This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

​​​​​​​This could actually do well
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

ah its not. its the classic irish disease of overthinking things. we did it with the senate vote also. at some point we just have to start blaming ourselves.
      It's pretty international

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

It’d be passed easily, as it should be.
        like we're literally about to vote to say that a women's place is indeed in the home - it doesn't matter what we vote on, people will overthink it and vote against it. So all i'm asking is for a chance.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

This could actually do well
          Its very close to a brilliant song. Like it starts off so strong. Lovely Marilyn Manson vibes, but with a modern twist. I wonder does it miss a song climax though - as in it starts at 100 and continues at 100, while if it instead went 60 - 80 - 100, it would fit more with the classic Eurovision song audience.

Comment

I'd fucking love a referendum on whether to keep Irish as the primary language of the country.
            A definite to keep Irish as primary. As removing this clause will potentially open the way to speaking Irish being made a criminal offence. Or something scaremongery like that.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

A definite to keep Irish as primary. As removing this clause will potentially open the way to speaking Irish being made a criminal offence. Or something scaremongery like that.
              Add in a tag including one or more of Indian, Homo or Nazi and you've got yourself a County Council Seat minimum

Comment

Ended up changing my vote last second from Yes-No to Yes-Yes.

I actually agree with Hitch that we overthink these things. I’m not entirely sure what material difference it will make.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

This could actually do well

If we make it to the final and it's a big if, we won't finish top 5, maybe not even top 10.
                  ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Totally standard though. Second order voting is a way for disgruntled voters to kick the government. And totally to be expected.

If it fails, it's squarely on the government's heads for running such a lackluster, haphazard campaign.
                    It’s totally standard. That doesn’t mean it’s not moronic. The vast number of voter tendencies are moronic in general.

The haphazard campaign lies with the government. It’s not an either/or situation. Both can be wrong, quite easily.​
                    Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

I’m not basing my view on it but fairly moronic from them not to foresee this- low stakes so turnout will be skewed an nothing else on ballot- if they had done nothing else but tied it in with European elections or the general election they’d have got high turnout and easily carried
                    wasters but they’ll just blame ignorance on the electorates part when the ignorance is actually full theirs and theirs alone to own
                    I’m not defending the set up, or the campaign. That’s an issue in itself. I’m saying those flaws don’t excuse the FU voters, who are only opposing it because it’s the gubberment. That is moronic.
                    The same crowd that will be campaigning to vote in pin and have already start the “rigged” narrative. Trumpian should be added to the dictionary in 2024.
                    I’m sure many don’t know any better. What can you do?

But those that understand the changes but see an opportunity to stick the knife in. It’s a little much imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                      Ended up changing my vote last second from Yes-No to Yes-Yes.

I actually agree with Hitch that we overthink these things. I’m not entirely sure what material difference it will make.

the hero we need!

Comment

I think Europeans are definitely more invested into the nuances of acts/ referendums etc then the blind stubburn Americans . I've heard some folk debate it objectively, go back 20 years and it was more hysterical. We are slowly maturing . ( maybe not me) .

No to banning Irish etc - IPBRITS

Comment

Used to be quite a lone wolf in terms of getting things done - very much an academic trait. But since January I've had a few people working for me in various part-time roles and its so vastly better than doing things yourself once you get used to the idea of giving clear instructions. Yes, thats right, I feel I've discovered the idea of management.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

It’s totally standard. That doesn’t mean it’s not moronic.
                            Is it though? The voters use unimportant votes to give the gov feedback without risking anything important.

Comment

Is it though? The voters use unimportant votes to give the gov feedback without risking anything important.
                              whats the feedback? and given all political parties, except the loons in aontu, support the changes, whats the specific message?!

Comment

New wine glasses.

PXL-20240308-112556339.jpg

This too shall pass.

Comment

I suspect its (c) - get the low value piece out of the way to increase the average value of the remaining pieces.

