Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
    I don't use netflix, but after a very quick google, does this help?

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/2102
    Brilliant!! Looks like it will work. I'll let you know in 55 minutes. Cheers Dom
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      A movie with a South Korean kid and a giant mutant pig.

Might well be the best thing I've watched this year. Ojka.
      Really enjoyed it, the director's very consistent. Mother and Memories of Murder are both excellent. The Host and Snowpiercer are well worth a watch too

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
        I don't use netflix, but after a very quick google, does this help?

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/2102
        Last time I checked, the help page says this option exists on the Playstation 4, but when you go into the menu it's not there. Cunce.
        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

For any occasional darts fans that might have missed the MVG v Rob Cross semi final tonight, you'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't try and catch it tomorrow (avoiding the result if possible)

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
            For any occasional darts fans that might have missed the MVG v Rob Cross semi final tonight, you'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't try and catch it tomorrow (avoiding the result if possible)
            Ya, it was pretty epic. Neither player deserved to lose.

Comment

Works a treat Dom. Thank you sir.

Comment

That was not anthropomorphism, they are not automatons. That must be the cop out word of the century.

Okja is a great film, one of my favourites of the year too (tied with Blade Runner). Although obviously I'd like it. Good balance with humour in it. Really like his other work too. Memories of Murder is great!

Great films this year:

Okja
                Blade Runner 2049
                Get Out
                Baby Driver
                Manchester By the Sea
                Personal Shopper
                Mother!
                IT
                Lady Bird
                Dunkirk
                I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
                Your Name
                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 31-12-17, 00:49.

Comment

Always thought it was anthromorphism, didn't know the 'po' was in there. Great word though, great depth to it. Not enough of that in the English language.

I think I was ascribing human emotions to the Rhino and the Cow in the first example though.

They're not automatons, but they're not aware of their existence either. In fact, a domesticated cow probably has a far greater quality of life compared to a wild rhino, in terms of stress.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                    but they're not aware of their existence either.
                    I'd think that's a pretty arrogant assumption.
                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I think the err people usually make is that because it is an innate part of human psychology to anthropomorphise that ascribing anything to an animal is a case of it. The only things you wrote about the animal was that it might have a preference (animals have preferences https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preference_test) and that it might be happier (animals have that emotion of course). Sure your example might not be what it is thinking as it may be too complex and wouldn't think "I sure miss Africa" but it would have the simple preference-interest that it likes how things were before, or doesn't like being confined and so on.

There is no way we can tell what animals think very well, even the tests we use on them are human-centric and anthropomorphic. Take the mirror/mark tests (mark an animals body without it knowing it and if it is aware of itself it should react to the mark in the mirror with surprise).

Major problems with that we assume animals care the same way as we would if their body has changed so we think that if they don't react they have no concept of self. Flaws in it were first shown when some animals of the same species reacted and some didn't, it was decided they just didn't care like we would, the change was not important to them.
                      Further issues arise when people realise that most animals don't have sight as their primary sense like we do, so yes my cat can recognise itself in the mirror, it often uses the mirror to try and get eye contact with me too but it doesn't give a fuck if I mark it with a marker or something. Same with a dog, it fails the test but sight isn't even a dogs primary or secondary sense. To top it all off we don't even know if self-recognition implies self-awareness.

Animals have been known to try and kill people that wronged them when they were young, to bury their dead/visit their graves and a couple they have asked questions (parrots and gorillas). It's a very interesting area of study. Alex the parrot is fascinating to read about too. Studies have shown that his species possess abstract, inferential reasoning abilities. They appear to have some understanding of causality and use it to reason about the world.
                      This is a great debate, me trying to tell you that you were right and you saying you weren't

One thing about animals in captivity making them successful, survival is not the only measure of success. Cows will never be able to evolve, ever. They are given birth to, raised and killed at a fraction of their lifespan. There is no survival of the fittest, there is no survival.
                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 31-12-17, 02:27.

Comment

They're not automatons, but they're not aware of their existence either. In fact, a domesticated cow probably has a far greater quality of life compared to a wild rhino, in terms of stress.
                        There was something interesting I learned about stress recently that shows how bad it is for us and all animals. In captivity a lot of animals have had a shorter live span than those in the wild, pretty counter intuitive one might think since they are safe and have medical care.

