Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Keanes 'begging the question point.

An oldie

How to Win Arguments
    By Dave Barry

I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me. You too can win arguments. Simply follow these rules:
    Drink Liquor.
    Suppose you're at a party and some hotshot intellectual is expounding on the economy of Peru, a subject you know nothing about. If you're drinking some health-fanatic drink like grapefruit juice, you'll hang back, afraid to display your ignorance, while the hotshot enthralls your date. But if you drink several large martinis, you'll discover you have STRONG VIEWS about the Peruvian economy. You'll be a WEALTH of information. You'll argue forcefully, offering searing insights and possibly upsetting furniture. People will be impressed. Some may leave the room.
    Make things up.
    Suppose, in the Peruvian economy argument, you are trying to prove Peruvians are underpaid, a position you base solely on the fact that YOU are underpaid, and you're damned if you're going to let a bunch of Peruvians be better off. DON'T say: "I think Peruvians are underpaid." Say: "The average Peruvian's salary in 1981 dollars adjusted for the revised tax base is $1,452.81 per annum, which is $836.07 before the mean gross poverty level."
    NOTE: Always make up exact figures.
    If an opponent asks you where you got your information, make THAT up, too. Say: "This information comes from Dr. Hovel T. Moon's study for the Buford Commission published May 9, 1982. Didn't you read it?" Say this in the same tone of voice you would use to say "You left your soiled underwear in my bath house."
    Use meaningless but weightly-sounding words and phrases.
    Memorize this list: Let me put it this way In terms of Vis-a-vis Per se As it were Qua So to speak
    You should also memorize some Latin abbreviations such as "Q.E.D.," "e.g.," and "i.e." These are all short for "I speak Latin, and you do not."
    Here's how to use these words and phrases. Suppose you want to say: "Peruvians would like to order appetizers more often, but they don't have enough money." You never win arguments talking like that. But you WILL win if you say: "Let me put it this way. In terms of appetizers vis-a-vis Peruvians qua Peruvians, they would like to order them more often, so to speak, but they do not have enough money per se, as it were. Q.E.D." Only a fool would challenge that statement.
    Use snappy and irrelevant comebacks.
    You need an arsenal of all-purpose irrelevent phrases to fire back at your opponents when they make valid points. The best are: You're begging the question. You're being defensive. Don't compare apples and oranges. What are your parameters?
    This last one is especially valuable. Nobody, other than mathematicians, has the vaguest idea what "parameters" means. Here's how to use your comebacks:

You say

As Abraham Lincoln said in 1873...

Your opponents says

Lincoln died in 1865.

You say

Your begging the question.

OR

You say

Liberians, like most Asians...

Your opponents says

Liberia is in Africa.

You say

You're being defensive.

Compare your opponent to Adolf Hitler.
    This is your heavy artillery, for when your opponent is obviously right and you are spectacularly wrong. Bring Hitler up subtly. Say: "That sounds suspiciously like something Adolf Hitler might say" or "You certainly do remind me of Adolf Hitler."
    So that's it: you now know how to out-argue anybody. Do not try to pull any of this on people who generally carry weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
      Not sure you got his point.
      Am sure I do... still prefer to keep the leg.

It is not a great example, after 5 years of winning the lotto your happiness would go back to the level it was before, sure. But after losing a leg, your level of happiness would go back to the same level... nope, personally I don't accept that. You would come to terms with it and you probably would bullshit to your family/friends that life still great, but part of you would probably never get over it.
      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
        How to Win Arguments
        By Dave Barry

NOTE: Always make up exact figures.
        If an opponent asks you where you got your information, make THAT up, too. Say: "This information comes from Dr. Hovel T. Moon's study for the Buford Commission published May 9, 1982. Didn't you read it?" Say this in the same tone of voice you would use to say "You left your soiled underwear in my bath house."
        Hitch obviously bought this one
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
          Am sure I do... still prefer to keep the leg.

It is not a great example, after 5 years of winning the lotto your happiness would go back to the level it was before, sure. But after losing a leg, your level of happiness would go back to the same level... nope, personally I don't accept that. You would come to terms with it and you probably would bullshit to your family/friends that life still great, but part of you would probably never get over it.
          Just because you never get over an traumatic injury doesn't mean you won't be averagely happy.

