This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    although, and my last post on the matter, theres also no denying that these views are uncomfortably widely felt. so we'll have to find a way of fixing them in some sort of compromising way, as history tells us that people don't just randomly decide to give up views like this. which has all manner of implications for elections and power dynamics. far too many european countries ripped apart by extreme right wing parties holding the balance of power and we've the genesis of that here. i suspect we need politicians who are a bit more forgiving that we are, and willing to talk about some sort of middle ground! thats why they're paid the big bucks
    It's a question of degree. Human nature is to (a) fear change and (b), be wary of 'outsiders'.

Now in our modern world, we have societies changing at what is, in historical terms, breakneck pace. For many people, this then triggers the above feelings. I think it's perfectly normal for people to have these feelings - especially those who may not have been as exposed to multiculturalism, may not have travelled as much themselves, may not be as well educated etc. And so it's a process to try and help them overcome these feelings. I don't think anyone should be demonized for having these doubts and fears, or castigated as 'ignorant'. Such a reaction will typically only polarize.

What's absolutely unacceptable is those who seek to whip up these feelings to provoke extremism and violence. They're the ones to crack down on hard. Luckily, it's pretty much a crackpot fringe here in Ireland.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

What has stuck in my head after that podcast earlier is the certainty they feel around how reliable power laws of scaling will hold up for future iterations of models. Like, they seemed to be feeling there is certainty for not only GPT 5, but also near certainty for GPT 6 and beyond. My vague non-technical understanding is that the likes of Yann LeCunn doesn't think that scaling laws will keep up (and in general thats a big belief divider in the industry), while Sam and co seem to think that scaling can bring us all the way to AGI.

Actually got an eery sense from that podcast that its not that the models have slowed down in terms of capabilities at all, but rather that they want us to first get used to low level GPT models, like 4, just to habituate us before the big whack of the 'proper models'.
      An interesting theory around this difference is LeCunn says he doesn't have an inner monologue. That would obviously lead to him being much more visual, etc in how he learns and thinks. He has talked on podcasts about how he believes visual data is one of the key unlocks towards AGI. Humans are building these systems with their our subjective experience intertwined in how they think intelligence works. I am sure this leads to those people pursuing paths based on directions determined by what they believe because they can't imagine it working any other way.

I am sure Yann's understanding goes way deeper than this but its a fun theory.

Last edited by Opr; 29-04-24, 10:30.

Comment

Had planned on doing a few bits today (day off)
        instead lying down due to an AFIB episode ....haven't had one in about a month but that was 12 hours of it. Usually it's 1 to 3 hours. May as well play some poker!

(Expect rant later)

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Discover the Villa Necchi Campiglio. a FAI property in the center of Milan

https://maps.app.goo.gl/s4EUqsbGN9mJPyzy8 Serious Italian food probably need to book depending on time

https://maps.app.goo.gl/arxA4Awm2K2XeAv9A another good classic Italian restaurant​

Watch out for Marco D' on any menu will be a good sign
          We found a wonderful Puglian restaurant on our last day - this place here. I think it's the casual little sister of a big deal Michelin place.

Comment

Have three two day work trips coming up in London and got the bright idea to book lowbrow plays for the evening between the two days. Guys and Dolls booked for the first trip, Back to the Future - The Musical booked for the second trip, and pondering Hamilton for the third trip. The price for a single ticket is normally cheap as chips, but Hamilton is really quite expensive even on a Monday. Is it worth the big bucks? Is there another low level musical type thing thats worth considering?
            Les Miserables, nut musical theatre imo.
            Relatively cheap tickets normally available on the day.

Comment

You'd wonder why Leo quit - although you never know if these videos are real or not anymore!

Last edited by Dice75; 29-04-24, 12:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

I am reading Kara Swisher's new book, Burn Book, it is really interesting read which gives her no holds barred perspective on the different tech leaders through the last few decades. ​
                Worth the investment?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                  https://www.vivino.com/US/en/finca-l...9645?year=2016

€14.99 in Aldi at the moment. Bring a wheelbarrow imo.

Not a sniff of it in Aldi Rathmines and I think I got the last three bottles in Aldi Santry (unless there is more out back not on shelves yet)

Exactly how big is your wheelbarrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                    Worth the investment?
                    It is nothing deep or that memorable but is a very fun light and breezy read, I am about three quarters the way through and am really enjoying it. It is much funnier than I expected. The book is her essentially taking each tech titan in turn and ripping them to sheds both on a personal and professional level. The only one she seemed to like so far was Steve Jobs.

She says she was once asked why they kept letting her interview them and she says someone else described it as "Stockholm syndrome"

Comment

On the NTMK protests, once the protesters start shouting 'Peaceful protest' they needed to be baton charged and pepper sprayed. There is only one type of person that chants that and it's all for the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Not a sniff of it in Aldi Rathmines and I think I got the last three bottles in Aldi Santry (unless there is more out back not on shelves yet)

Exactly how big is your wheelbarrow?
                        Jesus you're traveling far and wide for it! We only got 6.....pretty sure she bought them in the Santry one.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Jesus you're traveling far and wide for it! We only got 6.....pretty sure she bought them in the Santry one.
                          The joys of living on the southside and working on the northside, each store is only a few minutes from either home or work.

