• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keane View Post

No I didn't
    Ah here . Implied it then.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Not sure that O'Mahony goading the Kiwi skipper is a good idea ahead of next week. But fun to see the bullies bullied.
      So apparently what O'Mahony told Kane was:

You're just a shit Richie McCaw
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Which two are the best at the moment?

Played against Ronan at the IO on Day 2 and he is pretty ruthless. I just stayed away from him like a pussy waiting on a new table
        Yeah I’d be right there with you.

I was referring to him and Alex Kulev. They’re playing all the big events online and they’ve had some great results.
        Kulev won 200K+ in a big field online while playing Day 3 of the IO.

Obviously, Smidge has been around for a long time and Clickii has had some great results live but I’m just going off the recent results I’ve seen and people I’ve chatted to.

Around 2-3 months ago, I just asked someone who’s a full
        time Irish MTT player who were the best Irish players atm and they responded with Alex & Ronan.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          No judgement, but this does seem like a classic tory headline.
          Women drivers....

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Ah here . Implied it then.
            I said it was a bit disappointing that we fell over the line. We didn't play particularly well but the game should have been out of sight at half-time. Our backs were good in fairness but we gifted Dublin a goal with a turnover that is almost inexplicable and out of our two best players on the day O'Shea missed a penalty and Clifford went out of the game in the second half. I don't think Clifford has trained much in the last two months so maybe that explains him a bit. Other than those two our midfield and forwards were only fair.

I don't think Dublin's trajectory is great. Big performances from great players yesterday in the second half but couldn't close it out in a situation they would have been certainties in a few years ago. McCarthy is 32, Fitzsimons 33, Rock and Cooper are finished at this level. Other leading lights yesterday were Kilkenny and Fenton who will both be the wrong side of 30 this time next year. We know Dublin have issues with player retention. Will all these guys stick around and put their shoulder to the wheel when they no longer look to be All Ireland favourites? IDK maybe they'll be better next year than they are this year but evidence doesn't seem to be in favour of it.

At the same time I'm labouring under the assumption that Kerry's forwards are going to click into gear at some stage, cut out the mistakes and take off. Maybe they're overrated but I think we've been focused on our defense this year assuming Clifford will keep the show on the road up top. As I said we might figure out how to get the balance better next year once the defense is bedded in and doesn't need so much attention. The lack of decent games doesn't help either but the new format should help that next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
              I doubt sending Rihanna and her 5 sprogs off to Trobolgan for an all expense paid weeks holiday would prove very popular with the workers in the country.
              Rhianna is already well aware of what she can gain from the system, how many of us PAYE workers are aware there is even a hardship fund with DSP ?

Wife works in social welfare, people do look for holidays, stress related and car repairs, 3k car repairs. Great country in fairness.
              This too shall pass.

Comment

So apparently what O'Mahony told Kane was:

He took out his mouthguard and toned down the langer accent to make sure he was heard
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I actually haven't seen any 2018 Meerlust on the shelves yet. O'Briens still had 2017 in one of their stores yesterday. I think it was around October last year that 2017 came onto the shelves so might be the same again this year for 2018.

On the En Primeur wines, I try to go for value as much as I can. If you had unlimited money you could be buying wine for up to €600 per bottle. Even if I had bottomless pockets, I couldn't see myself spending that kind of cash. I've been pretty much sticking to the same wines each year so some good Tuesday wine (Chateau Francs Magnus) the second wines of Gruaud Larose, Leoville Poyferre and Lynch Bages (although I dropped Lynch Bages this year), and a few solid Bordeaux's that I like to drink in Chateau Gloria and Chateau Fourcas Holsten, Generally a dozen of each except the Tuesday wine where I'd go for two dozen.

