This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
    I'm guessing it is the principle of the FA doing it over his head, as well as the innocent until guilty aspect of it that annoyed him so much. The FA probably wanted him to publicly apologise and he told them where to jump, and rightly so.
    Any manager worth their salt would resign in Capello's position. The FA have handled the whole thing atrociously.

In saying that Terry should have stepped down himself in the 1st place. Guilty or not.

Comment

some day I will run well online

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
        everytime I go on words with friends , chrome either crashes or I get a message that shockwave flash is unresponsive. Anyone else get this?

What could be wrong?

I cant get onto it all
        Only happens when I have another window open with a flash plug-in running.

Fancy an ass-kicking now actually?
        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
          where is a good place to get photos put on canvass?

Try these based out in Dun Laoghaire.

Steve posts over on boards as stcstc

Shop online for Prints, Mount, Frames & More Find Out More Prints are available in bespoke sizes, suitable for the finest of exhibitions. Available in a large range of finishes and papers. Find Out More We mount on lots of substrates, including dibond & mdf Find Out More We have a

Comment

hand back the company vehicle and phone tomorrow, going to be so weird to be finally finished up with the company, been there 7 years. Huge change ahead, back to working in an office environment instead of on the road, but excited at the new challenge. Plus, signing a contract with "EA games" at the top of it is awesome Free games!!!
            http://mobro.co/zuroph
            donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

I'm guessing it is the principle of the FA doing it over his head, as well as the innocent until guilty aspect of it that annoyed him so much. The FA probably wanted him to publicly apologise and he told them where to jump, and rightly so.
              The innocent until proven guilty argument just doesn't stand up at all, he simply couldn't be allowed lead the national team with a charge like that sitting over his head. Its the very same as the Cabinet Minister , Huhne resigning his post last week when he was eventually charged with transferring penalty points to another licence.
              I doubt very much that Capello is too dumb to understand that so I'd suspect that there was more serious breakdown in communication going on between him and the FA and he went out of his way to get fired.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I believe the correct terminology is "like a boss"
                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Seen a good chase close up of two knacker driven hi-ace vans by a cavalcade of marked and unmarked garda cars around the coachmans airport roundabout at high speed a bit earlier this evening as i was stopped on the roundabout. Must have been 8 cars in hot pursuit of the two vans. I figure the travellers were on the lam after the teenage girl shooting and the garda want to collar some scroats for info.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                    surely all the Leinster heads will agree that ROG must start on Saturday? Theres no point trying to spread the ball to a misfiring backline especially if Earls is going back in at 13. What was annoying against Wales is that Sexton seemed to be kicking in behind them a lot in the 2nd half and missed a few kicks. Surely if you want to play ROG's game you don't get a poor mans impersonator to do it.

We need to win in Paris. Without ROG there is no

The most galling thing from Sunday's debacle for me was the amount of people I came across who had a reaction along the lines of 'ah well, we didn't deserve to win - it would have been a disgrace if the Welsh had lost'. What the fuck? Who cares about the Welsh or who "should" win matches all of a sudden? You play to win the fucking game. We fucked it up royally on Sunday, one of the least pleasant Irish Rugby experiences I can remember (and there's been a few).

To be perfectly honest, it might be time to start thinking about whether we could develop a third option at outhalf between now and the world cup. I don't think we're ever going to do a whole lot with Sexton as the starter.
                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      The innocent until proven guilty argument just doesn't stand up at all, he simply couldn't be allowed lead the national team with a charge like that sitting over his head. Its the very same as the Cabinet Minister , Huhne resigning his post last week when he was eventually charged with transferring penalty points to another licence.
                      I doubt very much that Capello is too dumb to understand that so I'd suspect that there was more serious breakdown in communication going on between him and the FA and he went out of his way to get fired.
                      But do you think they should have went over his head to do it? Also, the England captaincy is not comparable to an elected official who is a government minister. I agree that there would have been a huge distraction if he was captain, and that would have been the main focus of the media a lot of the time, but he should have been involved in the decision to do it, rather than the FA just deciding to do it due to the usual tabloid media circus.

Comment

Also, Man on a Ledge is an awful mess, but Genesis Rodriguez lit up the screen (and other things ) throughout:

God damn

Comment

Danny co-commentating on the deepstack stream at the mo

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                            Also, Man on a Ledge is an awful mess
                            Was it ever going to be anything else really? The trailers look terrible, and it's the worst film title since "Snakes on a Plane", which although I haven't see it, has a decent cult following I believe.

