Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
    Is the online application process or the express route through the post office the best/easiest way to renew your passport nowadays or does it make a difference?
    Done mine on phone last saturday, arrived on friday
    Got gf to take pic as per the guidelines, rest was a matter of minutes.
    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
      Collected the car today absolutely love it. It's like a fucking mini pc. Chat away to it and it does everything. Not to fond of the lane assist thingy. You go over a white line on motorway and the steering wheel rattles kinda wondering are you doing something wrong. Anyhow it's a fucking fine car and I'm worth It

SPOILER
      [IMG][/IMG]

SPOILER
      [IMG][/IMG]
      Nice car , stop going over the fking white lines . Wimmin drivers gonna wimmin drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        OK brains trust.

Need a recommendation for presents:
        • For two Australian nieces, 9 and 6.
        • Should be recognizably 'Irish'
        • Should be small in size so can get packed away in their luggage.

Ideas please!
        Saw two freedom of Dublin awards on eBay..

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          Like that car idea. One step closer to the eventual goal of giving people immediate debilitating electric shocks when they drive improperly.
          Fk you HH and Ole

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
            I did a flying lesson a number of years ago in Cambridge and flew over Duxford which was a fantastic experience given its history.

If you really want to push the boat out you can fly in a tiger moth from Duxford airstrip which would be an incredible experience.
            It's for one of the brothers for a Christmas present.

I can't push the boat out too far or I'll have to redo the whole rest of the family shopping too!
            Last edited by Emmet; 18-12-17, 18:41.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
              Close,my name is actually Ewan Mckenna,the premier irish sports writing grouch
              The Katie Hopkins of sport.

Comment

OK brains trust.

Need a recommendation for presents:
                • For two Australian nieces, 9 and 6.
                • Should be recognizably 'Irish'
                • Should be small in size so can get packed away in their luggage.

Ideas please!
                2 chubbs each, one of Clonakilty White and another Clonakily Black.

Comment

4 in a row. WTF Judge Paul McDermott? WTF?

He said he would suspend the sentence because “there are positive features which would be utterly at risk, and to no great benefit to society if he was sentenced to jail”.
                  10 previous convictions....

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                    4 in a row. WTF Judge Paul McDermott? WTF?

10 previous convictions....
                    The state of the judiciary in this country. Ridiculous. They should be liable to be removed by some agreed mechanism if they do crap like this.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                      Really enjoying a new Netflix show, Godless, hopefully it gets a few seasons and gives deadwood a run for its money.

Surprised it has not been mentioned before.

Only fuckin with you pokerhand.
                      Ha, almost fell for that and was about to send an blistering respnse

In other news, landed in the auld soil today... been 16 months or so.... surprising felt quite emotional seeing the green fields from the air. Now savouring a pint (feck the jet lag)... great to be home for the holidays! Looking forward to seeing the old lad tomorrow.

Happy holidays everyone!!
                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                        Best place for a wallet? €100/€150 range or cheaper of course.
                        Front pocket preferable to rear. Impossible to pick and your cards stay straighter for longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                          The women's flyweight has good potential imo. A friend of mine is ranked in the just announced top 10. she has a big fight next but a win puts her in title contention.
                          Whos your friend Jessica Rose Clark??

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Comment

Effective income tax rates as percentage of total income paid by income category (last column). Even someone on a tasty €100k a year pays an average of 21% income tax. No wonder ye have no public services.

Add USC and PRSI...

There is close to 0 chance I am paying more as a % of income as tax here in UK than I would at home.

Hmm, figures don't seem to stack up..

The average tax for €100-> €150k in that table is less than the tax paid on an income of €100k in Ireland 3 years later...

Unless this is the famous 'Tax Unit' we're talking about here and there's plenty of dual tax credits being caught up in the above?

For a 61.2% Take Home

Compared with same salary in UK (£88k) taking home 66.8%

Last edited by Emmet; 18-12-17, 21:04.

Comment

Comment

So then the original suggestion that someone on €100k pays 21% is not quite .... true?

Given that they don't, as they pay the figures I've given you above. 38.8% is very very different.

