This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    To be honest, whilst Willie's wolfe tones-esque explanations of Irish history might not be factually 100%, I find Strewley's and Raoul's post colonial nostalgia downright ridiculous.
    TESTIFY

The attempts to characterise what was on the table before World War One as "independence" is bullshit historical revisionism of the worst kind.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Mary Davis ftw obv
      Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
        TESTIFY

The attempts to characterise what was on the table before World War One as "independence" is bullshit historical revisionism of the worst kind.
        Actually any reasonable comparison between the proposed form of Home Rule after the Parliament Act of 1911 and the eventual form of "free state" independence that we "fought and died for" after 1916 shows that the two are actually quite close. The 1922 Constitution in particular and the restraints on Irish Sovereignty before the Statute of Westminster really demonstrate that we spent the War of Independence fighting for one thing and then got negotiated under the table in London to accept something we had already won and which Lloyd George could easily sell to his party.
        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

My Mother. she is 61. loves to play poker and she aint to bad either for her local pub leauge, 6th for the yr at moment. 3 months left. anyhow she was out playing tonite. she gets a call to say that her house is being broken into. She arrives home to find the place ransacked and in bits.

I have an 18 yr old sister who lives at home and sometimes my other sis who is 23 and 7 months pregant stays there from time to time. Both were there this evo but both had later gone to there boyfreinds houses thank god. apperently there was a few of them. My mother lives in a village with about possibly 400 ppl in it.

Makes me sick to think what could have happened if my lil sis's were there or my Ma on her own.

CUNTS.
            http://www.sitnpoker.com/?amigosid=18

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
              Never thought I'd say this but Lucas is better
              He has been great, why is that surprising? Because 95% of fans have no clue when it comes to DM.

Mikel will be great, if he is allowed.

Originally posted by The Hurricane View Post
              lol, Hes a tree
              Yeah that's it Finkel he is a tree. You are one of that rare breed (unfortunately not that rare) who use taxi logic. Taxi logic is when a man who gives people lifts for a living and talks shite 24/7 has an opinion on everything and anything but is always wrong. You fall into this bracket, not because you are stupid but because you are stupid enough to drive a taxi. Therefore you have fallen into the bracket of a clueless muppet.

You have way too many opinions.

Your opinions are wrong most of the time.

As usual I lol at your football posts.

As usual you are wrong. (like when you post tips, you must be on commission from bookies, so wrong and full of fail)

Drive the taxi during the day and go to night school, save yourself. You stupid Neville.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggin&Zaggin View Post
                My Mother. she is 61. loves to play poker and she aint to bad either for her local pub leauge, 6th for the yr at moment. 3 months left. anyhow she was out playing tonite. she gets a call to say that her house is being broken into. She arrives home to find the place ransacked and in bits.

I have an 18 yr old sister who lives at home and sometimes my other sis who is 23 and 7 months pregant stays there from time to time. Both were there this evo but both had later gone to there boyfreinds houses thank god. apperently there was a few of them. My mother lives in a village with about possibly 400 ppl in it.

Makes me sick to think what could have happened if my lil sis's were there or my Ma on her own.

CUNTS.

They probably would have legged it and your house would have been left untouched tbh.

Comment

Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Theres CHD being serious and he knows his football to be fair. You are badly needed back on the soccer forum my friend. My days of trolling are over unfortunately and I need somebody to post that I can enjoy reading and all the impaired frontal lobe guys replying to.

Lloyd has tried his hand at the trolling of late and I have to admit he is very good at it. Only thing Lloyd is that you need to agree more with regular posters, it makes it more affective.

Up Sinn Fein! Howya Strewel!
                    Up FF, howya Stunty!

PS. CHD I personally think you are right about the Hurricane, this name, that name guy. He wants to troll but is just not intelligent enoiugh to pull it off.

For an expert see nicnicnic.

For a fictional expert see the charater CJ in The fall and rise of Reginald Perrin.
                    'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                      Theres CHD being serious and he knows his football to be fair. You are badly needed back on the soccer forum my friend. My days of trolling are over unfortunately and I need somebody to post that I can enjoy reading and all the impaired frontal lobe guys replying to.

Lloyd has tried his hand at the trolling of late and I have to admit he is very good at it. Only thing Lloyd is that you need to agree more with regular posters, it makes it more affective.

