Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did that lad living in darkness for a month win his bet or not by the way?

Comment

Speaking of US presidents, these were the highlights of yesterday's US president speaking.

When you actually see his grasp of facts and reality (as presented by himself)....it's quite a sight.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        But as Armani points out, that would result in the bet winning as UK would indeed leave in March 2019.
        OK, but I can't imagine a scenario where enough people capitulate to pass her deal. We'll likely get to see if there is the means and the appetite for parliament stopping a no deal brexit though, and hie they might achieve that without accepting her deal.

Corbyn is still being a total space cadet over the while thing.

Comment

woah big jobs numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
            Do you use Medium much? I might have asked you this already. I have been subscribing to it for a couple of months and come across some good stuff on it but if anyone has any good people to recommend following or anything like that I would be obliged to hear about them.
            Just the odd thing from twitter, think Taleb is the only person I follow on it

Comment

Would Chairman Pirate-in-Chief Lao have a thought on this given his inestimable shipping knowledge? It does seem fairly impossible.

Wouldn't be my exact area of expertise, but it sounds like a redic short time frame to pull that off in. Even if they chartered the vessels rather than buying them, it seems very tight.

Only heard of Seabourne Freight last night on the news as details of their website gaffs emerged . After looking into them a bit more, the whole thing looks completely dodge

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

TRUMP! TRUMP! TRUMP!

Does seem like a weird enough time for markets to be collapsing though. 3.2% wage growth last year is pretty special for an economy the size of the US. Know markets are the reflection of the future not the present, but still...
                  We did have stock growth w/o wage growth for a long time,

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                    Did that lad living in darkness for a month win his bet or not by the way?
                    yes he did more or less. i think they settled up on 60k after 3 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      What is so terrible about Warren
                      Epitomises the naive, well-meaning hypocrite stereotype. Plays an important role as a senator but wouldn't be president material even if she wasn't up against Trump, who has already ruined her campaign with a single meme:

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        She won't win in the swing states. Too easy to paint her as an out of touch 'East coast liberal'.
                        If you live in a swing or red state it’s hardly painting her. She is an east coast liberal and thus massively unelectable.

Good choice for a vp for a tall man with a good head of hair and a military record.

Comment

ab-sa-fookin-lootly. As a naive outsider who once blindly followed your advice and bet on little marco - all my dosh will be on Beto. That man has the look and feel about him of a contender. He might not get a chance though. There's just no chance that Warren could win as nice as she is. Luckily the selection system is quite good at weeding out people who only play to certain audiences.
                          Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                          My liberal friends are already sharing articles about how not supporting Warren is sexism.
                          you run in weird circles Andy

Beto + Helicopter mom is my ideal ticket but not a chance of it
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

She won't win in the swing states. Too easy to paint her as an out of touch 'East coast liberal'.
                            Just like Trump then
                            Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                            She is an east coast liberal and thus massively unelectable.
                            Mediocre cookie cutter candidates haven't been working out very well for a long time now.
                            Its a debate that has to be had, do you fight fire with fire or find a very safe pair of hands, it must be one or the other IMO

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                            Epitomises the naive, well-meaning hypocrite stereotype.
                            What hypocrisy is that ?
                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

@RDIII I saw you wish to go to more theatre this year, I can highly recommend Phelim Drew in Joxer Daly Esq. which will be coming back for a show in March. I saw it last year and thought it was fantastic. It's a one man play about the character from Juno. Drew is magnificent, and it was great to hear the old Dublin accent you very rarely hear now.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                Going to Belfast on Sat, was hoping to fit in a visit to Deanes (seems to be called Epic now) for lunch or pre-threatre but that isn't available. Any recommendations?
                                OX or holohans, muddlers club, ginger bistro,stix and stones, mourne seafood company. Can vouch for all of those food standard wise.
                                Last edited by mocata; 04-01-19, 17:29.
                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                  I'm going to see Come From Away tomorrow. Anybody been?
                                  with a pretentious title like that they can fuck off back to yesterday

Lol just reread it and originally thought the title was "come from away tomorrow" which i thought was very pretentious.

to be fair "come from away" still sounds pretty pretentious...just not as much (either that or very Irish).
                                  Last edited by shrapnel; 04-01-19, 18:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                    Wouldn't be my exact area of expertise, but it sounds like a redic short time frame to pull that off in. Even if they chartered the vessels rather than buying them, it seems very tight.

