Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the subject of ridiculous purchases, my holiday villa had a Sauna....I think I need one...They're surprisingly cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
      @Raoul: You were right about the boxes of wine. Not enjoyable. Think I've become a more demanding wine-o since my last trip to France.
      I was only thinking of your wellbeing tbf.

Already planning next year's raid. Loire valley is the current thinking.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Not a wine fan or force fed goose liver.
        Going to Rochelle in January connacht are playing probably via Nantes hire a car.

Comment

I've always wondered what the point of most spam was. Some of the recent messages into the IPB mail account:

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate? bdeeafedadbb
          Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful &amp it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me. ebfebcdekdda
          Thanks for this article. I might also like to say that it can end up being hard if you find yourself in school and merely starting out to create a long credit rating. There are many learners who are only trying to endure and have long or good credit history are often a difficult issue to have. edccdgkfkgbkddad

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
            Not a wine fan or force fed goose liver.
            Going to Rochelle in January connacht are playing probably via Nantes hire a car.
            Clermont in Dec for me this year. Munshterrrrrrrrr. Unfortunately they are shaping up badly so could be a hammering.

Best stadium I've ever been in. Replan and we'll go on the lash.

Comment

Can't say I know much about wine tbh.

My current criteria are:

1. Is it from Bordeaux?

2. Does it have a picture of a house on the bottle?

3. Is it more than €10?

Do you go over on the Oscar Wilde? Not sure I want to see it again for a loooong time.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Msn declares winter busto based on recent few days of warm weather.
                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    Yeah a sauna would be class. Reasonably easy to make one for the back garden? The father-in-law has one he made. Obv need to grow a decent birch tree to add a bit of flagellation goodness to the whole sauna experience.
                    Think a decent size one that they install for you is <3k so seems a better option than making one.

Comment

My current criteria are:

1. Is it from Bordeaux?

3. Is it more than €10?

Do you go over on the Oscar Wilde? Not sure I want to see it again for a loooong time.
                      If you answer no to the above, you are normal...if you answer yes...go direct to the wine thread, do not pass fine wines.
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

My current criteria are:

1. Is it from Bordeaux?

3. Is it more than €10?

Setting an arbitrary price point is silly. You'll get perfectly drinkable stuff for a fiver in most French supermarkets (that would set you back close to 15 here). Bordeaux is well.....Bordeaux. You can't afford the really good stuff (no-one can) and there is an ocean of crap trading off the appellation. The exception being white Bordeaux which represents great value.
                        You should try and broaden your sights: try some Rhone reds, some Alsatian rieslings, some Loire whites and reds.

Went on whatever the lolCork boat is. Seemed fine?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Setting an arbitrary price point is silly. You'll get perfectly drinkable stuff for a fiver in most French supermarkets (that would set you back close to 15 here). Bordeaux is well.....Bordeaux. You can't afford the really good stuff (no-one can) and there is an ocean of crap trading off the appellation. The exception being white Bordeaux which represents great value.
                            You should try and broaden your sights: try some Rhone reds, some Alsatian rieslings, some Loire whites and reds.

Went on whatever the lolCork boat is. Seemed fine?
                            I meant a tenner in Ireland, sorry. 5er in France seems about right. Bought a bottle of 2006 Lynch Bages here one time expecting great things but it was meh. Kinda put me off spending biggish money on wine.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                              Msn declares winter busto based on recent few days of warm weather.
                              we havent had a bad winter in yonks! summers have been awesome for a few years now too. fuck me im getting old when i am talking about this shit
                              Her sky-ness
                              © 5starpool

Comment

I meant a tenner in Ireland, sorry. 5er in France seems about right. Bought a bottle of 2006 Lynch Bages here one time expecting great things but it was meh. Kinda put me off spending biggish money on wine.
                                Someone telling me the other night the "Gran reserve" tag is such a scam,( they "store" some of itfor 4+ years) if its under 15, its factory wine. Plain and simple, double your price, from 8 to 15/16 and quadruple the value.

No issue paying 15 for a Bordeaux with a castle on the front...if it says the house of Mike, all the better.
                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Think a decent size one that they install for you is <3k so seems a better option than making one.
                                  Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                  Yeah a sauna would be class. Reasonably easy to make one for the back garden? The father-in-law has one he made. Obv need to grow a decent birch tree to add a bit of flagellation goodness to the whole sauna experience.
                                  Pros for outdoor sauna is a larger size and you could go for a more authentic wood burning one rather than an electric one.
                                  Con for outdoor is compared to cold countries is when you come out of the sauna to cool down you have horrible winter rain rather than cold crisp snow.

