This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    I'd say there'll be a by-election pretty soon seen as two government candidates were well clear in 5th and 6th
    Denillson (FG) and Nulty (Labour) got a huge amount of their votes from DrLeo and JoanBurton though, they all start with a level playing field this time, and neither are particularly impressive.

Interesting to see whether FF run with no-hoper McGuiness who ran in March, or parachute in a big name.

Its a very left leaning constituency, wouldn't be at all surprised to see another ULA candidate take it.
    Shinners have never contested seriously as Comrade Joe mops up their territory but they might make a serious push for it now.

Could be a great betting heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Ah, I wish he had had 'policies'! That word implies strategy, thinking, analysis.

Instead we got panicked insane measures based on incorrect analysis - and mainly aimed at shoring up the wealth of Fianna Fail's donor base.

You know I've been posting about that and the fallout for years - what do you want me to do, turn around and say 'he was a great man entirely'? Typical Irish hypocrisy.
      Hypocrisy and decorum are uncomfortable bedfellows.
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

All knowing BBV.

My mortgage normally comes out on the 11th of each month. I get paid on the 20th so its hardly ideal.

I rang PTSB and asked them to change it to come out on the 22nd of each month. The girl said no problem but it probably wont apply this month.

Yesterday she rang me and told me that this months payment will now come out on the 22nd. Does this mean I am now free to spend this month mortgage money and let it come from my next wage packet? Or am I missing something?

Comment

The time for anger with lenihan and the peers who appointed him and thought so highly of him was 30 months ago. At least RDIII was saying it then too unlike the majority of revisionists in this country. Today a family lost a father and numerous people lost their jobs.

As for the question of his leadership candidacy and running in the recent election I can speculate a number of reasons both kind and unkind. I guess we'll never know now....
          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by GingerMilla View Post
            Some bad decisions as minister for finance but he certainly did'nt cause the banking crisis.
            But he was at the heart of the party and administration that did. This was no accident, this was avoidable, this was caused in order to allow a short term bonanza for those close to that administration. Surely everyone understands that by now

Originally posted by GingerMilla View Post
            Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
            Yup, but you didn't need it when it was clear to people who did understand and could have taken action from 2004 what was going on.

My Children are forced into emigration because of his decisions.
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
              As for the question of his leadership candidacy and running in the recent election I can speculate a number of reasons both kind and unkind. I guess we'll never know now....
              I think both options may well apply, at least I'm sure the less savoury option was at least talked about indirectly amongst the party. Your individual outlook will weigh in favour of one or the other.
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                All knowing BBV.

My mortgage normally comes out on the 11th of each month. I get paid on the 20th so its hardly ideal.

I rang PTSB and asked them to change it to come out on the 22nd of each month. The girl said no problem but it probably wont apply this month.

Yesterday she rang me and told me that this months payment will now come out on the 22nd. Does this mean I am now free to spend this month mortgage money and let it come from my next wage packet? Or am I missing something?
                don't spend it and stay a month ahead?
                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                  Seriously Glynn, being honest and objective about a man's legacy is one thing but you are bordering on vindictive.
                  No, I'm being objective (or at least I hope so). I didn't know BL and I don't know anyone directly affected by his death, his passing does not affect me personally - obviously it is sad for his family and friends. I have already said this.

Is pointing out that he was an appalling Minister for Finance 'vindictive'? I have been saying this for years, the fact that he's dead makes no difference.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by BallymoreChris View Post
                    @ RDIII would the points you are making not be more suitable to be an attack on the system and not the individual?

re the Jackie Healy comment....what do you suggest? remove the vote from certain people?

fwiw I don't believe that democracy works but its the best of a bad bunch of solutions.

If you had a sick family member and were looking for the right treatment would you ever ask for a show of hands from a large group of random people to decide what to do?

The same can be said for foreign/social/economic policy but what do you suggest as a better system?
                    we could obviously go around this all day, I don't know how it has morphed into a debate about the merits of democracy per se

I've given my opinion on BL, what's yours?

Do you think Lenihan was a good Minister for Finance? What's his political legacy?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                      If I may distract RDII for a few moments.

I just opened a Keytrade account. Just how safe is it (in absolute and relative terms) before I ship all my loots over there?
                      it's basically a Credit Agricole account

I think it's pretty safe, certainly compared to an Irish bank account it's 'very safe'. All bets are off in the event of catclysmic Eurozone breakup obviously.

They did suffer a recent downgrade, due to Greek exposure.

