Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always wonder why people are so interested into getting into the BA side of things tbh. Doesn't appeal to me at all looking from the QA side of the coin.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
      Pretty much all the evidence is that increasing the cycling mode share is tremendously beneficial for the country. The issue is the gains are long term and a little harder to measure.
      Yeah, but if you're at 1.6% there is simply too far to go to make it a worthwhile resource / policy pursuit imo. You could increase cycling mode share by 400% over a decade (a tremendous achievement) and still end up with a fairly minimal relative impact.
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

This Donegal Galway game is like two teams who have no interest in winning. Poor game.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
          Not sure it's all been enacted but substantially in force AFAIK. Best of luck to him/her
          It's a step in the right direction. As long as legislation is defined we can operate within the boundries of such. An interesting development is the introduction of a class E fine for a section 27 offence:

So an underage punter may be fined up to €500 for setting up a gaming account and placing a bet. This has the potential to turn the tables in relation to compliance, KYC etc.
          Last edited by iSnow; 01-08-15, 18:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
            Either of the cash transfers imo, probably the unconditional numero uno.
            Nope, they are both more than 200 times worst than the most effective there, with each 100e spent on them giving less than 1/10th of a year more to a child in school.
            The most effective there gives 21 years more education per 100e. The second best gives 14 years.

This is why I love looking up effective analysis of things, it's often very counter intuitive.
            It's a big part of looking at activism in general or at effective charity and changes to national systems. And really fucks things over like "well this is how you would change things, it's so obvious!"

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
              Always wonder why people are so interested into getting into the BA side of things tbh. Doesn't appeal to me at all looking from the QA side of the coin.

also the hope to end this

Subscribe for more short comedy sketches & films: http://bit.ly/laurisb Buy Expert shirts & hoodies at https://laurisb.myshopify.com/ Funny business meeting ...
              Last edited by DeadParrot; 01-08-15, 18:28.
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

What does BA mean?
                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                    What does BA mean?
                    BA ain't mean

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                      Money, well...there's certainly a strata in QA and Dev that can get paid as well.

The expert stuff is somewhat understandable, but you just have to learn to make your case and leave it be I guess.

Comment

Ian McfuckingShane just got cast for GoT season 6!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          What does BA mean?
                          BA = Business Analyst. Essentially the translator between purely business and purely IT people, taking high level "we want to do XYZ" from business people and turning into something the IT teams can use to actually build what the business want.

Fascinating stuff. Well, no, not really actually.

Comment

For any astro/soccer players here. sports direct have a sale on. I got an email about it being Puma only but there's a few pairs of Adidas there too. I just got my new boots for the season for €35 reduced from €100. Picked up a PSV jersey while I was there. Sure why not.

Comment

[QUOTE=dobby;913332]For any astro/soccer players here. sports direct have a sale on. I got an email about it being Puma only but there's a few pairs of Adidas there too. I just got my new boots for the season for €35 reduced from €100. Picked up a PSV jersey while I was there. Sure why not.[/QUOT

When i see someone wearing a football jersey i think skanger.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                For any astro/soccer players here. sports direct have a sale on. I got an email about it being Puma only but there's a few pairs of Adidas there too. I just got my new boots for the season for €35 reduced from €100. Picked up a PSV jersey while I was there. Sure why not.
                                When I buy pizza I cook it then eat it cause I like pizza.

Comment

View of the Aurora Australis from the ISS

Comment

Anyone able to give me a rough idea what time Ronda Rousey is on tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by japeye View Post
                                      Disapointed that's not a new sitcom
                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Lots of fights tonight so it is hard to know. Somewhere between 5am and 6am depending on how the earlier fights go. Probably closer to 6am.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sickpuppy;913333]
                                          Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                          For any astro/soccer players here. sports direct have a sale on. I got an email about it being Puma only but there's a few pairs of Adidas there too. I just got my new boots for the season for €35 reduced from €100. Picked up a PSV jersey while I was there. Sure why not.[/QUOT

Good for you bro. Must be a nightmare watching sport for ya.

Comment

~5am
                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                              Ian McfuckingShane just got cast for GoT season 6!
                                              Is that Jaqen H'ghar as your avatar?

No likely Mcshane?

Comment

@CHD: Rousey to win?

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                  ~5am
                                                  Sweet. Getting up at 6 to head for Croker so may as well get up an hour earlier to watch that.

Rouse will surely do it in the 1st or 2nd round?

