Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    40x? Why do journalists and scientists insist on embarrassing themselves over and over again on this.

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Oh wow. Anonymous reports about a massive conspiracy with no mentioned authors that only a sky news hack is aware of. Well that's me sold! Time to ditch WHO and install Waghorne as the new health overlord.
    You're not wrong there!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
        Hope something other than Chloroquine is the silver bullet
        We will get a huge spike in deaths of people with TDS if it is
        Chinese study failed to reproduce the French one, but was complicated by multiple other treatments in use at the same time.

Also turns out one of the lead authors is also the lead editor of the paper it was published in. He's previously been censured for faking data.

AFAICT it might be a good treatment, he might be a world class chancer, or both of those things at the same time. He looks like a world class chancer:

SPOILER
        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Oh wow. Anonymous reports about a massive conspiracy with no mentioned authors that only a sky news hack is aware of. Well that's me sold! Time to ditch WHO and install Waghorne as the new health overlord.
          I'll cede that for the moment, but I can only see this getting louder over time.
          Gove was on the BBC saying china "weren't clear" about the scale as well by the way.
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
            I guess. Do you think the labs are reporting total throughput or just ...
            Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
            I'd be 99.99% sure it is throughput of unique cases because if it wasn't and we are following the same protocol as the ECDC then you're effectively saying that the numbers being reported here & elsewhere are purposefully deceptive.
            That would be a huge revelation, it seems beyond unbelievable to me, everyone believes it's throughput of unique patients not total testing attempts.
            Fair play to both of ye, doing a good job of trying to make sense of the numbers.

On the specific point it might be worth DM'ing Fergal Bowers to see if there is a clear answer to it?

I'm afraid that everything we need to know about why they are so hard to understand is in that diagram from Laura Bronner.
            Would be great if WHO or someone took a firm grip of what different countries are actually reporting

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                Yeah I saw similar, although I think the one I saw was good humoured.

Just got really sick of the topic, the venom around it. Also don't like how conflicted I personally am about the whole issue so am glad of the respite from it.

There seems to be no middle ground.

What gets put across as reasonable concerns makes you transphobic.

Had an interesting conversation with a friend of my wife who is a doctor that deals with kids who are trans and about the dangers of drugs used for stopping puberty. She isn’t for them but certain kids cannot deal with what they are facing being trapped inside the wrong body. Many other issues around space sharing I have a problem with when it comes to adults. It’s a giant clusterfuck though.
                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

They announced today they were going to report asymptotic (no idea how to spell that word) cases from now on due to new evidence from US CDC that they are important for spreading. Most other countries aren't reporting those cases either as they simply aren't testing for them (such as Ireland). Strikes me that they are learning the same as the rest of us, and no need to assign ulterior negative motives when everyone is in the same boat. They're also playing their role now of supplying PPE to the rest of the world now they have a surplus of it, so seems like an overall net positive.
                  What , the defective ppe that had to be returned by many countries?

Comment

Where do the Irish times get some of the reader contributors they have for stuff like corona virus stories or generation emigration

Unsure if they are exploiting these people for hate clicks or whether they feel the general clueless entitlement in these articles represents a good chunk of their readers?

Also their app is awful-they don’t even have a search function
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-04-20, 10:56.

Comment

They announced today they were going to report asymptotic (no idea how to spell that word) cases from now on due to new evidence from US CDC that they are important for spreading. Most other countries aren't reporting those cases either as they simply aren't testing for them (such as Ireland). Strikes me that they are learning the same as the rest of us, and no need to assign ulterior negative motives when everyone is in the same boat. They're also playing their role now of supplying PPE to the rest of the world now they have a surplus of it, so seems like an overall net positive.
                      What's with the new found China slant Hitch?

It's great that they're supplying PPE but a lot of its defective, and wouldn't have been needed in the first place if they hadn't pressured the WHO into playing down the threat and not letting international travel be restricted.

Comment

Did anyone else see the documentary shown on RTE the other night on the Pangolin?

Apparently it's the most illegally trafficked exotic animal in the world. It's sold at those Wet Markets where the disease was meant to have originated.

I was flicking through thinking that they're obviously taking the piss a little showing this and then I saw this today: https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0331/11...d-19-outbreak/

Comment

Email from work to download some yoke called Yammer. Looks kinda like fb. Whole company on it.

