Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to the pub for a substantial meal last night. Busy out.

Which is both mighty and I'm sure a guarantee of a surge.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

B-Day
        You can't even satire things anymore now that the UK is trying literal gunboat diplomacy.

What price a further can kicking announcement?
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I'd always say 'Indian', 'Japanese', 'Chinese', 'Russian', 'Arab' etc rather than Asian. Asia's is just too enormous. You could say the same about Africa.
          If you know, then of course specify. But you don't always know more than a vague region. You'd often here people described as Eastern European, South American, or whatever.
          Context is also important.

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
          I never said this though.

My point was you shouldn't assume someone's ethnic background based on the way they look.
          You said geographic background, "where they were from", that's not the same as ethnicity. As I said, you seem to be conflating the two. Obviously I agree you can't tell where somebody is from based on appearance. That goes without saying.
          Hitch gave the example of saying "that Asian guy", you replied "How can you tell somebody is from Asia just by looking at them?"
          Describing somebody as Asian doesn't equal saying they are from Asia.
          Like with that facepalm gif you posted, I presume you didn't verify where he was from before posting. The meme words because of ethnicity.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
            Jamming to The Kinks, Lola vs Powerman album tonight.. 50 years old earlier this year (deluxe editions hitting the shops just now).

Hard to believe.

Incredible that its controversial /trans/coca-cola referencing anchor track, Lola is older than me (albeit marginal)

Great song.

It was originally banned by the BBC. Not, as you would assume, for the boys will be girls stuff. But for Coca-Cola, as it was deemed product placement.
            Which is why the single version was changed to Cherry Cola. I think my brain goes to the cherry lyrics first.

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

There's very little virus going around, so there's very little to spread. It'll definitely rise but maybe remain controlled. Please nobody quote this in two months when we are sheltering in caves "remain controlled, he said, it'll all be fine, he said"
                Ex-po-nen-tial

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                  Jamming to The Kinks, Lola vs Powerman album tonight.. 50 years old earlier this year (deluxe editions hitting the shops just now).

Hard to believe.

Incredible that its controversial /trans/coca-cola referencing anchor track, Lola is older than me (albeit marginal)

Great song.

It was originally banned by the BBC. Not, as you would assume, for the boys will be girls stuff. But for Coca-Cola, as it was deemed product placement.
                  Which is why the single version was changed to Cherry Cola. I think my brain goes to the cherry lyrics first.

Comment

Went to the pub for a substantial meal last night. Busy out.

Which is both mighty and I'm sure a guarantee of a surge.
                    Was very peculiar to be around so many strangers. Never expected going for a pint to be a novel experience.

Thought I'd be cancelled on twitter when I logged in and saw so many notifications today, turned out it was just because I'd replied to one of hitchs messages.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Hitch gave the example of saying "that Asian guy", you replied "How can you tell somebody is from Asia just by looking at them?"
                      Describing somebody as Asian doesn't equal saying they are from Asia.
                      You are splitting hairs here. Asian background, Asian ethnicity, you still shouldn't assume based on looks.

You can usually see black and white by looking at somebody. But with Asian you have to assume.

The Irish don't appreciate been categorised as British.

So it's OK in your books to describe this band as Asian even though they are neither from an Asian background or ethnically Asian?

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

What actually happened with the soccer 'the black guy' guy in the end?

Comment

What actually happened with the soccer 'the black guy' guy in the end?
                          Game was suspended and played the following night with different officals. Uefa have opened an investigation with the official facing up to a 10 game ban if found guilty of an offence.
                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

Game was suspended and played the following night with different officals. Uefa have opened an investigation with the official facing up to a 10 game ban if found guilty of an offence.
                              The offence being to identify someone by saying 'the black guy'?

Or is he alleged to have done something else?

Comment

Comment

The offence being to identify someone by saying 'the black guy'?

Or is he alleged to have done something else?
                                  Did you read the article Strewel suggested for you?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Did you read the article Strewel suggested for you?
                                      Don't remember if I did! So no.

