Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    You wouldn't believe the amount of gardening I'm getting through. Great displacement activity.

30 years of overgrown ivy to clear.
    So much gardening, power washing and painting to do. A ten week lockdown may not be enough.

Just be careful with all these home DIY and gardening activities as you don’t want to be paying a trip to A&E for reasons of stupidity.
    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

The brits are doing everything wrong. But still though. This is hilarious

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
          Lol. Yes. But, as mentioned, that's not a luxury decision I can make. I did ask the operations manager and HR before leaving on Friday what's the craic and was told its business as usual until someone gets the virus, then they will shut down to clean the place and back at it.
          We're not talking about luxuries here.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

If you were to close the airport, what do you with the hypothetical group of people who don't make the deadline to get back to their own country. Make them pay for a hotel? Bed down at airport? Direct provision?
            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

https://www.facebook.com/33481579721...sn=mo&d=n&vh=e

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
              Fuck 'em.
              Last edited by Denny Crane; 15-03-20, 13:00.

Comment

I'd expect Government chartered flights, probably straight to quarantine in your own country.
                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Just back from walk with dogs, never seen so many people out either running or walking

Comment

We're not talking about luxuries here.
                    Being able to say fuck it, I'm not going to work and just stay at home is a massive luxury.

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                      Just back from walk with dogs, never seen so many people out either running or walking
                      Loads out. Young lad's birthday next week so we went present shopping in Smyth's this morning as it might be closed next week. Place was packed with parents looking for stuff to entertain their kids. Board game aisle was looking like the hand-soap aisle.

Comment

I was due to be off work Monday and Wednesday (in addition to Tuesday) as was meant to be a groomsman at a wedding on Tuesday.

Wedding has been postponed and I'm absolutely gutted for the couple as they've been planning it for over a year.

While I could work from home, it is much easier to work in the office and as yet only non essential staff to operations have been told to work from home (finance, sales, account management) so if I was to cancel the holidays, I would be expected to go in.

I'm still of the opinion of taking the days as holidays and re-evaluating on Thursday, can't really see any good reason not to other than you could possibly argue it's a waste of holidays, but that argument is a bit thin to me.

Comment

Got the call to get tested today. Using my one time for this, please send love and protection. Love and selfless behaviour will heal this virus.

Comment

Monday booked off so have until Wednesday to close airport, or I'll be expected in
                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                              I'd expect Government chartered flights, probably straight to quarantine in your own country.
                              V doubtful in my opinion.
                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                Alot of pubs around here are closing tonight. First bit of sense at last.
                                Same here in Ashbourne. Few places have said they're closing until further notice. Lots of places in Kerry closing too. Great to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                  Wedding has been postponed and I'm absolutely gutted for the couple as they've been planning it for over a year.
                                  Fair play to them though, that's a very selfless decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                    It was really tough as they had gotten the all clear on it as the number of guests was only 80 and the venue moved them to a larger function room so tables could be spaced out further so technically they were allowed to go ahead.

However, they have a few family members who would be in the high risk category plus I think a fair few people were starting to panic and numbers may have gone down as a result so they chose to knock it on the head until hopefully Sept.

Not sure if or how much they will lose (too soon to go there) as everything was paid for in full with it being so close.

Comment

My brother was due to fly to Cologne on Friday to one of his best friends' stag; as of Tuesday the groom-to-be was still maintaining it was on, in the face of the reality of most of the participants saying 'eh, nah, you've got to cancel man'.

On Thursday that changed to 'OK, we won't go to Germany, but Cork should be fine, right?' but I believe events changed so much in the following 24 hours that they never went there either. It's a mad time for anyone with plans!

Incidentally I was in Cork on Friday night for a work meeting, last bit of work travel for the foreseeable future, seemed busy enough down there! I would imagine as of tomorrow things will be very different again, on my WhatsApp groups almost everyone has accepted that it is self-isolation from here on out.

Feel so sorry for the little kids stuck at home and not understanding why they can't go to see their friends, etc... God only knows what we will do with our fella over the coming weeks, he's too small to understand hygiene or any of that, is already throwing tantrums with all of the hand washing so I think we'll have to limit ourselves to a run around the estate once or twice per day and no playgrounds, etc... until we get the all clear.

I'm assuming those of us with elderly parents in other parts of Ireland are going to avoid them as well for the time being? That's also really sad, but at least video chat is a thing.

Comment

Being able to say fuck it, I'm not going to work and just stay at home is a massive luxury.
                                        If you don't work in an essential job, and I don't think you do, working from home (if you can) is the best option. Next best is staying at home. Going in to work in a non-essential job is the worst option.