Historically there were a few reasons in zoos. One of the reasons is exercise, less exercise means you die earlier. The more shocking reason to me was stress. Animals in captivity tend to interact with humans much more often, which can dramatically increase their stress levels and shorten their lives. I think this is something people already know but let that be a note to people about how living with stress poorly can affect you. This ad is brought to you by Hotspur's mindfulness class.
                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 31-12-17, 02:48.

Comment

Stop ragging on cows man
                          "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                          "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Looks to be all kicking off in Iran going by Twitter.

Is Gholi still out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                              Israeli birds are decent enough in my experience.

Israeli lads are probably the biggest bunch of asshats you could meet.
                              I worked with an Israeli lad years ago in Donegal, really nice guy. Was far better company than some of the local ones in the place!

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                              Is she raeli ?

stunners a stunner. Perfect creature.
                              I agree, where she comes from has fuck all to do with it, she is stunning. full stop IMO

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                              Looks to be all kicking off in Iran going by Twitter.

Is Gholi still out there?
                              He lives in Malta. Although he could be away at moment, but think he is on the rock at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                I think the err people usually make is that because it is an innate part of human psychology to anthropomorphise that ascribing anything to an animal is a case of it. The only things you wrote about the animal was that it might have a preference (animals have preferences https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preference_test) and that it might be happier (animals have that emotion of course). Sure your example might not be what it is thinking as it may be too complex and wouldn't think "I sure miss Africa" but it would have the simple preference-interest that it likes how things were before, or doesn't like being confined and so on.

There is no way we can tell what animals think very well, even the tests we use on them are human-centric and anthropomorphic. Take the mirror/mark tests (mark an animals body without it knowing it and if it is aware of itself it should react to the mark in the mirror with surprise).

Major problems with that we assume animals care the same way as we would if their body has changed so we think that if they don't react they have no concept of self. Flaws in it were first shown when some animals of the same species reacted and some didn't, it was decided they just didn't care like we would, the change was not important to them.
                                Further issues arise when people realise that most animals don't have sight as their primary sense like we do, so yes my cat can recognise itself in the mirror, it often uses the mirror to try and get eye contact with me too but it doesn't give a fuck if I mark it with a marker or something. Same with a dog, it fails the test but sight isn't even a dogs primary or secondary sense. To top it all off we don't even know if self-recognition implies self-awareness.

Animals have been known to try and kill people that wronged them when they were young, to bury their dead/visit their graves and a couple they have asked questions (parrots and gorillas). It's a very interesting area of study. Alex the parrot is fascinating to read about too. Studies have shown that his species possess abstract, inferential reasoning abilities. They appear to have some understanding of causality and use it to reason about the world.
                                This is a great debate, me trying to tell you that you were right and you saying you weren't

One thing about animals in captivity making them successful, survival is not the only measure of success. Cows will never be able to evolve, ever. They are given birth to, raised and killed at a fraction of their lifespan. There is no survival of the fittest, there is no survival.
                                I award my post of the year to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                  That was not anthropomorphism, they are not automatons. That must be the cop out word of the century.

Okja is a great film, one of my favourites of the year too (tied with Blade Runner). Although obviously I'd like it. Good balance with humour in it. Really like his other work too. Memories of Murder is great!

Great films this year:

Okja
                                  Blade Runner 2049
                                  Get Out
                                  Baby Driver
                                  Manchester By the Sea
                                  Personal Shopper
                                  Mother!
                                  IT
                                  Lady Bird
                                  Dunkirk
                                  I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
                                  Your Name
                                  I thought you wouldn't like Ojka. They fairly took the piss out of everyone, vegans and Big Meat inclusive.

I could see you in the ALF.
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Thanks for the list Tar, planning on making my way through it. Watched Dunkirk last night, I was blown away. Incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                      Thanks for the list Tar, planning on making my way through it. Watched Dunkirk last night, I was blown away. Incredible.
                                      Very good very good .

Comment

There is a tonne of screeners around at the moment. I haven't got around to watching any of them yet.

The Disaster Artist, The Florida Project, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, Lady Bird, Call Me By Your Name, I,Tonya, Last Flag Flying and I Love You Daddy are all available.