Though of course, a household would probably be more concerned with the 'Tax Unit' metric, it is not an individual metric by any stretch.
                                      Last edited by Emmet; 18-12-17, 21:09.

Comment

Cardboard gangsters starting on TV3

Comment

Comment

Effective income tax rates as percentage of total income paid by income category (last column). Even someone on a tasty €100k a year pays an average of 21% income tax. No wonder ye have no public services.

Pensions being tax deductible is surely the bulk of this, making it cost effective to save for retirement instead of the state supporting everyone is I imagine a huge plus to the public services that would be bust otherwise. Trusting the general population to look after themselves has been shown to be terrible policy.

Same as most countries in the world I would imagine.

You are fake news.

Comment

In fact, even in France your take home pay on €100k salary is higher than in Ireland...

Net Annual Salary €64,799.06
                                              64.8%

Comment

Yeah, these are tax units. Its what the average person in that income category really ends up paying (taking into account all the various deductions they can muster together). USC/PRSI adds about 9% to the tax of a person on €100k, meaning they'll pay 30% of total income on income tax / PRSI / USC. It's very very low.

They're the figures provided by the head of the fiscal advisory council, so presume they're proper figures.
                                                I pay far more than 30% in tax (on the salary I pay myself which doesn't include my pension contributions) as a self employed person whose salary component is less than that band. I'd say I get to keep about 65% of the headline figure on my payslip.

Comment

Comment

You know that tax calculator you provided is just the beginning of calculating your tax situation right? There's loads of deductions that reduce your effective tax rate. My table is a table of what the average person earning that amount of money actually pays in income tax, so you can't really say its wrong if it actually describes the current reality! Maybe it doesn't fit your precise situation, but I didn't say: here's a table of what emmet would pay in tax in Ireland. Its what the average person in that situation pays given all their circumstances.
                                                    The average person has less than two legs.

Comment

Comment

A person on 100k pays 39% in income tax, USC and PRSI.

Something up with those figures Hitch. I'd say they exclude USC and PRSI for sure.

I get about 45% of my gross pay into my pocket.
                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

1/3 of salary in taxes plus 20% for pension sounds like a decent amount of 100k gone before you get to see it imo.

Comment

pretty poor effort Hitch

<shakes head in a more in sadness than anger way>

Comment

Not sure this is a good idea, but these are amazing. Got a gift of one recently and the kid absolutely adores it as they're so different. May not fit the Ozzie summer or indeed normally accepted fashion

SPOILER
                                                              Probably work for the 6 y/o.

9 y/o is more of a tomboy type.

Comment

The figures are right, but they also include all the couples where between them they are making €100-€150k.

They will also have had pension deductions all over the place.

Let's get a 'taxable unit' earning 110k and paying 12% into a pension

Figures now start to look more like the above. (Though nobody would suggest their effective tax rate was only 18%)
                                                                Last edited by Emmet; 18-12-17, 21:38.

Comment

Comment

20% pension????! Thats very much a personal choice.
                                                                    It's a choice all right.

A choice to have a life in retirement. I put in 25%.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Yeah thats probably about right. 12% pension or other deductibles. The original table didn't include PRSI/USC as it was only income tax. Pension clearly isn't a tax though, its you saving money for yourself, so that shouldn't be included in what the tax rate is.
                                                                          Your pension is deducted before tax, reducing your tax liability. So it must be taken into account.

Worth bearing in mind now that the comparisons with other countries also have similar tax benefits for pension deductions. Meaning that, when the same 'non-shmuck' earns the same money in the UK/France as they do in Ireland, pay the same pension amount out each month etc, they still end up with a better take home % than Ireland. In fact, given that USC is effectively an Income Tax that takes no account of pension contribs, other countries get even more attractive once you're paying into your pension!

A lot of the reason for this is that Ireland doesn't collect anything from some of the lower deciles, 37% of Taxable units paying 0 income Tax. That adds up...

FF's game of tearing people out of the Tax Net has meant that the balance has become more lopsided than it needs to be. And has poisoned the debate on the matter too.