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                    So, introducing the second ash-tray seems to have had the desired effect. Though it's just typical that Rothmans went for the Silk Cut one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaBTemi9mQo
                                                    Meh, rang the dspca, and their offering was a loan of a trap, and reduced priced neutering. Sorry but I just couldn't be arsed. Come winter, I head out and arrive home in darkness, no way I'm keeping an eye on them.

Bought a couple of these bad boys

and they seem to have fucked right off. Felt like this

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

@CHD: Rousey to win?
                                                      Handily. There is always a punchers chance but Rousey will clinch, throw and then finish it with strikes or a submission pretty quickly probably. I hope not but this girl isn't up to much and Rouseys Judo makes her a Lion against Cats.

Comment

Cocksucking White Walkers
                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                          Handily. There is always a punchers chance but Rousey will clinch, throw and then finish it with strikes or a submission pretty quickly probably. I hope not but this girl isn't up to much and Rouseys Judo makes her a Lion against Cats.
                                                          Not think it's her toughest test to date? Not that that means much as the gap is still huge.

Comment

Jesus Christ, buying a used car is tilt inducing. Nice car in good shape = scraped (someone was bribed) through NCT and an absolute wreck. A couple of marks, usual wear and tear = attempted break in and about to fall apart.

I'll surely meet this guy next:

Uploading a you tube video is very much like making love to a beautiful woman....

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                              Not think it's her toughest test to date? Not that that means much as the gap is still huge.
                                                              No. She has never beaten anyone of note. She got this fight because she beat Rondas m8s who are lolbad, kept calling out Rousey, Brazil needed a headliner that would sell. Hype it up, you have UFC 190.

Zingano and Tate are the only two who could land that lucky game changer/finish against her. Holly Holm might be able to jab and dance around her to a decision and take a round or two but she isn't progressing as much as I thought she would. It's a pity Joanna Jedrzejczyk isn't a bigger woman, that's the only kind of style and skill level I see threatening Rousey.

Comment

Looks like BT have now snatched La Liga from Sky.

Sky launched a European Football channel last season and now only have Scottish and Dutch football for it. They throw in MLS too.

BT have CL, EL, Spanish, German, French and Portugese football.

Good old competition, will be great for the consumer...

Comment

Looks like BT have now snatched La Liga from Sky.

Sky launched a European Football channel last season and now only have Scottish and Dutch football for it. They throw in MLS too.

BT have CL, EL, Spanish, German, French and Portugese football.

Good old competition, will be great for the consumer...
                                                                  Yeah its shite isn't it,near 60 quid a month if you go for both. Just signed up to standard/BT for the standard 1 euro deal,1 euro first month but you pay normal price for mandatory second month. Not sure why I did,will only watch a handful of premium games and the 2 UFC ppvs.
                                                                  Need to join the 21st century and set up some sort of streaming box
                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 01-08-15, 21:48.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                    Yeah its shite isn't it,near 60 quid a month if you go for both. Just signed up for the standard 1 euro deal,1 euro first month but you pay normal price for mandatory second month. Not sure why I did,will only watch a handful of premium games and the 2 UFC pivs.
                                                                    Yeah, it is ridic. Might be more? If it isn't I'm sure it will be soon. BT prices should shoot up.

Comment

Times publishing stats today on Irish commuting, claiming that a mere 1.6% of all journeys are via cycling. If true, I would suggest any public policy / resource dedicated to improving cycling infrastructure, etc be shelved and the money diverted to public transport investment. The numbers are too small to be worth a government focus.
                                                                      Times is surprisingly anti-cycling over the last few years, from memory one of their senior contributors had a run-in with a bike and their editorial policy has been wholly negative since. Haven't read the article but '1.6% of all journeys' seems a nonsense metric to apply to cycling. At least narrow it down to journeys where cycling should be a theoretical option and then see what the %s are. So leave out bricklayers vans, 15k+ commutes, commercial deliveries etc. And see if we have a worthwhile percentage to build on.

Been some great improvements over the last few years, always heartening to see the huge volume of cyclists along the grand canal route at rush hour. Very hard to see it and say the money spent hasn't been worthwhile.
                                                                      Some negatives as well, yesterdays FPN introduction is quite sad - basically the authorities saying that they are going to harshly apply to cyclists a set of traffic regulations that only exist in the first place because of the presence of motorised traffic on our streets. So 'car supremacy' confirmed by the lawmakers.
                                                                      Would love if a cycling organisation in Dublin organised the protest that took place in SanFran this week where 100 cyclists went single file perfectly obeying every stop sign and red/amber light, didn't shoal or edge past white lines - it brought areas of the city to a standstill within minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                        Times is surprisingly anti-cycling over the last few years, from memory one of their senior contributors had a run-in with a bike and their editorial policy has been wholly negative since. Haven't read the article but '1.6% of all journeys' seems a nonsense metric to apply to cycling. At least narrow it down to journeys where cycling should be a theoretical option and then see what the %s are. So leave out bricklayers vans, 15k+ commutes, commercial deliveries etc. And see if we have a worthwhile percentage to build on.