Comment

Was it ever going to be anything else really? The trailers look terrible, and it's the worst film title since "Snakes on a Plane", which although I haven't see it, has a decent cult following I believe.
                              Ah yeah, but you know - Unlimited card and all that.

Obviously they manage to work "We have a man on a ledge" into the dialogue within the first 15 minutes of the film. Well played lads, well played.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                Only happens when I have another window open with a flash plug-in running.

Fancy an ass-kicking now actually?
                                ok Rooney, im waiting!!! your move

I would say I have no hope here lol
                                Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

Had a couple of pints with a massive side order of schadenfreude listening to the locals ranting on Fabio

Great entertainment imo
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

But do you think they should have went over his head to do it?
                                    I'd speculate that either they did tell him how it was going to be and he went on TV because he wanted out or they did not discuss it because the FA wanted him out.

Comment

The FA certainly could not have handled the situation worse, and I can completely understand why Capello resigned, but I'm amused and bemused at Capello's persistent devotion to Terry ... He reinstated Terry as captain when there appeared no pressing need to do so, and couldn't countenance the idea that a player whose best days are behind him, who is deeply unpopular among teammates, who is no stranger to controversy and who will have to play the next major tournament under the shadow of a court case should not be captain.

Tbh the whole scenario feels like Capello wanted out, the FA wanted him gone, and this was a convenient pretence for a parting of the ways.

The idea of a lovelorn Capello telling the mean blazers at the Fa to leave his bff alone does make me chuckle though

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                        Had a couple of pints with a massive side order of schadenfreude listening to the locals ranting on Fabio

Great entertainment imo
                                        Tell em that Grooverider is his natural replacement

Comment

Great entertainment imo
                                          Interview with Roy Keane on England's exit from the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

Seems to me that any Senior Manager in any professional walk of life would be likely to resign if they weren't consulted by the board of directors before their key appointee was demoted. Fair play to Capello. The FA is an absolute shambles of an organisation and that has been ruthlessly exposed (through their own doing) over the past few months.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MidWe...17622831832879
                                            http://mayopubpoker.com/

Comment

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by dazzler View Post
                                                The FA certainly could not have handled the situation worse, and I can completely understand why Capello resigned, but I'm amused and bemused at Capello's persistent devotion to Terry ... He reinstated Terry as captain when there appeared no pressing need to do so, and couldn't countenance the idea that a player whose best days are behind him, who is deeply unpopular among teammates, who is no stranger to controversy and who will have to play the next major tournament under the shadow of a court case should not be captain.

Tbh the whole scenario feels like Capello wanted out, the FA wanted him gone, and this was a convenient pretence for a parting of the ways.

The idea of a lovelorn Capello telling the mean blazers at the Fa to leave his bff alone does make me chuckle though
                                                Football managers choose captains. If there are extraordinary circumstances and a national association (or club chairman) are adamant that the captain of the manager's choosing must be stripped of the honour, then they should obviously consult with the manager before making / announcing such a decision.

Going to be a lot of drooling John Terry haters missing the point on this one.

Comment

Football managers choose captains. If there are extraordinary circumstances and a national association (or club chairman) are adamant that the captain of the manager's choosing must be stripped of the honour, then they should obviously consult with the manager before making / announcing such a decision.
                                                  Why?

Comment

Big Sessy

Comment

Shockingly in complete agreement with Lloyd on a football matter

Comment

Why?
                                                        LOL

I'll play:

because you hire the manager to take responsibility for all footballing issues
                                                        because choosing a captain is an important aspect of setting authority in the dressing room
                                                        because it is mere courtesy to inform the man who you hired to take responsibility for all footballing issues before you override one of those decisions
                                                        and ultimately because by behaving in this fashion, the FA demonstrated an utter lack of respect for one of the finest coaches of the modern era

Comment

I have had a really shit last three weeks here, back & neck in bits, face killing me recently, work has been really shit, literally nothing went right and was considering packing it all in and moving to bahamas. everything was one problem after another.

Today however I had a meeting with a decent enough school and now I have my first paying rugby coaching job. its not much but really has brightened my day up a lot. Still have a long way to go but its nice all the same

Comment

Going to be a lot of drooling John Terry haters missing the point on this one.
                                                            The FA did contact Capello before the announcement (though I'll concede it would be a stretch to say they consulted him) and were aware that he was going to react negatively. It seems reasonable then that they considered the possibility that Capello would step down, and weren't especially put out by it.

