Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 is a bit of a trick question.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
      I have never heard of the Hanseatic league. Didn't help when guessing wildly. I couldn't even make an educated guess. Obviously.
      Sorry.

It was a Baltic thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
        Since UK is generally 4/5 days behind Ireland, I may have to buy 3/4 weeks worth of wine from Aldi this weekend. Delivered Weds/Thurs. Be grand.
        Do Aldi have their own delivery service on the mainland, or is it a middleman? Pretty much restricted to Tesco and Supervalu over here.
        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
          My front door isn't bolted shut from the outside.

Leo laughed it off again tonight when asked that question.

It's not a full lockdown and it will never be a full lockdown.
          Construction is gonna be interesting.
          Sounds like an open goal to bin it off but the downstream impact both financially and politically will be huge.
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              SPOILER
              Right name. But you got the son, it was the father.
              Ah ok, I thought the mad one was around from the start but maybe the number should be giving it away.

I feel like there are such gaps that should be plugged.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Friend of mine coined it well.

If leadership is the ability to let your supporters down, in amounts they can handle...then Leo Varadkar is truly showing leadership. He’s not just minding the shop, not just being a custodian, he is edging us out of our comfort zones in degrees that we can bear with a view to moving us from where we are now to where we need to be. He’s doing well.

Comment

That quiz was inspired by me asking the kids did they want to go on holiday.

Enthusiastic response. So I told them to pull down the big atlas and choose a destination each. Then I told them all about the wonderful history, cuisine, culture and fun stuff of that place. Some of these facts may have been slightly embellished.

I fear if they ever get to Ecuador, they will find it not to be quite the paradise I painted. Still, 30 minutes killed.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                      Do Aldi have their own delivery service on the mainland, or is it a middleman? Pretty much restricted to Tesco and Supervalu over here.
                      Hermes (aka, any old random soul).

Buy 6+ bottles and delivery is free.

You can't beat that.

Comment

- Healthcare and Public Health
                        - Social care
                        - Public and Civil Service personnel
                        - Utilities such as Irish Water and ESB
                        - The production and delivery of necessary goods such as food and medicine
                        - Financial services
                        - Transport
                        - Communications including the media, An Post and telecommunications

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                          Construction is gonna be interesting.
                          Sounds like an open goal to bin it off but the downstream impact both financially and politically will be huge.
                          Election already happened dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                            Friend of mine coined it well.

If leadership is the ability to let your supporters down, in amounts they can handle...then Leo Varadkar is truly showing leadership. He’s not just minding the shop, not just being a custodian, he is edging us out of our comfort zones in degrees that we can bear with a view to moving us from where we are now to where we need to be. He’s doing well.
                            So well that 80% of us just voted to kick him out.

Comment

Up until now I've never been bothered by that 3rd Km. Now I feel suffocated by the restriction. Rathcoole or Celbridge the promised land.

Comment

Answers within:

Euro-trivia:

SPOILER
                                1. How many countries does the Danube flow through? 10
                                2. How many European Commissioners are there? 27
                                3. Which city did the Popes reside in from 1309-1376? Avignon
                                4. What is the capital of Turkish Cyprus? North Nicosia
                                5. What was the capital of the Hanseatic League? Lubeck
                                6. What year did the EEC become the EU? 1993
                                7. Name the seven current states that previously made up Yugoslavia. Serbia, Croatia, Sloviena, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Bosnia
                                8. Who was named as the first Emperor of the unified Germany in 1871? William I
                                9. Which country has won the most Eurovisions? Ireland!
                                10. What are the official languages of Switzerland? French, German, Italian, Romansh

Comment

The Watchmen TV series is brilliant. Nice to have the time to binge.
                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                    I know you're ploughing a lonely furrow with a lot of your positions and I don't want this to seem confrontational, but as a genuine question....Do you believe that the 15 minutes at < 2m criteria for infection is wrong, and if so is there any evidence? Following on from that, what percentage of such interactions do you think were eradicated from measures taken on March 12th, then taken during Leo's last speech, and what do you thing that number will be from tomorrow on?

