X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keane View Post
    I'd be amazed if they still weren't.

I think I'm on record on here as saying how much it tilts me listening to droolers from villages in Kerry beat their chests with the "Up the RA"/"Brits Out" shtick like they have the slightest idea of the intricacies of the situation in the North.

I'm not trolling asking about Sinn Féin et al, I genuinely don't know much about it and find it interesting.
    When I worked in a pub in Cork one of the regs was a close mate of that Guard they shot

He said to me it is because ye are far enough away from it to never actually be touched by it

I found the attitude to NI in Munster to be very childlike myself,
    Id nearly go as far as simple, nearly

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
      Looks like its going to cost $250; so maybe €250 landed in Ireland with all the dumbass tax etc?
      At least - I'd think we would be lucky to get it for €250! It's not just the tax by the way, they will set the price at that which the market will support; we've shown ourselves happy to pay over the odds so why wouldn't they price it accordingly? See the cost of buying gaming in € versus $ on Steam for more evidence of this!

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
        You obviously havent studied the full ballot paper so!
        They don't have FF in belfast

Disclaimer (fwiw):
        As much as I hate the shinners, they are nothing on the unionists scum, at least the shinners had the pretence of some higher cause as they went about there bank robbing, kneecapping, generally threatening civilians day

Comment

I find it odd and hypocritical that we glorify such acts as the rising etc but dismiss anyone who was involved in the 70's and 80's as out and out criminals and murderers.
          I suppose that's a big part of what I'm asking - I don't know enough about the Troubles to know whether they were just criminals and murderers.

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
          When I worked in a pub in Cork one of the regs was a close mate of that Guard they shot

He said to me it is because ye are far enough away from it to never actually be touched by it

I found the attitude to NI in Munster to be very childlike myself,
          Id nearly go as far as simple, nearly
          100% agree with this, the bit in bold in particular - it's cartoon-like at times.

Comment

Most people dont and that is the problem, I did not live in the North during the troubles either and can not claim to fully appreciate what it was like and so reserve judgement on either side, but I find it odd and hypocritical that we glorify such acts as the rising etc but dismiss anyone who was involved in the 70's and 80's as out and out criminals and murderers.
            the people of the 1916 rising came out and fought the british army face to face on the streets of dublin.
            the ira in the 70's and 80's hid behind balaclavas and terrorised/killed innocent women and childern, they also sent childern out onto the streets with petrol bombs and stones to throw at tanks and armed soldiers while they stayed several streets back to give out orders.
            they also planted bombs which killed women and childern as they went about their daily business just so they could blow a wheel of an army truck.

they are not heros imo, they are cowardly thugs.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Most people dont and that is the problem, I did not live in the North during the troubles either and can not claim to fully appreciate what it was like and so reserve judgement on either side, but I find it odd and hypocritical that we glorify such acts as the rising etc but dismiss anyone who was involved in the 70's and 80's as out and out criminals and murderers.
              simple Q: what % of the population of the six counties supported the activities of the Provisional IRA during the period 1971-1995?
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I think a huge part of why the 1916 Rising is glorified is down to the way it is taught in primary schools; it amounts to fairly petty State Indoctrination in my eyes. Have no doubt that if, in 50 years or whatever, we lived in an United Ireland with the political descendants of Sinn Fein dominating our society, the freedom fighters / terrorists (however we choose to view them at the moment!) of the 70s and 80s would be glorified (via 'official' channels, such as Dept. of Education sanctioned history books, etc...) to the same extent, or more!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                  So I leave for England on Friday morning. Having been home for a few weeks, and looking for somewhere thats not Diceys/Coppers/ALT/Dtwo to venture to on a Saturday night and failing miserably. I'm sick of all these shitholes tbh, turning into an oulfella who'd prefer sit around a table with friends and just suck Guinness till closing tbh. Very tough to do any womanising in that scenario though, so have been forced into the above shitholes regularly since returning.

I leave Friday, and this starts Saturday. FML, the Village is a great spot.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?e...t=event_invite
                  Can't really help you night time
                  though Peader Kearney's on Dame st has to be the nut afternoon pint spot
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    simple Q: what % of the population of the six counties supported the activities of the Provisional IRA during the period 1971-1995?
                    Probably a higher % than that of Dubliners supporting the activities of the rebels of 1916, at least at the time of their struggle!

