This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
    United and Fergie are a mystery in respect of central midfield. I genuinely have no idea how United manage to play 2 in the centre in this day and age and still do as well as they do, even with Rooney dropping deep. If you put any of the 2 that United played in central midfield in the last couple of years in another team they would be in trouble. Being United seems to double their worth in games.
    The thing is United don't need to control most games. Benitez used to be obsessed about control from the middle of the park. It meant often against weaker teams under him we found it really hard to break down the opposition as they would sit in and defend for large portions of the game without ever having to break shape.

Having less of that control to pull weaker teams naturally out of position should mean since you have the better players once you make them stand toe to toe they should lose most of the time. Rope a dope I think it's called. This can look like a lack of control because the ball is coming back at you very quickly but it's only a percived lack of control because I think you're playing the game in a way which maximises your own strengths/weaknesses. How many times have you watched United when they seemed to lack control of the game but more often that not come away with the win? If the game is played with a lack of control the side with the better attack and defense will come out on top most of the time which is invariability against most sides United.

I think it becomes interesting at the point when teams are well matched in attack and defense so control becomes much more of an important factor due to the fact that the opposition are just as likely or more likely when you stand toe to toe to be the one knocking you out. I think it's why we did so well in Europe under Benitez as we always exercised this control from the centre which meant even against the best teams we could match up.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
      @Zod - Where did you find that post? The whole thread it's taken from has some great posts.

Opr
      Original. http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/...topic=287630.0

Comment

Massive Breaking Bad spoiler within, absolute must see for anyone who has seen the current episode.

SPOILER

Genius
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
          I think it makes a huge difference. Last season there was nothing between Utd and City, this signing makes united a lot stronger, and City have the same team.

Having two world class strikers will be a huge benefit to UTD
          United weren't found lacking up front. They did the business.

They were weakest in the middle of the park and that won't change this year.

RVP just brings more of what they already have.

20M+ for a 29 y/o who is due a big injury is not good business. They should have signed Modric or the likes.

Comment

Ugh, gives me a dilemma in the fantasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
              No it's a version that went up yesterday.

Has a slight cropping issue at the bottom of the screen but very watchable.

Pseudo is the name of the ripping group if your looking for it.

Actually just thinking that must be what is cropped out down the bottom, duh.
              I would guess it's a pretty bad crop so, watched a movie before with Korean subs cutout certainly won't be doing that again.
              "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                Massive Breaking Bad spoiler within, absolute must see for anyone who has seen the current episode.

SPOILER

Genius
                SPOILER
                WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                  SPOILER
                  WTF?
                  BB spoiler

SPOILER
                  There was a train too, had it all.

Comment

The LC talk has reminded me of something I have wanted to know for a while. I read somewhere that when communism in Soviet Union ended that there was some manner of apology for the decades of lies that were taught to students in the history books, and they cancelled the finals history exams that year.

I would like to know what the children were taught about history that was different, but I have never come across it anywhere. I always assumed we didn't have a history person here. I am now appointing Ionapaul as our official history expert (i.e. he has to do our history Googling for us).

Does anyone know what kind of stuff the Ruskies taught the kids about history?
                    For future reference I have a history degree so feel free to ask away on the topic.

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                    I was thinking mandatory subjects like Maths, Irish and the Language tbh.
                    Another reason kids do badly in the LC. They take a tactically poor approach to the exams. Most people take 7 subjects when really you should be taking as many as you need to: if you suck at Irish take a make up subject. If you also suck at math then add in another. Obviously schools are constrained in what they can do and offer to kids but I am looking at it in the optimal approach
                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                      BB spoiler

SPOILER
                      There was a train too, had it all.
                      SPOILER
                      Yeah, I saw it. Meant wtf was the bit at the end of it..

Comment

I would like to subject them to "The Sunderland Test" whereby every Man Utd player under suspicion of being average has to play for Sunderland for a season to assess their true worth.
                        hehe - veering dangerously close to 'can they do it on a wet night in Stoke' territory there.