As an aside here's my brother talking to Eamonn Dunphy about Sweden's approach: https://soundcloud.com/thestandwithe...troubled-world
                                    Well to the first part, there is evidence that fomites play their part in transmitting the disease. There are only initial studies on this mind, but it tallies with viability of SARs. Additionally, the 15 minute within 2m makes sense, but let’s be honest - if a sick person coughs in your vicinity and you inhale the aerosols you’re getting it.

So far the only country that has reduced community transmission to 0 new cases is the one country to impose a full lockdown at the point of a gun. It’s an inconvenient truth, that I understand, but it’s the reality of the matter.

Our new case rate on a daily basis is well short of the 30% growth rate modelled without intervention. But it’s still 15% or more on a daily basis, so it makes sense to do more. And if we’re less than the models of growth absent of intervention surely that answers your question?
                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Anyone want to start some crystal ball gazing as to what happens on the other side?
                                      My initial ones
                                      The money won’t be there for the little man
                                      The EU powerhouses will say drop dead to the weak countries

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                        Anyone want to start some crystal ball gazing as to what happens on the other side?
                                        My initial ones
                                        I will keep practicing social distancing for life. Absolutely loving it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                          Election already happened dude.
                                          people have been getting elected for generations for fixing the roads
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Leo is 10/11 to be the next Taoiseach (was 2/1 a few days ago and alot longer prior to that)

Is it essentially free money? Surely if a government needs to be formed very shortly Micheal can't take the reigns with the situation as it is

Comment

My initial ones
                                              Blame game leads to international disputes.

Comment

I seriously regret getting the good beer in now. Six bottles in and I'm mouldy again but now I've a taste for the good stuff and I'll be back to feckin peroni or something once I skull the other six.

On the upside I'm very glad I bought a turbo trainer.

Comment

My initial ones
                                                  I don’t see the EU doing that, or the Euro coming unstuck or whatever. The effects here are broad and touch everyone. I think we’ll see a co - ordinated ECB response and a willingness to do things they were unable to get agreement on in 2008. The U.K. being out helps with that.

I think China could come out of this best and potentially could take a much greater primacy in currency markets. I think we will see inflation again, though not in a doomsday Germany post world war 1 way - but enough to pinch pockets in the Eurozone. I could see a drastic re-evaluation of work practices and a very fundamental reassessment of role types and value add in large businesses. Finally I think the word will become a little more insular, nationalistic and less globalised for a generation. But this is obviously high level spitballing. We have no idea how bad things might get or how long this crisis may stay with us.
                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                    I seriously regret getting the good beer in now. Six bottles in and I'm mouldy again but now I've a taste for the good stuff and I'll be back to feckin peroni or something once I skull the other six.

On the upside I'm very glad I bought a turbo trainer.
                                                    White Hag delivery arrived at 4pm today. A quarter of my mix and match crate gone over the course of an enjoyable zoom chat. The Hazy IPA a new favourite.

You’re gonna have to cut yourself off at one nice beer the next few days. Fill the holes with swill.

Comment

If you've missed Ken Burns' documentaries (PBS) on Netflix, this seems as good a time as ever to catch up.

The American Civil War one is moving, even to complete and utter novices.

This is one of the theme songs, and it is hauntingly different and horribly sad in the documentary, but it has burned itself into my mind, and will forever be associated with any and all thoughts of that era.

"Ashokan Farewell"The Civil WarMusic from the film by Ken BurnsMusic composed & performed by Jay Ungar

edit: found the one...

ashokan Farewell, jay ungar, molly mason, paul woodiel, mike merenda, perspectives ensemble, americana, fiddle music, fiddle, fiddling, bluegrass, Appalachian, appalachian music, mountain, music
                                                      Last edited by Emmet; 28-03-20, 00:21.

Comment

They’re top notch. He makes history very human and relatable.

The Vietnam one is exceptional, excavates all the complexities around the conflict and makes it easy to understand.

Comment

Superb rendition.

One of my best friends' fathers went to sleep this week and never woke up. It's a dream exit for most of us, but far too early for his dad.

He'd have loved this.

Fear uasal.

Last edited by Emmet; 28-03-20, 00:30.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                            Well to the first part, there is evidence that fomites play their part in transmitting the disease. There are only initial studies on this mind, but it tallies with viability of SARs. Additionally, the 15 minute within 2m makes sense, but let’s be honest - if a sick person coughs in your vicinity and you inhale the aerosols you’re getting it.

