Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lloyd are you playing the Deepstack the weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by jackyback View Post
      Lloyd are you playing the Deepstack the weekend?
      Nope.
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Does any regular here subscribe to the mindset of samanthajane above? I think it is always one way on the matter in this thread and I'd be interested in someone I know making the argument for owning their own patch above all else.
        It's very much part of the Irish psyche to want to have your own house. There would have been a lot of pressure on people in recent years to buy as well given that times were good and banks were pretty much force feeding the general public with credit. The banks were selling the idea that there was no reason to NOT own a house

If I were a few years older, I probably would have found myself buying a house during the boom because I see it as part of the life cycle. I don't think I would have sacrificed everything to buy one though like I have seen some people do.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
          Nope.
          No sign of you last night....You missed out!

_____

Any time I hear this now, I'm instantly reminded of that disaster last November:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVe_KVzBFOo&feature=fvst[/ame]

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
              No sign of you last night....You missed out!
              Yeah, sorry about that (and to Flushdraw who I failed to send a text back to!)
              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Lovely 5 mins there on full tilt. Both hands on the same table. villian in hand 2 is mp in hand 1 and is a huge fish. Plays his hand faceup and i still 3bet shove the river!

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($50.25)
                Hero (BB) ($51.25)
                UTG ($50)
                MP ($72.15)
                Button ($38.05)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7, 6
                1 fold, MP calls $0.50, 1 fold, SB calls $0.25, Hero checks

Flop: ($1.50) 4, 10, 5 (3 players)
                SB checks, Hero bets $1, MP raises to $2, SB calls $2, Hero calls $1

Turn: ($7.50) 8 (3 players)
                SB checks, Hero bets $5.50, MP calls $5.50, SB raises to $24.50, Hero raises to $48.75 (All-In), 1 fold, SB calls $23.25 (All-In)

River: ($108.50) 8 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $108.50 | Rake: $3

Results:
                SB had 4, 4 (full house, fours over eights).
                Hero had 7, 6 (straight, eight high).
                Outcome: SB won $105.50

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($50)
                Hero (UTG) ($50.75)
                MP ($50.45)
                Button ($63.65)
                SB ($37.55)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6, 6
                Hero bets $1.50, 1 fold, Button raises to $2.50, 2 folds, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($5.75) 7, A, Q (2 players)
                Hero checks, Button checks

Turn: ($5.75) Q (2 players)
                Hero checks, Button bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

River: ($6.75) 6 (2 players)
                Hero bets $7, Button raises to $27.75, Hero raises to $47.75 (All-In), Button calls $20

Total pot: $102.25 | Rake: $3

Results:
                Button had A, A (full house, Aces over Queens).
                Hero had 6, 6 (full house, sixes over Queens).
                Outcome: Button won $99.25

Comment

That 2nd hand is fucking awful
                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                    That 2nd hand is fucking awful
                    it is terrible

Comment

how come every time you bully the small stack he miracously has a hand

and when you are the smallstack and try to steal a few blinds you allways run into a monster

or you are in mp and pick up JJ with about 12 bbs you jamm the pot only to have the rest of the fucking table call you with QQ+ and a few AK thrown in for good luck

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by eight-ball View Post
                        how come every time you bully the small stack he miracously has a hand

and when you are the smallstack and try to steal a few blinds you allways run into a monster

or you are in mp and pick up JJ with about 12 bbs you jamm the pot only to have the rest of the fucking table call you with QQ+ and a few AK thrown in for good luck
                        open fold jj obv

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                          the bastard how could he do such horrible things

still it would be worse if he had sex with an ex girlfriend

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post
                            Well I went and got the Chicken Kebab thingy, it was a fine Kebab, absolutely no doubt, but I don't think it's as good as The Harcourt Diner.
                            Did you get the Kebab with the spining meat or the Chicken Shish Kebab? I'd recommend the barg for the next visit.
                            Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

I know I've posted this type of thing loads of times previous, but it really blows my mind when people openly lay out the crippling social / life experience sacrifices they are willing to make just to own a house, any house. When I was 18 the last things on my mind were owning a house / financial security / etc.
                              I'm the same, i never want to own a house until i am pretty secure and have a lot of savings. I've never had debt, and I really don't plan to until I must get a morage.
                              I remember when I was 18 or so, my aunt and uncle were talking to my parents about the bank giving out 100% mortgages, how it was great, and they might even get 110%.
                              I was shocked that as, pretty much, a kid, I had to explain, and try to convince them that 100% mortgages are a terrible idea.

