Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keane View Post
    If building a load of shiny new stadiums was going to be a good economic decision why bother waiting for a world cup.

A lot of the infrastructure Brazil built for the Olympics is completely abandoned.
    Olympics is different as you are building venues for sports which you may culturally have no interest in, good examples being the Rio golf course in your linked photos, or the doomed velodrome in Athens.

But that isn't a slamdunk reasons to say we shouldn't build shiny new stadiums for outdoor team ball games, when outdoor team ball games are our most popular sports.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
      Olympics is different as you are building venues for sports which you may culturally have no interest in, good examples being the Rio golf course in your linked photos, or the doomed velodrome in Athens.

But that isn't a slamdunk reasons to say we shouldn't build shiny new stadiums for outdoor team ball games, when outdoor team ball games are our most popular sports.
      That's a fair point. It was Mellor who brought up the idea that ending up with a load of stadiums dotted around the country was a big win so I was just replying to that - it's not particularly relevant to our case since we already have loads of stadiums.

That said, it's worth pointing out that the ones we have already are full almost never even when being used for the things they were built for. See Pairc Ui Chaoimh where they probably spent close to 100M all told - it will possibly sell out once every two years. The Gaelic Grounds in Limerick I believe has literally never been full to capacity since it was redone. The are talking about a huge redevelopment of Casement Park for basically no reason, with all major Ulster games always played in Clones with good reason.

Spending more money on stadiums in Ireland seems just pointless.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Heron & Grey Jan - Mar 2018 bookings opened at 10AM this morning -I was refreshing the website and calling them from 9:58AM - Fully booked out for all dates within 3 minutes - 41 nights at a Michelin star restuarant (albeit a small one) booked out within 3 minutes.

We are most definetely back!

Only managed to get on the waiting list for the date I wanted which I am not overly optismistic about!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Having good outdoor venues also seems useful for big concerts. Although why they continue to insist on not having a cover option on stadiums and weird incomplete designs (like that Cork one) is mad.
            For concerts?! We have as many outdoor venues as we have dry days. Do we need more outdoor concert venues across the country?
            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
              For concerts?! We have as many outdoor venues as we have dry days. Do we need more outdoor concert venues across the country?
              We already have the outdoor venues. Spoiler alert, there are no concerts in them.

Comment

Most were definitely pre-booked on the sly, no way they could go through that many bookings that fast.

Refund from Irish Water for me too. What a load of shite eh. Then again so was my unmetered billing.

Comment

By the way, I'd be the last person to argue that something needs to be profitable to be worthwhile - just interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                    Heron & Grey Jan - Mar 2018 bookings opened at 10AM this morning -I was refreshing the website and calling them from 9:58AM - Fully booked out for all dates within 3 minutes - 41 nights at a Michelin star restuarant (albeit a small one) booked out within 3 minutes.

We are most definetely back!

Only managed to get on the waiting list for the date I wanted which I am not overly optismistic about!
                    Do yourself a favour and book yourself a trip to Lisdoonvarna in the new year.

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                    Refund from Irish Water for me too. What a load of shite eh. Then again so was my unmetered billing.
                    Where do you see about the refund? I can log in and see the bills I paid previously, but when I go to the refund page they have set up it just asks me to log in again and takes me back to bills paid.

Comment

Did Google change their storage? Or did a bonus expire? Suddenly I'm 20gbs over the limit.

Comment

I didn't go to any special page they've set up, just added up my bills. You are refunded whatever you paid and the grant is not deducted. You get a cheque.

Could easily be a deal you got with your phone Denny.
                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 01-11-17, 10:52.

Comment

RWC here would have been great, very disappointing to have fallen so far short of the mark.
                          Never all that much of a chance of getting it when there is someone with the integrity of Dick Spring in charge, pity we didn't use the most qualified candidate
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Do yourself a favour and book yourself a trip to Lisdoonvarna in the new year.

Where do you see about the refund? I can log in and see the bills I paid previously, but when I go to the refund page they have set up it just asks me to log in again and takes me back to bills paid.
                            I can't even see a refund page when I log in. I paid all bills except the last one as it was clear they were on the way out. I see no refund section on my account.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                              I didn't go to any special page they've set up, just added up my bills. You are refunded whatever you paid and the grant is not deducted. You get a cheque.

Could easily be a deal you got with your phone Denny.
                              Did you get a cheque? I only changed my address today on my account m

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                I can't even see a refund page when I log in. I paid all bills except the last one as it was clear they were on the way out. I see no refund section on my account.
                                Yeah seems to be the same here. I think the refund page is just info for the moment.

