This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    Anyone familiar with this Theresa Tracey story?
    Jailed for contempt of court for not allowing ESB to run overland cables on her land.
    She refused the deal offered (€150k) and her neighbours didnt.
    I was in Court one of the days she was contesting the ESB. I really don't want to say too much as the woman is entitled to her privacy but she was given every possibly opportunity to sort this mess out and she just won't. She appears to have an extraordinary attachment to a small stand of trees on her land and doesn't want to let the ESB through.
    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
      Hi guy's in the middle of reading that Kill everyone book, thanks to the people that hooked me up, it refers alot to a book called "Kill Phil"

Again i'm going to ask if our cousin's have it???

Thank You
      no need to bother, kill everyone is an updated version of kill phil with the elky inputs, your not missing anything there at all. What you might wanna look into next is "raisers edge" the new one from the same team-Elky, Nelson and Tony dunst 'bond18'. Some really good advanced tornie concepts bit more relevant todays game

Comment

Front page of the Irish Sun...
        Attached Files
        Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by Midnitekowby View Post
          no need to bother, kill everyone is an updated version of kill phil with the elky inputs, your not missing anything there at all. What you might wanna look into next is "raisers edge" the new one from the same team-Elky, Nelson and Tony dunst 'bond18'. Some really good advanced tornie concepts bit more relevant todays game
          Interested in both books if they are about.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
            Despite how well you write your position, I remain fundamentally in disagreement with it. The other nations that you correctly cite as integral to achieving concessions in 1931 remain in the Commonwealth, and threw their oar in during World War 2. The fact of armed agitation completely changed the game in my estimation.
            FYP for you there.

The impact of the 1916 Rising is often massively overstated due, in no small part, to the fact that it suited the political elite on both sides, pro and anti Treaty, following the said Treaty to cast the 1916 moment in much the same light as Americans today see their "Founding Fathers", both claiming some great legacy and responsibility that flowed from it.

1916 itself, despite any hindsight about blood sacrifice, was not really the seminal moment as much as the British reaction to it was. This did not happen in a vacuum however. The reason people spat in the streets at the rebels wasn't because they loved the British Crown but rather because there were hundreds of thousands of Irish Volunteers fighting in France and these rebels were, by their own admission, seizing on the opportunity to attack the British. Beyond that they had caused the centre of Dublin (a residential area as much as a commercial one at the time) to be reduced to rubble.

The British reaction to the rebellion did cause a shift in opinion against the British but the simple fact is that the shift was happening anyway. The conduct of the First World War, which caused British citizens to dislike the British Government nevermind Irish citizens, was the backdrop to the opinion change. The people may have been more inclined to Republicanism after 1916 but the Easter Rising wasn't even where most Irish people died in armed conflict that week. You are taking a shockingly myopic view of the entire incident.

Sinn Fein benefited in the 1918 elections due, in no small part, to their stated position refusing to sit in Westminster (harking back to boycott tactics of the Land League) and, in particular, their staunch opposition to conscription. Coupled with the fact that Redmond had urged Irish soldiers to fight in the war and that the people who actually went and died formed the hardcore of support for the IPP and the people they left behind, widows and grieving families, would never vote for Redmond again meant that a Sinn Fein victory was likely even had 1916 never occurred.

I completely agree with you that armed agitation played a significant role in shaping modern Ireland but to suggest that it was absolutely necessary in the pursuit of a Republic is simply false.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
              I was in Court one of the days she was contesting the ESB. I really don't want to say too much as the woman is entitled to her privacy but she was given every possibly opportunity to sort this mess out and she just won't. She appears to have an extraordinary attachment to a small stand of trees on her land and doesn't want to let the ESB through.
              Underground cabling was her counter proposal according to the newspapers.
              That the Daily Mail, indymedia are the main carriers of the story and a smaller piece in the broadsheets kinda deterred me from looking too much into it.
              However, sorting the mess out still seems an odd thing to say.
              I'm not sure of the law here but can the ESB or any semi state infrastructure build on your land without permission?
              I agree the picture being painted in the press is they want to destroy a forest of trees and I understand that is hyperbole but I still find it hard to believe that a company or agency can just decide to go through your land and there isnt a thing you can do about it.
              Again, my information is coming from the press (jail the bankers not o.a.ps type slant)
              so I'm probably not getting all the facts
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The conduct of the First World War, which caused British citizens to dislike the British Government nevermind Irish citizens
                Cliffs?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                  Cliffs?
                  Dulce et decorum est/Donkeys leading lions type stuff I'd imagine.
                  The overwhelming stupidity of the 'over the top' maneuver etc etc
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Cliffs?
                    lions donkeys sundry farmyard animals
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

That the Daily Mail, indymedia are the main carriers of the story and a smaller piece in the broadsheets kinda deterred me from looking too much into it.
                      However, sorting the mess out still seems an odd thing to say.
                      I'm not sure of the law here but can the ESB or any semi state infrastructure build on your land without permission?I agree the picture being painted in the press is they want to destroy a forest of trees and I understand that is hyperbole but I still find it hard to believe that a company or agency can just decide to go through your land and there isnt a thing you can do about it.
                      Again, my information is coming from the press (jail the bankers not o.a.ps type slant)
                      so I'm probably not getting all the facts

yep they can through CPO's.

