This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RD3 with the nonsense yet again.

There are many, many people who do not feel they are doing well, and that they've no way to really control that, or improve it. I know many of them and they are smarties and hard workers.

To tell them "they are wrong" is as out of touch as Leo.
    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Did Harris always have grey hair? Seems that way in my memory at least.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Pointed out to the Mrs that shes almost old enough to be the new Taoiseachs ma. Spare room it is

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
          Pointed out to the Mrs that shes almost old enough to be the new Taoiseachs ma. Spare room it is

No matter what field you're in, it must be close to unprecedented to rise to the top at that age. Thankfully not a problem I'll ever have to grapple with.

Comment

The Apprentice

SPOILER
            I've never seen a more argumentative contestant after being told by all the experts and sugar that their ad is shite, to continue saying it's great.

Phil absolutely blessed. Surely gone next week. Should have gone this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

No matter what field you're in, it must be close to unprecedented to rise to the top at that age. Thankfully not a problem I'll ever have to grapple with.
              Sport, music, tech, poker, chess, acting, literature.....almost every field I can think of tbh!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                Saw Poor Things tonight. Jesus. It's a bit of something. Mad as a hatter and yet weirdly amazing and beautiful.
                Went to see it for the 2nd time today. Funny how what seemed so weird and disturbing on first viewing can so soon be boring.
                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

So (and this is not directed at you at all) you are expressing a common opinion these days. And it's something that is by no means restricted to Ireland - in fact we probably have it milder than most other liberal democracies - the US is the worst.

It's this:
                  1. by pretty much any measure you care to name, we are living in the best version of Ireland that has ever existed. It's peaceful, democratic and ludicrously wealthy. We are well educated, we live long, decent lives. Crime is low and violent crime even lower. This is one of the best places in the world to live - by being born in Ireland, you have won the lottery of life. Yes, we do have some problems (the perfect country does not exist) but, largely, Ireland is fucking awesome.
                  2. If I go up to any random Irish person and start asking questions, they will probably agree that they, as an individual, lead a pretty great life. So they are able, in the context of their own individual circumstances to recognise the facts in (1) above.
                  3. Now, if I ask the same person how they think Ireland is doing as a country, their response will likely be very different. They will point to problems in housing, in health. They might have a rant about immigration. They might shout about inflation. etc etc

Politicians are working to build (1) for the benefit of (2) - but they are getting judged on (3).

(3) is, largely speaking a false perception, that opposition politicians and bad actors try to amplify - generally using social media. If you can push the narrative of (3) hard enough, then you will succeed at the ballot boxes - unfortunately that 'success' translates into things like Trump, Brexit, the Front Nationale, Wilders, Orban etc etc

How do we break this cycle and start talking about politics in a way that is objective and focused on the long term policies? I have no idea. But given the toxic discourse around (3), I can see exactly why someone like Leo would want to get the hell out of dodge.
                  This is a great post. Have had this very argument (although I've struggled to be as succinct) numerous times with people over the past year or so.

I met a business owner for lunch yesterday, an hour after the news of Leo.

He goes on a rant about Leo, 'good riddance, state of the country' etc etc. I disagreed and went on a version of what you said.

The meeting was mostly about him selling the business and retiring at 50 because he's done so well.

You can't make it up.
                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Sport, music, tech, poker, chess, acting, literature.....almost every field I can think of tbh!
                    A lot of the people that have risen to the top in their chosen fields are retired or planning it very shortly at 37

Comment

Well in Harris' chosen field it's highly unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

That he got to where he is, despite having the charisma of a tree stump, suggests he must have some skills.
                        A lot of stuff points towards the autistic spectrum with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          Agreed. However RD reckons no matter what field it's almost unprecedented. It's not. He's wrong. (This time) starting to wonder if Hitch was right all along.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                            I think the electorate want younger leaders, the initial response to Holly Cairns was quite positive.

Historically, he’s young but even looking at countries which we’d see reported in the news regularly you can see a few leaders who are quite young.

Obviously still impressive but off the top of my head; Sanna Marin, Jacinta Ahern, Macron, Gabriel Attal and MBS all around that age when they took up the role.

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post

Agreed. However RD reckons no matter what field it's almost unprecedented. It's not. He's wrong. (This time) starting to wonder if Hitch was right all along.
                              Meh, I was thinking of serious professions, not kicking a bag of air around or standing on a stage miming.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                Obviously still impressive but off the top of my head; Sanna Marin, Jacinta Ahern, Macron, Gabriel Attal and MBS all around that age when they took up the role.
                                MBS a bit of an anomaly there.

At the other end of the scale Sleepy Joe is the most powerful of all.

