Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    Well how it has worked for the last decades is that Alcohol purchase has now been so normalised that kids see it as being something as normal as buying food. And you see the thing is, it isn't.

Indeed, its silly to allow the alcohol companies to continue to market at children, would be much simpler and more effective to ban all marketing except for inside licensed premises.
    Thanks for replying to my question in such a way as to not even attempt to answer it.

As for haircut beers, that's about as relevant to me as if they banned communion wine.

Comment

Strewelbuzzkillingpeter.

I believe we had to stop giving our kids gripe water due to its alcohol content . Not in the rep but tis ok up north. Drunking loyalist baztards.

Buzzkillingspeters.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
        I don't agree with the above. Why does the answer always have to be to ban something. Why can't we use other methods?

How about we start as a collective society of parents and mature adults by stop telling kids that alcohol is bad and then proceeding to go on the lash at the weekends. How about we educate kids about the dangers of alcohol when taken in excess but once drank in moderation, it is OK (and has some potential health benefits). How about we develop alternatives to the pub as a social activity.

I'm pretty sure other countries in Europe, Spain, France, Italy, etc have similar marketing/advertsing campaigns as we do here in Ireland but they don't seem to have the same issues as we do

Banning something just drives the issue under ground, it creates a bigger taboo about it and makes people want it more, especially teenagers and young adults whose very nature is to be rebellious
        Alcohol consumption is already down massively over the last few years. And as far as I can remember, studies show that advertising has little effect on alcohol consumption, it's more about brands competing for that consumption.

I agree. I think we'd be better off lowing the drinking age, and reducing the restrictions on drinking hours, and turn it into something that's more relaxed and normalised rather than something that has to be binged on during specific hours.
        Last edited by Denny Crane; 26-09-17, 12:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          And sex
          Was gonna say 3 legged racing

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
            Thanks for replying to my question in such a way as to not even attempt to answer it.

As for haircut beers, that's about as relevant to me as if they banned communion wine.
            No booze in the SE too I'd presume. Special sectioned off areas in supermarkets for booze, pretty steep minimum pricing even though we already have some of the most expensive booze in Europe. The minimum pricing is crazy, just moves money from poor people to supermarkets.

Comment

Indeed, its silly to allow the alcohol companies to continue to market at children, would be much simpler and more effective to ban all marketing except for inside licensed premises.
              Who is marketing to children?

Comment

I'm pretty sure other countries in Europe, Spain, France, Italy, etc have similar marketing/advertsing campaigns as we do here in Ireland but they don't seem to have the same issues as we do
                I dunno about that m8, anytime I was in Spain I was fucking goat weaseled

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                  Hate to break it to you m8 but you have proper pasty illuminious white skin 'cos you is Irish not Spanish

Comment

How about we start as a collective society of parents and mature adults by stop telling kids that alcohol is bad and then proceeding to go on the lash at the weekends. How about we educate kids about the dangers of alcohol when taken in excess but once drank in moderation, it is OK (and has some potential health benefits). How about we develop alternatives to the pub as a social activity.
                    Just like to point out alcohol is a group 1 carcinogen and is so at any amount so it's a bad friend with benefits.

Anyway the way we handle it is atrocious as you say and we would be much better off not having this weird alcohol youth taboo culture that revolves around binging. You don't see problems like ours in some other EU countries where they have 11% beers for €1 in the supermarket, they just think about it completely differently.

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                      This made my morning.
                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                        Not a sport. Definition of sport is activity that involves physical exertion and skill... there is no skill involved.
                        I play real sports. Not trying to be the best at exercising. Fuck this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                          I play real sports. Not trying to be the best at exercising. Fuck this guy.
                          And it's only a sport if you can collide impactfully with other men. In a completely hetero way.

Golf is not a sport.
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

That dressage is definitely not a sport. Dancing bleedin horses.