Indoor sauna would probably be smaller and electric. If the sauna is not sized correctly the heat when you pour the water on can be too harsh.

Smoother heat from wood saunas imo.

Disregard those infra red ones completely.

(Have promised the Finnish wife that when we buy a house we'll have a sauna)

Comment

Cobbled together a quick France TR for people to read over their morning coffee / evening Bordeaux. Just spewed words onto a page and haven't even read it, so make of it whatever you want!

Left Dublin last Friday 2 weeks bound for the Oscar Wilde to Roscoff with my family, a mate and his mrs and 10 months old daughter in convoy. Gave my daughter the tablet before we hit the motorway which was a mistake as she barfed everywhere before we passed through Wicklow. Great start. Hit Rosslare on schedule and got into our 5* cabin which is the only way to go with a family (actually the premium suite is but they were booked out). Sailing was fucking horrendous and my daughter was puking again before long and I wasn’t far behind her. 6 of the grimmest hours imaginable before I got asleep around 1 am and things calmed down.
                                    Next morning we drove to our overnight stopping destination of La Roche sur Yon which is 4 hours away. Everyone was fairly civil for this drive and the apartment my wife booked was perfectly fit for purpose. Highlight of the stopover was my mate walking into dominos, opening the fridge and taking out a coke all the while not realising that he’d walked into the ‘kitchen’. Cue much confusion from the Frenchies.

Next day was the four hour drive to Leon, down near Biarritz where we were spending week one. We had a big house booked on a campsite. Kids were much less agreeable on this trip and I was happy to get there and get out of the car after about 4 hours. I chuckled to myself about how I thought I might have been able to stop in St Emilion or Sauternes for a look around on the way.
                                    Trying to pay the tolls as a disaster with the wife in the back. Each time I had to stop, put it in park, roll down the passenger window, stretch across the X5 and try not to drop any of the monies. At one point I forgot to put it in park and my foot slipped of the break. I bumped the car in front but they didn’t even seem to notice/care, which was rather lucky!

The campsite was nice and the house was pleasant if a little rudimentary. The people in the southwest of France are about as nice as you’ll get anywhere in France. After a few days of not doing much we decided to go to San Sebastian. Initially it was just going to be me and my mate and my daughter but the womens thought they might miss out so it ended up being the full cohort. It was a disaster. Kids were cranky from the start so the mrs had to sit in the back leaving me to try and drive while listening to whinging and having to stretch out the passenger window to pay the FIVE tolls on the 120 km journey. We got lost on the way in despite having satnav and everyone nearly killed each other. Had a nice couple of hours in SS despite twitching eyebrows from the earlier stress. The gods of course decided to bat me around as a cat would a dead bird, and my son screamed all the way from SS to France in the car, with my daughter backing him up. I’m still not sure how I made it through the journey. Must be a resilient type.

My daughter turned into a total brat when she was lifted from her normal routine throwing shit, running away, refusing to get dressed etc. which added to the hassle. Going from seeing them after work and on weekends to all day every day for a fortnight made me appreciate the stay at home parents of the world. As a physicist, I’m certainly not cut out for it!

On Saturday we left the campsite bound for a villa in La Rochelle. I was all set to lose my mind in the car but the behaved like angels and despite the monotony of the journey it almost bordered on pleasant. The villa was class. Big heated pool, steam room, sauna, and nice décor with a big TV. Didn’t really venture too far from base for the week for obvious reasons. Took a look around La Rochelle which is a nice town (had been there 11 years previous) and went to the Aquarium which is excellent. Another day we went to Ile de Re which is an island off La Rochelle and seemingly is the ‘Hamptons of France’. Lovely place. First place we parked was really quaint. Walked around the tiny narrow streets near the central church for 15 minutes without seeing a single commercial premises. When we finally got to the commercial centre the one brasserie’s kitchen was closed for the afternoon obv. Oh, I forgot to mention that to get to Ile de Re you have to cross a toll bridge…the toll?....€16! LOL France.

Rather than drive all the way from La Rochelle to Roscoff in one day we bailed a day early and drove as far as Rennes to spend a night there which was fairly eventless. Next day we made the short hop to Roscoff which itself is a nice little town. Stopped into the main wine supermarket to stock up and the place was full of Irish people who were making a round trip from Rosslare just to stock up. One particularly tilting bunch were a wine club from Cork all wearing matching t-shirts.