Other than that, my cellar (AKA under the stairs) contains the following

Half dozen Meerlust from 2013, 14, 15, 16, 17
                  5 Mount Horrocks Cab Sav 2014 from Oz - Had planned to keep this longer but dipped into it and it may now not last
                  4 bottles of good gear that we got as a present where each wine should be at peak drinking when we are 5, 7, 10 and 20 years married (years 1 and 2 are gone!)
                  A few bottles of wedding wine - Nothing spectacular, more sentimental - Can't see it still being there come the end of year.
                  A few bottles of Chateau Musar 2001
                  Half Dozen Aubert & Mathieu Corbieres - very drinkable
                  Half Dozen Villa Bel Air 2016 which will be drank very soon
                  Half Dozen Quinta de la Rosa (drank this a good bit in Portugal recently so picked up a case for a dinner at the end of July with friends we were there with)
                  Probably about 9 random bottles of all sorts
                  Just bought another few bottles of Meerlust 2017 for a kickoff while I try and parse the rest of that post, cheers for that Lao Lao!

I see here that I can buy 12 Francs Magnus for €96 to be delivered in early 2023 - is that an example of good Tuesday wine? What else are examples of that category? The more expensive stuff would probably be wasted on me but I like the idea of getting a couple of cases of decent quality stuff at good prices for occasional sipping even if I have to wait a few months for delivery

Comment

I know I'll be classed as an animal but I much prefer Spanish to almost any other wine, so much so I'll willfully ignore French or Italian alternatives most times.
                    I'm not exacly sure why
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

In a way it was a bit disappointing as I think we're the better team by far, but it was almost a requirement that we would have to fall over the line the first time we beat them in Championship. We're a total work in progress still. The backs are really getting there but the forwards malfunction a lot. Maybe need to tweak the balance over the next year or two. Wouldn't be much else around you'd be afraid of. If we can get over Galway it might be an enjoyable couple of years.
                      You reckon Clifford is a shoe in for footballer of the year? Seems a solid bet at evens as per the market.
                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Haven't even got to the end of this thread yet, had to take a break from laughing my hole off

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          Haven't even got to the end of this thread yet, had to take a break from laughing my hole off

Scammed out of $4k. Big swinging mickey https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-62123966
                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Sometimes I think "Dublin GAA fans get way too hard a time" and then we lose a game or we are thoroughly lacking grace in victory and I think "Nah, fair enough"
                            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

You reckon Clifford is a shoe in for footballer of the year? Seems a solid bet at evens as per the market.
                              I dunno. It's the hipster thing now to say that you think Sean O'Shea is the real best footballer in the country a bit like around 2009 when everyone started saying Iniesta was the best soccer player while sharing the pitch with Messi who was like an extraterrestrial.

If O'Shea had a big final I could see him getting votes. Probably still a chance Clifford wins it even if Galway win the final depending how Comer, Daly and Mcdaid were to play.

I guess evens might be decent value alright I'll have more of a think about it

Comment

Great piece on the gigantic mess that is Elon's twitter acquisition - https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...buying-twitter

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                  I know I'll be classed as an animal but I much prefer Spanish to almost any other wine, so much so I'll willfully ignore French or Italian alternatives most times.
                                  I'm not exacly sure why
                                  heresy re french wine . tbh there's good wine everywhere.

i know i'll be classed as an animal, but meerlust doesn't do it for me. i've had plenty over the years and i don't mind a glass or 2 with dinner but find it overpowering and subtle as a fucking ton of bricks. there, i said it

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                    i know i'll be classed as an animal, but meerlust doesn't do it for me. i've had plenty over the years and i don't mind a glass or 2 with dinner but find it overpowering and subtle as a fucking ton of bricks. there, i said it
                                    It's typically South African.

Comment

Finished stranger things s4 over the weekend. Thought it was almost as good as first season. Big improvement over previous two anyway.

The big winners are actually....
                                      ​​​​​​
                                      SPOILER
                                      Metallica and Kate Bush. Great to see their music introduced to another generation. The bloddy songs are as old as me but apt for their scenes.

Comment

Just bought another few bottles of Meerlust 2017 for a kickoff while I try and parse the rest of that post, cheers for that Lao Lao!

