Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
    Watched 8th grade the other night, just remembered someone was talking about it here a few days ago. What a great little movie. absolutely loved it.
    Unpossible, it was MSN recommended it :
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
      I couldn't believe at the weekend that Twee was only 1/6 thought he should be 1/20.
      1/33

Comment

Kayne and Trump. What a time to be alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
          Kayne and Trump. What a time to be alive.
          This is why you are not allowed nice things, like a stable functioning democracy

Its hilarious how he's already apportioning blame for the inevitable failure of the one thing he was trying to claim he was responsible for

Also I thought of you when I saw these

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            Unpossible, it was MSN recommended it :
            Pretty sure it was Brady. Watched it as well. Thought it was good, but not great. Glad to see it's nowhere near what my kids are going through

Comment

what's the story with rugby on tv on a bogband connection with a sky dish and sub?
              Does a bt sports sub get me all the pro12 and all the European games or is it more complicated than that?

l

Comment

what's the story with rugby on tv on a bogband connection with a sky dish and sub?
                Does a bt sports sub get me all the pro12 and all the European games or is it more complicated than that?

l

whats your bogband speed?
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Refirbished laptops

Anyone here have any experience of refurbished laptops?

Newbie2ette jnr (9) wants a laptop. She has €200 from her birthday so was looking at some of the budget laptops bashing about, Such as the HP stream. From the poor reviews etc, I could easily see myself speeding far too much time sorting it out than she would have enjoying it.

Other options are the refurbished ones. I also think she would benefit from detachable touch screen also.

Any ideas?

i don't mind putting a few bob towards it if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post

Newbie2ette jnr (9) wants a laptop. She has €200 from her birthday so was looking at some of the budget laptops bashing about, Such as the HP stream. From the poor reviews etc, I could easily see myself speeding far too much time sorting it out than she would have enjoying it.

Other options are the refurbished ones. I also think she would benefit from detachable touch screen also.

Any ideas?

Does she need it for anything that a chromebook can't do?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                      whats your bogband speed?
                      I'd have to check what I'm getting at peak times but I think about 3 reliably
                      Netflix for instance will always stream but will often moves down to a non hd quality stream.

Might be able to move up to rural fibre but I'd need to get rid of a couple of trees one of which is on a not exactly cooperative neighbours land.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                        Does she need it for anything that a chromebook can't do?
                        Whats a chromebook? there seems to be lots of different makes of a chrome book, but what's the difference between that and a lapper?

Edit:

I'm just gonna google.

Seems its google's own OS. But not android? What is a chromebook limited to? I'm presuming a fair bit

This explains a lot: https://www.lifewire.com/chromebooks-vs-laptops-4163797
                        Last edited by newbie2; 12-10-18, 12:38.

Comment

Any ideas?

That is about as budget as you will get at around that price and very good for the money. Some more comments in the thread you can read about the pros and cons.

If you are going to spend more it is always worth keeping an eye on the laptop sections of UKHotDeals for a week or so and you will usually come across something good.

Opr

Comment

OK,
                            It looks like a chromebook is out. A bit limited going forward. Seems to be too reliant on a web connection. My knowledge of the chrome OS is limited also.

Budget Lappers look to be a bit of a pain, as the storage space is either limited or you can't expand without plugging in an external - which make it a little shit. Lag and general slow speeds to do anything is concerning.

I think I'm going to have to add a few quid and get a new one with at least 500GB of storage and a decent enough processor so that she's not constantly bugging me about how slow it is. Detachable touch screen may also be sacrificed.

Obviously posted in the other place looking for the nurds opinions. So will stall teh ball until a couple of replies form there.

Cheers folks

Comment

Obviously posted in the other place looking for the nurds opinions. So will stall teh ball until a couple of replies form there.

Cheers folks
                              Actually just noticed this one and it looks like a cracking deal. Battery at 4 hours is the only real negative.

Opr

Comment

Refurbs are grand imo

Pretty sure the one ive been using for last 6 years is a refurb, for most part, spec wise, it seems to stand up to new stuff is same price range as I bought it

Been looking myself (after deciding against a chromebook) and my next one will probably be a refurb

*Now to totally contradict myself The one big negative I can see in the current refurb market is a lot of the refurbs on offer have original release dates of 2011/2013, so even thought they will have been given a proper going over, fuck knows how old the machine is
                                Last edited by Guest; 12-10-18, 13:36. Reason: *

Comment

It seems because my meagre bogband is with Eir, for the moment at least, just by registering with them I can get all the eir sport channels for free on my sky box.
                                  I presume its a bait and switch operation with the charges coming in later but it looks like all I need now is to find the time to watch the games.

