This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
    WW2 with modern weapons would start out with Germany having a huge advantage in technology and resources - not both sides somehow miraculously having exactly the same weapons.
    My point was that the advances in modern weapons, mean that WWII type conflict doesn't happen anymore. Reducing bloodshed.

If you taking it as give the german army, modern german made weapons, and austria, poland, france etc their own modern weapons. (i'm not even sure this is your point)
    Well, that's a bit silly. German weapons are used throughout the world. And made outside of germany. I'd be pretty sure their advances are mainly down to US backing and funding.
    Then you have nuclear arms. Which are pretty much everywhere except german hands.
    Last edited by Mellor; 16-02-12, 05:55.

Comment

Hadn't heard gift grub in about a month, was a really good one on this morning about the government selling off all the state assets.

Comment

Haha, Suarez leading by example

Comment

Originally posted by Loopz View Post
          @RD3
          I've been looking after our 3 kids (7yr, 4yr and 18months) since the wife went back to work after maternity leave. It was a no brainer for us to take this line, building boom was well bust and after doing a few computer courses I wouldn't be commanding much more of a salary than what childcare would have cost so I wasn't happy to do that.

School runs are the biggest pain in the hole you will only have collected one fed him and then your out the door again. Its prolly the only downside to it, the buzz I get off the 18month old after looking after him the last year is undescribable and its easily the strongest bond that i have with any of them. My relationship with the 2 older lads has also become closer as you would expect. It is alot of hard work but very rewarding, you would be mad not to give it a go.

thanks Loopz, luckily both school and Montessori are within a 5 minute walk (or a 2 minute drive if I'm feeling lazy)

amazed no-one here has told me not to do it (mind you a certain IPB'er has expressed the opinion that I should pretend to have a job so that I can get out of the childminding bit )

Tax system in this country is utterly nuts btw, this may be an unusual situation but getting a new job straight away would appear to be -EV on pretty much all fronts.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I see the property developer who ran over the guy that robbed his house was found not guilty. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...311853901.html

Was inititally against the property developer, thought he had taken vigilante justice too far. Reading over it though, he claimed he was trying to restrain the thief so garda could arrest him. In the circumstances, I dont think i would have convicted him.

Shocking that the scummer got a suspended sentence for a repeat offence. Clear message to every other hood that shows breaking and entering is ++EV. Plus the 175k civil claim he got, were his expectations of earnings based on how many houses he could rob over the course of a year, and the average price of snide gear on the black market?
            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              thanks Loopz, luckily both school and Montessori are within a 5 minute walk (or a 2 minute drive if I'm feeling lazy)

amazed no-one here has told me not to do it (mind you a certain IPB'er has expressed the opinion that I should pretend to have a job so that I can get out of the childminding bit )

Tax system in this country is utterly nuts btw, this may be an unusual situation but getting a new job straight away would appear to be -EV on pretty much all fronts.
              You were the one who said looking after three kids would overwhelm you! I was just giving you an option!!

The real nub of the issue is your future employment prospects in April 2012, January 2013 or even in 3-4 years time in Ireland. You are best placed to answer that question but nothing is certain that's for sure. Personally I think I'd enjoy the time with the kids and take my time assessing what the job market had to offer.

You could always pursue the cfa level one in dec if you wanted something to work towards in order that your period of unemployment has some productive element from a future employers perspective.

The biggest problem is the future banking prospects in ireland. If you got offered a good job in Ireland starting in April you'd be mad to pass it up as there may not be too many well paid banking jobs in 2 years time.

The tax and social welfare system is totally dysfunctional but it will probably only last until 2014 in its current crazy state. After that the combination of work activation measures and some more well thought out income tax objectives will hopefully start to break through. Otherwise I'm going to work on a plan of a max of 6 months paid employment and 6 months enjoying myself and working on business projects every year. Anything else just appears to be crazy.
              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post
                If you can guarantee your long term career and earnings after a 9+ month break, then there's clearly no question, if there's any doubt about that then likewise there's no question.

I'd be pretty certain you already know the answer deep down...
                I wouldn't even worry about that too much, there is lots of other careers out there. I mean a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and bringing home the bacon is the no 1 chore. But when you've been dead for 100 million years that will only be the start of it and in 10 years time you won't ever have small children again.
                The time they need loads of your money is when they are older and the time they need loads of time is now.
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                  I see the property developer who ran over the guy that robbed his house was found not guilty. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...311853901.html

Was inititally against the property developer, thought he had taken vigilante justice too far. Reading over it though, he claimed he was trying to restrain the thief so garda could arrest him. In the circumstances, I dont think i would have convicted him.

