This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
    Well I have no work to do until Tuesday so thats a deal!
    Ok People, if you can help Rufio out it would be appreciated!

Since I know naff all about the place

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
      Oops, I'm 35 now and haven't hit six figures, might be time to hit the dole! Obviously he means if you have a family, because of all the benefits you can pull in (if you don't have savings).
      Hmmm, I'm 35 in nine months and working in a loss making (almost value added at this stage) section of a hugely profitably company. No chance i'm making it to 100k in the next few years here.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Now this has the potential to be amusing....I’m leaving this place tomorrow so tonight is the standard thing, leave work at 5 and go boozing, eating and talking shite.

However, and completely unrelated the head HR person for the entire bank has turned up here unannounced – this lady is known as ‘The Angel of Death’ (think of her as the female version of George Clooney in Up in the Air). The local HR person has been meeting with her for the entire morning and now a very terse email has been dispatched inviting all staff to a meeting at 4.

Could be an interesting evening.

Pics or GTFO

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
        Ok People, if you can help Rufio out it would be appreciated!

Since I know naff all about the place
        You devious so and so
        Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

You don't have kids, do you?

If it wasn't down to me being an over protective mammy I would no doubt have found my daughter to have hearing problems in a few months.

There are loads of children who SHOULD be seen by a GP not because they can't afford the fee which is unreal at €60 where Michelle is as it is only €40 here.

If a kid should see a GP then bring him to one, skimping over €60 for your kids health is pretty horrible. There is very rarely something seriously wrong with a child that they need a GP though.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
            If a kid should see a GP then bring him to one, skimping over €60 for your kids health is pretty horrible. There is very rarely something seriously wrong with a child that they need a GP though.
            This is what I was trying to say but it came out much worse. I do not have kids obv tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post

Kills me to hand a doc 60 quid to be told she has a bug.
              This is such a prevalent attidude when people go to doctors/hospital that always baffles me. Surely this would be by far the best thing that the doctor could say, would you prefer that she had some underlying condition that in some way justified the pricetag in your head? Your paying to relieve concern.

I do fully agree that GP prices are completely extortionate, particularly for kids,. Parents shouldn't have to make EV monetary decisions when it comes to their kids health.
              Profit before people.

Comment

There are loads of children who SHOULD be seen by a GP not because they can't afford the fee which is unreal at €60 where Michelle is as it is only €40 here.
                What is the problem with the GPs fees? What do you think it should be? How do you think it should compare to say that of a bricklayer?

Comment

Look forward to RDIII review of Burgerking after a feed of drink this evening

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                    Look forward to RDIII review of Burgerking after a feed of drink this evening
                    I think RDIII needs to join us at blogging desk for at least part of the Irish Open next weekend

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                        I think RDIII needs to join us at blogging desk for at least part of the Irish Open next weekend
                        on that, who's signed up at the moment, and do ye need a hand?
                        Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

I'd love to but unfortunately will be in Portugal.
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Survivor stuff.

SPOILER
                            I really think the lads should of banded together and taken Christina on as the swing vote and pick the girls off one by one.
                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Some single parents might not be able to afford that out of the money they get. If they are working they don't get a medical card.

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                              What is the problem with the GPs fees? What do you think it should be? How do you think it should compare to say that of a bricklayer?
                              They are higher than Donegal.
                              I think you read what I said wrong. Read back

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                There's free health centres all over the country where you can bring the kid to be seen by a nurse. VHI also have a 24 hour 'talk to a nurse / doctor' phoneline. When its about €50 to see a doctor the kid would nearly want to be identifiably about to lose a limb, especially since the level of education of public health nurses is excellent.
                                I haven't seen any free health centres around here. Can people not on VHI call the helpline?

Comment

Time to revive Rounders meets? El Tren will be in attendance this year could be fun getting Rounders to meet Hellmuth
                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Comment

Why should someone pay €20 more to have the same service because the live in Port Laois. I know that maybe the cost of living is more etc, but still it is quite a jump to achieve the same thing.

Comment

Surely though it is fair to say that many services are cheaper in Donegal than than Portlaoise (and elsewhere nearer Dublin). I don't see why GPs alone should be singled out.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                          on that, who's signed up at the moment, and do ye need a hand?
                                          Sure thing Zod, will PM ya later in the week early next week. When are you available?

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                          Time to revive Rounders meets? El Tren will be in attendance this year could be fun getting Rounders to meet Hellmuth
                                          Rounders meets should definitely be revived imo.