I see here that I can buy 12 Francs Magnus for €96 to be delivered in early 2023 - is that an example of good Tuesday wine? What else are examples of that category? The more expensive stuff would probably be wasted on me but I like the idea of getting a couple of cases of decent quality stuff at good prices for occasional sipping even if I have to wait a few months for delivery
                                        Francs Magnus would be my main Tuesday wine from the En Primeur wines that I buy. They'd all be drank within a year of arrival while the rest would be tucked away for varying lengths of time. A lot of wine critics score on the 100 point scale (details below) and 2020 Francs Magnus scores between 84-91 from four critics for an average of 88.

Just to note, that €96 is excluding VAT & Duty so you'd need to allow for that - Duty is €3.19 a bottle and VAT is 23% (applied to the cost of the wine and the Duty) so 96+38.28+30.88 = 165.16 or 13.76 a bottle (assuming Duty and VAT rates don't change between now and early 2023.)
                                        95–100 Classic: a great wine
                                        90–94 Outstanding: a wine of superior character and style
                                        85–89 Very good: a wine with special qualities
                                        80–84 Good: a solid, well-made wine
                                        75–79 Mediocre: a drinkable wine that may have minor flaws
                                        50–74 Not recommended

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                        I'm not exacly sure why
                                        There is a lot of good Spanish wine out there and they often offer very good value. Absolutely nothing wrong with opting for them.

Comment

It's typically South African.
                                          definitely, but there are so many pinots from SA that i love. bullies yes, but just not overpowering. just personal preference tbh

Comment

While I drink wine from New Zealand, Spain, Portugal, Australia, Lebanon (and to a lesser extent) from Austria and USA, I am predominately a Francophile by a good distance.

I drink virtually no Italian wine for some reason.

Comment

Looking forward to plundering a few caves when I'm over in La France for the next couple of weeks.

High on the list:
                                              • Rhone reds
                                              • Bergerac reds, esp Pecharmant
                                              • Champagne (for the ladeez)
                                              • Riesling
                                              • White Bordeaux
                                              • Loire whites
                                              • Norman cider
                                              • Savoy whites
                                              • Some pinot noir, starting to find it really improving from outside Burgundy
                                              • St Emilion
                                              Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 11-07-22, 19:39.

Comment

I drink virtually no Italian wine for some reason.
                                                This is one of your many personal failings as a human being.

Comment

That Twitter\Musk thing is some mess. Really hoping for them both to go broke in some hilarious fashion.

Comment

This is one of your many personal failings as a human being.
                                                    I look forward to starting my rehabilitation as a human under your expert tutelage.

I'll bring the tasting glasses - You can supply the Italian wine

Comment

England women absolutely spanking the Norwegians (Oh Matron!)

6-0 up and it's not even half time.

Norway have been poor but England have been very good

Comment

Would the best of the women's teams in the Euros be able to beat a middling LOI team?

Hs anyone ever tried to establish the level?.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                          Would the best of the women's teams in the Euros be able to beat a middling LOI team?

Hs anyone ever tried to establish the level?.

I'm no expert but I think that the best women's team would struggle to beat an U18 Premiership team. Skill wise they might be similar but the physicality shades it for the lads.

I'm quite open for that to be challenged but that would be my gut instinct.

Comment

I look forward to starting my rehabilitation as a human under your expert tutelage.

I'll bring the tasting glasses - You can supply the Italian wine
                                                            We shall commence in the autumn.

Italian wine is kinda mad. It's incredibly regional and, apart from the handful of varieties everyone knows, you generally have little idea what is you're drinking.

Comment

I'm no expert but I think that the best women's team would struggle to beat an U18 Premiership team. Skill wise they might be similar but the physicality shades it for the lads.

