Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
    Jedward have been in the gym.
    ...Was that Jedward?...My self and mother both said it was, but they looked so different...

Comment

Deserved favourites. Riff building on the saxophone lads from last year...

Mind you, the Czechs stole the riff too.
      Last edited by Emmet; 08-05-18, 20:31.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
        ...Was that Jedward?...My self and mother both said it was, but they looked so different...
        Yous both need glasses.

Comment

My initial thoughts on tonight's action

Azerbaijan - Very good, could be an outside shot for the entire competition.
          Iceland Far too Christmassy – He even looked like an extra from a Christmas shoot for M&S
          Albania Great voice, if it was sung in English, it could be a contender but think it will struggle as is
          Belgium Very Alison Moyet vibe about it – I really like it, it was very strong
          Czech Republic Proper Eurovision madness, good luck, you’ll need it.
          Lithuania Beautiful voice, heartfelt, very simple, not sure if it is anthemy enough to win it
          Israel Bat shit crazy, out trumping Czech Republic in the madness stakes but was a much better song, could be a dark horse
          Belarus Boring, crying into a rose, get a grip, nothing upbeat about it
          Estonia It will do OK, but personally not mad about it, had they jazzed up the opera more, it would be a lot better, but it doesn’t give me the good “feels”
          Bulgaria Thought it started a bit flat but improved massively and ended on a high, should be up there
          Macedonia Did nothing for me, the bald dude on guitar actually annoyed me for some reason.
          Croatia Song was called crazy, she looked a bit cray cray (dress was good ) & music just seemed to jar with the lyrics
          Austria Very Aloe Blaac (I need a dollar) – Could do well
          Greece Good tune, very traditional Greece
          Finland Very strong contender
          Armenia Native language just isn’t going to cut it, especially if your native language is Armenian
          Switzerland Weird incestuous brother/sister act, with your one acting like a cross between Bono & your one from Coyote Ugly, jog on, quickly!
          Ireland Sigh, an Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith love child of a song, cynically tapping into the gay Olympics that is the Eurovision with the two male dancers
          Cyprus Quality in all aspects!

If I had to pick 10 to go through, in no particular order, it would be
          Azerbaijan
          Albania
          Belgium
          Israel
          Estonia
          Bulgaria
          Austria
          Greece
          Finland
          Cyprus

Comment

Oh ffs Ireland .

Bulgaria will win this year get yer monies on.

Comment

Top 5 from the dross tonight

Austria
              Cyprus
              Macedonia
              Ireland - the cynical direct marketing is gold.
              Czech

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                Would doubt that.

What I was wondering is what would stop whoever is funding those ads just donating to the cause/company directly, and they purchase ads? Is it possible it might make no difference?
                I guess the SIPO regulations? Amnesty are due for a court appeal about the Soros money this month I think. They have been claiming the money they got from his organisation is ok for whatever reason. Presumably anything donated this week now would be indefensible from the POV that the referendum campaign is in swing and you presumably then use the donation to buy referendum ads etc.

Not sure how much of a deterrent the regs are either way.

Comment

Is Billions any good?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                    Is Billions any good?
                    It's pretty bad, but entertaining nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                      Is Billions any good?
                      It's starts ok/shite and gets shite
                      airport, lol

Comment

Yeah watched the first episode and figured it's probably crap.

Comment

Just give us the fucking results Dougal.

Comment

Hoho!!!!

Comment

Boooooooommmmmmmmmmm

Comment

...Get fucking in there...

Comment

Absolute scenes
                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

...Gotta be a thread title change!!!...

Comment

Lithuania song straight off a John Lewis Christmas ad.

Nothing eurovision about it!

Czech and Cyprus' heavy sampling of previous favourites looks genius already.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                        Boooooooommmmmmmmmmm
                                        That was a late change from a Booooooooo.

Comment

How long til the percentages are leaked?

Comment

We really have a mixed bag of all sorts in here
                                            airport, lol

Comment

Someone wake up Mick Konstantin.

Comment

7 out of 10 not too bad on the predictions

Shocked that Ireland got in to be honest

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                  I've a daughter who has been living in the UK for 10 months now and is committed to working there for another 12. She is coming home to vote. if she doesn't come home at the end of her contract will she have committed a crime?
                                                  Yes she has committed a crime on the day she votes as it isn't her intention to return within 18 months.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                    Yes she has committed a crime on the day she votes as it isn't her intention to return within 18 months.
                                                    Jack it's impressive . No pot left unstirred . Deffo a master troll. I want your autograph.

Comment

Maybe an appropriate penalty should be 14 years in prison for any woman found doing it.
                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

LOL
                                                        If you want a test case I'd guess that she'd be more than willing.
                                                        Good luck in figuring out what her intentions are and bringing them as an argument to court.

The Trump stupidity is rubbing off on the fanbois
                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I'm pretty sure my niece in the UK is coming home to vote as well. Moved over around September or so.

