Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every couple of days, winter and summer, I make a big bowl salad, I set myself a goal in february of being able to fill the complete salad from my own garden. Went about putting up a polytunnel and making a bit more effort to schedule successional sowings.
    Managed to get there with every bit of todays salad picked last night.
    Spinach, rocket, a few other greens and herbs, radishes, beetroot, broccoli, celery, carrots, green beans, broad beans, fennel, scallions, cucumber, peppers, the most delicious tomatoes ever and these amazing little things called cucamelons which are as the name suggests a cross between a cucumber and a melon!

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Salumi platter on the other side?
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        Every couple of days, winter and summer, I make a big bowl salad, I set myself a goal in february of being able to fill the complete salad from my own garden. Went about putting up a polytunnel and making a bit more effort to schedule successional sowings.
        Managed to get there with every bit of todays salad picked last night.
        Spinach, rocket, a few other greens and herbs, radishes, beetroot, broccoli, celery, carrots, green beans, broad beans, fennel, scallions, cucumber, peppers, the most delicious tomatoes ever and these amazing little things called cucamelons which are as the name suggests a cross between a cucumber and a melon!

That's awesome. Wish I was able to do that.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Wedding in Bordeaux. 37 degrees.

Tits.
          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
            That's awesome. Wish I was able to do that.
            I'd have too much fun with those cucamelons pretending I'm a giant
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

@SP you should check out Grow HQ in Waterford out near Ardkeen. They grow all their own veg on site with a veg of the week made 5 different ways.
              Really nice spot if you're down that direction

Comment

All kinds of jealous SP, my dream to have as much food as possible growing out back.
                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                  Wedding in Bordeaux. 37 degrees.

Tits.
                  29 has me melted in London. Heading to Scotland for the week to drop 10 degrees.
                  37 would kill me.

Comment

Was expecting running commentary on the Jolly Hockeysticks game from RDIII

Comment

Ireland in a shootout for a WC semi-final spot on RTE2 now.

Not often you can say that in a major team sport.

Comment

Was expecting running commentary on the Jolly Hockeysticks game from RDIII
                        Really shite game tbf.

Comment

This format of penalty shootout should be interesting for anyone who hasn't seen it before.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                            This format of penalty shootout should be interesting for anyone who hasn't seen it before.
                            Not very interesting so far. Too much messing about, need to be more direct with the penalties

Comment

Lol. Soon as I say it, Ireland so 4th penalty goes direct and scores. Wp

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                Not very interesting so far. Too much messing about, need to be more direct with the penalties
                                It's all about drawing the keeper and creating an angle. Second successful Irish penalty a perfect example.

Your method just wouldn't work against any decent keeper.

Boom! Well played ladies.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                  Lol. Soon as I say it, Ireland so 4th penalty goes direct and scores. Wp
                                  Direct would be blasting it as soon as you into the D.

Watch it again. Last one was even better.

Comment

LOL. Good mate of mine is the Irish forwards coach (played with him for years). Massive smiley head on him on the pitch there!

Comment

Direct would be blasting it as soon as you into the D.

Watch it again. Last one was even better.
                                      Yeah the 4th and 5th were class. Maybe nerves played a part in the early penalties for both teams.

Got the win anyway. Go team

Comment

It's all about drawing the keeper and creating an angle. Second successful Irish penalty a perfect example.

Your method just wouldn't work against any decent keeper.

Boom! Well played ladies.
                                        Time for a name change to the BBV in honour of the ladies I reckon. I propose “It’s coming home, innit?” A fantastic achievement and hopefully they’ll be less nervous and just go for it against Spain.
                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Presume we won?

Bandwagon ahoy?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                            Presume we won?

Bandwagon ahoy?

Yup, into the semi's against Spain, who are ranked slightly ahead of us but are beatable. We've got the easier side of the draw by topping our group so it's a great chance to make a World cup final.

Comment

Hockey is a woman's game . Make the skirts shorter or get it off the tellybox

Comment

That would be a better format for soccer penalty shootouts.

Comment

Being back in Dublin sucks because

A) I'm back in work
                                                  B) The weather is not as good and
                                                  C) It's just not New York

On our last night in New York and with the festival over, I'd booked us into a Michelin star restaurant for some excellent grub and then headed to a rooftop bar 20 stories up looking out onto the Empire State Building. It was time to drop down on one knee, pop a ring out of the pocket and ask Mrs Lao Lao to tie the knot. It was a total surprise for her as she wasn't aware it was coming.