Although, If we always regress to the mean. I'd rather be the guy who's overjoyed and slides back, than the guy crawling out of misery.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
            Kayroo will be ecstatic.
            If he'd used the latin I would have had to change my trousers.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 05-03-18, 14:12.
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                Happiness is a terrible measure of quality of life anyway. At risk of going full Peterson, people need meaning and purpose. But first they need to not be dying from preventable illnesses.
                This actually gets back to an issue Immanuel Kant deals with in his Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals where, at page 34, he says:

Originally posted by Immanuel Kant
                Yet it is a misfortune that the concept of happiness is such an indeterminate concept that although every human being wishes to attain it, he can never say, determinately and in a way that is harmonious with himself, what he really wishes and wills. The cause of this is that all the elements that belong to the concept of happiness are altogether empirical, i.e., have to be gotten from experience, while for the idea of happiness an absolute whole, a maximum of welfare, is required, in my present and in every future condition. Now it is impossible for the most insightful, and at the same time most resourceful, yet finite being to make a determinate concept of what he really wills here. If he wills wealth, how much worry, envy, and harassment will he not bring down on his shoulders?

[...]

In short, he is not capable of determining with complete certainty, in accordance with any principle, what will make him truly happy, because omniscience would be required for that.
                I highly recommend anyone interested to read the linked copy of the full work. It's much shorter than the full link as there are a number of essays on the original piece also included.
                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  Some people and nations look to the future and see good and better things, some see doom and disaster and harken back to an earlier supposedly-better time.

That's the key divisor in politics imo. Europe is getting older, especially Italy, and older people generally view that the past was a better time and react well to politicians who promise a return to those magical days (when back pain didn't mean it took 30mins to get out of bed in the morning).

It's not necessarily wrong. But it's quite bewildering for a younger population. And also bewildering to young people in other countries watching these events, which make it seem like that country is racists etc, when really it's just that they have an older population.
                  but that doesn't make sense in an American context....explain Trump

Comment

Some people and nations look to the future and see good and better things, some see doom and disaster and harken back to an earlier supposedly-better time.

That's the key divisor in politics imo. Europe is getting older, especially Italy, and older people generally view that the past was a better time and react well to politicians who promise a return to those magical days (when back pain didn't mean it took 30mins to get out of bed in the morning).

It's not necessarily wrong. But it's quite bewildering for a younger population. And also bewildering to young people in other countries watching these events, which make it seem like that country is racists etc, when really it's just that they have an older population.
                    Will await stats on the voting demographics but my read on it was from the commentary I read that 5 star and the League have huge youth support. I don't think it can be explained away so easily as you have attempted to do.

Comment

Ourworldindata.org

Comment

Comment

The 5star Movements five central issues are "public water, sustainable transport, sustainable development, right to Internet access, and environmentalism".
                          Seems like a set of policies which would be likely to gain support among the young rather than the old. Perhaps akin to the young Corbynista phenomenon.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                            The 5star Movements five central issues are "public water, sustainable transport, sustainable development, right to Internet access, and environmentalism".
                            Seems like a set of policies which would be likely to gain support among the young rather than the old. Perhaps akin to the young Corbynista phenomenon.
                            Jesus.

In a country like Italy with one of the highest youth unemployment rates in the world....would they not start with'jobs'?

Comment

Is there a way to reset progress back to zero on a coursea course?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Fairly stunning results particulary for the League who have completely dominated the North of Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                      quite an interesting chapter in this in Sapiens.
                                      The tl;dr version is peoples baseline of happiness doesn't change much no matter the circumstances.
                                      SPOILER
                                      take a dude winning the lotto and a dude losing a leg. Ask them each before the event how happy they are and about 5 years later. The happiness shock will have abated and both should be normalized more or less.

Our desire to improve our happiness has dramatically increased (largely thanks to our perceived perception of the happiness of others) and we are looking for wackier and wackier ways to change it.
                                      Which also ties into the books quite ringing endorsement of buddahism
                                      There is a great part in that book where it talks about our movement from a gatherer people to a farming one and how we thought it would be great for us, however it was actually terrible. That we did not domesticate wheat, that it domesticated us. The tenet being that while yes our resources went up but so did our stresses (as they did with the industrial revolution also). When we were hunter-gatherers we spent a few hours of the day gathering food, we sustained a small population that the tribes could afford to sustain, said population got on great with each other, had very meaningful relationships and had a lot of free time (gathering food only took 2-3 hours per day). When farming came about we had abundant resources but unforeseen problems led to a decrease in happiness. More food simply meant that populations exploded, that farmers had to work way longer to get food than before, that disease was rampant due to the new clustered nature of living, that people became stagnant living in one area instead of living out their lives over hundreds of kilometres, relationships were not as vivid, that crops failed and thousands died. They had a shit time. By the time they figured out tehy wanted to go back it was too late, nobody remembered how to live as they lived before, there were also too many people for the land. Similarly the technological revolution just added more worries as well as comforts to our lives. Eventually it worked out better for us in the present day but not for the farmers.