Comment

I'm with you zuutroy; but I'd love to fall into one where you get that amount of dough without working too hard, too long or having too many responsibilities! It is possible, I do know that...
                                            Isn't that the key issue really. Everyone's salary has to be put in the context of the sacrifices that need to be made to earn it. 50k with loads of time off and a stress free number versus 100k with 60+ hr weeks and constant stress, blackberry on 24/7 and the tax implications. If you didn't need the extra 25k net would you bother?

Tbh in my limited experience I think the 100-150k earners probably have more stress in their lives compared (as they are merely middle managers/dept heads etc and have a lot of things to answer for and very little control) to the 250k+ boys have more freedom and who get to call the tune more often.

Obviously the most stressful spot is the low income earner with big debts or sick family member etc. Perceiving yourself to have limited choices is probably the worst.
                                            Last edited by V for Vendetta; 29-03-12, 13:13.
                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                              I'd love to but unfortunately will be in Portugal.

Comment

Comment

Surely though it is fair to say that many services are cheaper in Donegal than than Portlaoise (and elsewhere nearer Dublin). I don't see why GPs alone should be singled out.
                                                  We are talking about doctors though, aren't we?

Comment

No, only VHI, I'm afraid.

That's weird re Health Centres - this list here suggests there aren't any in Donegal

Your entry point to community health and personal social services

They're an excellent idea - you just call in whenever and you / baby are seen by a Public Health Nurse. No cost involved.
                                                    I suppose since I have a medical card I haven't had to find this out. Cheers HH

They don't have any in Letterkenny. strange.
                                                    Last edited by MrsFlushdraw; 29-03-12, 13:15. Reason: Looked at list

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                      Really? Sign me up to your newsletter so!
                                                      Actually, RDIII had it spot on earlier; what I was alluding to was to get into a dynamic and profitable company (early on if possible), carve out a 'unique' position for yourself (you need to have an office obv, where people can't see you not working) and earn six figures plus bonus each year for doing relatively little. The more indeterminate or open-ended the job title, the better - think 'Information Consultant' or 'Head of Synergy' and so on. I've seen it many times and expect to see it again!

Comment

Why should someone pay €20 more to have the same service because the live in Port Laois. I know that maybe the cost of living is more etc, but still it is quite a jump to achieve the same thing.
                                                        I'm not saying that they necessary should pay €20 more, but GPs are independent sole traders entitled to charge what they deem fit.

If all the GPs in Portlaoise were to agree to charge a certain price, that would be price fixing, deemed anti competitive and is illegal. You can’t have it both ways.

Comment

Comment

Donegal is a strange place.

Comment

I'm not saying that they necessary should pay €20 more, but GPs are independent sole traders entitled to charge what they deem fit.

If all the GPs in Portlaoise were to agree to charge a certain price, that would be price fixing, deemed anti competitive and is illegal. You can’t have it both ways.
                                                              Well it is the fact that it is a jump of 20 quid that is my point.

Would a system where all the Drs charge the same amount for an appointment not be fair? People go to the family dr they have for years or the one closest.

Why is it illegal to have a set charge? as far as I am aware all the Drs in letterkenny charge the same for a visit, nurse visit, form stamping etc.

Comment

Strangely my GP in Donnybrook is €50 so they are more extensive than D4 also.
                                                                As a sole trader they can charge whatever they want tho and are not employed straight by the HSE. It is a business and due to cost of premises being lower in Donegal and the overall cost of living being overall cheaper I would expect this.

Comment

Originally posted by Loopz View Post
                                                                  Donegal is a strange place.
                                                                  But hey its cheap

Comment

I see Eircom is applying for examinership. That's them done so?

Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Well it is the fact that it is a jump of 20 quid that is my point.

Would a system where all the Drs charge the same amount for an appointment not be fair? People go to the family dr they have for years or the one closest.

Why is it illegal to have a set charge? as far as I am aware all the Drs in letterkenny charge the same for a visit, nurse visit, form stamping etc.
                                                                      It's illegal for all the doctors to get together and decide a price which they will all charge. It is price fixing and is the polar opposite of what we strive for in a competitive market.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                        Strangely my GP in Donnybrook is €50 so they are more extensive than D4 also.
                                                                        As a sole trader they can charge whatever they want tho and are not employed straight by the HSE. It is a business and due to cost of premises being lower in Donegal and the overall cost of living being overall cheaper I would expect this.
                                                                        I can see all the points etc but it just seems very expensive. €50 isn't too bad, but you just have to pray it's only you in your family that get sick!