Opr

Comment

The new Blade Runner was a funny one for myself. The pace, visuals etc all make the film feel like it could have been make by one of the greats from the 70/80's. The film itself though just isn't that good. We are so starved of films with budgets on this level trying to reach for places that this film in part tries to reach with respect for an audiences intelligence that I really wanted to love it but it just isn't very good.

I don't want to say it is completely style without substance as it certainly has body but it isn't on the same level with the rest of the film. Maybe that is why it is disappointing because it feels important watching it but after all was said and done it hasn't much weight in its ideas. I am disappointed it didn't do better at the box office because if films on its scale were made with more frequency we would end up with some truly great films more often.

If you are starving and someone throws you a bone with a little meat it will taste amazing but that doesn't make it a steak.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                            The new Blade Runner was a funny one for myself. The pace, visuals etc all make the film feel like it could have been make by one of the greats from the 70/80's. The film itself though just isn't that good. We are so starved of films with budgets on this level trying to reach for places that this film in part tries to reach with respect for an audiences intelligence that I really wanted to love it but it just isn't very good.

I don't want to say it is completely style without substance as it certainly has body but it isn't on the same level with the rest of the film. Maybe that is why it is disappointing because it feels important watching it but after all was said and done it hasn't much weight in its ideas. I am disappointed it didn't do better at the box office because if films on its scale were made with more frequency we would end up with some truly great films more often.

If you are starving and someone throws you a bone with a little meat it will taste amazing but that doesn't make it a steak.

Opr
                                            Strange year for movies that split audiences.

Blade Runner, Dunkirk, Star Wars 8, Manchester by the Sea, Baby Driver, Personal Shopper for example all had lovers and haters, in close to equal measure.

I thought Dunkirk was mediocre at best. I really enjoyed Baby Driver and Star Wars. I want to watch Blade Runner again. So much too it, and the legacy of the first movie, I frankly don't know what to think right now.

The Handmaiden is my pick for 2017.
                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Late peno at Selhurst Park.
                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                Late peno at Selhurst Park.
                                                One of the worst pens i've seen, wtf!

Comment

Great team and all that but Jesus do they ride their luck at times.

Comment

I hope whoever started those fucking Facebook messenger happy New year chain mails dies in 2017.

'Touch the clock, pass it on'

Touch your mickey

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                      Nah you’re just more likely to overlook them steering the conversation towards Palestinian people being sub human because they are good looking.israelis are THE worst to meet while travelling,would rather spend a night in an irish bar with a bunch of drunk Munster fans
                                                      There’s some merit to this.

Agree on them being the worst. By a long shot.

Watched the Zionist Louis Theroux the other day actually for the 3rd time now. The I watched the second Most Hated Family in America.

Was gas when the head crazy ladies eldest daughter was telling Louis that the westboro Baptist church will be moving to Jerusalem.

“That’ll be interesting” lol
                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

There is a tonne of screeners around at the moment. I haven't got around to watching any of them yet.

The Disaster Artist, The Florida Project, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, Lady Bird, Call Me By Your Name, I,Tonya, Last Flag Flying and I Love You Daddy are all available.

Opr
                                                        Really enjoyed I, Tonya. Fargoesque in its characterisation, and very well delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                          Really enjoyed I, Tonya. Fargoesque in its characterisation, and very well delivered.
                                                          it is terrible. it didnt know what it was. i turned it off after circa 40 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by mugsy View Post
                                                            it is terrible. it didnt know what it was. i turned it off after circa 40 mins.
                                                            You thought it was terrible, you didn't know what it was. That makes more sense tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                              I thought you wouldn't like Ojka. They fairly took the piss out of everyone, vegans and Big Meat inclusive.

I could see you in the ALF.
                                                              If we can't have some humour about ourselves we're in for a bad life. Plus it made a load of people vegan, even the director (for two months )

I award my post of the year to this.
                                                              Just in the nick of time!
                                                              Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                              I saw it in the IFI in 70MM, it was like I was getting bombed, such quality.

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                              Strange year for movies that split audiences.

Blade Runner, Dunkirk, Star Wars 8, Manchester by the Sea, Baby Driver, Personal Shopper for example all had lovers and haters, in close to equal measure.

