Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can take the man from a halting site but you can't fix a pikey.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
      You can take the man from a halting site but you can't fix a pikey.
      Hes still in the halting site.

Comment

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Conor got this
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
          Hes still in the halting site.
          But he leaves it to do all his white privilege stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            It is reckoned to be the hallmark of a good debater, to be able to eloquently hold forth in defence of something you absolutely do not believe in.

I'm sure Kayroo has some legalistic take on it, in fact I'm sure you must take classes in it?
            This explains it pretty well. I think it's a hallmark of a mature mind to be able to put aside ones own views to pursue an objective once the purpose of doing so has some overall value.

The classic example all lawyers get is "how do you defend a rapist that you KNOW is guilty?". Leaving aside that there are rules about how one defends a client who admits his guilt to you but wishes to plead not guilty, it is worth considering the circumstances where a lawyer simply thinks or believes their client is guilty.

In those circumstances are we to remove the role of the jury? To stand as the ultimate arbiter of the client's fate? Our role is no more than to ensure the accused gets a fair trial and that his case is put as forcefully as the rules allow. Our belief does not come into it. The ability to make such an argument is a skill and one that is derided for the most part. Personally I think it is one of the most admirable and difficult tasks a person could ever be asked to undertake.

As ever, there's a good clip from Yes, Minister on point.

From Yes Minister Series 3 Episode 6 "The Whisky Priest"."Bernard, I have served eleven governments in the past thirty years. If I had believed in all their ...
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
              This explains it pretty well. I think it's a hallmark of a mature mind to be able to put aside ones own views to pursue an objective once the purpose of doing so has some overall value.

The classic example all lawyers get is "how do you defend a rapist that you KNOW is guilty?". Leaving aside that there are rules about how one defends a client who admits his guilt to you but wishes to plead not guilty, it is worth considering the circumstances where a lawyer simply thinks or believes their client is guilty.

In those circumstances are we to remove the role of the jury? To stand as the ultimate arbiter of the client's fate? Our role is no more than to ensure the accused gets a fair trial and that his case is put as forcefully as the rules allow. Our belief does not come into it. The ability to make such an argument is a skill and one that is derided for the most part. Personally I think it is one of the most admirable and difficult tasks a person could ever be asked to undertake.
              What are the rules?
              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Wonder does Pearce Doherty fancy giving the December budget as much now?

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                  What are the rules?
                  You cannot, in any way, explicitly state that your client did not do it. You cannot assert that he is innocent of the crime. You can only put the evidence to the test and see whether the State has satisfied the required evidential burdens.

It is actually the purest thing we do in an odd way. We stop representing the client in a way and instead we take up a role ensuring that the system is kept honest and that all due process was followed and the evidence stacks up.

It is an exceptionally difficult thing to do. It usually helps to remember that people confess to crimes that they did not commit all the time. So even if they did confess to you, it may well be that they are still not telling the truth.

Comment

Jesus, if you thought John Connors speech was bad, McGregors is additionally grim.

Even though he posted it today, I think it's unfair on Tuesday speeches to refer to it as a Tuesday speech.

Comment

So you would't have any qualms or reservations about defending the likes of Graham Dwyre, Weinstein or OJ, to the extent that you would exploit any known weakness in the system to get them off?
                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                        Jesus, if you thought John Connors speech was bad, McGregors is additionally grim.

Even though he posted it today, I think it's unfair on Tuesday speeches to refer to it as a Tuesday speech.
                        Cringed to much to get to the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                          So you would't have any qualms or reservations about defending the likes of Graham Dwyre, Weinstein or OJ, to the extent that you would exploit any known weakness in the system to get them off?
                          Exploit a weakness in the system? The choice of language does somewhat giveaway your point of view.

I would have no qualms defending them by putting the State to prove their case. If the State can't prove it to convince a jury then guilty or not, the person should not go to prison.

In a time when the State is expanding its powers to an unprecedented degree I presume you can see the merit in that? Graham Dwyer is the only useful example there by the way, the US system is an absolute clown car.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                            Cringed to much to get to the end.
                            Consider yourself very, very lucky.

Comment

We have a 90-day SPR although about 1/3 of that is stored abroad. Commercial entities would have about the same again in storage.

Comment

Manu Dibango dead at 86 from the Covid.

Cruel way for a pioneering horn-blower to have his last breath robbed.

His influence on the funk should never be underestimated!

http://www.realhiphopforever.com A classic funk we use to break to Soul Makossa - Manu Dibango

Comment

Some assistance please.

My wife is turning 40 on Saturday. I had planned a few days of a culinary trip to Northern Ireland to celebrate but that’s been cancelled.

