This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
    I have been watching stuff on the laptop recently through the TV just using a normal monitor cable. The thing works fine except the sound still comes through the laptop and not the TV. This means I have to hook it up to the surround sound which is not ideal.

Is there an easy way to rectify this? Am I just not clicking something on the tele/laptop?
    is it a VGA/DVI cable or a HDMI?
    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
      but he's half man, half bull. He has hands. a bulls head. He's a minotaur.
      All Labradors are dogs but not all dogs are Labradors. Get it now? Minotaur refers to one specific creature, not any half man, half bull.
      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
        I have been watching stuff on the laptop recently through the TV just using a normal monitor cable. The thing works fine except the sound still comes through the laptop and not the TV. This means I have to hook it up to the surround sound which is not ideal.

Is there an easy way to rectify this? Am I just not clicking something on the tele/laptop?
        If your laptop has a HDMI port then it will do both audio/visual if not you're basically out of luck and will need to connect it to the sound system.
        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
          I need a new wok, my one has had 4 years of hard cooking and is starting to look a bit worse for wear. Asia market place off the Kylemore you were on about before?
          no thats an indian supermarket off the Fonthill Rd. You'll get the wok in Asia market on Drury Street.

You'll get one like this for about €12 and it is a much better yoke than any of the really expensive ones you can buy.
          You need to season it by burning in a layer of sunflower oil till its blackened through. After that you only ever give it a quick rinse or just wipe it with a towel and it will last for ever. Never soak or scrub it.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
            I'm leaving. Think I'll just get a box of Roses or something, save the hassle of going to a bakery. Always been the norm here for the person leaving to bring something in whether it be cake or what not, and the rest to split the cost of another cake!
            Get buns in Munchies if in Dublin

Comment

From wiki.

"Minotaur" was originally a proper noun in reference to this mythical figure. The use of "minotaur" as a common noun to refer to members of a generic race of bull-headed creatures developed much later, in 20th-century fantasy genre fiction.

So Kayroo is correct in an old-fashioned way, and Zod is correct in a modern funky cool way.

Comment

A woman who was reported missing from an Icelandic tour unwittingly joined a search for herself.
                According to the Reykjavik Grapevine, a woman described as "Asian, about 160cm, in dark clothing and speaks English well" was listed as missing Saturday near the Eldgjá volcanic canyon in southern Iceland.
                A search continued through the weekend with reports saying she got off a tour bus and never returned.
                It turns out the woman merely changed clothes during the bus stop, and after she returned, those on the bus didn't recognize her.
                When the description of the "missing" woman was circulated, apparently the lady who changed her outfit didn't recognize the description of herself. So she joined the search party.
                About 50 people searched the area in vehicles and on foot, and a helicopter was ready to assist.
                Eventually it occurred to the "missing" woman that she could very well be the person everyone was looking for, and she promptly reported herself as safe and sound to police.
                The search was called off early Sunday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                  Anyone got any good recommendations on reasonably priced restaurants that have good Irish food in the city centre?
                  I've been to Gallagher's Boxty House in Temple Bar a couple times and it's pretty good decent enough value too.
                  Looking for other options

Not sure - The Farm?

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                    Anthropomorphised bull.
                    Wouldn't quite agree with that.
                    Anthropomorphism usually means the characteristics of human behaviour and I suppose in it's usual parlance, human like facial features and emotions.
                    Bully had arm stubble and most importantly hands, which would put him firmly in Minotaur realm in my opinion.
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                      Minotaur surely, even an anthropomorphised bull wouldn't have the reversible thumbs needed to throw darts, so he must have been half man, half bull.

goddamnit AJ
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

There was only one Minotaur. It's not like a Centaur or a Nymph where classical literature and fiction refer to them either as a species or as there being more than one. The Minotaur was a unique creature in mythology. It's only in modern times that we have used the term generically to mean "half man, half bull".

Conceptually it would be like any large lake based creature being referred to as "A Loch Ness Monster" whereas, axiomatically, there can be only one.
                        SPOILER
                        Intended Highlander reference
                        Not true.
                        Minotaur's have appeared in lion the witch and the wardrobe.
                        Time bandits
                        Dantes inferno (divine comedy)
                        Numerous movies.
                        A fair few fantasy novels
                        And closer to home in the de dannan tales. Though for the life of me I cannot recall
                        The proper name.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                          And closer to home in the de dannan tales. Though for the life of me I cannot recall
                          The proper name.
                          Bully.