I thought Dunkirk was mediocre at best. I really enjoyed Baby Driver and Star Wars. I want to watch Blade Runner again. So much too it, and the legacy of the first movie, I frankly don't know what to think right now.

The Handmaiden is my pick for 2017.
                                                              Bit torn on Dunkirk myself, a huge part of the enjoyment for me was the cinema experience with it, the loudness and quality of the screening were quite important to the atmosphere. I can't imagine it translates to a download at near the same level.

Personally thought star wars was pretty meh, completely forgettable but was straight back into the cinmea to see Blade Runner again (first film I've seen twice in a cinema ever) so this year was a lot of YMMV.

If you want a film that will split people watch Mother!, oh boy...

I still need to see Loving Vincent, whole film is animated with thousands of paintings, pretty unique. Want to see The Disaster Artist and Handmaiden too.
                                                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 31-12-17, 17:37.

Comment

Just finished the Unabobmer on Netflix. Interesting story. Worth a watch

Comment

Words can't describe the tiredness and pain I'm in right now. I think this could possibly be the first time ever I don't get to ring in the new year and we're an hour ahead. Jesus I wish I wasn't so unfit. Skiing ain't easy! Four falls. Sore ear, sore shoulder. Shin split, I can go on. The thoughts of squeezing into the ski boots tomorrow oh lord

However was fun, very very different. One lesson today. Prob can just about manage to ski now, down like a tiny nearly flat hill lol

Hopefully manage the baby smaller ski lift things tomorrow after second lesson.
                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                      Words can't describe the tiredness and pain I'm in right now. I think this could possibly be the first time ever I don't get to ring in the new year and we're an hour ahead. Jesus I wish I wasn't so unfit. Skiing ain't easy! Four falls. Sore ear, sore shoulder. Shin split, I can go on. The thoughts of squeezing into the ski boots tomorrow oh lord

However was fun, very very different. One lesson today. Prob can just about manage to ski now, down like a tiny nearly flat hill lol

There will be plenty of time to rest when you're at the hospital getting your legs put in a cast.

Comment

Shocking penalty decision against Arsenal

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                          Shocking penalty decision against Arsenal
                                                                          Absolutely criminal, and lets face it Mike fcukin Dean has plenty of form with us, if he isn't demoted to the championship for the rest of the season then the referees panel is a joke.

Comment

Its worth noting for anyone skiing, especially in Austria that the hospitals and slope operators are running a huge scam on some of the common knee injuries like MCL damage where they will dive straight into doing surgery is unlikely to be needed.
                                                                            The trick is to get yourself to a public hospital rather than one of the private clinics you will be brought to if you are picked up off the slope.

Comment

Lol, thought someone had erected some high intensity light in their back garden. Turned out it was the moon

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                Its worth noting for anyone skiing, especially in Austria that the hospitals and slope operators are running a huge scam on some of the common knee injuries like MCL damage where they will dive straight into doing surgery is unlikely to be needed.
                                                                                The trick is to get yourself to a public hospital rather than one of the private clinics you will be brought to if you are picked up off the slope.
                                                                                Or be careful.

Last of the mince piyes. Want mince piyes love.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                  Lol, thought someone had erected some high intensity light in their back garden. Turned out it was the moon
                                                                                  Which do you prefer ? Erections or moons?

Comment

The self proclaimed 'Master of the Universe' Aidan Walsh rocks us with this delightful number about our sacred Community Games. This music needs to be heard....

Comment

Comment

Big Easter egg shelf stocked in my local Tesco today.
                                                                                        Jesus must be turning in his grave or his manger, I don't know what to think anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

Fair play SatNav! I did recommend booking a sports massage. Don’t rush the progress with the classes. You’ll be doing blue runs by the end of the week regardless.
                                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Jesus now waiting on Zirbenschnaps, 80% proof.made from a tree in the back garden

Had homemade sloe gin 50% proof was beautiful!! She has litres of it here, jesus.

Feel like I'm. At home. Pjs no make up. 15 Gavigans in one huge chalet. It's fucking massive, bath and shower in every bedroom with a big bottle of radox muscle soak.

Highly recommended, chalet mur. She's related seemingly.
                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Anyone any experience with the gear vr?

