Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The funny part about reading that last 20 + posts is how much this place has changed. 95% plus of members probably don’t know what a pension is and have no interest. This place was built on the back of degenerate gamblers with no foresight and the fact the place is over run with these type of posts is more down to lads having no credit till next pay day or overdue on their broadband bill so can’t get online. Some lads have passed out at the mention of €1m pension at 50 and a ‘modest’ pot of €200k.

It’s like the twilight zone in here for the last hour. Spacers the lot of you.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley Harms View Post
        The funny part about reading that last 20 + posts is how much this place has changed. 95% plus of members probably don’t know what a pension is and have no interest. This place was built on the back of degenerate gamblers with no foresight and the fact the place is over run with these type of posts is more down to lads having no credit till next pay day or overdue on their broadband bill so can’t get online. Some lads have passed out at the mention of €1m pension at 50 and a ‘modest’ pot of €200k.

It’s like the twilight zone in here for the last hour. Spacers the lot of you.
        How are things man?
        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
          It's not going to be binding but if she was to ignore a clear majority for say Norway+ or a referendum it would bring on a constitutional crisis on a whole new level altogether, it would certainly lead to a GE but that cannot happen before 12/4.

That kind of scenario whe remains one of the clearer routes to no deal. Then to avoid that would need something like parliament putting together an emergency government representing their majority to go to Europe, agreeing to Euro elections, and asking for a long delay. Hilariously many of those type of scenarios could see May staying in the office and carrying out the official part of the role of PM against her will.

It all hangs on how well parliament can organise the voting tomorrow.
          If they can agree, and as far as I can see it is possible to, a vote that allows all the options to be put on a ballot where everyone can vote for whatever option they would vote for in some circumstances, i.e. A Labour leaver might tick Norway + and a referendum but not May's deal and the DUP and ERG can tick 'No Surrender' to everything on the menu. The idea being that through a series of votes like that they work out what if any options that could get a majority.
          If they can't work out a majority for anything then back to May's deal.
          You seriously overestimate their capacity to do anything logical I'm afraid. The fear of 'worse' might eventually prompt enough to vote for May's deal if another vote is held, but I doubt thee outcome of this votes process will be the UK collectively deciding that another referendum would be a fine idea.

Norway, Iceland and lichtenstein don't want the UK part of their club either, so deciding they want the Norway option (which they wont) is hardly likely either.

Comment

Hitch, I love your drunken posts as much as I worry for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
              Hitch, I love your drunken posts as much as I worry for you.
              that was a pretty positive one?

he got to drink free booze, including primo vino, ate Michelin dessert for free and was nice to a sad guy! Nobody died...sounds like a great night out tbf
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                IHe starts by opening a bottle listed on the menu at €1,200 (yes, we looked it up) - I forget it's name as it was all mouthwash at this stage, but very very pleasant mouthwash. The guy is in bits as are we all. We had about four bottles of wine. One weird note was that everytime I went to pour he started giving me instructions on how to pour properly. It was rather involved (PM for details), and he was manic about it. .
                this is the bit I am curious about

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                      Btw I know I asked before but does anyone on here use a Virtual Assistant that you'd recommend.

I'm making up a list of what a VA could do for me and about 5 hours a week of someone getting mundane stuff done for me would be a game changer...the only question is would I outsource researching shit. I just love that too much!!
                      Now you've started me. Off the top of my head are the following things...

Time recording (I spend an hour a week on this)
                      Expenses recovery (15 minutes a week)
                      Billing clients (1 hour a week)
                      Ordering shit and chasing people to get household tasks done (30 minutes a week)
                      Ordering presents and following up with people (30 minutes a week)
                      Managing my diary. Back and forth with scheduling meetings etc. (1 hour a week).
                      Managing trips abroad and booking shit etc. (30 minutes a week)

Tbh it's probably more as I have to carry all this to do shit in my head and end up circling back to stuff unnecessarily. I'd probably lose an hour sending instructions to the VA but I think I'd gain a net 4 hours from week one and probably more over time.

