This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
    Kids love been separated from their friends alright.
    Of all the many stupid things that parents get worked up about this is probably the stupidest.
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
      Kids love been separated from their friends alright.
      "That's the kid that had to repeat second class"

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
        "That's the kid that had to repeat second class"
        exactly what I was thinking. Just stick them into transition year if you want you kid to leave school a year later. I dont get why you would hold your kid back a year.

Comment

Yea, your version of how you think their ego works is far more important than what is actually right for them

LOL Transition year and still going into college at 17.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            Yea, your version of how you think their ego works is far more important than what is actually right for them

You could do with actually backing your premise rather than rolling your eyes tbf

Comment

She would be 18?
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

With the added benefit of switching them off academically for at least a year too, couldn't imagine how boring repeating a year would be at that stage.

Comment

Ya transition year may be a bit of a break but lol harder at second class twice for no reason.

They will be 18 heading to college with transition year by my count also - 4 now + 8 primary + 6 secondary = 18

Comment

A year in primary is different to a year in secondary for aging?
                    airport, lol

Comment

I was held back by the stupid rules until I was 5, everybody throughout school seems like a small retard, class was too easy, was rather insufferable and I wish my parents had forced the issue.

Comment

In more pressing matters than the fact that strewel spent 2 years learning to count in 2nd class and still isn't great.

What is Issac Boss still doing around the Irish camp and looking like he might go ahead of Marmion?

Boss was a fine back up for Leinster 4 years+ ago but surely adds nothing to the squad except a slow pass. He is no where near as physical as he once was which was a lot less physical than any modern scrum halves anyway.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

It's well known when a Kid repeats a year they become a freak and an outcast in school society.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                              I was held back by the stupid rules until I was 5, everybody throughout school seems like a small retard, class was too easy, was rather insufferable and I wish my parents had forced the issue.
                              And look at how terribly that turned out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                What is Issac Boss still doing around the Irish camp and looking like he might go ahead of Marmion?

Boss was a fine back up for Leinster 4 years+ ago but surely adds nothing to the squad except a slow pass. He is no where near as physical as he once was which was a lot less physical than any modern scrum halves anyway.
                                god knows except Marmion is apparently deemed 'not ready' for Test rugby (it is a huge step up tbf). Agree that Boss is gone at the game.

What happened to that young scrumhalf (well he was) at Ulster? Marshall?

Comment

And look at how terribly that turned out for you.
                                  I can see what you mean about wanting to wait for developmental stages for children in general, some are not ready.
                                  I was always going to do well because I am a nerd but I could have done better, as many children could do if the processes are better. It was actually quite bad as I had no study ethic whatsoever as everything was too easy, that affects you when you reach a stage, a degree or masters, where you cant just remember everything with no work anymore and you don't even know what studying is!
                                  Actually did terribly in first and second year of university. This was quite bad for a guy in my college that had an eidetic memory, he knew the answers to everything but had no ability to work at all. Another problem is people are praised on results and not on effort. I put in no effort and that comes back to get you at some stage.
                                  It's effort that matters, and placing people wrongly affects how much effort or work they need to do.

People should be placed on capability as well as age, there should be tests imo.
                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 27-08-15, 11:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                    god knows except Marmion is apparently deemed 'not ready' for Test rugby (it is a huge step up tbf). Agree that Boss is gone at the game.

What happened to that young scrumhalf (well he was) at Ulster? Marshall?
                                    No idea what happened to Marshall just didnt get the game time I presume. Probably better using our tour slot for another option and just running with 2 scrum halves as risky as it is or I presume that Madigan can add scrum half to outhalf, first centre and full back to his cv.

Comment

No idea what happened to Marshall just didnt get the game time I presume. Probably better using our tour slot for another option and just running with 2 scrum halves as risky as it is or I presume that Madigan can add scrum half to outhalf, first centre and full back to his cv.
                                      cover for Moore and Healy would appear to be the major issue right now

and of course praying that Sexton doesn't have Bastareaud run into him in the first minute - my worst nightmares involve Paddy Jackson being summoned from the bench

Comment

Anyway, you may have noticed that I am semi-agreeing with you. The Unionist response has been predictable in its mock outrage as has the SF one in its disingenuousness.

The professional policeman in the middle of all these twats has my sympathy.

Sothern politicians with an election coming up? Of course they're going to seize the opportunity to give SF a kicking. SF after all have no compunction about kicking them.

