X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
    On the whole Uprising / Martin Mcguiness thing my belief is:

Up till the point that we our leaders or the people who were in charge of everything did the deal for the 26 counties, ths was Ireland fighting for it freedom and anything that happened was more or less war, losses on both side's RIP

Everything after the point of when the deal was made, the trouble's in the north etc has been an act of terrisom and as such if McGuinness is ever elected to the office of president I will give up on Ireland as a nation

my view of this FYI
    How convenient for you that that is where the line is drawn and fcuk the poor souls in the 6 occupied countys, sorry lads you didnt make the cut now bend over and take it from the commonwealth

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
      How convenient for you that that is where the line is drawn and fcuk the poor souls in the 6 occupied countys, sorry lads you didnt make the cut now bend over and take it from the commonwealth
      including the majority that define themselves as British I suppose?
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
          Pretty much this.
          convincing stuff there Professor!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            also, the convenient fiction that is the popular myth of 1916 wouldn't have been rammed down our throats as 'the' seminal moment in Irish history.

1916 was a laughable exercise in delusion, poor planning and fantasy. No-one bought it at the time but it's amazing what rose-tinted spectacles will do. The same applies to McGuinness and his 'career'.
            Begs the question how do they portray the Falklands, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. in the British eduaction system.

FWIW I do agrere that 1916 was a deluded poorly planed charade but it was directly or indirectly the spark that lit the fuse.

Comment

Never knew this but heard at lunchtime around a discussion on colonial misdeeds in Africa in the 1800s ( a new book out on stanley et al) that a descendant of John Jameson went doolally in the dark continent and bought a 11 year old slave girl gave her to a local tribe so they could cook her and sat there and made drawings of the whole scene. Thats something i missed on the tour in the old distillery and would have loved to ask that question as they brought out the €130 bottle for sale.
              Apparently there is a play about colonialism called The Rear Column by Simon Gray that mentions it. From wikipedia Jeremy Irons played Jameson in one staging of the play. After reading Adsman's exploits on 2+2 on Uganda etc it looks like as bad as things were in the 1990s they were a cakewalk from the 1800s...

Comment

bought this yesterday and used it in a stew .......superb

Comment

Comment

including the majority that define themselves as British I suppose?
                    If i overtake a house in Dublin through squatters rights and by fcukin out the true owner on their arses and then precede to fill the house with polish people does that house become part of Poland??

Comment

If i overtake a house in Dublin through squatters rights and by fcukin out the true owner on their arses and then precede to fill the house with polish people does that house become part of Poland??
                      wow

I would love to hear your thoughts on incorporating the unionist majority in NI into a 32-county republic

Comment

Pretty much this.
                        No. Just no.
                        Nothing at all nostalgic or colonial about it.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          Its sad and quite pathetic that anyone still retains Willies narrow prescriptive and deluded version of what Irishness is.
                          What is my view then ? tell me ? What is my take on Irishness? I defend it when it is being castigated almost insulted when compared to our neighbours across the water. I don't go out of my way to mention the past conflict, you guys bring it up. Constantly in the BBV people refer to how better off we'd be if the English ruled us. If I find that insulting well then you pegged me correctly. I'm that narrow minded. You on the other hand disappoint me, as a bloke you seem friendly and engaging in person but your views on Ireland are in colflict to my views . If you aren't preceptive enough to actually understand why someone with an education can have my views on his own country there is nothing I can do about it.

Comment

I would personally look at whatever Dutch bank has the highest credit rating (maybe a state-run one?). The country is about the economically soundest there is in the eurozone.

A more convenient option might be a Citibank euro account.
                            Thanks. I'll look into it now.

Comment

Ah now, come on! The Ulster Plantation happened more than 400 years ago!!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantation_of_Ulster

Should they be sent back? If so, how far back do we look; kick the Normans out of Ireland? I'm a Burke, so we'd get rid of me, all the Fitzgeralds, Barrys, Jennings, Fitzwilliams, Roches, Walshes, etc etc etc etc..., probably half the country!

