Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So in the US, 180k tests, 60k positive, 120k negative. At a 70% accuracy, that's an additional ~36k, maybe half of those are asymptomatic walking around thinking they're clear?

The same study also found that chest CT scans accurately identified infection in 98 percent of cases whereas RT-PCR tests detected it correctly 71 percent of the time.
    RT-PCR testing remains the primary method for diagnosing COVID-19 in the United States.

Comment

Best option to get a cheap monitor delivered? Work is gonna get going a bit again and one laptop screen is infuriating
      airport, lol

Comment

What's the craic with the tests that are claimed to be 95% or these kinda ones where you can order them and it says 99.9%? Nonsense?

New Bosch one is supposed to be 95 too.

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
        Irish Times now quoting Dr Catherine Motherway as the number being 107 on vents plus another 26 suspected cases in intensive care.

While the recent reductions in the growth of new cases in encouraging, the ICU numbers are the critical ones in assessing where we are.
        Know her son, see the similarities!

Comment

I wonder is the accuracy rate down to the swabbing not getting enough material or a consistent amount of material or the test process itself not being consistent.
          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

A lot quieter up in Marlay Park since the cage parks closed.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
              I wonder is the accuracy rate down to the swabbing not getting enough material or a consistent amount of material or the test process itself not being consistent.
              A and B I think. A low viral load may not be detected

“Based on what is known about the pathophysiology of COVID-19, the data provided and our previous experience with respiratory pathogen tests, the false-positive rate for authorized tests is likely to be very low, and the true-positive rate is likely to be high,” Caccomo says. “However, performance characteristics are specific to each test.” And there is a risk of a false-negative result if the sample is not taken correctly, says Vincent Racaniello, a professor of microbiology and immunology at Columbia University. This possibility could explain why people recovering from the disease sometimes test negative initially and then positive later, he says.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

This seems on the face of it to be quite the win in order to expedite the process:

Comment

The longer this goes on the more the chances are of this happening

Already a nice healthy backlash rolling against billionaires and celebrities preaching and getting tested early
                    It’s a shame Netflix and streaming platforms are still up, if they went down that along with no live sport would leave people with a lot of time to ask a lot of questions

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                      i foolishly figured I could use some tv monitors in the house and am now stuck working on 14" laptop screen which doesn't lend itself super well to large data migration and ETL processes.
                      It's not the end of the world but a niggle that I'm going to have to put up with for the next 2 months.
                      First thing I did last week...or was it last month?, was to go in and raid the office. Took home a high spec desktop and two good monitors and left another desktop running there so that I can remote into it without sucking up all my very limited bandwith. Working out fairly well considering the bogband situation.

Was just about on the verge of figuring out the what the block to my deadline is, well I had just built a ladder and eliminated a couple of snakes when the email arrives postponing the cliff edge by 90 days Phew!

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        I'd imagine tests are becoming more accurate, but surely that 99.9% claim can't be true?
                        They are saying 99.9 if you take the swab perfectly

Also £250

Comment

Might be time to start breaking out the "<insert company name here> are cunts" list again

Might gain more traction than usual

Comment

this #Concannonbots thing is just ridiculous.
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

There seems to be a common thread to a fair few of the pictures in media of people with “no underlying conditions” who have died of covid 19 , in England anyway.

Comment

BTW there was a Garda check-point about 200m from the entrance to Marlay, and not even the usual cars parked on the paths and bicycle lanes.

Comment

Working the country squire look there CC!

Looks a bit bourgeois
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                    this #Concannonbots thing is just ridiculous.
                                    Ridiculous how? No doubt they are cynical enough to be doing it. Or ridiculous in the pot calling kettle black nature of the accusations ?

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                      There seems to be a common thread to a fair few of the pictures in media of people with “no underlying conditions” who have died of covid 19 , in England anyway.
                                      What's this?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                        Working the country squire look there CC!

Looks a bit bourgeois
                                        Reminds me of one time when I was exiting an office on Fitzwilliam Square, and some American toursts asked if I was ok with them taking a photo of my house.