So as an alternative plan I’ve ordered a projector and screen for outdoor movies as she loves the cinema. Now she knows that I’ve done this and I’m going to setup a fire pit and a comfy seating arrangement and a movie for Saturday afternoon/evening as a bit of a low key family celebration. Plus it’ll be fun as the long evenings come in and we get bored in lockdown.

What I’d like some help with is stitching together a number of photos and video birthday wishes from friends and family into a secret little video montage for her before I put the movie on. So can someone recommend a simple movie/video software editing package to simply stitch all the messages together and maybe put a music soundtrack over it? Any suggestions welcome.
                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Can he actually get any worse bar trying to nuke Covid?

Comment

Tuesdays with Morrie doesnt sound like a good book after all. Deffo gives off a bad example . Should be renamed Skyping with Morrie .

Tuesday book ?

Comment

Exploit a weakness in the system? The choice of language does somewhat giveaway your point of view.

I would have no qualms defending them by putting the State to prove their case. If the State can't prove it to convince a jury then guilty or not, the person should not go to prison.

In a time when the State is expanding its powers to an unprecedented degree I presume you can see the merit in that? Graham Dwyer is the only useful example there by the way, the US system is an absolute clown car.
                                        I guess the Data Retention stuff in the case Dwyer might be seen as an exploit vector, for example.

Refreshing that you admit to some legal systems being gravely impaired.

So no qualms about no win no fee, where you might stand to personally gain from the outcome?

No qualms about one affluent side having a premier league team and the other having a Sunday league side?

No qualms about getting stuck into an alleged victim of sexual assault akin to what happened in the Belfast rape trial.

Don't get me wrong. I respect your profession and those working in it and appreciate, to a small degree, the challenges you face.

I just get a little uneasy when words like 'admirable', 'honest' and 'pure' are associated with legal practitioners, like most of the general public. Where do you think this poor perception of lawyers comes from?

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post

This is clearly the work of a man who declares emergencies before anyone else.

Comment

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Can't even attempt to make an excuse for that. Absolutely shocking.

Comment

Can't even attempt to make an excuse for that. Absolutely shocking.
                                                The amount of people who are needlessly going to die as a result of his actions and Boris too.

It takes probably 3 weeks to get through to everyone with consistent messaging and eventual social shaming for non compliance.

The UK are fucked because they have only started where we were 2 weeks ago from a messaging point of view. They have no control over it and dealing with a massive population difference too.

The states is going to get so out of control that they could be looking at close to a million deaths when they can’t cope with influx of people needing ventilators.

I hope I’m wrong
                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Fucking Hell. As one comment said - should really stop broadcasting what he says

Comment

Up 18% today. Are we doing fairly well?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                      I just get a little uneasy when words like 'admirable', 'honest' and 'pure' are associated with legal practitioners, like most of the general public. Where do you think this poor perception of lawyers comes from?
                                                      I'll deal with each of your points one-by-one but just on this. Almost every case has a loser and a winner. If there's been evidence given then a person may have been subject to a tough cross-examination. Necessarily this leads to a certain degree of animosity with the other side's lawyer. So people often dislike at least one legal practitioner in any case. If you lose the case then you might end up disliking both practitioners. When you get the bill, even more so. There's not much love for my profession mostly because it's not a very lovable thing to do.

The Data Retention stuff in the case Dwyer might be seen as an exploit vector, for example.

I don't want to comment too much on an ongoing case but, in the abstract, there must be rules governing the collection and use of evidence. This is an entirely new area and the conviction was obtained in part based on some fairly new uses of technology. I don't think it's an "exploit" to query the legality of that and, of course, the consequences of any illegality. That is a component of a fair trial, to which he and every other citizen is entitled.

Refreshing that you admit to some legal systems being gravely impaired.

I'm not a huge fan of the North Korean one either. There are Innocence Projects all over the world because we get it wrong too much as it is. No legal practitioner in their right mind would ever claim the system is perfect. That's an unattainable standard. The question has to be, is it safe?

So no qualms about no win no fee, where you might stand to personally gain from the outcome?

If it increases access to justice for the less well-off then I do not see the issue. Lawyers always have a personal stake in the outcome of a case. If a barrister loses maybe the solicitor stops briefing them or maybe they won't get paid or maybe another solicitor saw the case and will think badly of them. Nobody thinking in those short term ways ever survives. And the term is misleading anyway. It's just an acceptance of a reality that your client can never pay you anyway so if you don't win you won't get paid. Accepting that at the outset just gives the client some comfort that they're not exposed to your costs if they lose, just the other side's costs.

No qualms about one affluent side having a premier league team and the other having a Sunday league side?