Comment

Anyone watch Roadhouse ? McGregor is comical in it. Possibly the worst movie I've seen to date but it falls into the so bad its a must watch category. .

Comment

Meh, I was thinking of serious professions, not kicking a bag of air around or standing on a stage miming.
                                    Ah here stop digging ffs zut gave you 7 perfectly credible examples and there are 70 or 700 more he could give you if he could be arsed. On the law of averages there'll be a large % of ,"serious professions".

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                      Anyone watch Roadhouse ? McGregor is comical in it. Possibly the worst movie I've seen to date but it falls into the so bad it’s a must watch category. .
                                      The original was nominated for worst movie. Didn’t see it, so can’t say whether it was true it that bad.

Comment

What's Harris going to do in 10 months that could conceivably give him a chance of remaining in the Big Chair(If there's even a road to that) . Abolish the USC? New Bank Holidays!!? What could he give out? Hardly just going to stick to the mandate, receive dog's abuse for the next year and flame out whilst all his colleagues retire around him?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

That he got to where he is, despite having the charisma of a tree stump, suggests he must have some skills.
                                          I don’t think many disliked him even if a lot may not have actually liked him. Small but pretty important distinction.

Not disliking someone is enough for a professional relationship and to work together effectively. Not enough for public elections of course.

Comment

Anyone watch Roadhouse ? McGregor is comical in it. Possibly the worst movie I've seen to date but it falls into the so bad its a must watch category. .
                                            Haven't seen it but doubt it could be as bad as the steaming pile of poo that is Ethan Coens latest offering https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935626...hm_rvi_tt_i_13

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                              What's Harris going to do in 10 months that could conceivably give him a chance of remaining in the Big Chair(If there's even a road to that) . Abolish the USC? New Bank Holidays!!? What could he give out? Hardly just going to stick to the mandate, receive dog's abuse for the next year and flame out whilst all his colleagues retire around him?
                                              He has to stick to the mandate...it's a coalition.

The budget 2025 process is the place to look for goodies.

Comment

Ah here stop digging ffs zut gave you 7 perfectly credible examples and there are 70 or 700 more he could give you if he could be arsed. On the law of averages there'll be a large % of ,"serious professions".
                                                There is such an infinitesimal chance* of me being wrong here that I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you.

*you may, if you wish**, take this as me being wrong

**you would be wrong to do so

Comment

I'd be massively in favour of core-competency vs charming on the politician front. Someone like Donnelly appears quite robotic as a person, but pretty amazing as a health department manager. Harris has managed to do very decent things in his roles also, but the main thing is that he's focused on operational performance rather than flippant little political moves. The UK is ruined by the latter.
                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

There is such an infinitesimal chance* of me being wrong here that I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you.

*you may, if you wish**, take this as me being wrong

**you would be wrong to do so
                                                    you're too good have you ever thought about stepping into the political arena yourself and getting into a position where you could fix everything and turn Ireland into utopia for all ? Hitch can't he has more skeletons in the closet than a city morgue . Rather than wondering about what's going to happen next irl please devote some time to selecting a cabinet of IPB ers based on the assumption that you have miraculously delivered a groundbreaking landslide victory for the party in the most recent election. Mary Lou is still leader of the opposition and Simon is going to do a decent job based on the fact it's not the easiest job he's been asked to do. Me hole however is fckd. Bound to be more entertaining than socks of EVs

Comment

Mortgage interest relief for 2023 for tracker and variable process , successfully tested . 1500 refund.

Do it.

Comment

Mortgage interest relief for 2023 for tracker and variable process , successfully tested . 1500 refund.

Do it.
                                                        Covers the exact entry for the Irish Open Americas Cup and the Main Event

Comment

I'd be massively in favour of core-competency vs charming on the politician front. Someone like Donnelly appears quite robotic as a person, but pretty amazing as a health department manager. Harris has managed to do very decent things in his roles also, but the main thing is that he's focused on operational performance rather than flippant little political moves. The UK is ruined by the latter.
                                                          There's definitely also a thing where people totally overestimate the impact that government can have. You see this a lot in the commentary - people have vastly inflated, sometimes even entitled, expectations of what the government should be doing for them. Way beyond the boundaries of what is actually possible.

Comment

you're too good have you ever thought about stepping into the political arena yourself and getting into a position where you could fix everything and turn Ireland into utopia for all ?
                                                            I'm lacking in the required personality disorders and couldn't afford the pay cut.