Met with; When you're older you'll understand.

Comment

ffs 4 orbits and getting only shite nearly blinded out pick up AQs in the bb and the whole fucking table folds around to me

don't think i will make the final table

Comment

Ipad lol, this is the future http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mist...echnology.html

Comment

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
                                    down to the last 50 can't get a hand for the life of mehang on 66 i jammed it. now KQs ohh no two allins allready ithink i fold now

Comment

aaaaaaaaaaGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                      utg standard raise
                                      me in mp AK i shipp the lot
                                      utg turns QQ and promptly flops a fullhouse

5hrs fo a measly $74

Comment

Does any regular here subscribe to the mindset of samanthajane above? I think it is always one way on the matter in this thread and I'd be interested in someone I know making the argument for owning their own patch above all else.
                                        My plan was always to be in position to buy 5 or so houses when the bubble burst (5 for the price of 1,like a magic supermarket offer) , if these houses belonged to people who had laughed at me for being a murderer of money (rent was dead money after all) then that was all the better

Alas I made a mess of that plan when I decided working in offices owned by others was not for me

ho hum

New plan, London around March time, cheap gaff in South of Italy/Spain/etc around 50'ish (very ish)

Comment

Originally posted by eight-ball View Post
                                          aaaaaaaaaaGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                          utg standard raise
                                          me in mp AK i shipp the lot
                                          utg turns QQ and promptly flops a fullhouse

5hrs fo a measly $74
                                          I know you're new and all (or are you),
                                          but despite the title, no-body here really cares about bad-beats, but even less so when you lose a coin-flip

Comment

any recommendations on a good film to watch?

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
                                              If you haven't already seen District 9, get in.
                                              We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
                                                Classic classroom name calling scene...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbIz96CwH6U[/ame]

If it's not on the cousins list, it's in 12 parts on youtube

Comment

Acclaimed director of Football Factory and Green Street Nick Love talks about the reviews of his latest film with actor Danny Dyer

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5h9ZPBuBEs&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
                                                  Last edited by RasTa; 05-02-10, 01:55.
                                                  Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
                                                    If you haven't already seen District 9, get in.
                                                    seen it, loved it.

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                    Classic classroom name calling scene...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

If it's not on the cousins list, it's in 12 parts on youtube
                                                    cheers, looks good.

Comment

zaytoon ftw

Comment

Originally posted by p_larkin99 View Post
                                                        zaytoon ftw
                                                        iskanders > zaytoons

Comment

Brag: Just won a $5k guaranteed freezeout on boylers for $1350

Running deep in two others as well!
                                                          Last edited by hopalong85; 05-02-10, 02:24.

Comment

how many times can i lose in one tourney with pocket 10s ,4 fking times.
                                                            im not playing 10s or js on ipoker again
                                                            on the plus side sitting 10th with 20 left in $2000 Freezeout

edit currently 19th out of 19,AK versus pocket 2s,of course pocket 2s won
                                                            edit gone in 19th KQ versus the fella with the pocket 2s,what did he have this time pocket 2s again.
                                                            $15 dollar freezeout won $ 29 dollars,thats it i am splashing out with my winnings,i am heading out to buy a packet of smokes,yipee
                                                            Last edited by peteypop; 05-02-10, 03:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post
                                                              And thanks lads, I'm starting to get a clearer understanding of it now... at least my thinking has changed from what it was, i.e. all over the place and wrong, I've logged the latest descriptions and I'd say once I go to back and think through it again I will "get it". Appreciate the time.
                                                              I recommend buying Learning to Use Statistical Tests in Psychology as a great and simple book which is as clear as can be and has a handy decision chart for choosing statistical tests. You can pick up a copy of an earlier edition of it for a penny on amazon.