So far the only country that has reduced community transmission to 0 new cases is the one country to impose a full lockdown at the point of a gun. It’s an inconvenient truth, that I understand, but it’s the reality of the matter.

Our new case rate on a daily basis is well short of the 30% growth rate modelled without intervention. But it’s still 15% or more on a daily basis, so it makes sense to do more. And if we’re less than the models of growth absent of intervention surely that answers your question?
                                                            This is what bothers me about the various approaches (UK, US, IOM, Ireland) that I predominantly follow. Each government takes the model projections and attempts to reduce the number of deaths it predicts in the measured effect on the economy instead on the approach of how do we save as many citizens lives as possible. Their own counter argument to this would be that potentially the detriment to those economies being completely destroyed is too great the balancing act.

Ireland, seems to me, has been on the better side of this throughout - without taking the all out approach that some of the Asian countries, correctly, did so ... especially in contrast to US and UK policies.

Comment

Does anybody know how many ventilators we have in Ireland?

When we talk about ICU capacity specifically for Covid-19 are we talking (like NY's Cuomo outlines) about recovery beds with ventilators or are we talking about ICU beds as we would have defined them before Covid-19?

Whats different about a Covid-19 ICU is that everybody has the same sickness so I would imagine the criteria for a Covid-19 ICU is lower than a standard ICU. Am I being too simplistic here?

I guess I'm wondering if we get 1000 ventilators does that increase our Covid-19 ICU beds by 1000 if we have a recovery bed for each of them?
                                                              Last edited by TM2204; 28-03-20, 01:05.

Comment

This is how to cover a song;

Matt Andersen sings "I'm On Fire" at the Pearl Theatre in Lunenburg NS. Oct 16 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by TM2204 View Post

When we talk about ICU capacity specifically for Covid-19 are we talking (like NY's Cuomo outlines) about recovery beds with ventilators or are we talking about ICU beds as we would have defined them before Covid-19?

Whats different about a Covid-19 ICU is that everybody has the same sickness so I would imagine the criteria for a Covid-19 ICU is lower than a standard ICU. Am I being too simplistic here?

I guess I'm wondering if we get 1000 ventilators does that increase our Covid-19 ICU beds by 1000 if we have a 'bed' for each of them?
                                                                  A gap is the trained staff to be able to manage those “beds”.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                                                                    A gap is the trained staff to be able to manage those “beds”.
                                                                    So is that the bottleneck to increasing our Covid-19 ICU beds?

Comment

I guess I'm wondering if we get 1000 ventilators does that increase our Covid-19 ICU beds by 1000 if we have a recovery bed for each of them?
                                                                      It's not 'proper' ICU unless there's a 1 to 1 ratio of staff to patient at all times. Correct equipment is obviously important but the 100% continual presence of a dedicated medic per patient is a key-part of what defines it as ICU.

If you have less staff then it becomes a HDU (High Dependency Unit). It can still be an incredible level of medical care but it's not ICU.

You are probably correct in that if multiple people in ICU have covid19 there'll be a logical case for reducing staff below the normal ratio.

Comment

There's probably a few hundred ventilators, there's hundreds more on the way and they're made here. Oxygen is bottled up here too.

Making an ICU ward is the easy bit. Staffing it is the hard bit. At least 1 nurse per bed 24/7 and a team of prob couple of docs and a boss for every prob 10 beds? It's gona be messy.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                          It's not 'proper' ICU unless there's a 1 to 1 ratio of staff to patient at all times. Correct equipment is obviously important but the 100% continual presence of a dedicated medic per patient is a key-part of what defines it as ICU.
                                                                          Pretty sure the ICU in James St had at least 2 staff per patient when I was there 2 years ago. Of couirse I was unconcious for more than 24 hours, and off my balls on morphine, so I'm hardly a reliable witness. Though I was there for 8 nights as opposed to the normal 2 so I did see more than most patients.
                                                                          On the one occassion when someone went into cardiac arrest, and the alarm on, there were more than 3 to 1 there within about 10 seconds, crash cart moved over etc.
                                                                          Last edited by ComradeCollie; 28-03-20, 03:48.

Comment

So my nephew in Maine is all growed up. His parents adopted him from an orphanage in Kazakhstan back in the day. He's so not a bit like his adoptive parents.