Been some great improvements over the last few years, always heartening to see the huge volume of cyclists along the grand canal route at rush hour. Very hard to see it and say the money spent hasn't been worthwhile.
                                                                        Some negatives as well, yesterdays FPN introduction is quite sad - basically the authorities saying that they are going to harshly apply to cyclists a set of traffic regulations that only exist in the first place because of the presence of motorised traffic on our streets. So 'car supremacy' confirmed by the lawmakers.
                                                                        Would love if a cycling organisation in Dublin organised the protest that took place in SanFran this week where 100 cyclists went single file perfectly obeying every stop sign and red/amber light, didn't shoal or edge past white lines - it brought areas of the city to a standstill within minutes.
                                                                        But they seem to be a tiny minority of the people commuting in total, dwarfed by cars / people walking / packed rush hour public transport. That's where policy and resources needs to be focussed.

Comment

But they seem to be a tiny minority of the people commuting in total, dwarfed by cars / people walking / packed rush hour public transport. That's where policy and resources needs to be focussed.
                                                                          CSO say 5.9% of commuting to work journeys are by bicycle in Dublin, which blows your 1.6% figure clean out of the water. Is 5.9% not something to work with and consider a justifiable basis to increase spending? Clearly the IrishTimes 1.6% figure must have been arrived at by including Ballyshannon to Bundoran type commutes, but no-one is actually proposing spending any money on cycling infrastructure for such journeys - the money is generally on cycling projects in our largest urban areas.
                                                                          Also that 5.9% figure doesn't count anyone like me who part cycles on a DB before finishing the bulk of the commute on a bus as the cso only count primary mode, so the actual figure is likely higher.

Comment

For any of you sharpies, there's a nice wedge to be made facilitating cycling options on the planned national greenways. Your local LEO office will salivate over a well structured business plan. There are a myriad of grants available for such a venture..

Comment

CSO say 5.9% of commuting to work journeys are by bicycle in Dublin, which blows your 1.6% figure clean out of the water. Is 5.9% not something to work with and consider a justifiable basis to increase spending? Clearly the IrishTimes 1.6% figure must have been arrived at by including Ballyshannon to Bundoran type commutes, but no-one is actually proposing spending any money on cycling infrastructure for such journeys - the money is generally on cycling projects in our largest urban areas.
                                                                              Also that 5.9% figure doesn't count anyone like me who part cycles on a DB before finishing the bulk of the commute on a bus as the cso only count primary mode, so the actual figure is likely higher.
                                                                              It's 6 out of 100. Hence a 'tiny minority'. And if it's 5.9% in Dublin, the figures outside of Dublin must be infestimal when the national figure is 1.6%.

If there are limited resources, they should be focussed on improving the more dominant forms of transport, particularly public transport.

Comment

It's 6 out of 100. Hence a 'tiny minority'. And if it's 5.9% in Dublin, the figures outside of Dublin must be infestimal when the national figure is 1.6%.

If there are limited resources, they should be focussed on improving the more dominant forms of transport, particularly public transport.
                                                                                Problem is public transport costs a shit load of money where you can stick in a few cycle lanes for relatively cheap. Also, DCC Chief Executive is a huge advocate of cycling and improving mobility management this way so dublin city will be heading this way for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Yes, the figures are infinitesimal in many areas but again no-one is suggesting spending money in these areas, the money is to be spent in urban areas.
                                                                                  I don't see anything small about the 6% figure btw, to say that nothing more should be spent because the figure is only 6% seems like an anti-cycling bias. Notwithstanding that the actual figure is likely even higher because of the quirks in cso calculations and that they relate to the 2011 census which predates a lot of the urban cycling infrastructure.

How about 'bang for buck' calculations by the way - if cycling in Dublin is 6% and public transport is say 60% then its a simple enough comparision. And I suspect the public transport subsidy + apportioned cost of Luas construction is more than 10x that of yearly cycling spend?

Comment

What you at AJ m8

Comment

What you at AJ m8
                                                                                      Wrecked, did 5K run at silly o'clock Saturday morning, then had barbacue in afternoon/evening. Chillin watching 4 minute snippets of programmes I recorded (grrm interview, britain v bookies, trev mc donald mafia). On final half bottle of wine.
                                                                                      Hows chdworld?

