• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      heh.]
      Probably reasonable to scribble down 'no smile' when you're the boss of a bank that has been caught pants-down riding its customers (hardly his fault but still).

Are you still shilling PTSB btw?
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
        Don't think I've been in Holles Street ( other then the reception) since I was born. The Mater is the one that really freaks me out, it's like being on the set of 'The Elephant Man' only in live sepia, and not full black and white.
        The Mater is pretty surreal, all ours born there. Will always treasure the memory of some dressing gown-clad wan who was clearly just about to pop. She was stationed just outside the main entrance swilling down a can of Dutch Gold whilst smoking furiously. At 8am.

Comment

Comment

Nah, on the lookout for a small kleptocratic nation to represent now

Comment

Duffy vs Poirier to headline UFC Dublin.

So happy with that. Expect all the soul destroying comparisons to mc Gregor but fuck it. Poirier looking good after his last two fights, great match up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                Duffy vs Poirier to headline UFC Dublin.

So happy with that. Expect all the soul destroying comparisons to mc Gregor but fuck it. Poirier looking good after his last two fights, great match up.
                Great match up. I'd love if Nelson is on the card to got a top ten guy next and I hope Holohan gets Smoulka as rumoured. That would make a great card.

Comment

Bought my first bed today. 37 years old.

Went nutso (maybe) on the mattress. Heavily discounted to €900 (jaysus, €900. It seems like a lot of cash for a mattress). Has about a 1,000 pocket springs with memory foam moose. Feels rather spectacular. Although the process of picking a mattress seems a bit like Top Trumps. Some win on the number of pocket springs. Some have moose, latex fillings. Some promise different summer / winter experiences. But its hard to know what to weight most in the decision making.

Also tried a €400 mattress and it felt just about the same. So a bit confused by that, but assumed we weren't sophisticated enough to know the luxury we were experiencing on the more expensive one and shelled out the extra in the hope we'll eventually work it out.
                  The kitchen place I worked in sells mattress's and one thing I would avoid is memory foam due to heat. What I discovered was some of the 400 mattresses are just as good as the more expensive one. There were ones under 300 as well. The coolgel ones are the ones I would go for but they are only 900 anyway. You really paid over the odds for it tbh. I see the prices these get bought in and the mark up in massive. If you had liked the 400 you should have got it and kept the rest of the money for the arrival of the baby where it is needed too!

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                  Mint is now seeping from my pores, my clothes are even beginning to entwine with mojitos. I'm never doing all inclusive again. Fucking ridiculous what iv drank

[IMG][/IMG]
                  You know you don't ACTUALLY have to drink alcohol all the time with all inclusive, you can get other drinks lol. Your liver will need a months break after this haha

Comment

Comment

Comment

4% growth this year and next. That's rather boomy coming on top of the 5% last year. I'd say around next year things will start to really motor ahead as all the planning of this year and last comes into effect. Especially building because of the lead time. A somewhat sensible gov elected next year and things should be rather pleasant in the medium term.
                        Is there anything coming down the tracks that might have an easing effect on the rental market in Dublin?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                          Is there anything coming down the tracks that might have an easing effect on the rental market in Dublin?
                          Should already have started but there's certainly a lag from house prices to rental prices. Mortgage rules and the tightening of the squeeze on BTL property owners in arrears should see some change.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                            Should already have started but there's certainly a lag from house prices to rental prices. Mortgage rules and the tightening of the squeeze on BTL property owners should see some change.
                            Because of the CB rules?

Is the idea that house prices will come down a bit so people renting will be able to buy and reduce competition?

I guess if that's the idea then there will be a shortish term problem with people who were set to buy under the old rules not having quite the full deposit available under the new rules clogging it up for a while.

It's crazy looking at the sort of kip €1100-1200 a month gets you almost anywhere in the city. Even looking out to the likes of Leixlip and Maynooth the prices don't go down. A pro landlord was chatting to a mate of mine who told him if you're looking you should either live in Carlow or live in Ballsbridge, because the reduction in prices for moving out to the sticks is pathetic.

Comment

Kinda suspected that based on the store lady's face lighting up when we pointed to the mattress, but c'est la vie!
                              Did you collect it then and there? if not can you change it?

Comment

Because of the CB rules?

Is the idea that house prices will come down a bit so people renting will be able to buy and reduce competition?