Shocking that the scummer got a suspended sentence for a repeat offence. Clear message to every other hood that shows breaking and entering is ++EV. Plus the 175k civil claim he got, were his expectations of earnings based on how many houses he could rob over the course of a year, and the average price of snide gear on the black market?
                  Macspower must be wishing he got put in front of a Jury.
                  Guy showed some restraint in not reversing back over the scummer.
                  I heard him interviewed on radio this morning, he sticks well to the line that he was following yer man around until the Guards came and he doesn't remember what happened that he hit him the second time.
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                    one unemployed bum giving employment advice to another unemployed bum.
                    Coming from a man who's employers specialize in taking welfare payments from unemployed bums

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                      one unemployed bum giving employment advice to another unemployed bum.
                      Haters gonna hate. Did you move to balbriggan yet? Or just renegotiate the rent btw?

PS once you get married Noel and start sharing/swapping tax credits this both working 100% of the time lark looks really silly.
                      Last edited by V for Vendetta; 16-02-12, 10:01.
                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                        I wouldn't even worry about that too much, there is lots of other careers out there. I mean a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and bringing home the bacon is the no 1 chore. But when you've been dead for 100 million years that will only be the start of it and in 10 years time you won't ever have small children again.
                        The time they need loads of your money is when they are older and the time they need loads of time is now.
                        At least macs only got community service and no civil damages!! 175k in damages plus legal costs I think I'd prefer 6 mths in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                          @HJ
                          Yeah of course, if they were on one side only. Then it just feeds the slaughter and we'd all be speaking German now. But with modern technology on both sides, the Blitzkrieg and similar wouldn't of happened.

Atila the Hun with Ak-47s would of been a disaster too
                          I'm sure people would have been a bit perturbed by the multiple daily hand histories but disastrous is a bit ott.
                          Profit before people.

Comment

Murder in the Bog of Allen last night. Looks like some kind of turf war

Comment

Macspower must be wishing he got put in front of a Jury.
                              Guy showed some restraint in not reversing back over the scummer.
                              I heard him interviewed on radio this morning, he sticks well to the line that he was following yer man around until the Guards came and he doesn't remember what happened that he hit him the second time.
                              Come on now,the law says 'reasonable force'.Reasonable.I don't see how knocking down and possibly killing someone is reasonable.Then knocking them down a second time.

When the judge suspended the burglars sentence,I'm sure he took his injuries into consideration as punishment already served.
                              Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Macspower must be wishing he got put in front of a Jury.Guy showed some restraint in not reversing back over the scummer.
                                Cliffs on this part, if its for public consumption?

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                  Cliffs on this part, if its for public consumption?

Comment

Murder in the Bog of Allen last night. Looks like some kind of turf war

Alot of trouble in the local chipper here aswell last night.

2 sausages got battered.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                      At least macs only got community service and no civil damages!! 175k in damages plus legal costs I think I'd prefer 6 mths in prison.
                                      I am sure that 175k was paid from his car insurance company, fecking hope so.
                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Big riot in the Duracell factory.

Gardai have charged two batterys.

Comment

Cops also arrested a kid for eating fireworks.

They let him off soon after.

Comment

Negreanus video blog is fairly epic

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                                              Alot of trouble in the local chipper here aswell last night.

2 sausages got battered.
                                              Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                              Big riot in the Duracell factory.

Gardai have charged two batterys.
                                              Cops also arrested a kid for eating fireworks.

They let him off soon after.

Originally posted by Hurricane Fly View Post
                                              Negreanus video blog is fairly epic
                                              I don't really get your one Hurricane.

Comment

The tax and social welfare system is totally dysfunctional but it will probably only last until 2014 in its current crazy state. After that the combination of work activation measures and some more well thought out income tax objectives will hopefully start to break through. Otherwise I'm going to work on a plan of a max of 6 months paid employment and 6 months enjoying myself and working on business projects every year. Anything else just appears to be crazy.
                                                I was only thinking about this last night actually - if you could easily get fairly well paid work on a consistent basis (that's the hard part obviously), the smart play is to work 1 year at a time, 1st July through 30th June, year-on-year. Pay feck all tax and enjoy 6 months non wage-slavery each calendar year. I've done the same myself a good few times and I heartily recommend it!

