This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    don't you know there is only one of them and he took the test for all his mates?

so a taximan told me anyway
    Same as our economics gurus obviously.

Comment

ah sure, I get the odd one right

some (mostly terrible) commentary on this over the weekend but the most interesting point made was that we would be better off to request an 'IMF bailout' as opposed to an 'EU bailout' as the Eurocrats are gagging to get their hands on our CT rate. Which of course would kill the patient.

interesting few days ahead. Phantom Lord, your country needs you!
      we're fucked so

Comment

The gap between the top and rest of the PL seems to be closing big time, it's no coincidence that the top teams have their spending power curtailed in recent seasons and now the also rans are pushing them every week.
        I think it's great for the PL , no longer can Manu, Chelski Liverpool Arsenal be considered home bankers when playing middle table teams. The big salaried players will have to knuckle down and earn their money or else their clubs will end up winning nothing. The team that wins the PL this season will be the hardest working team for a change.

Imo of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
          The gap between the top and rest of the PL seems to be closing big time, it's no coincidence that the top teams have their spending power curtailed in recent seasons and now the also rans are pushing them every week.
          I think it's great for the PL , no longer can Manu, Chelski Liverpool Arsenal be considered home bankers when playing middle table teams. The big salaried players will have to knuckle down and earn their money or else their clubs will end up winning nothing. The team that wins the PL this season will be the hardest working team for a change.

Imo of course.
          Spurs should put out the second XI in the CL and really go for the Premiership

imo
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Be careful what jokes you make online.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ror-conviction

Originally posted by Charlie Brooker
            The moment I've finished typing this, I'm going to walk out the door and set about strangling every single person on the planet. Starting with you, dear reader. I'm sorry, but it has to be done, for reasons that will become clear in a moment.

And for the sake of transparency, in case the powers-that-be are reading: this is categorically not a joke. I am 100% serious. Even though I don't know who you are or where you live, I am going to strangle you, your family, your pets, your friends, your imaginary friends, and any lifelike human dummies with haunted stares and wipe-clean vinyl orifices you've got knocking around, perhaps in a secret compartment under the stairs. The only people who might escape my wrath are the staff and passengers at Nottingham's Robin Hood airport, because they've been granted immunity by the state.

Last week 27-year-old accountant Paul Chambers lost an appeal against his conviction for comments he made back in January via the social networking hoojamflip Twitter, venting his frustration when heavy snow closed the airport, leaving him unable to visit his girlfriend.

"Crap!" he wrote. "Robin Hood airport is closed. You've got a week and a bit to get your shit together otherwise I'm blowing the airport sky high!!"

Anti-terror experts intercepted this message and spent hours deciphering it, eventually uncovering a stark coded warning within, cunningly disguised as a series of flippant words.

Chambers' use of multiple exclamation marks is particularly chilling. He almost seems to find the whole thing rather funny. The violent destruction of an entire airport – hundreds of passengers and staff being blasted to shrieking ribbons by tonnes of explosive, all because one man's dirty weekend has been postponed – yet all this senseless carnage is little more than an absurdist joke in the warped mind of Paul Chambers.

Funny is it, Mr Chambers? A big old laugh? Tell that to the theoretical victims of your hypothetical atrocity. Go on. Dig them out of the imaginary rubble. Listen to their anguished, notional screams. Ask how loudly they laughed as you hit the make-believe detonator. Go on. Ask them.

If you dare.

At least when Osama bin Laden broadcasts a warning to the west, his intentions form part of an extremist ideology informed by decades of resentment. Chambers issues bloodcurdling threats at the drop of a snowflake. This makes him the very worst kind of terrorist there is – the kind prepared to slaughter thousands in the name of inclement weather conditions.

Mercifully, in this case, before any innocent blood could be shed, Chambers was arrested, held in a police cell, and convicted of sending a "menacing electronic communication". His appeal was rejected last week by Judge Jacqueline Davies who described his original tweet as "menacing in its content and obviously so. It could not be more clear. Any ordinary person reading this would see it in that way and be alarmed."

