This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
    What's my play here.. I applied for a job(career time) I think I'd really like in Betfair a month ago and got a call on Tuesday but was visiting a friend in hospital so missed it but they left a voicemail saying to call them back on xxxxxxx, recruitment team.

Rang back later that day and it went to voicemail and I left a message, rang back the next day at like 4pm and left another message and included my email address as well as number.
    Rang one more time under a friends phone(with the intention of hanging up if answered haha) and also went to voicemail - all different time calls.

Have not got a call or email since so what's my play?
    Forget about it. If they still wanted you, you'd be getting 5 calls a day.
    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

If I wanted to take a punt on a stock for interest, what's the easiest way to buy it? Stock noob here.
      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Opr
        Can anyone think of one other product that featured on Dragon's Den that went on to be a major success? I'm pretty sure that Levi Roots is the only one.
        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            But how does he do it?! Yeah, people who can network in a genuine way seem to just have that extra arsenal in the bank to help them progress or get things done.
            All about profile, similar to academia in some ways. The whole point of going to trade shows, conferences etc. One trip to London last year had someone walk down the plane on way over to talk to me on another passengers recommendation. Had another 2 approach me while waiting to board on the plane back. Some of them thinking, "X is v successful, if he is talking to him, then maybe i should be too"
            Helps to be interested in the subject at hand as well, tough to manufacture enthusiasm for something and keep that facade up all the time. Its in our nature to trade resources, share your skills and time in exchange for money or future usefullness.
            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                Can anyone think of one other product that featured on Dragon's Den that went on to be a major success? I'm pretty sure that Levi Roots is the only one.
                By featured I mean the Dragons actually invested. The Trunky and the Tangle Teezer don't count because the Dragons laughed them out of the place.

Comment

@hitch, not what you're asking but along a similar vein. A few of the local IT heads in Mullingar set up a group in linkedin a few months back. Its doing pretty well and some of the members have snagged jobs out of it. Even one of the members has recruited a fellow member based on meeting him there and a recommendation also. Its only a small thing, perhaps its working looking into running a similar one yourself. Bi-weekly meetings with different speakers and topics in a relaxed informal environment. Took a few weeks to get going but its snowballed and everyone realised that there's actually a lot IT people locally who'd never network otherwise.

Comment

Comment

But how does he do it?! Yeah, people who can network in a genuine way seem to just have that extra arsenal in the bank to help them progress or get things done.
                      He is constantly mailing, IM'ing, catching up on Linkedin, collaboration websites, lunching etc. Rarely does any actual work but maintains very high visibility.

It's a skill I lack and one I am coming to admire more and more. I used to think that just doing your job well was enough (and it worked well for me in my previous job) but it actually isn't, especially in bigger organisations.
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Seems all the most successful ones the dragons said no to.
                          There is an Irish vegan range that was on our version that has done well, is in all the supermarkets now.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                          He is constantly mailing, IM'ing, catching up on Linkedin, collaboration websites, lunching etc. Rarely does any actual work but maintains very high visibility.

It's a skill I lack and one I am coming to admire more and more. I used to think that just doing your job well was enough (and it worked well for me in my previous job) but it actually isn't, especially in bigger organisations.
                          My brother is pretty expert at this, can hardly walk through Dublin with him without us being stopped as somebody wants to talk to him. Doesn't do things like the net, tv etc, purely meeting people and networking. The real life version of what are you having for tea.

Wanted to get into a course where 13 people are accepted with something like a thousand applicants, made sure the people picking knew who he was and could out a name to a face, met them regarding something else by chance etc. In the course needless to say.

EDIT: also rather ridiculously impressed with my mother getting people to say yes. 2 year waiting list in hospital? One day later you are seeing the head of the department personally.
                          Walks into a shoe shop with a story, walks out with 150e regarding a purchase a year previously (no evidence of anything). We try to get a fee back from estate agents or universities or anything, flat out no. She contacts them and money is on the way.
                          It goes on and on, also haggles over every purchase and it always works to a ridiculous degree. How do this?!
                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 20-10-14, 10:49.

Comment

Sitting in a private room in the hospital watching The Morning Show with my missus.
                            She is booked in for an elective section this afternoon. I must say this is a very civilised way of giving birth.
                            If only we could get the full Sky package!

Comment

Comment

Think maybe it becomes more important as you aim for the higher slots in the work echelon - which is possibly the difference you are seeing now.

Personally, I've already mentally given myself the next level up in academia (well, if no-one else will...!), so am now trying to plan for the final step to professordom, but to angle for prof is a much bigger beast where having a large network is needed for being able to show you can rake in tonnes in money from grant agencies. Just shocked at the worrying lack of relevant people I know.
                                It's unfortunate there's no Haughey-like character around these days for you to hitch your wagon to!