Only heard of Seabourne Freight last night on the news as details of their website gaffs emerged . After looking into them a bit more, the whole thing looks completely dodge
                                    Allegedly they’ve been planning for 2 years so things may not be that bad. But the port they want to use will only take very narrow ships so tbh it’s probably a bust.
                                    The really sad thing is how much air time this is taking up while the whole place is going down the pan. 13 million potentially spent on a boat hire company if they deliver boats, meanwhile the economy is about to walk off a cliff.
                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                      @RDIII I saw you wish to go to more theatre this year, I can highly recommend Phelim Drew in Joxer Daly Esq. which will be coming back for a show in March. I saw it last year and thought it was fantastic. It's a one man play about the character from Juno. Drew is magnificent, and it was great to hear the old Dublin accent you very rarely hear now.

https://www.paviliontheatre.ie/event...joxer-daly-esq
                                      Got really confused for a moment when this sprung to mind first:

Comment

Kicking off again in AGS. Senior Garda management rotten to the core. Hopefully Drew and GSOC can sort them out.
                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

The Dems would want to be insane to run Warren. Or Sanders.
                                          Insane to run the most popular politician in the country (Sanders)?

Whatever about Warren perhaps not being in with a good chance, I can't think of a single republican who would have a shot against Sanders. Unless you think Scott Walker is nailed on again?

Comment

Jesus, Sanders wouldn't stand a chance

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                              Insane to run the most popular politician in the country (Sanders)?

Whatever about Warren perhaps not being in with a good chance, I can't think of a single republican who would have a shot against Sanders. Unless you think Scott Walker is nailed on again?
                                              Trump would beat Sanders. That's how bad a pick he would be.

Presidential elections aren't won in New York, California, Massachusetts or Vermont. All of which Sanders (or Warren) would win big. They're won in the swing states - Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan etc.
                                              East coast liberals don't play there at all - not since JFK.

Comment

Basically the Dems need a young-ish Southern pragmatist. Another Bill Clinton.

Comment

Also consider Warren trying to win support in:
                                                  1. Iowa
                                                  2. New Hampshire
                                                  3. Nevada
                                                  4. South Carolina

2 is really the only one she would be competitive in. She'd likely be out of it before Super Tuesday.

Comment

Presidential elections aren't won in New York, California, Massachusetts or Vermont. All of which Sanders (or Warren) would win big. They're won in the swing states - Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan etc.
                                                    Obama won every single one of these states in 2012. While not strictly from the east coast, he certainly played in every one of these states.
                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Also consider Warren trying to win support in:
                                                      1. Iowa
                                                      2. New Hampshire
                                                      3. Nevada
                                                      4. South Carolina

2 is really the only one she would be competitive in. She'd likely be out of it before Super Tuesday.
                                                      Warren wouldn’t do well in a primary if I had to guess. She doesn’t perform as well as she should even in Massachusetts. She also makes too many silly errors. The DNA test thing was a horror show of an idea
                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Obama won every single one of these states in 2012. While not strictly from the east coast, he certainly played in every one of these states.
                                                        Obama was riding a historical wave (and was up against a terrible GOP candidate in McCain - who self-sabotaged himself).

But you're kinda making my point again. The road to the White House goes directly through those states. Therefore you need to pick a candidate that can carry them. Warren can't.

Comment

Ideally they would like to win two of texas, florida, pennslyvania and ohio. If they could get Texas then its a massive advantage but can Beto beat out the others to get a shot at the election. He is good friends with the ginger kennedy so that should lock up votes in that part.

Comment

Comment

I was just in South Carolina and there's no way Warren could win there. Loads of younger people wearing college football jerseys with the Nike logo taped over, two guys wearing a party like W, dress like JFK, think like Reagan tshirt as well. We were in an uber talking about stacey abrams vs Beto and the driver was glaring at me the whole time.