We got the premium 2-room suite on the way back, or so we thought until we opened the door and found that it was one room which was no use as there were 4 of us and we wanted somewhere separate for the kids to sleep. Turns out that only 2 of the 3 premium suites are 2-room but Irish Ferries don’t state this on their website. Thankfully another suite contained a couple that were willing to swap with us, so we got a decent room for the way back. Think it’s the only way to make the Oscar Wilde tolerable tbh.

Got into my office on Monday and probably sat there for about 10 minutes basking in the silence before I even turned on my computer.

Cliffs: Holidays with small children aren’t really holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                      Pros for outdoor sauna is a larger size and you could go for a more authentic wood burning one rather than an electric one.
                                      Con for outdoor is compared to cold countries is when you come out of the sauna to cool down you have horrible winter rain rather than cold crisp snow.

Indoor sauna would probably be smaller and electric. If the sauna is not sized correctly the heat when you pour the water on can be too harsh.

Would it kill ya to throw up a few pics Mike...of the wife, not the sauna...

I missed her 2 years ago if i remember correctly ? ?
                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Clermont in Dec for me this year. Munshterrrrrrrrr. Unfortunately they are shaping up badly so could be a hammering.

Best stadium I've ever been in. Replan and we'll go on the lash.
                                        Ill have a word with my cohorts heard the atmosphere is electric all right.

Comment

Excellent article in The Slate about a recent freak chess performance with lots of historical colour mixed in.

Comment

Watching The Signal, think it was Danny that mentioned it ?

Only 20 mins in but liking it so far.
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                              Would it kill ya to throw up a few pics Mike...of the wife, not the sauna...

I missed her 2 years ago if i remember correctly ? ?

She was on maternity at the time I think. I'll get her to pass on the ribs pictures to Fabio.

Comment

Have an indoor one. Never use it apart from storing junk or coats. Need to be a sauna junkie right now to warrant investing in one.
                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                  Have an indoor one. Never use it apart from storing junk or coats. Need to be a sauna junkie right now to warrant investing in one.
                                                  Finnish people = Sauna junkies.

Comment

I have a question for the gym bunnies on here: exercising in the morning.

Did anyone go from an evening-based exercise regime to a morning one and how do you go about it? Think I tried to go for a run before breakfast once and nearly died, the thought of it horrifies me but it must be do-able.

Pros\cons (would ya not be collapsing into your lunch by midday?) plz

we are not talking gym sessions here as I detest gyms and all who sail in them, strictly running and cycling with the odd set of pushups\situps thrown in if I feel like it.
                                                    I go every lunch time so cant really say but people in work that go in the morning dont seem tired at all, seems quite refreshing really. I love it as a pick-me-up at lunch time, ebfore I started going at lunch I was falling asleep in the afternoon.

the pin landed on this bad boy, appears to have the requisite weight and heft

link me this bad boy

Comment

Easy stuff for the no vote then.

Comment

She was on maternity at the time I think. I'll get her to pass on the ribs pictures to Fabio.
                                                        Anyways....

Tell her i will see her next time...
                                                        Last edited by oleras; 18-09-14, 21:39.
                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                          Ill have a word with my cohorts heard the atmosphere is electric all right.
                                                          Uh-huh

Comment

All I took from your trip report is what I already knew zuutroy, that it's sheer madness going on holiday with small kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                              link me this bad boy
                                                              Got it on Amazon. Twelve of your British pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                All I took from your trip report is what I already knew zuutroy, that it's sheer madness going on holiday with small kids.
                                                                There must be a pool. Everything else is optional.

Comment

There must be a pool. Everything else is optional.
                                                                  Yeah they were mad for the pool.

Comment

Never been to France despite living in Holland for 3 years would have went to world cup
                                                                    1998 if we qualified.
                                                                    Have a few words from my junior cert.
                                                                    And my grandfather fought there 1917-1918 owed few pints for that.

Comment

Yeah they were mad for the pool.
                                                                      Tires the little shits out after about six hours. Obviously helps if you don't feed 'em.

Comment

apologies if I have missed a post about this;

Got email saying I have to move to Pokerstars UK

I take it it will make no real difference

Due to new regulations, all gaming services available to players in the United Kingdom must be licensed in the UK. As a result, all PokerStars players in the UK are required to download the PokerStars UK desktop client and/or mobile app to continue using the service. From 00:01 BST on October 1, you will need to move your account to PokerStars UK in order to continue playing.

Your log-in details, account balance and history will NOT be affected, and you will still be able to enjoy all PokerStars games with players from around the world. Click here to find out more.