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                  I'll take it that in this instance there's some kinda weird HBO v RTE thing going on here and it's not a perceived conflict...
                                  I've honestly never picked up on it
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Anyone done anything cool worth doing with a raspberry pi? Don't really use raspbmc as laptop stays plugged into telly most of the time
                                    airport, lol

Comment

Think I can run Google music on it straight into some speakers and control it with an app, may try that.
                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cuchulainn1 View Post
                                        Sitting in a private room in the hospital watching The Morning Show with my missus.
                                        She is booked in for an elective section this afternoon. I must say this is a very civilised way of giving birth.
                                        If only we could get the full Sky package!
                                        Too posh to push??

Congrats on the new arrival!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                          I've honestly never picked up on it
                                          That's because it doesn' happen

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                            Too posh to push??

Congrats on the new arrival!

The last one was an "emergency" section.
                                            I think the only emergency was that the doctor we had wanted a long weekend as it was on a Friday around noon.
                                            We have the same guy this time so we just went with the section as it was very easy the last time.
                                            She just gone to be prepped now so I've got a very odd looking gown and hat on.

edit: they took her away at the end of a rather interesting wood show which seemed to involve answering moderately difficult questions and getting coins for a game like you would see in Bundoran years ago where you drop the coins in a slot
                                            and push more out.
                                            Was enjoying that show.

Ah well time to go get a baby...
                                            Last edited by Cuchulainn1; 20-10-14, 13:27.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                              It is not personal preference, chef is muck.
                                              Go 'way with that feckin tan ketchup. Buy Irish, you cunt.
                                              Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

chef brown sauce is ambrosia. I keep them in business personally.

Comment

Anyone claiming Heinz do the best ketchup should be banned for trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                                                    Sometimes the tans do things right, like the addition of beans to the fry up.
                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Comment

lol guy takes a deal heads up in the Sunday Storm for less money than he's already guaranteed.

lol gotta love it when 2nd place agrees to take less than he's already guaranteed in a heads up deal PlayaPlz took it down with A9 vs AQ couple hands l

Comment

All ketchup is horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                            All ketchup is horrible.
                                                            You bastard.

Comment

All ketchup is horrible.
                                                              They should make a grey version for Sligo.

Comment

All ketchup is horrible.
                                                                You should be banned or at least given a stupid ketchup related name as punishment
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

All ketchup is horrible.
                                                                  It's not great but it makes bland food bearable when there's no other options. Garlic mayo ftw.

Comment

They should make a grey version for Sligo.
                                                                    Steady on, he's not our spokesperson
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                                                      lol guy takes a deal heads up in the Sunday Storm for less money than he's already guaranteed.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/61.../#post44984374
                                                                      Yeah, but at least he knew what he was getting that way.

Comment

Sometimes the tans do things right, like the addition of beans to the fry up.
                                                                        800 years of oppression, forgotten at the flick of a bean.

Comment

My former boss seemed to be fairly strong at networking. The main thing she said was it was all about making the connection. So whatever the event, a conference, party, chance meeting etc. she'd always get an email sent, connected on LinkedIn with that person after. She might never speak to them again, but ensuring they knew who she was was the aim.

Seemed like a lot of energy and bullshit to me, but obviously it seems to be a case of "that's just how the world works"

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                          I think the thread has had this conversation a few times. I always thought Heinz was just a watered down version of the far superior Chef ketchup but it seems to be a matter of personal preference between the two. I have though come across this lately which beats all in tomato ketchup range.

Opr
                                                                          I'd give this ketchup a spin just because of the Levi Roots brand. The Reggae Reggae sauce is pretty far and away best general condiment going. If I had to choose a one for all sauce, that'd be it without question.
                                                                          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Don't like their ketchup tbh. It's no 5starsauce

800 years of oppression, forgotten at the flick of a bean.
                                                                            DOD's latest single release from the highly acclaimed rap album "Lick My Love Spuds". Available Here: http://nostrilshorts.bandcamp.com/releases

Found I have 40e on william hill from 2 years ago, must degen this money away in a ridiculous means. They want to charge £3+ a month from inactivity, i'll show them activity!
                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 20-10-14, 15:08.

Comment

Salsa >>>>>>>>>> ketchup.

I don't like ketchup, mustard or brown sauce and I'm not overly fond of mayonnaise either. Vinegar also offends me too. Bbq sauce is ok in smallish doses. Proper relish is nice on the right thing.

Comment

...

Comment

Balsamic vinegar for the salad obviously. Malt vinegar On chips is rank
                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

I don't like ketchup, mustard or brown sauce and I'm not overly fond of mayonnaise either. Vinegar also offends me too. Bbq sauce is ok in smallish doses. Proper relish is nice on the right thing.
                                                                                    Fairly sure I've never had "brown sauce", don't feel like I'm missing out with a name like that though.

Comment

Balsamic vinegar for the salad obviously. Malt vinegar On chips is rank
                                                                                      I don't like most salad dressing either. Some nice salsa or maybe a bit of peri peri sauce for flavour if needed is good though. Once my current peri peri bottle is finished I'm onto the reggae reggae sauce I recently purchased but hadn't opened for things needing a kick and flavour.

Comment

gtfo honda

All brown sauces taste completely different. Can't really not like them in general. The nicest are Chef and surprisingly tescos (very fruity).
                                                                                        Fairly shit name all right.