Anyway it'll all settle down in a few weeks. There's way too many people getting handsomely rewarded out of the peace process for it not to. Including the sort of 'community activists' who killed McGuigan last week. All aboard the HMG's gravy train.

Boring amd predicatable on all sides.
                                        Hmm, don't agree with the 'ah sure there's an election forthcoming, so what if we give SF a "kicking"' perspective. Surely certain things, like a peace process that ensures Irish people aren't getting killed on a daily basis, are above petty party politics? If making statements that could destabilise power sharing in Northern Ireland in return for a few votes is considered acceptable by the main parties or their supporters may I say that I am very comfortable not giving any of FG / Labour / FF a preference on my ballot paper.

But yes, we seem to agree at core on the fact that this is all noise in the main and likely to blow over.

So the IRA dio not exist because Gerry Adams who was never in the IRA says it doesn't

But even you know and have admitted that Gerry has been bare faced lying about his role in the IRA and how its structures operated for over 30 years. But now he is playing it straight and everyione else is just ganging up on poor oul Gerry.
                                        And no one was shot dead or no one was intimidated and there is no organised crime being run by anyone associated with SinnFein / IRA or being operated under the flag of the IRA... So thats alright then its all a made up conspiracy.
                                        They don't exist in the sense of them being an organised active and armed paramilitary group ready to continue a terrorist campaign. Which is the only sense of their existence we should give a fuck about.

I don't think anyone is lying about the fact that the pre GFA IRA is dead. If they were recruiting / training / arming and systematically engaging in criminal activities Republicanism would be in breech of the GFA. Nothing of the sort was implied by the PSNI / Gardai though you could be fooled into thinking otherwise by the Independent the past few days.

And your last paragraph tallies with the expressed positions of the PSNI / Gardai, despite your sarcastic intent.
                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Youngest lad will be 5 on Sunday and will start school on Tuesday, he will rule his year with an iron fist

Comment

Does anyone know where I can watch match of the day from last week/weekly? Am never online for it and I miss it
                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

lol, this is great. any of you degens invited?

Comment

cover for Moore and Healy would appear to be the major issue right now

and of course praying that Sexton doesn't have Bastareaud run into him in the first minute - my worst nightmares involve Paddy Jackson being summoned from the bench
                                                Healy wont travel and wont be part of the squad. Before we were hoping he might squeeze back for the french game to send him in with no game time and see how he goes.

Now that the recovery looks like it is slower we can hardly do the same and hope that he makes it back in time for a semi final and throw him into that.

Massive loss and a huge pity for him to miss out in his prime.

Agree on praying for Sexton to stay fit.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                  Hmm, don't agree with the 'ah sure there's an election forthcoming, so what if we give SF a "kicking"' perspective. Surely certain things, like a peace process that ensures Irish people aren't getting killed on a daily basis, are above petty party politics? If making statements that could destabilise power sharing in Northern Ireland in return for a few votes is considered acceptable by the main parties or their supporters may I say that I am very comfortable not giving any of FG / Labour / FF a preference on my ballot paper.
                                                  This is pretty naive - SF has a past that is shady at the very kindest interpretation, of course their political opponents are going to play on that. It's a big boy's game.

As for making statements that could destabilise the peace process....SF aren't exactly virgins at that. "Hasn't gone away" anyone? Think that made Unionists feel safe and warm?

Both sides' victim complex, refusal to accept responsibility for their actions and tedious finger-pointing is, well, childish at this stage. The rest of the world, including London and Dublin, just doesn't give a fuck apart from offering a few soothing words when required. Oh, and paying for the whole thing of course.

Comment

Wife was convinced by local montessori that 3 and a half was too young and that 4 and a half was the age for the ecce. Starting school at 5 and a half too old?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                                      Wife was convinced by local montessori that 3 and a half was too young and that 4 and a half was the age for the ecce. Starting school at 5 and a half too old?
                                                      Yeah, will probably face a life of misery now. ul

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                        So it seems a bunch of prick committee men have conspired to force Billy Walsh out as High Performance Boxing coach. He's off to coach the U.S. Women's programme. Irish sport eh?
                                                        There's a good chance this is just a negotiating tactic from Walsh, a la O'Driscoll, O'Brien etc threatening to go to France. Hopefully he isn't backed into a corner and has to follow through like Sexton.

Comment

There is no perfect age to start school. The parents should know their child well enough to be able to determine whether they are ready or not.

For example, I started primary school a couple of days before my 4th birthday, skipped transition year and only turned 17 a few weeks before I started college. Outlier maybe but it all depends on the kid really.