Comment

Originally posted by New Restrictions View Post
                                                                              Essential retail outlets

1. Retail and wholesale sale of food, beverages and newspapers in non-specialised and specialised stores

2. Retail sale of household consumer products necessary to maintain the safety and sanitation of residences and businesses

3. Pharmacies/Chemists and retailers providing pharmaceuticals, pharmaceutical or dispensing services

4. Retail sale of selling medical and orthopaedic goods in specialised stores

5. Fuel stations and heating fuel providers

6. Retail sale of essential items for the health and welfare of animals, including animal feed and medicines, animal food, pet food and animal supplies including bedding

7. Laundries and Drycleaners

8. Banks, Post Offices and Credit Unions

9. Retail sale of safety supply stores (work clothes, Personal Protective Equipment, for example)

Offer emergency call-out or delivery services
                                                                              It is recognised that there may be emergency needs arising in a number of areas, the following retailers who can offer an emergency call-out or delivery service can continue to operate on that basis ONLY:

1.opticians/optometrists

2. retailers involved in the repair of motor vehicles, motorcycles and bicycle repair and related facilities (tyre sales and repairs for example)

3.hardware stores, builder’s merchants and stores that provide hardware products necessary for home and business maintenance, sanitation and farm equipment, supplies and tools essential for gardening/farming/agriculture

4. retail sale of office products and services for individuals working from home and for businesses
                                                                              retailers providing electrical, IT and phone sales, repair and maintenance services for home.

Comment

Interview with the Head of Chinas Disease Prevention & Control: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...scientist-says

He's an expert on the structure of viruses so touches on seasonality too.

Few key bits:

SPOILER
                                                                                The big mistake in the U.S. and Europe, in my opinion, is that people aren’t wearing masks. This virus is transmitted by droplets and close contact. Droplets play a very important role—you’ve got to wear a mask, because when you speak, there are always droplets coming out of your mouth. Many people have asymptomatic or presymptomatic infections. If they are wearing face masks, it can prevent droplets that carry the virus from escaping and infecting others.

How stable this virus is in the environment. Because it’s an enveloped virus, people think it’s fragile and particularly sensitive to surface temperature or humidity. But from both U.S. results and Chinese studies, it looks like it’s very resistant to destruction on some surfaces. It may be able to survive in many environments. We need to have science-based answers here.

From the very beginning, everybody thought the origin was the market. Now, I think the market could be the initial place, or it could be a place where the virus was amplified. So that’s a scientific question. There are two possibilities.

Remdivisir data will be available next month

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                  So full lockdown.

Wish we’d done it earlier, but hopefully better late than never.
                                                                                  Far from full, our place will be staying open, around 500+ daily coming and going, lots more factories in the Limerick area will be doing the same, using the "essential" line. Essential to their bottom line, certainly not essential to aiding in the covid crisis. We were told last night wont be affecting us, I will head to bed now after working last night to see if anything changes later, doubt it though.

Easily have nearly 5k people unnecessary traveling and interacting across the county all for profit.

I really hope they come out this morning with a proper list, companies are taking advantage claiming to be medically essential.

I am sure the American chamber of commerce has a pretty vocal lobby group when it comes to DFI, lets hope Leo has the balls to tell them cop the fuck on.
                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

It's genuinely mind-blowing how fundamentally broken America is now.

Comment

The Reuter is very good. Talks in an earthy and easy to understand way.

Comment

Potential option for 6Star & Laz

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                          Far from full, our place will be staying open, around 500+ daily coming and going, lots more factories in the Limerick area will be doing the same, using the "essential" line. Essential to their bottom line, certainly not essential to aiding in the covid crisis. We were told last night wont be affecting us, I will head to bed now after working last night to see if anything changes later, doubt it though.

Easily have nearly 5k people unnecessary traveling and interacting across the county all for profit.

I really hope they come out this morning with a proper list, companies are taking advantage claiming to be medically essential.