Comment

It seems because my meagre bogband is with Eir, for the moment at least, just by registering with them I can get all the eir sport channels for free on my sky box.
                                    I presume its a bait and switch operation with the charges coming in later but it looks like all I need now is to find the time to watch the games.
                                    Im with Eir broadband and have free BT and Eir over a year now at no extra cost.

Comment

Yeah my laptop is a refurb from dell which is great, 1080p, 256gb ssd, i7, has a graphics card etc. Cost 500 instead of a grand or something, brand new and sold as "scratch and dent" but nothing I can see. They put up new laptops every day on theor uk outlet store

Comment

Terminator gets closer and closer every day.

Atlas does parkour. The control software uses the whole body including legs, arms and torso, to marshal the energy and strength for jumping over the log and...

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                          Terminator gets closer and closer every day.

Atlas does parkour. The control software uses the whole body including legs, arms and torso, to marshal the energy and strength for jumping over the log and...

Opr
                                          ...Deadly looking...A robot will be answering MP questions in Westminster on Tuesday, am curious to see it although I wouldn't imagine they'll be the toughest of questions...

Comment

Center Parcs investing €230 million and hiring 1,000 people in Longford is an unbelievable good news story. I sort of thought at various times it would never happen but they had a big employment fair today and are due to open next year.

You could hear the sort of overjoyed disbelief in the voices of people being interviewed on the radio. Hopefully it all works out, it could be such a game changer for the place.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Longford could finally lose its title as the most nondescript county in Ireland. Have always suspected it didn't actually exist.

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                                                  Longford could finally lose its title as the most nondescript county in Ireland. Have always suspected it didn't actually exist.
                                                  I've been to Longford a few times, Carlow is a myth though, what province is it even in?
                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                                                    Think that's 'Leitrim'.

Longford a grand spot for a night or two

Comment

Bumping the Music King Grand Final thread for all you weekend rockers, roots and rhythm 'n' blues ravers. Vote for the music snob you hate least!

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Its one of the grimmest places in Ireland
                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Speaking of overjoyed disbelief on the radio, if you listen carefully you can hear MaryLou have a little orgasm as she was being interviewed about the Naughten resignation yesterday evening

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                            Granted you're not gonna bring a woman there to impress her but get a few mates together and it's a grand spot for a pub stomp.

Comment

Wasps making that very easy for Leinster

Comment

Wasps making that very easy for Leinster
                                                                Ah in fairness they are missing a lot of players and the likes of Willie le Roux coming off a 6 day turnaround from the championship can’t be very helpful. Anyway not Leinsters problem. Crack on and get a bonus point and no injuries please.
                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Comment

Think that's 'Leitrim'.

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                    Used to stay in Ballymahon for a few days here and there with my mate during my youth. Pretty sure 90% of the town was related.

Comment

Comment

Comment

What do you mean? Fairly simple to turn into a movie or do you thinking would be boring? I REALLY recommend the audio book

finished the selfish gene this evening, amazing book, hard to digest all at once.
                                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 13-10-18, 00:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                            I'd imagine there's a common interest here in Michael Lewis. He has a new book out that looks great.

Some of the reviews talk about his Trump take (which would bore us all senselessly at this stage), but the review linked there suggests the book is just classic Lewis goodness.
                                                                            Picked it up yesterday in a shop and read a couple of pages at random from the middle, it was terrifying.

Comment

Situation has come up in work. I work for a delivery company, they don't pay over time and don't expect you to stay over your time, if you don't get all your jobs done they just get moved to the next day (rarely happens).

Recently the owner has got it in his head he wants some extra stuff done on top of our regular jobs where we'd be expected to do a few hours over time each week. Manager said I'm the one that's been given these jobs and I can take any over time back as time in lieu. Grand says I, sounds good.

Last week, I did 4 and a half hours over, including an over night up north (thanks to JamieCarra for letting me crash), I asked my manager if I could finish at 1pm on Friday and we'd be back to 0 with hours owed then. He said yes, no problem.

I turn up for work on Friday and I'm given a full days work. I go out and do the ones that are "must be done" and head back to base at 2pm and leave. Tell manager I'm still owed an hour and 30 and could I come in at 10am Monday.

He starts saying oh sure if you're around now you can do this and that but I tell him I'm only taking the hours that I owed back.

Half thinking of having a chat and saying I either don't want to be doing over time if it's going to be this hard to get the time back or get it in writing that any over time done can be taken back on certain days. Any suggestions?

I know 4 and a half hours isn't much overall but I don't want to start working for nothing either. My regular hours are 8.30 to 5pm but I'd normally be in for 8am latest and had no problem staying after 5 to get a head start on the next day so I was doing a little over time as it was anyway and sometimes if I had a handy day I'd finish at 4 or 4.30 so it would all balance out.