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                          SPOILER
                          Yeah, I saw it. Meant wtf was the bit at the end of it..
                          BB
                          SPOILER
                          Kid being shot obv. Cool train wasn't it

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                            Ugh, gives me a dilemma in the fantasy.
                            In a fit of "RVP will score a bucketfull" I bought him earlier and then realised (read) that since he has had practically no pre-season that he likely won't be starting the season. So I got rid of him again. And in all the turmoil Torres snuck into my team.

I had a frontline of Tevez, RVP, and Torres for a bit. That looked nice. I'm going to keep faith with Papiss Cisse though. I have also taken a punt on Kagawa.

I wonder of Mancini will keep his 3-5-2 formation or was he only trying it out as I have read. Kolorov has got in for me on the basis that he might operate on the left wing in that formation.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                              Another reason kids do badly in the LC. They take a tactically poor approach to the exams. Most people take 7 subjects when really you should be taking as many as you need to: if you suck at Irish take a make up subject. If you also suck at math then add in another. Obviously schools are constrained in what they can do and offer to kids but I am looking at it in the optimal approach
                              Agreed. I hit double figures in subjects done.

Comment

In a fit of "RVP will score a bucketfull" I bought him earlier and then realised (read) that since he has had practically no pre-season that he likely won't be starting the season. So I got rid of him again. And in all the turmoil Torres snuck into my team.

I had a frontline of Tevez, RVP, and Torres for a bit. That looked nice. I'm going to keep faith with Papiss Cisse though. I have also taken a punt on Kagawa.

I wonder of Mancini will keep his 3-5-2 formation or was he only trying it out as I have read. Kolorov has got in for me on the basis that he might operate on the left wing in that formation.
                                Yea I'm not sure he will start. I was more thinking of getting him now incase his price inflates with a move to utd? I'm not sure how fantasy transfers work so I would be best figure that out first

Comment

Stars lagging badly for anyone?

Comment

Ok so this year I've been mostly 4 tabling hyper PLO HNSNG. Was going fair well until July.

Since then it's been utterly SINISTER how I've been running. Just fucking creepy. I've never been constantly laughing out loud playing like I've been doing lately.
                                    It's almost as if there's strange forces at work.
                                    I'd consider myself an atheist but my experiences with poker have led to me actually consider there's some sort of weird forces at work in the game.
                                    For example the small few times I've tried slowrolling someone (either because they've slowrolled me or out of sheer frustration) have seen me get one or two-outered.

Anyway graph since 1st July:

Rant over!!

Last edited by welk_in; 15-08-12, 23:48.

Comment

landed in Vancouver yesterday , serious first night serious weather today
                                      legoooo for the next year to be a cracker.

Who is the guy on here that works for or has an affiliation with moneybookers/skrill

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                        The storm arrived eventually, although not up to some of the hysterical hurricane predictions. Waterford's coastal areas some of the worst hit. Some great pics
                                        SPOILER

Newtown, Tramore

The Cove, Tramore

Boatstrand

More Tramore

was out around those spots today at time those photo's were taken, bar the boatstrand one, spectacular viewing

Comment

Tesco promotion is back

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by welk_in View Post
                                            Ok so this year I've been mostly 4 tabling hyper PLO HNSNG. Was going fair well until July.

Since then it's been utterly SINISTER how I've been running. Just fucking creepy. I've never been constantly laughing out loud playing like I've been doing lately.
                                            It's almost as if there's strange forces at work.
                                            I'd consider myself an atheist but my experiences with poker have led to me actually consider there's some sort of weird forces at work in the game.
                                            For example the small few times I've tried slowrolling someone (either because they've slowrolled me or out of sheer frustration) have seen me get one or two-outered.

Anyway graph since 1st July:

Rant over!!

sick brag

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Sorry if this was posted before.

If you use Chrome, type "zuckerberg" anywhere in the browser such as this site or email and check Chrome's spellchecker (right click)

Solid gold!

Good old Google.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                    Can anyone remember what the old CAO points allocations were? I'm thinking back in the mid 1980's. I remember somewhere about 36 being the maximum available, though I can't find anything to confirm this vague memory
                                                    I beat 36

Sorry if this was posted before.