I am sure the American chamber of commerce has a pretty vocal lobby group when it comes to DFI, lets hope Leo has the balls to tell them cop the fuck on.
                                                                                          I work in the same industry as you. Contact lens manufacture and we are using the essential medical device loophole too. We are at 100% capacity and no chance of slowing. They sent an email around the other day to say if someone gets it on shift they will lockdown the area for a day, deep clean and back in again Money hungry fuckers
                                                                                          Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Beautiful morning out. I say a lot of people will want to go out today.
                                                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                                              I work in the same industry as you. Contact lens manufacture and we are using the essential medical device loophole too. We are at 100% capacity and no chance of slowing. They sent an email around the other day to say if someone gets it on shift they will lockdown the area for a day, deep clean and back in again Money hungry fuckers
                                                                                              You could see this coming from around 3 weeks ago when they stopped referring to the end user as a customer...now they are patients.
                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Perimeter breach alert. Man spotted beyond the Newcastle 2k boundary line. White cap red Liverpool Jersey . Take him down Boys

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                  this happened like 12 months or ago or at least during the summer

Comment

It's funny how countries stereotypes seem to be heavily correlated towards how they're managing the spread. Places like China or Germany which would be noted as being fairly disciplined and a bit subservient are handling it best. Countries where people are famed for being impassioned or vibrant seem to be the worst affected. The warning messages are largely the same in all countries but habits of a lifetime seem to be having a massive baring on how well its received.
                                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                      It's funny how countries stereotypes seem to be heavily correlated towards how they're managing the spread. Places like China or Germany which would be noted as being fairly disciplined and a bit subservient are handling it best. Countries where people are famed for being impassioned or vibrant seem to be the worst affected. The warning messages are largely the same in all countries but habits of a lifetime seem to be having a massive baring on how well its received.
                                                                                                      May sound insensitive, but as a counterpoint, the people dying in the "impassioned or vibrant" countries probably got more out of life.
                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                                        The Reuter is very good. Talks in an earthy and easy to understand way.
                                                                                                        He did a good interview with Gary Lineker during the week. Unfortunately Gary couldn't work Skype so the audio turned out a bit shit.

Comment

Vodafone are sound.

Still no proper broadband in the house so working from sis-in-laws the past few weeks, that's gone now so needed to sort something.

Contacted them and they tripled my mobile tower data limit in a few minutes. They said, even in the event you reach the limit, they'd sort me out.

Also reduced my bill by 5e, can't beat that.

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                                                                                            It's genuinely mind-blowing how fundamentally broken America is now.
                                                                                                            I'm only surprised that anyone would be surprised by that?
                                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Only took a countrywide lockdown to finally get the wife gambling after 21 years.

Currently watching Magic TV who are doing 9 hours of all the No 1s of the 90's. The song caption doesnt appear for about 10 seconds so there's a toffiepop for each 1st correct answer

Playing the long game early here and letting her scorch into the lead before upping stakes....

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                Perimeter breach alert. Man spotted beyond the Newcastle 2k boundary line. White cap red Liverpool Jersey . Take him down Boys
                                                                                                                Went for a 12k run this morn, keeping within the 2km limit. Got a real disapproving tut tut shake of the head from a motorist.

May have to head out at 4am. Can't just stop running.
                                                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Zoom and Poker with the lads is great Craic. Someone in here said one thing it has done has press the reset button on this thread. Also on so many WhatsApp loops and others. Small positives.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Silver-Tiger; 28-03-20, 11:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                    Went for a 12k run this morn, keeping within the 2km limit. Got a real disapproving tut tut shake of the head from a motorist.

May have to head out at 4am. Can't just stop running.
                                                                                                                    Fuck sake Conor. Thought you would have more cop on. Brief individual exercise.

Comment

Primavera postponed til the end of August. Seems optimistic given how bad things are in Spain

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                                        Fuck sake Conor. Thought you would have more cop on. Brief individual exercise.
                                                                                                                        12K is somewhere around 50 mins for Lazare, much the same amount of time as most people would take for a 'walk to the park with the dog and back' exercise. I don't see a problem with it.

I'll be doing a similar time run in a while, albeit sadly it won't be 12K.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                                          Primavera postponed til the end of August. Seems optimistic given how bad things are in Spain
                                                                                                                          Did they announce anything about Primavera Sound Nos in Porto yet?

Have already resigned myself to the fact it won't go ahead but haven't seen anything official on it yet.

Had that lined up followed by a few days drinking wine along the Douro.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X