Comment

any london hotel recommendations for a weekend trip. Everything is a pay through the nose job so would like to know im getting best for the £.

Comment

I know someone well who is heavily involved with Sinn Fein in Tipperary. I saw him at the weekend and interestingly he told me that immigration has been a non-topic when they have been canvassing recently. I think he said it was only brought up at two doors out of hundreds.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post
                                any london hotel recommendations for a weekend trip. Everything is a pay through the nose job so would like to know im getting best for the £.

It's 5 years ago sine I was last in London but we stayed in Sea Containers Hotel on South Bank. At the time, if was good value and a nice hotel. ATF also recently reviewed their bar, the Lyaness which is very good for cocktails.

This was pre Covid so I assume prices have gone up a good bit!​

Comment

Whereabouts do you want to be stationed? I can definitely tell you a lot of places not to stay.

This the scariest hotel room I've ever entered after a bottle of wine. Didn't realise I'd be sharing.

Comment

It's 5 years ago sine I was last in London but we stayed in Sea Containers Hotel on South Bank. At the time, if was good value and a nice hotel. ATF also recently reviewed their bar, the Lyaness which is very good for cocktails.

This was pre Covid so I assume prices have gone up a good bit!​
                                    Stayed there more recently (weekend of the queen's funeral, although not by design ). The rooftop cocktail bar is fun, breakfast is good, great location for south bank. Rooms are only OK.

Comment

Quite liked this spot.
                                      Didn't break the bank, beside the tube and close to everything
                                      Moments from Hyde Park and short hop to Central London, you can find 4-star Novotel London Paddington with new ALLSAFE measures in place. Book your room now!

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I've fully given up on quality hotel rooms as it's always worse quality than what a standard bedroom at home has, no matter what they claim. So I just go for clean now. With that in mind, recently booked a few separate stays in easyHotel in Shoreditch for pennies. All about the value and simplicity, no nonsense about an 'experience'.
                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Novotel as per DP is another great straight down the line brand.

Citizen M then for a step up, but without costing much.

Comment

You can try it here - chat.lmsys.org​

Select, Direct Chat tab on the top menu and then select gpt2-chatbot from the drop down menu. Limited to 8 queries.

Comment

thanks all.

Comment

It's been a few years since I used it but this place was always great value for money

Welcome to The Capital Hotel, Apartments & Townhouse OFFICIAL WEBSITE! Our boutique hotel offers exclusive hotel apartments and suites in Knightsbridge, London.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

50 today.

Still have own hair, teeth.

Comment

I have a who’s who of where not to stay of late.

avoid
                                                    Great Northern London
                                                    Tower at Knightsbridge
                                                    Marriot Marble Arch is ok

The one place I do like is the Haymarket hotel

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                      50 today.

Happy 50th El Raoulman.

Zagreb report when i get a chance. Short story. GREAT SPOT

Comment

50 today.

Fresh looking 50
                                                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Fresh looking 50
                                                          It's all the clean living.

Comment

50 today.

Happy Birthday!

Comment

Bordeaux 2023 En Primeur's starting to be drip released for anybody that is interested.

Comment

Bordeaux 2023 En Primeur's starting to be drip released for anybody that is interested.
                                                                Any idea about when the 2019 Meerlust will be out? Been checking O Briens but no show so far. Or did I just miss it

Comment

Good day to have a big row with the boss (not the real boss, but the one I work with )

Comment

Going to London soon too, 8 nights right beside hyde park for £700, airbnb still the best for me. Basic as anything but nicer than apartments in Dubdlin and can cancel for free at any time, even during your stay and get the rest back.

Comment

Good day to have a big row with the boss (not the real boss, but the one I work with )
                                                                      CV being polished up?

Comment

Congrats Raoul!

You might only be half-way through your life if the medical tech can keep up, which is fascinating in terms of how much attention we place on the first half and how little the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                          You can try it here - chat.lmsys.org​

Select, Direct Chat tab on the top menu and then select gpt2-chatbot from the drop down menu. Limited to 8 queries.

oh thats really cool!

Comment

Congrats Raoul!

You might only be half-way through your life if the medical tech can keep up, which is fascinating in terms of how much attention we place on the first half and how little the second half.
                                                                            Well, it definitely feels more monumental than my 40th, which I basically ignored.

There's no doubt that most of your life is behind you at this age. I haven't really thought about it much but should really spend some time to be retrospective. Although apparently happiness peaks in your late fifties so bring it on.

Strewel is my role model.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

CV being polished up?
                                                                              his, hopefully.

Comment

We call this the Victor Meldrew years . Look at those figures , I dooooon't believe it.

