Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
    Still think it is going to get called off.
    Currently 1/7 that we are racing on Tuesday.
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Freakonomics guy on Rogan was excellent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DETj3ncN19g
      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Will Irish poker events in hotels be going ahead March/April? They will need to make a decision soon..

Comment

Man my vegan hot chocolate launch event at insomnia got cancelled due to this virus, as the chocolatier can no longer fly in. Feeling it hitting hard now!

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
            Trying to set a line for the next 3 nights. What you think?

39.5 where i'm at right now.
            You should try and find out if all testing is still done at the NVRL, and if so are they working over the weekend. I'd expect a big bump on Monday evening as they catch up on the weekend samples.
            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Of course the world knows better than me . However shouldn’t we be putting most of our resources into protecting the most vulnerable in society as opposed to fighting a losing battle in trying to contain the virus (bear with me). The mortality rate is based on reported cases right? How many of us with mild conditions of a virus just shrug it off? There are probably as many more unreported cases as reported and as the effects in these people are mild they don’t come into consideration. SO the mortality rate is surely a lot lower than reported? I’m not saying don’t be ultra hygienic , but I don’t see the point in closing down the country for x amount of weeks to contain it coasting us billions when we could instead consider some way of keeping the virus from the old and compromised. (take CHDs babba for example) Perhaps these are the people who need to be isolated. Just some musings .

Feel free to mock.

Comment

University College Dublin academic and housing expert Orla Hegarty says.
                Christ.

Almost as bad as:

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                  Of course the world knows better than me . However shouldn’t we be putting most of our resources into protecting the most vulnerable in society as opposed to fighting a losing battle in trying to contain the virus (bear with me). The mortality rate is based on reported cases right? How many of us with mild conditions of a virus just shrug it off? There are probably as many more unreported cases as reported and as the effects in these people are mild they don’t come into consideration. SO the mortality rate is surely a lot lower than reported? I’m not saying don’t be ultra hygienic , but I don’t see the point in closing down the country for x amount of weeks to contain it coasting us billions when we could instead consider some way of keeping the virus from the old and compromised. (take CHDs babba for example) Perhaps these are the people who need to be isolated. Just some musings .

Feel free to mock.
                  The mortality rate is accurate. Places like Korea are doing population levels of testing, so it's not just the worst cases turning up.

The spread of the virus is a huge multipler effect, containment can cut the spread massively and reduce the peak number of infections. It's not going to take much for the health servies to be overwheled, I think we've only 250 ICU beds, and it's not like they're just currently lying empty.
                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 06-03-20, 14:51.

Comment

Hse direction to put up an Irish poster for every English one.... Logic
                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                      Hse direction to put up an Irish poster for every English one.... Logic
                      Isn't it the law ?

Comment

One of yesterday's cases is in arklow, not doing too bad and riding it out at home at the moment. This morning 2 more have tested positive in arklow one of which is a GP and a good few have gone up to Vincent's with symptoms. Got this from the same person who said there'd be 7 new cases announced after 8pm yesterday.

Comment

Isn't it the law ?
                          Yeah. Common sense should Trump it for important info like that. Double the English posters gets to more people.
                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                            One of yesterday's cases is in arklow, not doing too bad and riding it out at home at the moment. This morning 2 more have tested positive in arklow one of which is a GP and a good few have gone up to Vincent's with symptoms. Got this from the same person who said there'd be 7 new cases announced after 8pm yesterday.
                            Vincent's has a few to be announced according to office gossip
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

No doubt it will now follow the trajectory of other countries with a sharp spike in cases. The baffling thing as Denny points out is the nonfused attitude towards attempting to change how things play out here compared to other countries by attempting to implement more stringent measures early to decrease the initial contraction rates. We had enough information from other countries to know what works and what doesn't and how we could maybe intervene early but no attempts seem to have been made in that direction. Maybe more complex reasons exist beyond the surface for the approach taken but when you hear the reticence to canceling Paddy's Day it doesn't inspire confidence.