It's funny but you never even hear the term null hypothesis after the first term of studying behavioural statistics. But in keeping with the Popperian notion of science you are always "officially" trying to falsify your hypotheses with experiments.

This is due to the rather simple epistemological fact that no amount of confirmation of a theory or model can ever establish it as being factually veracious, but disconfirmation of it may falsify it. The criterion of falsifiability was at the heart of what was held to separate science from pseudoscience for much of the 20th century.

So you are probably still being taught to generate experimentally falsifiable theories. So your null hypothesis is always that you're FOS with your tin foil hat theory of whatever.

Then when you carry out the experiment and you go:

"See, see, HAH, more people in the study who had beards WERE very heavy drinkers!".

And the world goes: "ORLY? what were the numbers?"

"I tested 568 people, half with beards, and 28 nonbearders were alchos but 30 with beards were. I rest my case your honour."

"Hmm, how often would you would have gotten that kind of result if there was no real difference but just randomness?"

"Uh, let me see...carry the one...um, about 30% of the time."

"Your retarded, moran. That doesn't count at all. Your difference in numbers has to only occur at most once every 20 times due to randomness for any of us to consider it statistically significant, and really only once every 100 times if we're being serious."

"FML"

"By the way"

"Yes?"

"That was an impressive number of bearded people to find"

"Thanks"

"Where did you get them"

"Mostly bums, homeless shelters, AA meetings that kind of thing."

"And the nonbearders?"

"Oh my mam is very active in the local church active retired women's knitting and temperance society and she got them all to do it."

"And how did you assess problem drinking?"

"I gave them a questionnaire - name, age, are you mad for the dhrink?"

You're lucky that as a poker player you have a grasp of variance and randomness. The issue of statistical confidence limits is one area of social science in which you can observe the concept of the retardedness of results based thinking.

Also given that you understand ranges in poker you will be able to appreciate confidence intervals which are all the rage among the science kids these days. So rather than doing an experiment and saying that 80% of Cork boards posters are mentally unstable with a particular % of confidence in the results, you might say instead that we can say with 95% confidence that between 70% and 90% of Cork posters are nuts. Ranges FTW!

And I *still* have to wait another 20mins before getting to bed so I can nuke my guy on Cybernations. Hmm, I think a post saving pic of blue dress girl is needed...

Safe for work.

SPOILER

edit: I wonder how many of the original blue dresses of blue dress girl you could make out of that ^ one?
                                                              Last edited by hotspur; 05-02-10, 03:22.

Comment

Originally posted by p_larkin99 View Post
                                                                zaytoon ftw
                                                                Just been

Serious Fat coppers birds inside

Chicken Kebab FTW

Comment

Almost everyday I find myself saying;

"What the fuck China?"

Yesterday was the 9 that had a baby, but today goes one better;

Comment

Originally posted by GrangeUtd View Post
                                                                    iskanders > zaytoons

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                      Did you get the Kebab with the spining meat or the Chicken Shish Kebab? I'd recommend the barg for the next visit.
                                                                      I did indeed, I was lead to believe it was their best...
                                                                      Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                      I recommend buying Learning to Use Statistical Tests in Psychology as a great and simple book which is as clear as can be and has a handy decision chart for choosing statistical tests. You can pick up a copy of an earlier edition of it for a penny on amazon.
                                                                      I'll have a look at that...

You're lucky that as a poker player you have a grasp of variance and randomness. The issue of statistical confidence limits is one area of social science in which you can observe the concept of the retardedness of results based thinking.