Comment

I really need to read the thread before jumping in

Comment

Anyone got any good recommendations on reasonably priced restaurants that have good Irish food in the city centre?
                              I've been to Gallagher's Boxty House in Temple Bar a couple times and it's pretty good decent enough value too.
                              The Pigs Ear. Book ahead.
                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Not true.
                                O'rly ?

Comment

My mate works here, been a few times and always been vgood.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                    The Pigs Ear. Book ahead.
                                    Looks v good, but need somewhere for this evening. Will def have a look into that though soon.

Comment

Not true.
                                      Time bandits
                                      Dantes inferno (divine comedy)
                                      Numerous movies.
                                      A fair few fantasy novels
                                      The proper name.
                                      Only one of those was written outside the 20th century and Dante refers to The Minotaur, not a minotaur (working from memory here so I stand to be corrected).

Also I don't think there's a Minotaur in CS Lewis is there???

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                        O'rly ?
                                        Ya`rly
                                        Last edited by DeadParrot; 30-08-12, 15:54.

Comment

Only one of those was written outside the 20th century and Dante refers to The Minotaur, not a minotaur (working from memory here so I stand to be corrected).

Also I don't think there's a Minotaur in CS Lewis is there???
                                          maybe not in LW&W but there are halfman half bull creatures, like Bully, or Minotaurs, if you will, in Prince Caspian.

Comment

Yes
                                            Ah ok. Even so that is a 20th century piece of fiction and therefore fits perfectly with what I said

Comment

Holy shit what have you started Zod.

Sooner the murderball starts the better.

Comment

Oh did anyone else see Boris getting interviewed last night and saying how he likes wheel chair basket ball and thinks its way superior to the ordinary version because it is way more violent and eh um eh a great game.

Opening ceremony made zero sense tho

Comment

Ah ok. Even so that is a 20th century piece of fiction and therefore fits perfectly with what I said
                                                  wait wait wait

There's factual works about Minotaur(s) ?

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                    Holy shit what have you started Zod.

Sooner the murderball starts the better.
                                                    better debate than another fecking 'where can I eat oysters on the halfshell and have a somellier tell me what wine should I drink with it?" conversation

p.s. Dublin Supremacy.

Comment

I KNOW I read about Minotaur type creatures in Irish mythology as well.
                                                      Half man half bull...Minotaur, half man half horse centaur....
                                                      Half man half goat satyr.
                                                      The etymology would seem concurrent.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                        wait wait wait

oh, so close! Here's what you could have won......

Comment

better debate than another fecking 'where can I eat oysters on the halfshell and have a somellier tell me what wine should I drink with it?" conversation
                                                          What other way would you eat them?
                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Ah the CL draw, Liverpool fans must feel like Muslims at Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                              wait wait wait

That's bull man.
                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                I didn't say "how"

Comment

Dog lying on my lap farting away. its mad as they sound like real human farts,
                                                                  . But fuck me do they smell
                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                    Not done much oyster eating, but presume this is blasphemy:

Comment

Ohhhhhhhh boys, Man city and Madrid.
                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
                                                                        Ah the CL draw, Liverpool fans must feel like Muslims at Christmas
                                                                        It's off to the usual start anyhow, utd draw lemons from group B. Probably get that Danish crowd from pot 4 and a medium strength pot 3 team.

Comment

How/Why does McManaman swing these gigs all the time alongside the like of Weah/Gullit etc?

Is there some sort of euro-crush on him?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                            It's off to the usual start anyhow, utd draw lemons from group B. Probably get that Danish crowd from pot 4 and a medium strength pot 3 team.
                                                                            I can't remember the last time they had a tough group on paper.

Although it is quite funny when they contrive to balls it up against mediocre opposition.
                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Real euro competition is on tonight anyhow.

Comment

Real euro competition is on tonight anyhow.
                                                                                Eurovision was months back.