I think what is concerning for most people at this point is our capacity to cope if it did get out of hand in this country. China is the model of success in handling that situation and our capacity to implement and execute the kind of things they have done in such an expedient manner seems next to impossible.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                The baffling thing as Denny points out is the nonfused attitude towards attempting to change how things play out here compared to other countries by attempting to implement more stringent measures early to decrease the initial contraction rates.
                                no one wants to panic or even sound alarm in fear of being "unsound".
                                There's a ridiculous notion of "shure it'll be grand" that is fucking impossible to shake off people
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                    N

China is the model of success in handling that situation and our capacity to implement and execute the kind of things they have done in such an expedient manner seems next to impossible.

Opr
                                    They have contained it by means which no democracy can rationally follow and rightly so.

They're a shining example from a cohort of one.
                                    We effectively have no one to compare China to as of yet. If you take the proportion of the Chinese people who contracted the disease and compare them to South Korea/Italy/Iran, they're all negligibly small proportions. It will take time to determine who has actually dealt with the issue the most effectively.

I understand WHO have praised China's efforts but I don't buy that even an organisation of WHO's stature can obtain a vast range of data during a 10 day mission given China have successfully persecuted minorities for years without international organisations being aware.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                      The mortality rate is accurate. Places like Korea are doing population levels of testing, so it's not just the worst cases turning up.

The spread of the virus is a huge multipler effect, containment can cut the spread massively and reduce the peak number of infections. It's not going to take much for the health servies to be overwheled, I think we've only 250 ICU beds, and it's not like they're just currently lying empty.
                                      Buys us so much time by not allowing the virus to reach critical mass

Also, on the topic of ABSOLUTE NONSENSE in the Irish Times, an Aromatherapist advising how to use essential oils to make Anti-Bacterial replacement is up there.

They had to pull the article and replace it - https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...ater-1.4194017
                                      Last edited by Emmet; 06-03-20, 16:52.

Comment

Maybe 250 ICU beds but apparently only a handful of proper isolation units in the mater
                                        airport, lol

Comment

Pretty grim reading...

778 new cases and 49 new deaths in Italy. Total cases: 4,636. Total deaths: 197. Active cases: 3,916.
                                          - Among the 3,916 active cases, 2,394 (61%) are hospitalized, 462 of which (representing 12% of active cases) are in intensive care.
                                          - Among the 720 closed cases, 523 (73%) have recovered, 197 (27%) have died.

Comment

Was in Kinda similar position DP, have morphed from doing managed service style IT, to systems implementation,then to Business Analyst over the last 3/4 years. Aiming for CIO territory over next few years. Feels like going from secondary school to Uni, but with buckets of fiddies to ease the burden.
                                            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Singapore the real shining light in this whole thing. Quite amazing (and most likely close to true) figures there.

A bleak few months/years ahead for us

Comment

Didn’t realise israel had Effectively banned tourists from certain countries

Germany, France, Spain, Austria and Switzerland, China , Italy Singapore

Meanwhile we let a bunch of Italian rugby fans fly in for this weekend
                                                And Cheltenham still trying to get over the line, are they fucking mental? Smelly soap dodging degens handling loads of cash in large crowds what could go wrong?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                      On the plus side, finally an economic crisis that finance folks didn't start.
                                                      But yet another one economists didn’t predict!
                                                      Last edited by Guest; 06-03-20, 23:30.

Comment

Good doc on what a piece of shit friend of the horseracing industry Sheikh Mo is on bbc 2 now
                                                        Last edited by Guest; 06-03-20, 23:37.