Also given that you understand ranges in poker you will be able to appreciate confidence intervals which are all the rage among the science kids these days. So rather than doing an experiment and saying that 80% of Cork boards posters are mentally unstable with a particular % of confidence in the results, you might say instead that we can say with 95% confidence that between 70% and 90% of Cork posters are nuts. Ranges FTW!
                                                                      This could have been my problem, cos literally most of the time the kind of samples and the ways they're talking about collecting data seems completely retarded to me and most of the time there's no way to properly account for Variance in most of the examples we're being given but I certainly was more enamoured with the Confidence Intervals idea. They really are mental to hammer home the point that psychology is a science now!!!
                                                                      And I *still* have to wait another 20mins before getting to bed so I can nuke my guy on Cybernations. Hmm, I think a post saving pic of blue dress girl is needed...
                                                                      I've done my damage already for today

Comment

Flu like symptoms and a headache been ten hours in bed and maybe two of them asleep.
                                                                        Big meeting in a couple of hours If I win I'm more or less on holidays till Monday night. I think my brain has stopped working, I just want to stay in bed.

The Scotland Cricket team are staying in my hotel and have been annoying me all week, every time you turn there is one of them strolling laconically around in their shorts and flip flops and they are in complete control of the pool. And they are mostly Aussie rejects and hardly a Scot among them.
                                                                        They got trashed by 10 wickets by the Kenyans in the 20 20 match they played yesterday.
                                                                        I think I'll cheer myself up by heading down to breakfast and ask everyone of them I get within speaking distance of "So, Howdya get on yesterday ?"
                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Kinda strange i just got a pop up on facebook chat from a friend that hasnt used it in ages with some mad link, reminds me of the ones that are sent through msn were your friends appear offline with some bogey link.

Anybody else get one of those before? Cant see how facebook chat would be hacked.
                                                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Just been reliably informed that the latest Fringe is excellent, just gonna watch it now.
                                                                            'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                              Cant see how facebook chat would be hacked.
                                                                              Why not? All they need is someone's password.

Beat: Coworker quit and now I have to do their job.
                                                                              Beat: Their job is to manage the 1st line support.
                                                                              Beat: I was doing this job 7 years ago.
                                                                              Beat: Insomnia.

Time to polish up the CV, I think.
                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

NBC are racists lol

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFB View Post
                                                                                  Why not? All they need is someone's password.

Beat: Coworker quit and now I have to do their job.
                                                                                  Beat: Their job is to manage the 1st line support.
                                                                                  Beat: I was doing this job 7 years ago.
                                                                                  Beat: Insomnia.

Time to polish up the CV, I think.
                                                                                  Yeah i suppose thinking about it now when they send around those bogey email messages same principal.

Comment

I have a stats degree and never really got a grasp of that whole p value milarky. Was a common joke going round are class actually, someone asked in final year and was basically thrown out of the lab.

Comment

!!!viruses and the likes

Been up night running/downloading etc malware checkers, new virus software

check your services for

VJVodClientServices

if you have it do a websearch on it but supposed to be bad
                                                                                      all i found about it was disable it

Im saying check for it as VJVodClientServices may have come from a football stream? (we all like them not sopcast as far as i know, ppstream type stuff i think)

runs itself as a version of svchost.exe "svchost.exe -k vvdsvc"
                                                                                      so you will not know you have it unless you check in services

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware found the worst of it after that

it found a dodgy setup.exe
                                                                                      it found a dodgy folder in system32

then found
                                                                                      TrojanDownloader:Win32/Bredolab in a few places
                                                                                      prog that spits out loads of crap bots on your pc

and i think i removed Win32.Zbot earlier (bank password ripper )

reason im saying check is
                                                                                      TrojanDownloader:Win32/Bredolab was supposed to be very active on the spam front over last month/xmas

Bredolab may have come from VJVodClientServices if what i read was right?
                                                                                      or
                                                                                      could have been spam, defo getting more spam since the boards breakin, dont open it though (must have looked at a couple without thinking)
                                                                                      or
                                                                                      could just be general crap on my pc but check it out

all recent on my machine (since 25th jan ish)

supposed i better start changing passwords

bed!