Comment

sorry Megatron, Kayroo now has a perpetual lease upon the internet

Comment

Dulce et decorum est/Donkeys leading lions type stuff I'd imagine.
                          The overwhelming stupidity of the 'over the top' maneuver etc etc
                          I'll hear no bad word spoken about the over the top maneuver, that gave us Blackadder Goes Forth.

Comment

It's still a disgrace if it's their land. Doesn't the law protect against this?

Comment

Cliffs?
                              Read: Siegfried Sassoon, Wilfred Owen et al.

Base Details (1918) (Siegfried Sassoon)
                              If I were fierce, and bald, and short of breath,
                              I’d live with scarlet Majors at the Base,
                              And speed glum heroes up the line to death.
                              You’d see me with my puffy petulant face,
                              Guzzling and gulping in the best hotel,
                              Reading the Roll of Honour. ‘Poor young chap,’
                              I’d say—‘I used to know his father well;
                              Yes, we’ve lost heavily in this last scrap.’
                              And when the war is done and youth stone dead,
                              I’d toddle safely home and die—in bed.

Also, and this cannot be understated, Churchill's disaster at Gallipoli helped to marry the military and political elites in many people's minds and the First Lord of the Admiralty was a political position.

Comment

looking for a recommendation BBV

want a hotel for a family break during the first week of Nov. (half-term), 2 adults, 2 small kids, 1 baby

absolute must-have: swimming pool suitable for kids

preferable: kids play area, within 2 hours of Dublin, either in or near a nice town

somewhere like Lyrath would be ideal but not there

Comment

Pretty sure I wrote about that poem for my Junior Cert! Always liked it.

TY for the reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

want a hotel for a family break during the first week of Nov. (half-term), 2 adults, 2 small kids, 1 baby

preferable: kids play area, within 2 hours of Dublin, either in or near a nice town

Stick on an extra hour to journey time and go to Kerry, it's incomparably awesome.

SPOILER

Comment

Read: Siegfried Sassoon, Wilfred Owen et al.

Base Details (1918) (Siegfried Sassoon)
                                      If I were fierce, and bald, and short of breath,
                                      I’d live with scarlet Majors at the Base,
                                      And speed glum heroes up the line to death.
                                      You’d see me with my puffy petulant face,
                                      Guzzling and gulping in the best hotel,
                                      Reading the Roll of Honour. ‘Poor young chap,’
                                      I’d say—‘I used to know his father well;
                                      Yes, we’ve lost heavily in this last scrap.’
                                      And when the war is done and youth stone dead,
                                      I’d toddle safely home and die—in bed.

Also, and this cannot be understated, Churchill's disaster at Gallipoli helped to marry the military and political elites in many people's minds and the First Lord of the Admiralty was a political position.
                                      don't underestimate the wider changes taking place in the world at the time;

Russian revolution, womens emancipation (ironically in part due to the war), wider and better standards of education etc etc

the cracks were opening up in the societal framework anyway, the conduct of nutters like Haig and Gough only exacerbated that

the British Communist Party was very strong in the inter-war years

Comment

Apart from the fact that they'd still need to cut down the trees to lay the underground cabling and that the ESB adduced evidence the method they have chosen is the most efficient/cost effective method available (something they are statutorily required to do) it still wouldn't be practical as the ESB would still require access to the cables in future for maintenance.

Beyond all that, having actually seen the woman in Court, while I do have some sympathy for her quite genuine attachment to those trees there was any number of things she could have done to save herself all this grief and she did none of them.

Those cables have to be built over somebody's land RasTa. If everyone refused how do you propose the ESB ever supply the power to anyone? There has to be a mechanism to allow necessary works on private land and she is, unfortunately, the person who will suffer and have to take the €150,000 compensation.

Comment

Ritz Carlton powerscourt.
                                          Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Stick on an extra hour to journey time and go to Kerry, it's incomparably awesome.
                                            I love Kerry but these lads have ruined it for me

plus it rains all the time and you talk quare

Comment

Pretty sure I wrote about that poem for my Junior Cert! Always liked it.