Thankfully, she said YES!

I was going to post an "obligatory we just got engaged pic" but I thought it might put eoghan104 over the edge and have him making blindfolds out of napkins and loading bullets into shotguns

Organising a wedding is easy, yeah?

Comment

Anyone daft enough to go to the Med in early August is going to get fried to pieces. 49 degrees
                                                    Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 02-08-18, 20:29.

Comment

Well played Lao Lao, all the serious playas get engaged in NYC.

Comment

That would be a better format for soccer penalty shootouts.
                                                        Been done

A look back at some of the most memorable 35-yard shootouts from the early years in Major League Soccer. The shootout format was eliminated in 1999. Subscrib...

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Congrats Brian! That’s been coming a while but great to do it in style.

I can see you doing one of those festival type weekend weddings and it’ll be great fun organising it! My cousin did one and he had all his mates in various bands play and hired a shabby chic run down country house and we all sat on hay bales and listened to tunes and ate pig off a spit. We even had VIP style passes and the invite was a festival ticket. Can’t go wrong!
                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                            Being back in Dublin sucks because

A) I'm back in work
                                                            B) The weather is not as good and
                                                            C) It's just not New York

On our last night in New York and with the festival over, I'd booked us into a Michelin star restaurant for some excellent grub and then headed to a rooftop bar 20 stories up looking out onto the Empire State Building. It was time to drop down on one knee, pop a ring out of the pocket and ask Mrs Lao Lao to tie the knot. It was a total surprise for her as she wasn't aware it was coming.

Thankfully, she said YES!

I was going to post an "obligatory we just got engaged pic" but I thought it might put eoghan104 over the edge and have him making blindfolds out of napkins and loading bullets into shotguns

Ah that's fantastic, wp bro, and congrats.
                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                              This is probably a good place to start:

If you are wondering whether to dive in, give a couple posts a quick read. You’ll capture the blog’s essence. If after reading those The Stock Series is appealing, you will very likely enjoy it all. If by the same token your reaction is, “This doesn’t feel right for me,” it very likely isn’t. Stock Series:... [Continue Reading]

He has a book out but it's the same content by and large I'd say.
                                                              Cheers, is there any different in using different exchanges on degiro? I hear there are more fees on the London exchange? Something about a fee per share, can't recall.

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                              I think your strategy of random free ETFs beats 99.99999% of active investment. I'd have a look at a Frontier 100 ETF, or African centric ones, as a long term play, as the basic future economics of Africa is amazing.
                                                              Yeah reading some stuff about it now and it's quite hard to beat random choice. Surely everybody dumping everything in the same ETF's can't be great however? I can't process it right now but my gut says that's pretty bad. The market crashes and suddely all these financial people are losing their jobs as everybody is ETF's. Although if I know people they aren't buying and holding and are just jumping around ETFs and most people will still go for single stocks and people will get active funds, so then it's grand, creates more losers. Knowing my luck the bull run will end in a few weeks now.

Comment

@Tar I would say Google askaboutmoney and boards about the different tax treatment in Ireland for funds domiciled in different jurisdictions.

Comment

To whom it may concern... find and watch this:

The Two Bills 30 for 30

Would put up trailer but it really spoils the story of some of the stuff that happened for those who did not already know
                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 02-08-18, 23:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                    Cheers, is there any different in using different exchanges on degiro? I hear there are more fees on the London exchange? Something about a fee per share, can't recall.

Yeah reading some stuff about it now and it's quite hard to beat random choice. Surely everybody dumping everything in the same ETF's can't be great however? I can't process it right now but my gut says that's pretty bad. The market crashes and suddely all these financial people are losing their jobs as everybody is ETF's. Although if I know people they aren't buying and holding and are just jumping around ETFs and most people will still go for single stocks and people will get active funds, so then it's grand, creates more losers. Knowing my luck the bull run will end in a few weeks now.
                                                                    Prior to September last year I listened to a lot of finance podcasts to simply get to grips with different concepts, differences between ETFs, mutual funds and so on. I found it quite beneficial leaving with pretty much the same conclusion about markets.

Meb Fabers podcast was the one I found I got the most info from, it might be of interest, here's one with Ed Thorp known for his gambling success too:
                                                                    SPOILER

Pretty sure it was this one that made me view house ownership vs renting differently

Comment

Only 1 WEEK left for entries to the IPB FPL.