Quite right too. In fact, throughout this case, the authorities have behaved impeccably – which is why it's such a crying shame I'm going to have to strangle all of them too. But strangle them I must.

Why? Because many of his fellow tweeters, outraged by Judge Davies' ruling, have retweeted Chambers' original message in a misguided show of solidarity. Thousands of people, all threatening to blow Robin Hood airport "sky high". Clearly they have to be stopped – but infuriatingly, many of them hide behind anonymous usernames. The only way to ensure they all taste justice is to punish everyone equally, just to be sure. Hence the strangling, which doesn't feel like too much of an overreaction under the circumstances. I'm just following the authorities' lead. They ought to give me a medal. From beyond the grave. After I've strangled them.

Still, loath as I am to strangle every man, woman, and child on the planet, it won't be an entirely thankless task. Clearly I will feel no remorse while strangling Chambers. He is a dangerous madman, and I look forward to sliding my hands around his neck and slowly choking the life out of him.

I also relish the prospect of strangling another tweeter-in-crime: Gareth Compton, the Tory councillor who ran afoul of the authorities last week for tweeting the words "can someone please stone Yasmin Alibhai-Brown to death? I shan't tell Amnesty if you don't. It would be a blessing, really."

He later apologised for what he claimed – outlandishly – was "an ill-conceived attempt at humour", even though I'm sure Judge Jacqueline Davies would agree that it was menacing in its content and obviously so, and in fact could not be more clear, and that any ordinary person reading it would see it in that way and be alarmed.

Reassuringly, the bloodthirsty maniac Compton was arrested hours later, presumably after being cornered in his lair by a Swat team. I'd like to shake every member of that team by the hand, which sadly won't be possible while I'm strangling them.

Anyway, I'm writing this on Friday, so by the time you read this on Monday my strangling rampage will have begun – unless the authorities have intercepted these words and arrested me in the interim, in which case I'd like to make it absolutely clear that I intend to strangle everyone in the prison before turning my hands on myself. Attention home secretary: you've got three days and a bit to get your shit together. Otherwise I'm strangling this planet sky-high.

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
            btw can anyone link me to that '1,000 books for the iPhone' someone was mentioning before?
            Would also like this link please.
            "I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes art. You read a book and the writer touches something in you that you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life. If you are living like an animal, what is the point? What makes the day interesting is that we try to transform it into something that is close to art." - Arsene Wenger

Comment

Any interesting news at home today Raoul?

Can anyone who's ever been to china let me know if they thought their manners were very very different? Gaggle of them in my lectures who are constantly chatting away and show no shame or embarrassment at being asked to stop by the lecturer. Has happened loads!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                Any interesting news at home today Raoul?
                that's a bit personal isn't it?

Comment

Home being Ireland you twerp

Comment

Home being Ireland you twerp
                    How can home be Ireland if you use insults like TWERP? Who says that west of Hollyhead? . The buzz word in the IPB these days is cunt I believe. Shocking but true. Please correct.

PS the BBV title needs a Kayroo grammar check

Comment

Twerp is making a comeback.

The Viper uses it

Comment

I don't think anyone has called me a twerp since the mid-80s

never fear, Gerry Adams will be a TD soon and he'll sort it all out

Comment

Twerp is making a comeback.

The Viper uses it
                          Do you mean when he jumps over the back fence shouting it's a twerp, it's a twerp?

Comment

Just finished marking some exams. I never realised just how harsh negative marking is
                            May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Spurs should put out the second XI in the CL and really go for the Premiership

imo
                              Or the other way around If that Liverpool team could win it '05, there is hope for any team

Comment

Originally posted by Lotto.ie View Post
                                Cats are pretty dumb.