Some of this is work related and some is personal stuff but I don't have a PA in work, all I have is junior staff who I can't ask to do this kind of thing. If I could get a VA for say €30p/h and expense it then I get 4 valuable waking hours of my time "released" per week. I charge 400p/h to clients so I think it's worth it even if I only do 30 minutes more billable work as a result.
                      I had a really good one for last two years. She helped with loads of things. I paid her through upwork. Rosiel was great and would highly recommend her. I have kept in touch with her and can easily pass on details.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        that was a pretty positive one?

he got to drink free booze, including primo vino, ate Michelin dessert for free and was nice to a sad guy! Nobody died...sounds like a great night out tbf
                        Ah I missed a vital point that explains the wine. He had just that night signed a deal to sell his restaurant. So was in mourning a bit. Plus the wine was no longer his in essence.
                        So breaking and entering with a touch of larceny.
                        That's more like it
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Man he was obsessed about this! How to pour exactly right. I was a sommelier for two years in the past and still couldn't get up to his standards. Was about the exact angle on the bottle (he doesn't particularly agree with carafing, or at least it didn't suit his wines, I couldn't be sure). And also then the 'ching' on the glasses. There had to be the right amount in each glass then when they chinged together it made a sound that was pleasing to him.

He wasn't as autistic as I'm making him out to be. Just for wine pouring!
                          did you tell him if he won the Aintree Tipping Comp, that he could buy many fine wines of splendiforous quality?

Comment

Barr sending the report to the white House for redactions before the public can see it, lol.
                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 26-03-19, 21:21.

Comment

The Brexit action in parliament tomorrow is going to be fun. What do you do if you're May and parliament votes for a BRINO? What do you do if you're Boris? The DUP?

Glorious.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                The Brexit action in parliament tomorrow is going to be fun. What do you do if you're May and parliament votes for a BRINO? What do you do if you're Boris? The DUP?

Glorious.
                                It'll resolve the square root of fuck all is my considered opinion, whether that'd because they don't really vote positively for anything much at all, or they vote for unattainable things,or just vague things.

Comment

God bless the EU and their new copyright laws
                                  Hard luck freeloading vampires both corporate (google, Facebook et al) and private(all the cunts lumping uplift wedges into their pensions herewho won’t pay a few quid for someone else’s creative blood sweat and tears.you people are the reason there’s never anything but superhero rubbish on in my local cinema).

Might be the best thing EU have ever done, all the YouTube influencer cunts were against it, so you know it’s a winner

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                    God bless the EU and their new copyright laws
                                    Hard luck freeloading vampires both corporate (google, Facebook et al) and private(all the cunts lumping uplift wedges into their pensions herewho won’t pay a few quid for someone else’s creative blood sweat and tears.you people are the reason there’s never anything but superhero rubbish on in my local cinema).

Might be the best thing EU have ever done, all the YouTube influencer cunts were against it, so you know it’s a winner
                                    You seriously need to go out and get laid. Release some of that pent up tension.

Comment

Ordering presents and following up with people (30 minutes a week)
                                      What's this V?
                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                        You seriously need to go out and get laid. Release some of that pent up tension.
                                        Would you torrent a carafe of wine?

Comment

Seriously though I think it’s great stuff from the EU. Google, Facebook ar all have benefited hugely and done serious damage to proper journalism by their thieving of other people’s content while people just shrug and say “well that’s the internet “. My post was a positive endorsement of the EUs stance against this thieving
                                          Last edited by Guest; 27-03-19, 05:54.

Comment

Would you torrent a carafe of wine?
                                            No, because that's not possible and even if, in some future Star Trek utopian world it was, I couldn't see myself doing it. I do buy good quality wine though, whereby the wine maker gets a reasonable cut out of it so he can make a decent living.

Also, just so you know (not that you've asked) I've never torrented (is that even a word?) anything.

I don't download movies, music, sport or books, never have.

I still physically buy newspapers and books. No kindle or downloading here, there is just something about the feel of a paper and a book that I never want to lose.

I still buy music, regularly in record stores picking up pieces and I have a premium Spotify account that I pay for. I get to as many lives gigs as I possibly can and I gain entrance to these gigs using tickets bought with real life money.

I pay my monthly dues to Virgin Media for all my TV needs (I actually pay twice, once for my house where my Dad lives free of charge and once where me and the missus lives) All sport not shown on there is watched in the pub where I purchase their cold beverages in exchange for a stool and a good view.

Also, there is loads of non super hero rubbish in my local cinema's. Both the IFI and The Lighthouse have extremely good content in the non super hero genre which I pay to go see as much as I can.

But yet I do have a pension.