Due to UNPRECEDENTED demand a second H2H league has opened up. If you're already in the 1st one or have missed the opportunity due to procrastination now is your chance.

We're also running the popular draft option this year, last couple of spots available. When they're gone...they're gone!

YOU can still be part of the most ELECTRIFYING event in the IPB calendar.

Click on the link in my sig now, your life may depend on it.
                                                                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

If I was to move to Canada and withdraw any investments I had whilst over there would they be subject to Irish or Canadian CGT?

Comment

I wouldn't be worried about those financial people losing their jobs.

There must be greater inefficiency in the market now, it's an irony that because there's so much essentially dead passive money that active funds should have more edge (think more hot shot hedge fund managers rather than those eejits in the likes of Irish Life or Zurich). For avg Joe passive is still gonna be way ahead, the average active can't beat their costs. I'd just be wary of lumping in at the moment, valuations are very high.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Drip-feeding into buy and hold ETFs and deemed disposal don't play nice though - worth bearing in mind!

Comment

Yep!

Passive might be bad due to the wall of dumb money it creates, but even still active is worse.

A dripfeed approach seems best for investment. Valuations are huge at moment, but then again there's no obvious major threats on the horizon.

As a random idea: could put 50% of cash dripfeed over time into the market, and another protective 50% in a cash account ready for whenever the market corrects itself. That would then give you upside, and a bit of a natural put to protect from falls by balancing out buyin valuation.
                                                                                Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                Drip-feeding into buy and hold ETFs and deemed disposal don't play nice though - worth bearing in mind!
                                                                                Fight, fight, fight
                                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                  Fight, fight, fight

Nah I agree with what Hitch is suggesting (for whatever my agreement is worth glolm) but the practicalities of it in Ireland there is potential for pain from an admin/filling out tax returns POV.

Comment

...
                                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Don't fall for it. The lights go out soon . Apple hit the trillion mark.

Comment

Thanks Brady, will give that a listen today.
                                                                                        Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                        I wouldn't be worried about those financial people losing their jobs.

There must be greater inefficiency in the market now, it's an irony that because there's so much essentially dead passive money that active funds should have more edge (think more hot shot hedge fund managers rather than those eejits in the likes of Irish Life or Zurich). For avg Joe passive is still gonna be way ahead, the average active can't beat their costs. I'd just be wary of lumping in at the moment, valuations are very high.
                                                                                        I guess the more weighted it goes towards passive then the more people will want to start active funds so it balances out. Listening to Fraekanomics podcast on the matter and only 0.5% of these hotshot funds do better than random ETF's (taking into account fees), so then it becomes a game of guess the active fund. I guess it depends on how much the edge goes up for those other 99.5% of people as % passive vs active increases.

The valuations atm and sense of impending doom are why I haven't been doing anything so far but then what else do you do, sit there with 5/6 figures doing nothing. Almost makes me want to buy a house, wait for a cycle and invest after an adjustment but I might move to London so buy a house here would just be stress.

Yep!

Passive might be bad due to the wall of dumb money it creates, but even still active is worse.

A dripfeed approach seems best for investment. Valuations are huge at moment, but then again there's no obvious major threats on the horizon.

As a random idea: could put 50% of cash dripfeed over time into the market, and another protective 50% in a cash account ready for whenever the market corrects itself. That would then give you upside, and a bit of a natural put to protect from falls by balancing out buyin valuation.
                                                                                        I was thinking of like 5-10k at first and then dripfeed like 500-1000 each month, maybe 500 into ETF's, 500 as cash. As Keane says that seems like a logistical nightmare here but doing taxes isn't the end of the world. That combined with Denny's concern about the market means the other option is leave it in the bank (inflation is grand atm but it's stagnant in the bank) or buy property.
                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 03-08-18, 10:21.

Comment

3 leopards on my shirt

11 December: On this day in 1192, King Richard the Lionheart was captured. From QI Series I, Episode 3 - 'Imbroglio'With John Bishop, Sean Lock, Frank Skinne...

Comment

Thanks Brady, will give that a listen today.

I guess the more weighted it goes towards passive then the more people will want to start active funds so it balances out. Listening to Fraekanomics podcast on the matter and only 0.5% of these hotshot funds do better than random ETF's (taking into account fees), so then it becomes a game of guess the active fund. I guess it depends on how much the edge goes up for those other 99.5% of people as % passive vs active increases.

