Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just finished the final episode of Mad Men, a little late to the party I know. Went wire to wire the last couple of months, what a great show.

I'm at a nice little lull in my life where I have time now for this kind of indulgence where I missed out before, any recommendations for TV series?

Comment

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/claire-...feature-626015

Great reading.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
        Did you accidentally share the wrong article?
        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
          Nope it was the best thing I've read in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy
            I’m going to guess it’s not like the movies not all 20 something Czech models. Hopefully after your gang bang you will be able to sit down lots of lube babes and a few poppers be grand. From your conversations about woman and sexuality this will probably be a disaster.
            ...Ha, it's defintely not all Czech models...Don't think I could handle it 😂...Curious what you mean about the sexuality part?...
            ...And it could well be a disaster, but at least I'll be something for my dating blog!!...

Comment

Arrived home from Hols tonight to the usual mountain of post. The one i went looking for was a UPS slip in case it had arrived today instead of tomorrow. Found it. Deciphered the handwriting to see where i had to go collect it from. "Under Hedge"

Well Mr UPS man the €6k worth of spare parts ain't under the hedge now you numpty...

Tomorrow is gonna be a pain in the hole.

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Really grabbed my attention , I like it and its a fair point imo

Her sky-ness
                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                    ...Ha, it's defintely not all Czech models...Don't think I could handle it 😂...Curious what you mean about the sexuality part?...
                    ...And it could well be a disaster, but at least I'll be something for my dating blog!!...
                    Genuinely cannot wait for the trip report!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Saw a few people openly wearing the No badges today. First time seeing it on public transport for instance for me. Last night feels like a watershed moment "it's OK to say no sort of moment".
                          Linky...

Comment

Anytime I went to a Tom Murphy play I came out feeling that I had experienced something but never felt I understood what, if anything, he was trying to communicate and usually left wanting to see the play again that I might figure out what happened. I missed more of them than I got to, in particular I regret turning down a number of opportunities to go to the Gigli Concert with Tom Hickey but seeing Siobhan McKenna in Bailegangaire was one of the most incredible theatrical experience I've ever had.
                            Judged on the few bits of contemporary theatre I have seen they don't seem to be making them like him any more.

Comment

Cant believe your views Raoul, never meet your heroes moment.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                  Whats the general craic for Short Deck, seems fairly intriguing.
                                  You can watch the highlights of the first public tournament that took place last week where Ivey and Jungle ended up heads up below.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                    HJ...were you buying cans of Gamma Ray IPA today?
                                    Haha, yes. And I had a lengthy conversation with the owner about the merits of the Irish craft beer scene. Quite hungover now strangely enough. Sorry if you were queueing behind me!

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                      Haha, yes. And I had a lengthy conversation with the owner about the merits of the Irish craft beer scene. Quite hungover now strangely enough. Sorry if you were queueing behind me!
                                      I was half thinking it might be you, but figured you weren't from this side of town so probably wasn't. I was just browsing while you were chatting. It's a great offo.

Comment

I was half thinking it might be you, but figured you weren't from this side of town so probably wasn't. I was just browsing while you were chatting. It's a great offo.
                                        Which offy be this?
                                        airport, lol

Comment

Yeah. I'm sure he meant to share this New Yorker piece about Incels, the hatred of women & loneliness.

Incels aren’t really looking for sex. They’re looking for absolute male supremacy.

Comment

What offo is this?
                                            Always looking for decent ones on the southside.

Stephen St news beside Peter's Pub and the Hairy Lemon is amazing.
                                            Mace outside St James' hospital is strangely good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                              You can watch the highlights of the first public tournament that took place last week where Ivey and Jungle ended up heads up below.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Opr
                                              Ah wow, Gabe Patgorski? He was a MSNL reg on FTR/2p2, heard a story about him moving to Macau and getting involved in the big games there. MBN.

Comment

Yeah, it has a really good selection, recently moved into Killester.

Comment

McHugh's on the Malahide Rd near Artane roundabout.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                      What offo is this?

Yeah saw a pic of Stephen at news, looks good. I had been going to Molloys but a bit out of the way. Presume you've all been to the underdog.

Comment

What offo is this?