Comment

Comment

A few lads went out against the biggest empire in the world and won us freedom from 700 years of oppression. That's essentially what happened and its a good story.
                                  I've read Dora the Explorer books with more depth to them

Do you really think that's what happened?

Comment

Comment

I would personally look at whatever Dutch bank has the highest credit rating (maybe a state-run one?). The country is about the economically soundest there is in the eurozone.

A more convenient option might be a Citibank euro account.
                                      Supposedly you can fly into Amsterdam and quite easily open up an account in the airport Rabobank branch, flying out the same day if you prefer. I'm not at that stage yet (and hopefully things won't get that serious), still have my savings divided between a number of Irish-based, foreign banks (such as Nationwide UK (Ireland) and Rabodirect) and Keytrade.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                          Ah now, come on! The Ulster Plantation happened more than 400 years ago!!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantation_of_Ulster

Should they be sent back? If so, how far back do we look; kick the Normans out of Ireland? I'm a Burke, so we'd get rid of me, all the Fitzgeralds, Barrys, Jennings, Fitzwilliams, Roches, Walshes, etc etc etc etc..., probably half the country!
                                          wow

I would love to hear your thoughts on incorporating the unionist majority in NI into a 32-county republic
                                          It was very much tounge in cheek lads, but one thing Raoul you speak of the unionist majority, the last election in 2010 it was 45% to 41% so not exactly overwhelming and closing all the time infact, so are you quite happy to say if and when the majority swings to the Nationalist side you would support a move to a 32 county republic?

Comment

It was very much tounge in cheek lads, but one thing Raoul you speak of the unionist majority, the last election in 2010 it was 45% to 41% so not exactly overwhelming and closing all the time infact, so are you quite happy to say if and when the majority swings to the Nationalist side you would support a move to a 32 county republic?
                                            it's already in the Belfast Agreement

Comment

Originally posted by EARMUFFS View Post
                                              Never knew this but heard at lunchtime around a discussion on colonial misdeeds in Africa in the 1800s ( a new book out on stanley et al) that a descendant of John Jameson went doolally in the dark continent and bought a 11 year old slave girl gave her to a local tribe so they could cook her and sat there and made drawings of the whole scene. Thats something i missed on the tour in the old distillery and would have loved to ask that question as they brought out the €130 bottle for sale.
                                              Apparently there is a play about colonialism called The Rear Column by Simon Gray that mentions it. From wikipedia Jeremy Irons played Jameson in one staging of the play. After reading Adsman's exploits on 2+2 on Uganda etc it looks like as bad as things were in the 1990s they were a cakewalk from the 1800s...
                                              Interesting stuff - I'm actually reading Heart of Darkness right now, for the very first time, pretty eye-opening to read Conrad's Narrator describe his thoughts on the 'savages' of the dark continent and realise that's how many in the West thought of them at the time (and undoubtedly some still do). Certainly, some Irish must have participated in the rape of Africa, though it's hardly likely that the details of this would make it into our primary or secondary level history syllabus

Looking forward to rewatching Apocalypse Now once I've finished with the book, to compare and contrast the two works.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                beside abrakebabra and not a beer garden but shop front opens out to the street.
                                                It also has another huge (underadvertised) selling point
                                                Wut?. The €3.50 pints?
                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Anyone who learned how to play nice can stay
                                                  We Normans, particularly we De Burgos > De Burghs > Burkes, slaughtered a fair whack of you common Gaels back in the day Though the old Burkes were also well known for being one of the first great Hiberno-Norman families to become 'more Irish than the Irish themselves', holed up in our castles in the West.

Out with the Burkes I say, those blood-thirsty foreign devils!