How on earth do we square this cirrcle?!?!?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao;1094924

I [B
                                              pay my monthly dues to Virgin Media[/B] for all my TV needs (I actually pay twice, once for my house where my Dad lives free of charge and once where me and the missus lives) All sport not shown on there is watched in the pub where I purchase their cold beverages in exchange for a stool and a good view.

How on earth do we square this cirrcle?!?!?!?!?

HI
                                              Her sky-ness
                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Seriously though I think it’s great stuff from the EU. Google, Facebook ar all have benefited hugely and done serious damage to proper journalism by their thieving of other people’s content while people just shrug and say “well that’s the internet “. My post was a positive endorsement of the EUs stance against this thieving

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                  How are things man?
                                                  😀 I’m good Steve how are you pal

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                    Time recording and billing could be done via your phone, I have mine set up with a geo-fence around clients, so when I arrive/leave it feeds a google spreadsheet via IFTTT. That then tallies up what hours I spent where and spits that into another spreadsheet for each client, which then gets sent via PDF when it comes invoice time. They are all in a folder then that gets zipped and sent to accountant at year end. There is a button I can hit as well on phone for offsite work to start and stop the clock on the spreadsheet, but I have to click on which customer that is allocated to afterwards.

Have virtually all expenses last few years going onto my Amex to earn the points, so it same for that, all email receipts get auto forwarded to another folder on google drive. Have accountant haggled down to feck all in fees as it is a penalty kick for him for him to do the books.

Are you using specific apps for this?

Comment

https://ifttt.com/applets/XnveYFDL-l...-a-spreadsheet

https://ifttt.com/applets/NAMgXbLj-p...m=track%20work

Those are the Start/Stop & location widgets, I got an Excel nerd to put the logic into the google spreadsheet to do the outputting of the invoices.
                                                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

People in the pensions industry actually rarely retire early compared to other jobs in my experience. It's because being a bit older in this game is a major positive and it's not that terribly taxing if I'm honest. I'm in the business 20 years and it's the same old faces getting older...In the investment industry it's probably tougher as you get older and hungry fuckers are looking for your job but in this niche things are a bit more sedate and grey hair and middle age spread are all plus points!

Plus there are loads of opportunities to scale back in your work and semi retire. For example I could decide I no longer fancy running our investment area and having demanding corporate clients so I could pick up a 3 day week gig advising rich folk where life is more leisurely and sedate. Or I could pick up a gig as a professional Trustee which might be a 2 day a week commitment on average across a number of pension schemes.

My plan has always been to be in a position to suffer no lifestyle reduction from some point in my 50's such that if I got the bullet or was fucked up of the whole thing I could completely walk away.

Iago is the poster boy for FIRE around here but I don't want to scale back the way he's done or move to Malta or Spain (the European equivalent of moving to the mid west). Maybe in my later years I will and money will go ever further but it's not the goal at the minute.

Getting the balance right is the trickiest part of the whole thing.

I have a friend who's husband is 50 and she's ~42. He has €1m in his pension pot (and accessible from age 50 once he retires). They have a PPR and an investment property. Probably have equity of ~600k across both. She has a modest pension pot of ~200k and they live very normal regular lifestyles...plus they'll probably get some decent inheritances down the line.

I can't believe that they still work 9-6. They have kids aged 8 and 3 and are working for something to do really...
                                                        It's been tough to be honest.

Barely managed to move country, buy a place, get to New Orleans on vacation, attend the Copa Libertadores Final and pick up season tickets for Valencia this year.

My sacrifice knows no bounds
                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Finally! Now to put the feet up and lock the door and start behaving like a public sector employee.

Comment

If there is another brexit referendum the remainers need to sign up Ian Poulter as the face of their campaign, great advert for what Europe can do for an also-ran

Comment

AIB free account finally ran out, feels weird to have to pay for it now. What's everyone else do? Use N26?

Comment

Anyone have any recommendations for best area to stay in provence to see the lavender fields end of June?

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                  Anyone have any recommendations for best area to stay in provence to see the lavender fields end of June?
                                                                  St Remy de Provence (one option amongst many)

Comment

If anyone publishes a snippet of an article here (or worse again, a full article), make sure to report it. I don't want to get sued under these new rules and ruined because I don't have measures in place to prevent it before it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                      AIB free account finally ran out, feels weird to have to pay for it now. What's everyone else do? Use N26?
                                                                      Get a mortgage and they'll give you free banking

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley Harms View Post
                                                                        😀 I’m good Steve how are you pal
                                                                        Good man! Hows all in Wexico? I assume its going well. Rememeber that Casino in the hotel in the middle of nowhere? What was that called again? memories.