I just wasn't happy at being given a full days work when they both knew I was supposed to be on a half day so if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it

Comment

The Lonely Battle of Thomas Reid opens in the IFI on Oct 19th with a Q&A afterwards with the Director - It's beautifully shot and is a great story of one man's battle against a global giant - Well worth a watch!

Comment

Situation has come up in work. I work for a delivery company, they don't pay over time and don't expect you to stay over your time, if you don't get all your jobs done they just get moved to the next day (rarely happens).

Recently the owner has got it in his head he wants some extra stuff done on top of our regular jobs where we'd be expected to do a few hours over time each week. Manager said I'm the one that's been given these jobs and I can take any over time back as time in lieu. Grand says I, sounds good.

Last week, I did 4 and a half hours over, including an over night up north (thanks to JamieCarra for letting me crash), I asked my manager if I could finish at 1pm on Friday and we'd be back to 0 with hours owed then. He said yes, no problem.

I turn up for work on Friday and I'm given a full days work. I go out and do the ones that are "must be done" and head back to base at 2pm and leave. Tell manager I'm still owed an hour and 30 and could I come in at 10am Monday.

He starts saying oh sure if you're around now you can do this and that but I tell him I'm only taking the hours that I owed back.

Half thinking of having a chat and saying I either don't want to be doing over time if it's going to be this hard to get the time back or get it in writing that any over time done can be taken back on certain days. Any suggestions?

I know 4 and a half hours isn't much overall but I don't want to start working for nothing either. My regular hours are 8.30 to 5pm but I'd normally be in for 8am latest and had no problem staying after 5 to get a head start on the next day so I was doing a little over time as it was anyway and sometimes if I had a handy day I'd finish at 4 or 4.30 so it would all balance out.

I just wasn't happy at being given a full days work when they both knew I was supposed to be on a half day so if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it
                                                                                  Maybe you could suggest the option of being paid for the overtime or taking the time in lieu depending on how busy it is. Once he has to start putting a price on the time it takes you to 'do this and that' on a Friday evening he might lose his casual attitude towards it.

Definitely have a conversation about it anyway I would say, and you would be very well advised to meticulously record your overtime/lieu time on paper if you are not already doing it.

Comment

...

Comment

Lads, I'm a long-time lurker here, don't post much, this situation (Dobby) is one I'm familiar with. My advice - similar to Keane and Hitch - nip it in the bud right now. Depending in your relationship with your manager/boss, Keane's approach is a little less confrontational to start, and maybe it will solve the problem. If not, or you're pretty sure it won't, run with Hitch solution. But one way or the other, sort it now. Good luck with it...

Comment

Sound advice. Thanks.

I have everything recorded already. I kinda knew when it came to getting the time back there would be a problem so wanted to be prepared to 'show my work'

Comment

Down there for dancing

Comment

Rather good trip around the world last night, feeling it today and I've to go carving pumpkins. Had my first Georgian and first orange wine all in in one go, they ferment and age their wine in Kvevri, clay vessels in the ground instead of wine barrels. You can see one on the label. An orange wine is pretty much the opposite of a rosé.
                                                                                            SPOILER

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 13-10-18, 12:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                              An orange wine is pretty much the opposite of a rosé.

Comment

Comment

Freddie Burns of Bath has had the worst 2 minutes of rugby ever.

edit : trailing 20-22 through 72 mins he missed a kick right in front of the posts, one of those unmissable chip shots.
                                                                                                  2 mins later he got what looked redemption as he broke through for a try - did all kissing the badge stuff and then got tackled as he was casually putting the ball down and it fell out.
                                                                                                  Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 13-10-18, 13:50.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                    So bad. And soul destroying " you're à liability" substitution.

Comment

edit : trailing 20-22 through 72 mins he missed a kick right in front of the posts, one of those unmissable chip shots.
                                                                                                      2 mins later he got what looked redemption as he broke through for a try - did all kissing the badge stuff and then got tackled as he was casually putting the ball down and it fell out.
                                                                                                      Flicked this on the +1 cos I thought it couldn't have been as bad as you posted but by jaysus it was worse! That's absolutely unforgivable from any player. Fair play to the Toulouse defender that didn't give up on the ball and made the tackle.

Comment

/

Comment

What a bellend.

Comment

Who says boxers aren't the cleverest bunch?

Comment

What a bellend.

Comment

Great result that for Munster. What was conway at before half time tho?

Comment

...

Comment

Every year the school here comes up with some slogan that ends up percolating throughout the school on t-shirts, posters, etc.
                                                                                                                    Is that your kids school or your uni?
                                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

This is some photo...

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

...

Comment

That is sadly the uni, but maybe the confusion is understandable
                                                                                                                          Why is the slogan in English?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X