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                      I think a huge part of why the 1916 Rising is glorified is down to the way it is taught in primary schools; it amounts to fairly petty State Indoctrination in my eyes.
                      it's generally accepted that there was little popular support for the 1916 rising, Pearse was a bloodthirsty but charismatic nutter who effectively went on a solo run not just against British rule but also against mainstream Irish nationalism (remember there wasn't one Irish MP elected at the time that would have espoused his batty 'republicanism')

it was actually the British response to 1916 and the subsequent post-WWI conflict that radicalised Irish popular opinion. Many people think that the causation was opposite but they are wrong.

Comment

Sitting in IKEA car park bored off my empty trolley
                        Another hour and a half to put down. Weather is fab though. Nice little play area for MIA.
                        Went into their restaurant ordered a cup of tea , big cheese pastry yoke, a slice of cake , a cupcake and a bottle of water. 6 quid couldn't believe it. Dinner menu looked lovely think it was 2.50 for a dinner.
                        Her sky-ness
                        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                          What about currently do you think? Is he still up to his neck in the evil shit or has Sinn Féin legitimised itself to any extent at all in the last decade or so?
                          Since the Northern Bank robbery I don't know what they've been doing but I expect they have put even more distance between themselves and the Bhoys.

Is this how you would see Adams and McGuinness, or just their cronies?

They were working an agenda that had nothing else going for it besides the fact that they could kill anyone they didn't like and had a criminal gang under control. nothing was possible without the impramatur of the leadership so yes.

Like, I wouldn't have thought that the two of them would have been interested in the idea of criminality for the sake of criminality, even if they weren't opposed to it when it suited their ends if you follow me...

Why more?

Because at least Northerners have the excuse of being raised in the midst of all the strife and its very difficult to change the mind of a thirteen year old with sophisticated arguments when he's embroiled in that shit. There is no excuse whatsoever for a kid five hundred miles and a world away from the reality who gets a hard on looking at pictures of Pearse and listening to Christy Moore songs going out and killing people because of some adolescent sentimental attachment.

Cliffs?
                          Eamonn McCann has written at length about it but the whole peace process continues to be less about peace and reconciliation and more about further seperation of the communities. The hope is that that will fall away with time but the first real step, integrated education, remains as far off as ever.
                          McGuinness was involved in trench warfare fighting for a cause he believed in against a sectarian, bigoted and cruel enemy.

Not trench warfare at all but a particularly cowardly form of terrorism that specifically targeted Women and Children over difficult military targers
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

He made it happen though by causing the British response. It's not too hard to predict how a pitbull will react when you taunt it; but someone needed to taunt it to get the response.
                              why?

Comment

In terms of the presidential race to the ARAS, I presume McGuinness knows that the magazine fort in the phoenix park is pretty much empty now. (hhmm or is it?)

Comment

why?
                                  guess

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                      guess
                                      it's a serious question but I'll make it longer if it helps you to understand:

why was it necessary, at a time when Britain was fighting a war of annihilation against Germany, to commence a tiny armed rebellion against it which had no popular support and stood no chance of military success?

there is a supplementary question but it shouldn't need to be posted here

Comment

Are we really debating whether it was a good idea for Ireland to achieve independence? Really?!

/apologies in advance if that's what you aren't suggesting as am off out for a swim
                                        apology accepted

Of course I'm not suggesting that Irish independence was a bad thing.

Britain had already promised this anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                          Can't really help you night time
                                          though Peader Kearney's on Dame st has to be the nut afternoon pint spot
                                          Where in Dame st is this? Really looking for a beer garden.
                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Are we really debating whether it was a good idea for Ireland to achieve independence? Really?!

/apologies in advance if that's what you aren't suggesting as am off out for a swim
                                              I continue to.
                                              I am still waiting for someone to show me how we are in any way better off now than Scotland or Wales.

And the idea that independence was an outcome of 1916 is ridiculous.
                                              Obviously in a roundabout way it did have a huge effect, the radicalisation that resulted from the British reaction led to a savage war of independence and to the Civil War.
                                              It is as certain as any 'what if' in history that that if Pearse and hadn't driven the rebellion we would have had a very strong workable 32 county form of Home Rule by 1920.

Comment

It's probably not something that the masterchef generation will ever understand. Ireland post famine was still a 3rd world country, despite having the most fertile soil in the world. The only reason any Irish person was figthing agianst Germany was for the money to feed their familes, no jobs no future , 2nd class citizens in an Empire build on misery of the natives. It's not easy to have the stomach for a fight in those circumstances when survival was the agenda. The reason for the backlash after the execution (british military style) was the Irish people WOKE up from the letharic existance they endured under British rule and decided that death was a good price to pay for freedom. The fear was replaced by pride and eventually Ireland got Home Rule. (kept it short for you).