Comment

Comment

@emmet - actually that table, I've just noticed, is for 2.1 million workers (left-most column), which is the amount of people that were employed at the time. So think its individual workers not household units, although some workers will of course be supporting a spouse who is staying at home, so they get the married couple allowance.
                                                                              It's actually more than the #Employed persons now, never mind then.

Does say 'Tax Cases'. Some seasonal employment to be considered too perhaps?

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Donegal says no.

Comment

A person on 100k does not pay 39%. This is a table of what people actually pay. Schmucks pay 39%. People with deductions: pensions, mortgage, health insurance, married couple allowances, taxsaver tickets, etc, etc, pay far less than 39%. Indeed they pay 21%.

This table is only income tax, so USC/PRSI is another 9% on top = 30% total that the average person on 100k pays.

Like these are the actual percentages from the Revenue Commissioners of what people at each salary range pays. They're not wrong.

20% pension????! Thats very much a personal choice.
                                                                                      Wait to not be a schmuck I should get married, get a mortgage and have a long commute? Sounds like the dream. maybe add in a few prepubescent meat sacks. I'll practically be making money then.

Oh well, guess I'll stick with what I know and live this terrible life

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                        Wait to not be a schmuck I should get married, get a mortgage and have a long commute? Sounds like the dream. maybe add in a few prepubescent meat sacks. I'll practically be making money then.

Oh well, guess I'll stick with what I know and live this terrible life
                                                                                        One man's commute is another man's me time with his music. The house has the puke virus now . I'm running scared . What to do, eat not eat ? I don't wanna dieeeeee

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                          Donegal says no.so it does
                                                                                          FYP

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                              New episodes of The League Of Gentlemen on over the next 3 nights on BBC.

Papa Lazarazou scares me a little to be honest. And most of the other characters weird me out. Will watch.
                                                                                              I've never seen the League of Gentlemen but I'm somehow aware of Papa Lazarazou. I think from those BBC clip shows.

"hello Dave..you're my wife now"

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                                                                                                Whos your friend Jessica Rose Clark??
                                                                                                Yeah Jessy. Good guess. Was it the fact she's Aussie or something else?

Comment

Interesting shot..

Comment

It's a choice all right.

A choice to have a life in retirement. I put in 25%.
                                                                                                    Not in the same age bracket for tax deductions

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                        Yeah Jessy. Good guess. Was it the fact she's Aussie or something else?
                                                                                                        Educated guess

Comment

Do you get an employer top up on that aswell? Had no idea people were saving those types of percentages in pensions.
                                                                                                          Just 5% matched in my place on my base - I make half my money in commsion so not a huge amount matched.

I am still catching up on not bothering with a pension in my 20's tho.

Comment

Do you get an employer top up on that aswell? Had no idea people were saving those types of percentages in pensions.
                                                                                                            Most people don't, not even close to what the above guys do.. I just pay what my employer will match but a lot of people won't even pay that much. It's so much free money for them so I don't know why.

Comment

Beat: Expected 10-30cm of snow here overnight though. Hope the airport can handle.

Brag: Home tomorrow. I'm very excited to sit and drink with the lads, get a round in with the oul lad, meet the nephew for the first time and basically stuff myself until I pass out.

Variance: -273.15
                                                                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Nearly jealous of RD3's declining years for the sake of the extra 5% tax break.

Comment

"Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                                                                  "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

@Hitch

Who is Ita O'Kelly?

Seems like a numpty

Comment

Yes, most do.

My employer puts in 14%. That would be very generous compared to most. Previous was 5% which I would suspect is more like the norm.

Comment

As to this very boring debate, the key question you have to bear in mind (well, apart from 'when am I going to die?' which most people don't care to consider) is 'how big of a pension pot will I need to live comfortably off in retirement?'.

For any sort of a life, that needs to be 1 million+.

Comment

For any sort of a life, that needs to be 1 million+.
                                                                                                                          I know fuck all about pensions other than the public service one is probably decent because private sector workers complain about it.

Do you mean 1 million+ each? Assuming you make the average lifespan then you're talking 80k a year each. That seems like more than enough with no mortgage or kids to pay for.

Edit: Even full professors at the top of the scale don't get 80k pension a year in retirement.
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Guest; 19-12-17, 08:32.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X