Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    And if you had to be born in China or India today where would you choose to be born?

For the purpose of answering this question, please assume that you will grow up indifferent to cricket.
    India does have an amazing collection of mustaches

Comment

And if you had to be born in China or India today where would you choose to be born?

For the purpose of answering this question, please assume that you will grow up indifferent to cricket.
      India. For all its faults, it's making a reasonably good fist of democracy.

As an Indian, it's relatively unlikely that my government will decide to torture, murder or otherwise oppress me.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

heh. China hasn't been communist for a few decades at this stage.

But yes they do value collectivist ideals. That doesn't preclude democracy in any way. To my mind they're smart enough as a nation to know the time when they need open competition for political ranks. Although maybe that won't be the case, and they'll continue down their own route. But even then its very likely to be some variant of the Singaporean way of running things, which seems very much like a democracy to me.

So its not naive to think they'll become a democracy. But take care of your leg is the main thing. Ouch.
        Singapore isn't much of a democracy. Unless you think having the same party (and family) ruling uninterrupted for 60 years qualifies.

Think Ireland with 70 years of constant FF rule and every Taoiseach called de Valera.

Comment

Next Hitch will be proclaiming the amazing democratic structures of Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

As an Indian, it's relatively unlikely that my government will decide to torture, murder or otherwise oppress me.
            As a Hindu man, probably not, but as their increasingly nationalistic state governments swing further rightward in the near future things may change.
            Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Singapore isn't much of a democracy. Unless you think having the same party (and family) ruling uninterrupted for 60 years qualifies.

Think Ireland with 70 years of constant FF rule and every Taoiseach called de Valera.
              Ray Dalio refers to the great leadership of Lee Kuan Yew in his "autobiography", I don't know much about the situation but as far as dictators go he seems to have done a pretty decent job.

He basically moved them from a 3rd world country into a 1st world country. Obviously it's not all down to him but it's hard to imagine another political system could have achieved as much in 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                I assume we're all fairly on board with calling America a malevolent democracy for comparison with the malevolent dictatorship of China?
                I think you have to separate the government, particularly the executive, from the institutions there Keano.

So to apply the appropriate nuance missing from your post, Trump might be a malevolent actor but America is not a malevolent democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                  As a Hindu man, probably not, but as their increasingly nationalistic state governments swing further rightward in the near future things may change.
                  Well beats living in the aftermath of the one child/no girls policy which I imagine is going to create millions of 40 year old virgins over the coming decades.

Comment

I think you have to separate the government, particularly the executive, from the institutions there Keano.

So to apply the appropriate nuance missing from your post, Trump might be a malevolent actor but America is not a malevolent democracy.
                    Probably depends which part of Central America you live in.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                      Ray Dalio refers to the great leadership of Lee Kuan Yew in his "autobiography", I don't know much about the situation but as far as dictators go he seems to have done a pretty decent job.

He basically moved them from a 3rd world country into a 1st world country. Obviously it's not all down to him but it's hard to imagine another political system could have achieved as much in 30 years.
                      Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Comment

having a quick browse through the live tournament forum and was reminded of the proposed tournament where 20k people were going to bring their laptops to play in Wembley arena.

Golden days.
                        Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Mussolini made the trains run on time.
                          Say what you want about CJ and Bertie but the roads in Ireland are great, they fixed that roads, well my road anyway.

Comment

...Came to Reykjavik on New year's day for 4 nights, booked it 10 days before I came as didn't fancy starting the New year in work...I think this is gonna be a yearly plan to start the year abroad...It's a lovely place here, but holy shite It is expensive...Also, the Northern lights tour is a scam!, will rant about this when I'm home...

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Next Hitch will be proclaiming the amazing democratic structures of Russia.
                                Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

To be honest, I dont think I personally know a person more likely to be kompromat-ed
                                Still true today
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Greggs doing a solid PR job on this

The next generation of sausage roll technology, introducing the Greggs Vegan Sausage Roll.Features include;Pastry layers: 96Flake resolution: optimalLength: ...