Think we've only so much capacity for happiness and it relies on a more relative measure, something like expectations minus reality. In evolutionary terms, being content and happy doesn't do much for drive and the spread of the species. Don' think it's something that we should be using as the main measure.

Presume hotspur will pop in and school us at some stage.
                                      Happiness is terrible as it needs a bad side to know that you are happy. It's not sustainable. Contentedness is better because to be content for a lot of us would involve the drive you write of or you won't be content.

Originally posted by Keane View Post

I'm still reading that in drips and drabs so didn't realise there was much about Buddhism in it. I've been doing a lot of reading on that topic in the last couple of years and find the worldview very interesting.

The example in your spoiler is a good one. It sort of raises a question about whether scrambling to achieve increased materiel wealth is just a big waste of time for most of us.

Yeah I think life expectancy - where it suggests better genereal health at least - is the easiest measure to agree on.
                                      Chapter 12 I believe, I just listened to it this morning. My post to Denny above was a direct quote from it and Buddhism - Craving leads to suffering. Basically desiring things will lead you to be unhappy/discontent.

The Four Noble Truths of Buddhism are stated in simple terms as:
                                      1. Suffering exists
                                      2. Suffering arises from attachment to desires
                                      3. Suffering ceases when attachment to desire ceases
                                      4. Freedom from suffering is possible by practicing the Eightfold Path

There are eight attitudes or paths you must follow to find freedom from suffering. These are the "right" or correct things to do in your life:
                                      1. Right view
                                      2. Right intention
                                      3. Right speech
                                      4. Right action
                                      5. Right livelihood
                                      6. Right effort
                                      7. Right mindfulness
                                      8. Right concentration
                                      The bit about it that was curious to me was that it said that there are those that can attain Nirvana but don't as they wish to help others that suffer. Begs the question about the others, how useful a way of thinking is if it can let you feel perfectly content and not care about the rest of the world.

For my usual vegan sermon I can see what Lazare meant by the book making him more pro-animals too, not only does it go through all the intermediary human species that are more animalistic and point out how similar we are to any other animal but it goes over how universal monotheist religions like Christianity were the first to elevate us as above other animals in our minds (and that can't sit right with him ), previous to that we were considered as just another animal by ourselves. "We directly communicate with God, we are different than the rest of you!". This then helped justify our oppression of other peoples/animals with our divine authority. It talks about that even if we throw off the yoke* of subjugation of the likes of Christianity or an empire like Rome it is too late for us, we think like they wanted us to think, we speak their language, we use their roads, we hold to their values, our world outlook is theirs and our past culture is forever gone.

*was talking about yokes in the canteen today, the older folk thought we were talking about egg yolks.
                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 05-03-18, 17:00.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                        Fairly stunning results particulary for the League who have completely dominated the North of Italy.
                                        The results were extraordinary in part because they reflected a rejection of what most analysts would agree has been a fairly competent government under the PD, which has overseen a big improvement in the economy and adopted policies that limited the number of migrants coming to Europe, in favour of inexperienced political leaders with controversial views on issues ranging from their support of Vladimir Putin to scepticism about the efficacy of mandatory vaccinations.
                                        There it is again. The one constant in all the lunacy.

Comment

Seems like Trump and Brexit aren't enough of a lesson for people and you have to have your local iteration for voting for loudmouth populists (backed by Russia) who haven't a clue how to govern and whose only key strength is an ability to manipulate social media.

Does every country have to go through this pain to get the message?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                            There it is again. The one constant in all the lunacy.
                                            Source of this opinion piece?

Comment

Source of this opinion piece?
                                              Breitbart

Comment

Comment

Interesting thread, somewhat germane.

Comment

Comment

I don't know how Dom does it. Runs IPB, full time job, new kid, drives trains and now might be running Italy in the near future.

Some man for one man.

Comment

Seems Richie wasn't in those woodlands* so we get to rest easy for a while.

* his words

Comment

tbh Europe has spent the last decade installing US-supplied weapons aimed at Russia. It's hardly surprising that Russia would react in a way that causes maximum chaos. Plus I think the Russia thing is mainly used as an excuse for having incredibly stupid populations. The Italians have been stupid long before Russia started supporting renegades.
                                                          'Europe'?

I know the power in the Hitch household rests with The Motherland but there's no need to go all RT on us.

Last I checked on the 'list of European countries invaded recently' list, 'ol Vlad was top of that particular leaderboard. And by a healthy margin!