Comment

Dubai or of the worst places I’ve ever visited

Comment

The performance of Barry McGovern in Watt out in Dun Laoghaire is worth the covid risk imo. Well worth a trip.
                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                              The performance of Barry McGovern in Watt out in Dun Laoghaire is worth the covid risk imo. Well worth a trip.
                                                              Missed that, last performance tomorrow don't think I can make it

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                Good doc on what a piece of shit friend of the horseracing industry Sheikh Mo is on bbc 2 now
                                                                And Cheltenham still trying to get over the line, are they fucking mental? Smelly soap dodging degens handling loads of cash in large crowds what could go wrong?
                                                                Be grand
                                                                Allah hu akbar

Never been to Edenderry then?
                                                                Last edited by Strewelpeter; 07-03-20, 00:06.

Comment

U not from Sligo/Donegal?

Comment

Pretty grim reading...
                                                                    Jaysus, they’re really struggling. Worse numbers than the Chinese by a significant margin. Numbers like this completely blow up the ‘just carry on because the economy’ arguments imo. Yes, a recession is worth it to save tens of thousands (potentially millions if it really gets loose) lives.
                                                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                      Jaysus, they’re really struggling. Worse numbers than the Chinese by a significant margin. Numbers like this completely blow up the ‘just carry on because the economy’ arguments imo. Yes, a recession is worth it to save tens of thousands (potentially millions if it really gets loose) lives.
                                                                      Which numbers are worse by a significant margin?

Using the numbers from the John Hopkins, I make it a death rate of

China: 3.83%
                                                                      Italy: 4.24%
                                                                      Iran: 2.61%
                                                                      South Korea: 0.65%

Infection rates:

China: 0.0057%
                                                                      Italy: 0.0085%
                                                                      Iran: 0.0059%
                                                                      South Korea: 0.013%

South Korea is interesting highest infection rate and lowest death rate.

Let's just hope economics is playing a part and there is some correlation between death rates and GNI.

South Korea and Italy right alongside each other in the mid 20s while Ireland sits in 6th.
                                                                      China obviously back down near the 60th mark.

Comment

It's all very speculative without further analysis of the figures. Samples are still relatively small everywhere outside China so an outbreak in a nursing home or hospice or similar could make the death rate look far more dramatic in a specific country than the reality.
                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                          It's all very speculative without further analysis of the figures. Samples are still relatively small everywhere outside China so an outbreak in a nursing home or hospice or similar could make the death rate look far more dramatic in a specific country than the reality.
                                                                          The samples are relatively small everywhere, the whole situation is nascent so determining anything from the numbers thus far is difficult. It will simply take more time to understand what has happened and how best to control it moving forward.

I read the guy who sounded the alarm, subsequently died from Covid 19 while on house arrest by Chinese authorities.
                                                                          Apparently he and others called for external investigations back in December but the Chinese refused

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                            The samples are relatively small everywhere, the whole situation is nascent so determining anything from the numbers thus far is difficult. It will simply take more time to understand what has happened and how best to control it moving forward.

I read the guy who sounded the alarm, subsequently died from Covid 19 while on house arrest by Chinese authorities.
                                                                            Apparently he and others called for external investigations back in December but the Chinese refused
                                                                            Probably rolled over him with a tank.
                                                                            Social media forced their hand communications wise.

Wash yer hands as be careful at communal touch points . Big reduction in other flus too.

Wont miss the Paddys day debauchery in Dublin anyway. Ruined by idiots last few years .

Comment

Should you avoid scratching your balls too?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                Eyeballs for sure .
                                                                                Others balls you can scratch otherwise why live on.

Comment

I would have thought a man such as yourself already had a ball-scratcher.

Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and you can upgrade to a solid gold version. Posibbly with a prostate massager extension.
                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Afaik he was detained and questioned for a short time in Dec when he started publicising the outbreak but was back at work at the coal face until he became infected himself.