Is there an app that allows you to multi task?

I want to be able to listen to a podcast on pocketcasts while sitting on a beach or by a pool or something, this possible?

I've downloaded a gig app, dying to try it out, you're sitting on the stage with a full 360 view, viewing the crowd from the band's perspective.

Playing a zombie shoot em up called Drop Dead on it and it's awesome craic.

Some piece of kit. Can't get over the fact it was less than €70.

Comment

Would depend on whether it was a full one or not.

Comment

Anyone any experience with the gear vr?

Is there an app that allows you to multi task?

I want to be able to listen to a podcast on pocketcasts while sitting on a beach or by a pool or something, this possible?

I've downloaded a gig app, dying to try it out, you're sitting on the stage with a full 360 view, viewing the crowd from the band's perspective.

Playing a zombie shoot em up called Drop Dead on it and it's awesome craic.

Some piece of kit. Can't get over the fact it was less than €70.
                                                                                                  Should be able to find loads of stuff like that but I have a DayDream so not sure where to find them for the Gear. Try some of the horror experiences/games. They are awesome in VR.

'Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes' game is loads of craic and I think it is available on the GearVR.

Opr

Comment

Should be able to find loads of stuff like that but I have a DayDream so not sure where to find them for the Gear. Try some of the horror experiences/games. They are awesome in VR.

'Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes' game is loads of craic and I think it is available on the GearVR.

Opr
                                                                                                    I saw that earlier and was intrigued but it seemed it was a live multiplayer game. It's not?

Comment

Pat Mahomes (KC) is 40/1 with 365 to get the first touchdown tonight.

He got 22 rushing TDs last year.

First TD gamble but way way overpirced.

Comment

I saw that earlier and was intrigued but it seemed it was a live multiplayer game. It's not?
                                                                                                        Yeah one of you is in VR getting help from the person on the outside. I had a few other games to recommend getting but that seems to be the only one available for both platforms that I have played. Netflix in VR is pretty cool. I just find the headset too uncomfortable to wear for long periods watching stuff in it. Once they become more portable it will make for a awesome viewing experience with your own person cinema. I think 'Notes of blindness' is available on both platforms and is a really cool experience.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                          Just finished the Unabobmer on Netflix. Interesting story. Worth a watch
                                                                                                          Gave up on it before episode 1 finished due to the stupid blank lost expression on the lead actors face. Such an annoying bastard.

Comment

...What are people's TV choice for New Years tonight, especially for the ringing of the bells...I'm really not a fan of Amelda May...I know several people suggest Jools Holland each year...Is his show live and will he do the countdown?...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                              ...What are people's TV choice for New Years tonight, especially for the ringing of the bells...I'm really not a fan of Amelda May...I know several people suggest Jools Holland each year...Is his show live and will he do the countdown?...
                                                                                                              Nile Rogers and Chic imo. BBC at 11.20. They go live for fireworks and countdown and back to the show after. Will be better than Jools

Comment

Jools all the way imo.

Just subjected to almost an hour of Brendan Grace by Mrs Lao Lao' s Da. Was on the brink of going all Michael Douglas in Fallen Down had it not ended when it did.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                  Jools all the way imo.

Just subjected to almost an hour of Brendan Grace by Mrs Lao Lao' s Da. Was on the brink of going all Michael Douglas in Fallen Down had it not ended when it did.
                                                                                                                  ...How the fuck has anyone ever found him funny...And I actually think he is on tv more now than the last 5 years, fucking hate him... And just realized, Ed Sheeran is on Jools so that's the winner for me...

Comment

It would be a coin toss for me, between BBC1 and 2. Though I more likely to continue listening to vinyl/cd's that haven't been played in a while. Found it quite funny that the paper, that the cd I'm listening to of Ivans 'Beautiful Vision' was printed in West Germany.

Comment

Bit of a balls living in Malta. Our bells are are 11pm Irish time so just not the same at all!

Comment

If you're not watching hootenany you're dead inside.

Comment

If you're not watching hootenany you're dead inside.
                                                                                                                          Gf watches it every new year. Bit of a tradition in her family now but can't stand Ed Sheeran. He seems to be everywhere now so a bit of disco with Nile Rogers will entertain us

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X