Comment

Tipping Point. Might be able to catch the ending on 3player. Flashforward 15 years: 'Kid, before we blow out these candles, let me tell you about the amazing 20th October 2014. That was the day I first watched Tipping Point'. Best of luck to ye both!
                                                                                          Thanks will try to catch it again looked quite good!

Little girl 8lb7oz.
                                                                                          Was easy enough to be honest. I just waited for twenty minutes outside the theatre and then was brought in. Ten minutes later handed a baby.
                                                                                          Would deffo recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                            gtfo honda

All brown sauces taste completely different. Can't really not like them in general. The nicest are Chef and surprisingly tescos (very fruity).
                                                                                            Fairly shit name all right.
                                                                                            YR is the nut Brown sauce.
                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Its at times like this one really misses Rasta

Making your own ketchup is cheap easy and so much better than any of that sugary shite...except for HP brown which is great
                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Cuchulainn1 View Post
                                                                                                Thanks will try to catch it again looked quite good!

Little girl 8lb7oz.
                                                                                                Was easy enough to be honest. I just waited for twenty minutes outside the theatre and then was brought in. Ten minutes later handed a baby.
                                                                                                Would deffo recommend.
                                                                                                I was scanning down the thread and read this as a steak weight
                                                                                                Gratz
                                                                                                YR is the nut Brown sauce.
                                                                                                Who would be mad enough to argue with somebody that doesnt like vinegar on chips?!
                                                                                                There was a yr vs chef sauce thread on baords several thousand posts long.

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Making your own ketchup is cheap easy and so much better than any of that sugary shite...except for HP brown which is great
                                                                                                ketchups have essentially the same ingredients and are easy to make, its close to sweet and sour sauce, so easy and delicious to make.

Brown sauces vary hugely and will have different ingredients so don't grow your own.

Comment

Personally, I've already mentally given myself the next level up in academia (well, if no-one else will...!).
                                                                                                  Congrats
                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I've been facebook invited to "learn to code python"...bare in mind I was asked to teach it at the same event.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

If I was going to the trouble of making my own sauce I wouldn't waste my time on ketchup. Ketchup is for sausage sambos and the likes not for gourmet food, we want the sugary Shite at these times
                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Anyone done anything cool worth doing with a raspberry pi? Don't really use raspbmc as laptop stays plugged into telly most of the time
                                                                                                        literally limited by your imagination.
                                                                                                        Portable linux desktop
                                                                                                        Retro games console (snes, megadrive, nes, n64 etc)
                                                                                                        Download box (rss torrents, newsfeeds etc)
                                                                                                        Web Server
                                                                                                        robotics
                                                                                                        Live picture frame
                                                                                                        etc etc etc
                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                          literally limited by your imagination.
                                                                                                          Portable linux desktop
                                                                                                          Retro games console (snes, megadrive, nes, n64 etc)
                                                                                                          Download box (rss torrents, newsfeeds etc)
                                                                                                          Web Server
                                                                                                          robotics
                                                                                                          Live picture frame
                                                                                                          etc etc etc
                                                                                                          Yeah been searching on reddit since I posted that, need to get use out of it. You could literally have tonne of then running your house
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

You want to buy the actual stock, or you want to place a bet on the direction it will take?

Davy Select for buying stock. Main advantage of them is that you can call in to their office and they'll sort out any paperwork issues. There's slightly cheaper places e.g. IG Index (cheapest in Ireland, and newest entrant) but the documents needed are painful especially as they're online only.
                                                                                                            Thanks, the actual stock. I didn't realise there was the need for paperwork, seems a bit archaic in this day and age.

It would only be a couple of hundred quid. Likelihood they'd snigger as they fulfilled it?
                                                                                                            ftitctaj

You are a racist.
                                                                                                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

This too shall pass.

Comment

...

Comment

I don't like most salad dressing either. Some nice salsa or maybe a bit of peri peri sauce for flavour if needed is good though. Once my current peri peri bottle is finished I'm onto the reggae reggae sauce I recently purchased but hadn't opened for things needing a kick and flavour.
                                                                                                                  Basically you don't like condiments.

Comment

I think it's obvious what the elite should do for their xmas dinner
                                                                                                                    Liechtenstein rental scheme includes customised street signs, temporary currency and accommodation for 150

Comment

...

Comment

Just spent a few hours editing an article to target it at a financial futures journal. Quick glance there at the data section as hadn't read it properly in a while and see it was cash contracts we used. That's some fine work there Lou.

^^^ this story will be both hilarious and shameful in academic circles to the extent it might not be here
                                                                                                                        you're grand, you saved it with the Simpsons reference

fair use less than 15 seconds for publication www.whatport80.com
                                                                                                                        Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Bit late to the party but Gordon D'arcy was excellent y'day. Grossly underappreiciated in Ireland thanks to his more celebrated centre parter for the last decade. Actually had an argument as to who was a better centre, him, Rob Henderson or Kevin Maggs with two big rugby fans a few months ago. Bizarre.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X