Here is something pertaining to your interests.
                                I like it
                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Always kinda been a fan of Kat Dennings kinda has that quirky look I like, unfortunately she has had semi naked pics of hers released on the internet

[NSFW="Big Ass Boobs!"]

[/NSFW]

Comment

I am strangely drawn to tylerdurden's phrase 'big ass boobs'

I'm sure hotspur could have a field day with this

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post

lol

Who won the league last year without Essien?

Because Chelsea are the better side, obv.

Had a feeling today would be dodgy. Like to see how any side would do with the problems we have at the moment.

No Alex, Terry, Lampard, Essien and Benayoun. A midfield of Mikel, Zhirkov and fucking Ramires. Muck. Ferreira was a centre half ffs. Drogba is getting over Malaria and Malouda isn't going to play well without quality around him.

Sunderland were given time on the ball that you wouldn't see in the LOI, set pieces were terrible. Nothing weird about it, better team won imo.

Onuohas goal was class, WP.
                                      Chelsea barely got over the line ahead of United last season. The 2 teams dropped a lot of points along the way too.
                                      You have to agree that Essien has been unbelievable so this this season and any time I've seen them play with him in midfield far outweighs the state of them without him.

The experience of Ballack is also a loss as a filler in MF and Lampard practically played the whole of last season too.

Fact is, we are 3 points behind, playing badly ourselves with our best player out of action.

I hope that the league is wide open as Solksjaer pointed out above.
                                      Its no fun if 1 team runs away with it .

Comment

You were coming up with some gems the other day, could always change it if you come up with something better?

Comment

Iceland considers mortgage debt write off.

QUOTE:
                                          Nov. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Iceland’s lawmakers, banks and other groups will today start talks on the extent of debt relief to be given to households after a team of experts put forward 11 proposals including forgiving 15.5 percent of mortgage debts.

Ideas presented yesterday by a panel with representatives from the government, opposition, pension funds and banks include limiting debts to 110 percent of property values or a step-by- step reduction of obligations to 90 percent of asset values. The government could also take over non-performing debt from lenders, not including the state-backed Housing Financing Fund, and then reduce debts through arbitration.

Prime Minister Johanna Sigurdardottir’s Social Democrat, Left Green government is trying to assist families hit by last year’s 20 percent drop in real, disposable incomes and prevent the 39 percent of households whose mortgage debts exceed the value of their properties from losing their homes. The initiative follows protests last month in which as many as 8,000 Icelanders demonstrated outside the Parliament demanding debt relief.

All the country’s lenders have experienced an increase in the non-payment of loans, the prime minister’s office said in a statement on its website yesterday. The non-payment rate at banks, whereby debtors fail to service their obligations 90 days after a payment falls due, is at 10.4 percent with the banks, 6.4 percent with the Housing Finance Fund and 4 percent with pension funds, according to the statement.

HFF lending accounted for 64 percent of outstanding mortgage-backed debt at the end of June, according to Iceland’s Financial Supervisory Authority.

Interest Groups

The pension funds, which hold much of the mortgage-backed bonds under discussion, will block any proposal that hurts their assets and forces them to reduce retirement payments, Hrafn Magnusson, the managing director of the Icelandic Pension Funds Association, said in an Oct. 14 interview.

The Interest Group of the Homes, which represents households demanding debt relief, has said lenders should write off as much as 220 billion kronur ($1.97 billion) in mortgages to help homeowners.

Such a debt reduction would wipe out the impact of consumer price increases on the inflation-linked debt, according to Fridrik O. Fridriksson, chairman of the group.

Prices soared 41 percent from January 2007 through September this year, Statistics Iceland data show. Real wages fell 10.1 percent from the beginning of 2007 through August this year, the office said.

Foreclosure Moratorium

Sigurdardottir last month extended by five months a moratorium on foreclosures. Central bank Governor Mar Gudmundsson said in a Nov. 8 interview that political discussions “constantly implicitly promising something more” have “somewhat impaired” the incentive of households to enter existing restructuring programs needed to revive the economy.

