This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    It's a fairly clear example of the law of diminishing returns imo. The sound/picture may be better, but nowhere enough that I would spend 10x the price of something that does a similar job.
    Music is the greatest, most evocative artform that exists.

The opportunity to listen to it in all its glory, as it was intended, everyday as you sit through the drudgery of a job or whatever else you spend your time doing is a privilege worth anything. €200 worth of headphones is a snip.

Sucks for anybody who can't afford to chip up on something they might consider a non-necessity, but lol at anybody looks looks at their shitty €20 buds and says "meh, good enough", then thinks their getting the most out of their Explosions in the Sky experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
      Music is the greatest, most evocative artform that exists.
      no
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

It's a fairly clear example of the law of diminishing returns imo. The sound/picture may be better, but nowhere enough that I would spend 10x the price of something that does a similar job.
        +1
        Don't even get me started on gold plated HDMI/AV cables
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

It is very similiar with so many different things / gadgets etc, isn't it? Whenever I buy a new desktop (maybe every 3 years or so), I realize early on in my decision-making process that €X will get me a very capable, very fast gaming-standard machine that will more than do the job for the next 3 years. I always, ALWAYS proceed to spend approximately 150% of €X to get a machine with higher specs than what I require, and after spending an extra 50%, my new machine is probably only 10% faster in reality - though I try to convince myself the extra spend was worth it! It is really a waste and a 'life leak' on my part. I'm sure that spending 300% of €X on a fantastic set of headphones doesn't get you 3-times the quality that you'd get if you just spent €X, but that's the way of it unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Donkathon View Post
            That bowling at 5:07 is messing and shouldnt be encouraged. Bad for the lanes slamming balls from a height like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

The opportunity to listen to it in all its glory, as it was intended, everyday as you sit through the drudgery of a job

Mhmm... all from the excellent source that is an iPod
              May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                this as well.
                The best headphones in the world arent going to increase the bitrate
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                  What's your budget? Remember it's pointless having a €300 quid pair of headphones playing through an ipod.
                  Yes yes
                  Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                    this as well.
                    Plus encoding software used
                    Besides the bit rate of an encoded piece of audio, the quality of MP3 files also depends on the quality of the encoder itself, and the difficulty of the signal being encoded. As the MP3 standard allows quite a bit of freedom with encoding algorithms, different encoders may feature quite different quality, even with identical bit rates. As an example, in a public listening test featuring two different MP3 encoders at about 128 kbit/s, one scored 3.66 on a 1–5 scale, while the other scored only 2.22.
                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

this as well.
                      Even ignoring the bitrate issues I have found various iPods to be poorer than alternatives from the likes of creative or even my laptop.
                      May you live in interesting times!

Comment

The Pipe (More4 10pm tonite)
                        Documentary following three residents of the tiny Irish village of Rossport.
                        Should be good for laughs for Strewlpeter by the sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post

ldo

Comment

What amp is that?

Comment

Finally got around to watching the latest episode of Game of Thrones, am I the only one who thought it was meh? Just haven't really gotten into it at all.

SPOILER
                              The scene in the latest episode when they are playing that drinking game go fuck off
                              "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Though it's impossible to measure, I'd wager that people these days don't enjoy music one bit more than people did 30 years ago when listening to a crackly vinyl.

Comment

What amp is that?
                                  A more expensive one than I can afford

It's a TTVJ Slim Portable Amplifier, costs a couple of hundred I'd say.

Best bet is a hacked iPod classic (or any number of iPod alternatives that produce better sound), a cheaper amp and FLACs.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                    Finally got around to watching the latest episode of Game of Thrones, am I the only one who thought it was meh? Just haven't really gotten into it at all.

SPOILER
                                    The scene in the latest episode when they are playing that drinking game go fuck off
                                    Personally loved that scene
                                    SPOILER
                                    Tyrion is probably my favourite character. Bronn is pretty fucking cool too.
                                    Where did you get her? "the ginger cunt, three tents down."
                                    The knife game doesn't involve the potential for losing fingers. As long as you win.....brilliant

Comment

Personally loved that scene
                                      SPOILER
                                      Tyrion is probably my favourite character. Bronn is pretty fucking cool too.
                                      Where did you get her? "the ginger cunt, three tents down."
                                      The knife game doesn't involve the potential for losing fingers. As long as you win.....brilliant
                                      SPOILER
                                      I think Tyrion is a fantastic character it was just specifically the scene whent they are asking questions and drinking just that part really fucking pissed me off.

Comment

SPOILER
                                        I'm with you, its entertaining enough but its no Treme, Breaking bad or even Justified. A lot of the acting is just bad, the writing is poor enough and there is nothing that isn't flagged from a mile out. That everyone was going Oh Wow at what happened last night is an indication of nothing more than how predictable everything else is in it.

