Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    They've so many problems, as can be seen by nearly every city in Europe not using them.

Bendy buses, to use the Boris moniker, are much better for access for everyone. Loads of space for wheelchairs and buggies and ease of access for the elderly.

They have better suspension, so you don't have that horrible rickety sensation of double-deckers at the top.

Way easier to let people on and off so they have quicker stop-and-restart times at bus stops.

Much more widely manufactured so they are cheaper as a result - e.g. theres more cheap electric options.

Plus double-deckers have no actual advantages over bendy buses. Nothing.
    This is actually a serious question

Does the extra length not cause more traffic congestion?

Comment

Bus wankers.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
          What was that song Lazare used to sing about Mickste?
          Mickste it's me your Cathy oh come home now?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
              "Believe in the double decker!"
              +20
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

You should be ashamed of yourself.

"Today, the majority of buses running in Hong Kong are double-decker buses, and all of them are air-conditioned. Also, Hong Kong has a double-deck trams system, one of three only in the world as of 2015 and the only fleet which is all double-deck."

I was in Chile last year, and every bus I got was a double decker bus. QED

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                    "Believe in the double decker!"
                    Damn right!

Leeds comedian Charlie Chuck advertising Cadburys Double Decker. Script is based on one of his live routines, normally set in a bakery and not a sweet shop.

Comment

Comment

I purposefully left out Hong Kong as a cunning trap - A-ha!

Double-deckers were introduced by the Brits to Hong Kong precisely to engender a feeling of closeness to London. More details on Hong Kong development here.

Double-deckers are a British disease.
                        Who brought them to Chile then?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Is this what we're down to? Relying on Chile?
                              Does China count, or is that too provincial?

Besides Guilin and Nanning, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Tianjin, Hangzhou, Wuhan, Dalian, Foshan and Kunming also have those buses in service, particularly on routes during rush hours.

Comment

Comment

Also that doesn't seem to be a double-decker bus, but rather a bus with only an upper deck.
                                  No its a double decker, I know because I slept on the bottom.

From how much bus tickets cost, to what to expect on board and what type of seat to book, here's the definitive guide to buses in Chile.

" Buses in Chile are generally high quality modes of transport. The main companies you’ll see are Pullman and Turbus but depending on the destination you’ll encounter the likes of JAC, Jet Sur, Nilahue, Cruz Del Sur, Gama Bus and more.

The buses in Chile are what we would describe as coaches in the UK, and many are double decker."

Comment

Comment

Comment

Friday before a bank holiday weekend really do drag in work... looking forward to sitting out the back garden later, wonder just how well i'll be able to hear Kodaline in St Annes park...
                                        I'm far enough away that I wont have any young ones puking or sh!tting in my front garden, but I think still close enough to get a decent listen.
                                        Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

The long distance buses in SA aren't really comparable to city double-deckers.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                              You know he's looking at all the females and thinking

Comment

Leave double deckers alone
                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

They're fans of each other...

Love this guys earlier work

Comment

The trains in Sydney are double deckers. The buses aren't.
                                                      Ireland needs to up its train game before we start overhauling bus fleets.

Comment

/thread

Comment

Bus Wankers the lot of ye

Comment

Is this what we're down to? Relying on Chile?
                                                            Maybe that's what is attracting Mocata?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                              this day 6 years ago RDIII and I set sail for Epsom. One hell of a day that started with a 6am trek to the airport and ended with a 6am finish in the sporting emporium after a monster cash session. A lot of drink was consumed and a lot of fun was had.
                                                              That was some day. I even took the dog for a walk the night before with a twenty in my pocket and came home with a grand.

Highlights were ordering gin with breakfast, the waitress wondering did we want tonic with that: "of course, do we look like alcoholics?". Cleaning an uppity bookie out of his supply of Euros. Eating a fine platter of seafood in Gatwick and (I think) introducing GAB to oysters. Sweating like French rapists in our suits on a sweltering day. GAB falling asleep in every hand in the Aquarium, yet still managing to be awake enough to clean out several geniuses. Poor V trying to chaperone us.

Today I went to Ikea, built some furniture and saw Kodaline doing their warm-up in St Annes. Whiny wank-pop.
                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

In work earlier talking to somebody on the phone (landline) when my Dad rings my mobile. I can't get the other person off the phone so call the aul lad back a few minutes later. Conversation goes like this

Me : Howya, everything ok?
                                                                Dad : Yeah, grand, I was just ringing you to get your mobile number off you
                                                                Me : You rang me on my mobile?!?!?
                                                                Dad : I know yeah but your number is in the phone, I don't have it
                                                                Me : *In my head* sweet mother of Jebus
                                                                Me : ok, yeah, no problem, it's.....

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                                                  Friday before a bank holiday weekend really do drag in work... looking forward to sitting out the back garden later, wonder just how well i'll be able to hear Kodaline in St Annes park...
                                                                  I'm far enough away that I wont have any young ones puking or sh!tting in my front garden, but I think still close enough to get a decent listen.
                                                                  It's a 72 second journey for us. Quite a few walking past the front garden earlier.

