Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Well anyone who's lived through the last bubble is likely to be scarred by it. Same with asking people how likely do you think a terrorist attack is right after their city has a terrorist attack. There's absolutely nothing wrong with prices at the moment by any objective measure. Now there might be in a few years, but that's then. Doesn't mean anyone should rush to buy, but if they did buy they wouldn't be making a financial mistake.
    It is a common mistake, confusing strongly appreciating prices with bubble conditions.

The way to counter is to say "so, if we're in a bubble, and prices fell by 25%....what would happen?"
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Well anyone who's lived through the last bubble is likely to be scarred by it. Same with asking people how likely do you think a terrorist attack is right after their city has a terrorist attack. There's absolutely nothing wrong with prices at the moment by any objective measure. Now there might be in a few years, but that's then. Doesn't mean anyone should rush to buy, but if they did buy they wouldn't be making a financial mistake.
      So time is of the essence yet we shouldn't rush, but if we do, we won't be making a mistake

I just felt the prospect of negative equity should be brought into the discussion.

Mellor suggested there's no reason to be tied to a place for life. Life is short and NE can tie you down for a good part of it. It can a massive overall bummer to boot, particularly on a young family.
      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I don't really see why NE is a concern unless you're looking to move house?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
          @Laz - How are things at home with the little bubs? The older one adjusting well too?
          Going really well Dom, cheers. Had some feeding trouble at the start. She was born with a tongue tie (same as the eldest) which makes breastfeeding really difficult but we got it fixed early. Time is of the essence, if they don't feed from the breast for a period of time the production falls away and you've no choice but to switch to formula. Thankfully we fixed it in time and she's guzzling away now. My missus is delighted with that. Didn't get it done in time with the first and had to switch to formula.

The eldest is great with her, not a bit jealous thankfully. She is acting a little weird now and again but all stuff that seems to be totally normal and expected.

How's the lil man?
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

There's absolutely nothing wrong with prices at the moment by any objective measure. Now there might be in a few years, but that's then. Doesn't mean anyone should rush to buy, but if they did buy they wouldn't be making a financial mistake.
            This all sounds like advice so called experts were spouting at the last bubble. Just one example of what could happen is, you buy now quantitative easing ends and interest rates increase vastly causing a fall in asset prices everywhere including property. You can no longer afford your mortgage repayments like a vast swath of society banks get into problems etc etc. This couple with a giant fall in the stock market and you can see the issues it could cause.

Prices will go up forever then will never fall back etc etc

Comment

[QUOTE=Mellor;1044088]

It's the same with getting married or having kids. Lots of people have kids because they are supposed to.

QUOTE]

Nope, humans don't really work like that anymore. At least not any of the humans that I've ever encountered, and that's a substantial sample size.

Comment

Keane you madman, your putting 15% of your salary into your own employer's stock each month? Say it isn't so.
                Just out of curiosity, are you against putting any money into your employers stock or just not 15%?

I currently put 5% of my salary into my employers stock scheme. At the end of each financial year, all money I put in is used to buy stock at a 25% reduction from the lowest price it was all year.

So for example, share price fluctuates from $100 - $120 within the financial year. I get shares at $75 that are worth and I can sell at $120.

Obviously I have to pay tax on the gains but this seems like a win win situation to me unless I am missing something really obvious?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                  Just out of curiosity, are you against putting any money into your employers stock or just not 15%?

I currently put 5% of my salary into my employers stock scheme. At the end of each financial year, all money I put in is used to buy stock at a 25% reduction from the lowest price it was all year.

So for example, share price fluctuates from $100 - $120 within the financial year. I get shares at $75 that are worth and I can sell at $120.

Obviously I have to pay tax on the gains but this seems like a win win situation to me unless I am missing something really obvious?
                  Your increasing your exposure if your employer went bust or something - not only would you lose your job but also unnecessarily lose savings. If you're getting favourable terms that's one thing but all else being equal I assume you should be investing in things unrelated to your employer (i.e. different industries)

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                    Your increasing your exposure if your employer went bust or something - not only would you lose your job but also unnecessarily lose savings. If you're getting favourable terms that's one thing but all else being equal I assume you should be investing in things unrelated to your employer (i.e. different industries)
                    I get that point and without wanting to BBV the job, the chances of the company going bust are extremely remote. They are very financially secure plus I'd have a better insite into if things were going pear shaped and be able to bail than I would as a small time investor in a random company

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                      I have always zoned out when watching the original Bladerunner. I am generally a fan of good Sci-Fi but I it seems I have switched off when watching it as I am pretty sure I have seen the start 4/5 times but couldn't tell you much more if anything about what happens. Must try give it another watch as will probably give the new one a spin in the cinema.