Comment

I'm lacking in the required personality disorders and couldn't afford the pay cut.
                                                              Hmmm. I have all the required personality disorders and more besides and could do with the pay rise. Sadly like Hitch tho I would quickly be shredded by Mary Lou and her rabble for previous personality disorder related events

Comment

Hasn't done much about the R&D budget. Still half the EU average (using GNI and not GDP to keep you happy), looking up at powerhouses like Slovenia and Hungary. Meanwhile he turns up for the photo op for every funding announcement he can talking about how critically important research is. I wonder why they are so against putting money into it. Are they happy enough to just pretend we are a research intensive country with a few bits going on and saying "​dont make me tap the sign"​ when anyone questions it? Just something nice to show to the tech companies when they rock up looking for their tax breaks I suppose.

Comment

I fear our time in the political news spotlight is coming to end - looks like the GOP might fire their own Speaker again.

Comment

I fear our time in the political news spotlight is coming to end - looks like the GOP might fire their own Speaker again.
                                                                    They're a mad aul bunch all the same.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1746662&d=1711127103&type=thumb
                                                                      Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

They're a mad aul bunch all the same.
                                                                      Women?
                                                                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                                                                        Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Hasn't done much about the R&D budget. Still half the EU average (using GNI and not GDP to keep you happy), looking up at powerhouses like Slovenia and Hungary. Meanwhile he turns up for the photo op for every funding announcement he can talking about how critically important research is. I wonder why they are so against putting money into it. Are they happy enough to just pretend we are a research intensive country with a few bits going on and saying "​dont make me tap the sign"​ when anyone questions it? Just something nice to show to the tech companies when they rock up looking for their tax breaks I suppose.
                                                                          I think he quite fairly decided that the money was more reasonably spent elsewhere - like the massive expansive of apprenticeships and alternative type schemes. Also managed to get all the previously hapless ITs over the line into unis. Like if the bar is excellent, he didn't reach it, but he made some pretty dramatic changes. Not least by hiving out the Dept HigherEd to give it standalone status.

Comment

Feels a bit mad that a taoiseach gets the same salary as a prof. i'm not sure theres an equivalent workload there. and then his hospital consultant partner would be on twice his pay. you'd want to be getting some mad extra gigs after being a politician to make up for the mega-millions that someone with those skills would alternatively be able to earn in an alternative career choice. like leo will surely earn half a mil minimum in his first position, whichever it is.

Comment

Chart here from wiki of the lifespan of the various Taoisigh. Eamonn just wouldn't go away.

oe2argkiszpphg2m1zshrlhk02ty6wb.png

Comment

Chart here from wiki of the lifespan of the various Taoisigh. Eamonn just wouldn't go away.

oe2argkiszpphg2m1zshrlhk02ty6wb.png
                                                                                So what you're saying is John Bruton doesn't have long to go?
                                                                                Last edited by Micknail; 23-03-24, 00:57.
                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                  Should have jumped on that bandwagon - currently renting out a 4 bed in a far nicer spot in D16 for €500 a month for the whole place and i pay the bills

Comment

This is one of the best Anti Drug videos I’ve ever seen- show to your kids

Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Quite enjoyable watching the Engerlish meltdown on the Nike discolouration of the St George flag.

ok we'd flip too but the pedants would say we need to mature as a nation.

Well played Nike, definitely deliberate, great publicity

Comment

I think he quite fairly decided that the money was more reasonably spent elsewhere - like the massive expansive of apprenticeships and alternative type schemes. Also managed to get all the previously hapless ITs over the line into unis. Like if the bar is excellent, he didn't reach it, but he made some pretty dramatic changes. Not least by hiving out the Dept HigherEd to give it standalone status.
                                                                                        From what I hear they are still fairly hapless, except now they have PhD students wondering why their supervisors disappear for 12 weeks in the summer. Have heard a lot of stories that make them sound like very parochial, dysfunctional entities.

Comment

From what I hear they are still fairly hapless, except now they have PhD students wondering why their supervisors disappear for 12 weeks in the summer. Have heard a lot of stories that make them sound like very parochial, dysfunctional entities.
                                                                                          you see, i told you they were becoming more like universities

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                            This is one of the best Anti Drug videos I’ve ever seen- show to your kids

https://youtu.be/WsXfKNiZjrU
                                                                                            Yes and also this video

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

So (and this is not directed at you at all) you are expressing a common opinion these days. And it's something that is by no means restricted to Ireland - in fact we probably have it milder than most other liberal democracies - the US is the worst.

It's this:
                                                                                              1. by pretty much any measure you care to name, we are living in the best version of Ireland that has ever existed. It's peaceful, democratic and ludicrously wealthy. We are well educated, we live long, decent lives. Crime is low and violent crime even lower. This is one of the best places in the world to live - by being born in Ireland, you have won the lottery of life. Yes, we do have some problems (the perfect country does not exist) but, largely, Ireland is fucking awesome.
                                                                                              2. If I go up to any random Irish person and start asking questions, they will probably agree that they, as an individual, lead a pretty great life. So they are able, in the context of their own individual circumstances to recognise the facts in (1) above.
                                                                                              3. Now, if I ask the same person how they think Ireland is doing as a country, their response will likely be very different. They will point to problems in housing, in health. They might have a rant about immigration. They might shout about inflation. etc etc

Politicians are working to build (1) for the benefit of (2) - but they are getting judged on (3).