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Finally! Now to put the feet up and lock the door and start behaving like a public sector employee.
                                                                        This made me exceptionally happy. Nice wan. You'll have so much more time to argue with plane mechanics now.
                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                          This made me exceptionally happy. Nice wan. You'll have so much more time to argue with plane mechanics now.
                                                                          Cheers. Not sure where I'll channel the nervous energy from now on!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                            Cheers. Not sure where I'll channel the nervous energy from now on!
                                                                            One less grant competitor! Fantastic news!
                                                                            May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                              Two best options are KBC Extra Current Account, free banking if lodging €2500+; best savings account for interest too.

PTSB Explore Account, €4 per month fees but every time you use your card (including DD) you get 10c back, up to €5 a month, so can earn a sweet Euro every month.

Comment

You can also have a free account with EBS but their every process seems to be designed to suck so much it would be better to pay for it!
                                                                                May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                  If anyone publishes a snippet of an article here (or worse again, a full article), make sure to report it. I don't want to get sued under these new rules and ruined because I don't have measures in place to prevent it before it happens.
                                                                                  my understanding is as long as source is included you are all good
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I must describe last night.

Going to blame a build up of hassle for this, but fully acknowledge my own culpability. Have no problem with recognising my own failings.

Anyway, I drank a huge amount after a reasonably long period of sobriety. I'm not actively off the drink, but do recognise my life and that of those around me in vastly better when I don't drink, so am pretty much an ex-drinker.

Fast forward to last night, when I ended up in a local Irish pub at 2am. Got chatting to a guy there who was crying into his beer. His wife had left him a few years ago and he was raising the kids alone since then. This was a very rare night out as his parents were over.

Anyway this guy just had something about him. A sad soul that everyone wanted to hug. (possibly a French predilection), and people were just buying him drinks and respecting his right to let loose.

We ended up chatting a lot and my god that guy was just so stressed. Working in a factory, earning min wage, and just a torrent of hassle from his kids. Spoke good English as he was a former member of a band that had toured the world for a few years (in a minor way, but enough to pay for the plane tickets at least).

We were outside boozing and smoking when a Porsche very erratically pulls up. A guy dressed like the dude from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory falls out. Drink driving is highly accepted here. Please assume everyone on the road after 8pm is drunk when visiting France. This was now 3am, so the dude was atrocious.

So my guy starts whispering to me in a drunk way that everyone can hear."It's that guy!" Turns out he was obsessed with this guy having been in his restaurant ten years or so previously (I forget the exact details).

Up stumbles the wizard. My guy grabs him and says how much he loves him. The guy heard me say something, notices my accent, and proclaims how much a fan he was of being in the Highlands when working in London. It was an ongoing theme of the evening about the blurred differences between Scotland and Ireland.

So he orders the entire bar. Literally. Every single thing. All for our table. We're doling it out for new entrants to the bar like we're the barmen.

Turns out he was the chef and owner of a Michelin Star restaurant. And clearly from way more wealth in a family way, than a simple restaurant would produce.

Eventually the bar needs to close and he goes - "no fucking way, back to my place". His restaurant. A rather dodgy car ride later with a lot of swerving he brings us there and opens the door.

So this guy is a lunatic. He starts by opening a bottle listed on the menu at €1,200 (yes, we looked it up) - I forget it's name as it was all mouthwash at this stage, but very very pleasant mouthwash. The guy is in bits as are we all. We had about four bottles of wine. One weird note was that everytime I went to pour he started giving me instructions on how to pour properly. It was rather involved (PM for details), and he was manic about it. He starts stomping around on a weird Brittany version of a trumpet. We all started marching around trying the same.

The wizard then brings us into the kitchen for a tour. He was making tiramisu earlier. My god it was glorious, we tried all the bits. The pains were there on the rack, his chocolate had cooled down as well as some herby milky mixture and the coffee which he had been brewing for about two days. The chocolate mixture was just divine.

The night then disintegrated rapidly. The guy - my guy - collapsed on the floor in distress, or stress. We kinda got him together. Think the guy just needed someone to think about him for a bit and we sat there for an hour trying to mold him back together. We jumped around in a circle together going 'you're grand', or something like that. It seems weird and odd with hindsight but was nice at the time.