Though I have definitely impacted my maximum earning potential I'm sure, but that doesn't worry me too much for some reason.

Comment

Thought this was pretty funny from Off the Post

Comment

Also I see that the Worlds greatest Blogger now has a Meme

Comment

Ze girlfriend has started writing a blog on bringing up a child in Ireland and some other more general observations and themes. Promised I would give it a shout out on here.

Comment

Breaking Bad Question
                                                        Can anyone translate (no subtitles available to me) what the agreement between Los Pollos owner and the two mexican nutters is about? First off when they originally meet up and secondly in the desert when they mention Hank.

If anyone can then maybe spoiler it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                          Ze girlfriend has started writing a blog on bringing up a child in Ireland and some other more general observations and themes. Promised I would give it a shout out on here.

http://goonyougirlsingreen.blogspot.com/

Is the young fella in the pic a son/nephew maybe?
                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

For the doom merchants, namely Raul and V, what do you make of our bond situation?

2 year:

5 year:

9 year:

Seems the Government have done a very good job in steadying the ship so far and things are looking good? Not everything is perfect but they seem to be going in the right direction with the helpful had of IMF/EU . Alot done, more to do you could say.

Comment

@Hitch.

Noticed yesterday that Aldi sell Berocca Effervescent Energise tablets, 20 in a pack for €1.19

The fact that they contain up to 945% of the RDA of each ingredient is a bit of a puzzler tbh, seems like an acknowledgement that they do fuck all.

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                              Canadian homicide rate: 1.62 per 100,000
                                                              Canadian gun ownership rate: 23.8 per 100

So many more examples, Switzerland, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Cyprus etc all have very high gun ownsership rates but low firearm homicide rates.

My original post was more tongue in cheek than anything else, but frankly if someone is going to kill someone they'll find a way with or without a gun.
                                                              Whether a relevant or not, all the countries listed have mandatory military service of some kind, except Canada.

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                              I posted earlier in the football betting thread, Rangers vs. Kilmarnock this weekend. Kilmarnock are currently 17/2.

I wouldn't be advising a lump on, but 17/2 is worth a tenner or a score before the price drops.
                                                              9/1 on betfair.
                                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                For the doom merchants, namely Raul and V, what do you make of our bond situation?

2 year:

5 year:

9 year:

Seems the Government have done a very good job in steadying the ship so far and things are looking good? Not everything is perfect but they seem to be going in the right direction with the helpful had of IMF/EU . Alot done, more to do you could say.
                                                                question; where do you think the demand for Irish debt is coming from?

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post

9/1 on betfair.
                                                                  aye, just catching up on the news at the moment. There's an adminiostrators press conference at 3.30, but it's not expected for contracts to be reviewed until next week.
                                                                  Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Breaking Bad Question
                                                                    Can anyone translate (no subtitles available to me) what the agreement between Los Pollos owner and the two mexican nutters is about? First off when they originally meet up and secondly in the desert when they mention Hank.

If anyone can then maybe spoiler it?

Thanks
                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                    the 2 mexicans ar Tukos cousins who Hank shot and killed. They are goin after Walter at first and Gus them to wait til after he has enough meth and then they can have him...Then in the desert Gus tells the 2 brothers who shot Tuko and gives Hanks name

Comment

You were the one who said looking after three kids would overwhelm you! I was just giving you an option!!

The real nub of the issue is your future employment prospects in April 2012, January 2013 or even in 3-4 years time in Ireland. You are best placed to answer that question but nothing is certain that's for sure. Personally I think I'd enjoy the time with the kids and take my time assessing what the job market had to offer.

You could always pursue the cfa level one in dec if you wanted something to work towards in order that your period of unemployment has some productive element from a future employers perspective.

The biggest problem is the future banking prospects in ireland. If you got offered a good job in Ireland starting in April you'd be mad to pass it up as there may not be too many well paid banking jobs in 2 years time.

Maybe a foolish and uneducated opinion but would your reasons for not working, -EV in taxation, not show future employers how savvy you are?
                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

^^^
                                                                        Thanks Charlie, thought it was something like that.