Comment

MCGUINNESS ACCUSES GAYBO OF NOT BEING A MAN AFTER DONEGAL BEACH MEETING

FacebookTweetLinkedInPrint Presidential candidate Martin McGuinness has accused RTE star Gay Byrne of not being man enough to call him a…
                                                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/MidWe...17622831832879
                                                  http://mayopubpoker.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                    It is as certain as any 'what if' in history that that if Pearse and hadn't driven the rebellion we would have had a very strong workable 32 county form of Home Rule by 1920.
                                                    also, the convenient fiction that is the popular myth of 1916 wouldn't have been rammed down our throats as 'the' seminal moment in Irish history.

1916 was a laughable exercise in delusion, poor planning and fantasy. No-one bought it at the time but it's amazing what rose-tinted spectacles will do. The same applies to McGuinness and his 'career'.

Comment

It's probably not something that the masterchef generation will ever understand. Ireland post famine was still a 3rd world country, despite having the most fertile soil in the world. The only reason any Irish person was figthing agianst Germany was for the money to feed their familes, no jobs no future , 2nd class citizens in an Empire build on misery of the natives. It's not easy to have the stomach for a fight in those circumstances when survival was the agenda. The reason for the backlash after the execution (british military style) was the Irish people WOKE up from the letharic existance they endured under British rule and decided that death was a good price to pay for freedom. The fear was replaced by pride and eventually Ireland got Home Rule. (kept it short for you).
                                                      Seriously Willie do you honestly think that any part of the Empire from the East End of London to Calcutta was any better looked after?

Comment

Seriously Willie do you honestly think that any part of the Empire from the East End of London to Calcutta was any better looked after?
                                                        Are we better off than Wales ?hmmmm who cares? We are better off than England. YES. The place is a ticking timebomb. I don't suppose you were watching the riots. The generation of returned former members of the Empire ready to kill each other every weekend in the cities around the UK. Dublin for example is a far safer place . Try living in the many cities around the UK where the City Centre is a no go area. FACT If it were 1916 I'm sure you would have been one of the toffenosed type sneering at the trouble in town. If 1916 hadn't happned, it would have been 1917 with a bigger mandate.

This is not from the History books (edited ad nasuem) this is word of mouth from older relatives who were there , grew up in Dublin and knew what the feeling was like.
                                                        I'm not talking about the well heeled types here but the ordinary surpressed Irishman.

Comment

if you're trying to win an argument, throwing ad hominem attacks at anyone who disagrees with you isn't the way to go about it

Comment

Also LOOKED AFTER ? WTF. typical arrogance of the EMPIRE, we'll look after you in your own fecking country.

ya make me sick lads

Comment

if you're trying to win an argument, throwing ad hominem attacks at anyone who disagrees with you isn't the way to go about it
                                                              the argument is won already, you cunts no longer rules us cunts. The irony in your post (lol)

Comment

why was it necessary, at a time when Britain was fighting a war of annihilation against Germany, to commence a tiny armed rebellion against it which had no popular support and stood no chance of military success?
                                                                it is because britian was fighting with germany that made the rebellion worth while. they couldn't muster a force big enough to take on britian so when she was at her weakest was the best oppurtunity to strike. it was hoped that ireland would just be a torn in her side drawing away important resources from the bigger battle and that it would have been easier for her to say here fucking have yere petty little country back so, we were going to give it to ye in a few years time anyhow.

but they were wrong and they never allowed for the fact that england couldn't afford to let ireland go independant while they were at war with germany. as this could open up a second front as the irish rebels had shown several times before their willingness to colaborate with the germans.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

the argument is won already, you cunts no longer rules us cunts. The irony in your post (lol)
                                                                  inadvertently you've reminded me of the lad on the phone in the barbers today. He must have been the manager of his football team and seemed to be struggling to get a team out. Conversation went something like this:

him: Dave is out? Fuck. What about Big Paul? Fuck. Fuckin' weddings. What about that other cunt, what's his name - you know, the tall cunt? Moved to Australia? The fucker. Fuckit. <long silence> Do you know any other big cunts?

at this point, the barber cracked up. I'd say Alex Ferguson's selection meetings might sound similar.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                    Where in Dame st is this? Really looking for a beer garden.
                                                                    beside abrakebabra and not a beer garden but shop front opens out to the street.
                                                                    It also has another huge (underadvertised) selling point
                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

inadvertently you've reminded me of the lad on the phone in the barbers today. He must have been the manager of his football team and seemed to be struggling to get a team out. Conversation went something like this:

him: Dave is out? Fuck. What about Big Paul? Fuck. Fuckin' weddings. What about that other cunt, what's his name - you know, the tall cunt? Moved to Australia? The fucker. Fuckit. <long silence> Do you know any other big cunts?

at this point, the barber cracked up. I'd say Alex Ferguson's selection meetings might sound similar.
                                                                      The final haircut before you let yourself go to a once a week shave and a wash??
                                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Sometimes I think you really do believe this kind of pathetic adolescent Drivel.

