Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
    The rules state "To take brief individual personal exercise"

One hour running is not brief.
    I went for a 35 minute walk with my 2 kids this morning, 1 of whom was in a pram and the other stood on a buggy board the whole time. Is that permitted, given that I have touched nothing and didn't pass within a couple of metres of anyone else on a windy day.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
      The UK rhetoric around the coronavirus is really questionable in spots.

Even RTE reporting on deaths in the UK refer to it as "deaths linked to coronavirus" opposed to deaths from coronavirus.

It seems as though the numbers could be used in a far more advantageous manner if there was simple alignment. Irrespective of underlying ailments and/or age, if you contract coronavirus and die while still infected, coronavirus was the cause.

I saw Andrew Neil pushing this narrative but I thought it was more of a fringe view. Brexit has really caused a very fundamental shift in the UK rhetoric. It is just mirroring the polarisation of the US more and more.
      The last few weeks have made me very glad to be Irish. He has had similar views in the past regarding HIV and Aids.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
        to be fair bud, blithely thinking the rules don't apply to you because of *your* exceptional circumstances is precisely why the rules needed to be tightened in the first place
        For the past few weeks I've changed my route to countryside. I cross roads when approaching people. I can name the 3 people I've physically come into contact with since the schools closed. My wife and two kids.

I've ran in front of oncoming traffic to avoid people feeling uncomfortable with me passing them.

I roll down my sleeves to touch surfaces, in case I have it.

Please don't suggest I don't give a bollix.

I'll say a soft go fuck yourself to you because I love you.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

It seems deliberately vague to me. An hour is a long time for a wank, not so much for more aerobic exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
            For the past few weeks I've changed my route to countryside. I cross roads when approaching people. I can name the 3 people I've physically come into contact with since the schools closed. My wife and two kids.

I've ran in front of oncoming traffic to avoid people feeling uncomfortable with me passing them.

I roll down my sleeves to touch surfaces, in case I have it.

Please don't suggest I don't give a bollix.

I'll say a soft go fuck yourself to you because I love you.
            I'll batter you and all

Look, I of course get you are taking all precautions. I just think the mentality that "it doesn't apply to ME because...." is probably not what the world needs at the moment.
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

In your opinion, and others who disagree, what constitutes brief exercise. As we would all have differing opinions on it clearly, would be interested to what others think.

One I can see happening and find funny are people who have never walked further than from the couch to the fridge all of a sudden worried about a 2km restriction on exercise

Comment

I'll batter you and all

Look, I of course get you are taking all precautions. I just think the mentality that "it doesn't apply to ME because...." is probably not what the world needs at the moment.
                Nobody said it doesnt apply to them though. Lazare is clearly abiding by the restrictions and not running more than 2km from his house and is doing it in under an hour. We did the weekly shop today and we were out for more than an hour with Qs for the shop.

Comment

Health guidelines are at least 30 minutes right?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

One I can see happening and find funny are people who have never walked further than from the couch to the fridge all of a sudden worried about a 2km restriction on exercise
                    or the opposite. People now have a valid excuse NOT to exercise
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Comment

Maybe not for you. I normally run between 80 and 120 mins.

60 mins is brief.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I'll batter you and all

I'm not sure what you're getting at? What are you saying that he thinks don't apply to him? He's following the restrictions, taking precautions, same as me and most others. It's the twats that were going to the likes of Glendalough that needed tighter restrictions that led to this now, and that wasn't the likes of Conor.

Comment

Maybe not for you. I normally run between 80 and 120 mins.

60 mins is brief.
                              Nobody cares how long you normally run. 10 - 20 mins is brief. When they word the regulations they are using words as they are generally understood by the population, they aren't using your normal exercise as a yardstick.

Comment

Just keep social distance. Simple Run the bollocks off yourself but keep it to yourself . Keeping everyone happy

I'm gonna go for a ....ah here never mind.

Comment

In your opinion, and others who disagree, what constitutes brief exercise. As we would all have differing opinions on it clearly, would be interested to what others think.