Comment

Comment

Also I think the only way a woman gets elected in the current climate is if she succeeds a democrate male as his VP. Look at all the same tactics and reports coming out about Warren that came out about hillary, how the media is treating Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, wait to see what happens when Kamala starts launches her bid

Comment

Don't want to spoil for anyone but my understanding is that the phrase "Come from away" is how the locals describe visitors... Oh, they've come from away...
                                                                    Didn't want to post that earlier before you had been. We checked it out but haven't got around to booking anything yet. I did have a good lol at Shraps post because of how far off the mark it is.

How was the show? Worth seeing?

Comment

Sanders could definitely win those states. He would have beaten Trump in the last election, he'd beat him in the next one should he run.

Beto couldn't even beat Ted Cruz, one of the least likeable politicians in history.

Comment

I

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Obama was basically the mixed race jfk - young, handsome and charismatic. You can’t really expect the female Al Gore to repeat the same.

The people want easy to chant but impossible that back up slogans from tall men with quiffs not spreadsheets and lectures from women and nerds.

Has the last decade taught us nothing - I imagine has been the rumble since the dawn of democracy.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                            Also I think the only way a woman gets elected in the current climate is if she succeeds a democrate male as his VP. Look at all the same tactics and reports coming out about Warren that came out about hillary, how the media is treating Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, wait to see what happens when Kamala starts launches her bid
                                                                            fawning over her every move and utterance?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                              Kicking off again in AGS. Senior Garda management rotten to the core. Hopefully Drew and GSOC can sort them out.
                                                                              Looking forward to this scrap.
                                                                              Also notice Paul Williams disappeared from newstalk pretty abruptly recently, wonder what that’s about? (It can just have been about how awful he was or he would have been gone after a week)

Comment

Our internet situation in the new house has become painstaking at this stage.
                                                                                Currently, 4 homes are cordoned off on our row of 7 so OpenEir/FibreToTheHome apparently won't/can't install the infrastructure for our houses until all 7 are occupied.

It's obviously inconvenient especially given the mobile data signal is quite poor, we have tried some modems/dongles but they're pretty useless.

We could have TotalWireless installed but given we have no timeline whatsoever the installation cost and monthly contract may be a complete waste.
                                                                                I actually don't mind not having internet in the house for personal use but I have the option to work from home 1-2 days a week and given the Naas roadworks, it's annoying commuting unnecessarily.
                                                                                I'd be pretty happy if we were given a timeline but it's just not happening

Comment

'The female Al Gore'.

Ouch. Expect to see Trump tweeting that at some juncture.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                    Sanders could definitely win those states.
                                                                                    Except for the fact he couldn't carry 3 of the 5 in the primaries last time (hammered in Penn, FL, OH. Won WI well and took MI by a short head).

Plus the fact he's older than Strewel.

Comment

Until yesterday in Kildare I hadn't come across a Golden Red Pheasant in the flesh before. Amazing the resemblance to Trump. Thus ends my input to your politics conversation. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                        Until yesterday in Kildare I hadn't come across a Golden Red Pheasant in the flesh before. Amazing the resemblance to Trump. Thus ends my input to your politics conversation. Carry on.
                                                                                        Smarter too

was that down at at Kildare Farm Foods?
                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Down in Naas to put some manners on the Kildare yokels.

Keeping watchful eye out for sp lunatic type supporters.

Comment

With only nonsense soccer and rugby on over this weekend it's a perfect excuse to take an hour out to get an entry together for the 2019 Multi Sport Competition.

Entries close Thursday evening.

Testimonials.
                                                                                            AJ's comp is the best of all these kind of things we have done here.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                              Didn't want to post that earlier before you had been. We checked it out but haven't got around to booking anything yet. I did have a good lol at Shraps post because of how far off the mark it is.

How was the show? Worth seeing?
                                                                                              Seems spot on to me with the "very irish" comment then, now get away with ya.