They would struggle against an in-18 Dublin district league team let alone premiership.
                                                              nothing wrong with that though that’s why there is gender division in sports .
                                                              the drama etc is right up there- did watch the last womens World Cup, what always let’s it down is the goalkeeping- hard not to go full gray/keys at some of the stuff you will see on that front
                                                              Last edited by MysteryGuest; 11-07-22, 20:10.
                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Financial doping “idiots” still present and correct. That defeat yesterday doesn’t change anything- just makes it worse for Dublin that they couldn’t win with all their advantages/greater achievement by Kerry as they beat a team who have unfair advantages
                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

My guess is it would be an U17 Premiership team, too much of a physical difference. I would love to see it happen actually

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                    Financial doping “idiots” still present and correct. That defeat yesterday doesn’t change anything- just makes it worse for Dublin that they couldn’t win with all their advantages/greater achievement by Kerry as they beat a team who have unfair advantages
                                                                    Great game of Tennis
                                                                    this time Advantage Kerry next time we will find out next year
                                                                    Bring it on
                                                                    #Dessiemustgo

Comment

Euro dropping closer and close to parity with the dollar, 1.004 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                        Sometimes I think "Dublin GAA fans get way too hard a time" and then we lose a game or we are thoroughly lacking grace in victory and I think "Nah, fair enough"
                                                                        In fairness, I saw your tweets, I got a WhatsApp message off Horatio and another from a boardie I've swapped tickets with before, and went to meet my Dub mate who couldn't make the game for a pint in the local yesterday evening. So the good ones are out there and thankfully I've always had a very good experience with Dublin fans.

yesterday was the very 1st time I've got actual aggressive stick off a fan but it was literally one arsehole on the bus who probably couldnt name a player.

The genuine match going fans get it, others don't.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                                            #Dessiemustgo
                                                                            It's all the hockey he played as a young fella, turned him soft.

Master plan coming to fruition, muhhahahaha.

Comment

That Twitter\Musk thing is some mess. Really hoping for them both to go broke in some hilarious fashion.
                                                                              Musk should just set up a rival platform. Copy the best bits of Twitter and drop the worst bits. I know Trump tried it but it was done on the cheap and had a obvious fat orange disadvantage.
                                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

No judgement, but this does seem like a classic tory headline.
                                                                                I was thinking the high heels might have been a cause of the accident, though it seems that was misreported

Adrian Watson owned the home next to the accident scene and said in a statement that he had gone to the car with Natalie Webb, a friend, and looked inside to see Wallis at the wheel dressed in a wig, lipstick, a pearl necklace, white long-sleeved top, leather mini skirt, tights and court shoes. Both the driver and passenger airbags had been deployed.

Comment

LOL. tis all. Who can i sue for the disrespect to the Great Dubs. ?

#BettercallKayroo

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Ah now. If you ever find yourself quoting Ewan something has gone deeply wrong.
                                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Mo Farah wtf

Comment

Ah now. If you ever find yourself quoting Ewan something has gone deeply wrong.
                                                                                        I agree with you. he's a moron. Just posted the tweet cos it was so similar to MysteryGuest post. Could be him

Comment

They should have a week's holidays for everyone as a national right, just for the mental benefits. They did that in France. That if you couldn't afford to go away, maybe on social welfare, they'd pay for you and your family to go to a campsite for the week in August.
                                                                                          Without knowing the details of the French scheme (which is doubtless far better) there is such a thing in Ireland, but ran through the SVP and completely free.
                                                                                          Sunshine House in Balbriggan it's called, been on the go for about 70 years. Kids only, aged 7 to 12, so not a family holiday as such.
                                                                                          I've heard only good things about it, people seem to have fond memories of their time there.
                                                                                          I never went, in hindsight I was pretty much gaslit by my mother into 'John doesn't want to go there'. (She was probably correct in fairness)

Comment

For context, Ali is one of the players banned online for known use of RTA. They are deep in the main with I think about 300 players left and Ali is still in seated at a table with Dan Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                              Great piece on the gigantic mess that is Elon's twitter acquisition - https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...buying-twitter

Love this...

"But nobody at Twitter actually wants Musk to buy Twitter, do they? Repricing the deal might be good for Twitter’s shareholders, who would get cashed out of this mess, and for its senior executives, who will get severance payments (and get to stop being Twitter executives), but it seems pretty bad for Twitter’s employees and users and the world to have someone who hates Twitter grudgingly buy it."

