This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    Oh noes...and they all try so hard as well...Young wans done up like it's Junior Cert. night walking around the place.
    Was in town the other day and crossed paths with what I thought was a crowd leaving an underage disco, turned out it was a college night for first years. We're all getting old.

Comment

22%. Someone will have to service the machines that replace other people's jobs. That someone will be me.
      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I'm with Raoul on made up numberments.
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
          22%. Someone will have to service the machines that replace other people's jobs. That someone will be me.
          When Intel where having all the layoffs a few years ago, I rang a mate of mine to see if he was going to be alright

"Ahhh, ya, i'l be fine"

ya?

"Ya, sur im one of about four who can turn on all the fucking machines"

Apparently there was a bit of a meeting with the big wigs when this was discovered

Comment

Early opinions of OnePlus 2 Danny?
            I quite like it, however;
            the fingerprint scanner is a bit finicky.
            One initial setup, it was waiting AGES to connect to the network, I skipped it and it had already connected.
            It seems delicate
            The USB-C charger means I need to care for this power cable and buy a few spares for laptop charging etc.
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

My reaction to this post was to google which Premier League team he managed...Well up on politics, me.
              It's not so easy in Australia:

1996-2007 John Howard as PM
              2007 Kevin Rudd Elected
              2008 Malcolm Turnbull elected liberal party leader
              2009 Malcolm Turnbull ousted as liberal leader by Tony Abbott
              2010 PM Kevin Rudd ousted by Julia Gillard (His deputy)
              2012 PM Julia Gillard challenged by Kevin Rudd (Rudd defeated)
              2013 PM Julia Gillard ousted by Kevin Rudd
              2013 Tony Abbott wins election
              2015 Feb - Liberal Party leadership spill (defeated)
              2015 Sep - PM Tony Abbott challenged by Malcolm Turnbull

So the last person to serve a full term was elected in 1996.

Comment

8% chance that there will be no programmers in 20 years, I am very worried
                Wonder are there any surprising ones in there, must randomly enter things.

For a lot of them i can't imagine how the automation would even work.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                  It's not so easy in Australia:

1996-2007 John Howard as PM
                  2007 Kevin Rudd Elected
                  2008 Malcolm Turnbull elected liberal party leader
                  2009 Malcolm Turnbull ousted as liberal leader by Tony Abbott
                  2010 PM Kevin Rudd ousted by Julia Gillard (His deputy)
                  2012 PM Julia Gillard challenged by Kevin Rudd (Rudd defeated)
                  2013 PM Julia Gillard ousted by Kevin Rudd
                  2013 Tony Abbott wins election
                  2015 Feb - Liberal Party leadership spill (defeated)
                  2015 Sep - PM Tony Abbott challenged by Malcolm Turnbull

So the last person to serve a full term was elected in 1996.
                  I reckon it's coz they lost the Ashes. Deserved ousting imo
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    I reckon it's coz they lost the Ashes. Deserved ousting imo
                    Only needed to hang on 4 more days for a serious pension increase

Could have been - $539,338 per year
                    Will be - $307,542
                    OustOustOust

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                      Only needed to hang on 4 more days for a serious pension increase

OustOustOust
                      Is that p.a.?

Fuck and people moan about pensions here

Comment

Is that p.a.?

Fuck and people moan about pensions here
                        Aus dollars per annum aye

If he wants, he can take half of it as a lump sum of $1.53 million and take the rest as an annual pension worth $153,771.

If previous prime ministers are any guide, he'll also receive other entitlements. Kevin Rudd, Julia Gillard and John Howard each receive an extra $300,000 a year with which to maintain a staffed office, plus travel costs.

Comment

No wonder there are three PMs for every election they hold. The last full term PM was before the iphone was invented haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                            Murphy to claim the figures are wrong in 3...2...1...
                            Bingo

So for first bill, @IrishWater refused to give figures. Now they're giving updates the moment they pass 50% mark. Forgive my skepticism.
                            — Paul Murphy (@paulmurphyAAA) September 14, 2015
                            @Scholllives @maryharryheff @fiachkelly @IrishTimes even if 50% had paid, we'd still be looking good in fairness!
                            — Paul Murphy (@paulmurphyAAA) September 14, 2015

Comment

Conservatives must be busting their holes laughing.:
                              Didn't take long. Here's Cameron and team at Prime Minister's Questions today after Corbyn asked some frighteningly naive question about refugees.

Their holes can be seen breaking with laughter below.

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen Osborne smile before. This guy is going to sink the BLP for ever.

Comment

@Raoul, that photo can't be from today, Cameron is in Lebannon...
                                  David Cameron calls on other EU countries to "step up to the plate" and fund refugee camps near Syria, while on a visit to Lebanon and Jordan.

Comment

PMQs is Wednesdays.
                                    Good to see the establishment feels the need to make stuff up.

Comment

@Raoul, that photo can't be from today, Cameron is in Lebannon...
                                      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34242346
                                      Oh, fooled by false news stories again.