More like a Britain's got talent contestant.
                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                              studies show that advertising has little effect on alcohol consumption, it's more about brands competing for that consumption.
                              LMAO, you have probably managed to convince yourself of that
                              Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              Who is marketing to children?
                              The Alcohol companies, you do watch the TV don't you .
                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Good Kenny Powers reference. Wpd
                                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                  Good Kenny "Fuckin" Powers reference. Wpd
                                  Fixed that for ya.
                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Hate to break it to you m8 but you have proper pasty illuminious white skin 'cos you is Irish not Spanish
                                    Hate to break it to you m8...
                                    airport, lol

Comment

I wouldn't be too comfortable drinking beverages in a barber's anyway because there just has to be micro particles of cut hair flying about. Landing in the glass and has the barber washed his hands since the last John.

Comment

Bale's goal for RM is well seeing. Purity of technique.

Comment

Is September 'Recruitment Month' or something?

8 recruiters pestering me in last week, probably 5 months since my last encounter with the vultures.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

WCOOP Main Event down to 4.

Payouts are

1st - $1.62m
                                              2nd - $1.17m
                                              3rd - $848k
                                              4th - $612k

Guys in 3rd and 4th spot get it in with JJ v 88 and 88 gets there. Pretty sick when there's almost $250k swing in that spot.

The guy that has lead all FT and is now 2nd is a local over here and lives a couple of mins away from me so would like to see him take it down. He's tried to play the big stack bully but has bled a lot of chips though.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                Bale's goal for RM is well seeing. Purity of technique.
                                                Not going to google 'well seeing'. Learnt my lesson after finding dotard wasn't a new invention.
                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                  What a silly micromanaging constitution, as someone already said, if even the number of years you have to wait for a divorce is constitutionally mandated.

Is there something derogatory about women in the constitution that they need to fix? Have a vague feeling there's something about 'a women's place is in the home', but not sure if there's something else too.
                                                  In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.
                                                  The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home
                                                  Think that's the most of it.
                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

so I picked up a pretty good bargain on adverts today

Iphone 6 PLUS 64 GB, Otter box and screen protector on from day one for 380 from an ex Munster Rugby player.

yes Xmas has begun, 3 pay cheques left now till Dec
                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

What a silly micromanaging constitution, as someone already said, if even the number of years you have to wait for a divorce is constitutionally mandated.

Is there something derogatory about women in the constitution that they need to fix? Have a vague feeling there's something about 'a women's place is in the home', but not sure if there's something else too.
                                                      Legislating in the constitution is a TERRIBLE idea. Few bits need modernising but mostly its an excellent piece of drafting.
                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

The Alcohol companies, you do watch the TV don't you .
                                                        Well no, I don't really watch ads on TV.
                                                        With modern technology you don't have to watch ads. Adless subscription TV, free video streaming services and simply fast forwarding recorded TV, cuts out a lot of ads. And, as you are aware, I don't live in Ireland so any ads I do see are going to be completely different sds from what you guys see in Ireland.
                                                        Which is why I asked the question?

It was a serious question. Who is marketing to children? Throw up an example.
                                                        I can't imagine Guinness going after that underage drinking market.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

8 recruiters pestering me in last week, probably 5 months since my last encounter with the vultures.
                                                          There is like am employer fair right now in Dub.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                            Think that's the most of it.
                                                            And most women would prob love to spend more time with kids ....so it's bs. In places like Sweden they do more for parents than pay sexist lip service. Partic single parents.

Comment

Throw up an example.
                                                              Dunno about others ..but Guinness have an underage drink awareness campaign. But culture is hard to change really.

Comment

It's mandated by the electorate though. Divorce ref etc. So we are accountable.

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
                                                                  Yall need doke to come up in here to bitch slap some fools

Mm running is bad for me,

cheeseboards and keyboards is the key
                                                                  The above pictures are pretty misrepresentative of what was being discussed. For a start, that's an MRI of a triathlete. Triathalons =/= Ultrarunning. Most triathlons feature run sub-marathon distances. I think the stand distance includes a 10km run. Even a gruelling Ironman is much less of a strain than the top ultra distances.