TY for the reminder.
                                              You almost certainly did write about it. His books "Memoirs of an Infantry Officer" and "Memoirs of a Fox Hunting Man" (one of Hugh Laurie's favourite books and, incidentally, one of mine) are also quite excellent.

Comment

I love Kerry but these lads have ruined it for me

plus it rains all the time and you talk quare
                                                lol, obv don't go to South Kerry - the west is where it's at.

Srsly, go to Dingle - it's unreal.

No arguments about the talking quare though, I can write up a translation guide if you want but the main thing you need to know is when you haven't got a clue what someone is saying to you just give a slight grimace, throw your head back in a sort of reverse-nod gesture and say "peyore".

Comment

Doesn't he want a swimming pool in November? Guessing it's a two hour flight from Dublin?

Go to Egypt, it will be cheaper.

Comment

Reminds me, must drop it up to you soon. Will give it another quick skim and have it up to you within the next week. Cheers man
                                                    Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                        Doesn't he want a swimming pool in November? Guessing it's a two hour flight from Dublin?

probably cheaper to just buy Egypt, the country, than take a room at the Ritz-Carlton

Zod is a man of expensive tastes it would appear

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post

There's a good chance I didn't read his post properly.

Comment

im getting very nervous about this Italy game.....

Comment

Wexford would be within the 2 hour mark, I wouldn't suggest Wexford town though casue that's where Richie is!!

Serious some nice place's in Wexford Whitford house is nice along with the talbot Hotel i Think got re-done both i think have pool's whitford def has play area for kids

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                pfft, dry ball, passionate but limited Italian team, proven matchwinners in most positions

cakewalk, Ireland by 20. Really should be at least that if you do a man-by-man matchup. How many Eye-talians would get into our XV? Parisse?

Comment

How about Carlingford?

Oh and Dingle is savage, but a long drive...especially with kids!!!
                                                                  Last edited by TomD; 30-09-11, 12:40.

Comment

pfft, dry ball, passionate but limited Italian team, proven matchwinners in most positions

cakewalk, Ireland by 20. Really should be at least that if you do a man-by-man matchup. How many Eye-talians would get into our XV? Parisse?
                                                                    I was just about to agree with you, then I sighed and remembered that's pretty much what I said about the All Ireland final. Lame.

Kerry still > Dublin in case anyone didn't already know.

Comment

Im sure the Australians were thinking the same thing about us!!! I really hope POC is fit it would really put my mind at ease

Comment

Churchill's disaster at Gallipoli helped to marry the military and political elites in many people's minds and the First Lord of the Admiralty was a political position.
                                                                        as was, interestingly, Secretary of the Navy (and, even more so, Assistant Secretary of the Navy - held by both Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt) in the US

we must play poker together some time soon and tilt all the players at our table by our recital of completely useless information

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                                          How about Carlingford?
                                                                          yep, be there in an hour

what's the hotel?

Comment

Thanks for that

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                            Interested in both books if they are about.
                                                                            +1

K EO = check Pm

Comment

Is your house in there Keane.
                                                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

yep, be there in an hour

what's the hotel?
                                                                                I stayed in the four seasons which has a pool...but you can rent a cottage holiday home and dump the kids in the lough!

Comment

Castro too

Comment

probably cheaper to just buy Egypt, the country, than take a room at the Ritz-Carlton

Zod is a man of expensive tastes it would appear
                                                                                    pfft, nothing is too expensive when corporate are putting you up to support a conference.

Lovely steak in the Gordon Ramsay restaurant.

Comment

in reality, get your kids used to the economic times ahead and go to trabolgan.

Comment

post #30,000 coming up soon.

hmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                          There is obviously nothing to worry about seeing as PP already have us as favourites for the QF here

Comment

Originally posted by DJKendo View Post
                                                                                            post #30,000 coming up soon.

hmmmm
                                                                                            have we not been here before????

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
                                                                                              Is your house in there Keane.
                                                                                              No dude, I'm from the mean streets of Tralee.

It's not the most aesthetic town tbh and there's not much to really recommend it in all honesty. I think if Tralee had a bit more size and activity I'd probably never want to live anywhere else, because Kerry genuinely is gorgeous.

Still toying with the idea of eventually moving home to take over the family business down the road, but obv there's an awful lot of variables to that one.

Comment

It's not the most aesthetic town tbh and there's not much to really recommend it in all honesty. I think if Tralee had a bit more size and activity I'd probably never want to live anywhere else, because Kerry genuinely is gorgeous.

