This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    I don't know, they shouldn't have called Ohio so early. Romney is actually ahead right now on votes counted with 20% plus of the vote outstanding...
    Where are you getting those numbers from?

Live election results from The Huffington Post. Romney vs. Obama, Senate, House and ballot measures.

Has Obama ahead with 20% outstanding, although it's close

Even if Obama loses Ohio he still wins

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
      Where are you getting those numbers from?

Live election results from The Huffington Post. Romney vs. Obama, Senate, House and ballot measures.

Has Obama ahead with 20% outstanding, although it's close

Even if Obama loses Ohio he still wins
      It appears that way, yes, because he will likely take Colorado, Virginia and Florida anyway (along with everything else in play bar NC and Indiana of course). But in my opinion there is an issue when the losing campaign is waiting for a while after a mass media call to concede.
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

It appears that way, yes, because he will likely take Colorado, Virginia and Florida anyway (along with everything else in play bar NC and Indiana of course). But in my opinion there is an issue when the losing campaign is waiting for a while after a mass media call to concede.
        I'm kind of biased as I have half a beer left and want to go to bed, but I don't think there is any chance of it being other than an Obama victory now in both the electoral college and national vote

Nate Silver on the ohio race (a few mins ago)
        The votes counted so far in Ohio show an extraordinarily close race, with President Obama only about 1,000 ballots ahead of Mitt Romney as of 11.50pm.

But the vast bulk of precincts that have yet to report their results in Ohio are in counties that have gone for Mr. Obama.

Cuyahoga County, home to Cleveland, has had only half of its precincts report and could yield another 100,000 votes or so for Mr. Obama.

Toledo’s Lucas County, which has strongly favored Mr. Obama so far, has had only 12% of its precincts report.

There are also votes outstanding in the Cleveland suburbs, and in Dayton, also areas that have gone for Mr. Obama so far. Conversely, the vast majority of areas where Mr Romney leads have reported 100% of their ballots.

Comment

It's my fault, I'm not expressing my point properly. I don't disagree with what you're saying, obviously Obama is overwhelmingly likely to win now. But the disconnect between the call and concession is an issue imo. Rmoney's campaign is absolutely correct to be sitting on the situation right now (you'd do the same thing), and the media should take that into account imo.
          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

It's my fault, I'm not expressing my point properly. I don't disagree with what you're saying, obviously Obama is overwhelmingly likely to win now. But the disconnect between the call and concession is an issue imo. Rmoney's campaign is absolutely correct to be sitting on the situation right now (you'd do the same thing), and the media should take that into account imo.
            Conceding doesn't actually make any difference, Gore conceded and then withdrew his concession a few hours later. All the votes are already cast, you can't affect the result.

In any case I think they should concede, it's not overwhelmingly likely Obama wins, its probably close to a 99.9% certainty. It doesn't make a great deal of difference, but Romney needs to think about how he is perceived from this point on. He needs to set the tone of his defeat before other people (especially those within the republican party) do it for him.

Apparently Romney hasn't written a concession speech, maybe that's what he is doing now.

Comment

Even if Romney won Ohio, Florida and Virginia, and he is behind in all 3, he would still lose anyhow, so unless there was a miracle in Colorado for example, it's irrelevant.

Comment

How else should the media do it?

If they are racing around and putting so much effort into projecting it they may aswel call it and do everything that goes with it.

Comment

It comes across badly if he draws out the concession imo.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                    It comes across badly if he draws out the concession imo.
                    At this stage, this is Romney being pressured to concede:

Comment

He's conceded already according to fox

Comment

He's conceded already according to fox
                        Should be on stage any minute now...

Comment

The most interesting part of tonight is how the 'traditional media' and the usual pundits were completely exposed by statistical bloggers such as Nate Silver. There was times it felt like I was reading about 2 different campaigns going from 1 to the other.

Comment

Originally posted by cooker3 View Post
                            The most interesting part of tonight is how the 'traditional media' and the usual pundits were completely exposed by statistical bloggers such as Nate Silver. There was times it felt like I was reading about 2 different campaigns going from 1 to the other.
                            Nate has gone 50 for 50 unless Florida moves for Rmoney at the last moment.

Comment

Nate has gone 50 for 50 unless Florida moves for Rmoney at the last moment.
                              51 for 51 surely including DC, but excluding the couple of states like Maine who divide their votes potentially.

/nitpick

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                51 for 51 surely including DC, but excluding the couple of states like Maine who divide their votes potentially.

/nitpick

Comment

Decent concession speech. Concession speeches are probably my favourite part of elections. IMO Romney was a bit too jaunty and upbeat to be a classic. I kind of got the sense he hadn't really taken the whole thing in. Here are the three best concession speeches I remember:

3 - Mc Cain 2008 Excellent tone & Delivery. Managed to capture the tone and mood of the situation.