Then we dispatched the guy and set off in the car to a strip club. My abiding memory at this stage is of the Michelin Star wizard scaling a building after being told by the strip club that they were too tired as it was 6am. Memory fades after that, but remember the wizard shouting down from near the second story of the building - WE'LL DO THIS MICHAEL OR MY NAMES NOT ... (I've forgot his name).
                                                                                    Reposting this for anyone who missed it the first time. Post of the year!

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                      https://skelligislands.com/

Booking is open and available for the Skelligs.

Make sure you book the landing tour.
                                                                                      I'm trying but excessive traffic keeps appearing. Hopefully I'll get in.

I got in but landing tours are full, I assume they're all released together.
                                                                                      Last edited by Guest; 27-03-19, 17:26.

Comment

yea 1 batch - I bought 2 x landing tours for 8.30am for Friday July 12th. I was there last year and will figure out if I want to go this year a few weeks before hand. If I don't go I'll offer them up here.
                                                                                        I clicked on a different site https://www.skelligmichaelcruises.co...michael-tours/ which appears to link to the same booking site and availability exists there.
                                                                                        Perhaps they work off the same quota.

Any idea if there is a difference between the two? 125e including booking fee. Exact same options as link you gave

Comment

So assume DUP statement was to say they wouldn’t back the deal, but they called it off after hearing May was going, and now they will back it.
                                                                                          I'd fucking love if Bercow stoped MV3 now

Comment

all the same - landing tour is landing tour. Just leave from a different port maybe?
                                                                                            Seems to be along those lines, 25e more expensive but reviews are fine. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                              So assume DUP statement was to say they wouldn’t back the deal, but they called it off after hearing May was going, and now they will back it.
                                                                                              I'd fucking love if Bercow stoped MV3 now
                                                                                              seems like they are not backing it (insert best Paisley voive - 'nevvvvvvaaaaaarrrrrr!')

seems to me that leaves her short unless (a) ALL the Tory headbangersback it (unlikely, still a few to the right of Rees-Mogg) and (b) either some Labour MPs support it, or abstain? Fun times

Comment

Comment

play being a whip

I can't get the thing passed

she seems to be banking on the fact her own party hate her so much they will pass the deal to be rid of her!

Comment

Some legacy. Taking Benzedrine probably would have been a boost.

Comment

Can't believe Ranking Roger was only 56.

He's only 17 in this video, one of the great songs of 1980.

RIP.

Last edited by BennyHiFi; 27-03-19, 20:04.

Comment

The whole British porn thing seems mad and gets little notice. The civil service banning certain types, creating database that people have to subscribe to watch porn? Seems insane. Suppose if you're a civil servant in whitehall you're not really going to put up much of a fight against it in meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                                          Can't believe Ranking Roger was only 56.

He's only 17 in this video, one of the great songs of 1980.

RIP.

http://youtu.be/7VzakY8h5vI
                                                                                                          great chuneee. memories.

loved this cover

The Beat - Can't Get Used To Losing You (Top Of The Pops 1983)Web: http://www.thebeatofficial.com/Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheBeatFacebook: http://www...

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                            great chuneee. memories.

loved this cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jwzq_rPlsg
                                                                                                            Video unavailable

Comment

hitch, im feeling down can you get those two lads for Frida ?

epic night out . When i get drunk its usually Iskanders and licking sauce off me wrists .

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                                                Video unavailable

The English Beat " can't get used to losing you" from their " I just can't stop it " album ( 1980).

always knew them as simply, the Beat .

Comment

always remind me of this song when i hear their name , great tune also

The Look

The Look are a UK pop band, who had a number six hit single in the UK Singles Chart in 1981, with "I Am The Beat". I've cleaned up the video and added the or...

Comment

keeping the vibe going. Irish band in the Olympia recently Cork boy

Uploaded with kind permission...Got a peaceful feelingI've found the reasonFor taking nothing seriously.Its the guessing game withThose waves of flame and,Si...

Comment

"Butterfly" from the album "Here's One We Made Earlier"©The Pale Music 1992'Butterfly' Available to download here:https://music.apple.com/ie/album/heres-one-...
                                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

The 'English' Beat was only for the US market to avoid a clash with another group of the same over there.

As their star waned in Europe they took off in the US. Turns out REM were big fans and learned a lot from touring with them.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by BennyHiFi; 27-03-19, 21:16.

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X