Comment

Comment

For ref.

Clive Dunne was 48 in Dads Army.
                                                                                    Wilfred Bramell was 48 when he started playing Steptoe .

welcome to codgerville Raoul

Comment

Thats really going to destroy his reputation.

Skeletons missing their hands and feet, including one of a baby, have been discovered beneath the former home of Nazi commander Hermann Goering.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                        For ref.

Clive Dunne was 48 in Dads Army.
                                                                                        Wilfred Bramell was 48 when he started playing Steptoe .

welcome to codgerville Raoul
                                                                                        I keep telling you that Strewel is my north star.

Sure he's 100 if he's a day and he's still gallivanting around like a young fella.

Comment

I keep telling you that Strewel is my north star.

Sure he's 100 if he's a day and he's still gallivanting around like a young fella.
                                                                                          I knew it was him. Edward Carson. Always go with your gut.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Any idea about when the 2019 Meerlust will be out? Been checking O Briens but no show so far. Or did I just miss it

Think it was the Duke who advised that they don't make a Meerlust Rubicon every year, depends on the quality of the grapes and 2019 was a year that they didn't release one. There is a 2020, haven't noticed it in the shops yet but it is on the O'Briens website.

Comment

I'd appreciate people's thoughts here please.

In mid June, the 3 years of hosting that were paid for last time expires. The options are: 1. Renew current package. This is expensive, the decent priced deal last time not on offer this time. So far. 2. Downgrade current package with current host. Probably some DNS (multiple versions of the site) issues, will still be more

Comment

Think it was the Duke who advised that they don't make a Meerlust Rubicon every year, depends on the quality of the grapes and 2019 was a year that they didn't release one. There is a 2020, haven't noticed it in the shops yet but it is on the O'Briens website.
                                                                                                Lovely. Good to know. 2020 it is so. Ty to you and the duke

Comment

Surprising lack of AI in those options Dom.

Comment

Couple of bottles ordered! Googled it after reading the above exchange and jaysus it sounds wonderful.
                                                                                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

What do you make of your beloved Ipswich's run for promotion?
                                                                                                      Feeling good about it now.

Comment

Feeling good about it now.
                                                                                                        I was only thinking about that earlier!
                                                                                                        Nice of them to basically do it on the day that's in it for you
                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

Couple of bottles ordered! Googled it after reading the above exchange and jaysus it sounds wonderful.
                                                                                                          You're in for a treat. I asked Lao about it a few years ago. Wanted a bottle to keep for when I got my degree and he recommended that one. So drank the 2016 to celebrate that last year and have a 2017 and 2018 here on the shelf. We don't drink much so nice to have an inexpensive "good wine" for a special occasion.

2020 bottle on the way here too.

Comment

Cojones

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

[QUOTE=Micknail;n1747849]Movies for April:

[

Don't know where you are, but for peeps that like movies I highly recommend https://www.omniplex.ie/cinema/dublin-rathmines €15 a month to get to see any new movie once. And even the tiny (25 seat} screen 9 has sound like no-one has at home.
                                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Just reading this today, we may need to bail them out

In the second part of db's analysis of the upcoming en primeur campaign, db's Bordeaux correspondent Colin Hay's ponders how we got to this point, and asks whether a 35% reduction in price will be enough to recalibrate en primeur?

Comment

Dinner in this Uighur place today. Very nice vibe to the place. Interesting, but not outstanding food. Suspect its worth another visit though. The staff were amazing tbh - almost a palpable sense of them of them wanting you to like their food because it meant something to them, even though they were really busy even on a Tuesday.

Comment

I went to a Japanese Italian fusion the other evening.

Starter was Marinara Dumplings. We also had some Tuna Tartare with miso sauce and gnocchi.

Our main course was a Pork Tonkatsu Curry Carbonara, and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. Japanese curry sauce is the same as the curry sauce we get in the chippers at home, mixed with some breaded pork, tagiatelle and carbonara... it was incredible.

Strange mash up but it all worked.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                                      I went to a Japanese Italian fusion the other evening.

Starter was Marinara Dumplings. We also had some Tuna Tartare with miso sauce and gnocchi.

Our main course was a Pork Tonkatsu Curry Carbonara, and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. Japanese curry sauce is the same as the curry sauce we get in the chippers at home, mixed with some breaded pork, tagiatelle and carbonara... it was incredible.

Strange mash up but it all worked.

Well Steve, how's tricks?

Japanese and Italian are probably my favourites so this is well up my street. Sounds like you never had katsu curry before. It's unreal and you get jars/packets of it in asian supermarkets if you want to give it a spin. Basically, a chicken schnitzel, dump the sauce on it and have some unseasoned sushi rice. Proper simple comfort food and delicious.

Comment

Been underground for a while. Changed jobs, bought a 2yo EV (love it), still shite at golf, went to Naples a couple of weeks back. Pompeii and food were unreal.

What have I missed here in the last few months?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X