Sassy:

They sent their sausage roll out to newspapers in iphone style boxes with the sausage roll specs on it:

This is also great, Luas hacked, they had their IT guy on TV saying they could not confirm it was hacked:

Comment

Comment

Infant mortality is what drives those averages. Once you get over that hurdle you can expect to grow a lovely big grey moustache.
                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

And yet despite all the lack of murdering you'll still die ten years younger in India at the grand old age of 64 on average.
                                          Reincarnation baby!

Gonna live for ever, many times.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                            Say what you want about CJ and Bertie but the roads in Ireland are great, they fixed that roads, well my road anyway.
                                            You asked for it

THE, SAVAGE, EYE, SERIES, 'POLITICS', 'DAVID, MCSAVAGE', 'RTE', 'COMEDY', 'SKETCH'

Comment

That's a bit off IMO, more elections does not a democracy make.

There is an argument that through the way the party works and how decision making operates at a local level that China operates well as a democracy up to provincial levels.

Those trapped by the caste system and the majority of women live their short and impoverished lives in deep oppression.
                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Yep. Raoul is on a weird one. Democracy is not always the best system at each point in time in a country. It has destroyed India for example as they can't do a fcking thing. Singapore is decently democratic now.
                                                'Decently democratic' in a 'politics is a monopoly, controlled by a single family' kind of way?

Singapore isn't really a country anyway.

Comment

Comment

Paxman has Michael Howard the former home secretary as a team capitan on Christmas University challenge
                                                    Would be class if he asked a question:

"Did you threaten to overrule him?"

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Those trapped by the caste system and the majority of women live their short and impoverished lives in deep oppression.
                                                      But indian food tho

Comment

How did we get from China not being a democracy and probably not going to be one in the very distant future to whether you'd want to be born in China or India?

Nobody in their right mind would want to be born in either country.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                              How did we get from China not being a democracy and probably not going to be one in the very distant future to whether you'd want to be born in China or India?

Nobody in their right mind would want to be born in either country.
                                                              I can give you worse choices.

Comment

Narrator: When every last shred of dignity and final braincells were deserting him, his meme game still remained like a lightning dagger.

lol, that is good in fairness.
                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

That was a cracking game of football.

Comment

I can give you worse choices.
                                                                    Absolutely worse places to live than China or India.

I just don't know how we got there

"China will be a democracy real soon"

"No it won't"

"Yeah, well, would you rather be born there or India?"

[emoji848][emoji848]

Comment

Probably the best way to go

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                        Absolutely worse places to live than China or India.

I just don't know how we got there

"China will be a democracy real soon"

"No it won't"

"Yeah, well, would you rather be born there or India?"

[emoji848][emoji848]
                                                                        You need to speak to my colleague, Professor Hiker.

Comment

Narrator: When every last shred of dignity and final braincells were deserting him, his meme game still remained like a lightning dagger.

The Dems would want to be insane to run Warren. Or Sanders.

Comment

Chairman Lao. Lol WP HH .

Comment

...

Comment

ab-sa-fookin-lootly. As a naive outsider who once blindly followed your advice and bet on little marco - all my dosh will be on Beto. That man has the look and feel about him of a contender. He might not get a chance though. There's just no chance that Warren could win as nice as she is. Luckily the selection system is quite good at weeding out people who only play to certain audiences.
                                                                                My liberal friends are already sharing articles about how not supporting Warren is sexism.
                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Just got back to dallas after 5 days in savannah and charleston. Savannah was an incredible place, open container policy so walking around town with a G&T visiting museums at 9am

Comment

...

Comment

Watched the last of the Mohicans (1992ish movie)

I never took to Daniel Day Lewis as Hawkeye (too puny) . Great movie though and the end scene was perfect. I remember reading this as a kid. Has anyone read all of the Leatherstocking tales by J F Cooper. Rate ? Was thinking of giving the other 4 books a read for 2019 ( Hawkeye - nostalgia reasons)

Comment

Is it too old fashioned to stick in an RIP now? The guy died last Wednesday

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

6 days left to get your entry in for the 2019 Multi Sport Competition.
                                                                                          Test your skill in picking winners of 40 events from the top soccer and rugby events down to novelty sports like wrestling and horse-racing.