Excellent appraisal of the current situation. A mess indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Without knowing the details of the French scheme (which is doubtless far better) there is such a thing in Ireland, but ran through the SVP and completely free.
                                                                                                Sunshine House in Balbriggan it's called, been on the go for about 70 years. Kids only, aged 7 to 12, so not a family holiday as such.
                                                                                                I've heard only good things about it, people seem to have fond memories of their time there.
                                                                                                I never went, in hindsight I was pretty much gaslit by my mother into 'John doesn't want to go there'. (She was probably correct in fairness)
                                                                                                I thought I was entirely misremembering someone having told me something similar.
                                                                                                I recalled it was somehow related to SVP as a relative worked with them for years.
                                                                                                I didn’t know it was only kids though.
                                                                                                If I remember the rest of the story, I think it came up because Tramore was a popular spot for it in the 80s.

Comment

I feel that's not quite the same scheme, as the joy of holidays is the quality time between the kids and their parents. Strengthening those bonds that get frayed by 'just living life'.

Comment

I've never put petrol in a car tank before, but remember the driving instructor saying that in modern petrol stations the petrol stops automatically when the car is full.

Would any France-goers know if that's the same in French petrol stations?
                                                                                                    ​​​​

Comment

I've never put petrol in a car tank before, but remember the driving instructor saying that in modern petrol stations the petrol stops automatically when the car is full.

Would any France-goers know if that's the same in French petrol stations?
                                                                                                      ​​​​
                                                                                                      Lol, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Lol, yes.
                                                                                                        Cheers. I'm operating off a 40 year old memory of how my dad used to fill the car. Good to see the technology has progressed

Comment

Cheers. I'm operating off a 40 year old memory of how my dad used to fill the car. Good to see the technology has progressed
                                                                                                          I had diesel sprayed all over me once by a malfunctioning one.

Another time, years ago I was filling up a Jeep. I had a trick with the cap where I stuck it under the handle so it would fill itself. I'd walk into the shop and wait until it was done.

Did that one time and came out and drove off. Pulling the pump with me. Days before viral vids thankfully.
                                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I had diesel sprayed all over me once by a malfunctioning one.

Another time, years ago I was filling up a Jeep. I had a trick with the cap where I stuck it under the handle so it would fill itself. I'd walk into the shop and wait until it was done.

Did that one time and came out and drove off. Pulling the pump with me. Days before viral vids thankfully.
                                                                                                            My kid brother took a job at the Maxol in Templeogue when he was 15. Decided to have a sneaky smoke when it was quiet. You can imagine the rest.
                                                                                                            Surprised he made it to 29 before he kicked it

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Wasn't the one one Ushers Quay by any chance?

Comment

I'll be operation off a 40 year old memory of how to siphon petrol out of cars if this cost of living crisis get any deeper!
                                                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Managed to spill petrol over trouser leg of a nice suit.
                                                                                                                  Googled it and advice was to leave it out in the air and just let it evaporate. Worked perfectly..no damage and no aftersmell

Comment

I remember being probably 12 or 13 minding two cars and a van in the queue for petrol for hours trying to keep the business open. One of the vans was a wreck that didn't start but they weren't letting people fill cans so we'd tow it up get the ration of 5 gallons into it and tow it back and siphon it.

Comment

How low do you let you car go before filling it back up? In the family car, the missus lets it run so low that it’s only a matter of time she’ll be caught out. When I’m driving it I often have to put some Euros in it. I think she just hates putting the fuel into the car. I dunno why, I kind of like watching my money spin by at a rapid pace, with the price gauge lapping the Litres gauge . , great fun. It’s also deffo not the money with her as she’s like me, the opposite to frugal. I used to complain a lot about wimmin drivers, and I know now that’s sexist. There are also some shits tranny drivers too I guess. (maybe just ugly wimmin but I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt)

Comment

139 left in Main Event, not a Paddy in sight.

Last two winners still standing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Musk should just set up a rival platform. Copy the best bits of Twitter and drop the worst bits. I know Trump tried it but it was done on the cheap and had a obvious fat orange disadvantage.
                                                                                                                          There's been a few twitter alternatives, usually from right wing sources, they all fail pretty much.
                                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X