Moving your account will be quick and straightforward, and you’ll be automatically prompted to do so when you log-in after September 30. Players using PokerStars Mobile will need to download the new UK-specific apps from the App Store or PokerStars Mobile site.

As a special thank you to our players, everyone who moves to PokerStars UK by October 5 will be able to play in our series of daily PokerStars UK Freerolls, with £5,000 added. Running every night from October 1-5 at 20:00 BST, each tournament has a £1,000 added prize pool. The sooner you move your account to PokerStars UK, the more freerolls you can play.

Comment

Final poll No 54% Yes 46% done by yougov.

Really surprised Sky News didn't do an exit poll.

Comment

Originally posted by NiceandcoolTrig View Post

There was never really any realistic chance it was going to be Yes.

Comment

YouGov saying 54-46 No. wp Denny, hotspur.

Swing a bit more plz. 57.01 to 42.99 would be ideal.

Comment

YouGov saying 54-46 No. wp Denny, hotspur.

Swing a bit more plz. 57.01 to 42.99 would be ideal.
                                                                                French trip and all in the wings !
                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Adam Boulton tilts me.

He's a buffoon, yougov poll isn't an exit poll. An exit poll is conducted at polling stations as voters leave rather than online.

Was brilliant when Alastair Campbell trolled him after last UK GE.

Adam Boulton stops short of fighting Alastair Campbell live on Sky News. Have I Got News for You material!10th May ~5:45PM

Comment

I fancied 57% actual No result.

The gym discussion and sauna discussion needs to be merged for RDIII's benefit as he seems to be under the delusion that gyms are for working out in. Hot tub, sauna, steam room, swimming pool, working out stuff in that order.

Also, although I'm sure you could change the habit with enough effort, the morning person night person phenomenon is a real thing. Incidentally if you are highly intelligent you're more likely to be a night person.

I used to have a dream of hitting the gym for a workout and swim at the crack of dawn and from there making it in from there to the Dublin Buddhist Centre for a meditation at 7:30. It was about on the same level as dreams of taking flight, and just slightly less likely than an eight figure Euromillions bink.

One thing's for sure I will definitely never be a chap who gets up on a dark, rainy, freezing Dublin for a run outdoors. I would rather die. And possibly kill.

Comment

This is bad on so many levels! 1m38 30 seconds too long too.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Small drift on BF back out. After having around 100k traded at 1.06 it has moved back to 1.11 in the last few minutes.

Opr

Comment

Just thinking back on this, crazy what a person remembers all the same, there was a girl called Ger, just pregnant at the time, ask does she know her please.

From reading up, memory's can be sketchy in ICU, as far as i was concerned, there was a nurse called Betty, from the Philippians who was trying to kill me, kept tugging at the wee tube when she passed and would force tabs down in my mouth...lol
                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Just thinking back on this, crazy what a person remembers all the same, there was a girl called Ger, just pregnant at the time, ask does she know her please.

From reading up, memory's can be sketchy in ICU, as far as i was concerned, there was a nurse called Betty, from the Philippians who was trying to kill me, kept tugging at the wee tube when she passed and would force tabs down in my mouth...lol
                                                                                            what section were they working? ger doesn't ring a bell. could Betty be from India not Philippines?

Comment

what section were they working? ger doesn't ring a bell. could Betty be from India not Philippines?
                                                                                              Yeah, maybe indian...was she sacked for cruelty...lol

I asked a girl down here who done a stint up there and Ger didn ring a bell for her either.

ICU they were all in, "ger" was from clare and was about 3/4 months preggers, blonde girl, really nice, i may have the name wrong.
                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Maybe I should buy a proper gentleman's hat while I'm at it although I'm not sure I have the balls to carry one off.
                                                                                                You'd look jaunty.

Adam Boulton tilts me.

He's a buffoon, yougov poll isn't an exit poll. An exit poll is conducted at polling stations as voters leave rather than online.

Was brilliant when Alastair Campbell trolled him after last UK GE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gkHwU4DRA8
                                                                                                Rustled him real good.
                                                                                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

I have a question for the gym bunnies on here: exercising in the morning.

Did anyone go from an evening-based exercise regime to a morning one and how do you go about it? Think I tried to go for a run before breakfast once and nearly died, the thought of it horrifies me but it must be do-able.

