X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ties earlier discussion together well!

Pearse Doherty congratulates Syriza on stunning election victory

Originally posted by Pearse Doherty
    I want to congratulate Mr Tsipras and his party on this stunning victory which will bring real change for the people of Greece and brings an opportunity for progressive change in Europe.
    Syriza has promised to renegotiate Greece’s debt if it wins the election and to call for a European Debt Conference which would be in Ireland’s interests also.
    (It looks to have been in fairness!)

If Enda Kenny and his government are not going to stand up for Irish citizens then they should remove themselves from office and allow the people to elect a new government that will.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
      Would you possibly have trouble getting into the states if you were in cuba the previous month?
      I doubt it. A few years ago I went to the States twice within a month of having been in Iran and having a half dozen Iranian visas stamped they never passed any remark. I often wondered if they were vetting me in the background or if just travelling to Axis of evil countries doesn't in itself raise a red flag

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
      The referendum being called might well be one of the stupidest things anyone has ever done in the history of politics.

It's not so much a double edged sword as a tiny knife on the front of a backwards facing bazooka.
      No less than three Sinn Fein front benchers described it as a 'Masterstroke' last weekend
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Tsipiras should be a historical footnote by the end of the summer.

Hold referendum, campaign for No (initial position)
        - win and you're out of the EZ. Greece is a new Zimbabwe.
        - lose and you have to resign from government. Obviously no-one will ever vote for you again.

Hold referendum, campaign for Yes
        - complete about-turn. Win and you stay in EZ but you have gone back on what you allegedly stand for. Resign.

Cancel referendum, accept package
        - you have capitulated. Resign.

All bad options. 2 and 3 are the ones that benefits Greece the most. Will Tsipiras have the balls to do the right thing?
        Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 01-07-15, 11:39.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Apparently his wife has also said that if he accepts the demands she will divorce him.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
            Hard to see Syriza lasting through this.
            Ah yeah they're gone. If they go ahead and somehow win a No vote, they'll either be forcibly removed by the military or else they lose the next GE.

lesson is not to elect populist idiots

Comment

Apparently his wife has also said that if he accepts the demands she will divorce him.
              Pics and we can make an informed call here

Comment

Comment

VOTE YES

imo

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    No less than three Sinn Fein front benchers described it as a 'Masterstroke' last weekend
                    If I was an intelligent, politically aware SF member, I'd be handing back my membership card. LLoyd said as much yesterday - the support for Syriza reveals a naivety that is shocking as much as it is dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      If I was an intelligent, politically aware SF member, I'd be handing back my membership card. LLoyd said as much yesterday - the support for Syriza reveals a naivety that is shocking as much as it is dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                        Oh you're fucked now.

Comment

You would have to be made of stone not to be laughing your ass off at this:

Before Alexis Tsipras has even made his much anticipated address to the nation - explaining the details of the proposal - the country’s communist party has described the deal as “the worst bailout” ever.

“They are shamefully fooling the Greek people. This proves that their “no” is in fact a “yes” to new loan accords that go against the people,” the party’s leader Dimitris Koutsoumbas railed in a statement. “We will cancel all of this,” he said referring to Sunday’s referendum. We will say no to the memoranda [bailout accords] , yes to resistance.”

The anti-capitalist bloc, Antarsya also issued a blistering attack on the government, saying whatever it was called the accord amounted to a third bailout that would further impoverish Greeks. ‘The negotiations of submission between the government and the troika have to stop now,” said the far left group adding that the time had come to break with the European Union and write off the country’s debt altogether.

“The no [that we will say] to the troika’s black proposal for a new heavier round of bailout pillaging, is at the same time a heavy no to the continuous proposals of a government that is continually accepting ever more hard-hitting bailout terms that in reality serve the supporters of yes.”

Comment

Let's not get carried away. They both have the same goal: debt forgiveness as an alternative to austerity or default. Any government placed into power in either country will be in exactly the same set of handcuffs and will have very few options. That's why SF support Syriza - so they can set a precedent and negotiate forgiveness for Ireland too.
                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                              Let's not get carried away. They both have the same goal: debt forgiveness as an alternative to austerity or default. Any government placed into power in either country will be in exactly the same set of handcuffs and will have very few options. That's why SF support Syriza - so they can set a precedent and negotiate forgiveness for Ireland too.
                              Good one Andy. Now that Syriza's economic policy has been shown up for the disaster it is, do you think SF should revise its policy towards them?