If you use Chrome, type "zuckerberg" anywhere in the browser such as this site or email and check Chrome's spellchecker (right click)

Solid gold!

Good old Google.
                                                    What happens?
                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post

What happens?
                                                      You levelling or can't you see images?

Comment

What football team do you support?

Comment

I see now, lol out loud

Comment

So I see you stay up late.
                                                            What you have for dinner?
                                                            Do you play sheep?
                                                            airport, lol

Comment

I see now, lol out loud
                                                              Did you genuinely lol out loud or just say you did?

Comment

I'm playing Orcs must Die.

Comment

Kagawa isn't much of a risk imo, he's far too talented not to produce the goods. Himself and Cazorla have been the two best signings of the window so far.
                                                                  Last edited by The Situation; 16-08-12, 01:42.
                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                                                    Getting crushed by the Waterford wizards ATM

On the break, no blaaah's being severed.... Very disappointed i am!!
                                                                    Ft this in And in the end came third knocked out senior Kakak1 when he shoved his 99's into my btn 1010's only won like a bb as the big blind micknail here woke up with AK and out flopped us both wp sir

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                      Kagawa isn't much of a risk imo, he's far too talented not to produce the goods. Himself and Cazorla have been the two best signings of the window so far.
                                                                      Hazard is right up there if not better.

Comment

Did you genuinely lol out loud or just say you did?
                                                                        Of course, I wouldn't say I did if I didn't.
                                                                        lol out loud

Comment

Hernandez to Arsenal?

With Manchester United having now confirmed that they have signed Arsenal 's wantaway striker Robin van Persie, the Daily Mirror are claiming that Mexican Javier Hernandez could now be heading the other way...

Comment

I doubt there is any truth in that, it just seems based off one report in the Mirror. Why would Arsenal not mention it when they confirmed RVP leaving?

Comment

If we can hold onto Agger and the news is true about Sahin I'm much more optimistic that we have a shot at top 4 this season. This wouldn't be a bad starting 11.

--------------Reina--------------

Johnson---Skrtel---Agger---Enrique

--------------Lucas--------------

-----------Allen-----Sahin--------

Gerrard--------Suarez--------Borini

Last season after we lost Lucas we had awful midfield options which will have been completely transformed in the coming season.

Opr
                                                                              I'll have some serious boner if we sign Sahin. Good luck getting the ball off that midfield 3. Enrique is the only real weak link in that team.

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                                                                Ft this in And in the end came third knocked out senior Kakak1 when he shoved his 99's into my btn 1010's only won like a bb as the big blind micknail here woke up with AK and out flopped us both wp sir
                                                                                Why did I think you were Asian or something???
                                                                                Im crazy.

Split the dosh HU with Mr.Kiely.
                                                                                I have a 100% cashing record in the Showboat.

Lol out loud sample size!
                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                  Incorrect, expect Michu to do very good things at Swansea.

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                                                                  I'll have some serious boner if we sign Sahin. Good luck getting the ball off that midfield 3. Enrique is the only real weak link in that team.
                                                                                  Surely its Johnson?
                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                    Incorrect, expect Michu to do very good things at Swansea.

Surely its Johnson?
                                                                                    Na Johnson is decent, quick, good with the ball at his feet, gets the odd goal and assist. I reckon he'll do well in Rodgers team as he won't have as much defending to do either.

Enrique is brain dead, never makes the correct decision in the final third of the pitch.

Comment

This is why people lol at Liverpool fans.

Comment

This is why people lol at Liverpool fans.
                                                                                        Why don't you enlighten me and tell me what's so lol worthy about it?

Comment

Barring some more business in the next few days I'm fairly sure we will see Rooney deployed as a central midfielder behind an RVP and Hernandez attack

Comment

Why don't you enlighten me and tell me what's so lol worthy about it?
                                                                                            Johnson and Enrique are weak. Liverpool full backs aren't the greatest at defending.

That midfield is new and hasn't even played together once. Sahin and Allen will need time.

Gerrard will be muck in that position.

It won't be too hard getting the ball off them for any half decent team.

