Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Ugh. Went for the yearly follow up with the cardiologist today (posted around this time last year about being told I have something called aortic regurgitation) and he said I need heart surgery next year. Have some sort of internal echogram in January to determine if it's valve repair or replacement. Replacement seems like a bollix, as needs to be replaced every 15 years or so with another surgery. Am choosing to look on the bright side that I probably would have just died oblivious in Ireland due to not getting anything checked. Bit shitty, but then again it is what it is, and it's not the end of the world.
    Funnily enough this whole this shortens your odds in the IPB Deadpool it doesn’t bring you in as short as you were a few years ago

Comment

Is this about ww - did those heartless bastards murder an ill villager?
      Nah, it's cause I like you. Goodbye m8

Comment

That Andy Kaufmann / Jim Carey doc is class
        Loved it. He's an interesting person to listen to of late. Had a pretty traumatic existential crisis myself a few months ago, deep in the Nevada desert fueled by a cocktail of drugs. I find the whole concept of identity pretty interesting since.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          Off to Belfast for the day. I shall query them as to what they are doing to that nice Mrs May.
          Parting shot of "right, we're off back to the EU" produced some pained looks.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Jasus Hitch, that must have came as quiet the shock.

You have the right attitude and that will go a long way to your recovery post surgery.

If you need anything don't hesitate.
            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
              Loved it. He's an interesting person to listen to of late. Had a pretty traumatic existential crisis myself a few months ago, deep in the Nevada desert fueled by a cocktail of drugs. I find the whole concept of identity pretty interesting since.
              DMT is a hell of a drug.

Comment

WTF??!!! Haven't been able to get to sleep properly for about six months due to the highly disconcerting beating of the current normal-ish heart, and you're saying with a replacement valve you can actually hear the mechanics pumping away?! ffs.
                There's no real mechanics (the replacement valves themselves are actually incredibly simple in design) but with a long life replacement there will be a tiny "tick" sound with each beat.
                May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  Parting shot of "right, we're off back to the EU" produced some pained looks.
                  Every time I go up and down to Newry past year have a car full of requests. Amazon orders, cheap-ass prosecco. Went to Tesco in Rathmines to grab a BYO to Little Jerusalem and identical wine was 15 yoyo vs £7 stg up north. Bound to be some decent smuggling opportunites in the offing for an enterprising soul
                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                    Is it just me or does this photo of Arlene look like it's straight out of a scene from Father Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                      Will be heading to NYC to see a friend for a few days who wants to go here for 2 nights, will try change to Vegas but think its just the proximity really.

No accommodation booked, just flights. Malaga was the decision but they are unsure which of the sounding areas to go for. City is an option but talks of Torremolinos etc.? Would you recommend Puerto Banus? Usual stag antics really.
                      As Dice said, Puerto Banus would be the most popular. Has a nice front port for early evening and dinner then a dingy back strip for once you've had enough booze to handle it. Be very wary of pickpockets etc tho. Few big clubs that go til the sun comes up and options everywhere to spend a tonne on a night out or a few grand easily. Fuengirola waaaay cheaper for booze and food, but not sure what the nightlife is like.

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                      Every time I go up and down to Newry past year have a car full of requests. Amazon orders, cheap-ass prosecco. Went to Tesco in Rathmines to grab a BYO to Little Jerusalem and identical wine was 15 yoyo vs £7 stg up north. Bound to be some decent smuggling opportunites in the offing for an enterprising soul
                      Was about to post a link that I found on booze deals on Boards. Awesome deal today on Amazon for whiskey fans. 2x Redbreast (€62 in Tesco, £35 on Amazon) and 2x Green Spot (€55 in Molloys, £30 on Amazon) ordered for myself. Have family in UK and there at Xmas so easy for me, but you'll need a UK address or have Mocata pick up your order Merry Christmas!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=gbps_...4P7EWR2HBB3J2W

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                        As Dice said, Puerto Banus would be the most popular. Has a nice front port for early evening and dinner then a dingy back strip for once you've had enough booze to handle it. Be very wary of pickpockets etc tho. Few big clubs that go til the sun comes up and options everywhere to spend a tonne on a night out or a few grand easily. Fuengirola waaaay cheaper for booze and food, but not sure what the nightlife is like.