Comment

Turkish dude in the 200m may be the most obvious looking juicer of all time.
                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

School tried to changed the entry criteria in May that kids would have to be 4 on 1 April in order to start in September.

A few parents, including us, threw a fit on the grounds that it was far too late to make this change and that we had already made career plans etc based on a Sept start. School backed down but will implement the policy for next year. She's the youngest in the class but well able for it.
                                                              Girls are a bit better but boys are hit or miss starting so young. I was lucky that my kids were born October, December and end of January. Each of them were 4 when they started but not that far from their 5th birthday.

Originally posted by Loopz View Post
                                                              Youngest lad will be 5 on Sunday and will start school on Tuesday, he will rule his year with an iron fist
                                                              That is a perfect age imo for a child starting school. My eldest who is 28th of January was one of the youngest in her class. Luckily she is doing great.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                                              I don't think it is too old. It does depend on the child though. I think they are not babies long and no need to rush them into the education system. Let them enjoy their childhood doing the silly things in life instead of being just turned 4 and finding it tough to sit on their backside in a class for 5 hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                                                                There is no perfect age to start school. The parents should know their child well enough to be able to determine whether they are ready or not.

For example, I started primary school a couple of days before my 4th birthday, skipped transition year and only turned 17 a few weeks before I started college. Outlier maybe but it all depends on the kid really.
                                                                Guy in my class was 16 when he started, could finally drink in 3rd year, I fear that that makes you miss out on a lot, maybe there is something to this age issue after all!

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                  Does anyone know where I can watch match of the day from last week/weekly? Am never online for it and I miss it

Comment

Guy in my class was 16 when he started, could finally drink in 3rd year, I fear that that makes you miss out on a lot, maybe there is something to this age issue after all!
                                                                    That was pretty much the only thing I regretted about starting college at 17.

That's hardly why SP is pushing to repeat 2nd class though is is?

Comment

Legend.
                                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

There is no perfect age to start school.
                                                                        This.
                                                                        The parents should know their child well enough to be able to determine whether they are ready or not.
                                                                        Should

The truth is that there will be a lot of 50 - 55 month old children starting school next week and a huge number of them will not even be properly toilet trained and will arrive to class with a soother in their pocket, more will never have held a book or a pencil in their hands and will never have had any socialisation with kids outside their family.

Comment

Legend.
                                                                          nps. That's a great site to bookmark to watch missed football across a load of leagues. Should catch most stuff on that.

Comment

delighted to see that I was wrong and now healy is expected back in time for the canada game.

We can atleast get a look at him before crunch time and hopefully he will be ok scrummaging. I presume Canada still have a massive pack and no backline so could be a decent test for him.

Comment

exactly what I was thinking. Just stick them into transition year if you want you kid to leave school a year later. I dont get why you would hold your kid back a year.
                                                                              I think I read of a bunch of research that shows kids who are born August/September or January/February for countries that begin the school year then do much better in terms of test scores than those who are born just before the cut-off. I guess SW's point is if it is best to keep Raoul kid back a year to mature or whatever might as well do it early.

But I don't remember where I saw this so might be talking crap. *shrug*

Comment

Comment

I was 3 starting primary school, turned 4 a couple of weeks into it. Mother was teaching there so they prop turned a blind eye to my youth! Also skipped transition year. Started in UCG at 17 and had a 4 year course wrapped up, fully employed in the real world by 20. Easy game Little one will be 5 before she starts though as she was born in May, probably for the best.
                                                                                  Last edited by NoRiverRequired; 27-08-15, 14:11.

Comment

Originally posted by NoRiverRequired View Post
                                                                                    I was 3 starting primary school, turned 4 a couple of weeks into it. Mother was teaching there so they prop turned a blind eye to my youth! Also skipped transition year. Started in UCG at 17 and had a 4 year course wrapped up, fully employed in the real world by 20. Easy game Little one will be 5 before she starts though as she was born in May, probably for the best.
                                                                                    My Brother in law was finished college and started teaching a primary school class when he was still 19

Cnut retired before 60

Comment

Know an army man fully retired at 39 after doing the minimum (22?) years; 65% pension.

Comment

fairly cool hand playing out live on the bubble of ept

edit:
                                                                                        meh! didn't get to showdown
                                                                                        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 27-08-15, 14:27.

Comment

Originally posted by cooker3 View Post
                                                                                          I think I read of a bunch of research that shows kids who are born August/September or January/February for countries that begin the school year then do much better in terms of test scores than those who are born just before the cut-off. I guess SW's point is if it is best to keep Raoul kid back a year to mature or whatever might as well do it early.