Comment

I suspect its (c) - get the low value piece out of the way to increase the average value of the remaining pieces.
                                    I'd go for (c) too, but mostly to return some momentary symmetry.
                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1745774&d=1709924687&type=thumb
                                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Went YesYes.

Didn't have time to fully dig into it.

Usually a good tack on these things is to take the opposite line of those Ionacunce (not you Paul) but got confused by normal people advocating No to the second one.

DP swang me.
                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Used to be quite a lone wolf in terms of getting things done - very much an academic trait. But since January I've had a few people working for me in various part-time roles and its so vastly better than doing things yourself once you get used to the idea of giving clear instructions. Yes, thats right, I feel I've discovered the idea of management.
                                          Pfft. That's not management. I bet you don't even know how to micromanage properly, thus making them psychologically dependent on you and willing to put up with all kinds of shit.

What do they even teach in that so-called 'business school' of yours anyway?
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

If the turnout is dismal though both will likely fail.

Comment

For the record I voted nono. Not happy to be on the same side as Musk/McGregor/TheCatholicChurch or Tucker Carlson, but them's the breaks.

Comment

That anyone on here who has a basic grounding in EV goes to the effort of voting never ceases to amaze me. I mean you're almost certainly more likely to die in accident on the way to vote than your vote having any impact on the outcome, never mind the outcome changing all that much about society?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                  That anyone on here who has a basic grounding in EV goes to the effort of voting never ceases to amaze me. I mean you're almost certainly more likely to die in accident on the way to vote than your vote having any impact on the outcome, never mind the outcome changing all that much about society?
                                                  I mostly hoped to make Hitchhiker's Guide To... bet go the same way his Liz Truss one did Impact lol. I chose not to argue it, because on previous experience I generally induce the opposite result.

Comment

Great finish to the under 20 game
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

local polling station was very quiet this morning but this evening when dropping up No1 Daughter, who made the effort to fight through Friday night traffic to come home to vote, it was busier than I've ever seen it before.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                        Can anyone summarise the objection the various care organisations have to the second one and critique the argument to save me the trouble?

It amounts to: if you are going to change you should make it so that the state guarantees to meet each and every need of all citizens and families should have no responsibility for anything

Comment

You are likely to die on the jacks than on the way to vote.

EV is for selfish types

Comment

like we're literally about to vote to say that a women's place is indeed in the home - it doesn't matter what we vote on, people will overthink it and vote against it. So all i'm asking is for a chance.
                                                            This Maoist tactic of repeating a lie ad nauseam until it becomes a truism is bollox. If you think the article said that, you really shouldn't have voted.

Comment

10 years ago I bought a 2010 VW Passat with somewhere between 60 and 80K Km on it for I think <12K definitely less than13
                                                              I've driven over 250K in it and have had the usual repairs and a couple of scrapes but nothing serious. Was thinking maybe it's time for a change and started looking at the options.

To replace it now with similar model / miles / age is going to cost 30K WTAF
                                                              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 08-03-24, 21:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                10 years ago I bought a VW Passat with somewhere between 60 and 80K Km on it for I think <12K definitely less than13
                                                                I've driven over 250K in it and have had the usual repairs and a couple of scrapes but nothing serious. Was thinking maybe it's time for a change and started looking at the options.

Get in early on a diesel car. Looking like vegetable oil powered cars make more sense than battery powered ones. Though I'd personally prefer no cars tbh.

Comment

That's kinda like saying an individual decision in a hand has no effect on your EV over 100k hands, when of course it does.

Comment

That presumes humans are simple rational economic units.

All the people flying home for previous referendums suggests that people get a bigger value out of voting than just the likelihood of them being the tipping point.
                                                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 08-03-24, 22:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

What do they even teach in that so-called 'business school' of yours anyway?
                                                                      I have no idea.

Comment

All the people flying home for previous referendums suggests that people get a bigger value out of voting than just the likelihood of them being the tipping point.
                                                                        Yeah the wife had her first every vote today and was literally glowing leaving the voting hall. Its quite the honour and the event to be part of a nations decision making.