Your work will still be there when this dies down. People who died because we didn't take every sensible precaution win't be.

Comment

Fucking blitz spirit again

Comment

If you don't work in an essential job, and I don't think you do, working from home (if you can) is the best option. Next best is staying at home. Going in to work in a non-essential job is the worst option.

Your work will still be there when this dies down. People who died because we didn't take every sensible precaution win't be.
                                            I wonder can Dobby pull off restocking vending machines from home?

Comment

It was really tough as they had gotten the all clear on it as the number of guests was only 80 and the venue moved them to a larger function room so tables could be spaced out further so technically they were allowed to go ahead.
                                              That's very tough. We have friends that were due to meet their venue with the remainder on Monday for a wedding in early April. They were resigned to it not going ahead last week as it is >100.

We were chatting earlier about it saying that 3 weeks ago, during the hen/stag, neither can recall one mention of it being a potential issue that might postpone the wedding.

The speed at which the situation has evolved really is incomprehensible.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

God only knows what we will do with our fella over the coming weeks, he's too small to understand hygiene or any of that, is already throwing tantrums with all of the hand washing so I think we'll have to limit ourselves to a run around the estate once or twice per day and no playgrounds, etc... until we get the all clear.
                                                All childrens' playgrounds in Dublin are already closed.

Comment

I dont work in an essential job. Working from home isnt an option. Work for a building suppliers, at base and on the road. Dealing with lots of people on sites etc.

Yes work will still be there, but they are telling us we are expected in and thats the point you seem to be missing. If we were told no work, that wouldnt be a problem. I stocked up on dog food the other day and I'd load up Netflix with the missus. I cant make the decision to not to go to work as I wont get paid and I cant afford that hit for too long.

If you have the option to not go in or WFH then you really are very lucky.

Hope that clears my position up some bit.

Comment

I dont work in an essential job. Working from home isnt an option. Work for a building suppliers, at base and on the road. Dealing with lots of people on sites etc.

Yes work will still be there, but they are telling us we are expected in and thats the point you seem to be missing. If we were told no work, that wouldnt be a problem. I stocked up on dog food the other day and I'd load up Netflix with the missus. I cant make the decision to not to go to work as I wont get paid and I cant afford that hit for too long.

If you have the option to not go in or WFH then you really are very lucky.

Hope that clears my position up some bit.
                                                    It does. I still wouldn't go to work though. Tell them you feel sick if you want an excuse.
                                                    And don't worry about money. Stop all your outbound direct debits if you have to and borrow enough for food.

Mrs DIII has a bunch of clients with cystic fibrosis. The prognosis for them if they get exposed to covid is very stark: they will die. And that applies to all ages. Really puts everyone else's fears into context.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                      I agree very selfless by the church and the hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                        Got the call to get tested today. Using my one time for this, please send love and protection. Love and selfless behaviour will heal this virus.
                                                        You're good people lad. Relax and breathe you're not getting chinned out. You do however need a new gig. Live poker fckd for a long long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                          https://countytops.wordpress.com/hig...ts-of-ireland/

A good resource to climb the highest peak in every county in Ireland.
                                                          A lad i know was 32 last year and did the highest peak and a 10K or half marathon run in each county through the course of the year.
                                                          Sounded like a great challenge, he had great fun doing it and used it to catch up with different people etc. He didn't plan it very well and ended up with a very busy December.
                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I know this is genuinely a life or death scenario for many but still telling people to not worry about money feels like it's coming from a far too comfortable personal perspective. Peoples future livelihood is on the line and not many have that sheer amount of selflessness to potentially put themselves into a near future poverty situation if at all avoidable.

Count myself blessed to have enough savings to see myself through worst case scenario outcomes but there were times younger in life where i couldn't have said the same and can only imagine what that pressure on top of everything else would feel like.
                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                              I agree very selfless by the church and the hotel.
                                                              The opposite of selfless.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                A lad i know was 32 last year and did the highest peak and a 10K or half marathon run in each county through the course of the year.
                                                                Sounded like a great challenge, he had great fun doing it and used it to catch up with different people etc. He didn't plan it very well and ended up with a very busy December.
                                                                Was it just me but reading this I was sure it was going to end with said lad dying a sudden or horrible death
                                                                Was full sure he was going to be 'steeped' at a minimum.

Comment

Anyone looking for a mid-range phone or even a second phone that they won't mind losing on nights out etc, the current offer for the Pixel 3A with Vodafone is incredible. The phone is still about €330 on Amazon/Google Website. If you buy it through Vodafone online and switch networks you get the phone for €179 and then Google are doing a promotion for March that you get an additional €50 off so the phone comes in at €129 total.