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                        Yeah its shite isn't it,near 60 quid a month if you go for both. Just signed up to standard/BT for the standard 1 euro deal,1 euro first month but you pay normal price for mandatory second month. Not sure why I did,will only watch a handful of premium games and the 2 UFC ppvs.
                                                                                        I still have about 4 months left in a 12 months for €99 deal for setanta including BT. I doubt that'll happen again this year but it'd be nice.

Comment

Rousey will be after 6am at this rate. Might go bed and just watch the fight in a gif tomorrow.

Comment

Rousey will be after 6am at this rate. Might go bed and just watch the fight in a gif tomorrow.
                                                                                            heavy weights are good

Comment

heavy weights are good
                                                                                              This is true, try sleep after this one.

Comment

Express dedicated bus lanes which are marked with bright bollards. Prirorite at intersections. Luas style ticketing, no interaction with drivers. Three sets of doors on the buses, not stopping every 40 yards. .
                                                                                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                                  Express dedicated bus lanes which are marked with bright bollards. Prirorite at intersections. Luas style ticketing, no interaction with drivers. Three sets of doors on the buses, not stopping every 40 yards. .
                                                                                                  You ok m8

Comment

Selling out to the man? SIAD

Comment

You ok m8
                                                                                                      yea m8
                                                                                                      are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                                        yea m8
                                                                                                        are you?
                                                                                                        Pretty out of it on strong painkillers m8. Feel class and shit.

Comment

feeling class is class

Comment

it is tbf

Comment

Help me Ronda

Comment

SPOILER

fucking hell that is hilarious, I've had longer pisses

Comment

I had forgotten how shit it feels to get up this early.

Comment

Yup

Comment

Bit sad about La Liga going to BT. Enjoyed the no-fanfare setup on Sky and will miss Rob Palmer and Gerry Armstrong as commentators. Gerry wasn't technically very good, but it was like watching matches with a cheerful granddad.

Comment

Other half drank till 4am, poor fucker dying and now has to face this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfCWhkBfUE0&sns=fb
                                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Yes, the figures are infinitesimal in many areas but again no-one is suggesting spending money in these areas, the money is to be spent in urban areas.
                                                                                                                          I don't see anything small about the 6% figure btw, to say that nothing more should be spent because the figure is only 6% seems like an anti-cycling bias. Notwithstanding that the actual figure is likely even higher because of the quirks in cso calculations and that they relate to the 2011 census which predates a lot of the urban cycling infrastructure.

How about 'bang for buck' calculations by the way - if cycling in Dublin is 6% and public transport is say 60% then its a simple enough comparision. And I suspect the public transport subsidy + apportioned cost of Luas construction is more than 10x that of yearly cycling spend?
                                                                                                                          Cylcing has increased dramatically since 2011 all right.There are actually tonnes of people cycling when I am going to/from work. I think it's a rather large mistake to say well only x are cycling so we shouldn't fund it, well of course only x are cycling if there are no facilities and it's dangerous (people stop cycling because of this). On top of that you can't leave your bike anywhere it will just get stolen. I would never cycle to town but I want to. So the numbers are nonsense imo.

With the introduction of cars this is what happened in Amsterdam etc before they built facilities, as facilities got better it shot straight up to now 60-70%:

"The Dutch take this for granted; they even tend to believe these cycle-paths have existed since the beginning of time. But that is certainly not the case. There was a time, in the 1950s and 60s, when cyclists were under severe threat of being expelled from Dutch cities by the growing number of cars. Only thanks to fierce activism and a number of decisive events would Amsterdam succeed in becoming what it is, unquestionably, now: the bicycle capital of the world. Gradually, Dutch politicians became aware of the many advantages of cycling, and their transport policies shifted – maybe the car wasn’t the mode of transport of the future after all. In the 1980s, Dutch towns and cities began introducing measures to make their streets more cycle-friendly. Initially, their aims were far from ambitious; the idea was simply to keep cyclists on their bikes.

The Hague and Tilburg were the first to experiment with special cycle routes through the city. “The bicycle paths were bright red and very visible; this was something completely new,” says Godefrooij. “Cyclists would change their routes to use the paths. It certainly helped to keep people on their bikes, but in the end it turned out that one single bicycle route did not lead to an overall increase in cycling.”

Subsequently, the city of Delft constructed a whole network of cycle paths and it turned out that this did encourage more people to get on their bikes. One by one, other cities followed suit"
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 02-08-15, 09:53.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X