Admittedly in this case she had no idea what she was actually voting on, so i explained that she needed to vote yes to be allowed out of the home.

Comment

Which, as a heartless robot, I find a bit weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                            10 years ago I bought a 2010 VW Passat with somewhere between 60 and 80K Km on it for I think <12K definitely less than13

Its crazy...my 2012 BMW 520 is starting to creak and I was checking out 2018 models...Not much change out of 30k. Bought the current one at 6 years old for 15 or 16 IIRC

Comment

Its crazy...my 2012 BMW 520 is starting to creak and I was checking out 2018 models...Not much change out of 30k. Bought the current one at 6 years old for 15 or 16 IIRC
                                                                              Pre-Covid, I worked off the principle of reasonable value being available on PCP returns.
                                                                              My sisters Mitsubishi Colt was costing me 100e a week in petrol so based on that, I bought a 2015 Civic in 2018 for 15.5K and sold it in 2023 for 10K having gone from 50KM to 200KM but like yours a few lights here and there so looked at a change.

While highly recommended according to YouTube reviews, the newest model Civic retails at 50K so that was ruled out so I bought a 3yr old Corolla for less than half that.

Comment

Ok, IPB brag time.

Who has the coolest wheels.

So far Zuut is in the lead with the elderly Beemer.

Comment

I've had probably close on 20 different cars and vans over the years. Coolest was probably a Jeep Cherokee from new (company yoke), fastest was a Mazda MX3 V6, but most fun and favourite by far was a Nissan Terrano.

Shiny black with tan seats. What I loved about it was any time you turned a corner it made that mad screeching sound cop cars made in the movies.

Red Honda Accord with three spoke alloys in the mid 90s the second favourite. That was my Da's though, although my wheels.

Comment

My first car was a 1975 mini.

Well, first car I owned. Other than collecting it from the guy I bought it from I never drove it.

Bought it for £200 in 95, but when I went to insure it they asked for £2500.

So I sold it. For £500.

The guy I bought it off insisted I come collect it during daytime. Made some vague excuse as to why.

I arrived at night time. The lights weren't working. Aha says I.

He was asking £400, and on account of the car only being safe to drive 50% of the day, I offered him 50% of the asking.

My electrician mate had already copped the problem. Guy agreed. We fixed the lights and drove it home.

Gorgeous little yoke. Bright red with a black roof, a classic Mini.

Was gutted that I couldn't afford to insure it.

A while after I sold it I got an angry phonecall from the dude that bought it off me.

Turned out there was a massive rust hole in the floor of it covered up by carpet and it was about to disintegrate.

Lovely car though

Comment

ha, thats a great story. wonder what the odds are on our kids driving. I'd say its maybe 30-40% if they start lateish - e.g. mid 20s as they just won't be able to justify people driving cars when the AI can do it far safer. SanFran already has self-driving taxis that can go here there and everywhere. A lot of lobbying against them though as why would you need to own a car if there's always cars just self-driving around Dublin waiting to pick you up.

Comment

50 next year, never paid for a car in my life. Had Company cars for years then Company went bad in recession,. Had gotten the kid brother a job there and he was a bit taken aback when I got heave-ho and not him but thems the breaks. He got fucked with brain tumour but they let him go anyway a year later.

He had bought a 04 Passat in 06 when he was quite young, it was his pride and joy. Everything you could imagine in he boot to clean and wax the yoke.

Anyway off he went to wherever you go and aul lad told me to take the car and mind it like a baby. So every year i did and aul lad would fist pump every NCT pass. I genuinlely think it kept him going till he got the Dementia, he never was the same after the brother passed away, they were thick as thieves.

Dementia diagnosis to death for aul lad was 4 months, horrific disease.

I still drive the Passat every day - will do till it breaks. My kids never met my only brother but they still call it Garys car.

I have spent the price of a new Ferrari on the bloody thing.