Visions of ST smuggling bags of poncey beer into his mates in hospital.
                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                          Yeah saw a pic of Stephen at news, looks good. I had been going to Molloys but a bit out of the way. Presume you've all been to the underdog.
                                                          Drink store in Stoneybatter is one of the best for the size of it
                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                            How do you *move* into Killester Hector??! I'm guessing theres heroin involved in this story somehow.
                                                            I don't get my hands dirty

Comment

I don't get my hands dirty
                                                              You must be doing something stressful not only are you gone grey white baldness is appearing as well.

Comment

McHugh's on the Malahide Rd near Artane roundabout.
                                                                I know the owner fairly well from going in there a lot over the last few years. He's a great guy. i don't get in as much now that I am south side based but last time I was in a few months ago, I thought the quality of the wine selection had gone down a bit?

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                @lao I'm afraid I was too drunk to place that bet.
                                                                If you're not too hungover, it's not too late, first game is tonight at 7:45PM Irish time

Comment

Dr Boylan of the Yes campaign caught out in lies about the amount of obstetricians who support abortion. Only 40% even responded to his survey monkey poll.
                                                                  Last edited by jack90210; 16-05-18, 13:10.

Comment

Dr Boylan of the Yes campaign caught out in lies about the amount of obstetricians support abortion. Only 40% even responded to his survey monkey poll.
                                                                    And of that 40% how many were in support? Do you know how polls usually work?

Comment

UCD are doing a study examining the role of genetics, lifestyle factors and fitness in health. Free health assessments for participants.

Aerobic Fitness test
                                                                      DEXA scan
                                                                      Health measurements: height, weight, hip and waist circumference, blood sugar and blood pressure levels

Some of the health measurements are run of the mill. But worth the trip in firbthe Dexa scan and fitness test imo - for anybody interest in that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                        And of that 40% how many were in support? Do you know how polls usually work?
                                                                        You can't go around saying 80% of obstetricians support abortion when it's really only 80% of 40%. Who responded to a survey monkey of all things.

Comment

You can't go around saying 80% of obstetricians support abortion when it's really only 80% of 40%. Who responded to a survey monkey of all things.
                                                                          Yes you can, pretty much every poll you've likely every used to highlight a point is almost certainly doing so with less than 40% of whatever group is being polled

Comment

Think about the converse Jack - if what you are saying was true you could mail out ten surveys, get none back and then claim that 0% of obstetricians support abortion

Comment

Well with a population of 200 in the whole country I don't think statistically that's a sufficent response to draw accurate conclusions on the total population.

Comment

That's the way every poll or survey has ever worked.
                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Well with a population of 200 in the whole country I don't think statistically that's a sufficent response to draw accurate conclusions on the total population.
                                                                                  What do you think the turnout will be next Friday?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                    No. Not yet. Good range of beers from what i seen on twitter. Would you recommend?

Comment

No. Not yet. Good range of beers from what i seen on twitter. Would you recommend?
                                                                                      Yeah it's on constant rotation, the two lads are sound and really into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                        What do you think the turnout will be next Friday?
                                                                                        Even if it was as low as 40% it would be significantly more statistically relevant as the total eligible population is much much bigger.

In regard to your question if SSM got 60% I would say that's the floor.

Comment

I am a yes voter.
                                                                                          I do however get put off in here by all the ganging up on and mocking of Jack. People like Zod make my blood boil in that regard with their preaching and telling people to fuck off.
                                                                                          I spent some time on Boards and there is a lot more of a balance with yes and no supporters there. When reading that and some of the shite that no supporters come out with it gives you more comfort as a yes voter.
                                                                                          Just thought it was interesting. I find this place like a reverse echo chamber.
                                                                                          Same goes with Raoul today. Just trying to get across another viewpoint and you have people with their knickers in a knot saying babies were being shot by snipers which is just not the case.

Comment

Surprised Jack didn't post this pic

Comment

Even if it was as low as 40% it would be significantly more statistically relevant as the total eligible population is much much bigger.
                                                                                              Hmmm.

OK I'll bite.

