Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
    I grew up in a middle-class house, no higher (our first family trip abroad was in the late 80s when I was in my teens and that was by ferry, the 80s compared to today were genuinely tough times for the vast majority of people in Ireland) and I never EVER had luncheon meat. Think my parents would've rather starved themselves than give us something like that.
    Grew up in a council estate, good hard working family. Tuna and mayo in brown bread every day for lunch mid 80s

Two girls in the class had dripping on bread

I asked for a bit to taste one day. Twas actually nice lol

Myself andy friend used to nip into the first yr classes on morning break and Rob all their sweet stuff from their lunch boxes to aquire the absolute nut lunch
    Her sky-ness
    © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
      No Russia entrant this year - hosts Ukraine wouldn't give the singer a visa. Seems a bit petty really, I may switch my allegiance in that conflict now.

Check back in on Saturday at 12.30pm for Eurovision low point sweepstakes.
      In

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
        I had a strange liking for spam when I was much younger, obviously after scraping all the gelatinous goo off it before eating. It made a rare appearance in our house, but I made sure to have some when it did. I think part of the attraction was the mad tin it came in.
        Interestingly enough, Spam turned the inhabitants of the Polynesian islands from the people with the healthiest diets in the world to those with the unhealthiest - in the space of 10 years.

During the course of the Pacific campaign of WW2, the US built air and naval bases all over the South Pacific. One of the things they brought with them was Spam - and the natives got utterly hooked on it to the point of abjuring their traditionally healthy fish and veg-based diet. I will never forget being in the (only) supermarket on Rarotonga on the Cook islands and seeing morbidly obese women rolling 5 gallon tins of spam down the aisle.

/Raoul's Fact of the Day/
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
          Jon Snow a good lad as suspected. Still relieved he didn't actually die.
          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Hitch did you go look for a bigger version of the billy photo than the one I posted.
            Or was it a co-incidence that you chose the same picture.

For the record, it was called Billy Roll in my supermarket. And he had a mate, Billy Bear
            SPOILER

And eurovision fanatics will be glad to hear our friends on the continent have, Conchita Wurst
            SPOILER

May not be real

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHunt View Post
              In Copperface Jacks again Mr Parrot. ?
              autocorrect laziness while pooping.
              1st world problems
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                Grew up in a council estate, good hard working family. Tuna and mayo in brown bread every day for lunch mid 80s

Two girls in the class had dripping on bread

I asked for a bit to taste one day. Twas actually nice lol

Myself andy friend used to nip into the first yr classes on morning break and Rob all their sweet stuff from their lunch boxes to aquire the absolute nut lunch
                Ha, every day I spent in primary school, and for many days in secondary school, my lunch was homemade brown bread, butter and thickly-cut cheese, with honey replacing the cheese on limited occasions. That's how we rolled in Galway

Comment

The average consumption of Spam in Hawaii is 16 times that of mainland America

/Spam facts/

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                    No Russia entrant this year - hosts Ukraine wouldn't give the singer a visa. Seems a bit petty really, I may switch my allegiance in that conflict now.

Check back in on Saturday at 12.30pm for Eurovision low point sweepstakes.
                    it's the most wonderful time of the year
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                      Ha, every day I spent in primary school, and for many days in secondary school, my lunch was homemade brown bread, butter and thickly-cut cheese, with honey replacing the cheese on limited occasions. That's how we rolled in Galway
                      banana sambos, jam sambos (which my mother, the monster, used to make with "butter" as welll). easi single sambos, sugar sambos and yep dripping sambos.
                      It's no wonder paleo is so fucking hard.

Finding a banana in the end of your school bag (or under your desk) after a month or two was always fun too.

Comment

Real talk economics:

ooooft.

How does an area become trendy/gentrified?

Originally posted by Outlaw Pete
                        Alloy wheels.

You see, what happens is that some young chef with a history of financial issues can't get credit and so ends up opening up a cafe / restaurant in an area they wouldn't ordinarily be caught dead in, but the rates are good. They scrimp on the fit out by leaving some exposed brick work and then the chef's friends starting eating there. The need for cold press juices increases in the area and before you know it more and more people with cash are in the area and inevitably they start buying properties forcing people who grew up in the area to rent elsewhere. Hey presto: trendy area and all because some chef had a bad rep for snorting coke and was refused business loans that would have seen them opening up in a area when these toffee nosed twats already were frequenting.

So why didn't this happen more back in the old days?

Alloy wheels, that's why!

Yup, back in the day that new cafe with the exposed brick work would have went bust, simply because the chef's friends would only have came to area once, had their hub caps stolen and then vowed never to return, but with the advent of alloy wheels and lock nuts being standard on expensive cars these days, that's no longer a thing.

Comment

Where I grew up there was a newish estate called "Spam Valley" It was called that due to the high mortgages and we all said they could only afford to eat spam if they lived there.