Up Sinn Fein! Howya Strewel!
                      Up FF, howya Stunty!

PS. CHD I personally think you are right about the Hurricane, this name, that name guy. He wants to troll but is just not intelligent enoiugh to pull it off.

For an expert see nicnicnic.

For a fictional expert see the charater CJ in The fall and rise of Reginald Perrin.
                      Oh to be trolling the SF again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggin&Zaggin

CUNTS.
                        Reading the first paragraph, I thought you were going to say that when she arrived home the house was fine and one of the other old lady players had pulled some sick burgerly angleshoot to take her out of the league.

Sorry to hear it was not the case.

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
                        I'm sligtly shortsighted, and I seen Einstein.
                        So I took a few steps back, and still seen Einstein.
                        I shook my head and cursed you a little bit for wasting my time.
                        Then I took off my glasses and seen Marilyn Monroe

Comment

If you squint you see Monroe with a moustache.

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                            If you squint you see Monroe with a moustache.
                            Pic proves my point that she wasn't all that.

She looked like a nerd/kayroo. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              I'm sligtly shortsighted, and I seen Einstein.
                              So I took a few steps back, and still seen Einstein.
                              I shook my head and cursed you a little bit for wasting my time.
                              Then I took off my glasses and seen Marilyn Monroe
                              As I was backing away from the laptop I began to think it would have been a sick good troll.
                              Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

just tossed a bottle sitting on worktop with my arse walking backwards

thank fek it was empty

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                  just tossed a bottle sitting on worktop with my arse walking backwards

thank fek it was empty
                                  Living up to your name.

I hope I don't.

Comment

played my last online poker till Killarney .......I think !

wasnt gonna shave (and atm have a nice beard going) till i won a mtt

won $25ds tonight on boylepoker but wanna keep the beard now

small cash in 30k $30rb and FT in $7rb ( 3rd FT in a row in that)

gonna transfer some funds to sports book and assume that if needed i can then withdraw from BOYLES 'bookies' in Killarney?

gonna keep beard and get a No 1 on head btw tmw .....just in case i fall down ppl will know which way is up

Comment

gonna keep beard and get a No 1 on head btw tmw .....just in case i fall down ppl will know which way is up

Comment

This is freaky!!!

Comment

now in bed rotating phone looking at a strange man! Was warned about the BBV Thread..,..

Comment

that was good lifted me out of it was half asleep lookin at it

Comment

played my last online poker till Killarney .......I think !

wasnt gonna shave (and atm have a nice beard going) till i won a mtt

won $25ds tonight on boylepoker but wanna keep the beard now

small cash in 30k $30rb and FT in $7rb ( 3rd FT in a row in that)

gonna transfer some funds to sports book and assume that if needed i can then withdraw from BOYLES 'bookies' in Killarney? gonna keep beard and get a No 1 on head btw tmw .....just in case i fall down ppl will know which way is up
                                              Make sure you bring ID and Know both your Username and nickname and u shouldnt have any bother's, Really handy!!
                                              Last edited by pgodkin; 29-09-11, 06:55.

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                                                Ya you will, if Porto had won the bet would be settled as a treble as match was void (no B.I.R price taken). Managed a bookies for a bit and came across this a couple of times although you might have to argue your case depending on who you dealing with.
                                                Thanks sure I'll give it a try anyway, I would prefer if it was PP or Laddies but sure maybe that won't matter. Will report back anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                  Actually any reasonable comparison between the proposed form of Home Rule after the Parliament Act of 1911 and the eventual form of "free state" independence that we "fought and died for" after 1916 shows that the two are actually quite close. The 1922 Constitution in particular and the restraints on Irish Sovereignty before the Statute of Westminster really demonstrate that we spent the War of Independence fighting for one thing and then got negotiated under the table in London to accept something we had already won and which Lloyd George could easily sell to his party.
                                                  Having your own armed forces and fundamental diplomatic autonomy allowed the leverage to gradually roll ourselves into complete sovereignty over the subsequent decades. Additionally, the distinction in how the Free State was achieved (i.e. through our initiative) was a psychological aid to the moves we made before World War II. This type of 'what if' historical analysis is dangerous to engage in (as you would be well aware Keith), but I feel it is very reasonable to posit that we would not have been in a position to maintain neutrality during the Second World War if we were a 'Home Rule' Ireland.
                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Anyone recommend a hotel in london near victoria that wouldnt break the bank.
                                                    Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                      He has been great, why is that surprising? Because 95% of fans have no clue when it comes to DM.