Funny story about my first Company car - wrangled a promotion when i was quite young, bosses parting question on getting job was "i presume you have a Licence"? Of course i sadi yes. I didnt. I couldnt even drive. First day i nearly shit myself trying to drive it to Maynooth and back.. Second day i rammed into back of our Receptionist outside the Office. We were all kinda a bit scared of the Boss (Balfejohn will verify) so s he told me to tell him the next day.

Never forget that phonecall, assumed i'd be sacked. No licence and prob no insurance never mind the rest. Rang him and told him I'd had a bump into our receptionist.

Phone went silent.

"Well at least you didnt give her a bump somewhere else"

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                          50 next year, never paid for a car in my life. Had Company cars for years then Company went bad in recession,. Had gotten the kid brother a job there and he was a bit taken aback when I got heave-ho and not him but thems the breaks. He got fucked with brain tumour but they let him go anyway a year later.

He had bought a 04 Passat in 06 when he was quite young, it was his pride and joy. Everything you could imagine in he boot to clean and wax the yoke.

Anyway off he went to wherever you go and aul lad told me to take the car and mind it like a baby. So every year i did and aul lad would fist pump every NCT pass. I genuinlely think it kept him going till he got the Dementia, he never was the same after the brother passed away, they were thick as thieves.

Dementia diagnosis to death for aul lad was 4 months, horrific disease.

I still drive the Passat every day - will do till it breaks. My kids never met my only brother but they still call it Garys car.

I have spent the price of a new Ferrari on the bloody thing.

Funny story about my first Company car - wrangled a promotion when i was quite young, bosses parting question on getting job was "i presume you have a Licence"? Of course i sadi yes. I didnt. I couldnt even drive. First day i nearly shit myself trying to drive it to Maynooth and back.. Second day i rammed into back of our Receptionist outside the Office. We were all kinda a bit scared of the Boss (Balfejohn will verify) so s he told me to tell him the next day.

Never forget that phonecall, assumed i'd be sacked. No licence and prob no insurance never mind the rest. Rang him and told him I'd had a bump into our receptionist.

Phone went silent.

"Well at least you didnt give her a bump somewhere else"
                                                                                          will verify that said boss was a tad mad but very helpful, if you got a call from him at any stage of the day u loosened ur belt a small bit
                                                                                          receptionist took nine months to get over bump (no sign of another dice thankfully)
                                                                                          His brother Gary was a total gent and someone I could thankfully call a great work colleague and friend

Comment

Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and you could buy a fleet of Lazare--priced cars.
                                                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Dublin is running out of water. Can the Shannon help?

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/housing-planning/2024/03/09/dublin-is-drying-up-water-shortages-threaten-dire-consequences-for-housing-targets/​

no, the answer is no.
                                                                                              and if anybody tries to use it I will be involved in any terrorist group that springs up to sabotage this.

sort your leaking pipes and ridiculous overconsumption out first cunts
                                                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Rishi sunak and his wife pretending they empty the dishwasher and set the table an absolute classic of the politicians acting like aliens in rubber human suits pretending to be humans genre. Awful scum- UK really has a knack for installing extra terrible people in the top job
                                                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Rishi sunak and his wife pretending they empty the dishwasher and set the table an absolute classic of the politicians acting like aliens in rubber human suits pretending to be humans genre. Awful scum- UK really has a knack for installing extra terrible people in the top job
                                                                                                  Prince William pulling pints is another one

Comment

ha, thats a great story. wonder what the odds are on our kids driving. I'd say its maybe 30-40% if they start lateish - e.g. mid 20s as they just won't be able to justify people driving cars when the AI can do it far safer. SanFran already has self-driving taxis that can go here there and everywhere. A lot of lobbying against them though as why would you need to own a car if there's always cars just self-driving around Dublin waiting to pick you up.
                                                                                                    Ten year old niece is already driving her dad's Jeep, Atv and has eyes on the John Deere as soon as she can reach the pedals.
                                                                                                    Private land and roads of course.
                                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Comment