Opr
                      That's really common for that film, I was the same and now it's probably drawing with battle royale as my favourite film. I don't think people expect a slow noir dystopian flick that makes you ask existential questions when they watch a film, let alone one called blade runner.

It's a common theme that people seem to watch this more and like it better each time. Same with it's release, it went from unappreciated to cult classic to classic over the years.

Back from the new one and I'm sure people will have the same reaction, however I never see films twice in the cinema and I'm going back to Imax for this one, loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                        That's really common for that film, I was the same and now it's probably drawing with battle royale as my favourite film. I don't think people expect a slow noir dystopian flick that makes you ask existential questions when they watch a film, let alone one called blade runner.

It's a common theme that people seem to watch this more and like it better each time. Same with it's release, it went from unappreciated to cult classic to classic over the years.

Back from the new one and I'm sure people will have the same reaction, however I never see films twice in the cinema and I'm going back to Imax for this one, loved it.
                        Would you have to have watched the original to appreciate new one.if so assume directors cut is way to go?

Comment

It's bad from a risk prospective. You've your job and your savings all tied to the success of one company.

If there's good incentives, it's not a big amount, and you're not locked into the shares, it's probably grand. Just don't end up like some of the old Anglo workers with their investments and jobs gone in one go.

Edit: nm hadn't refreshed the page in a while

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                            Would you have to have watched the original to appreciate new one.if so assume directors cut is way to go?
                            I'd say you should as all the throwbacks won't make sense but it's not necessary. I'd certainly recommend it to see so you like that kind of film. A lot of People will come out from this not too impressed as it's long and slow. Yeah definitely the directors cut from 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                              Nope, humans don't really work like that anymore. At least not any of the humans that I've ever encountered, and that's a substantial sample size.
                              Not all humans obvious. But I dont believe none of the hundreds of people you know gave that logic.
                              Do you know anyone who isn't having kids? Ever see them mention that decision other people, and be met be confusion, "but why" type questions? It's increasingly common, but it's not something that people simply look past yet.

Comment

Is the a min term that you have to hold the stock for before selling?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                  Going really well Dom, cheers. Had some feeding trouble at the start. She was born with a tongue tie (same as the eldest) which makes breastfeeding really difficult but we got it fixed early. Time is of the essence, if they don't feed from the breast for a period of time the production falls away and you've no choice but to switch to formula. Thankfully we fixed it in time and she's guzzling away now. My missus is delighted with that. Didn't get it done in time with the first and had to switch to formula.

The eldest is great with her, not a bit jealous thankfully. She is acting a little weird now and again but all stuff that seems to be totally normal and expected.

How's the lil man?
                                  Good to hear. He's grand thankfully, nearly 10 weeks now. He had no problems breastfeeding, but my wife did, so after a hard first week we switched to formula ourselves with no problems after that.

Getting big smiles every time after work nearly makes it worth going to work. Nearly, that is.

Getting bigger now too, nearly twice his birth weight.

Comment

I get that point and without wanting to BBV the job, the chances of the company going bust are extremely remote. They are very financially secure plus I'd have a better insite into if things were going pear shaped and be able to bail than I would as a small time investor in a random company
                                    An absolute classic misconception! I hear this from CEOs and CFOs regularly. You haven't a clue how the market views or might change its views on your industry or your company and when it happens you'll be too busy drinking the Koolaid and fighting the tide that your savings will be the last thing on your mind.

Take the discount and bag the savings and then diversify. Discipline and patience and remember it's a long term game.
                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

My 2nd is one today. Walking two months. Childcare is a burden but it's mentally written off as rent for a fuller life. I'm broke but would probably be consumed by dopamine if I didn't have these lads , now I'm consumed by them.

It's a fair trade in my view. Money is overrated and I've lots of box sets to watch in the nursing home when I'm older and greyer

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                        An absolute classic misconception! I hear this from CEOs and CFOs regularly. You haven't a clue how the market views or might change its views on your industry or your company and when it happens you'll be too busy drinking the Koolaid and fighting the tide that your savings will be the last thing on your mind.

Take the discount and bag the savings and then diversify. Discipline and patience and remember it's a long term game.
                                        Where were you in 1999 ya bollix. Good advice

Comment

How's the lil man?
                                          Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                          Good to hear. He's grand thankfully, nearly 10 weeks now. He had no problems breastfeeding, but my wife did, so after a hard first week we switched to formula ourselves with no problems after that.

Getting big smiles every time after work nearly makes it worth going to work. Nearly, that is.

Getting bigger now too, nearly twice his birth weight.
                                          Great stuff lads. IrishParentBoards ftw.