You can order a free sim card from one of the networks that do that and use it as the porting number so no need to switch from your current deal/network and the phone comes unlocked so is sim free out of the box. I have one and it is a really good phone, it has the same camera as the flagship model. It is an absolute steal at that price.

Order here and claim extra 50 here.

Opr

Comment

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Opr
                                                                      And Poland had already closed its border with them I think.
                                                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Northern Ireland poses a practical problem, but I think we need to shut down our points of egress and entry nonetheless and implore NI to do the same, let SF and the SDLP advocate for it as a follow on. That will put direct pressure on the U.K. over their approach.
                                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Another long post from the consultant doctor on Boards

Comment

Just finished cleaning the front windows
                                                                            Can now see clearly what all the panic is about

Stay safe all

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                              Northern Ireland poses a practical problem, but I think we need to shut down our points of egress and entry nonetheless and implore NI to do the same, let SF and the SDLP advocate for it as a follow on. That will put direct pressure on the U.K. over their approach.
                                                                              It is very much a practical problem but with Scotland & Wales falling in line with Britain's policy, I find it hard to believe they're going to alter their position to appease NI.

Britain have set out their stall on this, unless the pressure comes from within NI then we're unfortunately stuck with conflicting approaches until the UK feel it's right to adjust their directive.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                Another long post from the consultant doctor on Boards

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...postcount=6826
                                                                                Wouldnt believe that fella, seems to have something to prove. Only a member for 1 month. Reminds me of the doctors son on the latest episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Comment

I've reached 'shouting at the television' levels Every so called journalist at the BBC should go back and sleep in their bed instead of on the TV.

Comment

Rugby league games currently being played in packed stadium. It just beggars belief the unions let it happen ffs

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                      Now try working for yourself with overheads for the next few months.

Minus wages are great craic altogether.

Same here in Spain, all bars closed initially for 15 days but fully expecting it to be much longer than that.

Season hadn't really got going yet so didn't get a chance to build up any funds, had loads of gigs booked around Paddy's week (our parade was supposed to be today) can't even busk as we are not allowed leave the house except to go to pharmacy/hospital or supermarket

Police going around with loudspeakers telling people to stay indoors, checkpoints on roads to see where people are from and where they are going and if it's not an approved journey they are being fined 300 euro.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                        I've reached 'shouting at the television' levels Every so called journalist at the BBC should go back and sleep in their bed instead of on the TV.
                                                                                        Big jump in numbers for them today with 14 dead so we will if that stirs a reaction.

There have been 1,372 confirmed infections, a rise of 232 in a day.

The number of people who have died after testing positive for coronavirus in the UK has risen by 14 - the largest increase in a 24-hour period.
                                                                                        Opr

Comment

Which part don't you believe? Or do you just not believe any of it?
                                                                                          I didn't read the most recent post but the numbers he suggested last time of between 2%-10% mortality rate are way off.

Whatever about the lower bound being in the range but no official reports suggest a 10% upper bound will come to pass.

Comment

Which part don't you believe? Or do you just not believe any of it?
                                                                                            Ah only joking, didn't read most of it but watched Curb Your Enthusiasm Friday night which inspired the comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                              I didn't read the most recent post but the numbers he suggested last time of between 2%-10% mortality rate are way off.

Whatever about the lower bound being in the range but no official reports suggest a 10% upper bound will come to pass.
                                                                                              I thought the first post seemed quite mental in places but that second one just seems full of good practical advice and information. So no harm if he is an actual doctor or some loon sitting at home in a doctor's coat he bought online.

In regards to the death rate. Are we attributing what seems on the very high end of the % range to all the other factors they have at play in Italy that we shouldn't expect to be seen elsewhere? Health system unable to cope, the elderly population, lack of testing, etc. It currently sits at around 7%.

Opr

Comment

Of course today is the the the 4yo lad decides to split his head open off a doorframe. Mrs gone horseriding for the day. FML.

Comment

I know there is a lot of false info going around at the minute but I've heard and seen some stuff that suggests a full 14 day lockdown is imminent, announced either tomorrow or Tuesday morning.

The HSE/Garda have apparently bought/leased a lot of cars from a large car rental company in order to assist with the lockdown.

Maybe a lot of pubs self closing will stave this off for a bit but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it by 8am Tuesday at the latest.

Comment

Not sure how true this is but nice to see them following the rest of the country. Larry Santo has said he is closing after that game he had is played out tonight. Poker rooms definitely the worst place to be along with pubs for this thing.

Comment

I know there is a lot of false info going around at the minute but I've heard and seen some stuff that suggests a full 14 day lockdown is imminent, announced either tomorrow or Tuesday morning.