Comment

Lads the bro is getting married on Valentines Day next year (puke, i kno) and its time to think about the stag. I think we are down to the either Aintree or Cheltenham late nov/early Dec. Can anyone give me info on what would be the best way to go about looking for a good deals for these places, might squeeze a 'pool or toffs game in if we go to Liverpool.

Looking at around 25/30 headen over.

Comment

anyone playing at the Aquarium tonight?

Comment

@ Zod can you clear up if you are actually in fact working or not in reference to your "I was never asked!" post from last night, I haven't seen a reply to my explanation.
                                                                              "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

amazed no-one here has told me not to do it(mind you a certain IPB'er has expressed the opinion that I should pretend to have a job so that I can get out of the childminding bit )

Dont do it for your career sake. Wont someone think of the careers?

Seriously tho 9 months is a big hole in your cv especially when you consider that when you decide ou want back in you are prob talking a min of 3 months at your level before you start. That is presumming you find a job you like the look of straight away in Ireland.

When you go to the interview and get asked what were you up to, travelling sick and answer I stayed with the kids and I get this every so often it is the worst possible situation.

Sounds like your priorities have changed, you will now need more time off to spend with them, wont want to work late or extra on weekends basically you have lost your edge MR Duke. That is basically what clicks in my head and every hiring managers mind. We have decide to hire this other guy who pushes small kids over to get to work quicker. He seems like less of a risk.

Yes long term paternity was fine in the boom but it ain't the case anymore. Skills go slightly out of date and it is tough to get back in. I would say that 90% of the people I place already have jobs and and the 9% have been travelling or just made redundant.

This leaves a whopping 1% of people I deal with who are long term out. I think he state classes 6 mths as long term unemployed just think how low it is for big companies. My margin of error is 1% as I cant remember doing it but may have put someone in who was out for a while.

There is your balance. Nice guys saying love your kids me saying love your kids but be prepared to pay a real financial price. You might not say you made the right choice on your death bed but you probably will when you are on a beach in the Caymans

Comment

anyone playing at the Aquarium tonight?
                                                                                  it's possible

Comment

Come on now,the law says 'reasonable force'.Reasonable.I don't see how knocking down and possibly killing someone is reasonable.Then knocking them down a second time.

When the judge suspended the burglars sentence,I'm sure he took his injuries into consideration as punishment already served.
                                                                                    I would be a fairly placid individual but would be of the strong opinion that anybody breaking into your house is fair game.

No reasonable force, no need to be in fear of your life, no need to make a case that you were defending yourself

If the scummy fuckin cnut broke in, you can go to town on his ass and then roll the dead body down the driveway to be collected by the bin men the next morning.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                      @ Zod can you clear up if you are actually in fact working or not in reference to your "I was never asked!" post from last night, I haven't seen a reply to my explanation.
                                                                                      Sorry Danny, I thought my reply to Dom after that post (but before your reply) would have cleared it up. Yes, I am working but given enough notice could have gotten the time off (that said, you were only contacted last week, so probably a moot point).

I didn't actually mean it to sound like I was offended at not being asked, so don't worry yourself on that point. Can absolutely understand why you wouldn't want to take on a UKIPT on your own, and especially one so soon after a run of similar events.

didn't see a need to reply given your explination
                                                                                      It's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                        We have decide to hire this other guy who pushes small kids over to get to work quicker.
                                                                                        but...but...but I'll be pushing small kids over all day long. I'll even steal their candy if that's what it takes.

it's still under review anyway, was actually hoping you would give your opinion so thanks. I know what you're saying, it's the equivalent of me looking at the just-married 33 y/o female accountant in an interview and subliminally going 'nooooooo, give me a man ffs'. Has happened many's a time.

Your Engerland bet still live btw, God knows how.

Comment

saw this on twitter ...........

My mom texted me, "What does IDK, LY & TTYL mean?" I said- "I dont know, love u, talk to u later." Mom: "Ok, I'll ask your brother

Comment

Sorry Danny, I thought my reply to Dom after that post (but before your reply) would have cleared it up. Yes, I am working but given enough notice could have gotten the time off (that said, you were only contacted last week, so probably a moot point).