My plan was to drink for the day. Might not have a job to go back to if I don't stay away from the keyboard
                          Her sky-ness
                          © 5starpool

Comment

Yeah I saw similar, although I think the one I saw was good humoured.

Just got really sick of the topic, the venom around it. Also don't like how conflicted I personally am about the whole issue so am glad of the respite from it.
                            I'm always a bit puzzled when people say their social media timeline is infested with XYZ that they hate. If this is the case, stop following the people that are the causes of this, it's pretty simple. I use twitter (not facebook or instagram) and I see almost zero of the thing you are complaining about. I get that everyone has different interests and follow different people, groups, companies, whatever, but if something is greatly irritating you, stop the causes of it unless it is something you are a part of and in the middle of.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                              I'm always a bit puzzled when people say their social media timeline is infested with XYZ that they hate. If this is the case, stop following the people that are the causes of this, it's pretty simple. I use twitter (not facebook or instagram) and I see almost zero of the thing you are complaining about. I get that everyone has different interests and follow different people, groups, companies, whatever, but if something is greatly irritating you, stop the causes of it unless it is something you are a part of and in the middle of.
                              And/or use the mute option. I've about 60+ things muted.

Comment

Comment

My new Vietnamese sneakers arrived today via Lifestyle. La lucha continua!

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Yeah I have the word 'trans' muted months now, and am shielded from the majority of it. Falls through the cracks though.
                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Wife's about to cut me hair. Wish me luck.

Comment

It's harmful for how we view the world and engage in useful conversations. It was the unchecked discourse on EU in Brit media over decades that definitely led to brexit. It was the unchecked discourse on Jews in German media that enabled the rise of the nazis and resulted in the holocaust.
                                        Kinda of ironic to finish on that point considering the Chinese leadership:

Has an authoritarian leader
                                        Run massive camps for ethnic minorities
                                        Are building up militarily
                                        Have lasting antagonism towards neighbours due to a prior war
                                        Are annexing neighbouring territory, and have designs on claiming more

Comment

Wife's about to cut me hair. Wish me luck.
                                          My Mrs is dying to cut mine. Have resisted so far.

Sneakily growing a beard too.
                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Jews must be enjoying this crisis tbf
                                            Kind of hard for the tinfoilers to peg this one on them

Comment

I maybe over-concentrate on reliability of sources, but its probably about 70% of decent research - the reliability of sources that you build on to build your own arguments. So researchers tend to be obsessed with the quality of sources, maybe too much.
                                              A difficult thing to fathom about the Chinese data is how the Wuhan experience, over 2 months & without any mitigation measures - looks likely to prove an order of magnitude different to the New York experience with some effort at mitigation.

It does seem somewhat unlikely that both those outcomes are being accurately reported.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                    Chinese study failed to reproduce the French one, but was complicated by multiple other treatments in use at the same time.

Also turns out one of the lead authors is also the lead editor of the paper it was published in. He's previously been censured for faking data.

AFAICT it might be a good treatment, he might be a world class chancer, or both of those things at the same time. He looks like a world class chancer:

SPOILER

Ffs, have none of you seen Contagian?

This guy just an extension of Jude Law's character.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                        Ooof I was getting ready to blame emmet for that one

git up te fuck. You have the situation arse over tit.

Never not been disparaging of the guy.

Comment

I'd imagine if they are lifting confinement in Wuhan the authorities think its genuinely over. As keeping a smallish city (about 5 million) confined for longer would be of no importance in the context of protecting the broader China population numbers of 1.4 billion. Hard to see how it matters to us either.
                                                          11 million.

But curiously 5 metres above sea level....

Comment

You mean Wuhan was confined for two months or wasn't?

It was total and absolute confinement - not allowed out of your apartment, all public transport fully shut down - for two months.
                                                            I mean that it wasn't. The first reported case was on December 1st though it seems likely the actual 1st case was 2 weeks before that.

Lockdown was on January 23rd
                                                            Last edited by Western_Sean; 01-04-20, 11:40.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                              Email from work to download some yoke called Yammer. Looks kinda like fb. Whole company on it.

My plan was to drink for the day. Might not have a job to go back to if I don't stay away from the keyboard
                                                              3rd post gone up.

You can add polls and all which I did. Then clicked into members 978 Inc the CEO
                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Comment

Comment

Ah no, hopefully nothing too bad as comments of him holding chest at press conference yesterday.

Really impressed with him so far and hopefully we can manage this well and he is given some sort of state award.