The question is what is his endgame? Yes, he probably gets tremendous craic out of subverting the Western democracies but to what end? How does Russia gain?

Comment

Looks like the Oscars may hit an all time low for TV ratings as early data showing the ratings significantly down on last year which was a nine year low. I haven't even been bombarded with too many clips on social media this year either. A real flop by sounds of it.

Comment

Comment

Comment

How would people behave in Richard Satchwell's position under such intense scrutiny knowing what everyone is assuming?

I know stats prove that it's very often the spouse who's guilty in these cases but I still feel uneasy reading people on various forums and social media assuming guilt based on his interviews and everyone seems to be body language experts all of a sudden.

Even if people think the chances are slim that he is innocent I think they should air on the side of respect until the case is solved(if it ever is). Like I can't imagine a bigger strain on someones mental health than if you were innocent and everything you read or person you meet thinks you did it, it would push most people to the brink I'd say.
                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

The endgame, btw, I'd say is fairly clearly to destabilise EU enough that it's so convulsed with its internal problems that it stops expanding Eastwards. It's not unrealistic that they might be imagining that if Ukraine joins EU then a subset of Russians will start agitating for Russia to join EU.
                                                                    Russia should join the EU.

Comment

lol, the NATO build up of European weapon systems aimed at Russia started well before any Russian activity. It's not exactly the first time a bright US plan has backfired e.g. training Bin Laden to be a world-class terrorist.
                                                                      Yeah think you're looking at this backwards Raoul.

Comment

lol, the NATO build up of European weapon systems aimed at Russia started well before any Russian activity. It's not exactly the first time a bright US plan has backfired e.g. training Bin Laden to be a world-class terrorist.
                                                                        What are you on about?

The amount of NATO weaponry pointing at Russia is (a) far smaller than the quantum of Russian weaponry pointing the other way and (b), infinestimally less than that which was present during the Cold War.

I'm actually a bit shocked that a Western liberal educator is defending a murderous autocrat like Putin. I guess propaganda works.

Comment

The other question you have to ask is this:

why would countries that are traditionally linked to\ruled by Russia (Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria, Czecho, Slovakia) make a strategic choice to ally themselves with the EU and not with Russia?

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                            How would people behave in Richard Satchwell's position under such intense scrutiny knowing what everyone is assuming?

I know stats prove that it's very often the spouse who's guilty in these cases but I still feel uneasy reading people on various forums and social media assuming guilt based on his interviews and everyone seems to be body language experts all of a sudden.

Even if people think the chances are slim that he is innocent I think they should air on the side of respect until the case is solved(if it ever is). Like I can't imagine a bigger strain on someones mental health than if you were innocent and everything you read or person you meet thinks you did it, it would push most people to the brink I'd say.
                                                                            Yeah you are right to be fair. We don't know what conversations he is having with the authorities. His personality might just not be helping him in the glare. Horrible spot for him if he does actually know nothing. Hopefully it get sorted one way or the other.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Because Russia was vile to them. I'm not defending Russia here, I'm just saying its natural that Russia would have a response to having a massive expansion of NATO right on their border, something which was a soft agreement between Russia and US that would not happen around the reunification of Germany.
                                                                                  NATO is a defensive organisation.

You're merely reflecting the delusion and paranoia of Putin here (which he uses to great effect in stoking extreme Russian nationalism and anti-Western sentiment - both of which he uses to distract Russians from the shittiness of the kleptomaniacal murdering autocracy they suffer under).

I repeat: Russia should join the EU. It's their only path to democracy and prosperity because it's been in long-term decline for at least 50 years.

Comment

...

Comment

"NATO is a defensive organisation"

.
                                                                                      Correct.

Comment

Speaking of Russia, it is of course pure coincidence that defectors, dissidents, reporters and anyone who dares to oppose the autocracy continue to be murdered in distinctly nasty ways.

Like this chap. No doubt he just put polonium in his tea instead of sugar. Easy mistake to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                          I don't know how Dom does it. Runs IPB, full time job, new kid, drives trains and now might be running Italy in the near future.

Some man for one man.
                                                                                          Dom Corleone

Comment

Speaking of Russia, it is of course pure coincidence that defectors, dissidents, reporters and anyone who dares to oppose the autocracy continue to be murdered in distinctly nasty ways.