I didn't actually mean it to sound like I was offended at not being asked, so don't worry yourself on that point. Can absolutely understand why you wouldn't want to take on a UKIPT on your own, and especially one so soon after a run of similar events.

didn't see a need to reply given your explination
                                                                                            It's all good.
                                                                                            Cool beans.
                                                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Seriously tho 9 months is a big hole in your cv especially when you consider that when you decide ou want back in you are prob talking a min of 3 months at your level before you start. That is presumming you find a job you like the look of straight away in Ireland.

When you go to the interview and get asked what were you up to, travelling sick and answer I stayed with the kids and I get this every so often it is the worst possible situation.

Sounds like your priorities have changed, you will now need more time off to spend with them, wont want to work late or extra on weekends basically you have lost your edge MR Duke. That is basically what clicks in my head and every hiring managers mind. We have decide to hire this other guy who pushes small kids over to get to work quicker. He seems like less of a risk.

Yes long term paternity was fine in the boom but it ain't the case anymore. Skills go slightly out of date and it is tough to get back in. I would say that 90% of the people I place already have jobs and and the 9% have been travelling or just made redundant.

This leaves a whopping 1% of people I deal with who are long term out. I think he state classes 6 mths as long term unemployed just think how low it is for big companies. My margin of error is 1% as I cant remember doing it but may have put someone in who was out for a while.

There is your balance. Nice guys saying love your kids me saying love your kids but be prepared to pay a real financial price. You might not say you made the right choice on your death bed but you probably will when you are on a beach in the Caymans
                                                                                              Baldwin talks business. Find out more at www.OriginalAnthem.com
                                                                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                If the scummy fuckin cnut broke in, you can go to town on his ass and then roll the dead body down the driveway to be collected by the bin men the next morning.
                                                                                                true story alert; chatting to South African colleague one day and he told me the story of his brother. Was broken into by two dudes, he of course was armed to the teeth and shot both of them. They ran out of the house and into the driveway where he quite deliberately shot one of them in the head at close range. The other one managed to get away (was caught later) out the gate. Then he called the cops.

Two (luckily for him) white cops turned up and stand around chatting to yer man while having a smoke over the body of the dead robber. Eventually one of them takes him aside and points out that this only qualifies as justifiable homicide if the guy is shot dead inside the house. Outside the house and you are in a shitload of trouble and probably facing plenty of jail time. They then assist him to bring the body into the hallway, firstly advising him to move his nice rug so as to avoid getting bloodstains on it. Then they call the rest of the cop squad in to photograph the scene etc.

Community policing at its finest.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                                                                                  as true now as it was during the last down turn. Business is business but love that speech

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                    Maybe a foolish and uneducated opinion but would your reasons for not working, -EV in taxation, not show future employers how savvy you are?
                                                                                                    no, as RichieM says it would probably get you flagged as an undesirable

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                      I would be a fairly placid individual but would be of the strong opinion that anybody breaking into your house is fair game.

No reasonable force, no need to be in fear of your life, no need to make a case that you were defending yourself

Yeah but your man had his two legs broken two miles from the house.
                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Look where working got the world..nowhere...need to try chilling now and see how that works.

Comment

Originally posted by reilly110 View Post
                                                                                                          loving the docs dating story

run better doc
                                                                                                          such a lol @ the doc, run better o reilly moment if ever i saw one.

I can imagine Reilly steaming like crazy at the table if this happened. Steam bellowing from his ears as he'd turn to her saying "get comfortable woman, we're having a few deserts"

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                                                          saw this on twitter ...........

My mom texted me, "What does IDK, LY & TTYL mean?" I said- "I dont know, love u, talk to u later." Mom: "Ok, I'll ask your brother
                                                                                                          had to rob that, such a thing my mother would actually send
                                                                                                          GAA News Website

Comment

no, as RichieM says it would probably get you flagged as an undesirable
                                                                                                            To this I would say probably but not really for the same reason. Companies like to hire guys who want to do nothing but work and that is their number 1 priority in life with hobbies and families just keeping them from getting board between work days.

In other positions they do want people to have external interests as the work is a little less challenging and the salaries lots lower so to avoid depression and burnout what they do outside will keep them sane.

Basically the boys at the tops of corporations are a different breed who just live to work and fucking love doing it.