Comment

Across our businesses, we have committed $500M to support our employees through continued pay and benefits where operations have been paused or impacted, and we have committed significant resources to support our customers.

Wonder how long that 500 m will last....

Great oul company tbf.
                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Across our businesses, we have committed $500M to support our employees through continued pay and benefits where operations have been paused or impacted, and we have committed significant resources to support our customers.

Wonder how long that 500 m will last....

Great oul company tbf.
                                                                        No-one ever said Rupert Murdoch was a ruthless bastard.

Oh wait....
                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                            No-one ever said Rupert Murdoch was a ruthless bastard.

Oh wait....
                                                                            Comcast own us
                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Didn't Murdoch sell Sky to Comcast ages ago? Hence their decent Brexit coverage

Comment

Sky is a British company, no? Why are they reporting spending in dollars.
                                                                                Comcast, NBCUniversal, sky.....
                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Ah yeah, they were the first in the world with the outbreak. No surprise it took so long to go past business-as-usual inertia. At least they acted with the right decision when it became clear it couldn't be contained by normal measures.....
                                                                                  I think we agree that
                                                                                  1. First virus case in Wuhan is sometime in late November or early December
                                                                                  2. Lockdown takes place 7-9 weeks later
                                                                                  3. New York is a good parallel for Wuhan

If we project New York deaths forward @20% growth odd a day for 2.5 weeks (which seems reasonable - since for the Wuhan parallel, no mitigation measures would have applied in that timeframe) we get 40k in total deaths over a 7 week period.

That was originally sourced from this article, which was the first to mention it.
                                                                                  ....
                                                                                  Everything about that article screams falseness.
                                                                                  Feel any differently about this article & the quality of Chinese government mortality cause reporting now?

Comment

At what rate does hair grow?

Comment

Half an inch a month...
                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Half an inch a month...
                                                                                        I wont . I wont I wont

Comment

For anyone living in town (or within 2km of Pearse st I guess) Bread41 are open for pre booked collections:

You can take a stroll and pop in and collect a nice loaf and a couple of pastries. Not a bad thing to enjoy on the weekend.

EDIT: they’re delivering too actually
                                                                                          Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 01-04-20, 12:50.
                                                                                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                            Just got arrested for driving to work with no letter ID Got heated . Told him to cop on and he lost the plot bloody culchies. Have to stay in this stupid station for 3 hours

Shits getting real
                                                                                            I wonder how many you caught with this one? Obvs only Keane admitted it

I was stopped twice on the way into work yesterday. First check point in Phibsborough asked where I was going. Said I had a letter as part of essential services so I was waved on without even checking it.

Second one was in Ballymun a few minutes later and they wanted to see the letter to make sure I wasn't just making it up.

Comment

What area

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                                                                What area
                                                                                                Co. Dublin

Comment

Just show us Lazare.

Comment

Co. Dublin
                                                                                                    Some of the lads on here might be able to do up a pie chart for you
                                                                                                    Showing growth areas in your location
                                                                                                    Might take wind rain and length into the equation when showing u results

Comment

I think Trump & Hitch getting their population stats from the same spot.

I love how Trump delivers with such conviction.
                                                                                                      Donald Trump said that federal physical distancing guidelines might be toughened as he urged Americans to help fight the coronavirus with tough measures thro...

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                                                        Just show us Lazare.
                                                                                                        Ah I'm only joking, she didn't do a bad job. Little shorter than I'd normally go but don't need to wear a balaclava like I feared.

Comment

...

Comment

Surely a 10 on the Irony scale.

British American Tobacco works on potential vaccine
                                                                                                            From CNN's Lauren Kent in London

British American Tobacco (BAT) is in pre-clinical testing for a potential Covid-19 vaccine that utilizes fast-growing tobacco plant technology, said the company in a statement Wednesday.

The vaccine is being developed by BAT biotechnology subsidiary Kentucky BioProcessing, in the United States.

"If testing goes well, BAT is hopeful that, with the right partners and support from government agencies, between 1 and 3 million doses of the vaccine could be manufactured per week, beginning in June," the statement said. "Tobacco plants offer the potential for faster and safer vaccine development compared to conventional methods."