*and no its not from porn!

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                                        Just been reliably informed that the latest Fringe is excellent, just gonna watch it now.
                                                                                        If Walter wasn't in this show I would have stopped watching a long time ago.

Opr

Comment

"into the fray once more my friend" starin a new job today will be back later with a trip report!

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                                                                                            Emmet, if you don't want to get 200bb in pre with KK, then don't 4bet. Easy game.
                                                                                            Originally posted by emmet02 View Post
                                                                                            I'm just a nit with a big stack, rush poker has me playing stacks a lot bigger than I'm used to.

I'm not used to playing so deep.
                                                                                            I think this is a standard fold tbh, Rush is a totally different animal to regular full ring, a 5-bet shove is always AA in my limited experience (10k hands)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                              Kinda strange i just got a pop up on facebook chat from a friend that hasnt used it in ages with some mad link, reminds me of the ones that are sent through msn were your friends appear offline with some bogey link.

Anybody else get one of those before? Cant see how facebook chat would be hacked.
                                                                                              I have had a few of these spam links coming through facebook chat. It is usually from someone who would never message me. They are just the same as the msn ones that come about every now and then.

Comment

another bad beat,fks sake

PokerStars Game #39256547639: Tournament #283010075, $3.00+$0.30 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level X (300/600) - 2010/02/05 8:29:59 WET [2010/02/05 3:29:59 ET]
                                                                                                Table '283010075 19' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
                                                                                                Seat 1: flopflop666 (10470 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 2: dibartolo111 (58187 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 3: peteypop999 (25448 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 4: no1 fullback (14538 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 5: jam8182 (26434 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 6: Soprano121 (38384 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 7: colin212 (10723 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 8: freeborn2009 (9800 in chips)
                                                                                                flopflop666: posts the ante 50
                                                                                                dibartolo111: posts the ante 50
                                                                                                peteypop999: posts the ante 50
                                                                                                no1 fullback: posts the ante 50
                                                                                                jam8182: posts the ante 50
                                                                                                Soprano121: posts the ante 50
                                                                                                colin212: posts the ante 50
                                                                                                freeborn2009: posts the ante 50
                                                                                                dibartolo111: posts small blind 300
                                                                                                peteypop999: posts big blind 600
                                                                                                *** HOLE CARDS ***
                                                                                                Dealt to peteypop999 [Kc Kd]
                                                                                                no1 fullback: folds
                                                                                                jam8182: folds
                                                                                                Soprano121: raises 600 to 1200
                                                                                                colin212: folds
                                                                                                freeborn2009: folds
                                                                                                flopflop666: folds
                                                                                                jam8182 said, "i had the other king"
                                                                                                dibartolo111: folds
                                                                                                peteypop999: raises 1200 to 2400
                                                                                                Soprano121: calls 1200
                                                                                                *** FLOP *** [Jd 7d 4c]
                                                                                                peteypop999: bets 6000
                                                                                                Soprano121: calls 6000
                                                                                                *** TURN *** [Jd 7d 4c] [Jh]
                                                                                                Shanbon80 is connected
                                                                                                peteypop999: bets 16998 and is all-in
                                                                                                Soprano121: calls 16998
                                                                                                *** RIVER *** [Jd 7d 4c Jh] [As]
                                                                                                *** SHOW DOWN ***
                                                                                                peteypop999: shows [Kc Kd] (two pair, Kings and Jacks)
                                                                                                Soprano121: shows [Ad 3d] (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
                                                                                                Soprano121 collected 51496 from pot
                                                                                                *** SUMMARY ***
                                                                                                Total pot 51496 | Rake 0
                                                                                                Board [Jd 7d 4c Jh As]
                                                                                                Seat 1: flopflop666 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
                                                                                                Seat 2: dibartolo111 (small blind) folded before Flop
                                                                                                Seat 3: peteypop999 (big blind) showed [Kc Kd] and lost with two pair, Kings and Jacks
                                                                                                Seat 4: no1 fullback folded before Flop (didn't bet)
                                                                                                Seat 5: jam8182 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
                                                                                                Seat 6: Soprano121 showed [Ad 3d] and won (51496) with two pair, Aces and Jacks
                                                                                                Seat 7: colin212 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
                                                                                                Seat 8: freeborn2009 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

horray i got $3.86 FOR THAT

Comment

Up at 7 to get ready to go to Cavan.