Comment

Obesity?
                                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Ridiculous how? No doubt they are cynical enough to be doing it. Or ridiculous in the pot calling kettle black nature of the accusations ?
                                            Its has several ludicrous elements;

Seemingly every dissenting voice is a 'bot'.
                                            It has the same usual sources of every alternative narrative and retweeted by the same.
                                            it allows zero human element or explanation of new twitter users during an unprecedented moment in human history .
                                            There is a massive push outrage about the waste of 'taxpayer money' in this, this movement is seemingly unaware that the cost of setting up and maintaining the 20-30 'bot' accounts that are being screen captured as evidence is practically zero.
                                            There seems to have been zero actual analysis on the accounts or scorecarding of bot-like behaviour on any of them.
                                            I done 6 random ones, and checked my own using the same metrics, the highest mark was 2.5/5 and half that users tweets were about the late late. I scored 1.5
                                            And yes there is a huge amount of spiderman-ing about this
                                            SPOILER
                                            Last edited by DeadParrot; 31-03-20, 15:40.
                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                              Best option to get a cheap monitor delivered? Work is gonna get going a bit again and one laptop screen is infuriating
                                              I wasn't sure if Harvey Norman and alike were covered to deliver tech but it appears they deliver.

I generally use LaptopsDirect, they're very reasonable, something refurbished or a cheaper brand circa 100e

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                I wasn't sure if Harvey Norman and alike were covered to deliver tech but it appears they deliver.

I generally use LaptopsDirect, they're very reasonable, something refurbished or a cheaper brand circa 100e
                                                Home appliances must deem them essential. IT supplies might have to be too if we are all working from home? Thanks!
                                                airport, lol

Comment

Obesity?
                                                  Yup

Comment

Comment

Yup
                                                      doctor grapevine says their anecdotal experience thus far indicates obesity is a lethal underlying factor. To be clear, they mean full on no exercise bigger than the moon obesity. Not technical BMI definition.

There is nothing certain with all of this of course, but exercising regularly and being reasonably healthy does seem to improve your chances of being okay.

Comment

Comment

Exactly... It's hilarious that all the Shinners and SJW's have nothing better to do than go through anyone supporting the actions of the government with a fine toothcomb.

Comment

Unless the bots are also the ones doing all the RedC polls (besides me) the swell in Twitter well-wishes kind of matches the swell in support for the gov seen elsewhere. Generally people on Twitter are bored know-nothings anyway.

I'm not exactly a dyed in the wool Fine Gael man but I'd rather attend an anthrax party than spend five minutes with most of the people you see in, say, Simon Harris's comments giving him grief. The bots would probably be better company also.

Comment

Thoughts on this?

Company closed its online business on Fri but talk of reopening (allegedly due to lobbying) - 100% non essential business too?

Whats the mechanics of how lobbying works and who has authority to sign off in current environment?

Comment

Seems obesity is a big issue in survivability or seriousness of infection. Read that most corona folk in ICU in the Netherlands are obese, a country not normally known for its obesity presence. Although its just presented as anecdotal evidence by a ward doctor in that story.
                                                                It seems completely logical, countless examples of people being told they can't have a given operation because they weigh too much.

People being told to lose weight pre-operation must be more about the ability to recover than the capacity to perform the operation

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                  Paddy on the other hand is great at moaning and scravaging (this is my own word)

*AIB fees got taken out today for Jan-Mar.....fook the banks, robbin bastards

*Irish racing still on TV....scumbags at Racing TV charging us for watching Irish racing

*Netflix.....this should be free while were on all lockdown, pricks.

*Someone got laid off due to Covid19 and they're getting 50% more on the scratcher than me....joke of a country, government scum etc

Yet if a company lets people go or reduces hours.....scumbags, boycott them, outrage yadayada
                                                                  Just on the AIB thing..There'll be blanket refunds of fees and charges in a couple of days.
                                                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Holy balls SP. Not using Dark mode you masochist.
                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                      Unless the bots are also the ones doing all the RedC polls (besides me) the swell in Twitter well-wishes kind of matches the swell in support for the gov seen elsewhere. Generally people on Twitter are bored know-nothings anyway.

I'm not exactly a dyed in the wool Fine Gael man but I'd rather attend an anthrax party than spend five minutes with most of the people you see in, say, Simon Harris's comments giving him grief. The bots would probably be better company also.
                                                                      the thing is bots is a simply a disparaging term meant to stop engagement from twitter virgins and the like. It means precisely nothing in actual technical terms. The same fucking idiots that are overnight experts in economics, virology, immunology, exponential growth rates are now experts in machine learning and botnets.
                                                                      It's a pretty insidious form of gaslighting.
                                                                      "if people think my opinion is dishonest and only held by shills, maybe I should change my opinion"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                        Just on the AIB thing..There'll be blanket refunds of fees and charges in a couple of days.
                                                                        A tick in he win box for the scravagers. They'll be after the GPs next.