Was about to post a link that I found on booze deals on Boards. Awesome deal today on Amazon for whiskey fans. 2x Redbreast (€62 in Tesco, £35 on Amazon) and 2x Green Spot (€55 in Molloys, £30 on Amazon) ordered for myself. Have family in UK and there at Xmas so easy for me, but you'll need a UK address or have Mocata pick up your order Merry Christmas!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=gbps_...4P7EWR2HBB3J2W
                        No issue getting these ordered to Parcel Motel i take it?

Comment

Anyone know if specsavers 2 for 1 deal can include a pair of sunglasses?
                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                            They say they don't take booze, but I've done it before, so ymmv.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                              Didn't know that. Dispatched and wrapped by amazon. Surely it would get through. Especially this time of year.

Comment

Puerto V/Benus . Just one big brothel of a town imo.

Thought they all fancied me at 1st

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                  My missus always gets a pair of normal glasses and a pair of sunglasses when she gets glasses from there, so I assume that's the 2 for 1 deal.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                    It can, I got a pair with my regular glasses a few months ago.

Comment

Lovely, cheers. Not clear from the website
                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                        Puerto V/Benus . Just one big brothel of a town imo.

Thought they all fancied me at 1st
                                        Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                                        Be very wary of pickpockets etc tho.
                                        Just need to have your wits about you after a certain time. And stick together. Same as most places that stags head to, Barca/Prague etc.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

my sister opened a restaurant on her boat (which she lives on) in Hong Kong. some critic recently described it as one of the top ten restaurants in HK

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                              Didn't know that. Dispatched and wrapped by amazon. Surely it would get through. Especially this time of year.
                                              I took two shipments of wine through Parcel Motel. First one got through OK but 2nd one was held by customs. I played all innocent and they let the second go but were at pains to tell me that you are not allowed send alcohol through them. When I collected the 2nd one, parcel motel told me the same.

Comment

Anyone here use a pressure cooker? Would you recommend it if so? I'm wary of it being another dust gatherer but I like the notion of it.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                    Anyone here use a pressure cooker? Would you recommend it if so? I'm wary of it being another dust gatherer but I like the notion of it.
                                                    we'd use ours quite a bit for cooking vegetables, but it's one of the saucepan type ones you put on the hob, not a standalone one. We use the saucepan part of it as just a saucepan all the time also, so it never gathers dust tbh.

Comment

You want to get a Cookeo, the staple of the French kitchen. Its a combined frying pan, pressure cooker, keep stuff warm, one pot cooker, device. We use it a few times a week. The key advantage is that it has loads of excellent one-pot recipes pre-programmed, and you can cook and brown stuff in it before turning on the pressure cooker part. Actually its excellent for cooking that chorizo+rice dish you recommended ages ago, cuts down prep time to minutes.
                                                      For 270 quid it'd need to chop the food and clean itself too!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                          100% dust gatherer after month 1.

Comment

Salah, Mane, Coutinho and Firmino

Not a bad set of attackers.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

RIP Everton

Comment

Out drinking with one of our Dutch suppliers, he's brought a few of his clients to Dublin for de session.

One French lad, turns over a million a week. Has teeth like he's from Sligo.

Gotta respect a lad worth millins not giving a bollix about getting the delph done.
                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Thanks for the invite. Gfyl
                                                                  "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                  "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

He probably can't hack the dentist. Some people go to any lengths to avoid it.
                                                                    P.S Gfy
                                                                    "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                    "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                      Out drinking with one of our Dutch suppliers, he's brought a few of his clients to Dublin for de session.

One French lad, turns over a million a week. Has teeth like he's from Sligo.

Gotta respect a lad worth millins not giving a bollix about getting the delph done.
                                                                      Fuck you, you inbred Dublin junkie.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Gibney View Post
                                                                        He probably can't hack the dentist. Some people go to any lengths to avoid it.
                                                                        P.S Gfy
                                                                        You gotta respect a lad that chooses to look the yokel.
                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

1, 2, 3, 1

Comment

John Crace in the Guardian nails the level the Tory government is operating at

David Davis knew he had a choice to make. Either to be in contempt of parliament for deliberately failing to provide full disclosure on his department’s Brexit impact assessments. Or to own up to incompetence and laziness. No contest. Incompetence and laziness won hands down. For one thing, they had the virtue of truth. For another, he was just too lazy and incompetent to do anything else.
                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

...