Also it was mostly filmed in Ireland and they do nothing to dress it up at all it really does look like they just picked the first field with the fewest ESB poles that they would have to rub out. And WTF with the lad who went Mental with the Ctrl-C Ctrl-V on the camp with all the red tents. Why would they be concerned about 18K people coming after them, there were at least 20K tents in that shot

Why wouldn't they just make a series on real history, much better material to work with.
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

SPOILER
                                          I think Tyrion is a fantastic character it was just specifically the scene whent they are asking questions and drinking just that part really fucking pissed me off.
                                          SPOILER

it expanded him a little more from the onedimesional drinking/fucking party animal. I predict a lot to come based on his past history with his father

Comment

I'm going to have to read the books after season 1 finishes. I won't be able to wait.

Comment

No point in spending $$$ on audio equipment if you're not listening to good production

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                I'm with you, its entertaining enough but its no Treme, Breaking bad or even Justified. A lot of the acting is just bad, the writing is poor enough and there is nothing that isn't flagged from a mile out. That everyone was going Oh Wow at what happened last night is an indication of nothing more than how predictable everything else is in it.

Also it was mostly filmed in Ireland and they do nothing to dress it up at all it really does look like they just picked the first field with the fewest ESB poles that they would have to rub out. And WTF with the lad who went Mental with the Ctrl-C Ctrl-V on the camp with all the red tents. Why would they be concerned about 18K people coming after them, there were at least 20K tents in that shot

Why wouldn't they just make a series on real history, much better material to work with.
                                                I would certainly agree with a lot of that, watching some of the sword fights thinking "jesus these are some pretty slow fucking fights"

Comment

Only half way through the third episode but
                                                  SPOILER
                                                  the story of the dwarf and the dagger used is really dumb.

Comment

Aussie Masterchef getting rid of the best chef cos she couldnt cook asian duck with noodles has ruined my day

Comment

Ireland U20s (+18) vs South Africa not a bad bet.

+20 on betfred...

Last edited by Emmet; 14-06-11, 16:51.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                        Aussie Masterchef getting rid of the best chef cos she couldnt cook asian duck with noodles has ruined my day
                                                        haha, I hate the format they use.

Comment

I completely agree that the special effects and action sequences in GoT have left a lot to be desired. Some of the acting has been weak too. Lena Headey playing Queen Cersei is particularly monotone in her delivery. Aiden Gillen as Littlefinger is the same, but I think that was a deliberate choice to make him seem creepy. I don't think it worked, but I guess the other option is for him to be camp, so fuck that.

That said, I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing the series brought to life. You have to admit that a fuckload of TV tropes have been smashed to pieces by this show. Martin delights in throwing your expectations out the window, and judging by most of the reactions around the internet this week, plenty of people were caught completely unawares.

Finally, some of the criticisms listed above are in fact major plot points, but I can't say much more for obvious reasons. If you've noticed that something doesn't make any sense, then it's probably going to be important later on. Then you can have the satisfaction of being the smug bastard who figured it out before the reveal. The whole story is extremely well thought-out and I've seen plenty in the show to indicate they are including the subtleties that make the reveals and repeat viewings so enjoyable.
                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Classy

Comment

jayus they are fuckin gross, who or what would wear them?
                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Oh I forgot
                                                                saw these guys at the Taste of Dublin Sunday
                                                                Smash Hits. 30,158 likes · 6 talking about this. Like So Totally The Ultimate 90s Band

They were fucking brilliant. Meself and the missus were wrecked from the previous nights excusions but they got us up and bopping

Comment

It's Hell to be Old !
                                                                  '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''

OLD people have problems that you haven't even considered yet!

An 85-year-old man was requested by his Doctor for a sperm count as part of his physical exam.

The doctor gave the man a jar and said, 'Take this jar home and bring back a semen sample tomorrow.'

The next day the 85-year-old man re-appeared at the doctor's office and gave him the jar,
                                                                  which was as clean and empty as on the previous day.

The doctor asked what happened and the man explained, 'Well, doc, it's like this--first I tried
                                                                  with my right hand, but nothing. Then I tried with my left hand, but still nothing..

'Then I asked my wife for help. She tried with her right hand, then with her left, still nothing.
                                                                  She tried with her mouth, first with the teeth in, then with her teeth out, still nothing.

'She even called up Arleen, the lady next door and she tried too, first with both hands, then an
                                                                  armpit, and she even tried squeezin' it between her knees, but still nothing.'

The doctor was shocked! 'You asked your neighbor?'

The old man replied, 'Yep, none of us could get the jar open.'

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                    Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                    I completely agree that the special effects and action sequences in GoT have left a lot to be desired. Some of the acting has been weak too. Lena Headey playing Queen Cersei is particularly monotone in her delivery. Aiden Gillen as Littlefinger is the same, but I think that was a deliberate choice to make him seem creepy. I don't think it worked, but I guess the other option is for him to be camp, so fuck that.