Comment

Comment

Comment

The empire state building Siren is like something out of Batman . A rather stirring visual . Why is Trump still allowed to Trump though . He's never getting away from his ego. No matter what.

Comment

I’ll give you a response to that in two parts rounders.

Regarding beer:

I love a pint of Guinness in Grogan’s. It has its place. But the lads sitting in Bowes or Mulligans or Grogan’s getting misty eyed about pints of cream and being Spartan about ‘eating is cheating’ is just sad to me now, you know? It screams of ‘ah the rare aul times were the best aul times’. It’s just Guinness and it’s just a pub and it’s nice to be able to have a choice of a few beers to drink and maybe get a burger halfway through the day.

The reality is that Guinness is a fine drink, but in the landscape of beers it’s hardly elite. There is a reverence around it that is entirely manufactured and practiced. The other reality is that the quality of Guinness is pretty even across the city. Guinness have spent a fortune making that the case.

I mean the only “regulars” in places like Grogan’s or the Long Hall are aul alcos in their 60’s who fancy themselves as a poet. The rest of us going mad about places like that for years are part of a faceless shifting mass that the establishments themselves couldn’t give two fiddlers about.

PP having a WC of pubs tomorrow.

Comment

Paddy on the other hand is great at moaning and scravaging (this is my own word)

*AIB fees got taken out today for Jan-Mar.....fook the banks, robbin bastards

*Irish racing still on TV....scumbags at Racing TV charging us for watching Irish racing

*Netflix.....this should be free while were on all lockdown, pricks.

*Someone got laid off due to Covid19 and they're getting 50% more on the scratcher than me....joke of a country, government scum etc

Yet if a company lets people go or reduces hours.....scumbags, boycott them, outrage yadayada
                                                                                  On the Racing TV thing

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                    Any Business teachers here badly require some help for Mia who's struggling with a cba, she's worrying badly over it .

I'd really appreciate any help by pm

I would but I Can't Be Arsed
                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

PP having a WC of pubs tomorrow.
                                                                                      Clicked on the link, gravediggers cut from 20's to 10's
                                                                                      Valoo gone!

Comment

Have joined the poker playing hoards and signed up to pokerstars. Unfortunately France restricts me to pokerstars.fr which seems to run about one tourney an hour. Can I play the IPB homegames through the French client?
                                                                                        I'm in Belgium and I just use ExpressVPN, log in to Ireland and play on the normal pokers.eu client, and works fine, dont think I would have survived 3 weeks of lockdown without it!

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                            The empire state building Siren is like something out of Batman . A rather stirring visual . Why is Trump still allowed to Trump though . He's never getting away from his ego. No matter what.
                                                                                            You can only imagine the inner rage this must give him though

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                              Clicked on the link, gravediggers cut from 20's to 10's
                                                                                              Valoo gone!
                                                                                              Mulligans to top their group looks a value bet

Comment

Key figures today:

325 confirmed cases

17 deaths

3 close contacts on average

Positivity rate goes from 6% to 15% since the change.

Phenomenal uptick as a result of the change, clearly a fantastic decision. It may be the best decision taken to date.

Comment

Not obese. No underlying health condition. Stories like this definitely ratchet up the heebie jeebies.

Comment

Key figures today:

325 confirmed cases

17 deaths

Phenomenal uptick as a result of the change, clearly a fantastic decision. It may be the best decision taken to date.
                                                                                                    3 close contacts per confirmed case is amazing stuff.

Comment

Wasn't aware Don was still knocking about. Something comforting about seeing a positive personality from childhood times years later.
                                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

This surely isn’t going to happen is it? Social Media is gone mental today over this, people acting like it doesn’t happen every quarter? Drive ya wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley Harms View Post
                                                                                                          This surely isn’t going to happen is it? Social Media is gone mental today over this, people acting like it doesn’t happen every quarter? Drive ya wrong
                                                                                                          I got a refund. Took me 5 minutes to cop what it was for.