You know nothing of where I come from but I had family on both sides of the Civil War and I while I'm not ashamed of those of them who were in what they used to call the 'Old IRA', I am inordinately proud of my three Uncles who got up off their arses and went to fight Hitler while all the snide sleeveen IRA and Fianna Fail fuckers sat around drunk wallowing in their own piss singing rebel songs and whinging about the famine.

Anyway the Raouls of the world do still rule us.
                                                                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 28-09-11, 13:11.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                          The final haircut before you let yourself go to a once a week shave and a wash??
                                                                          yup, next time you see me I'll look like Ronnie Drew

(already planning to sneak up behind Solkjaer when he's had a few and frighten the bejaysus out of him)

Comment

If ye look carefully at the proBritish debate (or indeed any debate) the cunning BBV brits will taunt you to see if they can get you typing with your guard slightly down, where you might not flower each sentence with her majestys finest , and then they slip in words like 'ad hominem ' which basically means, I'm an educated speaker of Latin and you are a pickaxe weilding serf, the likes of which caused us many irritations during our trips to overlook OUR preserve. How dare you ungrateful
                                                                            peasants dare to attack us when we basically allowed you to run free reign in this bog of a land. (to quote paisley accurately -> bog dwellers) .

I really think IPB is a total misnomer for this site., BPB is more fitting.

Comment

yup, next time you see me I'll look like Ronnie Drew

(already planning to sneak up behind Solkjaer when he's had a few and frighten the bejaysus out of him)
                                                                              Jealous.

We need to find a Greek ex-pat home game in London for our next poker trip. I think the guy believed you were going to be on the telly in the morning at one point. Until you went competely OTT that is!
                                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                it is because britian was fighting with germany that made the rebellion worth while. they couldn't muster a force big enough to take on britian so when she was at her weakest was the best oppurtunity to strike. it was hoped that ireland would just be a torn in her side drawing away important resources from the bigger battle and that it would have been easier for her to say here fucking have yere petty little country back so, we were going to give it to ye in a few years time anyhow.

but they were wrong
                                                                                yup and like I said, delusional

independence was guaranteed anyway, the democratic IPP had (largely) won out

Comment

Speaking of haircuts I got this in an email yesterday

[NSFW="Fairly NSFW"]This is an actual barbershop in Poland .

And they say women are not smarter than men?

Yea, right...

[/NSFW]

Comment

you are a pickaxe weilding serf
                                                                                    You are a pickaxe wielding serf.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                      You are a pickaxe wielding serf.
                                                                                      I rest my case.

Comment

To be honest, whilst Willie's wolfe tones-esque explanations of Irish history might not be factually 100%, I find Strewley's and Raoul's post colonial nostalgia downright ridiculous.
                                                                                        Seek ye first the recruiting office, and everything will be added unto you.

Comment

To be honest, whilst Willie's wolfe tones-esque explanations of Irish history might not be factually 100%, I find Strewley's and Raoul's post colonial nostalgia downright ridiculous.
                                                                                          The gruesome twosome should leave the trolling to the professionals.
                                                                                          Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

I don't have any strong opinions on the whole debate but this seems fairly cringeworthy. Should slaves that were looked after decently by their owners have avoided fighting back and now look back at the slavery era with fondness?

Comment

speaking for myself, I'm delighted to be a citizen of an independent Irish republic. I have no nostalgic feelings about British rule in Ireland (how could I? SP probably is old enough to have them though ) and I don't know how you came by this notion.

that doesn't mean I have to be delighted about how we got here and the ridiculous shibboleths that are peddled as commonly accepted 'history'. We actually do ourselves a major disservice by not analysing and critiquing this 'history'.

Comment

Sometimes I think you really do believe this kind of pathetic adolescent Drivel.

You know nothing of where I come from but I had family on both sides of the Civil War and I while I'm not ashamed of those of them who were in what they used to call the 'Old IRA', I am inordinately proud of my three Uncles who got up off their arses and went to fight Hitler while all the snide sleeveen IRA and Fianna Fail fuckers sat around drunk wallowing in their own piss singing rebel songs and whinging about the famine.