Is running better than being sedantry? Obviously, and the pictures back that up. But better than nothing is not much tbh. Plus that doesn't mean the longer and further you run the better you are physically - which was the suggestion. I wouldn't be surprised if a study proves marathons and ultra offered no benefits over 5km's/10km's but increased certain risk factors - that study may or may not exist, I haven't looked.
                                                                  Also it's worth pointing out that while the triathlete at 70 appears to have lost no muscle mass, they aren't the same person 30 years apart. They are both equally lean, but what was the total lean mass?

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                                                                    Dunno about others ..but Guinness have an underage drink awareness campaign. But culture is hard to change really.
                                                                    I haven't seen this campaign, but sounds like that's the opposite of what was suggested?

Comment

I haven't seen this campaign, but sounds like that's the opposite of what was suggested?
                                                                      I am not suggesting alcohol is not marketed to kids. Alcohol etc. I haven't seen the Guinness thing either.

Underage drinking puts children and young people at increased risk of harm. Get the facts you need, from the law to how to talk about alcohol.

There is this. It challenges parents to realize they are role models and how to influence their kids in a positive way.

There is a story of twins identical in a family with alcohol abuse. One became as bad as his father the other did not ...when asked why they both said the same thing ...'because I saw my father'

Perception is everything. One brother saw the good times (and lets not lie their are good times ) the other saw the bad times ..the emotional damage and moreover was AFFECTED by that.

"Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I'll remember. Involve me, I'll understand''

It's important not to demonize drinkers or addicts. But more helpful if we understand.

Comment

I am not suggesting alcohol is not marketed to kids.
                                                                        I'm still not sure what you are saying due to the double negative.

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/about-u...rage-drinking/

There is this. It challenges parents to realize they are role models and how to influence their kids in a positive way.
                                                                        I'm not asking if underage exists or is a problem. I was asking about advertising. So I'm not sure what the relevance is. Looks to be just a virtue-tangent tbh.

There is a story of twins identical in a family with alcohol abuse. One became as bad as his father the other did not ...when asked why they both said the same thing ...'because I saw my father'
                                                                        Cool story

Comment

I was asking about advertising. So I'm not sure what the relevance is. Looks to be just a virtue-tangent tbh.

Cool story

Kids cartoons used to contain alcohol. Since the 1980s, regulations have tightened around what can and can't be pg.

Last edited by Guest; 27-09-17, 01:42.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                            You run from A to B in the most efficient fast time you can. No skill involved just physical exertion. Simples.
                                                                            Running fast is a skill.

Alcohol consumption is already down massively over the last few years. And as far as I can remember, studies show that advertising has little effect on alcohol consumption, it's more about brands competing for that consumption.

I agree. I think we'd be better off lowing the drinking age, and reducing the restrictions on drinking hours, and turn it into something that's more relaxed and normalised rather than something that has to be binged on during specific hours.
                                                                            I think you are remember the lie that tobacco companies propagated, that advertising was simply a way to increase market share - not to increase the total market size. This was a lie based on complicated statistics. You can read about it here http://www.nber.org/reporter/winter04/saffer.html

Relevant quote: The primary conclusion of this research is that a comprehensive set of tobacco advertising bans can reduce tobacco consumption

No booze in the SE too I'd presume. Special sectioned off areas in supermarkets for booze, pretty steep minimum pricing even though we already have some of the most expensive booze in Europe. The minimum pricing is crazy, just moves money from poor people to supermarkets.
                                                                            Are you sure about that?