Brief is ten to fifteen minutes. If you don't believe me google it.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                    I'm not sure what you're getting at? What are you saying that he thinks don't apply to him? He's following the restrictions, taking precautions, same as me and most others. It's the twats that were going to the likes of Glendalough that needed tighter restrictions that led to this now, and that wasn't the likes of Conor.
                                    Originally posted by Lazare
                                    Went for a 12k run this morn, keeping within the 2km limit.
                                    I'd think it's pretty obvious.
                                    I think it's pretty clear a lot of us have very different idea's about what is meant.
                                    Like if laz said, there's an empty racing track and he took a dozen laps, no one would give a bollox. It's not, here's the area in which you can run, try and cover as much ground as possible in that space.

That being said, I'm still in/on bed having been working all day eating foxes glaciers....

Comment

Kinda shocked that you still use google as a search engine. (ok that was only implied)

Nobody cares how long you normally run. 10 - 20 mins is brief. When they word the regulations they are using words as they are generally understood by the population, they aren't using your normal exercise as a yardstick.
                                      I strongly disagree on this. Lazare going for a 50 minute run is probably less likely to cause him injury than the likes of me running 20 seconds for a bus. Needing help/rescue from the emergency services is one of the reasons for encouraging people to not do extreme stuff.
                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                        I went for a 35 minute walk with my 2 kids this morning, 1 of whom was in a pram and the other stood on a buggy board the whole time. Is that permitted, given that I have touched nothing and didn't pass within a couple of metres of anyone else on a windy day.
                                        It was windy! Jaysus you could have been blowing Covid-19 for miles.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                          White Hag delivery arrived at 4pm today. A quarter of my mix and match crate gone over the course of an enjoyable zoom chat. The Hazy IPA a new favourite.

You’re gonna have to cut yourself off at one nice beer the next few days. Fill the holes with swill.
                                          I really wish I'd listened to this advice

Comment

That's fair enough. No need to Google it. I only asked for your opinion, I just dont agree with it is all. If I went for a 15 minute run I'd barely be warmed up. The reason I was planning on sticking to the 5k is because it's a decent distance for a decent enough cardio work out and I can do it in less than 25 minutes door to door which imo, is brief.

Have to say fair play to the GAA manager who sent us a strength and core work out. 4 exercises, 30 seconds on 10 seconds rest and do 4 rounds. Can be done in the back garden or in the sitting room so hopefully lads use it.

Comment

Thank you for that Opr.

You do make a really good point. I think I'll endeavour to run at 6am, I do that on work days anyway and I'm alone in the world. And maybe keep it to max 5 miles.
                                              5 miles ???

casual

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                Kinda shocked that you still use google as a search engine. (ok that was only implied)

I strongly disagree on this. Lazare going for a 50 minute run is probably less likely to cause him injury than the likes of me running 20 seconds for a bus. Needing help/rescue from the emergency services is one of the reasons for encouraging people to not do extreme stuff.
                                                What search engine should I use?

I don't think the risk of injury whilst training is much of a factor, they want people INSIDE their houses as much as possible. They made a few small exceptions including allowing people out for a small bit of exercise. It's depressing that at every stage people are unable to look past their own vested interests.

Comment

Lockdown day number one in the Gavigan household

3 arguments already.

1st = mild
                                                  2nd = moderate
                                                  3rd = severe

This just ain't working fml

Currently typing (self isolating from whole family) from bed. Mia's suggestion last week was good. Let's, all buy a mini fridge for our bedrooms, didn't bother obv
                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

That's fair enough. No need to Google it. I only asked for your opinion, I just dont agree with it is all. If I went for a 15 minute run I'd barely be warmed up
                                                    Cool - you don't want to find out what the government restrictions actually meant, you just plan on suiting yourself. Well done.

Comment

What search engine should I use?
                                                      It depends on what answers or service you want, I would have thought.