That said, I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing the series brought to life. You have to admit that a fuckload of TV tropes have been smashed to pieces by this show. Martin delights in throwing your expectations out the window, and judging by most of the reactions around the internet this week, plenty of people were caught completely unawares.

Finally, some of the criticisms listed above are in fact major plot points, but I can't say much more for obvious reasons. If you've noticed that something doesn't make any sense, then it's probably going to be important later on. Then you can have the satisfaction of being the smug bastard who figured it out before the reveal. The whole story is extremely well thought-out and I've seen plenty in the show to indicate they are including the subtleties that make the reveals and repeat viewings so enjoyable.
                                                                    im loving it Andy, great show, theyve developed sum real good characters and so many different avenues they can go down from here... thinking of buying the book, just wondering will it jump ahead chronologically at points and spoil watching show at all?

Does the 1st series just deal with the 1st book?

Comment

Game of Thrones S1 is better then The Wire S1...

Comment

Originally posted by Midnitekowby View Post
                                                                        im loving it Andy, great show, theyve developed sum real good characters and so many different avenues they can go down from here... thinking of buying the book, just wondering will it jump ahead chronologically at points and spoil watching show at all?

Does the 1st series just deal with the 1st book?
                                                                        Yes the first series appears to be the first book completely. Obviously I haven't seen Ep 10 but there's only so much plot left and only an hour left in the series. If you just bought Book 1 and read it you'd get a lot out of it but wouldn't have anything spoiled for Series 2. They've done a fairly decent job of fitting it all in. They've basically only left out one minor, relatively inconsequential character.

The hard part of your plan would be resisting buying Book 2 before Series 2 is released.
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan-Black View Post
                                                                          This is whats wrong with the banking system right here. I remeber when you guys would mentally tourture coworkers just to prove dominance. All this sharing and kindness. Call yourself a capitalist you are nothing but a lowsy commie hippy now.
                                                                          This is an interesting point. I have had cause over the past few weeks to contemplate the sociology of gender for the first time in a while. One thing which struck me as I have been listening to an audio book of The Grapes of Wrath was the emasculation that the men suffered in the Great Depression when they lost their farms and went West en masse scrounging for work, being pushed around by employers and police.

I have been thinking about how changing economic circumstances affects hegemonic masculinity (the dominant socially constructed view of what masculinity is at a particular time).

The alpha male aggressive view of masculinity in relation to economic issues conjures up images for me of ruthless Gordon Gekko in his red braces, fast living testosterone fuelled "City" workers in London during the 80s boom, and master of the universe types gambling billions on sub prime mortgage junk bonds in the 90s/2000s.

Now we have all come to view (for the moment) the excesses of that last situation as being undesirable. And what we view as undesirable is very masculine. How many people ever picture a female when they think or talk about these people who bankrupted us all?

Implicit in our invective against them with terms such as power and greed is some concept of a powerful force which was not restrained and properly regulated, and it is a masculine power.

The current backlash seems to me to entail something of a feminising of masculinity and what is desirable as traits to prevent future excesses and errors in the economic realm. We can expect quite a lot of gheyness over the next few of years culturally imo.

So Gilligan-Black may be right about Raoul and his financial industry buddies.

This all dovetails potentially interestingly with Hitchhikers recent research findings relating to the greater risk-aversion of firms with women on their boards of directors.

I'll have to look if I can find any work examining the historical relationship between economic prosperity and cultural shifts in concepts of masculinity, but the latter is hard to measure and occurs over longer time periods than recessions (maybe not this one though).

I just wish that 99% of all sociology texts weren't so utterly meh.

Cliffs: Confirmed - Raoul has caught the ghey.

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                            ''Oh my god, I'm dropping shit like a pigeon
                                                                            I hope you're listening, smacking babies at their christening''

Comment

I see I've slipped to second in the Thank You Awards, time to post a bunch of tits.

SPOILER
                                                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
                                                                                I see I've slipped to second in the Thank You Awards, time to post a bunch of tits.

SPOILER
                                                                                Here we fukkin go again

Comment

I wonder would there be interest in a IPB paintball outing?

Comment

heresy imo

Comment

Oh I forgot
                                                                                      saw these guys at the Taste of Dublin Sunday
                                                                                      Smash Hits. 30,158 likes · 6 talking about this. Like So Totally The Ultimate 90s Band

They were fucking brilliant. Meself and the missus were wrecked from the previous nights excusions but they got us up and bopping
                                                                                      ya DP saw them before in the sugar club on Leeson St, they are excellent,they really put on a great show.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                        Hey BBV,

I have decided to take the plunge and move out of home at the end of the summer up closer to the big smoke. Im looking to rent a 2 bed apartment around Blackrock/Donnybrook/Ballsbridge. I was just wondering what the craic is with prices on Daft, are they negotiable?