We had a 2nd birthday party for little MissV recently in our new(ish) home. Quite the sense of pride and accomplishment I must say. You can have all the money you like but having a happy and healthy kid and making sure your family is cared for and in a good place beats it all. The rest is just window dressing really.
                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                            Where were you in 1999 ya bollix. Good advice
                                            Lol! I've had 3 memorable occasions that I've given the same advice and it went unheeded. 3 different industries and 3 separate times/circumstances over the past 15 years.

It's a bit like seeing the other side of life assurance. In my game death at a young age and its consequences are regular events and you wouldn't dream of being without life cover and yet when I talk to Joe Public with a wife and kids you need to spell it out in very stark terms to get them to even consider it. Seeing the same mistakes repeated day in and day out is a great teacher.

Comment

Those cute little one year olds will somebody call you a 'fuckhead' (had our 8 y/o try that one out for size lately)

Thought For The Day

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                Those cute little one year olds will somebody call you a 'fuckhead' (had our 8 y/o try that one out for size lately)

Thought For The Day
                                                He'll have credit built up for the things I've called him at times!

Comment

Thought For The Day
                                                  I am a fuckhead so expect the sooner than you got it. I already get puked on so being called a fuckhead is not so bad. Be a bit disappointed if my putdowns are not creative though. High hope for the 1st kid in that regard

Comment

Btw Good morning fellow fuckheads.

Comment

I am a fuckhead so expect the sooner than you got it. I already get puked on so being called a fuckhead is not so bad. Be a bit disappointed if my putdowns are not creative though. High hope for the 1st kid in that regard
                                                      When do you think you'll achieve life balance between being puked on and having yourself been the puker?

Thought For The Day 2.

Comment

Re kids. Arrived back from 10 days in the south of France yesterday. Quite the experience doing it with a nearly 3 yr old and a 5 month old. The amount of bags along with car seats, buggy etc made the airport bit rather funny.

Great holiday tho, but back to driving over next year me thinks.

Comment

Thought For The Day
                                                          I'm just imagining me trying that on my Dad back when I was 8. I'd have been lucky to survive the beating. This no corporal punishment craic has a lot to answer for!

Comment

I'm just imagining me trying that on my Dad back when I was 8. I'd have been lucky to survive the beating. This no corporal punishment craic has a lot to answer for!
                                                            If the social worker of the house hadn't been in attendance, he'd have got a swift boot up the hole!

Comment

When do you think you'll achieve life balance between being puked on and having yourself been the puker?

Thought For The Day 2.
                                                              I achieved that in the 90s with an ex.

Comment

I achieved that in the 90s with an ex.
                                                                Kinky

Comment

Off now to play golf. Not so bad, then Paris tomorrow .

Later fellow fuckheads

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                      Gm

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Tesla

Video Descriptions1: Mountain road driving in light rain. Decent lane keeping.2: Mountain road driving in light rain continued. Decent lane keeping but heavy...

They only recently managed to figure out automatic emergency breaking
                                                                      ZeroHedge - On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero

Comment

My 2nd is one today. Walking two months. Childcare is a burden but it's mentally written off as rent for a fuller life. I'm broke but would probably be consumed by dopamine if I didn't have these lads , now I'm consumed by them.

It's a fair trade in my view. Money is overrated and I've lots of box sets to watch in the nursing home when I'm older and greyer
                                                                        1 year completed minding the two since herself went back to work. Salary dropped €30k but cant complain and at least i get to have a two hour siesta mid-morning every day should i choose

Comment

Comment

I tend to bring out the DNA big guns in this situation. "Yes, RDIII Jr you got me I am a fuckhead and you as my son are therefore fuckhead boy, because thats just how nature works." Follow that up with a nice relaxing evening addressing him as fuckhead boy as frequently as possible and the future use of the term tends to be quite muted. Now due to my eldest being only six I've only had the occassion to explain the poopoohead to poopoohead girl transmission, but am almost certain it works with fuckhead too.
                                                                            Poopoohead is definitely a gateway drug to hardcore fuckhead usage

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

FAO admin, the site seems to be redirecting to mumsnet
                                                                                  "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                                  "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

GM lad rustled.
                                                                                    "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                                    "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

After an 8 month wait, finally time to eat in Herron & Grey tonight. Like a kid at Christmas. Problem with an 8 month wait is that my expectations are sky high.

Thank God they didn't lose their star on Monday.
                                                                                      The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

And on a related note, what would you regularly read to get a bit of oversight of market trends? Zerohedge, I presume as you've quoted from there a few times. Anything else?
                                                                                        Nah that's the Daily Mail of trading.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                          Is the a min term that you have to hold the stock for before selling?
                                                                                          No, it takes a few weeks to process and come into my share A/c but once there I can sell straight away

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                          I know V4V has already covered this, but I left AIB in August 2007 amid much discussion from my colleagues as to how well all the money they had pumped into AIB shares was looking.
                                                                                          Both good points - I would argue that where I am now is very different from the AIB situation but the point still holds merit.