We were all just chatting in class there about this and €40 seems to be around the norm. Some say if you get on well with the Dr and you are quick you can ask about another member of the family to be seen while you there.

The amount of money they must get is unreal, I couldn't get an appointment this week to the doctor. Tony was there with the eldest yesterday and was told I could get one next week.

I really am in the wrong business

Comment

Barcelona's official complaint to UEFA over the state of the pitch last night seems petty in the extreme.
                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Comment

It's illegal for all the doctors to get together and decide a price which they will all charge. It is price fixing and is the polar opposite of what we strive for in a competitive market.
                                                                              I didn't know it was illegal for Doctors to do that. I think it is crazy that it is law, most industries yes but in my own opinion I don't agree with it.

Comment

Actually, RDIII had it spot on earlier; what I was alluding to was to get into a dynamic and profitable company (early on if possible), carve out a 'unique' position for yourself (you need to have an office obv, where people can't see you not working) and earn six figures plus bonus each year for doing relatively little. The more indeterminate or open-ended the job title, the better - think 'Information Consultant' or 'Head of Synergy' and so on. I've seen it many times and expect to see it again!
                                                                                The idea of working for a company seems totally alien to me at this stage. Basically since I started my PhD in 2002, I've essentially been my own boss, coming and going as I please. I had a brief stint in Intel in '05 where a day wouldn't pass by where I wouldn't be considering a murderous rampage and be sickened by the slimy ladder climbers that tow the company line working 12-14 hours a day with pictures of the kids they never see on their desktops. There's something just about the scientific community wherein your ability to talk shit doesn't really come into it. You're solely judged on your output.
                                                                                'The office' culture really brings out the misanthropist in me, though in RDIII's eyes this makes me some sort of occupy wall st. hippy!

Comment

3. PRICE-SETTING
                                                                                  The Programme of Financial Support with the EU/IMF commits that … “no … exemptions to the
                                                                                  competition law framework will be granted unless they are entirely consistent with the goals of
                                                                                  the EU/IMF supported programme and the needs of the economy.” 57
                                                                                  In an interview with The Irish Times of 3rd January 2012, Minister for Health James Reilly, TD,
                                                                                  signalled that he was satisfied that professional bodies representing independent contractors such
                                                                                  as GP could enter into talks about the terms and conditions of State contracts and said that the
                                                                                  Government would not now change the Competition Act. He revealed that “a form of words” had
                                                                                  been received from the Competition Authority that “allow enough cover for the likes of the Irish
                                                                                  Medical Organisation to be involved in discussions with the Department [of Health] on terms and
                                                                                  conditions.” 6
                                                                                  This is in line with the Competition Authority’s stated position on the issue all along. The
                                                                                  Competition Authority has consistently stated that no exemption from competition law is required
                                                                                  to allow the IMO, or any other organisation representing independent contractors to the State, from
                                                                                  entering into discussions on fees or other terms and conditions of those contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                    Barcelona's official complaint to UEFA over the state of the pitch last night seems petty in the extreme.
                                                                                    There were Milan defenders all over the place and some guy hanging round the goal keeping the ball out.

Comment

I didn't know it was illegal for Doctors to do that. I think it is crazy that it is law, most industries yes but in my own opinion I don't agree with it.
                                                                                      Let's imagine it wasn't illegal and that they could get together and decide a price they will all charge. What makes you think it will be €40/50 rather than €70/80?

Comment

Let's imagine it wasn't illegal and that they could get together and decide a price they will all charge. What makes you think it will be €40/50 rather than €70/80?
                                                                                        What HH says is what I think. A cap on it. But as for the limit, that isn't up to me to decide!

/end

Comment

Some single parents might not be able to afford that out of the money they get. If they are working they don't get a medical card.

You can get a medical card if you are working and don't earn over the limit while working. Also if you don't qualify for a medical card due to earning to much you can try for a GP visit card which allows you free GP visits. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...sit_cards.html

Comment

Why? It's ridiculous that they are forced to play on a pitch so bad. It was the same against Arsenal. At one stage Alves fell over running towards the ball with no-one around him.

You're more likely to get injured playing on a bad pitch, as well as making the game less of a spectacle.

Comment

You can get a medical card if you are working and don't earn over the limit while working. Also if you don't qualify for a medical card due to earning to much you can try for a GP visit card which allows you free GP visits. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...sit_cards.html
                                                                                              Yeah, I worked with a fella a few years back that had a GP visit card. At the time the limit was actually quite high and he got it no problem.