Comment

All knowing BBV.

They will probably take the month and the extra ten days
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Not one Munster player in the starting 15 for the Irish U20s this weekend and only 2 on the bench. It won't be long before Lloyd's beloved Munster are third in the pecking order of Irish rugby. I'd give it 2 years.

Comment

TG4 Win rights to the delayed coverage of Heineken Cup over RTE.

http://mobro.co/zuroph
                            donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

All knowing BBV.

Originally posted by Zod View Post

During the first break we will also be running a few other fundrasing events for IrishPokerBoards.com

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

*live Omaha flips table, €5 min/max per player (€2 will be taken from every pot for IPB)*
                              *Raffle, (€2 each per ticket or 3 tickets for €5 & 7 for €10) List of prizes available on the night (Mostly tournament entries)*
                              *High card shootout, €10 (€8+ €2 to IPB) to enter 32 max entries, all heads up 1 card only rounds!*

This obv

Comment

No, I'm being objective (or at least I hope so). I didn't know BL and I don't know anyone directly affected by his death, his passing does not affect me personally - obviously it is sad for his family and friends. I have already said this.

Is pointing out that he was an appalling Minister for Finance 'vindictive'? I have been saying this for years, the fact that he's dead makes no difference.
                                It's the undertone that seems apparent in your Healy-Rae comment and the idea of intelligence in Fianna Fail. They are very unkind to the man without any cause to be so. He was an excellent intellect, a Senior Counsel at a very young age, extraordinarily capable as a Minister for Justice (a portfolio he had for far too short a time) and, from what I understand, a very adept local politician.

By associating him with Healy-Rae you demean him. By undermining his intelligence you take a valid criticism of his performance as Minister of Finance to a level that I can best describe as mean-spirited.

I agree he did a bad job but he took the all-time poisoned chalice and never put it down even when the absolute greatest reason he could possibly have had to do so became known to us all Christmas before last. He deserves and will receive criticism from all quarters for a long time to come as being the Captain of the Titanic Economy as she spectacularly sank but to criticise Brian Lenihan as a man, which you are implicitly doing in my respectful opinion by your Healy-Rae and intelligence comments, is completely uncalled for.

If I have misjudged your comments I apologise but that is certainly how they read to me.
                                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                  Not one Munster player in the starting 15 for the Irish U20s this weekend and only 2 on the bench. It won't be long before Lloyd's beloved Munster are third in the pecking order of Irish rugby. I'd give it 2 years.
                                  Ahem 4th Connacht

Comment

History will record that he was in charge on one of our worst days but there was more to him than that.
                                    twitter
                                    moneybookers

Comment

On a FAR lighter note I've finally taken the plunge into twitter.

So my question is... Who should I be following?

Comment

It's the undertone that seems apparent in your Healy-Rae comment and the idea of intelligence in Fianna Fail. They are very unkind to the man without any cause to be so. He was an excellent intellect, a Senior Counsel at a very young age, extraordinarily capable as a Minister for Justice (a portfolio he had for far too short a time) and, from what I understand, a very adept local politician.
                                        I think we are approaching BL through two different prisms; you have a legal background, I have a financial one. It's natural for you to be impressed by the fact that he was a barrister and also that he was a good Minister for Justice (this seems to be a common consensus and I have no reason to doubt it).

However, when viewing BL from my perspective, the only thing that matters from the point of view of assessing his political record was his tenure as Minister for Finance. This was an unmitigated disaster that has ruined an entire country and yes, looking at the decisions taken, I sincerely doubt whether he was an intelligent man. Perhaps this was linked to his illness, I don't know. Perhaps he was badly advised. Perhaps he was a prisoner of corrupt forces. We may never know. In any case, he was the man in charge when the biggest series of idiotic blunders were taken by an irish politician - ever. I see nothing to admire in that.

You'll often have seen similar comment from me on the economic records of Ahern and Cowen; it's not like I'm saying anything new here btw

Comment

Brian Lenihan's biggest ever mistake was getting into politics.

He seemed far too clever for it, but too proud to realise he was out of his depth.

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                            Brian Lenihan's biggest ever mistake was getting into politics.

He seemed far too clever for it, but too proud to realise he was out of his depth.
                                            it's very hard to get out of the family business in any walk of life

Comment

I think we are approaching BL through two different prisms; you have a legal background, I have a financial one. It's natural for you to be impressed by the fact that he was a barrister and also that he was a good Minister for Justice (this seems to be a common consensus and I have no reason to doubt it).