I guess if that's the idea then there will be a shortish term problem with people who were set to buy under the old rules not having quite the full deposit available under the new rules clogging it up for a while.

It's crazy looking at the sort of kip €1100-1200 a month gets you almost anywhere in the city. Even looking out to the likes of Leixlip and Maynooth the prices don't go down. A pro landlord was chatting to a mate of mine who told him if you're looking you should either live in Carlow or live in Ballsbridge, because the reduction in prices for moving out to the sticks is pathetic.
                                I'm keeping an eye myself as am getting itchy feet, and there's not exactly a wealth of options where I'd be looking (Kilmainham, Inchicore, Kimmage kind of area).

A few positives of the CB rule change;

There should be some consolidation of households in the short term, friends/family who previously would have taken a 95% mortgage instead move in with other friends/family to share the bills etc whilst saving up for a proper deposit, freeing up some houses.

The steadying of the property market ought to allow people to assess their situation a bit better and so we might see some more stock come onto the market that people are trying to 'get out of' (investment properties). This is probably a small enough group again though.

Those who've been renting peacefully for some time have an opportunity to 'get onto the property ladder' [sic] Those who could afford to buy (now) instead of rent (but chose to rent in Bubble1 time) may make the move if the costs of renting become relative to buying increase much more.

There are negatives, especially the freezing/slowing down of mobility from Renters -> Buyers as you've pointed out. Not sure how to quantify it all though. I'm absolutely running on guesswork.

The BTL squeeze (mortgage holders not paying their mortgage), could also result in some consolidation of landlords, which should help in improving the quality stock (though not the amount of houses!).

Ultimately though, there is a supply issue that CB rules etc can't really do anything about. We need to get the lads out of NAMA and building houses again . A steady market wont see huge growth and thousands of buildings, but it should see less nonsensical building at the same time.

Currently, the Dublin rental market seems to have the following problems
                                • a lack of supply of stock (quantity)
                                • a problem with value of stock (quality)
                                • an abundance of demand for anything

Not really sure that any (growing) city has ever not had these issues though!

Anyway, thoughts over.

Comment

Supply and demand.
                                  Im in the same house 12 years 7 8 years ago looking for a tenantw as tough despite nice location big house parking garden and cheap.
                                  Three months ago same gaff room to rent despite having a child in the house had over 100 calls in 3 days head was melted with it.
                                  Dublin really needs to build up like most modern cities in the world.

Comment

I'm keeping an eye myself as am getting itchy feet, and there's not exactly a wealth of options where I'd be looking (Kilmainham, Inchicore, Kimmage kind of area).

There should be some consolidation of households in the short term, friends/family who previously would have taken a 95% mortgage instead move in with other friends/family to share the bills etc whilst saving up for a proper deposit, freeing up some houses.

The steadying of the property market ought to allow people to assess their situation a bit better and so we might see some more stock come onto the market that people are trying to 'get out of' (investment properties). This is probably a small enough group again though.

Those who've been renting peacefully for some time have an opportunity to 'get onto the property ladder' [sic] Those who could afford to buy (now) instead of rent (but chose to rent in Bubble1 time) may make the move if the costs of renting become relative to buying increase much more.

There are negatives, especially the freezing/slowing down of mobility from Renters -> Buyers as you've pointed out. Not sure how to quantify it all though. I'm absolutely running on guesswork.

The BTL squeeze (mortgage holders not paying their mortgage), could also result in some consolidation of landlords, which should help in improving the quality stock (though not the amount of houses!).

Ultimately though, there is a supply issue that CB rules etc can't really do anything about. We need to get the lads out of NAMA and building houses again . A steady market wont see huge growth and thousands of buildings, but it should see less nonsensical building at the same time.

Anyway, thoughts over.
                                    Welcome home.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I'm sure this will have an effect,whether it's good is another matter (it's not)
                                          http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0727/71755...ment-stanards/ (Dublin cc propose to reduce minimum apartment size by 20%)

Comment

Moving back somewhere emmet?
                                            more like this, open enough to something new popping up.

Comment

Think we're going to be buying in a year. 100% mortgages here as long as the monthly repayments are no more than a third of your net salary and you have a permanent job. Thinking of forking out maybe €200,000 for about €900 a month monthly repayments and supermodern appartment.
                                              What does a supermodern apartment look like?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                What does a supermodern apartment look like?
                                                WiFi kettles in every room

Comment

Comment

Comment

Anyway, thoughts over.
                                                      imo, there's a big problem with empty nesters in their 60s/70s/80s sitting in 4 and 5-bed houses in areas with good facilities while young families are shovelled into shoeboxes.

