Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My most recent pet peeve on the roads are people who don’t know what yellow boxes are for. Clowns.

Comment

Just about to delve into the comments on this one

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post

you know that was an April fools yea?
        Yeeeeeeeesss ..ha ha ..of course... hmmm

Comment

This is an extremely interesting piece.

The new science of death: ‘There’s something happening in the brain that makes no sense’ | Death and dying | The Guardian

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Just about to delve into the comments on this one

Apparently the FB post has now been deleted because one of his mates confirmed the kid had fallen off his skateboard

Comment

Movies I watched in March

SPOILER

Good: French connection, The Sting, 21 bridges, The Beast of War, Sicario, Source Code.

Bad: Asteroid city was a steaming pile of doodoo. Bees make honey was an attempt at making a 1940s Guy Ritchie movie.
              Runaway train was laughable for something written by Kurosawa.

The double bill of Michael Mann movies rounded off the month nicely.
              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Good: French connection, The Sting, 21 bridges, The Beast of War, Sicario, Source Code.

Bad: Asteroid city was a steaming pile of doodoo. Bees make honey was an attempt at making a 1940s Guy Ritchie movie.

Feel like there's probably a fair distance between what Kurosawa had in mind when he wrote it compared to what the Cannon group came up with.

Love Thief, was what introduced me to Tangerine Dream

Comment

SPOILER

Excellent project, even if you are choosing a high proportion of middling to dross.
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Apparently the FB post has now been deleted because one of his mates confirmed the kid had fallen off his skateboard
                    Scary the ignorance and stupidity of people out there, and there are so many of them.

What sort of stupid cunt can't spell 'a' correctly?

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Scary the ignorance and stupidity of people out there, and there are so many of them.

What sort of stupid cunt can't spell 'a' correctly?
                      The classic is think of how stupid you think the average voter is. 50% of people are dumber than that.

Comment

Thanks to Dice for shipping me my 10% freeroll of his IO score. WP.

Must blow this in some suitable manner.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Some lol the teachers complaining about incremental credits while off in Dubai making tax free $$$. GFY imo.
                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                            Some lol the teachers complaining about incremental credits while off in Dubai making tax free $$$. GFY imo.
                            Had only read the headline, the article didn't alter my GFY entitled gobshite initial thought https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...514775658.html
                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

SPOILER

The Sting my single favourite film. Glad to see it got the "Good" verdict (although it remains to be seen what other accolades it could have been granted!)

Comment

I don't see an issue with this - they've more experience as a teacher, surely that should be reflected in their salary once they're back teaching in Ireland?

Comment

Interesting article on the financial cost of reunification today.

€20bn p.a. for 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

€20bn p.a. for 20 years.
                                    You're OK, thanks lads.

Comment

€20bn p.a. for 20 years.
                                      Half of which was based on bringing NI social welfare payments to ROI levels, so a fair bit of wiggle room it would have to be said… No assumptions on higher productivity for NI being outside the UK, higher competitiveness for ROI companies by employing cheaper labour in the North rising both tides etc and explaining economic growth.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Half of which was based on bringing NI social welfare payments to ROI levels, so a fair bit of wiggle room it would have to be said…
                                        I don't think there's any wiggle room there at all? Surely social welfare, PS salaries would have to be the same on all-Ireland basis?

No assumptions on higher productivity for NI being outside the UK, higher competitiveness for ROI companies by employing cheaper labour in the North rising both tides etc and explaining economic growth.
                                        Good questions (I have no intention of reading an ESRI report so don't know the answers). Although I keep looking back to the other European example of reunification (Germany) and seeing how the costs there continue to mount even today....

Comment

Think any re-unification vote would fail miserably on both sides of the island. I can think of little good rationale for it barring romantic ones.

Comment

Binged watched Constellation last night with the Mrs.
                                            Up until 5am watching it, it's really good
                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                              Think any re-unification vote would fail miserably on both sides of the island. I can think of little good rationale for it barring romantic ones.
                                              Depends on where you live in the island, anyone down South probably limited impact, but if you’ve lived in a border region you would certainly see some benefits in terms of job opportunities, housing, access to healthcare, population efficiencies. One example, we have a mediocre hospital in Letterkenny, and a reasonable good one in Altnagalvin, combining them would be better outcomes for both sides better access to doctors, better training and throughput. Same for those living in Fermanagh vis a vis Sligo.

House prices much lower in the North but impractical to live there if you work in ROI.

Road network, gas network, electricity transmission network, train network all under utilised and ineffective in the North west due to crossing borders.

Looking at costs alone without the economic impact is not a fair comparison, otherwise why would we build a university or school or road as it is.