Still toying with the idea of eventually moving home to take over the family business down the road, but obv there's an awful lot of variables to that one.
                                                                                                Because i'm nosey i have 2 questions

1. what is the family business??
                                                                                                2. what are the variables??

Comment

Is that the pub or a different business?
                                                                                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

rag and bone

pickup in the rag and bone trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                      rag and bone

pickup in the rag and bone trade.
                                                                                                      is rag and bone kerry talk for drug trade???

Comment

On a similar theme but with the Bogs and that Gaza Strip clip from that Fool Flanagan last night:

LOL at the imbecile in the report whinging about how it was only costing her 300 a year for her turf while turning down €1000 a year compensation.

The 300 its costing her doesn't include all the labour and diesel she uses. She could easily have that delivered for less than 700 and pocket the balance or if she's so attached to the hardship involved she can take an alternative plot instead of the money.
                                                                                                        I wish Deenihan and the rest of them weren't hiding behind the Europe is making us do this bullshit and were more proactive in pushing the 'This is a small thing we are doing and a good thing' line.

Did I post this already? An assclown* down near me put up a couple of these :

My plan is to retaliate by either defacing his signs or attaching another one.
                                                                                                        At first I was thinking of the more direct
                                                                                                        "FUCK OFF you fool ! Saving a tiny part of our natural landscape in return for an alternative site or €1000 a year is nothing like the 1893 you fucking illiterate imbecile.

The Illiterate bit was to go with a different sign where he spelt 'Piece' 'Peace'

But instead I'll probably go for the more prosaic :
                                                                                                        Save our Boglands- Take the Soup

*Said Assclown is a relation of an IPB'er but I wouldn't shame someone who we all hope will be heading the UKIPT leaderboard this weekend with the association
                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

give them a bag and send them out to pick up lumps of coal off the road imo

Comment

as was, interestingly, Secretary of the Navy (and, even more so, Assistant Secretary of the Navy - held by both Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt) in the US

we must play poker together some time soon and tilt all the players at our table by our recital of completely useless information
                                                                                                            Sunday game in the SE? We can have a trivia measuring contest. I'll even tell you where the word trivia comes from!

Comment

100 times this.
                                                                                                              Or Banagh Beach

Good times....

Comment

I'm going to hunt down pgodkin and hurt him.

Also El Stuntman, Wexford is the most awesomest place on the emerald isle

Comment

My grandfather started a printing company back in the day, which my old man and the three brothers took over years ago. It's a good little business, but none of the cousins really seem all that interested in taking it over.

I could possibly see myself running it some day, and a lot of my thinking is that if they're managing to turn enough profit to keep the four of them happy, then just me on my own would probably be rolling in it!

Variables would be just stuff like how happy I end up being in Dublin, how my career gets going and if I eventually shack up with a girl whether or not she's be amenable to the idea.

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
                                                                                                                  Is that the pub or a different business?
                                                                                                                  The pub is my mom's venture. She just took it over a few months ago I think basically to have something to do. It's been going super-well for the first few months, but since the Rose of Tralee it's really quietened down.

That always happens in Tralee - people basically stay at home from the end of the festival till Halloween - but supposedly it's worse this year even compared to usual, and I think it's giving her second thoughts now.

Comment

Sunday game in the SE? We can have a trivia measuring contest. I'll even tell you where the word trivia comes from!
                                                                                                                    hmmm, Sunday

let me see;
                                                                                                                    • watch rugby
                                                                                                                    • make brunch
                                                                                                                    • buy present for princess tea party
                                                                                                                    • drop off a princess to a princess tea party
                                                                                                                    • take dinosaur-obsessed boy to St Annes to hunt dinosaurs
                                                                                                                    • pick up princess from princess party
                                                                                                                    • make dinner
                                                                                                                    • bathe princess and dino-boy
                                                                                                                    • put them into bed, read stories of gruffalos and such things
                                                                                                                    • put them back into bed when they get out
                                                                                                                    • open bottle of wine
                                                                                                                    • collapse

so, 'no'

Comment

Originally posted by The Hurricane View Post
                                                                                                                      obviously, the Stunt family hail from Enniscorthy

Comment

Originally posted by The Hurricane View Post
                                                                                                                        I'm going to hunt down pgodkin and hurt him.

Listen Townie!!! When I want to sound posh i'll say i'm from Kilmore but when i want to sound tough I say i'm from Bridgetown, So you can find me in Bridgetown - O I forgot out of town trip doesn't happen for taxi's till like 4:30am in the morning!! What to scared to come out in the day light???

Although will some what agree after living in dublin for a few year's wexford is better!!

Comment

obviously, the Stunt family hail from Enniscorthy
                                                                                                                          Not part of Wexford anymore. We got rid of it

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X