Comment

Interesting stuff - I'm actually reading Heart of Darkness right now, for the very first time, pretty eye-opening to read Conrad's Narrator describe his thoughts on the 'savages' of the dark continent and realise that's how many in the West thought of them at the time (and undoubtedly some still do). Certainly, some Irish must have participated in the rape of Africa, though it's hardly likely that the details of this would make it into our primary or secondary level history syllabus

Looking forward to rewatching Apocalypse Now once I've finished with the book, to compare and contrast the two works.
                                                    Heart of Darkness will give you some background to Apocalypse Now but that's all..the book to read before you watch AN is dispatches by michael herr thats what Milius based a lot of the dialogue on..what a book just immense..

Comment

Comment

Out with the Burkes I say, those blood-thirsty foreign devils!
                                                        speaking as a downtrodden Murphy, I heartily agree

'Clynes' now, that crew sounds foreign to me.....

According to de interweb, it's the name of a Scottish clan . Jaysus, Solksjaer came over in the Plantation! Away out of my country ye feckers

Comment

Is there a straightforward way to find out if you are Gael Norman Viking Hugenot etc? Tried searching the family name there, but just came across a lot of American geocities-style pages.
                                                          Try the site Semibluff's sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                            I'm afriad, I got it from my Liberty dwelling grandparents and not the Wolfe tones. It's 100% from the horses mouth. I have no reason to duobt any of their facts.

odds enough I hate SF.
                                                            My own family is from the liberties so I've heard a lot of the same.
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

speaking as a downtrodden Murphy, I heartily agree

'Clynes' now, that crew sounds foreign to me.....

According to de interweb, it's the name of a Scottish clan . Jaysus, Solksjaer came over in the Plantation! Away out of my country ye feckers
                                                              also found in poland germany and Canads, the Irish is MacGiollaclaoin.

What is it to be Irish in 2011? (or otherwise entitled UP YOURS STREWELPETER)

SPOILER
                                                              TO be Irish in 2011, is to be burdened with debt, burdened with the fear that violence could still break out in the remaining british occupied part of our country and both sides will lose innocent decent hard working friends and family.
                                                              It's still there at the back of our minds.
                                                              Burdened with the knowledge that just like in every country in the world we suffered at the hands of the greedy in power,
                                                              Our apathetic view to ploitics and finance allowed this to hsppen. However now we are more politically aware , more financially aware of the illusion of economy we enjoyed in recent years. We are armed with a well educated workforce,
                                                              We tolerate all religeons and creeds, we allow divorce, contraception , although not yet abortion. We are growing as a country and have had to grow up more in the past 5 years than the previous 20. Our new Governement is aware of the scrutiny it is under within and outside, our people have a mindset that will allow us to absorb the sternest of austerity. To be irish in 2011 is to be proud that we are yet still a developing country that has punched above our weight on the sportsfield for many years and are loved by many nations in the world. Our culture of music, literature, and arts are something to be proud of. We have the finest racehorses in the world. It's not all gloom and doom. However let us not forget our past, it is part of what we are today. I can't think of a nationality I'd prefer above my own. I have read several books on my countries history many with contradictions. I'm aware of the smug who think they are the only ones who have read (examples here in the bbv) Example : I'm not proud that we've had our oun Bloody Sunday around Ranelegh and Rathmines where irishmen murdered innocent people. But we got where we are today because of what has happened in our past. We are as equipped as any other country in the world to fight our way out of this mess
                                                              Last but not least Ireland is among the most beautiful countries in the world. I don't need to point that part out.
                                                              There in my narrowminded view on what being Irish is. I guess Strewelpeter sees different.

You'll notice I didn't mention god. Yep we're learning.

Comment

Ireland would be shit without Kerry imo.

Comment

Literally salivating: the Amazon Android Tablet due to be announced today 'Kindle Fire'

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...n-announcement
                                                                  Cheaper than you thought:

Comment

the BBV has gone to shite today. Off to see Drive tonight tho so happy enough

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                      Ireland would be shit without Kerry imo.
                                                                      Ireland is shit with Kerry, getting rid could only improve it.

Comment

maybe semi porn will help this discussion ...

Comment

Comment

I like this

Comment

Ireland would be THE shit without Kerry imo.
                                                                              FYP

Comment

anyone know anything about this company are they any good?