Comment

Utd
                                                                                  Braga
                                                                                  Galatasary
                                                                                  Cluj

Handy group like last year then

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                    Utd
                                                                                    Braga
                                                                                    Galatasary
                                                                                    Cluj

Handy group like last every year then
                                                                                    FYP. City get another tough group.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                      Utd
                                                                                      Braga
                                                                                      Galatasary
                                                                                      Cluj

Handy group like last year then
                                                                                      Arsenal have the handiest group.

Cletic have an outside chance at second place, and a good chance at 3rd. Not expecting anything from the games but there were harder groups out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                        Would people here be interested in a nutrition/Health and Fitness thread, much like Ollies one about male fashion.

There's a tonne of questions asked daily about Health, Fitness and Nutrition which usually elicit a good informative answer from the posters who are interested in this stuff but it sometimes gets lost in the noise of the BBV. Most people find the info beneficial but might not see the actual post.

I'm thinking a thread where we can post blogs, studies, sites we find decent regarding the topic, where people who are looking to get their asses in shape can ask questions and get an answer noise free to help them along and where people can get a dig out with their workouts and stuff?

On the other hand, I guess it dilutes the BBV moreso but I think the benefits to the community would outweigh the negatives. There are quite a few posters here that are up to date, or knowledgeable in the area.

Thoughts?
                                                                                        Definitely should.
                                                                                        Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                                                        I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                                                        None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Man City have just had an 80m bid for Man Utd's group rejected

Comment

suggestions of nicest way to bake some rainbow trout?
                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

FYP. City get another tough group.
                                                                                                As I said to you elsewhere

Would prefer a harder group tbh, look at the disaster last season.

1999 - Group of Barcelona, Bayern and Brondby, quarter final of Inter Milan, semi final of Juventus and final of Bayern, and it was won that year.

Ya Utd always get easy draws alright, nothing to do with them being number one seeds based on consistent CL performance and thereby automatically avoiding the best of the teams in the competition. Btw lets not even get started on some of the European 'heavyweights' Liverpool beat back in the distant past to win some of their titles.

Comment

Started the Health and Fitness thread boys and girls.
                                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

...
                                                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Just got it all in v huge donk chip leader on 7786 board with 89. I had big stack. He snaps with 6 10 and of course 6 on river. Serious tilt
                                                                                                      Last edited by eamonhonda; 30-08-12, 17:13.
                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                        I don't have any advice on cooking it, but should replace 'nicest' with 'tastiest'. Think nicest suggests you are trying to do the trout a favour.
                                                                                                        i actually only thought that a minute ago, why did i type nicest haha
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

...
                                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Is the Liverpool match on tv anywhere else tonight? Not available on ESPN in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                                                                                              Is the Liverpool match on tv anywhere else tonight? Not available on ESPN in Ireland.
                                                                                                              ITV4 on Sky/UPC
                                                                                                              Or filmon app on your fone
                                                                                                              or loads of places for a stream

Comment

When is the match draw done for the champions league?
                                                                                                                Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                  Stop now. You dont appreciate it.
                                                                                                                  I thought that opening was fucking brilliant
                                                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                                                  Walter tells Declan that his knockoff blue crystal is “some tepid off-brand generic cola,” while the Heisenberg product is “classic Coke.” And while Declan could take the real stuff off the market and secure a monopoly for his stuff, “Do you really want to live in a world without Coca-Cola?”

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                    Man City have just had an 80m bid for Man Utd's group rejected
                                                                                                                    Shamelessly stolen for FB

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                                                                                                      Last time it wasn't available on ESPN Ireland it was still on anyhow. I think the Newcastle game is on ITV4.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                                        Well in that case I guess get whatever you recon. Perhaps people have left the offices I worked in on different circumstances.

Either useless and fired or traitor and left for the competition. Cake is inappropriate in either case I guess.
                                                                                                                        Our last intern brought in Roses and Celebrations, was a nice touch from someone probably looking to get a job post college. Not many full time employees have left on such good terms alright!

Either The Pig's Ear or The Winding Stair, both are v good

Comment

Arsenal have the handiest group.

Cletic have an outside chance at second place, and a good chance at 3rd. Not expecting anything from the games but there were harder groups out there.
                                                                                                                          The other 7 are harder as they don't have Celtic in them , 2 home draws if they play well...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X