Doesn't happen in criminal law. Legal aid gets you the best available. All the very best do both prosecution and defence from time to time. In civil law there's no legal aid and I do have an issue with that to be honest but that's a policy issue as much as anything and not really a lawyer issue. Also you cannot criticise no foal no fee and also say that people without means should have access to better lawyers. How do you think that happens without no foal no fee?

No qualms about getting stuck into an alleged victim of sexual assault akin to what happened in the Belfast rape trial.

Not how I would have done it. And rape trials are an outlier in the legal world because the system of adversarial examination of evidence really does not properly account for the horrors that visits on the victims of sexual assault. Which is why so many legal scholars and lawyers are working on ways to make it better. I really hope they find a way.

However, until they do, everyone deserves to test the evidence of their accuser and while it's deeply unpopular to do it - lawyers have an obligation to put their client's version of events to a defendant. They must do so with absolutely no regard for the impact it could have on them personally. Sometimes lawyers go too far with that in my view, but I think they do it in pursuit of an acceptable goal.

Comment

Fucking Hell. As one comment said - should really stop broadcasting what he says
                                                        Yet when they do, everyone who hates him shares the footage for those who would never watch such channels just to go "oh fuck that's crazy" every single time, and maybe bink a viral tweet, It's as strange.
                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                            SPR?
                                                            Tonights quiz?

I'm going to with "Storage Petroleum Reserves"

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                              Tonights quiz?

I'm going to with "Storage Petroleum Reserves"
                                                              Strategic ?
                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Quiz?
                                                                Last edited by DeadParrot; 24-03-20, 21:58.
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Yeah, Strategic sounds much better.
                                                                    Reckon the other two words are certainties anyway.

Comment

The Californian Govener has announced that he expects 56% of Calfornians to be infected within the next 8 weeks, that's around 25 million people.

Not sure where/how he is getting those figures from (what modelling etc is being used) but that is absolutely staggering.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                        Up 18% today. Are we doing fairly well?
                                                                        Yes, we are doing quite well. If we continue on an 18% growth rate until the end of the month we'll finish somewhere around the 4.3k cases from a projected 15k.

We have tested 18k people with approx 7.3% confirmed. Based on the SK numbers we want to get that around 2.5% but we're trending in right direction.

SK have tested 320k people since Jan 20th, we have tested 18k since Feb 29th, proportionally that equates to around 190k tests.

Again it's not necessarily linear, 70% of cases concentrated in one region of SK representing 5% of their population but we're still ramping up.

Looking to countries with similar resources, demographics and timeline so Norway(3 days ahead) 2,779 cases with 12 deaths and Denmark(2 days ahead) 1,591 cases with 32 deaths.

Lots of room to improve on speed on testing but we're managing things well it appears.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                          Filling Stations are busy. I expect Diesel/Petrol is one of the last things we will run short of given reduced demand presently and that we would have several weeks supply in the country at any one time.. But that got me thinking, what sort of volume of stock is held onshore? If the boats stopped coming how ling would we be good for?
                                                                          I don't think it's a problem with supply. Though I would ration it in order to reduce the amount of fannying about by the general public. You should be able to purchase whatever amount you need for work/shopping/required journeys + a margin for emergencies. Just should be difficult to go on recreational journeys (within reason). May not be necessary at all, and would be difficult to administer.

Comment

Its natural gas we need to worry about

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                              Its natural gas we need to worry about
                                                                              Yeah. God knows how Putie is thinking of taking advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                Yeah. God knows how Putie is thinking of taking advantage.
                                                                                Its not so much that as opposed to the operators of various distribution nodes getting sick and unable to staff the units

Kinsale was due to be shut down this month, but was told to keep going at any cost
                                                                                Last edited by newbie2; 24-03-20, 22:24.

Comment

HSE with it's own John Hopkins Dashboard: https://geohive.maps.arcgis.com/apps...18d8e53df82e96

Comment

Literally the first thing that Hitch's maternity consultant said on TV was hugely wrong.

Comment

Other consultant says we've the same age profile as Italy. 9 YEARS difference in median age. These are super seniors doctors

Comment

...
                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Anyone else getting alot of database errors? New BBV time?

Comment

Anyone else getting alot of database errors? New BBV time?
                                                                                            Yeah, just cleared browsing data there and it fixed it.
                                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                HSE with it's own John Hopkins Dashboard: https://geohive.maps.arcgis.com/apps...18d8e53df82e96
                                                                                                Am I reading that right that there's 3x babies confirmed cases here? 22x under 14?

Thought I read that there were a total of 9x less than 1 year olds in China.