FML

Opr

Comment

This is why the country is in the jock it is:
                                                                                                    in a nutshell ('in the jock' , that's a new one on me)

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                      I'm the same, i never want to own a house until i am pretty secure and have a lot of savings. I've never had debt, and I really don't plan to until I must get a morage.
                                                                                                      I remember when I was 18 or so, my aunt and uncle were talking to my parents about the bank giving out 100% mortgages, how it was great, and they might even get 110%.
                                                                                                      I was shocked that as, pretty much, a kid, I had to explain, and try to convince them that 100% mortgages are a terrible idea.
                                                                                                      Speaking as a banker (you can all spit now), 100%+ mortgages and terms of greater than 25 years are absolute financial poison - you are basically indenturing yourself to the bank for the course of your working life. You become a slave. In most cases, this was for 'starter' homes; small-ish houses and apartments that people intended to move out of after a few years (after all, 'property only ever goes up' right? So they'd be able to sell onto the next generation and get themselves that 4-bed semi-d with a nice garden). Now the're stuck there.

What's even worse in the Irish context is that everyone took on these massive debt burdens;
                                                                                                      1. at a time of historically low interest rates - so they will be crushed when rates move back up to normal levels. How many mortgage holders here would be crushed by rates of, say, 8%?
                                                                                                      2. during a massive property bubble, therefore ensuring NE for generations. Look at Japan if you want an example of how this can paralyse an economy and society.
                                                                                                      3. at a time when most people had an artifically inflated sense of their earning power, both current and future. Thus, people who were coining it during the Bubble (I refuse to use the word boom - it was a bubble) Years racked up all this debt that they now simply don't have the earning capacity to repay.
                                                                                                      4. at a time when the banks were behaving in a criminally reckless fashion by handing out huge mortgages to people who, quite frankly, never had any chance of repaying the loans. The core concept of prudential lending was fucked out the window in favour of short-term bonus chasing. It didn't help that the Central Bankers and regulators were too busy taking their mots on holiday at taxpayers expense to keep an eye on the banks.
                                                                                                      5. at a time when there was massive pressure placed on young people to 'get on the housing ladder before it's too late'. This was a tremendously effective form of psychological bullying that we Irish, with our lack of ability for critical analysis and our propensity for herd-following, were very susceptible to. Well done to any on here who could have bought and succesfully resisted.

I'm not even going to make my usual argument about the treasonous behaviour of successive Fianna Fail governments in actively stoking the flames of the bubble. That argument is won and self-evident!

Comment

by the way, if the quality of the Fronks (trademark; Doke) that were in the Fitz last night is anything to go by, there's going to be some sick bad beat stories coming out of the Deepstack this w/e

Comment

Well that was a bit of a close run thing but tickets finally arrived for the match tomorrow.

Unbelievable that my gf has some sort of relation high up in KK rugby club who can get tickets for home games without any problem and she waited 2 and a half years to tell me! Its not like I keep my fondness for sport a secret

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                            Speaking as a banker (you can all spit now), 100%+ mortgages and terms of greater than 25 years are absolute financial poison - you are basically indenturing yourself to the bank for the course of your working life. You become a slave. In most cases, this was for 'starter' homes; small-ish houses and apartments that people intended to move out of after a few years (after all, 'property only ever goes up' right? So they'd be able to sell onto the next generation and get themselves that 4-bed semi-d with a nice garden). Now the're stuck there.