Comment

Today bitcoin has hit 12k 13k 14k (17k in korea). I watched it go up 500 in a few minutes.

Thank God RD said it was the top at like 8k so I knew to get more

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                    Today bitcoin has hit 12k 13k 14k (17k in korea). I watched it go up 500 in a few minutes.

Is there any argument that it isn't pure tulip? Though I suppose tulip bulbs weren't easily used to buy drugs or prostitutes.
                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Colossus® is the premier destination for investors, founders, and operators to learn the world’s best information on business building and investing. We're mapping the world's best business and investing information. Join us in the search at Colossus.

3 part podcast documentary on Bitcoin and other cryptos from the underlying concepts to it's potential future capabilities.
                                                                                      Presented by Patrick O'Shaughnessy with lots of guests. Roughly 100 mins total

Comment

...

Comment

Iota jumped 450% or so since my post about it two weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                            Iota jumped 450% or so since my post about it two weeks ago.
                                                                                            I still haven’t got an Iota.

Comment

IrishInvestorBoards, help needed.

I got lump sum from work this year. It's currently sitting in my bank account, but considering the smart move it making it work.
                                                                                              I've looked into term deposit options, and they are predictably total wank. The price of zero risk I guess.
                                                                                              Obviously any option will have risk and return is never guaranteed. What would people consider to be good plays?

I'm guessing responses will be something like;

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion
                                                                                              Buy bitcoin. We can hit 100k
                                                                                              Originally posted by Keane
                                                                                              Index, Index, Index
                                                                                              Originally posted by V for Vendetta
                                                                                              Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Maximize superannuation contributions
                                                                                              Originally posted by Raoul Duke III
                                                                                              If you have the self control. Few financial options can match the appreciation of wine. Based on your location I'd recomend a Hunter Semmilion or a Barossa heritage style grange

Comment

WP Hitch

Last edited by Mellor; 07-12-17, 06:09.

Comment

During the height of our bank crises the west brits on here were suggesting we should rejoin our former overlords across the water. There wasn't a big enough at the time. Hmmm same guys having fun watching those overlords sink in their own excrement .
                                                                                                  Whoever created the el tren emoji needs to create a Trump one btw. He's earned it

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                                    Whoever created the el tren emoji needs to create a Trump one btw. He's earned it

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

top o the class

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Well always keep some money in an account. Apart from that it depends how much it is and when you actually want to use it as to whether you go Pension vs mortgage vs etf vs tulip.

Comment

Think in an Irish context at least taking a chunk off the mortgage seems to win fairly comfortably in this sort of situation, assuming decent pension setup already in place. Can't remember the exact maths but can dig up examples if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                Think in an Irish context at least taking a chunk off the mortgage seems to win fairly comfortably in this sort of situation, assuming decent pension setup already in place. Can't remember the exact maths but can dig up examples if you want.
                                                                                                                Given higher interest rates in Oz it probably stacks up even more. Mellor is already contributing to his “super” so he’s probably covered on that front.

Obviously getting in a time machine and buying bitcoin a few years ago would be even better.
                                                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

There's a compulsory pension for all employees in Australia. So my various employers have put away 9-10% for me.

Paying off the mortgage doesn't really achieve anything. As when it's sitting in my savings it's deducted from the debt each month.
                                                                                                                  Has to be taken into consideration too, something like an index would have to average higher than mortgage rate to be +EV

Comment

How much is the mortgage interest? That will determine which to go for, you can look at historical returns, I don't think it's too hard to invest and get a better rate of return that interest rates here, even after tax. Off one is free of risk

Comment

...

Comment

Maybe this is the future. We'll all heat our homes with bitcoin

As bitcoin price takes off this winter, some say mining cryptocurrencies at home brings them profit and free heat.

Comment

How much is the mortgage interest? That will determine which to go for, you can look at historical returns,
                                                                                                                          Interest is about 3.8% atm.

Wouldn't be rushing to put a lumpsum into the stock market at the moment. The regular monthly pension going into the market makes sense for obvious tax reasons and because thats a 40-year investment plan, but actually putting a lumpsum in seems highly risky.
                                                                                                                          Could buy lotto tickets I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X