A weird thing on it is if you have changed address it says you have to ring them immediately. Pretty pathetic if they can't handle a simple change of address without you having to talk to someone on the phone.

Comment

No cheque yet, they haven't issued them as far as I know. I was just checking out the details. Your page will update with the amount before they are sent out I imagine. They have only the preliminary page up.

These refunds probably cost millions to process. Great aul time.
                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 01-11-17, 11:04.

Comment

Yeah seems to be the same here. I think the refund page is just info for the moment.

A weird thing on it is if you have changed address it says you have to ring them immediately. Pretty pathetic if they can't handle a simple change of address without you having to talk to someone on the phone.
                                    You can change correspondence address on the website, which is what I just did this morning.

Comment

We already have the outdoor venues. Spoiler alert, there are no concerts in them.
                                      Exactly. Don't see any concerts in likes Thomand or down of the better gaa stadiums, no reason these shiny new ones would be used.
                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                        You can change correspondence address on the website, which is what I just did this morning.
                                        Yeah I've done that as well but sceptical about it since they make no mention of that on the refund page:

Update your address or personal details

If your address or other details have changed and you have not already told us please contact us immediately to update your account. Contact us on Callsave 1850 448 448 or +353 1 707 2824, Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm. Please have your WPRN and Account Number to hand, alternatively a number of security questions will be asked to protect customers’ accounts.
                                        If you have a refunds query or have not yet received your refund, check out page for advice.

Comment

Yeah I've done that as well but sceptical about it since they make no mention of that on the refund page:

https://www.water.ie/for-home/refunds/
                                          Sure let me know what they say when you ring

Comment

A slideshow composed of photos from a trip I made to Dodgers Stadium in August 2009. LA Dodgers v. Atlanta Braves.

Comment

Comment

Hospitals are not a healthy environment.

Comment

My pal in Melbourne was saying how well they use the stadiums down there. A new event every week. Guess there's more than concerts (although I'm aware it was me who brought up idea of concerts). They'd presumably need to all be a lot more like Aviva and covered from rain though.
                                                  We could see if Garth Brooks would like a weekly slot around various venues of Ireland. Quids in
                                                  airport, lol

Comment

The GAA field size being ~35% larger than rugby/soccer presumably makes it more expensive to design grounds with fully covered stands that also extend enough to cover portions of the pitch.
                                                    Couple that with our generally ambient weather that means that other than a bit of discomfort no-one will be actually harmed by our open stadiums and you can kinda see why they've developed the way they did.

Comment

Comment

Comment

But they look stupid! Really fucking stupid. Have no idea how that Cork stadium redevelopment cost €100m. It looks like a few drunks put it together over a blackout weekend.
                                                          A mind-boggling waste of money.

Comment

Comment

But they look stupid! Really fucking stupid. Have no idea how that Cork stadium redevelopment cost €100m. It looks like a few drunks put it together over a blackout weekend.
                                                              Trick is to extol the virtues of your uncompleted grounds and not be embarrassed.
                                                              Bit like the Portuguese who managed to get this ground onto the roster for Euro2004 by virtue of organising it a few international awards for design.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                London is hardly a fair comparison. We don't fill the stadiums we have regularly enough
                                                                Right, but my post had nothing to do with Ireland. I was answering a query about other countries specifically.

That's a fair point. It was Mellor who brought up the idea that ending up with a load of stadiums dotted around the country was a big win so I was just replying to that - it's not particularly relevant to our case since we already have loads of stadiums.

Spending more money on stadiums in Ireland seems just pointless.
                                                                You might want to read my post again as you. As that's not remotely what I said.
                                                                I was saying that the "cost of X" calculations often overlook the infrastructure that is created. That's it. Its silly to announce announce an Olympics/World Cup as a financial disaster if it doesn't recoup every penny over a few weeks in summer. It's simply dumb to ignore the value of new infrastructure when assessing the real cost. Value dies not equal cost btw.

As above, it was nothing to do with building stadiums in Ireland.

If you end up billions ahead due to contributions and revenue then you end up billions ahead, no need for further discussion.
                                                                It's not as simply as being ahead or not. You can be behind in $$$ but ahead overall.
                                                                If a car cost $20k and I pay $17k towards it for you. You're still in the red to the tune of $3k. The purchase cost you $$$, but overall you clearly came out on top.
                                                                Ignoring the value of the car is dumb, which is what a load of these whingy articles do.
                                                                Last edited by Mellor; 01-11-17, 12:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                  Right, but my post had nothing to do with Ireland. I was answering a query about other countries specifically.