Anyway the Raouls of the world do still rule us.
                                                                                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lei0wVtlczQ&
                                                                                                that clip is lol

It's part of my heritage . I take priide in my Irishness , I don't bemoan it like you constantly do. That is what is wrong with this country. It's full of money/moany feckers like yourself who moan from the butchers to the barbers (topical) about how badly everything is run, how the country is fast heading down a path of destruction but offer nothing positive . You even seeth/crib/cry like a child when Dublin beat Kildare and you call me Adolescent? I'll give you one thing at least you are consistant.

Comment

Good definition of Fail IMO

Attached Files
                                                                                                  One of these days I am either going to quit poker or learn how to play the damn game

Comment

I'm afriad, I got it from my Liberty dwelling grandparents and not the Wolfe tones. It's 100% from the horses mouth. I have no reason to duobt any of their facts.

odds enough I hate SF.

Comment

Are Raoul & Strewel gay partners? Serious question.

Comment

speaking for myself, I'm delighted to be a citizen of an independent Irish republic. I have no nostalgic feelings about British rule in Ireland (how could I? SP probably is old enough to have them though ) and I don't know how you came by this notion.

that doesn't mean I have to be delighted about how we got here and the ridiculous shibboleths that are peddled as commonly accepted 'history'. We actually do ourselves a major disservice by not analysing and critiquing this 'history'.
                                                                                                        LOL. . You offer up an almost Walter Mittylike desire to live the life of some English gentry type lifestyle. I can see you and SP eating cucumber sandwiched at Mrs Fairfaxes abode decrying the quality of the tea.

Comment

Comment

LOL. . You offer up an almost Walter Mittylike desire to live the life of some English gentry type lifestyle. I can see you and SP eating cucumber sandwiched at Mrs Fairfaxes abode decrying the quality of the tea.
                                                                                                            I don't drink tea

look how far you've come from your 'argument'; you do the same thing every time in fairness so at least your're consistent.
                                                                                                            Atom bombs, 1916, Fianna Fail - it all ends with calling people cunts. Which is fair enough I suppose.

Comment

One to go into the 'leisurely read from phone in the work jacks' category:

Simon Winchester writes in Vanity Fair about Chinese trains. Its good.

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/f...0/china-201110
                                                                                                              Chineese trains are Fast ~~

On the whole Uprising / Martin Mcguiness thing my belief is:

Up till the point that we our leaders or the people who were in charge of everything did the deal for the 26 counties, ths was Ireland fighting for it freedom and anything that happened was more or less war, losses on both side's RIP

Everything after the point of when the deal was made, the trouble's in the north etc has been an act of terrisom and as such if McGuinness is ever elected to the office of president I will give up on Ireland as a nation

my view of this FYI

Comment

I don't drink tea

look how far you've come from your 'argument'; you do the same thing every time in fairness so at least your're consistent.
                                                                                                                Atom bombs, 1916, Fianna Fail - it all ends with calling people cunts Which is fair enough I suppose.
                                                                                                                sorry I thought it was a BBV cult word these days.

Comment

Now I forgot if I posted my point about Mcguinnes moving to the Aras to get near the magazine fort. Anyways ye know my feelings, sneak up behind me at yer peril.

And now to prove DP correct I add a clip of some Oirish music. not the Wolfe Tones (bah, I'm a Dubliners man) but instead Moving Hearts.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Its sad and quite pathetic that anyone still retains Willies narrow prescriptive and deluded version of what Irishness is.

Comment

The drugs are working just fine thank you

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MidWe...17622831832879
                                                                                                                        http://mayopubpoker.com/

Comment

I remember a while back somebody (possibly Hitchiker) saying Keytrade was not as safe as it had seemed due to liabilities tied to Credit Agricole (I think). Has there been any more developments in this regard or any more information regarding the security of depositing in Keytrade?

I have a not small but not large amount of money in an account with Permanent TSB. It's fixed term and the term is up soon. Running the gauntlet by having it all in a creaky Irish bank for another fixed term for the sake of some tiny sum of interest is, I'm guessing, pretty retarded risk so I'm trying to find a good place to put it.

Unfortunately living in Spain doesn't mean I'm exactly surrounded by secure, strong banks and the only other country where I could probably open an account with relative ease would be Italy. FML.

I think I might just go and live in Greece and Portugal for a year and complete the set of economic shitholes.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X