Comment

And most women would prob love to spend more time with kids ....so it's bs. In places like Sweden they do more for parents than pay sexist lip service. Partic single parents.
                                                                              No they don't

Kids do your box in. They just fight with each other and wreck the house. Get the little bollix's into boarding school imo

*I may or may not have just gone through 3 full months of kids at home for the summer

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                Not going to google 'well seeing'. Learnt my lesson after finding dotard wasn't a new invention.
                                                                                the word 'worth' seems to have been removed by internet gremlins

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Yes

Comment

The above pictures are pretty misrepresentative of what was being discussed. For a start, that's an MRI of a triathlete. Triathalons =/= Ultrarunning. Most triathlons feature run sub-marathon distances. I think the stand distance includes a 10km run. Even a gruelling Ironman is much less of a strain than the top ultra distances.

Is running better than being sedantry? Obviously, and the pictures back that up. But better than nothing is not much tbh. Plus that doesn't mean the longer and further you run the better you are physically - which was the suggestion. I wouldn't be surprised if a study proves marathons and ultra offered no benefits over 5km's/10km's but increased certain risk factors - that study may or may not exist, I haven't looked.
                                                                                      Also it's worth pointing out that while the triathlete at 70 appears to have lost no muscle mass, they aren't the same person 30 years apart. They are both equally lean, but what was the total lean mass?
                                                                                      I would hazard a guess that distance training offers more long term benefits than speed training, ie 5k, 10k.

Distance training is predominantly aerobic, strengthening lung function and the heart muscle, whereas the shorter stuff is mostly anaerobic. Wear and tear is probably more pronounced in the longer stuff sure, but I would still think the benefits outweigh that.
                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                        anybody with a Samsung S8? The charger jack seems to be gone very flaky on me - wont charge a lot of the time, need to hold the base of the phone and cable certain way to get it to charge etc., anybody experiencing similar?
                                                                                        No issues here.

I also use a wireless charging pad in the office. Just leave the phone on the desk when working and it charges away.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                          Yes
                                                                                          One fella very keen for me to sack off my permanent employment and instead become self employed in order to take a 1 month contract at an exchange. 'they are desperate so we can charge good rates'

Eh, then what?

Comment

There's a lad in work who puts ellipses at the end of every sentence in his emails...
                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

It was largely written a hundred years ago (I think!) so its not surprising that its sexist. But good that we're updating it.
                                                                                              It's not really sexist at all. There's a brilliant article by a female constitutional writer (whose name utterly escapes me now) called "DeValera's Women" that points out that the 1937 constitution was extraordinarily forward thinking in its treatment of women. While some of the language is of its age, the structure was very much ahead of its time.

What negative outcome for women has occurred because of the drafting of the original constitution?

The entire reason the 8th amendment happened was because catholic reactionaries thought the constitution made room for a privacy right that would encompass a Roe v Wade style right to medical treatment for abortion. The 1937 constitution is powerfully pro-woman.
                                                                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                WCOOP Main Event down to 4.

Payouts are

1st - $1.62m
                                                                                                2nd - $1.17m
                                                                                                3rd - $848k
                                                                                                4th - $612k

Guys in 3rd and 4th spot get it in with JJ v 88 and 88 gets there. Pretty sick when there's almost $250k swing in that spot.

The guy that has lead all FT and is now 2nd is a local over here and lives a couple of mins away from me so would like to see him take it down. He's tried to play the big stack bully but has bled a lot of chips though.
                                                                                                Was out with a fella last night who knows the guy who.came 4th. Said he was an Irish lad
                                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                  There's a lad in work who puts ellipses at the end of every sentence in his emails...
                                                                                                  You work with luckforsome?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                      Was out with a fella last night who knows the guy who.came 4th. Said he was an Irish lad
                                                                                                      Guy who finished 4th was a Pocarr guy. They have a few Irish lads with them but he's not Irish himself.

Comment

Yeah less is more

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                          anybody with a Samsung S8? The charger jack seems to be gone very flaky on me - wont charge a lot of the time, need to hold the base of the phone and cable certain way to get it to charge etc., anybody experiencing similar?
                                                                                                          No such problems yet with the samsung but it happens on every phone eventually, on the samsung you have the option of using a wireless charger.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Are you sure about that?
                                                                                                            Which part?