Need some kind of smart incentives here to encourage oldies to downsize.
                                                      Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 29-07-15, 12:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                        imo, there's a big problem with empty nesters in their 60s/70s/80s sitting in 4 and 5-bed houses in areas with good facilities while young families are shovelled into shoeboxes.

Need some kind of smart incentives here to encourage oldies to downsize.
                                                        Free unlimited illegal drugs for anyone 65+.

Definitely true though, my sister and her husband moved into my great-aunt's house when she passed away. The woman was extremely poor (tiny pension), except for a house that she couldn't bear to sell or the effort of finding somewhere else to move to.

I assume there are some insurance type organisations offering to 'take' houses in return for a reasonable annuity and relocation? If not, start it.
                                                        Last edited by Emmet; 29-07-15, 12:49.

Comment

Free unlimited illegal drugs for anyone 65+.

Definitely true though, my sister and her husband moved into my great-aunt's house when she passed away. The woman was extremely poor (tiny pension), except for a house that she couldn't bear to sell or the effort of finding somewhere else to move to.

I assume there are some insurance type organisations offering to buy houses in return for a reasonable annuity and relocation? If not, start it.
                                                          In France there is a thing called "VIAGER"whereby you sell your house you are living in to someone but retain the right to live in it until you die. You get the cash and they get the deeds.

In order to get the best price some fake illness, try and look incredibly feeble etc.

It's another way also to avoid your kids getting your property as inheritance and you get the cash and go and spend it before you croak.

it's surprisingly popular.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                            In France there is a thing called "VIAGER"whereby you sell your house you are living in to someone but retain the right to live in it until you die. You get the cash and they get the deeds.

In order to get the best price some fake illness, try and look incredibly feeble etc.

It's another way also to avoid your kids getting your property as inheritance and you get the cash and go and spend it before you croak.

Are there any Nicholas van Hoogstraten characters buying them up and hastening the exit of the owners?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                              Are there any Nicholas van Hoogstraten characters buying them up and hastening the exit of the owners?
                                                              maybe not so seedy but plenty of arsenic flying around at tea parties

Comment

England destroying Aus.
                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

Problem in Dublin is most of the apartments and houses are shite, other places I have looked at can be expensive like here and similar size wise but it's not got fucking patterned carpet and a 30 year old bathroom with crumbling walls.

I love the dutch studio apartments where all your bills etc are included, new buildings of hundreds of apartments keep being pumped out with underfloor heating, soundproofing, great views, good decor, keeps the student scum in one place etc. When you are picking somewhere to live it's likely you are just waiting for building to finish they are that new.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                    England destroying Aus.
                                                                    Clarke destroying Australia

What is he thinking of batting in these conditions.

Comment

Watched this HBO movie (?) it's roughly 40ish minutes long but got some great laughs out of it.

Subscribe to the HBO YouTube: http://itsh.bo/10qIqsj7 Days in Hell premieres July 11 on HBO.Connect with HBO OnlineFind HBO on Facebook: http://Facebook.com/...
                                                                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

An ArmaniJeanss article if I've ever seen one!

The Last Irish Soccer International From Every County In The Country

Comment

For those of you into cycling or fitness could do with picking your brain, for the last while when out cycling try to get out early in the morning and skip having something to eat before hand, gonna try and up my distance a little bit have generally been doing around 15ish miles but today I hit nearly 24, felt pretty decent getting home but what could I be doing to keep energy levels up while out on the bike? Only have 1 700ml bottle of water to do me have to figure out a way of getting a second bottle mounted to my bike, have one of the smaller frames which doesn't incorporate a second holder.

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

2 bananas.

Get yourself a cycling shirt with a pocket on your back.

Comment

That's absolutely class. Can only imagine some of the stories told. You just know in Ireland that auld bollixes would will themselves to live to 110 just to outlive the purchaser!

Comment

2 bananas.

Get yourself a cycling shirt with a pocket on your back.
                                                                                This is by far the easiest and most natural way.

There are various energy drinks, snack bars, etc you can get too.
                                                                                May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Where do you see pics of the people you're betting on supporting?