I should have said, I never let my holding exceed more than $15K, eveything above that is sold and I cash out the profit from the dicount given - I'm happy with that level of exposure in a company that I feel is very stable/secure

Comment

No, it takes a few weeks to process and come into my share A/c but once there I can sell straight away
                                                                                            This is just a six month stock purchase program right? You pay in and once every six months they use what you've contributed to buy shares at a discount for you? That's just a savings account with added free money and almost no risk, so long as you do the quicksale and get the money back immediately-ish.

Only potential downside here is if the stock would happen to tank in the 24 hours or so you have to hold before you can dump it. Or something that happened here this time around was that however they handle the currency swongs our gain ended up being cancelled out but I guess that can go the other way too.

Only thing is the price tends to dip around quicksale time I guess because people are expecting a flood of shares to be sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                                                                                              After an 8 month wait, finally time to eat in Herron & Grey tonight. Like a kid at Christmas. Problem with an 8 month wait is that my expectations are sky high.

Thank God they didn't lose their star on Monday.
                                                                                              Actually booked into the place in Lisdoonvarna when their new Star was announced, heading out there for two nights next weekend. Think they close up till March at the end of the month so thought it might be an idea to get in there before the inevitable price jumps next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                I know V4V has already covered this, but I left AIB in August 2007 amid much discussion from my colleagues as to how well all the money they had pumped into AIB shares was looking.
                                                                                                When I was in RBS, I always took bonuses as cash. Lot took them as shares, which if they sold at maturity at the guaranteed price was a good idea, but most reinvested. I knew people that had 250k or more, and not far from retirement when shares were at nearly £10. After a fairly quick collapse to 10p they weren't too happy with their decisions. A story repeated in many companies then I'd imagine, especially financial ones.

Comment

Thought For The Day
                                                                                                  Just wait till they get to 14+ (especially females) They are a fkn mare!

They look at you as if they hate you, can't speak but only know how to shout and mutter curses under their breath before slamming room doors.

Looking forward to her moving out to Uni or something

Comment

Fuckhead is a great one.

Having to use it numerous times this morning with co-workers. Trying to convince them that our Euromillions syndicate should not opt for lotto plus is greying my hair.
                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

In the middle of the toughest week in my coaching so far. 3 games in 7 days. Two against fully pro teams and discovering rapidly who is mentally weak on the team. On monday I had 4 starters pull out of tuesdays game for nonsense reasons. Ended up getting smashed 43-19, we play the german national team tomorrow and had another guy drop out, another huge challenge.

Have been really stressed and drained with all the struggles and challenges to overcome. Got home last night and training wasn't good either. Then I got a call from my wife who is in america expecting more shit piled on.

SPOILER
                                                                                                      Turned out it was a facetime call from my almost 3 grandaughter.
                                                                                                      she wanted to first breath fire on me and then show me her magic blue sparkle beard and for me to make my beard blue. It's the little things in life that can bring so much joy, however im very glad i skipped over the whole having kids part and went straight to grandkids where all I get to do is the fun stuff.

Comment

...
                                                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 06-10-17, 09:57.

Comment

Fuckhead is a great one.

Having to use it numerous times this morning with co-workers. Trying to convince them that our Euromillions syndicate should not opt for lotto plus is greying my hair.
                                                                                                          No plus for our work one either. Planning in my head what to do with money. Haven’t decided whether to tell the wife or not yet.

My 5 year old has started using stupidhead. Now the nearly 2 year old has started saying it
                                                                                                          Last edited by elbows; 06-10-17, 09:57.
                                                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Speaking of fuckheads, some random punter just logged into a production server and deleted a load of files to "clear some space".
                                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Mid 30s couple with savings/investments of over 100k!! I doubt I know anyone like that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                                                Mid 30s couple with savings/investments of over 100k!! I doubt I know anyone like that at all.
                                                                                                                They exist. They're not buying 2-beds in Finglas, but they exist.
                                                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

One of them just has to be hit by a car

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                    Actually booked into the place in Lisdoonvarna when their new Star was announced, heading out there for two nights next weekend. Think they close up till March at the end of the month so thought it might be an idea to get in there before the inevitable price jumps next year.
                                                                                                                    It's superb, I've eaten there plenty over the years. Enjoy!

Comment

Have similar scheme to Lao Lao which are both no brainers as far as I can see
                                                                                                                      1 rolling 6 month one where you buy at a 15% discount at whatever is lower price at start or finish and can flog straight away
                                                                                                                      Another yearly where you can put up to 10% annual salary into shares which you can’t touch for 3 years.comes out of pre income tax income so would have to drop at least 40% before you are losing out.used to not have to pay peso or usc on it which was even better

Comment

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is
                                                                                                                        Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Hmm.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X