What's even worse in the Irish context is that everyone took on these massive debt burdens;
                                                                                                            1. at a time of historically low interest rates - so they will be crushed when rates move back up to normal levels. How many mortgage holders here would be crushed by rates of, say, 8%?
                                                                                                            2. during a massive property bubble, therefore ensuring NE for generations. Look at Japan if you want an example of how this can paralyse an economy and society.
                                                                                                            3. at a time when most people had an artifically inflated sense of their earning power, both current and future. Thus, people who were coining it during the Bubble (I refuse to use the word boom - it was a bubble) Years racked up all this debt that they now simply don't have the earning capacity to repay.
                                                                                                            4. at a time when the banks were behaving in a criminally reckless fashion by handing out huge mortgages to people who, quite frankly, never had any chance of repaying the loans. The core concept of prudential lending was fucked out the window in favour of short-term bonus chasing. It didn't help that the Central Bankers and regulators were too busy taking their mots on holiday at taxpayers expense to keep an eye on the banks.
                                                                                                            5. at a time when there was massive pressure placed on young people to 'get on the housing ladder before it's too late'. This was a tremendously effective form of psychological bullying that we Irish, with our lack of ability for critical analysis and our propensity for herd-following, were very susceptible to. Well done to any on here who could have bought and succesfully resisted.

I'm not even going to make my usual argument about the treasonous behaviour of successive Fianna Fail governments in actively stoking the flames of the bubble. That argument is won and self-evident!
                                                                                                            I is one of these slaves, thankfully the mortgage isnt too high (190K) but its rendered me immobile which along with my current work situation is a balls. But fukk it, its Friday.

Comment

This has me giggling like a schoolgirl.
                                                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                                Well that was a bit of a close run thing but tickets finally arrived for the match tomorrow.

Unbelievable that my gf has some sort of relation high up in KK rugby club who can get tickets for home games without any problem and she waited 2 and a half years to tell me! Its not like I keep my fondness for sport a secret
                                                                                                                on first reading she's a keeper but the 2.5 year wait to collect seems a bit extreme. Hmm not sure.

probably ask her if she's into threesomes to be on the safe side

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                                  I is one of these slaves.
                                                                                                                  me too!

in my defence, the mortgage is 25 year term and was about 70% LTV when we took it out, since got it down quite a bit by advanced principal repayments and would plan to have the damn thing gone within 15 years of taking it out (2004).

the really sad thing for the guys who were prudent and swerved the hype is that they're going to be handed the bill for the debt monkeys anyway! So while they should be rubbing their hands together Mr Burns style and bidding on nice gaffs for a quarter of the bubble price, they're getting screwed with higher taxes to fund NAMA, bank recaps and the inevitable NAMA II (bailout of the debt monkeys)

moral hazard me arse

Comment

by the way, if the quality of the Fronks (trademark; Doke) that were in the Fitz last night is anything to go by, there's going to be some sick bad beat stories coming out of the Deepstack this w/e
                                                                                                                    LOL so true can only be good for the Irish playing! mauvais ftw de battement
                                                                                                                    ''Oh my god, I'm dropping shit like a pigeon
                                                                                                                    I hope you're listening, smacking babies at their christening''

Comment

I shall be reducing my c betting frequency as the feckers never ever fold.

Comment

Originally posted by jackyback View Post
                                                                                                                        I shall be reducing my c betting frequency as the feckers never ever fold.
                                                                                                                        good idea; they seem to happily call down with A high or 55 on a KQJ9x board

Comment

Lol donkaments

Going bk at 2 for Final table of the 1st event (team event) down here in the gleneagle. I had to forget everything ive ever learned about poker/metagame and go bk to basics to dodge that field last night, absolute crazyness. No hope of winning team event so just the 1k for first in individual part. Reckon im 2nd in chips with 12bbs. Heard ppl on the rail callin me a donkey/lucky so obv i have a good image lol. Well over 20% reg fee with no meal ticket r even a drink someones on to a winner. *

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X