Comment

Cool - you don't want to find out what the government restrictions actually meant, you just plan on suiting yourself. Well done.
                                                        jaysus. Instead of getting arsey about it why dont you link me to where the govt recommend 10 to 15 minutes. Just for the sake of it I googled it and couldn't see one official Govt source for what they suggest.

I did see some sites that have "brief workouts" on their pages which start at 1 minute and go up to 20mins.

Comment

Also, I'm more at risk of catching something when I'm at work, well outside the 2km radius and for 10 hours a day, dealing with shit loads of people, than I am on a 5k loop around the village.

Comment

Enjoying people getting pissy about one person going for a run avoiding everyone in doing so. Every single person I've seen running has taken a very wide birth when coming near others.
                                                            Earlier, I was out in Finglas beside Kildonan Park and literally saw 20+ people playing a game of football. I really want to see them clamping down on that kind of group more than a person going for a run yet respecting the distance
                                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Also, I'm more at risk of catching something when I'm at work, well outside the 2km radius and for 10 hours a day, dealing with shit loads of people, than I am on a 5k loop around the village.
                                                              Awful logic. If you're at risk catching it at work, you should not be out in public.
                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

I don't think the people here are those you need to be inflamed by HJ. As Hotspur rightly said earlier, people here are intelligent.

I didn't appreciate his questioning of why "intelligent" people would bother determining a rough estimate of a radius from their home but he's right that people shouldn't *need* to know the precise definition of brief or precise distances to follow the guidelines.

The guys here who may be exceeding the technical guidelines are smart enough to make the decision as to what is right and wrong from the government's fundamental directive.

They're the least of our worries in terms of spreading the disease. It's an adjustment for everyone but I suspect all of us here are making smart decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                  It was windy! Jaysus you could have been blowing Covid-19 for miles.

I remember jumping when I saw that scene . Great flick.
                                                                  My new covid19 pic

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                    I remember jumping when I saw that scene . Great flick.
                                                                    My new covid19 pic
                                                                    Lol, I thought that was from a Kate Bush video.

Comment

Am about to bring my 2 year old out the back garden.

How will that make you feel HJ?

Should I make it brief?

Comment

Its probably futile complaining about people justifying their own exceptions to the rules. We're not a compliant society and people will continue to angle this to suit their selfish needs.

Stress weakens your immune system and increases your chance of contracting Corona so probably best to come to a point of acceptance for your own well being that people will continue to be dicks.
                                                                        Last edited by The Situation; 28-03-20, 16:34.
                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Should I make it brief?
                                                                          Have you got 2m cleareance with your neighbours garden? Are the rats been taken care of?

Comment

Have you got 2m cleareance with your neighbours garden? Are the rats been taken care of?
                                                                            The rat(s) somehow just disappeared, thankfully. Maybe it was someone's loose pet.

Comment

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                Its probably futile complaining about people justifying their own exceptions to the rules. We're not a compliant society and people will continue to angle this to suit their selfish needs.

Stress weakens your immune system and increases your chance of contracting Corona so probably best to come to a point of acceptance for your own well being that people will continue to be dicks.
                                                                                I'm a dickhead for running alone on a countryside path for an hour?

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post

People will indeed continue to be dicks, yes.

Comment

Should I make it brief?
                                                                                    Put a jacket on him
                                                                                    It’s a bit chilly out

Comment

Lol, I thought that was from a Kate Bush video.
                                                                                      My 6 year old loves Cloubustin and Babooska. Must plays in the car. Him and his bro. I'm all yours babooska babooska babooska ya ya top of their lungs . Love it.

Comment

I'm a dickhead for running alone on a countryside path for an hour?
                                                                                        I think it is more the fact that it is the 1st day of the lockdown and people see a stranger running around, it seems kinda insensitive, and they worry it encourages more people to go out.

There's a time and place for that. Right place, time... Not so much.
                                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                          The UK rhetoric around the coronavirus is really questionable in spots.

Even RTE reporting on deaths in the UK refer to it as "deaths linked to coronavirus" opposed to deaths from coronavirus.