Now if you are getting a bone over chasing a Europa league spot then fair enough bit I'm pretty sure you're expecting more, which won't happen.

Comment

Johnson and Enrique are weak. Liverpool full backs aren't the greatest at defending.
                                                                                              I said Enrique was weak. Johnson is fine.

That midfield is new and hasn't even played together once. Sahin and Allen will need time.
                                                                                              Allen shouldn't need much time, he'll be playing in a position and system that he know's inside out. Sahin might but he's quality and Gerrard can fill that position while he settles anyway.

Gerrard will be muck in that position.
                                                                                              Gerrard had his best ever season on the right wing. He probably won't play there much anyway if we sign a decent winger. He'll most likely be rotating with the other midfield 3 when he's not injured.

It won't be too hard getting the ball off them for any half decent team.
                                                                                              Really? 2 of the best midfielders in the PL at retaining the ball with Sahin along side them as well? k.

Now if you are getting a bone over chasing a Europa league spot then fair enough bit I'm pretty sure you're expecting more, which won't happen.
                                                                                              Never said anything about getting a boner over chasing a EL spot, I said I would over Sahin signing. If we keep our important players fit we'll be close enough to 4th. Arsenal and Spurs just lost their 2 best players.

No doubt Sahin will sign for Arsenal tomorrow though and fuck it all up.

Comment

For future reference I have a history degree so feel free to ask away on the topic.

If you suck at one subject you should sit it at ordinary (or even foundation) level and not waste study time on it. You should really only start adding subjects if you expect to need large points and won't be able to get them normally. Pro tip... applied maths is an excellent choice.
                                                                                                May you live in interesting times!

Comment

How serious?

Comment

How serious?
                                                                                                    He hopes for people to take him cereal, for then he would be super awesome.
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

@Zod - Where did you find that post? The whole thread it's taken from has some great posts.

Opr
                                                                                                      Two places. The original is on RAWK, the other on another comedy forum.
                                                                                                      Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                                        If you suck at one subject you should sit it at ordinary (or even foundation) level and not waste study time on it. You should really only start adding subjects if you expect to need large points and won't be able to get them normally. Pro tip... applied maths is an excellent choice.
                                                                                                        I'm talking about the easiest way to achieve the highest number of points. If a subject qualifies as a scrubber (likelihood of A1or A2 is too small to justify the level of study required to achieve it) then it should be completely ignored (assuming its a non-entry requirement topic) and a suitable alternative subject should be taken in its place.
                                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

'gaming' LC is easy.

Honours

Economics
                                                                                                          Accounting
                                                                                                          Maths
                                                                                                          Applied Maths
                                                                                                          Geography
                                                                                                          Physics

Ordinary

Irish
                                                                                                          English
                                                                                                          French

Reason being that the overlap between Maths, Applied Maths and Physics make them an easy trio to study for in blocks.

Accounting is a methodology exam, you learn a procedure then plug some numbers in.

Economics and Geography are both "SRP" style exams. (Signifcant Relevant Point). Effectively learning a tonne of trivia that's inherently intuitive once several underlying reasonings are examined in Economics (Demand and Supply, rationality etc).
                                                                                                          And also picking 5 things to learn a lot about in Geography. (The weakest reasoning for this exam, I just wanted to include it because I was the "A1 student" in national press in the year following my LC for it - embarrassing!)
                                                                                                          Last edited by Emmet; 16-08-12, 07:56.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryT View Post
                                                                                                            Life advice please BBV!

I lurk here a fair bit and don't really post much but was reading through all the LC talk and it got me thinking about what I should do.

I never did the leaving. Dropped out around Xmas of 6th year probably would've been around average without much work so 400-460 points I'd guess. I dropped out because I didn't have time for school and was going to be away for the actual exams due to chasing a sports dream which involved travelling the world basically.

Had an opportunity that was once in a lifetime and felt I could always go back to school so I don't really regret dropping out.

That was 2 years ago now and I'm now 20. Still involved but not had as much success as expected or I could be arrogant and say deserved

So pretty much now there's very few options left after this year is over. Still pushing hard for that and obviously not giving up. There's not a single course I can think of that I would have any interest in doing at the minute.