Comment

Should of never been given captain armband back after last time.........my 2 cent worth
                                                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/MidWe...17622831832879
                                                              http://mayopubpoker.com/

Comment

Can't get HM HUD to appear on paddy power. The hands are been saved and appearing in HM, but I can't find the location on my C drive. There's nothing in the C:Poker/paddypower folder.

Any ideas?
                                                                NextStopWhoKnows

Comment

Why all the fuss about Capello?

Its not like he is the 1st Italian to jump a sinking ship.

Comment

LOL

I'll play:

because choosing a captain is an important aspect of setting authority in the dressing room
                                                                    because it is mere courtesy to inform the man who you hired to take responsibility for all footballing issues before you override one of those decisions
                                                                    and ultimately because by behaving in this fashion, the FA demonstrated an utter lack of respect for one of the finest coaches of the modern era
                                                                    So you think its plausible that England could be allowed to go to Euro 12 with Terry as Capitan?

That would be even more imbecilic than the drool you were spilling earlier.

Comment

'bands of roving cannibals roamed the land', Europe 1933. Yikes.

I wonder was there cannibalism during the Famine here? Logic says there must have been but I've never seen any historical reference to it.

Comment

Pick one coach, per continent, that you feel has had the greatest fucking-over in recent history? You can exclude North America and Australasia. Interesting exercise.

Fabio Capello

Comment

So you think its plausible that England could be allowed to go to Euro 12 with Terry as Capitan?

That would be even more imbecilic than the drool you were spilling earlier.
                                                                          Yes, of course. He remains club captain at chelsea, and has yet to be proven guilty of any offence.

Comment

'bands of roving cannibals roamed the land', Europe 1933. Yikes.

I wonder was there cannibalism during the Famine here? Logic says there must have been but I've never seen any historical reference to it.
                                                                            My housemate who studied History with me in UCD just nodded when I asked the above question, though I never came across any myself.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                              Fabio Capello
                                                                              Lol, his accountant says no

Comment

My housemate who studied History with me in UCD just nodded when I asked the above question, though I never came across any myself.
                                                                                Can he reference a source or is it one of those cases where historians feel they are unable to print the truth?

Comment

LOL

I'll play:

Not sure why you're LOL'ing. I was genuinely interested in your take. Christ you can't have any discussion without resorting to this stuff can you?

I asked because you compared it to a corporate environment and I was going to take umbrage with the analogy. Capello himself has dismissed the importancy of the role of Captain because in football the Captain really has no specific role other than picking a side of the coin and shaking hands. While there are motivational aspects and certain kudos to the role it is ultimately a pointless position in many ways.

Capello made a fool of himself in this mess anyway. He immediately stripped Terry of the armband for an alleged sexual indiscretion he has always denied but insisted he keep it when he is under criminal prosecution. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's probably the right decision to step down following the move by the FA but, to be honest, if he wasn't going to do what he's paid to do (make good decisions).

Comment

I presume the next manager will be told his job is conditional upon JT not being appointed Cpt.

Would it not be wise then for the new manager to drop Terry completely from the squad in order to have "full control".

Comment

Can he reference a source or is it one of those cases where historians feel they are unable to print the truth?
                                                                                      No, he can't list a source off hand. But he maintains that it isn't a foreign idea to him, ergo he came across it in a book or a lecture somewhere. Not helpful at all mind, but there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown View Post
                                                                                        I presume the next manager will be told his job is conditional upon JT not being appointed Cpt.

Would it not be wise then for the new manager to drop Terry completely from the squad in order to have "full control".
                                                                                        It'd be wise to drop him because he has the turning speed of an aircraft carrier imo

Comment

Not sure why you're LOL'ing. I was genuinely interested in your take. Christ you can't have any discussion without resorting to this stuff can you?

I asked because you compared it to a corporate environment and I was going to take umbrage with the analogy. Capello himself has dismissed the importancy of the role of Captain because in football the Captain really has no specific role other than picking a side of the coin and shaking hands. While there are motivational aspects and certain kudos to the role it is ultimately a pointless position in many ways.

Capello made a fool of himself in this mess anyway. He immediately stripped Terry of the armband for an alleged sexual indiscretion he has always denied but insisted he keep it when he is under criminal prosecution. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's probably the right decision to step down following the move by the FA but, to be honest, if he wasn't going to do what he's paid to do (make good decisions).
                                                                                          Stop fixating on Terry or what a captain actually does. It's a chain of command and professional respect issue, and the substance of Capello's position would translate well to many organisations.