However, when viewing BL from my perspective, the only thing that matters from the point of view of assessing his political record was his tenure as Minister for Finance. This was an unmitigated disaster that has ruined an entire country and yes, looking at the decisions taken, I sincerely doubt whether he was an intelligent man. Perhaps this was linked to his illness, I don't know. Perhaps he was badly advised. Perhaps he was a prisoner of corrupt forces. We may never know. In any case, he was the man in charge when the biggest series of idiotic blunders were taken by an irish politician - ever. I see nothing to admire in that.

You'll often have seen similar comment from me on the economic records of Ahern and Cowen; it's not like I'm saying anything new here btw
                                              I remember saying it seems like the cancer had spread to his brain when he was saying we have turned the corner etc he clearly was very ill and should have spend as much time with his young family as possible.

Having had relatives die from cancer ive seen up close the changes in mind and body be it the condition or the treatment this disease brings and no way should he have been left in control of the finance ministry.

He seemed utterly clueless and delusional in the post.

And we as a country will reap the rewards of that legacy for many decades

Comment

aha!

gay-boy is in the betting for the FG nomination now
                                                now:

4/7 Cox
                                                7/4 Gay-boy
                                                5/1 MMcG

Cox was 1/7 yesterday

Comment

Don't let Gay win.

His son was in my school. On his first day, when they were putting everyone into classes, they called out "Gabriel Mitchell" 4 times before he put his hand up and said that he was Eoin, and that that was his dad's name.

Gay had written his own name on the application for the secondary school.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                    No chance hookers and Heineken the whole way

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                    They will probably take the month and the extra ten days
                                                    I rang them and asked how much they were going to take and its the same as last months

Comment

People are talking about the decisions that BL made here like he was the manager of a football team or something which is ridicules.

Yes he was in charge of the dept but he had a boss too. Plus there is a huge amount of civil servants and advisers that are there who all seemed to get it wrong.
                                                      twitter
                                                      moneybookers

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                        it wasnt the iphone
                                                        Ah it was the old junker obviously lost on purpose

Why no iPhone yet?
                                                        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by BallymoreChris View Post
                                                          People are talking about the decisions that BL made here like he was the manager of a football team or something which is ridicules.

Yes he was in charge of the dept but he had a boss too. Plus there is a huge amount of civil servants and advisers that are there who all seemed to get it wrong.

I agree. Lenihan is/was basically a spokesperson. While he gets the final say he simply does what the Dept. of finance tell him and then what Cowen agreed upon. It's not like he had completely lost his marable and was acting on the first thing that came into his mind and no one had control over him.

Comment

I just don't think this comment is reasonable. The rest I largely agree with.

If you were asked to do my job and then I gave you the most difficult legal case that had been before the Courts in the history of the State you would fail spectacularly at it. Similarly if I was asked to do yours under equivalent circumstances.

Lenihan did a job that NOBODY in that Government was capable of doing because they all realised he was the only one with even the slightest hope of getting to grips with the situation. That he failed spectacularly is undisputed. That the deck was stacked against him is equally undisputed. He tried his best, from what I know of him, to do what he thought was right. That he failed in that endeavour will haunt us for a long time and he deserves his criticism for that but I do not think he deserves the personal criticisms that are, rightly, lodged at Bertie and Haughey in particular.

The man was a Senior Counsel at the age of 38. His intelligence is beyond question.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                I agree. Lenihan is/was basically a spokesperson. While he gets the final say he simply does what the Dept. of finance tell him and then what Cowen agreed upon. It's not like he had completely lost his marable and was acting on the first thing that came into his mind and no one had control over him.
                                                                Teddie, you really need to read up on the Bank Guarantee. Lenihan and Cowen completely overruled the advice of their own civil servants. The DoF honchos were horrified at what transipred.

Comment

The DoF honchos were horrified at what transipred.
                                                                  Interested to read more on this if you can hook me up with some links?

Comment

What would I expect to pay for this?

454g Rindless Back Bacon
                                                                    454g Best Pork Breakfast Sausage
                                                                    454g Pork, Leek & Stilton Butchers Sausage
                                                                    2 x 170g Skinless Chicken Fillets
                                                                    454g Minced Beef Steak
                                                                    2 x 170g Beef Rump Steaks
                                                                    2 x 170g Pork Loin Steaks
                                                                    2 x 170g Gammon Steaks
                                                                    1.2kg Beef Topside Joint

Comment

I just don't think this comment is reasonable. The rest I largely agree with.