It seems as though the numbers could be used in a far more advantageous manner if there was simple alignment. Irrespective of underlying ailments and/or age, if you contract coronavirus and die while still infected, coronavirus was the cause.

I saw Andrew Neil pushing this narrative but I thought it was more of a fringe view. Brexit has really caused a very fundamental shift in the UK rhetoric. It is just mirroring the polarisation of the US more and more.
                                                                                          Big jump in numbers in UK today. 20,000 deaths is a harrowing best case scenario.

NHS England medical director Prof Stephen Powis says if the death toll in the UK is kept below 20,000, "we will have done very well". It was "possible to get on top of this virus",
                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

God be with the days when Hitch used to bring the kids on super long walks and deride others on Twitter for not doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                              Big jump in numbers in UK today. 20,000 deaths is a harrowing best case scenario.
                                                                                              They're also underreporting deaths. Only counting it as a death if they can't argue the person would have died of something else within the next 12 months. Their figures are reported at a lag so they have time to adjust them downwards as much as possible.

But they voted for this, so fuck them.
                                                                                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                I think it is more the fact that it is the 1st day of the lockdown and people see a stranger running around, it seems kinda insensitive, and they worry it encourages more people to go out.

There's a time and place for that. Right place, time... Not so much.
                                                                                                Thank you. Like Opr this is fair and reasoned critique, unlike the high horsing condescension of others.

It's an angle I never thought of, and I will now. I will run, but I'll run while people sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                  initially I had no issue with Laz's run, but then I saw the map of his run on twitter and spotted that he went running out the road to my house, but thankfully didn't pass my gate. So all I can say is run away Laz, just not in the vicinity of my gaff, not in my back yard you could say.

/joking
                                                                                                  Haha, got squared up to by two dogs up your way. Won't be running that road again.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                    God be with the days when Hitch used to bring the kids on super long walks and deride others on Twitter for not doing the same.
                                                                                                    That must have been the least believable Hitch story ever. The man has a problem with both real numbers and integers, nevermind any operations between them.

Comment

You can be a right dick at times, can't you?

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Not a dig at laz , but Your mental health isn’t great to begin with if a few weeks not being able to go to gym etc has you on the edge

I’m using it to live like an absolute slob guilt free, tins of heino and melted cheese sandwiches all day here

Comment

To hopefully ease the tension and lighten the mood here is a video of some competitive eating by dogs voiced by BBC commentator Andrew Cotter...

Comment

I often feel this way, though on any reflection it doesn't sit well with me. It's a bit like saying we voted for Bertie Aherne(more than once), so fuck us.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                  Not a dig at laz , but Your mental health isn’t great to begin with if a few weeks not being able to go to gym etc has you on the edge

I’m using it to live like an absolute slob guilt free, tins of heino and melted cheese sandwiches all day here
                                                                                                                  I think what Laz is describing when he says mental health is:

Motivation, Discipline, Clarity, Mood control, frustration control, productivity etc

When I am in a decent habit and schedule all that stuff above is so much easier and clearer. If I drop it or get thrown out of whack, all of it suffers.

I can see why keeping up the running is really important given my own perspective.
                                                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Quite clear from listening to Harris there that Lazare is doing it right. It's a guidance to keep you near to home .
                                                                                                                    Distance from home being the key.

Let the brow beating cease .

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

So if people say their mental health isnt great then it isnt great . Hmmm

Comment

Haha, got squared up to by two dogs up your way. Won't be running that road again.
                                                                                                                        Wtf is that. Gab the local Mr Burns now ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                          Ha, it was true. We don't have a car so end up walking everywhere. So kids are used to long walks.
                                                                                                                          I accept that you think that. How about you post one real life photo of somewhere on the planet you've been? You mentioned the local village you visited recently , why not share a photo. If I had never met you in real life, I would be convinced you were a fictional creation. Always with the stock photos.

That probably should have been a pm. Yeah I'm ok hun.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X