Thankfully I am a student and don't have to worry about such things

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                  The Chief has to meet Hellmuth too, hopefully at the felt.
                                                                                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

No complaints just variance

Not one to throw up bad beats are complain about plays but these last 2 hands collectively made me cuse , i don't blame players nor site .. just bad luck variance... Hands 44&45 off 18 man sng

PokerStars - Hold'em Tournament - $100/200 Blinds - 9 Players
                                                                                                    18 man sng hand 44

MP3: $4,798
                                                                                                    CO: $4,639
                                                                                                    BTN: $3,280
                                                                                                    SB: $1,430
                                                                                                    BB: $1,656
                                                                                                    UTG: $910
                                                                                                    UTG+1: $3,331
                                                                                                    eixip60: $3,276
                                                                                                    MP2: $3,680

Pre-flop: Dealt to eixip60 Ks Kc
                                                                                                    (2 folds), eixip60 raises to $600, (4 folds), SB raises to $1,430 and is all-in, (1 folds), MP1 calls $830

Flop: ($3,060) 3s Ad Td (2 Players)
                                                                                                    Turn: ($3,060) 8c (2 Players)
                                                                                                    River: ($3,060) 6c (2 Players)

SB Showed 6s 6d
                                                                                                    Eixip60 Showed Ks Kc
                                                                                                    SB wins $3,060

PokerStars - Hold'em Tournament - $100/200 Blinds - 9 Players
                                                                                                    18 man sng hand 45

MP2: $4,798
                                                                                                    MP3: $4,639
                                                                                                    CO: $3,280
                                                                                                    BTN: $3,060
                                                                                                    SB: $1,456
                                                                                                    BB: $910
                                                                                                    UTG: $3,331
                                                                                                    eixip60: $1,846
                                                                                                    MP1: $3,680

Pre-flop: Dealt to eixip60 Ah Ad
                                                                                                    (1 folds), eixip60 raises to $1,846 and is all-in, (1 folds), MP2 raises to $4,798 and is all-in, (5 folds), MP2 returns $2,952

Flop: ($3,992) 4s Td 8h (2 Players)
                                                                                                    Turn: ($3,992) 3d (2 Players)
                                                                                                    River: ($3,992) Ks (2 Players)

eixip60 Showed Ah Ad
                                                                                                    MP2 Showed Ts Tc
                                                                                                    MP2 wins $3,992
                                                                                                    Victrix fortuna sapientia

Comment

email from someone there with the job title 'Sales Engineer'. That's just a made-up title surely?!
                                                                                                      Depends on the company. It should mean technical sales but your mileage may vary.
                                                                                                      May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Eh no free health care for kids imo. Kids will always be getting sick and while worrying for parents most are just small bugs.

Admitted if seriously sick but otherwise you will have overprotective mammies taking the piss and in with GP's twice a week. Kids will get over medicated and have weaker immune systems in the long run as they will be put on antibiotics constantly.

Also sounds expensive.
                                                                                                        I don't think having a fee on the GP visit will stop a concerned parent bringing their child to the doctor, it could however stretch them past the point of being able to cope financially. I get that new parents can over react at times, but not all of them will run to the GP at every opportunity, especially those that have grannies etc able to chip in with advice based on their own experience.

Personally I still think kids should be able to get free GP visits. It's ironic that those who don't work & therefore don't pay PRSI can get their GP (& their kids' GP) visits free, yet those who work & pay PRSI have to also then fork out for GP visits etc on top. Fwiw I'm not having a dig at people who have genuine reasons for having a medical card, just think the balance here is completely out of whack.

I could be wrong but I'd be very surprised if the HSE weren't legally allowed to decide on a nominal fee for kids' GP visits.
                                                                                                        Also, people don't always have the option to choose a cheaper service, it would be standard enough for people to use their local doctor, they all have their little catchment areas. I don't think it's fair for people to be forced to pay higher charges purely because of where they live.
                                                                                                        .
                                                                                                        . .

Comment

I fell off my bike yesterday and busted my knee open.

Went to St. James' Emergency Department in Dublin, got hit for €100 "government levy" on visits to a&e, waited for six hours (until 3:30 am) to get four stitches (took 15 mins), have to go to a GP in about a week's time to get them snipped off (probably €70), and a tenner for antibiotics.

I have good health insurance (which costs about €800) but won't be able to claim any of this (due to €300 excess).

The health service (like our female friends on occasion) be crazy!

Comment

email from someone there with the job title 'Sales Engineer'. That's just a made-up title surely?!
                                                                                                            Its actually not. Pre and Post sales are all over the place in IT. Basically what do is come in once the front line sales guys sell for instance a large crm suite and explain the nuts and bolts of how it will be implemented and what they can expect, how it will impact the other systems etc.