Like this chap. No doubt he just put polonium in his tea instead of sugar. Easy mistake to make.
                                                                                            If you are a spy then become a traitor then assasinarion by any means is fair game. The us has undoubtedly removed more heads of state by hook or by crook and ruined more countries like say Vietnam Iraq the second time was a needless war and Libya.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                                              If you are a spy then become a traitor then assasinarion by any means is fair game. The us has undoubtedly removed more heads of state by hook or by crook and ruined more countries like say Vietnam Iraq the second time was a needless war and Libya.
                                                                                              What about journalists?

Comment

What about journalists?
                                                                                                Few in this country I wouldn’t mind poisoning. Of course it’s a disgrace and anyone with relevant information should go to the authorities.

Comment

What price the double, Richard Satchwell is innocent and Maurice Mc turns out to have been a kiddie fiddler after all ?
                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Don't think anyone is going to defend Putin's morals, but his foreign policy makes sense from his prospective. How was he meant to respond to Nato/Eu encroachment on his borders/warm-water port/airspace?

Comment

Don't think anyone is going to defend Putin's morals, but his foreign policy makes sense from his prospective. How was he meant to respond to Nato/Eu encroachment on his borders/warm-water port/airspace?
                                                                                                      Maybe by asking himself the question I asked earlier:

The other question you have to ask is this:

why would countries that are traditionally linked to\ruled by Russia (Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria, Czecho, Slovakia) make a strategic choice to ally themselves with the EU and not with Russia?
                                                                                                      Answering this question honestly and then doing something about it. Like allowing free elections for one thing.

Comment

Is that not normal? Would we pick the UK over the EU?

Comment

Absolute daylight robbery by United but what a strike from Matic.

Comment

Is that not normal? Would we pick the UK over the EU?
                                                                                                            For the 50 years before the EEC came along to save us we'd have been very much better off under home rule.
                                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                              For the 50 years before the EEC came along to save us we'd have been very much better off under home rule.
                                                                                                              In fairness to Denny, I assume he is not in possession of a time machine and his question is posed in the present tense.

To which the only possible answer can be 'the EU, of course'. Anyone who thinks we'd be better off leaving the EU and aligning ourselves with (whatever will be left of) the UK is off their rocker.

So what's Putin's response to this strategic threat (as he perceives it, it is of course the opposite - an opportunity but he is too conditioned by his KGB past to realise it as such)?
                                                                                                              Destabilise liberal democracy. When of course he should be embracing it as the best system for ordering human affairs yet devised.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 05-03-18, 22:05.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                Absolute daylight robbery by United but what a strike from Matic.
                                                                                                                Not really. Very bad first half, but fully deserved from the second half pressure. Daylight robbery would be scoring a winner completely against the run of play.

Comment

In fairness to Denny, I assume he is not in possession of a time machine and his question is posed in the present tense.

To which the only possible answer can be 'the EU, of course'. Anyone who thinks we'd be better off leaving the EU and aligning ourselves with (whatever will be left of) the UK is off their rocker.

So what's Putin's response to this strategic threat (as he perceives it, it is of course the opposite - an opportunity but he is too conditioned by his KGB past to realise it as such)?
                                                                                                                  Destabilise liberal democracy. When of course he should be embracing it as the best system for ordering human affairs yet devised.
                                                                                                                  He only really stepped it up in earnest after the West meddled in the Ukraine?

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                                                    Not really. Very bad first half, but fully deserved from the second half pressure. Daylight robbery would be scoring a winner completely against the run of play.
                                                                                                                    Nah. Palace the better team for 60 minutes. Would have taken the draw at half time. Haunted

Comment

He only really stepped it up in earnest after the West meddled in the Ukraine?
                                                                                                                      oh, you mean 'encouraged democracy'.

How appalling.

Comment

Beat. a while back a player said he had to go on a trip with university and would miss an important game, his field trip bus left in the morning so couldnt be there. I told him if it were allowed i'd drive him after the game. Found out today that it's allowed and it's about 8 hours away from where I am.

Brag: seems i'll be driving to La Rosiere , sure I might as well stay for a bit and go skiing in the alps for the first time

Comment

Looks like the Oscars may hit an all time low for TV ratings as early data showing the ratings significantly down on last year which was a nine year low. I haven't even been bombarded with too many clips on social media this year either. A real flop by sounds of it.
                                                                                                                          Just checking, but is the inference here that the flop was due to people preempting Trump jokes and tuning out? I think that was the claim for a previous award show. Golden Globes?

NATO is a defensive organisation.
                                                                                                                          Stephen Paddock used NATO rounds for the Vegas shooting.
                                                                                                                          The latest Florida school shooting was also NATO rounds.
                                                                                                                          #AlternateFacts # JustAskingQuestions

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X