What do they eat like etc? Smokers? Any family history of heart disease etc?
                                                                                  Last edited by Emmet; 29-07-15, 14:32.

Comment

Gaaaaaatoraaaaaaade
                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Bought a CamelPak a few years back. Great for exercising or music festivals.

Comment

You can do that here too
                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

http://nice.viager-europe.com/en/ann...-var/357923653

i'm pretty sure you cannot investigate them in any "legal"manner, which makes for great head to head confrontations/negociations, where the auld ones put their poker face on!!

Comment

Australia 136 all out. Unbelievable.

Wouldn't like to have a ticket for Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                              For those of you into cycling or fitness could do with picking your brain, for the last while when out cycling try to get out early in the morning and skip having something to eat before hand, gonna try and up my distance a little bit have generally been doing around 15ish miles but today I hit nearly 24, felt pretty decent getting home but what could I be doing to keep energy levels up while out on the bike? Only have 1 700ml bottle of water to do me have to figure out a way of getting a second bottle mounted to my bike, have one of the smaller frames which doesn't incorporate a second holder.

Would ye not eat something small beforehand?
                                                                                              You could stick a litre bottle on there instead of 700ml.

Comment

Pint of lager and a big bowl of green olives in front of me, wonderful. Have no idea where my other half is. I reckon he got an early flight home. Knocked a mojito all over his phone last night

Never doing an all inc again. Iv no fucking restraint whatsoever lol
                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

http://nice.viager-europe.com/en/ann...-var/357923653

We could make an IPB event out of it, we all head to the south of France, buy up our villas, and then wait to see who wins. It'd be like an ultra Irish game of celebrity death pool.

Comment

A tontine it is then gentlemen.

Comment

Pint of lager and a big bowl of green olives in front of me, wonderful. Have no idea where my other half is. I reckon he got an early flight home. Knocked a mojito all over his phone last night

Never doing an all inc again. Iv no fucking restraint whatsoever lol
                                                                                                      I know you are prob exaggerating for comic effect, but it might actually be good to get out of the complex for a while, take a walk or drive somewhere nice, see a bit of whatever country you are in, visit a water park or a zoo or a volcano or something with the kids etc.

Comment

Sigh, just been given notice in my place, was paying peanuts for a place that was perfect location-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                          Sigh, just been given notice in my place, was paying peanuts for a place that was perfect location-wise.
                                                                                                          Should've been less of a dick to the letting agent

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                            I know you are prob exaggerating for comic effect, but it might actually be good to get out of the complex for a while, take a walk or drive somewhere nice, see a bit of whatever country you are in, visit a water park or a zoo or a volcano or something with the kids etc.
                                                                                                            Went to the beach today, had a cocktail. Stuck it for three hours came back here. Going to siam Park Sunday..

Fuck it ill get me monies worth out of this
                                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Should've been less of a dick to the letting agent
                                                                                                              He was the selling agent; that may have been a part in it, but I think it was inevitable anyway.

edit: it wasn't him that gave me notice!
                                                                                                              Last edited by Denny Crane; 29-07-15, 15:53.

Comment

Did they sell it then and the new person wants you out?
                                                                                                                They sold my place and I got to stay.

Negreanau you old dog

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                  Did they sell it then and the new person wants you out?
                                                                                                                  They sold my place and I got to stay.
                                                                                                                  It was sold about six months ago, and is being sold again. Seems odd that they can't offload to investors, has a decent yield and some section 23 left.

Comment

Went to the beach today, had a cocktail. Stuck it for three hours came back here. Going to siam Park Sunday..

Fuck it ill get me monies worth out of this
                                                                                                                    Is mia enjoying it? Is she away with the other half today?

Comment

How does this curse thing work?
                                                                                                                      Dublin have a job to do against Fermanagh this weekend. It’s not a difficult job and there’s no real doubt as to whether they’ll be fit for it or not. We can talk around it all we like but in the end we know that they’re going to beat Fermanagh

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                        Is mia enjoying it? Is she away with the other half today?
                                                                                                                        She's here with me in the pool, himself gone for his daily nap
                                                                                                                        She's having a great time, very kid friendly here .
                                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

She's here with me in the pool, himself gone for his daily nap
                                                                                                                          She's having a great time, very kid friendly here .
                                                                                                                          Mine love the.pool too

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X