Basically they are the guys who really understand how the system works and will have come from a pure development side and moved more into the sales area. Basically they are out going and handsome developers who can be put in front of clients not like the other code monkeys who are kept in cages with keyboards.

They don't do cold emails tho so your guy probably just gave himself a grander title.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find the F*@k You Video (Full Tilt) by SrslySirius? It seems to be removed from You Tube. Website is no help

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                                Why? It's ridiculous that they are forced to play on a pitch so bad. It was the same against Arsenal. At one stage Alves fell over running towards the ball with no-one around him.

You're more likely to get injured playing on a bad pitch, as well as making the game less of a spectacle.
                                                                                                                It's not *that* bad, was the same pitch when Barca played there and won earlier in the season but no complaint. Pitch gets played on probably on average every 4/5 days with AC and Inter who play on alternate weekends in the league and both usually go deep enough in cups, twice as often as any other pitch would be used by non ground-sharing teams. So it's obviously more difficult to maintain a perfect playable surface. AFAIK no other team has ever lodged an official complaint before but obviously when Barca fail to win they adapt an indignant stance against what they feel was the main deterrent to playing their silky football and romping to victory. Club comes across pretty classless here imo.
                                                                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                                                    I fell off my bike yesterday and busted my knee open.

Went to St. James' Emergency Department in Dublin, got hit for €100 "government levy" on visits to a&e, waited for six hours (until 3:30 am) to get four stitches (took 15 mins), have to go to a GP in about a week's time to get them snipped off (probably €70), and a tenner for antibiotics.

I have good health insurance (which costs about €800) but won't be able to claim any of this (due to €300 excess).

The health service (like our female friends on occasion) be crazy!
                                                                                                                    That does suck. You can get a nurse or anyone really to take out the stiches tho. Not sure if you know one or a vet or anything but so long as it has healed it is not really a big thing to do.

Comment

Its actually not. Pre and Post sales are all over the place in IT. Basically what do is come in once the front line sales guys sell for instance a large crm suite and explain the nuts and bolts of how it will be implemented and what they can expect, how it will impact the other systems etc.

Basically they are the guys who really understand how the system works and will have come from a pure development side and moved more into the sales area. Basically they are out going and handsome developers who can be put in front of clients not like the other code monkeys who are kept in cages with keyboards.

They don't do cold emails tho so your guy probably just gave himself a grander title.
                                                                                                                      LOL, one of the IT places I formerly worked at had one of these guys, he was pretty sound and, as you said, looked normal in a suit and tie and wasn't socially awkward so was OK to place in front of existing and potential clients. He made a fortune in comparison to the 'caged code monkeys' (I like your imagery), who may have been much more talented from a technical standpoint and so were really upset about the perceived difference in value the company held them in.

From working in a number of IT companies, I smile thinking back about the contempt the technical guys felt for us in sales and marketing, and their anger at getting paid less, though they are the ones 'creating the product' - without a good sales team (and I never actually worked as a salesman so am not bigging them up or anything), the IT company has no revenue, the technical guys don't get paid and the product just doesn't matter, that's the way of the world!

Comment

It's not *that* bad, was the same pitch when Barca played there and won earlier in the season but no complaint. Pitch gets played on probably on average every 4/5 days with AC and Inter who play on alternate weekends in the league and both usually go deep enough in cups, twice as often as any other pitch would be used by non ground-sharing teams. So it's obviously more difficult to maintain a perfect playable surface. AFAIK no other team has ever lodged an official complaint before but obviously when Barca fail to win they adapt an indignant stance against what they feel was the main deterrent to playing their silky football and romping to victory. Club comes across pretty classless here imo.
                                                                                                                        Wenger complained about it as well, although given the manner of the defeat there it obviously didn't have a material affect of the outcome. I don't think it's too much to expect to have the later stages of the best football tournament in the world played on a good pitch. Plenty of other teams ground share and they seem to manage ok.

In the long run it can only be good if they lodge a complaint, at worst it does nothing, at best the pitch gets improved. I don't think it's acceptable to have to play on a pitch when any player is liable to fall over at any time. I remember attacks by both sides that were aided by defenders falling over at crucial times. It happened against Arsenal as well for one of the goals. You could see in how angry Alves was how this pitch was way worse than anything they are used to.

Comment

Regarding doctors visits, this may interest some people depending on where you are and if it takes off.

X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X