I loved pork luncheon meat, not the billy bear stuff, but the round stuff you got at the butchers that they used the machine to cut.
                          I have many happy memories at my granparents deli eating a roll and chopped ham as we called it. Loved the stuff then and still do and always get my parents to make a roll and chopped ham when I visit.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

SPAM is the crack cocaine of food. I spent 3 months having it every morning. Fried couple thick slices and place slices of cheese on top and have that between 2 slices of toast. Just typing this and tummy rumbling with desire. Its that bad! Once you get past the 1st few tins you are hooked. BTW I put on one and a half stone in those 3 months.

Never had it since........................................but.. ...............................

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                  At some point I stopped eating those crappy school sandwiches and shoplifting for better stuff. But had to keep making the sandwiches as, even in those simpler times, shoplifting wasn't an acceptable reason for lunch substitution. At some point I worked out that as long as I threw a few slices of meat and bread in the bin outside every now and again I could get away with not making the sandwiches in the morning, so used to go a few weeks in a row with the same sambo in the bag.
                                  Are you talking about primary or secondary?

We had free school lunches, the food was pretty good. We got soup, then a choice of main with curry being on the menu etc with rice or chips and various other things and we got a desert as well. My mum said I would tell her I had "custard and a kind of cake" no I imagine it was a sponge cake

When I went to secondary school I walked home for lunch, took 20 minutes, then had 20 minutes to eat my lunch and 20 minutes back to the school. Did that almost every day for 6 years!

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                    Finglas! Ideal. I'm moving to Ashbourne so only 20mins away. I'm on the road at the mo but I am serious. I'll pm you when I'm home if that's ok
                                    Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                    Moving to Ashbourne? Damn. Anyone want to buy the house there that I'm just about to move into? There goes the neighbourhood!
                                    Worked in Ashbourne for 9 years. They really really LOVE the Dubs.......not! Had some great nights there. Finished work at 4pm on Thursday, hit the pub and kipped in someone's house. Finished at 2 on Friday, hit the pub and kipped in someone's house.

Pubs of choice back in the day were Stag's Head > Kellys > Foxes Den > Ashbourne House > Hunters Moon. Although from 12pm, it was nightclub in Hunter's Moon followed by leaving the club at 3am, along with everyone just pouring into the streets and looking for a fight

I'm sure it's been all change in the last 15 years though!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                      Worked in Ashbourne for 9 years. They really really LOVE the Dubs.......not! Had some great nights there. Finished work at 4pm on Thursday, hit the pub and kipped in someone's house. Finished at 2 on Friday, hit the pub and kipped in someone's house.

Pubs of choice back in the day were Stag's Head > Kellys > Foxes Den > Ashbourne House > Hunters Moon. Although from 12pm, it was nightclub in Hunter's Moon followed by leaving the club at 3am, along with everyone just pouring into the streets and looking for a fight

I might get to a pub there at some point in the next few months, but unlikely to be able to give a ranking of them and describe late night behaviour in any of them for quite a number of years.

Comment

Sounds like a standard culchie night out. I'll fit in perfectly. Nice one T

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                          it's the most wonderful time of the year
                                          We.go.again

He's back:
                                          Add or download the song to your own playlist: https://ESC2017.lnk.to/Eurovision2017YDDownload the karaoke version here: http://apple.co/2pGkdx5Buy it on vin...

Comment

Old supervisor who I've worked with for the last 15 years has gone off to senior management and there's finally a permanent job going. The teaching brief is exactly the courses I've taught for the last 5 years and the research need is to continue his work which I have been working on for 15 years. Feel like I've got to have a decent shot but feck knows what sort of candidates are going to come out of the woodwork. Not really sure if they can even legally not give it to me.
                                            If I don't get it, it's basically career over so bit of a shit 7-8 weeks waiting for the whole process to unfold.

Comment

Comment

Comment

If they'd wanted to give it to someone else they'd have surely written a contract that didn't have such overlap with you. Although is there anyone else already in your dept who has a similar overlap?
                                                  Nah it's kind of tailor made to the point that people are walking around saying 'you must be delighted' which is kind of unsettling. Still though, some fucker with a h-index of 50 who's brought in 5 million might apply

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                    Old supervisor who I've worked with for the last 15 years has gone off to senior management and there's finally a permanent job going. The teaching brief is exactly the courses I've taught for the last 5 years and the research need is to continue his work which I have been working on for 15 years. Feel like I've got to have a decent shot but feck knows what sort of candidates are going to come out of the woodwork. Not really sure if they can even legally not give it to me.
                                                    If I don't get it, it's basically career over so bit of a shit 7-8 weeks waiting for the whole process to unfold.
                                                    Good luck. Can always fall back on Coffee or GTFO, recession's over....

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                      Nah it's kind of tailor made to the point that people are walking around saying 'you must be delighted' which is kind of unsettling. Still though, some fucker with a h-index of 50 who's brought in 5 million might apply
                                                      yeah but can the cunt fly a plane?
                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Have been struggling majorly with little niggles in my legs since I started back playing a reasonable level of soccer.