Also, you asked why a manager should pick a captain and be consulted if they are summarily stripped of the honour. Come on Keith, you can't be serious asking that!

Comment

Closest thing I could find on google. Though I can only imagine it must have been widespread http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/c...ism-in-ireland
                                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

The most galling thing from Sunday's debacle for me was the amount of people I came across who had a reaction along the lines of 'ah well, we didn't deserve to win - it would have been a disgrace if the Welsh had lost'. What the fuck? Who cares about the Welsh or who "should" win matches all of a sudden? You play to win the fucking game. We fucked it up royally on Sunday, one of the least pleasant Irish Rugby experiences I can remember (and there's been a few).

To be perfectly honest, it might be time to start thinking about whether we could develop a third option at outhalf between now and the world cup. I don't think we're ever going to do a whole lot with Sexton as the starter.

lol, there's about a million worse games we've played.

Comment

...
                                                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                                                      lol, there's about a million worse games we've played.
                                                                                                      But few enough where we throw away a winning position in the last three minutes. Far too many where it's long over before the last three minutes I agree.

Comment

I dont get the whole Harry Rednapp lovefest with english media, but they seem fixated on getting a english manger. So he takes the national job part time while managing a team fighting for title?

Comment

Stop fixating on Terry or what a captain actually does. It's a chain of command and professional respect issue, and the substance of Capello's position would translate well to many organisations.

Also, you asked why a manager should pick a captain and be consulted if they are summarily stripped of the honour. Come on Keith, you can't be serious asking that!
                                                                                                          Actually I think the importance placed on the role was initially by you so if I seek to challenge that I will.

As for my questioning why he should be removed I have given my position on that. Capello should have done it himself. By not doing it he lost the dressing room anyway. The FA had to do something about Terry. He was their most visible public representative and he was about to go abroad to an international tournament. He HAD to lose the captaincy and Capello wouldn't do it. If someone who worked for me refused to do his job properly and take the appropriate decisions when they presented themselves and live with the fallout then I would simply go over his head as happened. That's how a chain of command works. Capello failed to do his job so the next level kicked in.

Comment

Originally posted by D3kka View Post
                                                                                                            I dont get the whole Harry Rednapp lovefest with english media, but they seem fixated on getting a english manger. So he takes the national job part time while managing a team fighting for title?
                                                                                                            Paid in used fivers obv.

Comment

Famine history in this country was actually a class when I was studying History. Not the history of the famine mind you, the history of the history. It's actually quite fascinating how the way it is viewed changes depending on the prevailing political climate. Similar thing happened with Padraig Pearse and Collins.

Comment

But few enough where we throw away a winning position in the last three minutes. Far too many where it's long over before the last three minutes I agree.

Losing to the last minute French try was 100 times worse. Also losing to scotland at home 2010. The incompetent Kidney should have been sacked straight after that one, yet we still have to put up with his ineptness two years later.

Comment

United Arab Emerates will offer him a gigantic wage.
                                                                                                                  Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                                    Stumped before by a foreign guy asking 'during the famine, why didn't ye just catch fish?'
                                                                                                                    the answer being, from where?

Most inland streams with fishing belonged to landowners who hung or jailed "poachers".

Comment

Actually I think the importance placed on the role was initially by you so if I seek to challenge that I will.

As for my questioning why he should be removed I have given my position on that. Capello should have done it himself. By not doing it he lost the dressing room anyway. The FA had to do something about Terry. He was their most visible public representative and he was about to go abroad to an international tournament. He HAD to lose the captaincy and Capello wouldn't do it. If someone who worked for me refused to do his job properly and take the appropriate decisions when they presented themselves and live with the fallout then I would simply go over his head as happened. That's how a chain of command works. Capello failed to do his job so the next level kicked in.
                                                                                                                      I'm still not sure why Terry HAD to lose the captaincy though. I can't see how Capello taking a decision that should be in his hands, and making it is deemed a failure to do his job properly.

Comment

Fabio Capello does not give a rats arse about Wether John Terry is captain or not.

He see's this as a great oppertunity to get out of the England job before the summer and into another job that will pay him more.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                                          Fabio Capello does not give a rats arse about Wether John Terry is captain or not.

He see's this as a great oppertunity to get out of the England job before the summer and into another job that will pay him more.

He'll be doing well to find himself a job that will pay him better.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X