(3) is, largely speaking a false perception, that opposition politicians and bad actors try to amplify - generally using social media. If you can push the narrative of (3) hard enough, then you will succeed at the ballot boxes - unfortunately that 'success' translates into things like Trump, Brexit, the Front Nationale, Wilders, Orban etc etc

How do we break this cycle and start talking about politics in a way that is objective and focused on the long term policies? I have no idea. But given the toxic discourse around (3), I can see exactly why someone like Leo would want to get the hell out of dodge.
                                                                                              Are we living in a first world country with relatively few real hardships and deprivation? Absolutely.

Have we squandered potential to make the country better and fairer (housing, health, inequality, inclusivity, structurally, fiscally, governance, oversight and accountability etc)? Absolutely.

Is it possible to live with these seemingly contradictory perspectives without getting too extreme? It's a yes for me.
                                                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

you see, i told you they were becoming more like universities
                                                                                                My mrs works in our place now on the academic systems and she said its hilariously chaotic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Should have jumped on that bandwagon - currently renting out a 4 bed in a far nicer spot in D16 for €500 a month for the whole place and i pay the bills
                                                                                                  You own it and someone is renting it from you for 500 a month and you pay the bills? I presume it's a family member, or else someone that has compromising pictures of you?

Comment

This ISIS attack in Moscow looks like it was entirely preventable - the Americans gave Russia very specific warning and the Russians either failed to act or screwed up. Just shows, yet again, how little Mad Vlad cares for his serfs.

Comment

I was watching the Lex podcast last night and stuck it on without knowing anything about the guest. The Russian news had just broken and she proceeds in the first 40 minutes to go into extreme detail around how nuclear war starts, escalates and ends. It is equal parts fascinating and terrifying juxtaposed by the her incredibly soothing voice that makes it all sound like some fictional bedtime story.

Comment

This ISIS attack in Moscow looks like it was entirely preventable - the Americans gave Russia very specific warning and the Russians either failed to act or screwed up. Just shows, yet again, how little Mad Vlad cares for his serfs.
                                                                                                        And yet, this probably solidifies his support, not that it needed it really
                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Don't all rush and buy a mug from the Social Democrats s940067453598560348_p1_i4_w1000.jpeg?width=2400&optimize=medium.jpg

Comment

My mrs works in our place now on the academic systems and she said its hilariously chaotic.
                                                                                                            she didn't get dragged in SIS i hope. thats going to destroy us all.

Comment

What was the specific warning the Americans gave? The only one I read was for US citizens to stay away from crowds and suchlike. Surely they should avoid being in Russia at all.

Comment

Are we still pretending that we aren't at war with Russia? Like why would they take warning from the US?

Comment

Looking at the codebase for the business there as I was trying to find something in order to change it and was a bit blown away by how much depth there was to the whole codebase. So i ran a little program to count the number of lines of code - 9,500 lines of code so far. jesus. Which is apparently tiny - and we'll be barely notable until its up around 50,000 lines of code. its mad the amount of work that goes into these things.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                                    Are we still pretending that we aren't at war with Russia? Like why would they take warning from the US?
                                                                                                                    the russians had also arrested quite a few dissident muslims in recent weeks - something that was in the news stories before this event - so the idea that they ignored the warning is clearly wrong. the problem, like Baltacan and numerous other events before it shows, is that terrorism is notoriously hard to prevent.

Comment

the russians had also arrested quite a few dissident muslims in recent weeks - something that was in the news stories before this event - so the idea that they ignored the warning is clearly wrong. the problem, like Baltacan and numerous other events before it shows, is that terrorism is notoriously hard to prevent.
                                                                                                                      The only video I watched was of 3 or 4 lads shooting indiscriminately. So easy to do, and looked to me more like a US school shooting than anything properly planned.

Comment

Finished a great book: The Will of the Many.

I guess its fantasy? Whatever it is it has definite vibes of Rothfuss, but mainly just being a fantastically told story. all the wombats.

GUEST_38bf21d5-706f-4b5f-acc6-9292625853d3?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg.jpg

Comment

Etto a return to form for dining out after the letdown that was Kickys. Very solid.

Also (I think) a first for me in post-dinner drinks in the Westbury, what a great space. Very elegant although my purloining of fancy coasters led to much eye rolling by my companion in life.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X