Comment

Don't want to spoil for anyone but my understanding is that the phrase "Come from away" is how the locals describe visitors... Oh, they've come from away...
                                                                                                Reads like a Google translate from Irish to French then English. Culchies are strange folk.

Comment

Liverpool fans are a gift to the world.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                    Seems spot on to me with the "very irish" comment then, now get away with ya.
                                                                                                    Except it's a Canadian/American story

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                      With only nonsense soccer and rugby on over this weekend it's a perfect excuse to take an hour out to get an entry together for the 2019 Multi Sport Competition.

Entries close Thursday evening.

Testimonials.
                                                                                                      You forgot about the Lakeshite

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                        You forgot about the Lakeshite
                                                                                                        Starts too early in January sadly. Wouldn't give people enough time to get their selections in. Otherwise it'd be number 1 on the list.

Looking forward to your selections, seems the sort of thing you'd expect to win pulling up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                                          Reads like a Google translate from Irish to French then English. Culchies are strange folk.
                                                                                                          Lots of English is like this, what do you call something inverted? The up side is down. Upsidedown.

Comment

Bit of a random question but looking for some barstool advice;

Everything I have read or listened to in the last 6 months would indicate to me that trying to get into the property market at the moment would be the fishiest of fish plays.

Whats wrong with renting until things improve? I don't feel that it is dead money.

To put in context any property we but now would unlikely be our forever home but rather a base of operations for a few years

Comment

was that down at at Kildare Farm Foods?
                                                                                                              Good shout!

No golden pheasants to be found though.

Comment

Down in Naas to put some manners on the Kildare yokels.

Keeping watchful eye out for sp lunatic type supporters.
                                                                                                                Looking at houses?
                                                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post

Everything I have read or listened to in the last 6 months would indicate to me that trying to get into the property market at the moment would be the fishiest of fish plays.

Whats wrong with renting until things improve? I don't feel that it is dead money.

To put in context any property we but now would unlikely be our forever home but rather a base of operations for a few years
                                                                                                                  Flexibility has a serious value. Just not appreciated by 20:20 hindsight merchants.

What’s your rush given your life situation? And do you want to be a landlord of some two bed apartment/townhouse in the future when living in your forever home. Answer those questions and then take a view on prices/value etc.

Comment

The choice between buying a home and renting one is among the biggest financial decisions that many adults make.

I'm not sure how the price of house issue will change in the forseeable future, just literally not enough houses and no plans for the other solution, better commuting infrastructure. Needs Trump to crash the world economy for it to happen, so on that basis yes it is better to wait. Heh.

I was thinking of buying an apartment or house but like you would maybe only want it for a few years as well and I'm not sure that's the best thing over the added flexibility of renting (and lack of effort) if it's just that amount of time. If renting longterm, take into account investing the different in repayments if the mortgage repayments would be more.

I've heard a lot of ridiculous statements: 'I'm sure we'll find parking.' 'I'll just check Facebook for five minutes.' 'I'll skip dessert.' But perhaps the most absurd is the adage: 'If you're a renter, you're throwing money away.' Bulls**t. You've heard those statements, right? 'I'm sick of throwing money away on rent.' 'Buying is always better than renting.' 'Your home is your biggest investment.' I'm going to explain why these clichés are ludicrous. Preposterous. Outlandish. Nonsensical. (Somebody please take the thesaurus away from me.) Let's chat about the 'should I rent or buy?' question using logic, math and reason, rather
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 05-01-19, 15:19.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                      Starts too early in January sadly. Wouldn't give people enough time to get their selections in. Otherwise it'd be number 1 on the list.

Looking forward to your selections, seems the sort of thing you'd expect to win pulling up.
                                                                                                                      I meant this weekend's sport

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                                        Looking at houses?
                                                                                                                        Umpiring a thrilling 3-3 draw. Naas crowd all delightful gentlemen.

So polite and welcoming you would nearly swear they were Dubs.

Comment

Given your future earnings potential plus the likelihood you will want to move around quite a bit while you hone your skillz, renting would seem a no-brainer for you.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X