Comment

A shit load of companies beginning to realise their disaster recovery plans aren't worth the paper they are written on.
                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                        Afaik he was detained and questioned for a short time in Dec when he started publicising the outbreak but was back at work at the coal face until he became infected himself.
                                                                                        Fair enough, just what I read here, not the detail and doesn't fit my narrative either https://science.sciencemag.org/content/367/6481/959

The courageous Li Wenliang, the Chinese physician who first sounded the alarm in December, was punished by authorities for his online comments before he then contracted the virus and died.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                            A shit load of companies beginning to realise their disaster recovery plans aren't worth the paper they are written on.
                                                                                            Why can't you take that PC, the one that is connected to the network by plugging it in via the cable on the wall home with you and work from there?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                              Why can't you take that PC, the one that is connected to the network by plugging it in via the cable on the wall home with you and work from there?
                                                                                              Meeting this week.

Big wig: OK. So most of out key HQ people, 700 or so, have laptops, we can all work from home. Great.

IT Guy in corner: Aaahh..... we only have a licence for 200 VPN connections at a time.

Even if we maxed out the connections the VPN infrastructure would probably bottleneck.

In the last six months everyone was upgraded to Windows 10 physical boxes. The question was asked at the time if we should just use VMs for all, in the cloud, and roll out dumb terminals to allow connections from anywhere using anything.
                                                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah Citrix type environments with cloud back ends is really the way things need to go everywhere but the level of resistance you meet on the topic is incredible. Funny thing is, when I was more at the coal face half a decade ago I was resistant to it too. Admin rights, flexibility, speed seem so important but once you start to see the bigger picture it’s very clear on the right direction.
                                                                                                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

In Boojum and when I went to pay, the girl behind the till asked if I had a student card.

I'm not going to lie, I blushed, somewhat swooned over her, paid and then skipped off to my seat like a giddy school child.

Comment

In Boojum and when I went to pay, the girl behind the till asked if I had a student card.

I'm not going to lie, I blushed, somewhat swooned over her, paid and then skipped off to my seat like a giddy school child.
                                                                                                    A few months ago was the first time a shop assistant called me 'Sir'

Comment

A few months ago was the first time a shop assistant called me 'Sir'
                                                                                                      Was there also the phrase "making a scene" in there?

Comment

Geeks get asked that all their life.

Comment

Geeks get asked that all their life.
                                                                                                          You're just jealous that nobody has thought you were a student since Ronnie Drew recorded The Irish Rover on his debut solo album.

Comment

You're just jealous that nobody has thought you were a student since Ronnie Drew recorded The Irish Rover on his debut solo album.
                                                                                                            True. Even when I was 15 I looked old so I'm used to being hurt so horribly by you unfeeling geeks . Dont bully me granddad they'd say as I placed my foot on their throat. Kids can be so cruel.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                              In the last six months everyone was upgraded to Windows 10 physical boxes. The question was asked at the time if we should just use VMs for all, in the cloud, and roll out dumb terminals to allow connections from anywhere using anything.
                                                                                                              Citrix +2FA + VPN is the current plan here.
                                                                                                              Personally I'm of the opinion citrix plus one of them is more than enough.
                                                                                                              Locking down phones is my current side hustle.
                                                                                                              Testing VMWare plus Boxer at the mo before trying InTune

Comment

Tuilagi fts. Straight down the middle, bullying them boyos.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                  Citrix +2FA + VPN is the current plan here.
                                                                                                                  Personally I'm of the opinion citrix plus one of them is more than enough.
                                                                                                                  Locking down phones is my current side hustle.
                                                                                                                  Testing VMWare plus Boxer at the mo before trying InTune
                                                                                                                  No talk in our place of protocols around access but plenty of working from home talk.

The advantages of a start up, I can ask the CTO on Monday as we sit next to one another.

The old company was Citrix and an in-house VPN.

Comment

Italy 1247 new cases today. Yikes. Into Wuhan territory now

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                                      Italy 1247 new cases today. Yikes. Into Wuhan territory now
                                                                                                                      Hopefully the quarantine zones are safer

At least 70 people were in the Xinjia Express Hotel, which was being used to observe people who had been in contact with patients

Comment

What a try! Superb

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X