Mikel will be great, if he is allowed.

Yeah that's it Finkel he is a tree. You are one of that rare breed (unfortunately not that rare) who use taxi logic. Taxi logic is when a man who gives people lifts for a living and talks shite 24/7 has an opinion on everything and anything but is always wrong. You fall into this bracket, not because you are stupid but because you are stupid enough to drive a taxi. Therefore you have fallen into the bracket of a clueless muppet.

You have way too many opinions.

Your opinions are wrong most of the time.

As usual I lol at your football posts.

As usual you are wrong. (like when you post tips, you must be on commission from bookies, so wrong and full of fail)

Drive the taxi during the day and go to night school, save yourself. You stupid Neville.
                                                      Lol. Taxi logic. What are you on about. You say it like it's a crime to be working.

But then again it probably is to you. I've met many of your kind during my time aquiring this taxi logic.

Drop them off at the bookies at 11am, let them back a few virtual races, read up on sports in the free racing post in there so they will have some material for your dole queue chats where you and your pals lol at the people who work for a living

Then after you have enjoyed a few 'well earned' pints after your half hour waiting to be handed your wages you wander home to watch more sports mixed with some Jeremy Kyle on your most likely unlicensed TV if you even have one and again lol at the misfortune you see.

The reason you stalk this place late at night is because you have to, not because you want to, because when your alone, in the quiet, in the dark and you think/dream about your pathetic life and bleak hopeless future, the only thing that stops you topping yourself is to jeer people on the internet

And if writing LOL Finkel keeps you around for even one more day then your welcome to keep it up and I'll just have to accept that I'm just another one of those 'fools' that works for a living

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                        Before converting to .pdf reduce the pic's file sizes by opening individually in 'paint'(start/programs/accessories/paint) and then just 'save as'. Convert to .pdf after doing this.
                                                        Acrobat has an auto reduce file size feature(documents/reduce file size) which is the easier way but it wont be reduced as much as the other way.
                                                        Great will try that when i get home this evening.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Having your own armed forces and fundamental diplomatic autonomy allowed the leverage to gradually roll ourselves into complete sovereignty over the subsequent decades. Additionally, the distinction in how the Free State was achieved (i.e. through our initiative) was a psychological aid to the moves we made before World War II. This type of 'what if' historical analysis is dangerous to engage in (as you would be well aware Keith), but I feel it is very reasonable to posit that we would not have been in a position to maintain neutrality during the Second World War if we were a 'Home Rule' Ireland.
                                                          Wow! You say that ilke it was a good thing
                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                            Wow! You say that ilke it was a good thing
                                                            It was a good thing in that it demonstrated how far we had come as an Independent nation. Irish people were still free to head off and join in the conflict if they wished to do so, but not getting obliterated in bombing raids and avoiding the consequent loss of innocent life on a mass scale was absolutely a great thing for the people of Ireland at that time.

I have no truck with anyone who would have preferred massive loss of Irish life in bombing raids and / or the destruction of towns and cities up and down the nation so that we could throw our oar in against Hitler on an official level.

As is well known, Ireland's policies were tilted towards the Allies during the conflict, and Irish people still fought and died on the front in British uniforms. The fact that we exercised an element of self determination within the whole ordeal was absolutely a great thing though, yes.

Comment

Looking for plastic casing that goes over loose cables on floors so no one will trip on them. Anyone know who supplies these?

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                                Looking for plastic casing that goes over loose cables on floors so no one will trip on them. Anyone know who supplies these?
                                                                This kind of thing ?
                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                                  Most electrical shops should have them, cable tidies, cable cases or something similar

Comment

pre-ttyy good.

Marc Martel of the band Downhere performs Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody with members of Renaissance Church in Summit, NJ.http://www.renaissancechurch.org/
                                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

DONT CHEAT AND USE GOOGLE.

Anyone know what Pat Clifton did for a living?

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                        DONT CHEAT AND USE GOOGLE.