Comment

@CHD will you do a "Ask me anything about booze." thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                                                                    @CHD will you do a "Ask me anything about booze." thread?
                                                                                    I won't. I only know how to drink it.

Comment

@CHD will you do a "Ask me anything about drinking booze." thread?

Comment

Am I drunk or seeing double?

Comment

Hey sorry u feel that way but i was not involved I personally would have 4bet shove on the brit's but at the time the powers that be thaught calling in that spot was profitable, Although i do wonder it they had taken the south of ireland would i feel the same way and would there have been as much trouble???

FYI - I Don't agree with what the IRA have done since that deal was made

fcuk the poor souls in the 6 occupied countys, sorry lads you didnt make the cut now bend over and take it from the commonwealth
                                                                                          lol rolleye's, what about all the the poor fcuk's who got caught in all those bombing's the children, the women the men, the victim's.

There is no right or wrong side it's all fcuked up

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                            Am I drunk or seeing double?
                                                                                            I sneakily added drinking to my question.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                                                                              I sneakily added drinking to my question.
                                                                                              So I see...

I shall not do such a thread as it has nothing to do with poker which is what this fine website is all about.

Comment

So I'm trying to pack my room away, things that I'd left behind last year thinking I'd be back this year so there wasn't much point dealing with them then.

I have 3 sets of Talcum Powder that came with expensive Aftershave that I got as gifts over the course of a couple of Christmases. I've never used any of these.

Are they for your balls?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                  So I'm trying to pack my room away, things that I'd left behind last year thinking I'd be back this year so there wasn't much point dealing with them then.

I have 3 sets of Talcum Powder that came with expensive Aftershave that I got as gifts over the course of a couple of Christmases. I've never used any of these.

Are they for your balls?
                                                                                                  'A bit of Talcum is always Welcum'

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                                                                                    lol rolleye's, what about all the the poor fcuk's who got caught in all those bombing's the children, the women the men, the victim's.

There is no right or wrong side it's all fcuked up
                                                                                                    Yeah this. I mean even if Ireland had been made into 32 counties at the start, there would have been a bloody and brutal civil war between North and South. And then we would have ended up with a repressed minority of protestant unionists in Northern Ireland, singing songs and making films about the horrible things that happened to their martyrs.
                                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Any talk of the North/recent Irish history gives me screensaver face.

Comment

'A bit of Talcum is always Welcum'
                                                                                                        I've always wondered how that is meant to be applied...
                                                                                                        Is applying it whilst on your back legs apart the most +EV way to getting a good talc to skin ratio?
                                                                                                        Do you rub it in while standing, thereby wasting a large part of the talc.

Something I've thought on probably more than I should.
                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I find the term 'The troubles' nothing shy of hilarious.
                                                                                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

...

Comment

Is it possible to follow someone anonymously (stalk) on twitter?

Comment

Just search their name or open a fake account.

Comment

don't see why you'd be doing this, unless it's a relative or something? So long as they don't have their tweets private, just bookmark their page.

Comment

amazon.co.uk offering a special discount on kindle's in a front page offer with no mention of Kindle Fire that dominates the US front page of their website: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ they do know we can read US news surely?!
                                                                                                                    Very tempted to take the plunge at that price...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                      I've always wondered how that is meant to be applied...
                                                                                                                      Is applying it whilst on your back legs apart the most +EV way to getting a good talc to skin ratio?
                                                                                                                      Do you rub it in while standing, thereby wasting a large part of the talc..
                                                                                                                      Just no. Please help me erase this image from my head!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                        don't see why you'd be doing this, unless it's a relative or something? So long as they don't have their tweets private, just bookmark their page.
                                                                                                                        Yea, just someone who I wouldn't mind having in my feed that would be a bit weird to be following.

Comment

Very tempted to take the plunge at that price...
                                                                                                                          Thats a bargain. If you are thinking of buying one I'd nab one of them at that price.

Its the best bit of kit I have bought this year.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X