Comment

Well no, I don't really watch ads on TV.
                                                                                                              With modern technology you don't have to watch ads. Adless subscription TV, free video streaming services and simply fast forwarding recorded TV, cuts out a lot of ads. And, as you are aware, I don't live in Ireland so any ads I do see are going to be completely different sds from what you guys see in Ireland.
                                                                                                              Which is why I asked the question?

It was a serious question. Who is marketing to children? Throw up an example.
                                                                                                              All of the big players, with most of their marketing particularly with their beer brands.

Look at the TV and online ad's and try to put yourself into the mind of a 12 - 17 year old watching them.

In as far as Denny's point about the main thrust of Alcohol marketing being to increase brand awareness, has some merit, who do you think a corporation who have been around for hundreds of years and will be around for hundreds more, would be focussing their branding at?

Its a bit like the story I told recently about a conversation I had with a rural publican who was bereft at the recent demise of two of his customers in recent months, " I've lost two eight pinters" the whole success of big Alcohol depends on creating generation after generation of eight pinters.

Comment

The debate about long distance running I think long distance runners as they get older look gross. Scrawny saggy skin they usually look miserable as well.

Comment

That's really interesting. Since starting running a few years ago, I'm up to about 100 5k runs but only about five or six more than 6k. I'm just not suited to anything longer than 5k; I actually think I'm probably not particularly suited to anything over 3k as I really fucking hate those last two kilometres

I'm sure that adding more 8k runs into the mix would make it all a bit easier but running for 30 minutes is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO god damn boring to me, even with music or a good podcast.

Actually doing a six-week Yoga for Runners course at the moment, to help stop my Achilles problems, and I admit to feeling very inadequate when the instructor went around the room asking people about their goals and typical runs. Most training the marathon of course (I don't think I could physically do it, seems like a horrendous experience to put yourself through, like climbing Everest or something!), when me and one other person shamefully admitted we mostly ran 5ks we got a pitying glance or two and the instructor kindly added 'oh... well every run counts'

Comment

It was largely written a hundred years ago (I think!) so its not surprising that its sexist. But good that we're updating it.
                                                                                                                    It's basically 1 proper issue and a lot of house keeping.

It should be one real referendum on abortion and then a second day when all the minor stuff is sorted out so as to avoid muddying the waters.

Who can really vote against making the seanaid useful, rewording where a women's place is or blasphemy. Potentially people will care about 16 year olds voting, not sure I really do either way.

Will go for the main event but the second joke referendum probably just head home after work instead despite being about 5 mins from the station. Democracy at work - apathy is a valid choice.

Comment

All of the big players, with most of their marketing particularly with their beer brands.

Look at the TV and online ad's and try to put yourself into the mind of a 12 - 17 year old watching them.

In as far as Denny's point about the main thrust of Alcohol marketing being to increase brand awareness, has some merit, who do you think a corporation who have been around for hundreds of years and will be around for hundreds more, would be focussing their branding at?

Its a bit like the story I told recently about a conversation I had with a rural publican who was bereft at the recent demise of two of his customers in recent months, " I've lost two eight pinters" the whole success of big Alcohol depends on creating generation after generation of eight pinters.
                                                                                                                      How do you suggest they make ads that they want to appeal to 21 year olds and the likes, without it appealing to 16 year olds?

Thanks purpose of marketing is to sell stuff. Do you think an ad should consist of a picture of a can on a plain background with a voice over saying something like "buy Heineken, we make beer for adults only" and that be the ad?

Comment

stranger things soundtrack is good for work:

Women will be driving in Saudi Arabia next year https://english.alarabiya.net/en/New...for-women.html

What next, something ridiculous like their place not being in the home?!

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X