Iceland’s banks are state-controlled successors to the failed lenders that brought down the economy two years ago. The resolution committees of Kaupthing Bank hf and Glitnir Bank hf agreed on behalf of creditors to take stakes in the new lenders, Arion Bank hf and Islandsbanki hf, to cover part of their claims.

The government holds an 81.33 percent stake in NBI hf, the successor to Landsbanki Islands hf. The remaining stake is controlled by Landsbanki’s resolution committee.
                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I tried to wear a poppy yesterday but my 22 month-old son robbed it and ate it

he's getting a Celtic top for Xmas

Comment

Portuguese foreign minister Luis Amado has suggested his country might need to leave the eurozone if it cannot come to agreement on an austerity budget.

Portugal has been unable to build a government coalition capable of passing the sort of cuts ECB officials are calling for, putting their membership at risk.

http://www.businessinsider.com/portu...e-euro-2010-11

Nothing much more to the story but I really like the photo they chose to use in the article.

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                Portuguese foreign minister Luis Amado has suggested his country might need to leave the eurozone if it cannot come to agreement on an austerity budget.
                                                how to start a Bank Run, Lesson 1

Comment

ah sure, I get the odd one right

some (mostly terrible) commentary on this over the weekend but the most interesting point made was that we would be better off to request an 'IMF bailout' as opposed to an 'EU bailout' as the Eurocrats are gagging to get their hands on our CT rate. Which of course would kill the patient.

interesting few days ahead. Phantom Lord, your country needs you!
                                                  why would an IMF bailout be better than an EU bailout?
                                                  what is a "CT rate" and why would the eurocrats want to get their hands on it?, and what is so great about ours?

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                    why would an IMF bailout be better than an EU bailout?
                                                    what is a "CT rate" and why would the eurocrats want to get their hands on it?, and what is so great about ours?
                                                    Corporation Tax i.e. 12.5%. The main reason that we aren't all planting potatoes for a living.

The frogs\krauts\wops\spics (gratuituous racism ftw) etc hate this rate as it diverts investment funds away from their economies and into ours. They would likely force us to change it if they bail us out.

The IMF are more market-driven and would more than likely not force us to change it.

in this case; EU BAD, IMF GOOD

Comment

Corporation Tax i.e. 12.5%. The main reason that we aren't all planting potatoes for a living.

The frogs\krauts\wops\spics (gratuituous racism ftw) etc hate this rate as it diverts investment funds away from their economies and into ours. They would likely force us to change it if they bail us out.

The IMF are more market-driven and would more than likely not force us to change it.

And if we go to the IMF instead of the ESF are we likely to be fecked out of the Euro?
                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Made me think of this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFXWzODEZ_A[/ame]

Comment

Thought this was really cool:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz4vGvoxQA[/ame]

Some interesting looking vids in the sidebar as well if you go to actual youtube to watch it...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                            And if we go to the IMF instead of the ESF are we likely to be fecked out of the Euro?
                                                            we will go to the EFSF so it's highly unlikely to apply, I was just making a point about the potential consequences and differing ideological POVs of the various players

fairly funny front-pager in the indo today; Lenihan mooting that we tap a bailout, 'but only for the banks'. GTFO you illiterate.

Comment

The ROI's love affair with the EUR could be destroyed by the IMF, depending on the use if the EFSF. Irelands GDP needs to get back on the rise, or is it GNP? I blame FF and AIB but BOI cannot hide either. Those phoneys in the DoF better pull the fingers out and get cracking on a feasible recovery plan to rid us of the hangover which stems from a heavy session of CDOs and CDS abuse. The EU and in particular GER are focussed on us, and we need to overcome the pressure before we are BUST.

Acroynm overdose

Comment

I don't dispute the bit in bold, but I thought Rehn conceded that the EFSF would have no authority to dictate corporation tax policy to Ireland? and surely even our politicians couldn't accept an increase in CT?