The valuations atm and sense of impending doom are why I haven't been doing anything so far but then what else do you do, sit there with 5/6 figures doing nothing. Almost makes me want to buy a house, wait for a cycle and invest after an adjustment but I might move to London so buy a house here would just be stress.

I was thinking of like 5-10k at first and then dripfeed like 500-1000 each month, maybe 500 into ETF's, 500 as cash. As Keane says that seems like a logistical nightmare here but doing taxes isn't the end of the world. That combined with Denny's concern about the market means the other option is leave it in the bank (inflation is grand atm but it's stagnant in the bank) or buy property.
                                                                                            Can't get it for you now, but worth looking up inflows into passive Vs active, it's actually incredible.

Comment

Listening to Fraekanomics podcast on the matter and only 0.5% of these hotshot funds do better than random ETF's (taking into account fees),
                                                                                              Big thing about these funds is their size go against them, there's tons of traders taking $$$ out of the market but getting returns on 1m v 10m v 100m v billion funds is just massively different

Comment

Ah I'd forgotten Irish tax situation. It all just goes into a tax-free envelope here (and most countries that are trying to encourage investment: why does Ireland always do these things half-assed?!)
                                                                                                Don't want us out of the rat race, and want us boosting property, there's no way out, 50% tax and massive tax on investment income, I'm entirely mad living here and paying 2x for everything...but jesus the people in rest of the world just seem so boring in compassion and at the end of the day...can't put a price on laughs.

Comment

Can just imagine living in Switzerland now, 150k/yr left after taxes, 0% tax on investments but dead inside wondering when the last time I saw somebody having the craic.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                                    Prior to September last year I listened to a lot of finance podcasts to simply get to grips with different concepts, differences between ETFs, mutual funds and so on. I found it quite beneficial leaving with pretty much the same conclusion about markets.

Meb Fabers podcast was the one I found I got the most info from, it might be of interest, here's one with Ed Thorp known for his gambling success too:
                                                                                                    SPOILER

Pretty sure it was this one that made me view house ownership vs renting differently
                                                                                                    His book is great (maybe skip the 45 pages of him bragging about his childhood though) incredible how much he figured out, makes you think that even now there must be a serious amount of low hanging fruit still left in obvious places.

Comment

Can just imagine living in Switzerland now, 150k/yr left after taxes, 0% tax on investments but dead inside wondering when the last time I saw somebody having the craic.
                                                                                                      You have to ask all the neighbours around you for permission to have a party, and people report you if you use a washing machine or hoover on a Sunday. Fuck that.

Comment

Actually Ed Thorpe had a note on it

SPOILER

Comment

My sister just emigrated there this week (from Australia). Be interesting to see how long they last.

Comment

Anybody that appreciates some solid fabrication and engineering, this series of 2 guys shoe horning a celica engine and running gear into an old rusty mini is really good.

Im only on episode 5 but cant get over the skill involved.

In the first episode of Project Binky, we take a rotten old Austin Mini and strip it down to a bare shell. We then take an angle grinder to it and cut it to ...
                                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

The cost of living is theough the roof. 150k wouldn’t go far. I’d be grand as I’m a total dry shite these days but the cost of living would kill me. Be nice to learn a few languages though....

Comment

Electric Picnic lineup updated today, a resounding meh musically. Wont detract one iota from my enjoyment of the wkend mind you, King Kong Company worth the ticket price alone, seeing them last year was a genuine life highlight.
                                                                                                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                                  Electric Picnic lineup updated today, a resounding meh musically. Wont detract one iota from my enjoyment of the wkend mind you, King Kong Company worth the ticket price alone, seeing them last year was a genuine life highlight.
                                                                                                                  Make sure to grab an Olympia ticket so, standing nearly sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                                    The kkc lads have done v well over the past few years and put on some show. They started out down here in the late 90s and took a 10 year hiatus before reforming a few years back. Absolutely brilliant live show, the oldest swingers in town and still sessioning strong with all of them close to 50.

Comment

C'mon ta fuck

Comment

I couldn't go down but looking at some of the pictures on twitter, Curraghmore House (AllTogetherNow) looks like an absolutely stunning setting for a music festival.

Opr

Comment

I wasn't able to go in the end but I planned to go to this:
                                                                                                                          https://www.53degreesnorth.ie/adventure-festival in Wicklow this weekend but house stuff to get done.

Not your typical festival but I hope it's on next year

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X