Comment

My sister is the same, moved over to the UK in December, coming home next week to vote before she goes to Europe and on to OZ/NZ

Comment

It's in the Electoral Act.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                My sister is the same, moved over to the UK in December, coming home next week to vote before she goes to Europe and on to OZ/NZ
                                                                ...Forwarded this on to the appropriate authorities...

Comment

It's in the Electoral Act.
                                                                  Are you deliberately misreading my post or are you just gone obsessional about mythical voter fraud?

Comment

Are you deliberately misreading my post or are you just gone obsessional about mythical voter fraud?
                                                                    You want to know the silliest part of Jackie's whole bit on voter fraud?

Section 11(3) of the Electoral Act, 1992 says you have to be "ordinarily resident" and then have to intend to return within 18 months of "giving up" that residence.

Except "ordinarily resident" is never defined in the Electoral Act, 1992. Nor in the Interpretation Act, 2005. For tax purposes you only lose "ordinary resident" status in the fourth year after you leave. So, let's assume that is a decent guide, you have to form the intention to return between your 37th and 54th month outside the country. So four and a half years or so. I'm not giving out legal advice here by the by, just pointing out that it's not quite as Jackie boy might have you believe.

There's no electoral fraud going on. We have left the door open because democracy is about participation - not disenfranchisement. Our democracy was impaired when we restricted the franchise to protestants only, or landowners, or just men. Democracy is about a buy in by society to its governance. Jack is full of shit when he yearns for a pure referendum we can all just trust in.
                                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                      no idea why, but makes them a good bet for top 10, as they've never finished outside of it
                                                                      Small sample size of 3 comps though. Plus the first year they binked a bye to the final.

Do you honestly not understand what intention means? I find that hard to believe.

Comment

Jack is reaching for the Trumpian play #17a.

Discredit the result in advance.

Remember Trump's investigation on voter fraud? Nope, no-one else does either.
                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Section 11(3) of the Electoral Act, 1992 says you have to be "ordinarily resident" and then have to intend to return within 18 months of "giving up" that residence.

Except "ordinarily resident" is never defined in the Electoral Act, 1992. Nor in the Interpretation Act, 2005. For tax purposes you only lose "ordinary resident" status in the fourth year after you leave. So, let's assume that is a decent guide, you have to form the intention to return between your 37th and 54th month outside the country. So four and a half years or so. I'm not giving out legal advice here by the by, just pointing out that it's not quite as Jackie boy might have you believe.

There's no electoral fraud going on. We have left the door open because democracy is about participation - not disenfranchisement. Our democracy was impaired when we restricted the franchise to protestants only, or landowners, or just men. Democracy is about a buy in by society to its governance. Jack is full of shit when he yearns for a pure referendum we can all just trust in.
                                                                          Talk about blown out of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                            Jack is reaching for the Trumpian play #17a.

You don't really think Trump has more than about 6 plays in his playbook do you?

Comment

...
                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

No other sources I've read interpreted the provisions of the Electoral Act the same as the Taxation Acts but if that's your view so be it.
                                                                                Last edited by jack90210; 09-05-18, 09:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                  Hopefully brady's sister, 5star's niece, and strew's daughter can bond in prison over the shared indirect IPB connection.
                                                                                  Gigiddy

Comment

Planning application controversy reported in the times today, I had some sympathy to the objectors case, maybe its out of character with the area but then again we need to build upwards and if not Kilternan then where? Most of the objectors arguments are pure nimby and I was all for the development until I read this line about the developer: Mr Kavanagh, the self-described “Ronaldo of the property market”
                                                                                    He can just GTFO with his manky looking apartments

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                      Link me to other sources you've read if you don't mind?

'The Lunatics Have Taken Over The Asylum' is the Fun Boy Three's debut single, released in 1981 and included on thei debut top 10 self titled album, the sing...

Comment

What I half heard over the weekend...something about Trump going to the NRA, anointing Ollie North as their leader while mocking French terrorism victims and making childish pretend gunfire gestures then making up lies about knife crime in London... all that was a comedy sketch and not reality... wasn't it
                                                                                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Just a reminder on the guy
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Need some of them femnazi abortionists up in this bitch with their coat hangers yo!

Comment

How would 'intend to return' be defined legally.
                                                                                            It seems a very non-legal concept really - like there's lots and lots of stuff I genuinely intended to do in the last 18 months but I never made a single move towards doing them.

Would posting in a cv for an implausible job (head of google Ireland or somesuch) be enough proof that you had a genuine intention to return home in the unlikely event that the electoral fraud unit swooped on the #hometovote people.

Comment

If the earth is flat why has no-one set up observation points on the edges where we can just look into space from the sides?

Comment

How would 'intend to return' be defined legally..
                                                                                                You can be sure that for many women their intention on whether or not they can live in Ireland will be shaped by the result of the vote.

Comment

It seems a very non-legal concept really - like there's lots and lots of stuff I genuinely intended to do in the last 18 months but I never made a single move towards doing them.