Comment

PP traders are under the impression that there's a general election in Greece on Sunday

Comment

CHD/UFC fans.

THE UFC confirmed today that poor ickle Jose Aldo got a boo boo and can't pow pow, forcing him to cancel the July 11th title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena with Conor McGregor. The scardy …

Comment

Good one Andy. Now that Syriza's economic policy has been shown up for the disaster it is, do you think SF should revise its policy towards them?
                                    I will of course bow to your superior knowledge, but I think the bolded bit has yet to be fully understood. They have only been in arrears for one day. The Greek people have had a taste of what conditions shortly after the new Drachma will look like and I'm certain they don't like it. It's certainly clear there won't be any forgiveness until they are really, really unable to pay, by which time they may as well go for the new Drachma anyway. Nevertheless, this is what they voted for.

As for SF, I don't think they understood what debt forgiveness entails - perhaps they thought Bob Geldof would hold a concert and everyone would agree it was for the best? Everyone is certainly better informed at this point, which is a good place to start.
                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I will of course bow to your superior knowledge, but I think the bolded bit has yet to be fully understood. They have only been in arrears for one day. The Greek people have had a taste of what conditions shortly after the new Drachma will look like and I'm certain they don't like it. It's certainly clear there won't be any forgiveness until they are really, really unable to pay, by which time they may as well go for the new Drachma anyway. Nevertheless, this is what they voted for.
                                      They're in a defaulter's club with Sudan, Somalia and Zimbabwe.
                                      They stand utterly isolated diplomatically within Europe.
                                      Their government doesn't know what it's doing from hour to hour.
                                      Investor confidence in Greece is gone, never to return.
                                      Their banks are closed, some potentially permanently.

No, I think I'm fairly confident in the bolded bit.

Comment

Oh you're fucked now.
                                        Although tongue in cheek with my remark, I more meant surely an intelligent, politically aware SF member would expect the support for Syriza and this would change nothing for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                          Although tongue in cheek with my remark, I more meant surely an intelligent, politically aware SF member would expect the support for Syriza and this would change nothing for them.
                                          He'll see straight through this.

My advice : run.

You don't want to end up like eagle eye and the others....

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                Andy, did you wear shorts to work?
                                                Yes. Total embarassment. Please point and laugh at me. I deserve it utterly.

Comment

Andy, did you wear shorts to work?
                                                  Some poor chap started in here today wearing a full suit and tie. #prayfortheintern
                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 01-07-15, 13:49.

Comment

sup
                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Comment

Tsiphillis making a speech to the nation later. Odds on it's to cancel the referendum and to accept the bailout.

Quite possible he will don a horsehead elite mask too.

Comment

Quite possible he will don a horsehead elite mask too.
                                                          This I would pay to see.

Comment

This I would pay to see.
                                                            Would actually be at the low end of the crazy scale.

Comment

Comment

There'd be a very odd but beautiful alignment of the whole debacle if Tsipras was addressing the nation to call for a Yes vote.

Comment

Might be best to just double-check it is Tspiras behind the mask and not just someone who bought the mask from a member

Too soon?
                                                                  Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 01-07-15, 14:34. Reason: Fuck you and your white text

Comment

Delusion

TSIPRAS SAYS CREDITORS SHIFTED BLACKMAIL FROM GOVT TO CITIZENS
                                                                    TSIPRAS SAYS EUROPE SHOULD GIVE TIME AND SPACE TO GREEKS
                                                                    TSIPRAS NOT BACKING DOWN, SAYS GREECE RECEIVED BETTER PROPOSALS FOR DEBT AFTER REFERENDUM CALL
                                                                    CALLS FOR `NO' VOTE IN JULY 5 REFERENDUM
                                                                    : 'NO' MEANS PRESSURE FOR A VIABLE DEAL W/DEBT RELIEF - MNI
                                                                    ''NO VOTE IS A CHOICE FOR A BETTER DEAL ON MONDAY
                                                                    IF POSITIVE DEVELOPMENT IN EUROGROUP WE WILL RESPO

Comment

Someone quote the comical ali post plz.

Comment

Comment

Personal guarantees aren't going to be worth many euros Alexis.

This is lunacy.

Comment

Comment

Tsipiras should be a historical footnote by the end of the summer.

Hold referendum, campaign for No (initial position)
                                                                              - win and you're out of the EZ. Greece is a new Zimbabwe.
                                                                              - lose and you have to resign from government. Obviously no-one will ever vote for you again.