You might want to read my post again as you. As that's not remotely what I said.
                                                                  I was saying that the "cost of X" calculations often overlook the infrastructure that is created. That's it. Its silly to announce announce an Olympics/World Cup as a financial disaster if it doesn't recoup every penny over a few weeks in summer. It's simply dumb to ignore the value of new infrastructure when assessing the real cost. Value dies not equal cost btw.

As above, it was nothing to do with building stadiums in Ireland.

It's not as simply as being ahead or not. You can be behind in $$$ but ahead overall.
                                                                  If a car cost $20k and I pay $17k towards it for you. You're still in the red to the tune of $3k. The purchase cost you $$$, but overall you clearly came out on top.
                                                                  Ignoring the value of the car is dumb, which is what a load of these whingy articles do.
                                                                  I understand that infrastructure left over afterwards has some value.

Comment

Stadiums cost a lot. A lot of material, and a lot of work to place them.
                                                                    $100m is gonna turn out a shit stadium tbh.

The lack of roofs is likely down to the bigger spans as AJ said. The bigger Melbourne stadiums mention above wouldn't have roofs either.

Comment

I understand that infrastructure left over afterwards has some value.
                                                                      Yet that's basically the point you are arguing with.

Comment

Definitely the time of year to visit Tayto Park - kids getting the value due to lack of queues.

No sign of the man himself yet though.
                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                          Yet that's basically the point you are arguing with.
                                                                          I think we are at crossed purposes because I didn't expect you to belabour such a simple idea as the stuff being left over being worth something. I would not be surprised if some analysis ignores some of that when calculating benefits or otherwise of hosting an event. It obviously varies as to whether the stuff left behind outweighs money spent (wasted?) on unneeded infrastructure.

I would see little or no value in building, expanding or improving a load of stadiums that get hardly any use in Ireland, so in this case I wouldn't see the spending as particularly worthwhile. Some of the other infrastructure I'm sure could be more valuable, but whether that would outweigh the waste of money on stadiums they were talking about is up for debate.

Comment

In with your dad? Hope he's getting a bit better.
                                                                            He's ok, nothing medically wrong with him but he went from being able to do as much moving as he needed to (very little) with a walker to not being able to walk at all and they don't see that improving.
                                                                            That makes him a bed blocker so after a couple of weeks of little or nothing happening they are trying to figure out the next move. Had a meeting with most of the interested parties yesterday and their opening position was to move him to a nursing home but I pushed back against that and held firm. Didn't really have to play hardball before they agreed in principal to put together a homecare package that will cover 80% of his needs if we cover the rest ourselves. I'm happy with that if it comes through and in reasonable time. I'm working on figuring out what reasonable should be in the current climate but it sounds like I shouldn't be getting worked up until into December

But feck me they are depressing places, grim doesn't start to describe it.
                                                                            There was a 100 year old woman fairly confused with dementia, really sweet woman but quite demanding of attention and feeling very afraid and exposed in the hospital who sat there for at least three weeks waiting for a nursing home place. In those weeks there have been three of my fathers contemporaries and one of mine died died in there. This week there was an old man whose family spent days persuading him to have some diagnostic surgery he didn't want to have but eventually agreed. He was prepped yesterday to have it done today and they cancelled it this morning... and on and on. I don't know how any of the medics or care workers keep going, its deffo not a job but a vocation.

Comment

I think we are at crossed purposes because I didn't expect you to belabour such a simple idea as the stuff being left over being worth something. I would not be surprised if some analysis ignores some of that when calculating benefits or otherwise of hosting an event. It obviously varies as to whether the stuff left behind outweighs money spent (wasted?) on unneeded infrastructure.

I would see little or no value in building, expanding or improving a load of stadiums that get hardly any use in Ireland, so in this case I wouldn't see the spending as particularly worthwhile. Some of the other infrastructure I'm sure could be more valuable, but whether that would outweigh the waste of money on stadiums they were talking about is up for debate.
                                                                              Even building a white elephant has value from a state perspective. If it removes unemployed people (at the margins) or it causes additional monies to be spent in the regional economy at a certain cost it’s worth it. Unfortunately the measuring of these things is nebulous and subject to vested interests overstating the effect but it’s certainly not zero.
                                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Lol at Shane Ross, a politician, not being able to organise a bribe to win a RWC.
                                                                                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                  Even building a white elephant has value from a state perspective. If it removes unemployed people (at the margins) or it causes additional monies to be spent in the regional economy at a certain cost it’s worth it. Unfortunately the measuring of these things is nebulous and subject to vested interests overstating the effect but it’s certainly not zero.
                                                                                  Yeah it occurred to me that the economic activity even for building a 100k seater in the Aran Islands or something would be worth a lot.