Golf last night
                                                                                                        Scheffler lining up a putt and Rich Beem comes out with ” I saw a billboard earlier that said March is national gambling awareness month but I’m willing to bet this one goes in”
                                                                                                        silence from co commentators then scheffler misses

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                          New book out today which might interest a few here, called The Trading Game, by Gary Stevenson.​
                                                                                                          This is absolutely fantastic, blew through the audiobook in no time which has him narrating it

He grew up pretty poor but as some kind of maths prodigy which enabled him to end up at London School of Economics. He won a job on the trading desk with Citibank in a card based trading competition they used to hold every year. At one point he was the highest performing trader in the bank worldwide in his section doing billion dollar trades. The whole world and characters are so over the top and the stories so ridiculous that it makes for a very engaging story.

He has since turned to talking much more about inequality through what he learned from his time but the book isn't really about that and is more his story of his time in Citibank.

Good Q&A with him around the book.

Comment

Dublin is running out of water. Can the Shannon help?

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/housing-planning/2024/03/09/dublin-is-drying-up-water-shortages-threaten-dire-consequences-for-housing-targets/​

no, the answer is no.
                                                                                                            and if anybody tries to use it I will be involved in any terrorist group that springs up to sabotage this.

sort your leaking pipes and ridiculous overconsumption out first cunts
                                                                                                            You culchies go home then, plenty of water left if you rid Dub of the Culchies. Your most ironic post ever.

Comment

Low bar if a 12 year old 5 series is winning

My car history since 2002 is: Peugeot 106, Toyota Starlet, Hyundai Coupe, Suzuki Vitara, Seat Toledo, Toyota Sera, BMW 520, BMW 730, Audi A4, Subaru Legacy, BMW X5, BMW 730, BMW Z3, BMW 520, and Ive had the most recent one for almost 6 years!

Comment

Not a petrol head. Have had a few non descript cars but have had some great ol Bicycles. If only there was a trend for older men to go cycling in groups holding up traffic .

Comment

jaysus. what do the trouples of Ireland do now.

Comment

This is absolutely fantastic, blew through the audiobook in no time which has him narrating it

He grew up pretty poor but as some kind of maths prodigy which enabled him to end up at London School of Economics. He won a job on the trading desk with Citibank in a card based trading competition they used to hold every year. At one point he was the highest performing trader in the bank worldwide in his section doing billion dollar trades. The whole world and characters are so over the top and the stories so ridiculous that it makes for a very engaging story.

He has since turned to talking much more about inequality through what he learned from his time but the book isn't really about that and is more his story of his time in Citibank.

Good Q&A with him around the book.

I saw somewhere that he claimed to be the highest earning with a bonus of 400k, sounds hard to believe that would have been the highest? Unless citi are particularly penurious.

Comment

I saw somewhere that he claimed to be the highest earning with a bonus of 400k, sounds hard to believe that would have been the highest? Unless citi are particularly penurious.
                                                                                                                      That was the first proper bonus he got. I think he made £12m for the bank that year in this first year of trading, but I think he said it was the highest ever for a first year trader, which is maybe what you heard him say. He tells a story about where all his friends are talking about how they had got a couple of k as a bonus at work, and they ask him, and he decides to just drop that he got 400k and the oxygen just leaves the room. I forget the exact figure, but he goes on to have £3m or so bonus year.

Edit - What seemed bonkers to me is that he joined the company around the collapse in 2008 so this was all in that wake of that happening but his section actually flourished as a result.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Opr; 09-03-24, 11:45.

Comment

Sure we'll go again in a bit
                                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

lol all the west wing box set owning bobble head advisors getting >150K couldn’t grasp the basic rule that low stakes referendums need to be bundled with elections.
                                                                                                                          expect to hear a lot of “backwards step for Ireland”, “people didn’t understand” “ the far right are rising” “disinformation “, may even get some guff about the Russians too.

anything but we fucked up.bigly

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X