Anyone know what Pat Clifton did for a living?
                                                                        I cheated.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                          Next up Eagle Eye will be doing a 'Ask me anything about anything' thread.
                                                                          When Eagle Eye backs up someone's posts on here I always picture the 'Eddie Mush' scene from Bronx Tale You kinda don't want him to support you, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Holly Willoughby looking tremendous this morning.

Comment

was pat clifton not the hairy milkman out of father ted? and i didnt cheat, though my answer probably confirms this

Comment

Originally posted by davidadams View Post
                                                                                was pat clifton not the hairy milkman out of father ted? and i didnt cheat, though my answer probably confirms this
                                                                                You're thinking of Pat Mustard.

Comment

Originally posted by davidadams View Post
                                                                                  Afraid not, pat mustard??

Comment

Is that Postman Pat's name?

Comment

Absolutely ridiculous last night of the season in baseball. Rays needed a win and a Red Sox loss to make the play offs. Sox just needed to avoid either to get it. Rays are down by 7 and tie it up with a home run in the bottom of the 9th, then win it with a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 12th. Meanwhile Boston lose to a walk off hit after going into the 9th leading by a run!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                        Absolutely ridiculous last night of the season in baseball. Rays needed a win and a Red Sox loss to make the play offs. Sox just needed to avoid either to get it. Rays are down by 7 and tie it up with a home run in the bottom of the 9th, then win it with a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 12th. Meanwhile Boston lose to a walk off hit after going into the 9th leading by a run!
                                                                                        How do you get to the 12th is that like extra time?

Comment

Angela gets her bail out passed. This Can has been has been kicked down the road so many times its looking pretty worn out.

Raoul, I'm confused again please remind me what I want to happen next

Why are they all holding up packets of Blue Rizla Are they trying to tell us something?

Comment

Is that Postman Pat's name?
                                                                                            [X] Googled it

Comment

How do you get to the 12th is that like extra time?
                                                                                              Yep if its tied after 9 they keep playing sudden death until there's a winner.

Comment

Comment

Raoul, I'm confused again please remind me what I want to happen next
                                                                                                  you want gravity to cease existing
                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Why are they all holding up packets of Blue Rizla Are they trying to tell us something?
                                                                                                    they're voting you twat

Comment

The way they hold up the Blue Rizlas in Merkels face to show they voted for her side is sychophantic stuff that reminds me of Fianna Fail at their worst.

Theres a few shifty looking guys in the background as well, clearly hiding their Red Rizlas in their pockets.

Comment

Cliffs on what they're voting for?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                          The thing aboutArsenal is they always try to walk it in

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                            Cliffs on what they're voting for?
                                                                                                            basically the second Greek bailout

i.e. they are voting to burn money on a scale that even V for Vendetta in a BMW showroom would be shocked by

Comment

Originally posted by The Hurricane View Post
                                                                                                              Lol. Taxi logic. What are you on about. You say it like it's a crime to be working.

But then again it probably is to you. I've met many of your kind during my time aquiring this taxi logic.

Drop them off at the bookies at 11am, let them back a few virtual races, read up on sports in the free racing post in there so they will have some material for your dole queue chats where you and your pals lol at the people who work for a living

Then after you have enjoyed a few 'well earned' pints after your half hour waiting to be handed your wages you wander home to watch more sports mixed with some Jeremy Kyle on your most likely unlicensed TV if you even have one and again lol at the misfortune you see.

The reason you stalk this place late at night is because you have to, not because you want to, because when your alone, in the quiet, in the dark and you think/dream about your pathetic life and bleak hopeless future, the only thing that stops you topping yourself is to jeer people on the internet

And if writing LOL Finkel keeps you around for even one more day then your welcome to keep it up and I'll just have to accept that I'm just another one of those 'fools' that works for a living
                                                                                                              Lol you go into the bookies with them at 11am to back a few virtual dogs you degen lord.
                                                                                                              Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                                                                              I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                                                                              None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                [X] Googled it
                                                                                                                No need, as soon as the Pat Mustard suggestion came up it flashed into my head. 20 + Years ago Postman Pat was a very big part of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                                                                  Anyone recommend a hotel in london near victoria that wouldnt break the bank.
                                                                                                                  I stayed here before. Was fairly nice and wasnt too expensive.

Great savings on hotels in London, United Kingdom online. Good availability and great rates. Read hotel reviews and choose the best hotel deal for your stay.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by shano_88; 29-09-11, 10:47.