Mea culpa

Comment

New Model Army show from the summer.
                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Be interested to see what anybody else there thought of it/

iSnow - You make it in the end?
                                          Yeah, travelled up with a friend who had previously won several entrepreneurial awards from Google, LEO etc. He was old hat to this kinda thing and attired himself appropriately in the standard blazer, white shirt and jeans with brown shoes. This seemed to be the chosen regalia for quite a few attendees which gave me a chuckle.

We were up in plenty of time but a last minute bout of manflu meant I had zero tolerance for any other speaker other than Jordan. I got the feeling that the whole thing was an extended pyramid marketing scheme and although I was grateful for the free ticket, after about Noon, I couldn't listen to anymore shite so hit the pub.

I've got a friend who is a successful motivational speaker based in Malta who's raking it in.
                                          He often posts on FB from conferences around the world and definitely seems to be on to something. He has no car and rents his apartment which is enough to tell me it's all a pile of nonsense. I got him drunk one night and he told me that about 1% of clients take up his call-to-action so he has to adjust his marketing campaigns accordingly. He charges €5K per day to tell you to cop yourself on. Occasionally he'll call you a cunt if you're lucky.

Jordan seemed to contradict himself quite a bit and although the talk was enjoyable I get the feeling that it was all just hot air. Eg. Spoke about ethics and how he could have made billions but defended his business strategy claiming that only 5% of what he was doing was illegal..
                                          Also when he mentioned that great wealth took alot of hard work this contradicted some of his earlier stuff from Youtube which claimed it was easy.

I took a few things away with me regarding building a business and how it became easier as the company had grown to a certain size. This was seconded by my mate who is 27 and employs 24 people. He told me it was more difficult operationally at the start but pretty much runs itself now.

Worth it? I wouldn't have been too pissed off paying €35 for a ticket but any more and I'd have been fuming.
                                          You mentioned there were lots of signups for extended courses proving that a certain % of toolboxes will prove how gullible they are. Maybe we're in the wrong business?
                                          What size blazer do you wear?

Comment

If these cunce who claim to know how to get rich actually knew what they were talking about then they wouldn't be flying around the world sharing their secret.

Comment

1% which is highly surprising.

I call made-up numberaments.
                                              In my current profession it says there is a 37% chance of my job being automated.

Highly unlikely that people would dine in a place where the food is made by robots. No creative flair or anything. Just silly really.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                In my current profession it says there is a 37% chance of my job being automated.

Highly unlikely that people would dine in a place where the food is made by robots. No creative flair or anything. Just silly really.
                                                Not many joints display creative flair. I would have thought food preparation was a model for automation myself.

Comment

McDonald's should be fully automated in the next few years, tough to see the higher end following suit though.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                    Early opinions of OnePlus 2 Danny?
                                                    I quite like it, however;
                                                    the fingerprint scanner is a bit finicky.
                                                    One initial setup, it was waiting AGES to connect to the network, I skipped it and it had already connected.
                                                    It seems delicate
                                                    The USB-C charger means I need to care for this power cable and buy a few spares for laptop charging etc.
                                                    Really liking it so far, had that weird connection issue but it was already on my WiFi when skipped, fingerprint scanner has been spot on so far and one of the main features I'm really digging about it, keep feeling like I'm going to snap the back cover when removing it, litte bit more weight that OPO which I actually like not too much smaller than the original but sits a bit better in the hand when using it, camera seems pretty decent but haven't tried it out fully but the app itself is kinda lacking compared to the Cyanogenmod version, can't figure out the DPI settings I might have to root to change it all the icons feel too big for the screen, haven't seen any type-c cables on the OnePlus site yet?
                                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Comment

@Raoul, that photo can't be from today, Cameron is in Lebanon...
                                                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34242346
                                                        Or is he in "The Lebanon" ?

Comment

That pic just shows you how stuff can appear on the internet that people will believe without question.

Everest is 8km above mean sea level and the deepest ocean is 10 km below mean sea level. The diameter of the earth at mean sea level is around 12,700 km.

Comparatively the earth is smoother than a snooker ball.

Comment

That pic just shows you how stuff can appear on the internet that people will believe without question
                                                            It did have a solid element of believability tbf

Comment

It did have a solid element of believability tbf
                                                              I know, that's what I meant. The kind of thing you would happily believe without question. Not that it makes any difference to people's daily lives.

I suppose Abraham Lincoln did say not to believe anything you read on the internet.

Comment

This is all of the water on earth bunched up in ball compared with the earth. The smaller blue ball is fresh water.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                    The issue is that it means, in reality, about 37% of roles in your type of job will automated, meaning 37% less people are needed.

Same with accountants at 98%. It's not that the profession won't exist, but rather that for every 100 accountants today, 2 will do the work of those 100 in 20 years with the assistance of automated processes.
                                                                    Great, I can retire early.
                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Dice are you still alive after Saturday night?
                                                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

This is all of the water on earth bunched up in ball compared with the earth. The smaller blue ball is fresh water.