Testimonials.
                                                                                          Originally posted by Chairman Lao View Post
                                                                                          For anybody who didn't play this in 2018, you really should get involved in 2019.
                                                                                          It's by far the best sports competition I've played. It gives you a good interest in a lot of different sports that you probably wouldn't have any interest in, all in a good way.
                                                                                          You get a full years sweat out of it!

Comment

He did a really good podcast with bill simmons a few months ago, well worth checking out

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                              He did a really good podcast with bill simmons a few months ago, well worth checking out
                                                                                              His podcasts are top class. Although I like The Ringer, I miss Grantland, it's a pity it's gone.

Comment

...

Comment

Didn't know he was dead, and never knew Al Brooks was his brother

Comment

Going to Belfast on Sat, was hoping to fit in a visit to Deanes (seems to be called Epic now) for lunch or pre-threatre but that isn't available. Any recommendations?

Comment

The Dems would want to be insane to run Warren. Or Sanders.
                                                                                                      Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                      My liberal friends are already sharing articles about how not supporting Warren is sexism.
                                                                                                      ab-sa-fookin-lootly. As a naive outsider who once blindly followed your advice and bet on little marco - all my dosh will be on Beto. That man has the look and feel about him of a contender. He might not get a chance though. There's just no chance that Warren could win as nice as she is. Luckily the selection system is quite good at weeding out people who only play to certain audiences.
                                                                                                      What is so terrible about Warren

Comment

Got a new phone from work today and it's the first that hasn't had a headphone port, sad times. Comes with a usb-c adapter that looks silly. I use wireless mostly and still don't like it.

On the plus side the Huawei P20 seems pretty great. Must test out this "use AI to understand the subject of your photo in real time"
                                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 04-01-19, 11:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                          And again

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                                              His podcasts are top class. Although I like The Ringer, I miss Grantland, it's a pity it's gone.
                                                                                                              I like the BS Podcast too.

Always wrecks my head the way he kisses the hole of everyone that comes on though.
                                                                                                              And Sal licks his hole too.

Strange for a man who made his name disagreeing with people to agree with every point of every guest he has on.

Comment

...

Comment

The 7/5 available on UK leaving EU in March 2019 seems like a bargain. MPs have just no option except to capitulate in the Jan 15th vote. Delaying seems pointless as EU just isn't going to reopen negotiations.

Labour Blairites led by Starmer are committed to only accepting a deal which passes their '6 tests', so they have to Vote No.
                                                                                                                  Corbynistas have agreed to go along with Starmer on this, so have to vote No also.
                                                                                                                  So there is still only around 5 votes (Hoey, Field etc) for May in Labour.

On the government side, David Davis and his cohorts are still sticking to 'the EU will capitulate, hold your nerve' line. Johnson, Raab and McVey resigned because of this deal (or Chequers) so can hardly vote for it now. So many other Tories have said it's a terrible deal that it would be very humbling to suddenly vote Yes.
                                                                                                                  On the not-quite-government side, the DUP still seem to intend to vote against.

Her deal still looks doomed, and I doubt the vote will go-ahead on the 15th Jan.
                                                                                                                  Though ironically your 7/5 bet may still come up just because they are too bloody minded to avoid a crash out.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                    Do you use Medium much? I might have asked you this already. I have been subscribing to it for a couple of months and come across some good stuff on it but if anyone has any good people to recommend following or anything like that I would be obliged to hear about them.

Comment

Hitch is overlooking the significant number of Tory MPs who actually want a no deal brexit.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                          What is so terrible about Warren
                                                                                                                          She won't win in the swing states. Too easy to paint her as an out of touch 'East coast liberal'.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X