Comment

Last nights Newsnight report from Greece was powerful stuff.
                                                                                                                    The behaviour of some arrogant inbred Daily Mail know nothing Journo called Oborne in a discussion was interesting.
                                                                                                                    The level of hubris amongst fools like him really makes me want to see the € pull out of this better and stronger. It could happen.

Comment

No need, as soon as the Pat Mustard suggestion came up it flashed into my head. 20 + Years ago Postman Pat was a very big part of my life.
                                                                                                                      Do any of your offspring bear a resemblence to him? Might explain the aversion to public servants.

Comment

got a mail from a returning friend from abroad .(was on the to list of about 20). One line tickled me somewhat.

"I’m around Friday 14th October for those of you who’d be interesting in getting together for a night out" . I replied all of course ruling out several of the 'boring' people on the list as they are not very interesting at all. That book 'how to make friends and influence people' was a load of shite imo. OMG, do you suppose she meant 'Interested' ? recall recall. (meh let it ride)

some peoples please add on some new acoustic music clips, if ye get a chance. Some of the stuff lately is really poor quality. I'd bin most of them. How do they get to production? A cousin of mine never saw/heard the Last Waltz I showered on him the envy that you 'wire' geeks shower on someone who hasn't watched the series.

Comment

The Armed Forces thing meant fuck all to be fair. By World War II DeValera was having his picture taken inspecting cardboard artillery so the English and Germans would think we might actually be able to put up some sort of fight.

The real key is the highlighted section, although not to the degree that some commentators have made out. Joe Walsh in the Department of External Affairs (as it then was) did sterling work with the various ministers to score what were, essentially, cheap diplomatic points that added up to something much more.

The 1 genuine achievement in that period was the passing of the Statute of Westminster in 1931. Along with the 1911 Parliament Act it is one of the 2 most important pieces of legislation the British Government passed in relation to Ireland. However, no matter what Irish historians like to say, it was a Canadian rather than an Irish victory. With a Home Rule government and the Statute of Westminster in place Ireland could just have easily achieved its full independence.

Remember Lloyd that it was only the Statute of Westminster that allowed the Irish people to vote on a replacement for the 1922 Constitution as the abdication crisis, and some terrible drafting of the 1922 Constitution, allowed DeValera to take out any mention of the King or Crown from the dictated '22 version and subsequently introduce an amendment to the Constitution allowing the Irish people to repeal it by national plebiscite.

"What if" history is always a bad idea for any number of reasons ("history is what the facts force us to believe" - Marc Bloch) but in this instance an easy picture is painted. The key event on the road to Irish sovereignty was not the War of Independence, it was the Commonwealth Conference that lead to the Statute of Westminster. The Canadians lead the march to Irish freedom in many respects.

Ireland's role in that conference is undoubtedly important, just as the roles of India, Australia, New Zealand, Newfoundland and South Africa were equally vital but it was Canada that managed that breakthrough, not the rest of us. It is absolutely arguable that had Ireland not had an existing diplomatic corp that it would have made no difference to the outcome of that conference. For one I don't believe that. I think the Irish did play a role in the negotiations. Also, as a catalyst for Canadian desires for equality with the British parliament the Irish war of independence may have been a contributory factor but that has never been hypothesized in any work I am aware of.

I think your concluding point about neutrality is utter nonsense.

Statute of Westminster is passed in 1931. In 1932 De Valera comes to power for the 1st time and immediately begins a process of Constitutional reform by dismantling the 1922 Constitution. The Oath, the restriction on amendments, the Seanad, all gone. In 1936, around the time of the abdication crisis, DeValera leapt on the opportunity to remove all references to the King and Crown and in 1937 introduces a new Constitution, Bunreacht na hEireann, essentially making Ireland a Republic in all but name and which includes a provision declaring Ireland's neutrality.

All of those things could just as easily have happened under the proposed system of Home Rule and, in fact, the enormous animosity towards DeValera personally from the British Government, which created innumerable foreign relations problems during the period, would likely have been avoided.

Of course the counter-argument is that DeValera wouldn't have been the man in charge if 1916 had not occurred so it's all speculation really. But the general landscape which allowed us to remain neutral would have existed even if we had accepted Home Rule rather than the Treaty.
                                                                                                                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X