Comment

I don't think there's any wiggle room there at all? Surely social welfare, PS salaries would have to be the same on all-Ireland basis?

Good questions (I have no intention of reading an ESRI report so don't know the answers). Although I keep looking back to the other European example of reunification (Germany) and seeing how the costs there continue to mount even today....
                                                Yes, but not necessarily at the higher ROI rate. You would have an influx of supply happy to compete at higher than NI rates, but lower than current ROI rates I would imagine.

Comment

Yes, but not necessarily at the higher ROI rate. You would have an influx of supply happy to compete at higher than NI rates, but lower than current ROI rates I would imagine.
                                                  I'd like to see the NI economy transformed from its current begging bowl to London culture (which would inevitably transform to begging bowl to Dublin) before anything.

Give the NI Executive the powers to make this transformation and let's see if they are actually capable of running things. Personally I doubt it on the 25 years+ of evidence so far!

Comment

r
                                                    Originally posted by Ed View Post

Nope, moved to the gifting stage of gofund.me
                                                    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

€20bn p.a. for 20 years.
                                                      Have they priced in the inevitable resumption of widespread sectarian violence and loyalist terrorism in the south?

Comment

Andrew Scott as Tom Ripley, the role he was born to play ... What could possibly go wrong?

Netflix have made the first book into an 8 part b&w adaptation of the first novel, the talented Mr Ripley and have options on the other 4 books of this does well.

If you haven't read them yet field a favour, the books are just perfect and guaranteed to thrill your average BBC punter

Comment

What do people who want a united Ireland really want and expect?

In theory and on the face of it, I would like to see a united Ireland but as mentioned above, it's very much a romantic idea.

When I think long and hard about it, what I'd actually like is an enlarged Republic of Ireland. I would not be in favour of dropping or changing our national anthem or flag or other such things that identify us as the ROI. I'm also not sure about wanting to take in the absolute headbangers north of the border - The extreme loyalists and republicans and the problems that they bring with them.

A untied Ireland sounds like a lovely thing but I'm just not sure of the practicalities of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                            What do people who want a united Ireland really want and expect?

In theory and on the face of it, I would like to see a united Ireland but as mentioned above, it's very much a romantic idea.

When I think long and hard about it, what I'd actually like is an enlarged Republic of Ireland. I would not be in favour of dropping or changing our national anthem or flag or other such things that identify us as the ROI. I'm also not sure about wanting to take in the absolute headbangers north of the border - The extreme loyalists and republicans and the problems that they bring with them.

A untied Ireland sounds like a lovely thing but I'm just not sure of the practicalities of it.
                                                            We wouldn't be 'the ROI' any more. We'd be some new entity - in much the same way as the DDR and West Germany ceased to exist.

Comment

We wouldn't be 'the ROI' any more. We'd be some new entity - in much the same way as the DDR and West Germany ceased to exist.
                                                              That's my point - I think a lot of people who want a united Ireland want an enlarged Republic of Ireland - Maybe I'm wrong but that's the feeling I get.

What would the new entity be called, Ireland, The Four Provinces of Ireland, the artist formerly known as Ireland

Comment

The historic independence of the 32 counties of Ireland after centuries would be inconvenient for some of the folk living in this timeline. Jesus Wept.

Comment

Giving the monthly game in Fairview a spin later. Over early so any boozer recomendations nearby for pints and racing?

Comment

I feel like that's the kind of article where the subject believes they've a sympathetic journalist.

They're just short of the "sad photo of the person pointing at the thing they're complaining about".

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                      Andrew Scott as Tom Ripley, the role he was born to play ... What could possibly go wrong?

Netflix have made the first book into an 8 part b&w adaptation of the first novel, the talented Mr Ripley and have options on the other 4 books of this does well.

If you haven't read them yet field a favour, the books are just perfect and guaranteed to thrill your average BBC punter
                                                                      I only watched the 1999 movie recently.

I'm probably the last one to realise it. But Salt Burn is just a poor attempted imitation. Ripley ties itself in knots in its long winded ending, but it's still streets ahead of what Salt Burn tries to be.

Everything is just a sequel or a remake these days.

Comment

Giving the monthly game in Fairview a spin later. Over early so any boozer recomendations nearby for pints and racing?
                                                                        Gaffneys is probably just the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Gaffneys is probably just the ticket.
                                                                          in there last time, good spot, might tey find somewhere a bit more spit and sawdust

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Have they priced in the inevitable resumption of widespread sectarian violence and loyalist terrorism in the south?
                                                                            More conflict emanating from British Rule. What price ? How many countries celebrate independence from them. Perhaps the die hard Loyalists will make a stand or two but should we bow down to it ? It's terrorism after all, although I doubt they will have the support accross the water .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                              The historic independence of the 32 counties of Ireland after centuries would be inconvenient for some of the folk living in this timeline. Jesus Wept.