Comment

Ah I'm only joking, she didn't do a bad job. Little shorter than I'd normally go but don't need to wear a balaclava like I feared.
                                                                                                              Have pics of this and it's a top job. Missus can be proud of herself.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                    I'll cede that for the moment, but I can only see this getting louder over time.
                                                                                                                    Gove was on the BBC saying china "weren't clear" about the scale as well by the way.
                                                                                                                    ''Member of government who have fcuked up attempts to deflect blame'' it's hardly a shocking headline, not sure what diference it makes anyway??

Comment

What colour is the hair?

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                                      For anyone living in town (or within 2km of Pearse st I guess) Bread41 are open for pre booked collections:

You can take a stroll and pop in and collect a nice loaf and a couple of pastries. Not a bad thing to enjoy on the weekend.

EDIT: they’re delivering too actually
                                                                                                                      Might get some bread from there cheers. Buttercream dream are a vegan bakery delivering cupcakes, brownies, cakes kinda thing etc that I will also buy from. They won best bakery in Ireland this year.

Comment

The Charlestown Shuffle

Supermarkets are trying hard with their measures to keep things disinfected with the provision of gloves, and trolley handle spray & wipes at the entrances of most supermarkets and it must be commended. There are even staff going around wiping trolley stacks and fridge doors. However there is the odd observation I made today that could be improved upon and I brought this to a higher up at Dunnes. You know the higher ups in supermarkets as they dont wear a uniform like the others but rather a shirt and slacks and wear the perfunctory bunch of keys strapped to their slacks just in case there is any confusion as to who they are.

Charlestown shopping centre 1st floor, massive foyer and im queing to get in. I noticed that all the trolleys in the bay had a pair of discarded disposable gloves from the previous user because there is no bin at the trolley bay so people now done with their gloves when getting back their €1 or €2 on clickage have nowhere to put their gloves they put them in the trolley!.

So a higher up emerged and is chit chatting with the girl regulating the queue and he takes it upon himself to take over this task for as long as he decides to slouch off somewhere else and so hes letting people in 3's and 4's and I bink the last of a 4 train to be allowed in. Not content with this as I pass the point entry I stop a respectful couple metres back and engage him with the observation that theres used gloves in the trolleys and the observation that if there is an available bin at the trolley bay people will use it?. Hes kind of looking semi suspicious of this shopper whos main aim doesnt seem to be a supermarket sweep but as im landing the suggestion gently he isnt overly on his heels but hes initially dismissing the idea as he replies as if solving the issue that theres a bin just up there. What!. ''So I need to put on a pair of gloves to pick up a pair of discarded gloves in the trolley to throw them away''?. He says listen people wouldnt use it if there was a bin there. I said I would!. He said with a knowing look, I know that, listen, you and I would but(with a knowing look pointing through himself with his finger at the queue behind) but they wouldnt. As I walked to don the gloves he said listen ill certainly pass that on. I tried and this was my contribution to society for the day.

Exiting Dunnes there's an ATM and Postbox situated together outside Dunnes on the right. So needing to post a letter I noticed there was a queue formed 4 deep for the ATM starting 18-20yds back and orderly spacing every 2m after that. The ATM was obscured by the post box as I approached to post. When I got there I noticed that there was nobody actually standing at the ATM! and for a second wondered what were they queing for?.

Turns out yer man at the top standing 18-20yds back just happened to be standing there looking at his phone with no thought or intention of using the ATM but by doing so he inadvertently started a queue!. As I walked away yer one behind the inadvertent queue starter eventually copped on behind him and tensely awoke him from his slumber from 2m to confirm!.

Comment

Oh for sweet + savory pastries too, if anybody can collect from Dorset, I've been giving veginity a lot of business heh. They change every day.
                                                                                                                          E.G.

Pain Au Chocolat
                                                                                                                          Peanut Chocolate Chip Cookie
                                                                                                                          Almond Croissant
                                                                                                                          Wildberry Vanilla Croissant
                                                                                                                          Oreo and Chocolate Ganache Donut
                                                                                                                          Peanut Caramel Donut
                                                                                                                          Coffee Scroll
                                                                                                                          Pain au raisin
                                                                                                                          Pizza Rolls with Kalamata Olives, Tomato and Cheese
                                                                                                                          Cinnamon Roll
                                                                                                                          Zucchini Chese Muffin
                                                                                                                          Monster Coffee Truffles
                                                                                                                          Lemon curd + cream pie.
                                                                                                                          Poppy seed Frangipane (my favourite)

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 01-04-20, 14:13.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X