If you were asked to do my job and then I gave you the most difficult legal case that had been before the Courts in the history of the State you would fail spectacularly at it. Similarly if I was asked to do yours under equivalent circumstances.
                                                                      This is why we are specialists and why specialisation is a good thing. Being a good lawyer does not mean you will be able to come to grips with financial markets. And vice versa.

Martin should have been given the MinFin job; at least he had some experience in an economic ministry (this was very much the expectation at the time, remember). Lenihan had no experience, no relevant training and, unfortunately, no clue.

Comment

Teddie, you really need to read up on the Bank Guarantee. Lenihan and Cowen completely overruled the advice of their own civil servants. The DoF honchos were horrified at what transipred.

I must do, I didn't hear about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                          Bombay Pantry have such an excellent lunch-time deal: curry or tikka masala + rice for €5. Contentedly stuffed to the gills!

Handing in the passport express application so had an opportunity to see a post office for the first time in ages. Rathmines post office must have had eight counters open at the same time - great speed to the line, but would have you thinking whether that amount of people needed to be working there. No attempt to cross-sell either: no photo booth for photos for the passport despite most people handing in their application at the post office, and heaven forbid that they would be sensible enough to sell envelopes etc.
                                                                          Rathmines Post Office is massive - so much bigger than most others! I get the feeling that it is a real old-fashioned workplace, and in reality is run more for the employees' benefit rather than the customers; you get this feeling in most BOI / AIB branches as well, long waits in line to be met by uninterested staff chatting among themselves in front of customers - what a surprise both of these businesses are failues and the employees are now public servants for all intents and purposes

Comment

34 euro

Comment

This is why we are specialists and why specialisation is a good thing. Being a good lawyer does not mean you will be able to come to grips with financial markets. And vice versa.

Martin should have been given the MinFin job; at least he had some experience in an economic ministry (this was very much the expectation at the time, remember). Lenihan had no experience, no relevant training and, unfortunately, no clue.
                                                                              Technocracy is the only way to go

Comment

And here, finally, we can agree.

Comment

Ah just back from the friday food fair in the Fitzwilliam square park. Fantastic food and anyone in the area should give it a go at somestage. Once the sun finally comes out it will be class to just sit out with Paella and venison squewers thinking about how its only a few hours till beer time

Comment

...

Comment

Purely because the Dublin Bus website is piss-poor. Is there anyway to get from Dundrum to Bray? or any stop on the Luas line where you'd be able to get a bus to Bray?
                                                                                      145 anywhere on the N11. There's one every 5seconds basically.

Probably a ~ 40min walk from Dundrum Town Centre to a stop, or else just Luas to Stillorgan and wander down to N11 from there.
                                                                                      Last edited by Emmet; 10-06-11, 13:05. Reason: Probably underestimated the walk a bit!

Comment

I think that is definitley true. I was surprised that our current govt fell into the same trap of giving out ministries on a random draw or however it was settled on rather than looking at who has the better skill set.
                                                                                        The recruiter in me was angered by selection process and the voter\taxpayer just confused and a little resigned.

Comment

Would depend on the quality of the meet tbh
                                                                                          e.g. for the beef, was it fast reared supermarket stuff or slow reared farmers market & hung to mature

In a supermarket, at a guess €45-50

you get it for €30?
                                                                                          Last edited by Guest; 10-06-11, 13:11.

Comment

All knowing BBV.

No chance hookers and Heineken the whole way

I rang them and asked how much they were going to take and its the same as last months
                                                                                            pay off the extra month now seeing as you have allready budgeted for it. will save you thousands in interest over the term of the mortgage

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Interested to read more on this if you can hook me up with some links?
                                                                                              there's loads of stuff out there, politics.ie would be a good resource or else the Irish Times archive

here's a flavour of it

"Their decision to give a blanket guarantee to Anglo Irish Bank and Irish Nationwide ignored clear warnings from professional advisers and senior civil servants to be cautious and was based on reasons that remain unclear to this day,"
                                                                                              There has never been any clarity over Anglo and INBS and why they were included in the Guarantee. No-one seriously believes the 'systemic' argument propounded at the time. The only thing those two institutions were systemic to was Fianna Fail.

Amazingly enough there is no written record of the discussions that took place that night. Convenient, eh?