Hold referendum, campaign for Yes
                                                                              - complete about-turn. Win and you stay in EZ but you have gone back on what you allegedly stand for. Resign.

Cancel referendum, accept package
                                                                              - you have capitulated. Resign.

All bad options. 2 and 3 are the ones that benefits Greece the most. Will Tsipiras have the balls to do the right thing?
                                                                              Option 1 so.

Comment

In his speech, Tsipras promised that "deposits will not be lost, pensions will not be lost", and appealed to the people to "open a bright new page of democracy, and certain hope for a better deal". He said he takes full responsibility of a solution.
                                                                                Originally posted by Tsipras
                                                                                I take full responsibility
                                                                                They'd best vote YES so...

Originally posted by @Hugodixon
                                                                                Tsipras wrong: if people vote NO, deposits will be lost - either through haircut or through devaluation

Comment

Option 1 so.
                                                                                  I guess merkel wins and either way won't ever see him again. Either she deals with someone more sensible or she never deals with anyone from Greece again.

no vote would be more interesting for history tho.

Comment

Will the euro exist in 2020, lol.

Comment

Tempted to get a pair of those half-trousers shorts. You know the kind? Not sure if they have a name. Can't seem to pull off regular shorts due to my legs being too sickly white and stick thin, but once the shorts go as far as the knees then its grand as the bit of the leg below the knees is rather fine for a casual observer to look at, and possibly even slightly titilating for the more impressionable of the fairer sex.
                                                                                      they're called bermudas and the plain (blue or beige) ones are totally accepted in France. Get yourself a pair or 2 of espadrille (10 euro at your local market), and people will be talking to you in French as if you were a native. (although the bright pink face might raise a small doubt in their minds).

Comment

Hoards of 40/50 year old people going around town in AC/DC shirts, profoundly pathetic get up for someone of that age.
                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Tempted to get a pair of those half-trousers shorts. You know the kind? Not sure if they have a name. Can't seem to pull off regular shorts due to my legs being too sickly white and stick thin, but once the shorts go as far as the knees then its grand as the bit of the leg below the knees is rather fine for a casual observer to look at, and possibly even slightly titilating for the more impressionable of the fairer sex.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                            Hoards of 40/50 year old people going around town in AC/DC shirts, profoundly pathetic get up for someone of that age.
                                                                                            GTFO

Comment

to provoke such emotion about something so trivial, is kinda sad.

like who gives a fuck

Comment

If ya can't head out to a music gig and look and act like an eejit where can ya do it. I'd imagine they don't care how they look. Or how you think they look.
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

some unsavoury team name last night in the woolshed quiz relating to people getting murdered in Tunisia, wondered if it were you sitch m8.
                                                                                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Sorry to butt in here but I'm just wondering is Paul Carr a legit good poker player?

Comment

That comment is a bit much?

Maybe they should be at home mowing the lawn or reading the paper in front of the fire instead?

Live and let live m8

Comment

Never mind the youngsters at the AC/DC gig

Happy 70th Birthday Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by welk_in View Post
                                                                                                          Sorry to butt in here but I'm just wondering is Paul Carr a legit good poker player?
                                                                                                          He once folded the 2n'd nut flush to my rancid bluff so he can't be that good

Comment

@RichieM and others who helped me before

Doing up a competency application form for a job. I want to say I worked for xx number of years in IT and moved to Admin seamlessly. I'd like to add about IT being 'polarised' in their area of work and now I have to look at organisational issues/objectives/etc. Any help on how to phrase this would be hugely appreciated. Probably need 5/6 lines but anything would really help.

Thanks in advance. not back online until 8am so not ignoring any questions that may arise.

Comment

It was lovely too see so many people having fun in their AC/DC shirts all excited about the gig.

Comment

I see our own loopy left are doing their bit for democracy by blocking politicians entering the Fail, hospitalising a female Garda in the process. Tremendous work.

Comment

Scum Fein showing off their style of democracy again tonight.

They haven't gone away you know

Comment

I see our own loopy left are doing their bit for democracy by blocking politicians entering the Fail, hospitalising a female Garda in the process. Tremendous work.
                                                                                                                    I prefer my take on it

Comment

What annoys me is why the Guards don't beat the living shit outta these eirigi cunce who crawl out of some scummy place and sit on the road for hours holding the city to ransom.

Bring out the water cannon and give them some free water to be getting on with.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X