I think you are right to a degree, there is a certain bit of ‘greed’ on my part for not wanting a UI - because i think we’d take a massive step back. However i think it could last generations were it to happen.

However we got to this place, we are where we are and should always probably look to betterment going forward and not base too much on sentiment.

Comment

couple of cans and a batter burger sit on the tolka bridge and watch the world go by
                                                                                watch the racing on your phone until ur mugged
                                                                                enjoy

Comment

That's my point - I think a lot of people who want a united Ireland want an enlarged Republic of Ireland - Maybe I'm wrong but that's the feeling I get.

What would the new entity be called, Ireland, The Four Provinces of Ireland, the artist formerly known as Ireland
                                                                                  We could take the Isle of Man as well for the futy free end of things

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I think you are right to a degree, there is a certain bit of ‘greed’ on my part for not wanting a UI - because i think we’d take a massive step back. However i think it could last generations were it to happen.

However we got to this place, we are where we are and should always probably look to betterment going forward and not base too much on sentiment.
                                                                                    A step back ? WHY? Who decides what is a step back ? What will we lose ? Money ? Nobodys going broke . I'm not sure people grasp the enormity of this worlwide . This is beyond romance., although the Wild Atlantic way folk knew how to exploit romance. This is opportunity. The world would be looking on, a LOT of overseas interest and a lot of money from companies wanting to be a part of it . The apparent romance is cha ching . We should be getting behind this . Its not the 70s . This is HUGE Leverage . Apart from all that , we'd be Ireland.

Comment

Gaffneys not open yet, landed on a fiver pint in Clonliffe House bar. Cozy spot

Comment

A step back ? WHY? Who decides what is a step back ? What will we lose ? Money ? Nobodys going broke . I'm not sure people grasp the enormity of this worlwide . This is beyond romance., although the Wild Atlantic way folk knew how to exploit romance. This is opportunity. The world would be looking on, a LOT of overseas interest and a lot of money from companies wanting to be a part of it . The apparent romance is cha ching . We should be getting behind this . Its not the 70s . This is HUGE Leverage . Apart from all that , we'd be Ireland.
                                                                                        Money yes. Collectively we’d all probably be alot less off.

We already get alot of overseas interest. Our hotels are full of tourists most weeks of the year.
                                                                                        We already have loads of multinationals.

Comment

Can anyone explain what this means on a Land Registry Folio (in particular the circled part at the bottom)

Thanks

Amt0Je.png

Comment

what do you would think would be a bigger geopolitical event, the reunification of Ireland or the reunification of Korea?

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                                              Can anyone explain what this means on a Land Registry Folio (in particular the circled part at the bottom)

Thanks
                                                                                              Use Co-Pilot on bing. It has most of the paid features from other AI's to use for free like uploading images and asking questions.

The circled portion in the image refers to a “Judgment Mortgage” that was obtained as a result of a legal judgment by the Collector General against someone in November 2019. This judgment mortgage is registered against the interest of that individual in the property.

In simpler terms, it means that due to a legal ruling, a mortgage has been placed on the property owned by the person in question. This mortgage serves as a security interest, ensuring that the debt or obligation resulting from the judgment can be satisfied from the proceeds of the property if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

We could take the Isle of Man as well for the futy free end of things
                                                                                                Nah, not a big cat fan

Comment

Nah, not a big cat fan
                                                                                                  we'll get the Brits to throw in the Isle of Dogs as part of the deal - nice little enclave in London

Comment

Kilarney for the weekend, castlerosse resort with a pretty sweet deal.
                                                                                                    Lets go family time!

Comment

It's potentially a step back as we would not be able to afford taking the north into a united Ireland.

In order to be able afford it, we either have to significantly raise taxes or significantly cut services or most likely a combination of both. The services that will be cut are already the ones that are we struggling with. Waiting lists in hospital, overcrowding in A&E, not enough nurses, carers, teachers, public transport not up to scratch, etc so it's not just about money, it's about an overall standard of living and as usual when things get cut, the worse off get effected disproportionally.

As you mentioned earlier, it's centuries since we were a 32 county country. A lot has happened since then. There are very different positions and ideologies in place. Thinking we should just get behind it because there a potential opportunity is pretty much the definition of romance.

Why would we be Ireland? Plenty of our northern brethren don't want to be Ireland - They see themselves as British not Irish. Do they not count in our new utopia?

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post

I don't see an issue with this - they've more experience as a teacher, surely that should be reflected in their salary once they're back teaching in Ireland?
                                                                                                        I think any experienced based salary/pension/BIK should be based on:

1. Irish Education contribution/ teaching experience.
                                                                                                        2. Teach experience generally.