Comment

Basically the boys at the tops of corporations are a different breed who just live to work and fucking love doing it.
                                                                                                              don't have any desire to be in that bracket (probably shouldn't admit that to you ) as I know far too many of these already

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                Look where working got the world..nowhere...need to try chilling now and see how that works.
                                                                                                                Kinda like saying I have tried walking but will try giving that up. Cutting off one of your legs and seeing if you like it.

You might enjoy the wheelchair for a bit but when you decide you are sick of it you can maybe get some prosthetics and hobble around but you won be able to run like you used to again.

Terrible metaphor I know

Comment

A lot of this post (while in no way a dig at you) sums up pretty much what is wrong in the world today, imo

I took a two year and a half year break from work back in the middle of 2007 and when I decided to go back, it was relatively easy. Obviously, there wasn't as many jobs as there would have been before I left but still enough to get work. I managed after only a couple of interviews to go back into the workforce at the same level I left and the tired and trusted excuse for the big gap on the CV as travel and looking after my sick father went down without any issues.

Originally posted by RichieM
                                                                                                                  Yes, of course your priorities have changed, you have three 3 kids. It does not mean that you are no longer able to do the job that you are highly trained for and extremely competent to do.

Why should you have to work late and work weekends? If the workload is so great that it can't be done by one person during normal business hours, then you need to hire another person, not make people work 12 hour days plus weekends**

If it is just on an odd occasion that you need to work late, then it shouldn't be a problem, even if you are a family man/woman as it will be rare.

I find that the majority of people who end up working overtime are the ones on a fixed salary and who don't get overtime as a result.

The main reason for having to work overtime comes in the form of 'Don't complain about having to do unpaid overtime. You're lucky to have a job' - No, I am not lucky to have a job, I have a job because I am very good at what I do and I make a lot of profit for this company!

**By the way, this is coming from a person who regularly works 12 hours days but since the start of 2012, I have refused point black to work weekends any more

Unless you are working in an extremely high tech industry, then your skills are not going to go out of date over the course of a year to 18 months. For example, in RDIII's case, what are they doing in banking / finance now that is so radically different to say, 10 years ago? (apart from giving out mortgages of course )

Again, this is fundamentally wrong imo and it's become something that is spouted out by large corporations until it sits in everyones mind. You can't have a good successful job and be a family person at the same time. It's just horse shit and feeds on peoples fears that unless they work 85 hour weeks, they will never be successfull, and people who aren't successfull can never have all the nice things in life, cos the only nice things in life are a snazzy care and a big amazing over the top house that Hello magazine want to come and take pictures of...bollixology

/end rant (sorry for picking on your post. Again, not aimed at you personally)

Comment

Borrowed from a facebook friend

Comment

don't have any desire to be in that bracket (probably shouldn't admit that to you ) as I know far too many of these already
                                                                                                                      For sure but when you are looking to move you will at least need to pretend.

Comment

Originally posted by Marsden02 View Post
                                                                                                                        Lads the bro is getting married on Valentines Day next year (puke, i kno) and its time to think about the stag. I think we are down to the either Aintree or Cheltenham late nov/early Dec. Can anyone give me info on what would be the best way to go about looking for a good deals for these places, might squeeze a 'pool or toffs game in if we go to Liverpool.

Looking at around 25/30 headen over.

Not sure if your mind is made up yet, but if you're still open to ideas consider Lahinch or Kilkenny. Probably the latter due to time of year.

I've been to about a dozen stags, all over the place including Alicante and all the popular north England cities.

Lahinch was by a far far distance the best destination, with Kilkenny a close second.

Imo North England cities, Liverpool, Newcastle Manchester are boring photocopies of each other, filthy kips, crappy drink, shitty food, scangers everywhere.

Stay in Ireland, far better on so many levels. We stayed an extra day in Lahinch, because we could, no hungover taxi trip to the airport, we could come and go as we pleased. A lot more will go too.

I've a stags next August, we're hiring a couple of boats on the Shannon. Looking forward to that one.
                                                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Most people in a job need a job shocker.

If you want to work for a company who wants blinkered work junkies then that's fine. If you want to work for a company which is looking for people who are fresh and bubbling with ideas and enthusiasm then don't be afraid to become that person. All this technology, all this productivity and flexible working options and we shackle ourselves at our prime to pay the mortgage. Sweat your own assets for yourself for a change.

In a lifetime of booms and busts and a global marketplace we have more freedom then any generation of serfs before. Don't panic.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X