FG should use that when arguing the merits of water charges

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                          Great, I can retire early.
                                                                          I suspect he means book keepers rather than accountants. I've met some accountants with a highly creative streak.

Comment

I suspect he means book keepers rather than accountants. I've met some accountants with a highly creative streak.
                                                                            I have had a few good creations in my time.

Comment

I think where it is going is that most auditing will be automated with less and less number crunchers.Most transactions in large companies are already highly automated with less button pushers required.

Comment

I think where it is going is that most auditing will be automated with less and less number crunchers.Most transactions in large companies are already highly automated with less button pushers required.
                                                                                oh, this is so not true (it is the dream alright) - the auld permanent temporary workarounds

Comment

oh, this is so not true (it is the dream alright) - the auld permanent temporary workarounds
                                                                                  We are talking about in 20 years time. Each year that goes by technology makes data input more automated and hence the audit of this information becomes more automated. Certainly people above a certain level will be required. No machine could do what I do.

Comment

Dice are you still alive after Saturday night?
                                                                                    Yeah grand. Bust the Redbet after an hour when I lost a flip to get back into it & just crashed on the couch watching the sport on Sunday after that as she's away till 2mrw. Was fun. Rag2Gar must of taken a load of videos of himself everywhere we went coz he's been drip feeding them to me since.

Comment

95% here. Can't be having that frankly.

Comment

Just on the chat the other day about garlic. I love the taste of this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                          Yeah grand. Bust the Redbet after an hour when I lost a flip to get back into it & just crashed on the couch watching the sport on Sunday after that as she's away till 2mrw. Was fun. Rag2Gar must of taken a load of videos of himself everywhere we went coz he's been drip feeding them to me since.
                                                                                          Whatsapp them to me

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                            Rag2Gar looked like the happiest man on the planet.

Comment

Best stick to the football chad. Zuutroy is our science correspondent
                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                Best stick to the football chad. Zuutroy is our science correspondent
                                                                                                You know you will be punished for that comment.

Comment

On the creative flair thing, what does that mean? Watch from a little after the 11th minutes MsFlushdraw. It is an very interesting debate.

Support Grey making videos: https://www.patreon.com/cgpgrey## Robots, Etc:Terex Port automation: http://www.terex.com/port-solutions/en/products/new-equipmen...

The more interesting question in the automation debate is what happens when we have mass unemployment through no fault of those people? Do the government have to pay a living wage? How would that work? Corporations are going to resist any attempts at them funding such a thing but ultimately it is the only way it works? What kind of s society would we have with so many people with so much free time?

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                    On the creative flair thing, what does that mean? Watch from a little after the 11th minutes MsFlushdraw. It is an very interesting debate.

Support Grey making videos: https://www.patreon.com/cgpgrey## Robots, Etc:Terex Port automation: http://www.terex.com/port-solutions/en/products/new-equipmen...

The more interesting question in the automation debate is what happens when we have mass unemployment through no fault of those people? Do the government have to pay a living wage? How would that work? Corporations are going to resist any attempts at them funding such a thing but ultimately it is the only way it works? What kind of s society would we have with so many people with so much free time?

Opr
                                                                                                    It's MRS Flushdraw actually. Married 3 years now

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Opr
                                                                                                          Was there supposed to be sound? I am a pastry chef so like to think that the sort of creativity that is expected in that job would not be as unique and interesting than what a program cam put out.

Comment

Girls can Code - BBC3. Worth a squint.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                              Was there supposed to be sound? I am a pastry chef so like to think that the sort of creativity that is expected in that job would not be as unique and interesting than what a program cam put out.
                                                                                                              Yeah it has sound. Basically creative bots are being developed. Piece of music playing in the background in the clip that is written by a bot, paintings they have done and people can't tell the difference between human endeavour and the bots. It's a developing field but this thing we like to see as a human trait we call creativity is being developed in our new overlords.

Opr

Comment

Film recommendation? Thriller/crime would be good...
                                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                                  Film recommendation? Thriller/crime would be good...
                                                                                                                  Recommended a few times here so you may have seen it but The Gift is very enjoyable. About to watch the first episode of This is England 90, so looking forward to this.

Opr

Comment

Recommended a few times here so you may have seen it but The Gift is very enjoyable. About to watch the first episode of This is England 90, so looking forward to this.

Opr
                                                                                                                    Will check if there's a link for the gift
                                                                                                                    Edit: no joy, back to the drawing board
                                                                                                                    Last edited by eamonhonda; 14-09-15, 20:30.
                                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

If nobody works anymore because robots provide all products and services, who buys the products and services?
                                                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                        If nobody works anymore because robots provide all products and services, who buys the products and services?
                                                                                                                        the 1%

Comment

See Hollywood made a version of man on wire. Can't imagine it will come close.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X