Pros\cons (would ya not be collapsing into your lunch by midday?) plz

we are not talking gym sessions here as I detest gyms and all who sail in them, strictly running and cycling with the odd set of pushups\situps thrown in if I feel like it.
                                                                                                  Go to bed very early for a week. Then start training early but don't overdo it. Continue to go to bed early. (22.00 at the latest unless you have a lecture and a toastmasters meeting!!)
                                                                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                    Go to bed very early for a week. Then start training early but don't overdo it. Continue to go to bed early. (22.00 at the latest unless you have a lecture and a toastmasters meeting!!)
                                                                                                    it depends on the individual's body, but 'forcing' yourself to go to bed early won't work for everyone. I'd start the light training in the morning first, and then naturally start getting to sleep at 22:00.

If you find you can get to sleep at 22:00 and have good restful sleep immediately, by all means do it.

I'm not a 9-5er so might be less relevant, but I'd usually get a workout done in a fasted state first thing every day (sometimes if I've an early lecture, I'll go to that first and then head to the gym). Personally I much prefer it to any sort of evening exercise regimes. There's plenty of pros and cons, but if you're worried about being tired in the afternoon, I'd say that's pretty much a non-entity. As others have said, you may find yourself heading to bed a bit earlier, but there won't be much of an afternoon/early evening slump as a result of morning exercise.
                                                                                                    Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

In bed by 22:00...easy for rich and the unemployed imo.

The Signal,
                                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                                      50mins in now and the smell of you are on another planet is rank.
                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Japanese game show:

Comment

How come the word "pulled" has become essential in marketing meats of late, whatever about pulled pork... it makes sense, but GFY chicken and beef trying to ride the bandwagon.
                                                                                                          Last edited by The Situation; 18-09-14, 23:38.
                                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                            How comes the word "pulled" has become essential in marketing meats of late, whatever about pulled pork... it makes sense, but GFY chicken and beef trying to ride the bandwagon.
                                                                                                            I literally said this an hour ago when I seen the kfc ad for pulled chicken!
                                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                              I literally said this an hour ago when I seen the kfc ad for pulled chicken!
                                                                                                              I'm saying this after wolfing a pulled beef sandwich but last week the exact same packet from my local butcher didn't have the word pulled on it, ridic scenes.
                                                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

In bed by 22:00...easy for rich and the unemployed imo.

The Signal,
                                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                                50mins in now and the smell of you are on another planet is rank.
                                                                                                                Ending.

SPOILER
                                                                                                                Oh such a fucking lazy ending for a half decent 80%
                                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

I'm saying this after wolfing a pulled beef sandwich but last week the exact same packet from my local butcher didn't have the word pulled on it, ridic scenes.
                                                                                                                  People are idiots, and it works I'd imagine
                                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Stop buying sandwiches from your butcher shop ?

And stop going to centra butchers selling sandwiches of pulled beef...me arse.
                                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

...like most people I was expecting a no in the Scottish vote...didn't have a bet,glad to see lads here winning, but would've loving to see a neck and neck result just for the crack...early days but it looks over already...I guess it was always gonna be extremely tough for the yes campaign to succeed...

...on a totally different note...just out of a 4.5 year relationship...in the last ten years I've been in 3 relationships totaling 9.5 years...strange how for the last year I've convinced myself that I want to be single and just have sex with no commitments...after finally ending it with my last girlfriend, met one girl and slept together after a week...none of us wanted anything serious so both just called it having fun...2 weeks since I've seen her, and I actually can't stop thinking about her, and not just for sex...
                                                                                                                      ...amazing how your mind gets used to having someone around...never figured I'd want any type of relationship again...still gonna give my tinder ago though...I wonder do stupid posts like this go for it against you when applying for night crew membership in Ipb...
                                                                                                                      ...Liam...

Comment

The posts are perfect for the night crew, the full stops however...

I'll speak with Lottie.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                                          ...like most people I was expecting a no in the Scottish vote...didn't have a bet,glad to see lads here winning, but would've loving to see a neck and neck result just for the crack...early days but it looks over already...I guess it was always gonna be extremely tough for the yes campaign to succeed...

...on a totally different note...just out of a 4.5 year relationship...in the last ten years I've been in 3 relationships totaling 9.5 years...strange how for the last year I've convinced myself that I want to be single and just have sex with no commitments...after finally ending it with my last girlfriend, met one girl and slept together after a week...none of us wanted anything serious so both just called it having fun...2 weeks since I've seen her, and I actually can't stop thinking about her, and not just for sex...
                                                                                                                          ...amazing how your mind gets used to having someone around...never figured I'd want any type of relationship again...still gonna give my tinder ago though...I wonder do stupid posts like this go for it against you when applying for night crew membership in Ipb...
                                                                                                                          ...Liam...
                                                                                                                          These kind of posts are strongly encouraged!!! What's with all the full stops though???
                                                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X