Comment

Its probably a handy thing for the brits to focus on in that case. As French and Spanish fisherman deeply care about it - and so therefore do their politicians - so use that as a wedge to get concessions on services. Thats why they are emphasising the fish thing so much - not because it matters to them, but because it matters to the EU countries.
                                        It's something relatively simple and emotive that can be plucked out of the immensely complex Brexit morass, so easy tabloid meat for the proletariat.

'Dey tuk our fish'.

Comment

Smashed my phone.
                                          More than past time to get a new one.
                                          Thinking a oneplus 8T, I know tylerdurden94 and others have been fans in the past.
                                          Whats the forum phone these days?
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

It's something relatively simple and emotive that can be plucked out of the immensely complex Brexit morass, so easy tabloid meat for the proletariat.

'Dey tuk our fish'.
                                            It’s a little bit easier than in order to reduce the costs of production against other European countries we want to be able to to change the rules around workers safety, what chemicals we can use and what qualifies as a safe product.

we are planning on filling your meat with angledust, selling you products filled with dubious chemicals and making you work in Victoria era factory’s.

Rees Mogg read a Christmas carol and thought that good start but terrible ending.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                              B-Day
                                              You can't even satire things anymore now that the UK is trying literal gunboat diplomacy.

What price a further can kicking announcement?

Comment

Smashed my phone.
                                                More than past time to get a new one.
                                                Thinking a oneplus 8T, I know tylerdurden94 and others have been fans in the past.
                                                Whats the forum phone these days?
                                                I've got a Pixel 3A and it's a great phone IMHO, got it in a super deal too last year, the newer Pixel 4A looks a very decent phone in terms of camera and software (most important features IMHO) and likewise there are many good deals on it from time to time on HotUKDeals. For me the bang to buck ratio on the flagship phones doesn't make sense, they cost too much for the extra features over the mid range versions that cost half as much.

Comment

Anybody playing Cyberpunk 2077? Launch sounds like an omnishambles. Sony beginning to refund PS4 players.
                                                  Sony probably pressured them into the early launch to coincide with the release on the PS5.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 13-12-20, 21:59.

Comment

Comment

The oneplus Nord is a ridic good phone. Everything excellent about the oneplus 8, but for half the price. The reviews tend to be quite puzzled exactly what the oneplus strategy is given the Nord deal is so good.
                                                        good point.
                                                        I think I'll get that one

Comment

Thanks for the book recommendations, got Hustler and that Obama book.

Comment

Anybody playing Cyberpunk 2077? Launch sounds like an omnishambles. Sony beginning to refund PS4 players.
                                                            Sony probably pressured them into the early launch to coincide with the release on the PS5.
                                                            It should never have been released like that for PS4, it looks so bad. It really shouldn't, they've been making this game for 8 years. I'll play it on PC soon enough, looks great there. My friends list is full of people playing it. It quickly got up to a million players concurrently on steam.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

It should never have been released like that for PS4, it looks so bad. It really shouldn't, they've been making this game for 8 years. I'll play it on PC soon enough, looks great there. My friends list is full of people playing it. It quickly got up to a million players concurrently on steam.
                                                                yeah was planning on getting it but will wait for PS5

Comment

There is a campaign starting to get this to Number 1 in UK on the 1st of January

Was looking to have a bet on it being Xmas Number 1 but they releasing it on the 25th to avoid that

Comment

There is a campaign starting to get this to Number 1 in UK on the 1st of January

Was looking to have a bet on it being Xmas Number 1 but they releasing it on the 25th to avoid that

Comment

You are splitting hairs here. Asian background, Asian ethnicity, you still shouldn't assume based on looks.
                                                                      I’m really not splitting hairs tbh.
                                                                      “Where some body is from” is entirely different to ethnicity.
                                                                      You first post was entirely about where they were from.

You can usually see black and white by looking at somebody. But with Asian you have to assume.
                                                                      So with black/white you can usually tell - but you can’t always. Which means you make an assumption also.
                                                                      Exactly the same as the Asian situation. Usually you can tell, but not always.

So why is one assumption ok, but not the other? Huge double standard there dude. I imagine that people are incorrectly identified as black/white just as much as Asian, probably more often tbh.