It reminds me of when people were complaining about India spending like a billion on sending a probe to the moon while they had people starving. On one level it's a strange thing to prioritise but on a more practical level it's not like they stuck the billion into a suit case and sent it on the rocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                    Definitely the time of year to visit Tayto Park - kids getting the value due to lack of queues.

No sign of the man himself yet though.
                                                                                    Oddly enough, Tayto Park seems to be quite the location for dates. Lots of couples (like actual adult ones) enjoying a ride or two.
                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                      He's ok, nothing medically wrong with him but he went from being able to do as much moving as he needed to (very little) with a walker to not being able to walk at all and they don't see that improving.
                                                                                      That makes him a bed blocker so after a couple of weeks of little or nothing happening they are trying to figure out the next move. Had a meeting with most of the interested parties yesterday and their opening position was to move him to a nursing home but I pushed back against that and held firm. Didn't really have to play hardball before they agreed in principal to put together a homecare package that will cover 80% of his needs if we cover the rest ourselves. I'm happy with that if it comes through and in reasonable time. I'm working on figuring out what reasonable should be in the current climate but it sounds like I shouldn't be getting worked up until into December
                                                                                      Sorry to hear. Its tough to deal with either way. Without a large family commitment the homecare route is very difficult. Even with the family commitment it can be a challenge.

Be prepared for the health service to not follow through on the promises or there to be a significant difference in what they assess as his needs vs what you think they are... also things like the HSE carers not working bank holidays, etc where whichever private home care team you pay for will.
                                                                                      May you live in interesting times!

Comment

...

Comment

Seems a decent 25% of the rules of the road for driving in France are concerned with handling roundabouts. There's clearly some sorts of problems there if they need that amount of emphasis.

Coming to the end of this approx 300 page book on the French driving theory test. Was taking me half an hour to read and translate and understand a page at the beginning, now about 5 mins. A rather dramatic way to improve one's grasp of the language.

Still flunking all the practice tests though on each section, so thats the next problem.
                                                                                          Was behind a French driver on Saturday while doing my deliveries and I must say I was happy. He didn't give one bollox to the rotr and just did his own thing. Cutting people off at will and pulling across traffic. Made it handy for my big van to get a path through

Comment

25% of the road network in France is roundabouts so seems fair.

Comment

Anybody ever dabble with home brewing for beer etc? Any good or is it just a pain in the hoop for pissy beer?

Comment

Anybody ever dabble with home brewing for beer etc? Any good or is it just a pain in the hoop for pissy beer?
                                                                                                Yep and Cb radio(my handle was 'sore paw') and clackers and Rubix cube.

Hoop will be pained

Comment

Conor McGregor and Ibrahim Halawa both on this Friday’s Late Late,wp to their bookers for once.somone warm Twitter,they are gonna need a bigger server

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                    Conor McGregor and Ibrahim Halawa both on this Friday’s Late Late,wp to their bookers for once.somone warm Twitter,they are gonna need a bigger server
                                                                                                    Conor recorded. Takes the edge of it.

Comment

By popular demand, I bring you an annotated video of the Breazeale Nuclear Reactor! The sound is fixed and many things are explained. If you have any questio...

Comment

Had to restart computer the classic hold down the off button until it dies kinda way, when I logged back on my chrome was without bookmarks.
                                                                                                        I wasn't logged into any accounts beforehand, how do I get all these bookmarks back pls
                                                                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                                            Had to restart computer the classic hold down the off button until it dies kinda way, when I logged back on my chrome was without bookmarks.
                                                                                                            I wasn't logged into any accounts beforehand, how do I get all these bookmarks back pls
                                                                                                            Its all one word, xhamster, your welcome.
                                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

...

Comment

Nothing serious in Blanch, I presume?
                                                                                                                Twitter reliably informs that a teenager with a rifle starting shooting in the centre (no injuries reported, and this is probably wrong).
                                                                                                                Ah 19 year old went missing from Clare today. There was a waring issued that he may have had a rifle and ammo and to call Gardai if you see him. That's all I read earlier tho. Be some coincidence if it's not the same chap

Comment

"Hsrself" got a message from a friend. Young man arrested with a rifle. No shots fired.

Comment

What would.bring you to Blanch from Clare tho. It's not even handy to get to from that side. Hopefully it's just a major cry for help

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                      What would.bring you to Blanch from Clare tho. It's not even handy to get to from that side. Hopefully it's just a major cry for help
                                                                                                                      Probably looking for a rail striker and sure who'd blame him

Comment

Oh I have a message for the Situation from P&F

Comment

Are Spurs really beating Madrid 3-0?
                                                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X