Comment

Purely because the Dublin Bus website is piss-poor. Is there anyway to get from Dundrum to Bray? or any stop on the Luas line where you'd be able to get a bus to Bray?
                                                                                                Think 75 bus goes Dundrum to Dun Laoghaire, where u can get Dart.

Comment

Get the LUAS to the Stillorglin stop and we'll go for a pint

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                                                                                    34 euro
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
                                                                                                    Would depend on the quality of the meet tbh
                                                                                                    e.g. for the beef, was it fast reared supermarket stuff or slow reared farmers market & hung to mature

In a supermarket, at a guess, €45-50

you get it for €30- 35?
                                                                                                    Top quality meat.

Trying to figure out if this is a good business or not, or if they're pricing it wrong.

I really like the idea behind it, but I don't think that the price is right, and Tesco can undercut the shit out of it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan-Black View Post
                                                                                                      Ah just back from the friday food fair in the Fitzwilliam square park. Fantastic food and anyone in the area should give it a go at somestage. Once the sun finally comes out it will be class to just sit out with Paella and venison squewers thinking about how its only a few hours till beer time
                                                                                                      Google maps link please?

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
                                                                                                        Being that sick affects your brain, affects your view on life, that affects your thought processes, that affects your decisions, all very simple

Job should have been taken off him but I doubt anyone else in FF had the balls to do the job
                                                                                                        My view too....another way in which Cowen proves what a tw*t he is...a leader with zero leadership qualities

Comment

...

Comment

Cheers! - is Stilorgan Luas to the N11 a big walk? (considering the heavily pregnant gf)
                                                                                                            yes, 20 minutes or so

get a taxi instead

Comment

there's loads of stuff out there, politics.ie would be a good resource or else the Irish Times archive

here's a flavour of it
                                                                                                              I'll certainly read up on it but my initial thought is always to take with huge pinches of salt anything released in defense of oneself. Particularly from Govt. Departments and Quangos.

Comment

With the ipb game going ahead tomorrow we decided to run a football match, we have 21 confirmed and a few more provisionals so if anyone would like to come out to play, everyone will get a game and should be a laugh as the games normally are. Anyway pm me or post up in the thread linked below if interested

Comment

Can anyone help me with a media player/network sharing issue?

I have connected my WDHD player to the network following the instructions, but when I click on network shares nothing comes up. All i want is to share one folder with movies etc.

Any ideas?

Comment

Fitzwillaim Friday Food Fair
                                                                                                                    just down between the Fitz casino and leeson street in the park. Cant miss it really

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                                                                                                      Can anyone help me with a media player/network sharing issue?

I have connected my WDHD player to the network following the instructions, but when I click on network shares nothing comes up. All i want is to share one folder with movies etc.

Any ideas?
                                                                                                                      I use TVersity, but I think even Windows Media Player has Media Centre capabilities now.

I liked TVersity because it was straightfoward to set up though.
                                                                                                                      Just watch last 2 mins of this
                                                                                                                      [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2RgXFwk6PA[/ame]

And then this
                                                                                                                      [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgLzYeoCW0Q&feature=related[/ame]
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Emmet; 10-06-11, 13:23.

Comment

2 questions:

Have the names of the 5 Mexican players who failed drug tests been revealed?

I presume the fact that IPB and facebook are acting up are down to the individual websites and not from my end?
                                                                                                                        Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Top quality meat.

Trying to figure out if this is a good business or not, or if they're pricing it wrong.

I really like the idea behind it, but I don't think that the price is right, and Tesco can undercut the shit out of it too.
                                                                                                                          I somehow missed some of the "2 x"'s in your first list
                                                                                                                          I may have undercut the price a bit

Disclaimer: Me know nathing about owning a butchers etc

They are after a very different market to the 2 kg on mince steak in tesco market, so Tesco undercutting them doesn't really matter unless they become massive and are seen as a threat (which would never happen anyhu)

World of difference in the quality of the meat id imagine

from the site:
                                                                                                                          Your meat was fantastic. I choose to order from you as I'm sick of buying meat from supermarkets that are tasteless and filled with water, so by the time you have cooked what you think is a decent joint it shrinks to nothing. Your meat was full of flavour
                                                                                                                          Without looking at it too deeply, looks a decent price considering they are chasing the:
                                                                                                                          "I buy from the farmers market/quality butchers and like to tell people about it" mammy
                                                                                                                          and the lad with a bit of money in his pocket who really likes a good steak

+ cutting out the middleman

This kind of stuff has been going on in the USA for years AFAIK
                                                                                                                          Hope it works for them

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X