2 Major loses to Blair, 1997. Confirming suspicions that Major was much too nice a guy to be leader of the Tories, Major concedes as if he has just lost a particularly close game of cricket, rather than being annihilated in a defining political battle

John Major's emotional concession speech during the UK General Election 1997. Taken from ITV's coverage.

1 Portillo 1997, Portillo, one of the most hated tories at a time when the tories were at the lowest ebbs, surprises everyone by conceding with dignity and grace. He even gets a joke in at the end. (skip to 5 min 30s)

The result for Enfield South in the 1997 General Election. Labour won by 1,500 votes after a swing of 17 per cent. This general election saw Labour gaining 1...

Comment

A well crafted victory speech.

Also great shout HJ - remember Major's words quite vividly actually.

Comment

thought that was meant to be close? pretty standard...think obama declared roughly around same time vs mcain. will romney go down in history as one of the worst republican pres. candidates as obama has hardly delievered on his promises although he has had to preside in tough times
                                      Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

I'm not sure what Obama's policies are but im sure they're good ones.

Comment

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Was the referendum on legalising marijuana nationwide or just in certain states?

Democrats were obv responsible for it given the affect it must've had on mobilising the young vote, I'm surprised there wasn't a bigger issue made of it by Fox et al.
                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                              Was the referendum on legalising marijuana nationwide or just in certain states?

Democrats were obv responsible for it given the affect it must've had on mobilising the young vote, I'm surprised there wasn't a bigger issue made of it by Fox et al.
                                              Just Washington State and Colorado. Also it is still illegal federally so if the FBI decide they want to arrest people in those states there's nothing to stop them. Basically the US is weird.
                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

So the black man wins. When is the rich white man ever gonna have power!?

Comment

Facebook stream is tilting with all the 'is feidir linn' flag wavers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                    there won't be a sheep shagged in Offaly this morning.
                                                    Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by cooker3 View Post
                                                      This - it was like something straight out of Moneyball.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul DukeIII
                                                        Would anyone care to dissaude me from my opinion that Obama @8/11 is the Lock of The Year? My opnion is based on the historic records of incumbents going for re-election, especially Dem ones (Carter only loser since for ever) and also the relative weakness of the current crop of Republican (not one electable candidate imo) putative candidates. Not to mention the total disarray apparent in the GOP.

in fact, scrub that, you can get the Dems @8/11 to win the presidency which I suppose covers us in the event of Obama dying

maximum lumpage imo. I intend to get enough on to cover a nice family holiday in 2013.
                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                          Facebook stream is tilting with all the 'is feidir linn' flag wavers.
                                                          Deactivate your account. It's liberating.
                                                          Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

There are few things i absolutely despise but one is the whole joe.ie / irish banter culture.

It drives me mad.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                              Yeah I'm on the fence about it really. It's good for the occasional photo or interesting link, but the signal to noise is minute.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                Yeah I'm on the fence about it really. It's good for the occasional photo or interesting link, but the signal to noise is minute.
                                                                I don't miss it. Facebook is only to remind you that your family and friends have babies and odd political opinions.

Comment

Anyone any experience of intrade? What's the best way of withdrawing for minimum rapage on ex fees?

Comment

Now for the Indians to do their thing

In three years time, I will inform you who the next US President will be

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                      Bonnes vacances!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                        Anyone any experience of intrade? What's the best way of withdrawing for minimum rapage on ex fees?
                                                                        According to their website a cheque costs €4. I love their commission structure, $4.99 flat fee per month!

I was going to ring them to see if they can issue cheques in Euros. They are based in dublin and use National Irish Bank afterall.
                                                                        Last edited by NewApproach; 07-11-12, 10:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                          Now for the Indians to do their thing
                                                                          'Naitive American' is the preferred nomenclature.

Racist.

Comment

'Naitive American' is the preferred nomenclature.

Racist.
                                                                            I would have said Injuns in that case, chief

Comment

Conceding doesn't actually make any difference, Gore conceded and then withdrew his concession a few hours later. All the votes are already cast, you can't affect the result.
                                                                              There are many people who believe that Gore conceding was the principal reason he did not get the presidency.

If Obama does win Florida which it looks like he may do it will be a massive achievement in the face of the extreme and convoluted measures taken by Jeb Bush and Rick Scott to make it very difficult for poor African Americans to vote.

Looking at the whole process and the one that is underway in China at the moment where a change in government is occurring at the moment and there is a very interesting compare and contrast to be done.
                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

So much free time to do stuff that ironically would make decent updates. Facebook is a pain in the balls and people soon readjust and call, text or email you if anything of interest is happening.

I see 99% less pictures of peoples kids and pets doing adorable things I don't care about.