Have a consistent and very painful swelling underneath my ankle bone on outside of my ankle. Very frustrating. Peroneal tendinities Im told. Anyone experienced it before? Don't have the luxury of being able to rest it for a couple of weeks unfortunately.
                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

No school lunches in Ireland, unless it has all changed.
                                                          They have them in certain areas. Inishowen in Donegal. Under privileged areas they say. All thes big fancy 5 bedroom detached villas .. hmmm

All we supplied was an empty lunch box. Letterkenny was different. Had to supply your own.

Not sure if Scotland still do school lunches, but they were great.

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                          Have been struggling majorly with little niggles in my legs since I started back playing a reasonable level of soccer.

Have a consistent and very painful swelling underneath my ankle bone on outside of my ankle. Very frustrating. Peroneal tendinities Im told. Anyone experienced it before? Don't have the luxury of being able to rest it for a couple of weeks unfortunately.
                                                          I had a tendonitis in my shoulder and it was a corticosteroid administered with guided ultrasound that fixed me up. I could never have enjoyed my wedding and honeymoon in 2012 without it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                            They have them in certain areas. Inishowen in Donegal. Under privileged areas they say. All thes big fancy 5 bedroom detached villas .. hmmm

All we supplied was an empty lunch box. Letterkenny was different. Had to supply your own.

Not sure if Scotland still do school lunches, but they were great.

I had a tendonitis in my shoulder and it was a corticosteroid administered with guided ultrasound that fixed me up. I could never have enjoyed my wedding and honeymoon in 2012 without it.
                                                            There's no need to be so graphic
                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Joint 2nd best night of the year!

Comment

Cracking first 30 mins between Juve and Monaco

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

I had something in a similar sounding location but was caused by an acute injury but definitely a tendon issue, I'm currently working through tendinitis in both patellas, assume it's a basketball thing but in both instances, the biggest improvement has been consistent mobility on both, ankle is obviously harder to mobilise but lots of good stuff on youtube or if you have a copy of Becoming a Supplt Leopard

Comment

Impressive for a 17 year old, could be a dark horse

Comment

Knew the skirt was going to come off, proper Euro camp, he can't sing for shit though, probably cos he's a veggie 😂

Comment

Dani Alves still doing amazing things at the age of 49!

Comment

HHE finally taking a seat at the table with the European elite!

Comment

Can't figure out whether Lao Lao is talking about football or eurovision
                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                              Can't figure out whether Lao Lao is talking about football or eurovision
                                                                              These are the scenes in Lao Lao's house..

Comment

Moldova were great craic there.

This wan is terrifying. Like a young Sat Nav

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                  Moldova were great craic there.

This wan is terrifying. Like a young Sat Nav
                                                                                  GTFO I am a young one
                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

These are the scenes in Lao Lao's house..

You're not wrong...

Comment

This is no Euphoria...

Comment

GTFO I am a young one
                                                                                        In a nursing home.....

Comment

For me It's the following to qualify

Portugal
                                                                                          Belgium
                                                                                          Iceland
                                                                                          Moldova
                                                                                          Greece
                                                                                          Australia
                                                                                          Georgia
                                                                                          Sweden
                                                                                          Armenia
                                                                                          Latvia

Comment

you are correct, 12 months looking for one. what can ya do like lol

bought this yoke

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                                                                                            ffs product shipped bones of 30 quid , come home from work today and she whizzing around the estate
                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Banter View Post
                                                                                              First hurdle covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                For me It's the following to qualify

Portugal
                                                                                                Belgium
                                                                                                Iceland
                                                                                                Moldova
                                                                                                Greece
                                                                                                Australia
                                                                                                Georgia
                                                                                                Sweden
                                                                                                Armenia
                                                                                                Latvia
                                                                                                7/10

Poland is a fair enough shout.

No idea how Azerbaijan got through.

Think Cyprus are riding on the song writers past work, this year's entry is nowhere near as good as previous work.

Comment

Comet fired by trump on sessions recommendation.
                                                                                                  So much popcorn

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                    Comet fired by trump on sessions recommendation.
                                                                                                    So much popcorn
                                                                                                    Comey https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/u...=top-news&_r=0
                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Jesus Ross Kemp is tough viewing
                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                        all class

Comey found out by the news flashing on TVs while addressing FBI employees

Comment

In before Mrs flushdraw

Her sky-ness
                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                            all class

Comey found out by the news flashing on TVs while addressing FBI employees
                                                                                                            He's turning into Nixon even quicker than I thought possible.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

So many good memories of him from my youth.

Comment

So many good memories of him from my youth.
                                                                                                                    Hazy memories I'd say
                                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

In fairness to him, he's no Erdogan.

Erdogan spent a few years pretending to be normal.
                                                                                                                      Stalin was quiet enough in the early days too.

Comment

...

Comment

Ah lads, you're only encouraging SP.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X