My 2 year old has been coughing a bit the last couple of days, no temperature or anything, or any other symptoms but a little worried nonetheless.
                                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

She quoted a 1.5x daily growth rate as fact and then made some scary projections of case numbers off it. So poor on national TV. As with you, my knowledge of the physics of anything other than my areas of teaching and research is embarrassing.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                    As with you, my knowledge of the physics of anything other than my areas of teaching and research is embarrassing.
                                                                                                    It's the same with most people. Unless your lecturing freshers it's unusual to remember the basics.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                          Yes, we are doing quite well. If we continue on an 18% growth rate until the end of the month we'll finish somewhere around the 4.3k cases from a projected 15k.

We have tested 18k people with approx 7.3% confirmed. Based on the SK numbers we want to get that around 2.5% but we're trending in right direction.

SK have tested 320k people since Jan 20th, we have tested 18k since Feb 29th, proportionally that equates to around 190k tests.

Again it's not necessarily linear, 70% of cases concentrated in one region of SK representing 5% of their population but we're still ramping up.

Looking to countries with similar resources, demographics and timeline so Norway(3 days ahead) 2,779 cases with 12 deaths and Denmark(2 days ahead) 1,591 cases with 32 deaths.

Lots of room to improve on speed on testing but we're managing things well it appears.
                                                                                                          Did you watch the press conference this evening? Tony Holohan said that too many people are requesting tests that do not require them so they are imposing stricter conditions on GPs for test referrals. It seems a fever is now pretty much a mandatory symptom for testing. It was put to him that Claire Byrne tested positive yet had no fever but Dr Holohan said that the majority of cases would present with fever. My concern would be missing asymptomatic or mild cases but I suppose we have to trust the experts.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                            Where is this advice for everyone to wear masks coming from?
                                                                                                            Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                                                            From hitch's head. Official medical advice is to not wear masks as most people won't be wearing them effectively anyhow.

The whole thing about wearing mask is not that it saves you from catching it, but it can help stop you from spreading it, so in China if everyone wears a mask going out it should reduce the amount of community transmissions

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                            My pal in London his 1 year old almost certainly has it. Well his wife has it and now both him and the two kids have the same features. He's just monitoring temperature at the moment as there's not much else to do. Seems fairly manageable so far so guess they got lucky.
                                                                                                            Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                            Am I reading that right that there's 3x babies confirmed cases here? 22x under 14?

Thought I read that there were a total of 9x less than 1 year olds in China.

My 2 year old has been coughing a bit the last couple of days, no temperature or anything, or any other symptoms but a little worried nonetheless.
                                                                                                            Hi All

Yeah this is the worst thing about this... everyone who gets it reacts differently to it or more than likely lifestyle come's into play massively

Being over weight, smoker, emphysema, diabetes, COPD and obviously the immunosuppressed are at risk and anybody over 70!

and I dont think we are doing to bad compared to others...

Comment

Biden looking like he wouldn't make it through a campaign. Cuomo a possible substitute?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                Reading Truman Capote In Cold Blood at the moment, and it's just the most beautifully written book. Every sentence seems perfect like you are gliding through the story. Don't know quite how he does it. Nothing even slightly pretensious in the writing, no excessive words, just perfectly crafted.
                                                                                                                Wouldn't be convinced about the veracity of the reportage, but as you say the writing is exquisite.

Give this a go if you get a chance. It includes "Hand-carved Coffins", another true-crime masterpiece and "It All Came Down", an interview with Manson associate Bobby Beausoleil, along with beautiful short-stories, novellas, portraits and essays.

Comment

If any of y'all know how to get a radio code from a serial number then that'd be mighty swell - Seat Cordoba SEZ2Z9C1157251.
                                                                                                                  Figured I'd ask here before giving money to those ebay feckers. Can find so many car brands but not seat
                                                                                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

The numbers from New York are really terrifying...https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/o...ronavirus.html

The White House advised people who have passed through or left New York City that they should place themselves in a 14-day quarantine.

Comment

The fast track of fundamental socialist policies by the Neo Libs as their only out is fucking hilarious if the situation wasn't so serious.

Hopefully the rhetoric isn't just that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                                        I'm about as big a fan of the US as the leadership of Iran say they are. Maybe I'm getting soft, but even I won't get the schadefreude I would have expected from this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                                          The numbers from New York are really terrifying...
                                                                                                                          Breakdown of the state by state projections depending on implemented measures: https://covidactnow.org/

I'm not 100% sure of the people involved but interesting nonetheless.
                                                                                                                          If taken at face value, it shows how measures similar to ours; what it describes as "3m shelter in place" differs very little in end results from "3m lockdown(wuhan style).

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X