Comment

Do people not realise there's nothing wrong with having a facebook account which you go on once a week? It's not like you have to spend hours a day on it in order to have the account. It is only as much of a time sink as you allow it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                                                                    So the black man wins. When is the rich white man ever gonna have power!?
                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                      Do people not realise there's nothing wrong with having a facebook account which you go on once a week? It's not like you have to spend hours a day on it in order to have the account. It is only as much of a time sink as you allow it to be.
                                                                                      Sure but for those of you trying to live more active lives doing your stalking the old fashioned way hiding in bushes and running away when startled is much better than sitting at a keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                        People in general are idiots. It's hilarious listening to muppets talking about deleting facebooks and the likes. Who fucking cares you dopes

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                          So much free time to do stuff that ironically would make decent updates. Facebook is a pain in the balls and people soon readjust and call, text or email you if anything of interest is happening.

I see 99% less pictures of peoples kids and pets doing adorable things I don't care about.
                                                                                          Something I've noticed recently is that people assume you know what's going on in their lives now even though you may not have spoken in months.

I presume this is because they think you are following them on their Facebook account. The fact that I only had an account for a few months and only then to follow my brother on his world travels seems irrelevant! It's actually quite an interesting observation to notice in certain people as they are clearly stalking the shit out of people and assume everyone else is doing the same!! lol
                                                                                          Last edited by V for Vendetta; 07-11-12, 11:12.
                                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
                                                                                            People in general are idiots. It's hilarious listening to muppets talking about deleting facebooks and the likes. Who fucking cares you dopes
                                                                                            If you only want to hear about things that interest you and you agree with turn off the internet and talk to yourself.

Comment

Try to retrieve my password from Fulltilt, they have sent me a temporary password but it is not showing up in my inbox or spam folder, is there any other filters I could check in Yahoo mail where it might of got stuck?

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                                Try to retrieve my password from Fulltilt, they have sent me a temporary password but it is not showing up in my inbox or spam folder, is there any other filters I could check in Yahoo mail where it might of got stuck?
                                                                                                Took a couple of hours for me to get my password reset the other day

Comment

If you only want to hear about things that interest you and you agree with turn off the internet and talk to yourself.
                                                                                                  On the contrary, the democratisation of media has resulted in a whole world of bias confirming pull media experiences for those who wish it.

Think a drug has nasty side effects? Google it and spend the next 2 hours reading reports from people complaining about it. Think an actor is bad? Google "X is a bad actor" and confirm your bias to your heart's content. Like neo-nazism? Stormfront. Conspiracy theory about anything? Yup.

Comment

Congrats RDIII spend it wisely €€€€€

So in the end how close was the result or did Obama trounce him?
                                                                                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                      On the contrary, the democratisation of media has resulted in a whole world of bias confirming pull media experiences for those who wish it.

Think a drug has nasty side effects? Google it and spend the next 2 hours reading reports from people complaining about it. Think an actor is bad? Google "X is a bad actor" and confirm your bias to your heart's content. Like neo-nazism? Stormfront. Conspiracy theory about anything? Yup.
                                                                                                      Yes, but there's a danger you might see something that you disagree with!

Comment

What a cretin!

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                          Congrats RDIII spend it wisely €€€€€

So in the end how close was the result or did Obama trounce him?
                                                                                                          Not quite a trouncing but certainly a clear-cut EC victory. Never in doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                            Like neo-nazism? Stormfront...
                                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

What's the saying 'Feed a cold, starve a flu'?

Or should I just pill up and power through?
                                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                                What's the saying 'Feed a cold, starve a flu'?

Or should I just pill up and power through?
                                                                                                                eat normally if you can, take some paracetemol. If you actually have the flu go to a doctor.

Comment

lets just say you were going to bring a vegetarian out for dinner in Dublin. Where would be the best place to bring them?
                                                                                                                  To a steakhouse and knock that nonsense out of their head

Comment

lets just say you were going to bring a vegetarian out for dinner in Dublin. Where would be the best place to bring them?
                                                                                                                    veggie burger in supermacs.

Comment

They don't deserve to be brought out for a nice meal.

Comment

Thai or Indian is my default in general.

The Chameleon in Temple Bar does some lovely Indonesian food and has a whole menu for the veggies. It's not very fancy but it's got a nice vibe, the service is very good and the food is very clean tasting.

Pro tip: If you don't think you can bring her around to meat eating eventually (ba doom tish!) once you've had your ride be done with her.
                                                                                                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Pro tip: If you don't think you can bring her around to meat eating eventually (ba doom tish!) once you've had your ride be done with her.

or just turn up at the next dinner date with a bag flahavan's in one hand and a dead calf in the other,that usually does the trick.
                                                                                                                          Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X