But I don't remember where I saw this so might be talking crap. *shrug*
                                                                                          sounds like it might make a difference in infants but after that not so much.

Apart from parents being super proud of their little Einstein it really dosnt matter so long as kids can read, write and do basic maths come 6th class. It is after first year that streaming begins and the guys I knew who were in pass level stream for junior cert mathsand who tryed to move to honours for LC really found it really tough

Comment

I was just 19 going into UCG back in the day and never repeated a class, though my secondary had a mandatory transition year - definitely think it was of great benefit to me to be a bit older than the average student.

Wasn't it Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers book that discusses this issue? That those entering the education system who are more mature than most of their peers end up outperforming - which is entirely self-obvious I guess. I imagine that the confidence that comes with being both bigger and more mature might then compound as each year goes by.

Or I could be entirely mistaken!

Comment

sounds like it might make a difference in infants but after that not so much.

Apart from parents being super proud of their little Einstein it really dosnt matter so long as kids can read, write and do basic maths come 6th class. It is after first year that streaming begins and the guys I knew who were in pass level stream for junior cert mathsand who tryed to move to honours for LC really found it really tough
                                                                                              You are actually reinforcing the point I'm trying to make with your second sentence.
                                                                                              The first part is just so far wrong it would be laughable if it wasn't what most people seem to believe.
                                                                                              Again you say 'So long as' ...
                                                                                              The point is that you need to learn to read, write and calculate proficiently in primary school, if you don't you will be left behind and struggling for all of secondary school, and pissing away a year in TY isn't going to help any.
                                                                                              The unfortunate truth is that too many kids are coming out of primary without the skills required for secondary and will lose out because of that.

I'm not saying that starting at four is the only reason for it but I am saying that more and better primary education is far more valuable than shite like TY.

Comment

X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

...
                                                                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I'm a m8
                                                                                                    You're a m8
                                                                                                    We're all m8s
                                                                                                    Cause m8s are gr8

I am bored.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                      holy shit!! hitting the world champion 100m sprinter with a a fucking segway.
                                                                                                      Talk about a bad day at the office, that's one dude without a job.
                                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                        I'm a m8
                                                                                                        You're a m8
                                                                                                        We're all m8s
                                                                                                        Cause m8s are gr8

I am bored.
                                                                                                        Make me an avatar m8. Will cure the boredom for a bit

Comment

You are actually reinforcing the point I'm trying to make with your second sentence.
                                                                                                          The first part is just so far wrong it would be laughable if it wasn't what most people seem to believe.
                                                                                                          Again you say 'So long as' ...
                                                                                                          The point is that you need to learn to read, write and calculate proficiently in primary school, if you don't you will be left behind and struggling for all of secondary school, and pissing away a year in TY isn't going to help any.
                                                                                                          The unfortunate truth is that too many kids are coming out of primary without the skills required for secondary and will lose out because of that.

I'm not saying that starting at four is the only reason for it but I am saying that more and better primary education is far more valuable than shite like TY.
                                                                                                          This was in relation to younger kids being at a disadvantage when they first enter but by the time they hit 6th class this disadvantage will have faded away.

Your crazy point about making a kid go back over the same information even if they have mastered it was nothing to do with it. If kids need to repeat a year why not but I am not a child psychologist but I thought challenging them was part of the process.

Either way not an argument childless me really cares about but as a youngster in my year I found no difficulties associated with being younger academically and there were bright kids and dumbs kids celebrating there birthdays throughout the year.

Comment

Google some of the terms on Tom's linkedin page. Think my brain tried to escape. It all makes sense now

Comment

Arsenal get Bayern
                                                                                                              Man U get PSV

FML!

Edit - Will settle for Olympiakos though!
                                                                                                              Last edited by Flushdraw; 27-08-15, 16:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                Arsenal get Bayern
                                                                                                                Man U get PSV

FML!

Edit - Will settle for Olympiakos though!
                                                                                                                Yis can concentrate on qualifying for the CL instead.

Comment

Yep

Comment

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
                                                                                                                    Yep
                                                                                                                    There's yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
                                                                                                                      Yep
                                                                                                                      Nice signature. I'll throw on a pretty auld dress sometime so you might actually try and make it factual .
                                                                                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Happy with that group. Should finish second at least. Just hopefully don't finish third!

Comment

Motd is available from torrents each week
                                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X