If there are 200 people in the electorate and 80 of them vote in a poll then the statistical significance is the exact same as if you have 200 million people in the electorate and 80 million of them vote.
                                                                                              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 16-05-18, 14:28.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                                I am a yes voter.
                                                                                                I do however get put off in here by all the ganging up on and mocking of Jack. People like Zod make my blood boil in that regard with their preaching and telling people to fuck off.
                                                                                                I spent some time on Boards and there is a lot more of a balance with yes and no supporters there. When reading that and some of the shite that no supporters come out with it gives you more comfort as a yes voter.
                                                                                                Same goes with Raoul today. Just trying to get across another viewpoint and you have people with their knickers in a knot saying babies were being shot by snipers which is just not the case.
                                                                                                What if the viewpoint is abhorrent? Forget about the issues you mentioned, imagine that the position in question was abhorrent to you, would you feel the same? Would you be polite about it?

Comment

I am a yes voter.
                                                                                                  Jack will spout lies in here day after day and if they are left unchallenged it will leave people misinformed.

Zod told someone to fuck off for saying someone could have plenty of good reasons not to vote. The guy is passionate about giving women of Ireland theyre rights, a comment like that deserved the fuck off it got.
                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

What if the viewpoint is abhorrent? Forget about the issues you mentioned, imagine that the position in question was abhorrent to you, would you feel the same? Would you be polite about it?
                                                                                                    I'm not sure I follow.

Do you mean Zod thinks someone voting no to reapeal the 8th is abhorrent? And therefore tell whoever he wants to fuck off?
                                                                                                    Or do you mean the more general stick that Jack gets and that if you think him being a No supporter due to his religious beliefs makes him abhorrent and therefore open to be treated badly?

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                      Jack will spout lies in here day after day and if they are left unchallenged it will leave people misinformed.

Zod told someone to fuck off for saying someone could have plenty of good reasons not to vote. The guy is passionate about giving women of Ireland theyre rights, a comment like that deserved the fuck off it got.
                                                                                                      You're just backing up my point.

Why is the Fuck off deserved? Because you say so? Because Zod says so?

Why not be more respectful of people with different views?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                        Hmmm.

OK I'll bite.

If there are 200 people in the electorate and 80 of them vote in a poll then the statistical significance is the exact same as if you have 200 million people in the electorate and 80 million of them vote.
                                                                                                        That is very wrong.

Comment

You're just backing up my point.

Why is the Fuck off deserved? Because you say so? Because Zod says so?

Because it's just the internet. It's a fuck off at a comment. And it's deserved because we have a nation of women depending on people to come out and vote for their rights. I am respectful of people with different views. I am not respectful of those views themselves. This one is too big for that
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                            Because it's just the internet. It's a fuck off at a comment. And it's deserved because we have a nation of women depending on people to come out and vote for their rights. I am respectful of people with different views. I am not respectful of those views themselves. This one is too big for that
                                                                                                            Fucking drama queen. Jesus.

We'll leave it there so.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                              I think there is a case to be made that the left were masters of their own downfall.
                                                                                                              Equality of opinion and fringe opinions given airtime for 'balance' has had a dramatic effect promoting civil engagement (good) but gave credence and ultimately drove support to simple, nee stupid political answers (bad)
                                                                                                              Relevant.
                                                                                                              Statements that are factually incorrect, attempts at gaslighting and arguments that are unable to follow their own logical conclusions should be rightly derided.
                                                                                                              Being overly careful to allow balance and stifle derision is largely what has the west in the mess its in.
                                                                                                              We are in danger of following the lemmings over the cliff in our desire not to offend the rodents.

As for telling apathy to fuck off, I couldn't agree with zod more. Not having an opinion on the matter is laziness and true apathy logically leans to a yes vote.
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Fucking drama queen. Jesus.

We'll leave it there so.
                                                                                                                That's my view. You need to respect it. And no name calling haha!

Joking aside I see where youre coming from, but Jack isn't a good example due to the content of his posts and the hate driven agenda that comes with it. People are passionate and this is a massive referendum that really means a lot to women and people surrounded by women. It's gonna boil over now and then. No harm someone getting told to fuck off now and then, they'll get over it.
                                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

The person one can respect, but the view itself can and on occasion must be derided for what it is.