So what would be the general consensus on trying to get a leaving just to have one? Is the age for 'mature students' 24 which would I be right in saying you wouldn't need a LC if you were to become one? This thought just came to me as I was writing this.

I'm not even sure what I'm looking to be told here just feeling pretty confused and considering going back to school.

Cheers
                                                                                                            Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                            @GaryT would you not fit grand into the Institute? - their average age would be 19, so you wouldn't look out of place (in case you are worried about that). You'd probably have a great year and then there's every uni course in the country open to you
                                                                                                            just a thought,i know a few guys who are now Coaching in rugby,gaa etc.more or less full time at this stage(rugby camps,hurling camps etc)could be worth looking at in the sport you were involved in.all the best whatever you end up doing.
                                                                                                            Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

Ship the new job with Suncorp

Back in Oz a week, delighted things are working out

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                'gaming' LC is easy.

Honours

Economics
                                                                                                                Accounting
                                                                                                                Maths
                                                                                                                Applied Maths
                                                                                                                Geography
                                                                                                                Physics

Ordinary

Irish
                                                                                                                English
                                                                                                                French

Reason being that the overlap between Maths, Applied Maths and Physics make them an easy trio to study for in blocks.

Accounting is a methodology exam, you learn a procedure then plug some numbers in.

Economics and Geography are both "SRP" style exams. (Signifcant Relevant Point). Effectively learning a tonne of trivia that's inherently intuitive once several underlying reasonings are examined in Economics (Demand and Supply, rationality etc).
                                                                                                                And also picking 5 things to learn a lot about in Geography. (The weakest reasoning for this exam, I just wanted to include it because I was the "A1 student" in national press in the year following my LC for it - embarrassing!)
                                                                                                                Any objections to a link being posted in BBV?

Comment

I'm talking about the easiest way to achieve the highest number of points. If a subject qualifies as a scrubber (likelihood of A1or A2 is too small to justify the level of study required to achieve it) then it should be completely ignored (assuming its a non-entry requirement topic) and a suitable alternative subject should be taken in its place.

Ah yes... all the better to show the country the size of one's genitalia....

In all seriousness though... CAO students know from past years the rough ball park of points needed to achieve their first preference course and aim for that +10-20%. Doing more seems a bit pointless to me tbh.
                                                                                                                  May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                    Any objections to a link being posted in BBV?
                                                                                                                    can't find it anywhere. Definitely shouldn't have done it. I was pretty young for my year in school, meant I'd a lot of friends in the year below in other schools etc. I forgot that they'd see it when I agreed to it.

Got horrific amount of stick for it!

edit, just found a digital version of it. No chance am I posting it though! Horrendous photo, way way worse than the printed version too!

Comment

Liverpool fans are grimly amusing at present. Sahin is quality, but we're further off it than that and there remain doubts about whether our best defender will be there on Sep 01. We're also light enough in terms of depth for the frontline.

Most importantly, Chelsea and Spurs have done good business and Arsenal may spend again now. I'm far from enthused for the coming season.
                                                                                                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                        can't find it anywhere. Definitely shouldn't have done it. I was pretty young for my year in school, meant I'd a lot of friends in the year below in other schools etc. I forgot that they'd see it when I agreed to it.

Got horrific amount of stick for it!

edit, just found a digital version of it. No chance am I posting it though! Horrendous photo, way way worse than the printed version too!
                                                                                                                        That doesn't sound like an objection?

[pic deleted to save later life embarrasment/loss of career]
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Dice75; 16-08-12, 16:55.

Comment

This is silly though. Is that what Shane and Olly are predicating '600 points easy' on? Sure, give me 6 months to do English, History, Business, Classics, Geography, Home Economics and Accounting I'd fancy 500 points plus. Can't use those points for applying to an NUI, Trinity, DCU, etc though. 600 point Leaving Certs are so impressive because people who get them tend not to dump the awkward subjects and can literally do whatever course wherever on the back of their hard work.
                                                                                                                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X