Would I possibly get a place up as 1200 for 1100 or what? budget is up to about 1200 mark i suppose.
                                                                                        Yeah that's about right, but bear in mind if something is cheap seeming it'll probably go fast for that. End of summer is a bad time to move, students push whole market up

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                          .... You have to admit that a fuckload of TV tropes have been smashed to pieces by this show. Martin delights in throwing your expectations out the window, and judging by most of the reactions around the internet this week, plenty of people were caught completely unawares.

Finally, some of the criticisms listed above are in fat major plot points, but I can't say much more for obvious reasons. If you've noticed that something doesn't make any sense, then it's probably going to be important later on.
                                                                                          One kinda contradicts the other, every time there ss a non sequiter you just know its designed just to make you go 'Ah yes,of course so thats why...' in a few episodes time.
                                                                                          Really what tropes other than the fairly obvious one from last night have been broken?

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

lol no
                                                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

How the fuck does he drop that pass!!! Ireland keeping it close so far which is good

Comment

Best Weight loss program

SPOILER
                                                                                                A man calls a company and orders their 5-day, 10 lb. weight loss program.

The next day, there's a knock on the door and there stands before him a voluptuous, athletic, 19 year old babe dressed in nothing but a pair of Nike running shoes and a sign around her neck.

She introduces herself as a representative of the weight loss company.

The sign reads, "If you can catch me, you can have me."

Without a second thought, he takes off after her.

A few miles later huffing and puffing, he finally gives up.

The same girl shows up for the next four days and the same thing happens.

On the fifth day, he weighs himself and is delighted to find he has lost 10 lbs. as promised.

He calls the company and orders their 5-day/20 pound program.

The next day there's a knock at the door and there stands the most stunning and beautiful woman he has ever seen in his life.

She is wearing nothing but Reebok running shoes and a sign around her neck that reads, "If you catch me you can have me."

Well, he's out the door after her like a shot.

This girl is in excellent shape and he does his best, but no such luck.

So for the next four days, the same routine happens with him gradually getting in better and better shape.

Much to his delight on the fifth day when he weighs himself, he discovers that he has lost another 20 lbs. as promised.

He decides to go for broke and calls the company to order the 7-day/50 pound program.

"Are you sure?" asks the representative on the phone. "This is our most rigorous program."

"Absolutely," he replies, "I haven't felt this good in years."

The next day there's a knock at the door; and when he opens it he finds a huge muscular guy standing there wearing nothing but pink running shoes and a sign around his neck that reads,"If I catch you, you are mine!!!"

He lost 63 pounds that week.
                                                                                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/MidWe...17622831832879
                                                                                                http://mayopubpoker.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Donkathon View Post
                                                                                                  I wonder would there be interest in a IPB paintball outing?
                                                                                                  Yip but obv 3 conditions,

1 Free beer.
                                                                                                  2 1800+ prizes for the draw.
                                                                                                  3 Flushdraw cant buy tickets.

You've set your standards, dont let us down.

Comment

I want one of these, does that make me weird?

2 grand on done deal

Her sky-ness
                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Got the HTC sensation today. Impressed with it. What's the recom[html][/html][html][/html]mended apps?

IPhone4 still for sale

Comment

mugged again, puncghed and kicked in the face. on phone to vodafone to get my phone cancelled, then off to garda station.
                                                                                                        Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                          mugged again, puncghed and kicked in the face. on phone to vodafone to get my phone cancelled, then off to garda station.

Shit one, where abouts?

Comment

omg really , are you ok
                                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Ugh, thats shit man.

Comment

Go wash your mouth out!

Comment

fairview. gigantic lump on forehead. so fucking pissed right now. took the first guy down with me, the second and third laid in and that was me done.
                                                                                                                  Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hegzy View Post
                                                                                                                    Got the HTC sensation today. Impressed with it. What's the recom[html][/html][html][/html]mended apps?

IPhone4 still for sale
                                                                                                                    My number one app is cabbage lite, same as air text pro on the iphone! and its free!

Gtunes is a must too as you can download all your music straight to the phone for free
                                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

fairview. gigantic lump on forehead. so fucking pissed right now. took the first guy down with me, the second and third laid in and that was me done.
                                                                                                                      thats fuckin scandelous, bastards, jesus your poor fucker.
                                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Nice to see the BBV got informed before you ring the guards.

Pretty sick in broad daylight though, do ye know the culprits Zod?
                                                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Ireland needs a batman. UL zod, hope ur ok.

lol at tv3 now, banged up abroad, the bird they have playing the dramatisation of the yoke its about, talk about a mismatch.
                                                                                                                          http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                                                                                                          donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X