Any issue people may have with Jack is about the manner in which he presents his arguments. In his most recent example he said

"Dr Boylan of the Yes campaign caught out in lies about the amount of obstetricians support abortion. Only 40% even responded to his survey monkey poll."

The thing is, Dr. Boylan never lied. That's Jack putting a truly unsupportable spin on the facts. Dr. Boylan referred to two separate matters. First, the number of members of the executive committee who backed repeal and, secondly, the Survey Monkey results which showed 80% of respondents were in favour of repeal. Cora Sherlock and Dr. Trevor Hayes questioned the accuracy of the Survey Monkey poll given 80 of approximately 200 members responded to it. Neither of them produced an alternative survey or questioned the methodology except for Dr. Hayes saying that they didn't have much time to respond to the survey - which isn't really a methodological criticism. That claim may or may not be justified, but nevertheless it does not render what Dr.Boylan said about the 80% "a lie".

However, Jack wants to use the word lie to make it seem like the Yes side have something to hide or are disingenuous. It's a classic tactic of the propagandist to accuse your opponent of your own crimes before they accuse you.

Everyone here is, on a basic level, respectful of other people. But views should and must be challenged. Beyond that, when views are presented in an intentionally inflammatory and disingenuous way then both the view and the manner in which it is presented should be challenged. To do otherwise is to create a space where misinformation can operate on a level playing field with facts and where misinterpretation, intentional or otherwise, is seen as equivalent to justifiable and sound interpretation of fact.
                                                                                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

The person one can respect, but the view itself can and on occasion must be derided for what it is.

Any issue people may have with Jack is about the manner in which he presents his arguments. In his most recent example he said

"Dr Boylan of the Yes campaign caught out in lies about the amount of obstetricians support abortion. Only 40% even responded to his survey monkey poll."

The thing is, Dr. Boylan never lied. That's Jack putting a truly unsupportable spin on the facts. Dr. Boylan referred to two separate matters. First, the number of members of the executive committee who backed repeal and, secondly, the Survey Monkey results which showed 80% of respondents were in favour of repeal. Cora Sherlock and Dr. Trevor Hayes questioned the accuracy of the Survey Monkey poll given 80 of approximately 200 members responded to it. Neither of them produced an alternative survey or questioned the methodology except for Dr. Hayes saying that they didn't have much time to respond to the survey - which isn't really a methodological criticism. That claim may or may not be justified, but nevertheless it does not render what Dr.Boylan said about the 80% "a lie".

However, Jack wants to use the word lie to make it seem like the Yes side have something to hide or are disingenuous. It's a classic tactic of the propagandist to accuse your opponent of your own crimes before they accuse you.

Everyone here is, on a basic level, respectful of other people. But views should and must be challenged. Beyond that, when views are presented in an intentionally inflammatory and disingenuous way then both the view and the manner in which it is presented should be challenged. To do otherwise is to create a space where misinformation can operate on a level playing field with facts and where misinterpretation, intentional or otherwise, is seen as equivalent to justifiable and sound interpretation of fact.
                                                                                                                      The lie is saying 80% of obstetricians agree with abortion when in fact it is 32% are, 8% aren't and 60% we have no idea.

Comment

I do think a claim that ‘80% of obstetricians support repeal’ based on that poll is incorrect. It may not be a lie but it is certainly misleading.

Comment

FWIW I am also a yes voter and I can see where Eoghan is coming from; I think the fiery adherents on both sides are prone to making sweeping arguments and generalisations that just aren't true and furthermore probably do their cause harm when it comes to influencing undecideds.

"If you vote Yes, you are happy to see babies die"
                                                                                                                          "If you vote No, you hate women"
                                                                                                                          "If you vote Yes, you are really voting for unrestricted abortion on demand"
                                                                                                                          "If you vote No, you are just doing what the Catholic Church has told you to do"
                                                                                                                          etc etc...!

Neither side has any monopoly on bullshit free campaigning or hyperbole, the No side is worse IMHO but I know perfectly nice and well adjusted people who are voting No after careful consideration of the issues and I'd never dream of telling them to fuck off or that they are a pawn of the Church or whatever (a few are atheists as far as I know!)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X