The Irish don't appreciate been categorised as British
                                                                      nobody likes being miscategorised. You are saying it’s ok to make some assumptions but not others. Pretty much every time you describe a person you don’t know personally you makes assumptions based on appearance.

So it's OK in your books to describe this band as Asian even though they are neither from an Asian background or ethnically Asian?

Not sure who that is. But some look Inuit rather than Asian.
                                                                      I’m guessing that’s the twist. That’s a pretty rare case for confusion tbh.

Kinda of similar to how one might mistakenly assume a fair skinned or albino African American is Caucasian*? Why is that ok, but not the former?
                                                                      Mistakes can happen but saying we should make zero assumptions ever, very quickly gets very ridiculous.

*Is it even ok to use Caucasian? Geographical and ethically inaccurate like 99% of the time.
                                                                      Always found that one a bit bizarre. Probably coined by a racist.

Comment

RIP to the man who taught Raoul everything he knows about Russia.
                                                                        i.e. far more than you

Hadn't actually realised he was sick but I guess old age etc.
                                                                        Fairly insanely interesting life he led and the story of his father is probably the maddest bit of all.

RIP David Cornwall.

Comment

i.e. far more than you

Hadn't actually realised he was sick but I guess old age etc.
                                                                          Fairly insanely interesting life he led and the story of his father is probably the maddest bit of all.

RIP David Cornwall.
                                                                          David Cornwell. Died in Cornwall.

Comment

One of the easier mistakes to make tbf

Comment

RTE Newsreader this morning struggled hard with that

I must try to figure out which of his more recent books I haven't read that are worth giving a spin to. Maybe even give the Karla books another spin they are the only series of books I've ever reread and they were just as good the second time around.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

RTE Newsreader this morning struggled hard with that

I must try to figure out which of his more recent books I haven't read that are worth giving a spin to. Maybe even give the Karla books another spin they are the only series of books I've ever reread and they were just as good the second time around.

I'd recommend the Pigeon Tunnel (autobiograhpical) if you're looking to know more about the man - and plenty more mad stories about his conman father.

Comment

good point.
                                                                                  I think I'll get that one
                                                                                  NORD ordered. Decided to go amazon and 3rd party case and glass instead of the OnePlus option
                                                                                  One plus was €5 cheaper with free earbuds but amazon will deliver tomorrow. (and in the colour I wanted)

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Gerard Houiller passed away managed Liverpool but I forgave him for that. A likeable sort . Recommended Cantona to United .

Comment

...

Comment

That looks cool. I see he has a book that is maybe set in Brittany also - A legacy of spies.
                                                                                            Think that might have been his last one ever; was basically a farewell to the remaining Smiley characters.
                                                                                            I think the Brittany setting isn't particularly relevant to the story itself but some good local detail that you would probably enjoy.

Comment

the snazzy blue?!
                                                                                              of course

Comment

I went for the Poco X3 over the Nord. No 5G though.

Comment

BErtie Ahern on the radio just now

That would cost... "Billions and Skillions"

Absolute classic Bertieism

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                    BErtie Ahern on the radio just now

That would cost... "Billions and Skillions"

Absolute classic Bertieism
                                                                                                    Was he talking about public sector benchmarking?

Comment

I went for the Poco X3 over the Nord. No 5G though.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/o...xiaomi-poco-x3
                                                                                                      that looks a really good buy in fairness.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Comment

Strange for this site to be working better than gmail and youtube.
                                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

South Africa and Scotland probably an OK draw for the rugby WC?

Comment

What difference does it make? You'll be gone by the QFs regardless of the group

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

What difference does it make? You'll be gone by the QFs regardless of the group
                                                                                                                    Speaking of QFs, has the pain subsided from completely and utterly choking from an unassailable position last time?

Comment

Speaking of QFs, has the pain subsided from completely and utterly choking from an unassailable position last time?
                                                                                                                      horrible game. We also have the dubious honor of having played the most finals without winning any (we were robbed once but hey, who's counting!)

Comment

Looks like NZ or France in quarter-final though.
                                                                                                                        I think it's always better to be in a slightly tougher initial group but be paired with a softer group in the quarters.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

Morrissey's let himself go

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X