The HSE/Garda have apparently bought/leased a lot of cars from a large car rental company in order to assist with the lockdown.

Maybe a lot of pubs self closing will stave this off for a bit but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it by 8 am Tuesday at the latest.
                                                                                                      That all comes from this which is some completely unverified random on the internet. Unless you have some other sources but that is what is getting passed around on social media and WhatsApp as the source of this information

Opr

Comment

Got the work from home shout outside 2 x 4 hour task force shifts a week.
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

That all comes from this which is some completely unverified random on the internet. Unless you have some other sources but that is what is getting passed around on social media and WhatsApp as the source of this information

Opr
                                                                                                          I've been told who that person on the recording is, my source for this is extremely reliable and has a good relationship with them.

I've also seen photos of some rental cars in the car rental lot with Garda logos on them.

Maybe it is a wind up but if it is, a fair amount of time and effort has been put into it to make it credible, suppose all good wind ups need that.

My source is generally spot on with this type of stuff but only time will tell I guess.

Comment

Great article here on the impact one person can have.

For some reason most people I talk to seem to think you can only get it if someone coughs on you, that's crazy, it's a lot easier to get it/pass it on than that.

Comment

Just back from testing, you are given a number and told to go to a certain place,stay in the car and they come out and get you. Nasal and oral swab done, should have the results within 24/48 hours.

Comment

Good luck Sam. If we both have it we can isolate and play Chinese poker for 2 weeks solid.

Comment

.

In regards to the death rate. Are we attributing what seems on the very high end of the % range to all the other factors they have at play in Italy that we shouldn't expect to be seen elsewhere? Health system unable to cope, the elderly population, lack of testing, etc. It currently sits at around 7%.

Opr
                                                                                                                  Italy simply will have a higher death rate than most countries in the world primarily due to their age. If you were to let the virus run free in Italy and accurately recorded every single positive case, even then, you wouldn't get close to 10%.
                                                                                                                  I'm open to being wrong on that but I am yet to see anything convincing to say otherwise.

Italy compare rather well to Japan in regard to age so it may eventually offer a decent comparison in response and future development. Japan has one of the best healthcare systems in the world by survival rate for many ailments.
                                                                                                                  They've acted far quicker and seem to have it under control.
                                                                                                                  That said, Italy does have one of the most well equipped ICU healthcare systems in the world so perhaps they will offer a decent comparison of mortality rate.

Overall, mortality rate in many regions fails to capture the vast majority of cases which are mild. This is why SK offer the best dataset.
                                                                                                                  They have tested almost 300k people capturing many cases which would have gone undetected in almost any other region.

Generally those who die from the virus do so within 2-8 weeks of contraction. Assuming SK continues to trend as it is, we will know quite soon a good estimate of mortality rate for what will be the vast majority of first world regions.

My personal opinion on it is that the current WHO estimate will be close to the upper bound. Italy will end up somewhere around that 3.4% mark, SK will likely be around 0.8-1% and all other first world countries falling somewhere in between.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                                                                    Just back from testing, you are given a number and told to go to a certain place,stay in the car and they come out and get you. Nasal and oral swab done, should have the results within 24/48 hours.
                                                                                                                    Is this a result of contact tracing or did you specifically request to be tested? Best of luck either way.

Comment

Hopfully we can somehow avoid this in 2-3 weeks.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Big jump in numbers for them today with 14 dead so we will if that stirs a reaction.

Opr
                                                                                                                        From the Telegraph live feed earlier:

“People no longer need to contact NHS 111 if they believe they may have contracted coronavirus but instead, anyone with a high temperature or new continuous cough should stay at home for seven days.

"They should only contact NHS 111 if they feel they cannot cope with their symptoms at home, their condition gets worse, or their symptoms do not get better after seven days," Dr Shankar said.

Testing will focus on cases admitted to hospital, and based on symptoms and severity.”

That will keep the numbers down anyway. Political genius.

They also seem to be on a solo run of 7 days as opposed to 14, unless I'm misunderstanding stuff.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 15-03-20, 17:33.

Comment

I rang and reported my symptoms. I mentioned I had been in the Regency for all the tournaments which had a number of different nationalities playing. I also work with cash and am in probably 30 different bookies shops on a day to day basis. I was told to self isolate and expect a call within 48 hours. I was then called, given a location and a number and told to stay in the car until I was approached. Fully suited / zombie apoc guys then take you in for the testing. Temperature, some finger thing / blood pressure and then the swabs. Nasal was very uncomfortable. I asked their advice and very different / tone / responses from the three I asked.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X