Comment

Descent enough offer today on Gruupy.

Comment

how would that have happened? Might he have some malware running?
                                                                    more than likely downloaded a corrupt file and picked the open all files of this type with...ie
                                                                    either that or had a shortcut to nowhere (uninstalled software) and did the same
                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

For anyone bored, some fantastic footage of everything really.

British Pathe, the world's leading multimedia resource with a history stretching back over a century. The finest and most comprehensive archive of fabulous footage and stunning stills.
                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

What is the thread title actually refering to.

1) The Irish economy
                                                                        2) The dog that forced the Australian rugby player to retire this week
                                                                        3) Chelseas defence yesterday
                                                                        4) Some innocent girl who walked in on the IPB boys on Saturday night.

I hope it's 3.

Comment

Originally posted by JG009
                                                                          If you had €86150..... to invest - not blow on stupid stuff - well what would you do with it, legal or not. Bearing in mind we could be bankrupt in a few months.

Comment

What is the thread title actually refering to.

1) The Irish economy
                                                                            2) The dog that forced the Australian rugby player to retire this week
                                                                            3) Chelseas defence yesterday
                                                                            4) Some innocent girl who walked in on the IPB boys on Saturday night.

I hope it's 3.

From the above post about Emma Watson (Hermione Granger).

Comment

@ Denny Crane / PL

What's this? Only just saw it now, don't recall posting

Originally posted by emmet02
                                                                              b You have been banned for the following reason:
                                                                              No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: 14-11-12, 04:00
                                                                              Originally posted by phantom_lord
                                                                              my bad

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...ostcount=76748

From the above post about Emma Watson (Hermione Granger).
                                                                                pervertus expellious

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                  Always kinda been a fan of Kat Dennings kinda has that quirky look I like, unfortunately she has had semi naked pics of hers released on the internet

This is the reason why yourself and Hailo are the perfect perverted photographer/blogger tag team. You never miss a trick . If it was left up to me I would never have ever seen those boobs, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by dazzler View Post
                                                                                    I don't dispute the bit in bold, but I thought Rehn conceded that the EFSF would have no authority to dictate corporation tax policy to Ireland? and surely even our politicians couldn't accept an increase in CT?
                                                                                    under an EFSF bailout, the problem is that they might not get the choice

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                      not drinking for 6 weeks

+

IPB session

=

still hungover

FML. back off the beer again. I'm some cringeworthy spanner with alcohol on board. Genuine apologies to anyone I offended (except Dom for lol'ing at liverpool). I thought I had alcohol poisoning I was in ribbons yesterday. not much better today.

@ Michelle - Westmeath is a county and not a town/area in Meath
                                                                                      im never gonna hear the end of this am I ? ah well as i said you learn something new every day, anyway I was never up the end of the country so how was i suppossed to know!

Im not surprised ur still hungover you were drinking whiskey like it was miwadi!!!!
                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

NSFW

SPOILER

Comment

...
                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Kat Dennings is a phenomenal looking woman. I'll take her over unhealthy size 6 / 8 models / Nadine Coyles every day of the week.
                                                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                              Kat Dennings is a phenomenal looking woman. I'll take her over unhealthy size 6 / 8 models / Nadine Coyles every day of the week.
                                                                                              <pictures Lloyd furiously turning away nymphomaniacal supermodels>

Comment

ship! Smart telecom sent out a flyer with the phone bill saying they would double my connection speed from 5 to 10mbs FOC. noticed it hadnt been done, so rang to ask when, they activate it when you ring, ill be on 10mbs at midnight tonight with a 170gb allowance. schweeeeet
                                                                                                http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                                                                                donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

At the Samoa match, there were 3 seats empty either side of our occupied seats. When we came back from the half time beers and mouldy baquette one of our seats were occupied, but it left 4 other empty seats. I felt intruded as the seats assigned to us were now infringed. However I didn't give it much thought due to empty seats abound. Anyway after a few minutes I started laughing to myself. Wha are you laughing at? Nothing sez I. What I was laughing at was I just then thought of rounders123 and how he'd be churning this intrusion over in his head to see what the best play was for etiquettes sake. That chap really needs a column somewhere. If yer reading Roundy some advice for next time just in case I'm feeling pernickidy.