Can't hear anything yet.
                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Calgary has been smothered by wildfire smoke from the north. Its pretty suffocating. Like the end of the world out there.

Early start to all this malarky this year too which does not bode well for the summer.

Still playing 72 holes this weekend mind.
                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                      Calgary has been smothered by wildfire smoke from the north. Its pretty suffocating. Like the end of the world out there.

Early start to all this malarky this year too which does not bode well for the summer.

Still playing 72 holes this weekend mind.
                                                                      Any Raptor buzz there? Went to so many games in the late 90s and early 2000s, even before they had a stadium but haven't followed in a while. Happy to see em finally get there.

Comment

This tweet has taken over my life for the last few hours, why is it so familiar to so many people yet nobody can figure it out?

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                          This tweet has taken over my life for the last few hours, why is it so familiar to so many people yet nobody can figure it out?

Looks like the Saved by the bell intro

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley Harms View Post
                                                                            Looks like the Saved by the bell intro
                                                                            That's suggested most, it's not though.

I'm thinking a black British female from the 80s but can't find it in my brain

Comment

That's suggested most, it's not though.

I'm thinking a black British female from the 80s but can't find it in my brain
                                                                              I thought it was Belinda Carlisle or the B52’s but it’s not and GFYL
                                                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Might be bus seat upholstery from the 80's

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                  Ha! Thought you were right there, but alas, no.

Bet it's something like that and everyone is thrown thinking of album covers.

Comment

Definitely twigs something for me that it was a school book cover from late 80's or early 90's.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

ah what about that English poetry school book? It is crazily familiar, but what...!
                                                                                          Was leaning towards Irish subject in secondary myself. But my googlefu is letting me down at the moment

Comment

...

Comment

Fuck sake..Friday ruined by this...Its so familiar.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                                                                                                Was leaning towards Irish subject in secondary myself. But my googlefu is letting me down at the moment
                                                                                                Actually Junior Cert French comes to mind now. No idea what the book was though.

Comment

Finishing a paper on Islamic finance today, a subject which, unlike double-decker buses, I know very little about. One thing that came up was the concept of zakat - charitable giving. It is the idea that every Muslim person must give 1/40th of their disposable wealth to charity, normally during ramadan.

Seemed extraordinarily generous, so was asking a buddy at work from Pakistan about whether it was really a thing.

He was saying that yep, absolutely everyone does this. So I was asking exactly how it works and he goes well you just add up your wealth take out 1/40th of it and then you identify someone in your wider social circle who needs help and send it off to them. This year his money went to someone very poor who helps out in his mosque back in Pakistan whose daughter is hoping to get married this year. So his whole family chose this person as who they were giving to. Its the same across all the Muslim-majority countries.

Social-network-charitable-giving. What a lovely idea. Those folks have a few things worked out, even if theres other things left to work on.
                                                                                                  If there's one thing that stuck with me from fixed income it's the idea of Sukuks.

The lecturer, French guy actually was a huge fan of this. None have ever defaulted apparently and have been sold very quickly in the UK. 5 or 6 banks in the UK are Shariah Law compliant, crazy how much has gone in to make them a feasible vehicle.

He spoke of plans to make the UK the hub of Islamic finance in the Western world which makes sense tbf

Comment

It is the idea that every Muslim person must give 1/40th of their disposable wealth to charity, normally during ramadan.

.
                                                                                                    Think it was more like 10% with the Hare Krishnas Though by 'charity' They'd mean the organisation.. Remember the head honcho in Dublin, Trabunava Das, used to head over to the mainland to drum up finances from people with money.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Was that Thomas Segot who taught you?
                                                                                                            Francois Aubert was the guy, maybe he was Swiss, I thought he was French though, nice guy tbf.

Fundamentally it's the idea of not seeking a return on your loan/investment via an interest rate from what I recall so you have to manipulate the rules of normal financial arrangements to make them Sharia compliant.

As you say morally sound but seems to add a chunk of unnecessary details but perhaps that is decent trade off.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                              Thinking it might be the seat back design from early nineties Dublin busses.

Has to be something like that for it not to be googleable yet so familiar.

Comment

It's not a Stray Cats album is it?
                                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                  I love when a politician gets really angry at not being elected, in a 'I did so much for them, the shower of bastards', Henry Sellersesque way.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-38165998.html

They knocked at my door on the champions league semi final night, the night liverpool did what they did, one of the "men" canvasing on his behalf asked me if i wanted a word with cian lynches father, he was next door chatting to a neignbour....FF says i ? your grand...
                                                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

It's generic printing printing. I had some kind of fil o fax or sticker book, with that kinda thing with it on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                      It's not a Stray Cats album is it?
                                                                                                                      I had it as an 80's synth pop/funk piece that was everywhere

Went looking for it, came across ones that sound like it and now the tune is gone

GFYSL

Comment

It's from Saved By the Bell

Comment

It doesn't strike me as being hugely familiar but for some reason I had the thought of the plastic card holder for USI card or maybe more likely the holder for the travel card you had for Dublin Bus as a student.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X