Would posting in a cv for an implausible job (head of google Ireland or somesuch) be enough proof that you had a genuine intention to return home in the unlikely event that the electoral fraud unit swooped on the #hometovote people.
                                                                                                  Its all just part of the hodge podge to stop Yanks/Aussies voting for De Valera and leprechauns in our elections while not totally removing the Irish abroads right to vote

Nobody in their right mind takes any of it too seriously!

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                    If the earth is flat why has no-one set up observation points on the edges where we can just look into space from the sides?
                                                                                                    What is that all about? Are they just trolling?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                      What is that all about? Are they just trolling?
                                                                                                      It's because you can't get all the way to the edge, there's a wall and the government/Soros/Rothschilds/clintons will stop you and disappear you

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                        It's because you can't get all the way to the edge, there's a wall and the government/Soros/Rothschilds/clintons will stop you and disappear you
                                                                                                        Is the wall the reason for all the big tidal waves over the last few years?

That's why they made up global warming so, to hide the real reason for all the tidal waves!

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                          Is the wall the reason for all the big tidal waves over the last few years?

That's why they made up global warming so, to hide the real reason for all the tidal waves!

Well the wall didn't cause the tidal waves, it's whatever experiments they're definitely doing on the other side of the wall that caused them. There's probably a team of voter fraud experts over there too

Comment

It's probably why the seas have risen as well, the water used to have further to spread out.

Atlantis is probably outside the wall, that would explain a lot!

Comment

Planning application controversy reported in the times today, I had some sympathy to the objectors case, maybe its out of character with the area but then again we need to build upwards and if not Kilternan then where? Most of the objectors arguments are pure nimby and I was all for the development until I read this line about the developer: Mr Kavanagh, the self-described “Ronaldo of the property market”
                                                                                                              He can just GTFO with his manky looking apartments
                                                                                                              Definitely not Kilternan FFS, it's so rural around the proposed development it's more country than Dublin, even if it is in Dublin 18 (as is Glencullen I believe). It's crazy enough to see the apartment blocks up around Stepaside, and then the reluctance of various NIMBYs to have the same in vast swathes much closer to the city centre. Start by building more apartment blocks in Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Terenure, etc... and come out to Kilternan in 50 years or so

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                                Definitely not Kilternan FFS, it's so rural around the proposed development it's more country than Dublin, even if it is in Dublin 18 (as is Glencullen I believe). It's crazy enough to see the apartment blocks up around Stepaside, and then the reluctance of various NIMBYs to have the same in vast swathes much closer to the city centre. Start by building more apartment blocks in Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Terenure, etc... and come out to Kilternan in 50 years or so
                                                                                                                I agree in general where we really need to build upwards, radically and quickly is between the M50 and the Canals.

But you are still a Nimby

Comment

No other sources I've read interpreted the provisions of the Electoral Act the same as the Taxation Acts but if that's your view so be it.
                                                                                                                  Ah excellent! Written sources. Let's have them so.

And I wasn't interpreting it "the same as the Taxation Acts". I was actually pointing to the fact that neither "ordinarily residency" nor "gives up that residency" have a definition in the Act and therefore normal rules of statutory interpretation apply, such as harmonious interpretation with other Acts of the Oireachtas. But I am sure your other written sources can offer a good counterpoint.

So let's have them Jack. Links, citations, whatever works best for you.
                                                                                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Coming at it from the other way. The Act is vague due to the lack of a definition.
                                                                                                                    But we can't ignore that it specifically says "ordinarily resident" and not just "resident". The logical inference is that ordinarily is there for a reason.
                                                                                                                    What do you think that is?

The scope for define people who don't have any intention is extremely narrow. It basically only rules out people who have put down serious roots elsewhere.

When I left, it was my intention to return after a year or two. By year 4, it was still my intention at some point. I suppose buying property over here is concrete evidence against any intention.

Last I checked I was still on the register.

Don't need any token proof. The Act has the situation covered.

a written statement by a person that he intends to resume residence within eighteen months after giving it up shall, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, be accepted as a correct statement.
                                                                                                                    Also, despite some people's claims, there's nothing in there about having to retain that intention for the remainder of the 18 months, not follow through with it.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Mellor; 09-05-18, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                                      More like 5 years. Glenamuck Road is one big building site right now and the Park is going to double in size; the days of Kilternan as a sleepy village are going fast.

Comment

Ah excellent! Written sources. Let's have them so.

And I wasn't interpreting it "the same as the Taxation Acts". I was actually pointing to the fact that neither "ordinarily residency" nor "gives up that residency" have a definition in the Act and therefore normal rules of statutory interpretation apply, such as harmonious interpretation with other Acts of the Oireachtas. But I am sure your other written sources can offer a good counterpoint.

So let's have them Jack. Links, citations, whatever works best for you.
                                                                                                                        I'm sure I've seen poorly defined legal terms causing grave issues in some other context recently as well. It's a good thing the legislation can be easily amended to sort this out if so required.

Comment

Ah, I'm about two miles from Kilternan, down in the Gallops right on the Luas line so apartments where I am (and there are many) is OK But around the Golden Ball pub is just too rural I think. Everyone's a bit of a NIMBY in some respects though

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X