Comment

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/news.sky...-says-11966443

Not obese. No underlying health condition. Stories like this definitely ratchet up the heebie jeebies.
                                                                                                            Terribly sad and warning that everyone is at risk. In saying that, there will be outliers and putting context on this with %s will help

Comment

Kev seems to be really taking this whole situation badly, everyone of his posts in here are of a man on the very edge of sanity. My wife is similar so I get it. Let’s hope we can get through as safely and quickly as possible

Comment

Key figures today:

325 confirmed cases

17 deaths

I still can't figure out what their end game might be. Working in a University and having kids in school I would consider it a return to normality when both of those activities return again, but is there any earthly way that can happen without 1) a vaccine 2) an effective treatment option 3) a instant-result home test 4) a susceptible population maybe of the order of 60%. All of those things are probably a year away, and the only way we get to number 4 is there's a massive hidden asymptomatic population.
                                                                                                                To me, rolling back last Friday's measures (while still keeping the over 70s at home) would need a growth rate under 10% and continuing to fall for many days, then monitor it for a couple of weeks before rolling back whatever level 2 was while still looking for the trend to head below 5% and then maybe re-opening the schools in September with the finger firmly on CTRL+Z. Hopefully a combined low growth rate and increasing immune population by then would mean we'd be able to maintain some sort of steady state that we could handle until options 1 and 2 become a reality.

Comment

Key figures today:

325 confirmed cases

17 deaths

I dont understand what this means?

The positivity rate? Is that good or bad or what? And the 3 close contacts part?

Comment

Some poor soul rang in to customer service. Was waiting 30+ mins to get through..had a shouting with a member of staff. I pay your wages etc. Staff member said they'd refund the the quarterly fees as a "gesture of good will" and to get them off the phone obv.

Poor soul goes on twitter and takes a screenshot showing quarterly fees and refund same day. Puts some hashtag beside it and it gets traction. Within the hour 700+ people then on hold waiting 1hr + calling in for the same thing.

Reduced working hours due to c19 mean lines only open 9-5. They cant have 700 people clogging up the lines when people are looking for breaks on loans/mortgages etc.
                                                                                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Kev seems to be really taking this whole situation badly, everyone of his posts in here are of a man on the very edge of sanity. My wife is similar so I get it. Let’s hope we can get through as safely and quickly as possible
                                                                                                                      Personally I like to keep things light as it helps me shove negativity to the back of my head People will try to undermine you when you dont appear to take such things seriously. The thing is I'm terrified for my mother only and I take great relief that my two boys are way down the death/illness demographic , it's my biggest solace. So far the mother has been a model citizen . Such a happy good natured woman . It's my greatest fear she gets it.
                                                                                                                      After that my brother is frontline and worn out but hes a beast and I'm sure he'll be fine .

Feeling for India right now . Hope the brains out there sort this.

Comment

Some poor soul rang in to customer service. Was waiting 30+ mins to get through..had a shouting with a member of staff. I pay your wages etc. Staff member said they'd refund the the quarterly fees as a "gesture of good will" and to get them off the phone obv.

Poor soul goes on twitter and takes a screenshot showing quarterly fees and refund same day. Puts some hashtag beside it and it gets traction. Within the hour 700+ people then on hold waiting 1hr + calling in for the same thing.

Reduced working hours due to c19 mean lines only open 9-5. They cant have 700 people clogging up the lines when people are looking for breaks on loans/mortgages etc.
                                                                                                                        This is good. Companies can't get away with this crap.

I insist on hammering any corporate entity for its behaviour.
                                                                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                          I still can't figure out what their end game might be. Working in a University and having kids in school I would consider it a return to normality when both of those activities return again, but is there any earthly way that can happen without 1) a vaccine 2) an effective treatment option 3) a instant-result home test 4) a susceptible population maybe of the order of 60%. All of those things are probably a year away, and the only way we get to number 4 is there's a massive hidden asymptomatic population.
                                                                                                                          To me, rolling back last Friday's measures (while still keeping the over 70s at home) would need a growth rate under 10% and continuing to fall for many days, then monitor it for a couple of weeks before rolling back whatever level 2 was while still looking for the trend to head below 5% and then maybe re-opening the schools in September with the finger firmly on CTRL+Z. Hopefully a combined low growth rate and increasing immune population by then would mean we'd be able to maintain some sort of steady state that we could handle until options 1 and 2 become a reality.
                                                                                                                          Well thought out, I hope I'm wrong but that sounds a bit optimistic.
                                                                                                                          There may be very few choices by the end of the summer. What happens if the UK and US are c. 50% susceptible while our success has us over 80%

Vaccine is the best option but antivirals are well understood technologies known to work very well and be very adaptable I don't understand why we aren't hearing more about developments there.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X