Comment

i banned you when i was drunk emmet

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                    you can send them my way plz now that i've my mojo back.

Comment

At the Samoa match, there were 3 seats empty either side of our occupied seats. When we came back from the half time beers and mouldy baquette one of our seats were occupied, but it left 4 other empty seats. I felt intruded as the seats assigned to us were now infringed. However I didn't give it much thought due to empty seats abound. Anyway after a few minutes I started laughing to myself. Wha are you laughing at? Nothing sez I. What I was laughing at was I just then thought of rounders123 and how he'd be churning this intrusion over in his head to see what the best play was for etiquettes sake. That chap really needs a column somewhere. If yer reading Roundy some advice for next time just in case I'm feeling pernickidy.
                                                                                                      rounders' head would probably have exploded with the appalling vistas conjured up

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                        I was banned for a while that night too...

Comment

Banned me too

Comment

have two black tie events coming, thinking i might as well purchase a tux.

any recommendations for where to go? don't really need louis copeland!

Comment

ah they were only temp ones

Comment

I had a similar incident on the last Enterprise from Belfast on Fiday.
                                                                                                                This train was close to empty ; ratio-wise it made the Aviva on Saturday look like a full house. There was maybe 80 punters cumulative on the entire 4 carriages.
                                                                                                                Because some couples/friends were happy to sit together it meant that everyone else basically had a nice 4 seater area to themselves.

And still I was looking daggers at the oul lad who had seated himself in the seat that I had selected for myself on the online booking system.

Comment

have two black tie events coming, thinking i might as well purchase a tux.

any recommendations for where to go? don't really need louis copeland!
                                                                                                                  Black Tie on O'Connell street are having a 50% sale I think if you fancy something off the rack. I would advise buying a kilt if you have any Scottish Blood at all. The ladies love it

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan-Black View Post
                                                                                                                    Black Tie on O'Connell street are having a 50% sale I think if you fancy something off the rack. I would advise buying a kilt if you have any Scottish Blood at all. The ladies love it
                                                                                                                    Are you serious? I can't speak for the ladies but when the lads hear your accent, they'll think you're a complete knobhead.

Comment

In before MrsFlushdraw kills Careca

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                                                        Are you serious? I can't speak for the ladies but when the lads hear your accent, they'll think you're a complete knobhead.
                                                                                                                        Nah I have more then enough Scots in me to be fine and able to carry it off. Im from fine Edinburgh stock so no need for a tux for me its a sexy skirt for all the big nights out. Had to move here for the slightly nicer weather was really sold by the tourist board ads

Comment

Still on the Enterprise last Friday there was this very drunk Dublin lad in his 40s/50s wandering around the train intermittently, skulling back neat whiskey, breaking into maudlin song and encouraging everyone else to join in.
                                                                                                                          Harmless lad really, probably has a few good Abraham Simpson style nonsense stories to tell anyone who's willing to give up 10 minutes of their time.

This American couple got on at Newry ; 10 minutes later I hear the Mountains of Mourne being butchered and the drunk lad is back, swaying precariously through the carriage with his whiskey in hand. Except now he has a high-vis jacket on, and has this wheeze of pretending to be the ticket inspector. "Where the Mountains of Tickets Please, ladies and gentlemen, tickets please Mourne sweep down to the sea". And the American couple dutifully get their tickets out of their pocket and hand them to him for inspection, genuinely believing that this is how an Irish ticket inspector would behave.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X