We want to keep Irish trained teachers in Ireland, incentivise that.
                                                                                                        We may have an issue with staffing, allow more experienced teachers from anywhere to come here at a fair salary level but absolutely not get the pension benefits of that salary level.

Right now, I believe, its kitchen sinked.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Pretty inyeresting spot that Clonliffe House. May have secured the fitout of 32 apartments. Time will tell. Securely ensconsed in Gaffneys alive. Extra euro a pint here charged for not needing a vest and improved decor.
                                                                                                          Last edited by Dice75; 04-04-24, 17:04.

Comment

It's potentially a step back as we would not be able to afford taking the north into a united Ireland.

In order to be able afford it, we either have to significantly raise taxes or significantly cut services or most likely a combination of both. The services that will be cut are already the ones that are we struggling with. Waiting lists in hospital, overcrowding in A&E, not enough nurses, carers, teachers, public transport not up to scratch, etc so it's not just about money, it's about an overall standard of living and as usual when things get cut, the worse off get effected disproportionally.

As you mentioned earlier, it's centuries since we were a 32 county country. A lot has happened since then. There are very different positions and ideologies in place. Thinking we should just get behind it because there a potential opportunity is pretty much the definition of romance.

Why would we be Ireland? Plenty of our northern brethren don't want to be Ireland - They see themselves as British not Irish. Do they not count in our new utopia?
                                                                                                            At the very least, it's now a different perspective.

For decades, it was easy to call for Irish reunification - because there was no real prospect of it actually happening. So it was easy to call for it as a 'good thing' with no real costs involved.

Now, it's actually something that is imaginable in a real sense. so it's entirely reasonable to start asking hard questions about cost, modalities, processes. When you start putting that lens on it, the entire conversation shifts from something fuzzy and desirable to something achievable - but that is really hard and has huge costs attached. And that will totally change the character of the state itself.

Comment

The EU will give us billons to give us our freedom
                                                                                                              They would be delighted to help our little island become a bit bigger, cutting out the Red diesel and duty Free
                                                                                                              A lot of paint would be needed for us to change all the footpaths around the shankill road areas therefore creating plenty of employment opportunities for all our Ukraine friends and to intern all the loyalists before they come down to us and cause trouble
                                                                                                              Jeffery Donaldson could be minister for kids (it’ mightn’t go down well in Dublin)
                                                                                                              Sammy (no clothes ) Wilson could be minister for Tourism
                                                                                                              Mrs o Neill could take over from Simon (Clothes Horse) Harris as our esteemed leader
                                                                                                              The euro would be stronger with all counties using it
                                                                                                              We could have a parade everyday to remember everything from 1916 to 1996 and the extra few events
                                                                                                              Nobody would have to work again unless you worked in Tourism which would be very busy due to all the parades

Comment

Opportunity is the definition of romance? I stopped reading after that.

new political party - me feiners .

Democracy decides . I only hope the economy , standard of living pearl clutchers are the minorities .

And yes we are in the EU, we Will be supported..

If the banking crises showed us anything , its that doom mongers bask in pessimism.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                  Kilarney for the weekend, castlerosse resort with a pretty sweet deal.
                                                                                                                  Lets go family time!
                                                                                                                  You're the 1st person I've ever seen to refer to the Castleross as a "resort" but enjoy the Kingdom. Been too long since I've been able to get home.

Comment

And yes we are in the EU, we Will be supported..
                                                                                                                    We're a rich country now, a net contributor.

The EU will invest structural funds in more needy places e.g. Ukraine. No pot of gold for Ireland anymore.

Comment

We're a rich country now, a net contributor.

The EU will invest structural funds in more needy places e.g. Ukraine. No pot of gold for Ireland anymore.
                                                                                                                      Your predictions during the ol banking crises were wide of the mark. i remember well.

I maintain you westies cant grasp the magnitude of what it means and will mean. I just hope I live long enough to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

You're the 1st person I've ever seen to refer to the Castleross as a "resort" but enjoy the Kingdom. Been too long since I've been able to get home.
                                                                                                                        It's the official name. We were here before, albeit in sunnier weather. Which seems important now. The park was a big psrt

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

It's the official name. We were here before, albeit in sunnier weather. Which seems important now. The park was a big psrt
                                                                                                                          Yeah, they added on the resort part a few years ago. Just seems odd seeing it written down. Our parents used to take us swimming there when we were kids. Tis a fine spot in a savage area.

Could take a stroll down to the Europe for lunch. I'm 99% sure there's a woodland, paved walkway between the 2 hotels. You wouldn't regret it.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X